╌>

At the same time Trump was calling the virus concerns a hoax, a key US senator was telling a private business group that things would get bad

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  75 comments

At the same time Trump was calling the virus concerns a hoax, a key US senator was telling a private business group that things would get bad
That same day President Trump was telling the American people   "It's going to disappear. One day, like a miracle, it could disappear.

On Feb 27 Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr was telling a private North Carolina business group 

"One thing I can tell you about this, it is much more aggressive, in terms of transmission, than anything we have seen in recent history. It's probably more akin to the 1918 pandemic."

That same day President Trump was telling the American people  

"It's going to disappear. One day, like a miracle, it could disappear. From our shores , it could get worse before it gets better, it could maybe go away. We'll see what happens. 

The next day, Feb 28, Trump told the American people that the virus concern was a Democratic hoax. 

"Coronavirus, they’re politicizing it. We did one of the great jobs. You say, “How’s President Trump doing?” They go, “Oh, not good, not good.” They have no clue. They don’t have any clue. "

========================================================================

Richard Burr has expertise on pandemics.

The Pandemic and All-Hazards Preparedness and Advancing Innovation Act of 2019 (S. 1379) was introduced in the Senate by Richard Burr on  May 8, 2019 . On May 15, the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions passed the bill by unanimous consent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic_and_All-Hazards_Preparedness_and_Advancing_Innovation_Act

=========================================================================

related

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/19/818192535/burr-recording-sparks-questions-about-private-comments-on-covid-19

https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts/donald-trump-charleston-south-carolina-rally-transcript-february-28-2020

https://theguardiansofdemocracy.com/trump-offers-coronavirus-update-one-day-it-will-be-like-a-miracle-it-will-disappear/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Richard Burr didnt tell the people of this country or his own state that the situation would get bad, he told a private business group of supporters. 

Burr seems to have known, through his understanding of pandemics as the chairman of the Senate committee that deals with that topic, what the situation was. But the president of the United States did not.  Trump wanted to put the topic under the carpet. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Trump, Liar in Chief, had made light of the entire affair until Monday's speech. HIS economy, as he has ALWAYS stated, was going to take a serious hit, so rather than accept it, as thinking people KNOW it's not actually all his fault, as presidents can  only impact the economy so much, he chose to LIE, as usual, so as to downplay the seriousness of the Corona Virus. Advising the opposite of what the Experts were saying. 

Now he claims he knew it was a pandemic befoew WHO ...

i'm thinking Cindi Lew told him.

Cindy Lew Who from WHOville.

Then, as his Hands grew 10 times the size of his 100 size too small pair, finally grew,

a pear, and stated the Truth for once, leaving him attempting

to show that he truly did care, while i don't

Be leave he does.

What a friiggin Loser potUS !

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1    4 years ago

Now we will be called "haters". 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    4 years ago

And fake news hucksters seeing as how Burr clearly warned the American people back on Feb. 7th. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1.3  igknorantzrulz  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    4 years ago

Now we will be called "haters". 

good

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.4  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1.1.2    4 years ago

lol. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Dulay  replied to  Dean Moriarty @1.1.2    4 years ago
And fake news hucksters seeing as how Burr clearly warned the American people back on Feb. 7th. 

Based on your comment, you clearly didn't actually READ the Feb. 7th Op/Ed. 

Burr 'clearly' had some pretty high expectations of HHS's preparedness and competency. In hindsight, I can't imagine that he or Alexander would say that the HHS has lived up to it's mandate. 

Here is an interesting statement from the Op/Ed:

PAHPA created the position of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response at HHS so there is no question whose responsibility it is to ensure our country is ready to respond to these types of emergencies.

GREAT! Now we know who's is responsible for this debacle. Of course, nobody in the general public knows who the fuck he is nor has any of us seen this guy in any of the press conferences that they've held. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.6  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    4 years ago

The truth is what it is regarding that.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.7  XXJefferson51  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1    4 years ago

All the sources used here are questionable at best to neutral observers as well as conservatives.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

[deleted]

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

This was in an op ed from Burr on Feb. 7th. 

Americans are rightfully concerned about the coronavirus -- there are 12 confirmed cases of this new infectious disease in the United States, and the ability of the virus to rapidly spread in China, where it has infected more than 24,300 people and left 491 dead, is alarming.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    4 years ago

That op-ed is pro administration spin. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    4 years ago

In other words, it’s the truth.  Trump’s critics on this issue are nothing more than useful idiot mouthpieces of the Chinese Communist Party.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.1    4 years ago
That op-ed is pro administration spin. 
-
-
In other words, it’s the truth.

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

Cathar
Freshman Silent
2.1.3  Cathar  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    4 years ago

tRumo is branding himself the "War Time " President". Yes, in the fashion of Benito Mussolini except less competent.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.5  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    4 years ago

So, John...I've asked you many, many times in the past to post one seed that you have seeded over the years that is anti Trump that has come out to be true, and so far you have yet to be able to do it.

Think you can do it now?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.6  author  JohnRussell  replied to    4 years ago

I'm not frightened for my self. Even though I am over 60, I have full faith I would get through a bout with this and come out on the other side. 

I am scared for the future of this country. We need much better leadership. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.7  author  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @2.1.5    4 years ago

I've done so many times. 

Bugsy, I dont care what you think. Do you understand that? 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.8  1stwarrior  replied to    4 years ago

From the team of "Experts" - the CDC -

U.S. Influenza cases 10/1/19 - 3/19/20 -  Affected - 36,000,000 - 51,000,000; deaths - 22,000 - 55,000

Coronavirus cases 10/1/19 - 3/19/20 - Affected - 8,317; deaths - 140

Quite a bit of difference, ya think?

Since I've already had the flu for six weeks - I ain't too worried.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.9  author  JohnRussell  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.8    4 years ago
Reuters
@Reuters
The first coronavirus case in the U.S. and South Korea was detected on the same day. By late January, Seoul had medical companies starting to work on a diagnostic test — one was approved a week later. Today, the U.S. isn’t even close to meeting test demand
ETa28bEWAAAYIqW?format=jpg&name=small

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.8    4 years ago

Nice choice of dates for comparison, there.  You think maybe including, what, almost 4 months before coronavirus was reported in the US, maybe skewed the results just a bit?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.11  author  JohnRussell  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.8    4 years ago

Maybe you ought to be worried that you've had the flu for six weeks.  Get well soon. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.12  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.11    4 years ago

Thanks John - yeah, the flu is gone - just an occasional nose dribble - but, hell, it's "winter" down here in NM and the flowers are starting to bloom, so I'll get restocked on allergy stuff.  What a life, eh? jrSmiley_40_smiley_image.gif

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.13  1stwarrior  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.10    4 years ago

The CDC website just breaks it down starting 1 Oct - beginning of the fiscal year I guess.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.15  sandy-2021492  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.13    4 years ago

I get it.  It's just not a very good comparison.  A  more valid one would compare flu deaths from the same date as when coronavirus was first reported, which was January 20th, IIRC.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.16  FLYNAVY1  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.8    4 years ago

Actually 1st... You should be more concerned now after having the flu.  Your immune system is being taxed, and might bring less than it's best if it had to fight a war on two fronts.

Secondly, there are viral treatments for most strains of flu and your body has some previous immunity to fight it.  (the fact that having it for six weeks, and you're still functioning supports my point.)  

This is a new virus, and nobody has an immunity to it from what I understand.  Secondly, and most critical is that it has a respiratory facet that can become viral pneumonia that seems to be deadly.

I'd like to think you're going to be here to keep calling me a liberal-pinko, and if I can help in your clarity of thought to accomplish that my friend, then I will.  

Think about it, screw the political talking points, stay smart like I know your are, and stay healty!

Fly..

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.17  1stwarrior  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.16    4 years ago

Fly my friend - as usual, great points.

But, you know I always like to look outside the envelope, so here's another caveat.  Went to my Cardiologist last Friday to see when I needed to be scheduled for my annual nuclear stress test and 90 minute CT chest scan.  I hate going to this person - and I also love it - 'cause there's always "something else" that needs to be done.

Well, after the EKG, a lot of chest pounding/listening and pulse taking, she sat back in her chair with a very, very strong look of disbelief.  I looked at her and said "wassup" and she just shook her head.  "Ya know W2, you amaze and concern me.  You are in remarkably good condition considering what we've put you through.  That being said, I don't wanna see you for another year and that'll be just for an office visit.  Concerned?  How did you survive your attack and how have you survived the flu for six weeks?  Also, keep doing that golf thingy like you are 'cause, obviously, it's helping."

Told her it's 'cause I'm Chickasaw and we just don't quit and that I've never made a hole-in-one, to which she gave out a huge belly laugh.  "Well, keep it up and we'll see ya next year."

With fingers crossed and bow at the ready - gonna be here to piss a lotta folks on NT off for a long time and to keep our wonderful banter continually flowing.

Thanks Fly.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.18  FLYNAVY1  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.17    4 years ago

Wait till you get my bill...…!  :)

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.20  1stwarrior  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.18    4 years ago

Speaking of bills - heard an interesting fact yesterday.  Did you know that there are more airplanes in the ocean than there are ships in the sky?

Who woulda known, eh?

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.21  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.7    4 years ago

[deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.22  bugsy  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.10    4 years ago

I posted something yesterday that stated that the coronavirus was first detected in the US in mid January, so from then to now, with 150 deaths, it is averaged at 2.5 deaths a day.

In contrast, the flu started in August. With that in mind, there have been an estimated 10000 deaths from then to early February, an estimated 230 days. The DAILY death rate of the flu virus is about 50 people.

A big difference,.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.23  sandy-2021492  replied to  bugsy @2.1.22    4 years ago

I hope it continues to stay so low.  I fear that it won't.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.24  Split Personality  replied to  bugsy @2.1.22    4 years ago

But Italy's experience is vastly different; I believe they are up to 350 deaths per day?

41,000 cases that we know of, 3400 deaths confirmed.  That's over 8%.

That's what we need to avoid.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.25  bugsy  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.1.23    4 years ago

So do I. I believe that our government has done a good job of keeping this to the best minimum they can, from federal to local. One exception is DeBlasio complaining that the federal government is not doing enough for NYC.

I think he needs to do 2 things. 1. Look at his own actions and when he first took action and 2. He should go to Cuomo first before he cries about fed help.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.26  FLYNAVY1  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.20    4 years ago

....more airplanes in the ocean than there are ships in the sky?

Oh gravity...... Thou art a heartless bitch! 

It makes total sense.   How's your health today 1st?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.27  1stwarrior  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.26    4 years ago

Going to the driving range this morning - got a tournament tomorrow.  Glad to get outta da house 'cause Granma, Ma-in-law, wife and 8 cats is DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!!

In other words - doing great Fly - thanks for asking.

BTW - didn't you say you're stateside for some reason?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.28  FLYNAVY1  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.27    4 years ago

Yep..... Moved back from Germany in early December after eight years between Finland and Germany.  Happy to be back.  We miss our friends there, the food, and of course the beer, but we're home now.

Home is now in Illinois, but working out of a plant in Connecticut.

Good luck with the little white ball!  May the Golf gods be with you!

(8 cats.....! What, are you keeping them around for times of famine, or is that what the ma-in-law is for?/s) 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.29  1stwarrior  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.28    4 years ago

Glad you're back and safe - don't be a stranger.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.30  FLYNAVY1  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.29    4 years ago

Nobody stranger than me and you know it.  I keep telling you... I'm one of the few they would let off the boat!

Stay healthy my friend! and..... "Be the ball!"

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.31  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.6    4 years ago
I'm not frightened for my self. Even though I am over 60, I have full faith I would get through a bout with this and come out on the other side. 

Likewiae. And in addition, I am taking practical, concrete steps to build up my immune system.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.32  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1.2    4 years ago

55-56% of the public supports the President and his handling of this issue. It’s time for the people of the country to unite in our conflict with this Chinese import Wuhan virus.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.33  author  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.32    4 years ago

Most people are not interested in your ceaseless pro-Trump propaganda. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.34  author  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.32    4 years ago

Have you been praying for the virus to go away? Why hasnt it worked yet? 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.35  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  1stwarrior @2.1.27    4 years ago

The golf courses here remain open but they are taking precautions such as only one person per cart.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
2.1.36  1stwarrior  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.1.35    4 years ago

Pretty much the same here.  They've taken out the ball washers, turned off the water fountains, taken out the "Cans Only" trash receptacles, no food is distributed by the restaurant to the course, the Course Marshal's who carried a 5 gallon thermos has put those up, and no cups distributed by the cart personnel.  They are also debating on the sales of drinks from the cart personnel or any type of snacks.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.2  Dulay  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    4 years ago

From the Op/Ed:

The work of Congress and the administration has allowed U.S. public health officials to move swiftly and decisively in the last few weeks.

SURE IT DID. 

All of these steps are part of the response framework Congress has put in place to ensure we are prepared for disease outbreaks and other public health threats.

Obviously it DID NOT ensure that we were prepared. 

Through PAHPA, Congress also gave HHS additional authorities to prioritize funding for the development of vaccines for new diseases and bolster our network of doctors, nurses, and medical professionals so that they are ready to respond to any scenario. And we improved the Public Health Emergency Fund to ensure those on the frontlines have quicker access to funds they need.

Demonstrably FALSE. 

No matter the outbreak or threat, Congress and the federal government have been vigilant in identifying gaps in its readiness efforts and improving its response capabilities.

Ya, that's why Trump told governors to procure ventilators on their own and why nurses and doctors are using makeshift masks. 

The public health preparedness and response framework that Congress has put in place and that the Trump Administration is actively implementing today is helping to protect Americans. 

Today's CDC update: Total cases: 10,442 Total deaths: 150

Over the years, this framework has been designed to be flexible and innovative so that we are not only ready to face the coronavirus today but new public health threats in the future.

Then whoever 'designed' it should be shot. 

Cathar
Freshman Silent
3  Cathar    4 years ago

There are liars, damnable liars and then there is tRump [Deleted]

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Cathar @3    4 years ago

If anyone who just watched that disgraceful PC he held still support him, then they need to get psych tested because they are not playing with a full deck.

Cathar
Freshman Silent
4  Cathar    4 years ago

jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif tRump keeps digging a hole that is burying him and the GOP. He LIED to the American people about Covid 19 and is now trying to brand himself as a War TIme President. Except he only thought of this three days ago. So much for him being a steward of our economy more like the Captain on the Titanic,

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

FACT CHECK: DID TRUMP CALL THE CORONAVIRUS A ‘HOAX’ AT HIS SOUTH CAROLINA RALLY?

Politico published an  article  claiming President Donald Trump called the novel coronavirus a “hoax” at his Feb. 28 campaign rally in South Carolina.

Verdict: False

Trump referred to the alleged “politicizing” of the coronavirus by Democrats as “their new hoax.” He did not refer to the coronavirus itself as a hoax. Throughout the speech, Trump reiterates his administration is taking the threat of the coronavirus seriously.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    4 years ago

That truth won't matter one little bit to the TDS-infected folks.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.2  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    4 years ago

None the less, it was Trump politicizing the virus. 

What's True

During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax."

During the speech he also seemed to downplay the severity of the outbreak, comparing it to the common flu.

What's False

Despite creating some confusion with his remarks, Trump did not call the coronavirus itself a hoax.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2.1  Krishna  replied to  Split Personality @5.2    4 years ago
During a Feb. 28, 2020, campaign rally in South Carolina, President Donald Trump likened the Democrats' criticism of his administration's response to the new coronavirus outbreak to their efforts to impeach him, saying "this is their new hoax."

Yes I remember that.

And let's not forget what Sean Hannity said (and for those wanting to deny it, I saw Hannity say it, live, on Faux News when it happened!)

CB
Professor Principal
5.2.2  CB  replied to  Split Personality @5.2    4 years ago

The thing to remember the next time you listen to Trump speak is: He is doing this "Alt-Right" concept of being conservatively nasty, crude, and rude crafed with a line of plausible deniability.

It's a type of game Trump and his ALT Right conservatives partners are comfortable playing. He makes wildly stupid and outrageous statements and when the words are parsed, he always insist that the  "other" innocuous meaning is the correct way to process his statements..Trump does it all the time, which are why his speeches are always mealymouthed and excessively wordy.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    4 years ago

Taking it seriously, really?  He still insists on shaking hands with people, him and Pense because that is what "politicians do".

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5.4.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.4    4 years ago

And that is your problem with him?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.4.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Vic Eldred @5.4.1    4 years ago

I wish it were the only problem.

PJ
Masters Quiet
6  PJ    4 years ago

It seems Burr is not a patriot who wants to serve the people of the country by going public with his concerns and his experience.  He turned out to be just another lousy republican.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1  Texan1211  replied to  PJ @6    4 years ago
It seems Burr is not a patriot who wants to serve the people of the country by going public with his concerns and his experience.  He turned out to be just another lousy republican.  

Hogwash.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Texan1211 @6.1    4 years ago

Hogwash?  How so?

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    4 years ago

This too.  Senator Burr, his wife and a few of his close friends dumped a bunch of stocks and other investments within a matter of days when he learned of the COVID19 trajectory probabilities.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  bbl-1 @7    4 years ago

All four of the senators need to be investigated for insider trading and charges brought if the evidence points to the same.  

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Dulay  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.1    4 years ago

Yes and NOT by the Senate 'Ethics' Committee. The FTC should investigate. Loeffler's husband is the chairman of the NY Stock Exchange FFS. 

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Ender  replied to  Dulay @7.1.1    4 years ago
and NOT by the Senate 'Ethics' Committee

No kidding. They would probably say, just don't do it again, mmnkay...

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Dulay @7.1.1    4 years ago

How convenient...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  bbl-1 @7    4 years ago

Thanks for mentioning that. I heard that on teh news this morning and was trying to connect him with this seed.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.2    4 years ago

Pretty much what Trump said today when the only name he could remember was Diane Feinstein (D) whose assets are in a blind trust.  Her husband made lots of trades recently.

Imahofe (R) says he never attended the Senate briefing and doesn't manage his stock portfolio.

Burr (R) (the fiercest opponent of the Stock Act of 2012) and his wife dumped 33 stocks.

Loeffler (R) a former international Exchange executive who is married to the current head of the New York Stock Exchange dumped $3million worth of stocks, potentially exposing both herself and her husband to regulatory and criminal investigations.

The POTUS dismissed the question of impropriety or investigations,

stating that they were all smart and honorable people...

CB
Professor Principal
7.2.2  CB  replied to  Split Personality @7.2.1    4 years ago

This is not Diane's first rodeo with this. For shame.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.4  Krishna  replied to  bbl-1 @7    4 years ago
This too.  Senator Burr, his wife and a few of his close friends dumped a bunch of stocks and other investments within a matter of days when he learned of the COVID19 trajectory probabilities.

Yes-- and if I'm not mistaken that story just broke yesterday. And there's a lot more going to be uncovered in the next few days (well, actually in the next few hours). This is news of major importance. Stay tuned...

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7.4.1  bbl-1  replied to  Krishna @7.4    4 years ago

This will be lost in the Trumpian flotsam of new crap every minute just like the Khashoggi assassination.

Besides, as a general rule republicans usually have a better chance of skating through things like this.  Feinstein's husband did the sell offs, but don't be surprised if she is the one forced to testify under oath at the behest of the GOP inquisition.