╌>

The Pandemic Hits Home

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  151 comments

The Pandemic Hits Home
“After you find out all the things that can go wrong, your life becomes less about living and more about waiting.” ― Chuck Palahniuk, Choke

I heard the news today, oh boy....

The coronavirus became a whole lot less abstract to me today. I heard from a close friend, that his son has it, and now probably so does he and his wife. 

The irony is that although we live in New York, which the news keeps calling the epicenter of the epidemic, his son got the disease while sitting for the MCAT in Tennessee. He had heard that a couple of friends had come down with it, and my friend had his son and himself tested, just to be safe. By the time he got home and through the door to his wife, they got the news that his son had shown positive for the coronavirus, and so far, my friend had not. Now they all have to quarantine in place, till it's their turn to be tested, which might take up to 4-5 days here in New York since we are now in testing overdrive. 

Until today, my 86 year old dad was running out to the Home Depot or doing some shopping despite my sister's and my pleas not to be so cavalier. My hubby was doing the same thing. Each claimed they were being careful. I know my friend and he probably was pretty much like my dad and hubby until this. I mean, how careful can you be in a pandemic? I would say, probably not enough. 

These next couple of weeks will probably be like none we will live through and I am sure they will be very trying. My only advice is to not panic but to take whatever you are asked to do seriously, even if it seems extreme with social distancing. If not for yourself, but for someone you care about. 

The Chinese have an old curse; May you live in interesting times. They don't get more interesting than these. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Well, now it seems all too real to me. I wish you all good health. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    4 years ago

Some people say that 60-100 million Americans will eventually be positive for this virus. Might be now, might be later, might be next year. The only way to avoid this is to test everyone and have those that test positive quarantined until they dont test positive anymore. This would actually work but doesnt seem practical. 

We need national leadership that we are not getting. That may sound partisan, but it is the brutal truth. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1    4 years ago

I have to agree with you that those might be the numbers. I think we might have to have a sitewide voluntary report in to make sure everyone here is OK. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    4 years ago

And you as well, Perrie. Stay safe

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2    4 years ago

You too, Trout. Stay safe and stay well. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.4  devangelical  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    4 years ago

one of my sons is at the Dr's office now, getting tested. he's been sick with a "cold" for 2 weeks and was in Hawaii 2 weeks earlier. he has a history of asthma and works in hospitals installing computer infrastructure. I'm waiting to hear back from him now, since our entire family has been exposed to him.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.4.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  devangelical @1.4    4 years ago

Best wishes to you, your son, and the rest of your family........................

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.4.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  devangelical @1.4    4 years ago

I hope he doesn't have it, but if he does, only good wishes to your son and your family. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.4.3  1stwarrior  replied to  devangelical @1.4    4 years ago

Best wishes De.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.4.4  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @1.4    4 years ago

Any news yet?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.4.5  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.4.4    4 years ago

a severe case of bronchitis was the diagnosis. he got a meds prescription. his Dr. had no covid-19 tests available. son goes back in after the meds run out in 2 weeks if they don't work.

looks like my revenge based killing spree is now on hold until further notice. /s

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.4.6  pat wilson  replied to  devangelical @1.4.5    4 years ago

Hoping for the best. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.4.7  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @1.4.5    4 years ago
a severe case of bronchitis was the diagnosis.

I never thought I would say this about a severe case of bronchitis, but thank goodness.  However, there have been many misdiagnosed cases because a proper test wasn't available.  I know he is a big boy and will stay on top of things, but still...

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.4.8  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.4.7    4 years ago

we're not too worried at the moment, besides, his mother is an ultra-hypochondriac.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
1.5  Freewill  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    4 years ago

Best wishes for your friends Perrie! I have a cousin who has be quarantined due to his attendance at a large award ceremony (he actually received an award) in late February where another attendee subsequently tested positive for Covid-19.  No word yet on whether he has been tested for the virus, or has any symptoms.  All we can do is hope for the best for those already exposed, and be smart and do our part to keep this crap from spreading.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Sorry to hear about your friend. Take solace in the fact that a large majority of people recover, even among those over 60. 

Your dad should probably not go out any more, or certainly not as often until this is over. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 years ago

I'm trying to be philosophical about this, and obviously I am worried about my friends and my parents, for different reasons. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

It is a serious inconvenience, but if you are very careful as we have been and not try to be a hero, the problem will eventually subside, which is what has started to happen here.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    4 years ago

I'm not sure if that is true. I mean why are you still locked in?

CB
Professor Principal
4  CB    4 years ago
I mean, how careful can you be in a pandemic?

Each day, I have looked at the innocent faces at Home Depot and the grocery story chain I have gone to for years now. They are on the front lines ringing up people with carts loaded down and service product requests and making cash and carry (intimate contacts). Those bright young faces still smiling get in as close as they always have most with a mass. Home Depot still has the large heaters running above the front registers . . . .  What are these people ingesting as they work through a shift lifting, smiling, talking, and responding to everything asked of them? And the cash transactions. . . . Exposure is a thing to be admired in them.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  JohnRussell  replied to  CB @4    4 years ago

I would guess they think because they are young it will be a breeze. 

CB
Professor Principal
4.1.1  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    4 years ago

It's innocence. The managers (more experienced staff - owners) are not protecting them. The youth are well, youth. Translation: They think the managers and owners are 'covering' them from danger. Even the informed of youth, were told up until today. . . it's old people, the elderly even, who need to take added precautions. . . .

There are not many youth I can think of in our country who can fathom what it means to come up against a germ "naked." The youth have been through a lot. But again, have they?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  CB @4    4 years ago

I have to agree with you CB. I feel very sorry for those who have to work and put their health in danger. Then we have dumb kids who are out doing spring break in mass, not giving a damn about if they get infected since they think they are invincible, even if their families are not.

Uptownchick
Junior Silent
5  Uptownchick    4 years ago

So sorry to hear this Perrie. Hopefully all recover and sooner rather than later. Stay safe.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Uptownchick @5    4 years ago

Thanks Uppy! We are going to check in with them today. You should stay safe also. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
5.2  charger 383  replied to  Uptownchick @5    4 years ago

Uptown and Perrie  and everybody be careful and try to avoid it 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  charger 383 @5.2    4 years ago

You too Charger! I just spoke to my friend and now his son is running a bad fever. It took a while to actually get sick, but that is why this virus is so tricky. 

evilone
Professor Guide
7  evilone    4 years ago

Sorry to hear the news. I'm sure there will be many more stories to share in the coming weeks. 

Now they all have to quarantine in place, till it's their turn to be tested, which might take up to 4-5 days here in New York since we are now in testing overdrive. 

Here you can't get tested unless you are so sick you need hospital admittance. A local van driver had a dry cough and was told he couldn't come come back to work unless he got tested and brought a note back from his doctor proving he was negative. They absolutely won't test unless you have a high fever and are so short of breath you need immediate medical attention. 

Also my sister and her husband were 2 of several let go by the company they worked for. Under a special MN law they should be able to apply for unemployment.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  evilone @7    4 years ago

It's pretty much the same thing here in NY. In the case of my friend, when you have a family member showing positive then they will test you, but they push you a bit back on the line from others who are running a fever. 

As for unemployment, at least they will get money. I think there is going to be more of that to come.

Stay safe EG!

evilone
Professor Guide
7.1.1  evilone  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1    4 years ago

I'm setting up my gf to work from home starting tomorrow. I've volunteered to man the front office while others work from home when they don't have face to face meetings with clients. It's been really slow all week.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
8  lady in black    4 years ago

My heart goes out to all.

I'm still at work, will be remoting/coming in on a rotating basis starting next week...I get tomorrow off fully compensated by the firm.

3 days in the office, 2 days remote then 3 days remote, 2 days in the office.

I give my firm high praise and especially the IT department, they have been working like crazy getting pcs together for everyone....there are more than 200 employees between Buffalo, Saratoga Springs, NYC, Toronto, Albany, Palm Beach and Rochester.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  lady in black @8    4 years ago

My daughter is working remotely, but not her boyfriend. They are trying to arrange for that but it hasn't happened yet.

devangelical
Professor Principal
8.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.1    4 years ago

tell him to start coughing and wiping his nose a lot...

Veronica
Professor Guide
8.2  Veronica  replied to  lady in black @8    4 years ago

I am in Rochester.  URMC data nerd.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.2.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Veronica @8.2    4 years ago

Hello fellow NYers! Stay safe!

lady in black
Professor Quiet
8.3  lady in black  replied to  lady in black @8    4 years ago

Here's my at home work station

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
8.3.1  1stwarrior  replied to  lady in black @8.3    4 years ago

Damn - a USMC flag - Semper Fi Lady - Semper Fi.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
8.3.2  lady in black  replied to  1stwarrior @8.3.1    4 years ago

My late son was the Marine.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
9  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

Stay safe everybody!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Larry Hampton @9    4 years ago

You too Larry!!

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
10  1stwarrior    4 years ago

From the team of "Experts" - the CDC -

U.S. Influenza cases 10/1/19 - 3/19/20 -  Affected - 36,000,000 - 51,000,000; deaths - 22,000 - 55,000 - and, yes, those are Millions of illnesses and Thousands of deaths.

Coronavirus cases 10/1/19 - 3/19/20 - Affected - 8,317; deaths - 140

Quite a bit of difference, ya think?

Like your Dad, since I've already had the flu for six weeks - I ain't too worried.

Perrie, I wish the best for you and your family.  And, yes, these are going to be interesting times.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  1stwarrior @10    4 years ago

1st,

We really don't know how bad this will get since it really just hit us. The transmission rate is much higher than the flu and the life span of the virus on surfaces is much longer, too. I have been reading the literature on it, and frankly, it's kind of a "Frankenvirus". Some get it mildly while others die. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
10.1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10.1    4 years ago

Perrie - that is pretty much the crux of the situation.  We don't know enough about it to be broadcasting good and/or bad shyte as to what to do, what to expect, how to treat, etc., and the general population, with the help of the media, are just running with anything/everything.  Having worked in the environmental world for a long time, I've found that I am always suspect of initial findings.  I want more evidence/findings to support any of the pillars being built.  Right now, we don't have that.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
10.1.2  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  1stwarrior @10.1.1    4 years ago

1st,

This is not the time to wait. Waiting can kill. Better safe than sorry and there is no taking back our actions once they are in play.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
10.1.3  1stwarrior  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @10.1.2    4 years ago

True Perrie, but I'd rather have an axe to cut down a tree than a scalpel and it takes time to determine which is more effective/efficient and for the most good.

CB
Professor Principal
10.2  CB  replied to  1stwarrior @10    4 years ago

It makes a lot of difference when the difference is, you and what you call yours. (Smile.)

Veronica
Professor Guide
11  Veronica    4 years ago
even if it seems extreme with social distancing.

My employer, in Western NY, has begun allowing remote working.  My supervisor filed my request paperwork as soon as it became available.  Because we work at a medical center all workers are considered "essential" and they are being very selective in allowing remote working.  My supervisor filed with my reason for needing it is that my daughter is "immune-compromised" and it would be dangerous for her if I brought it home... so today is my first day of remote working.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.1  author  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Veronica @11    4 years ago

Glad that you are remotely working. My daughter and her boyfriend are both non-essential health workers, but are still working, which really blows for them.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
16  MrFrost    4 years ago

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
17  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

There is now a confirmed case 2 miles from my parents' home.

Mom's pastor refuses to cancel church services.  Their congregation consists of almost entirely senior citizens, many with severe health problems already jrSmiley_42_smiley_image.gif   Mom promised me she wouldn't go to church.  She and Dad are pretty healthy, but still.

My brother is laid off for the time being.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
18  1stwarrior    4 years ago

THEY CLOSED THE FRIGGIN' GOLF COURSE jrSmiley_44_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_44_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_44_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_1_smiley_image.png