╌>

CDC suggests nurses use bandanas, scarves during face mask shortage

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  larry-hampton  •  4 years ago  •  93 comments

CDC suggests nurses use bandanas, scarves during face mask shortage
CDC acknowledges recommendations are out of step with U.S. standards of care

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

As the national shortage of face masks becomes severe, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says nurses can use bandanas and scarves as makeshift masks when caring for COVID-19 patients — although it’s unclear whether they would protect medical workers. 

The CDC says that option should be used “as a last resort” and only when the hospital nearly depletes its supply and experiences a crush of COVID-19 patients, reaching “crisis capacity.” The CDC acknowledges that its recommendations are out of step with standards of care in the United States.

Nurses and other health care providers can “use homemade masks (e.g., bandana, scarf) for care of patients with COVID-19,” the  CDC website now reads . The agency says in the next sentence that the homemade masks’ capability to protect health care providers against the coronavirus-caused disease “is unknown.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

The change comes just one week after the CDC downgraded its guidance around the use of N95 masks, also referred to as “respirators,” that can filter out viruses like the one that causes COVID-19. The agency began recommending that nurses use surgical masks, which don’t provide a barrier to airborne viruses but do shield against droplets.

But surgical masks also have started to be depleted from hospital shelves. The updated CDC guidance last week recommending that nurses wear surgical masks dramatically drained supply, according to Mark Parkinson, president of the American Health Care Association and National Center for Assisted Living, an association of thousands of nursing homes and other health care facilities.

“The CDC guidance came out telling people not to use N95 masks. That helps with the supply of N95s, but it puts a greater burden on the supply of surgical masks,” Parkinson said in a call with reporters Wednesday.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     4 years ago

FUBAR

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
3  Nerm_L    4 years ago

So, why aren't the respirators being disinfected and reused? 

Come on, folks, this isn't business as usual.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
3.1  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Nerm_L @3    4 years ago

They do reuse them.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Trump says "millions" of masks are being made as we speak. Too bad no one ever knows whether he is telling the truth or not. That in itself is reason to vote him out of office. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
5  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

Still can't get a single mask mydamnself, which means I can't leave the house while on immunosuppressive chemotherapy.  Although I fully support the medical community having first dibs, I'm bored out of of my mind.  Or what's left of it.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5    4 years ago

I have a sister with MS that would like to be able to get one too.  They need to make these available to the public as well as medical professionals. 

Be careful Sister. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
5.2  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5    4 years ago

Stay safe Sister!

Professor Guide
5.2.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Larry Hampton @5.2    4 years ago

I'm ok, Larry.  I really am.  When I start eating chocolate frosting straight from the can, which is my nutz-o-rama barometer... that will be the time to worry. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_114_smiley_image.png me.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.2.1    4 years ago

how about a cyber hug?

(((((Sister Mary Agnes))))

I know that won't keep you away from the frosting but now I got you thinking about cyber cooties.

Professor Guide
5.2.3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.2    4 years ago
how about a cyber hug?

I'll take it!  

cyber cooties.

Ha!  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.2.3    4 years ago

just trying to lighten your mood

Snuffy
Professor Participates
5.2.6  Snuffy  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.2.1    4 years ago
When I start eating chocolate frosting straight from the can

Wait...   This is wrong?   Well F*&^ ME!!!!   I thought that was just a normal way to end the day.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.2.8  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Snuffy @5.2.6    4 years ago

Me too!

Professor Guide
5.2.9  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.4    4 years ago

jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

pat wilson
Professor Participates
5.3  pat wilson  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5    4 years ago

Hang in there and be safe !

Professor Guide
5.3.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  pat wilson @5.3    4 years ago

Thanks, Pat.  I'm just bored and looking for mischief.  Any ideas?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.3.2  1stwarrior  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.3.1    4 years ago

Well - ya gotta phone - call someone and ask if their refrigerator is running.  If they say yeah, tell'm they better go catch it.

That'll keep ya busy for 'bout an hour or so.jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Professor Guide
5.3.3  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  1stwarrior @5.3.2    4 years ago
Well - ya gotta phone - call someone and ask if their refrigerator is running.

Hang on, I'll try it now.

*edit*  I just prank-texted a completely random number.  I received a reply that said, "No, but I have Prince Albert in a can."  True story.  

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
5.3.4  1stwarrior  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.3.3    4 years ago

Pop the top - I'll smoke it.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.3.5  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.3.3    4 years ago

a bad idea in the era of caller ID, somebody told me so...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.3.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.3.3    4 years ago

I don't suppose you have any pets, do you? You could always dress them up and take photos then humiliate the beasties on NT by posting them here

Professor Guide
5.3.8  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.3.6    4 years ago
You could always dress them up and take photos then humiliate the beasties on NT by posting them here

Your wish is my command.  

And make no mistake, that is her 'I'm going to kick your ass' look.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.3.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.3.8    4 years ago

Awww...she's sweet! Give her a doggo snack and she may be in a better mood

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5    4 years ago

Stay away from everyone Sister Mary. My sister is in the same boat since she takes an immunosuppressant.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.4.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @5.4.1    4 years ago

Yeah. that would do it. I was going to post a pic, and grossed myself out.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.5  Ozzwald  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5    4 years ago
Still can't get a single mask mydamnself, which means I can't leave the house while on immunosuppressive chemotherapy. 

Keep an eye on the hardware stores.  We got one from the paint supply area days after this looked like it was going to turn.  They are currently sold out (at least they were 4 days ago), but their stock is being replenished.  Since they are not considered as "medical supplies" but work just as well with a 95 rating, they may last a little longer on the shelves.

Professor Guide
5.5.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Ozzwald @5.5    4 years ago

They are back-ordered.  However, the department manager guy offered to let me borrow his son's Darth Vader bike helmet.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.5.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.5.1    4 years ago

People will then steer clear of you!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.5.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @5.5.1    4 years ago

However, the department manager guy offered to let me borrow his son's Darth Vader bike helmet.

funny-star-wars-pictures-walking-his-pet-darth-vader.jpg 6afd10e08175c98abad0737b713dcb02.jpg

funny-darth-vader-photo-series-3jpg.jpg GentleHugeFruitfly-size_restricted.gif

Cathar
Freshman Silent
6  Cathar    4 years ago

This is the GOP Kid Rock solution.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7  It Is ME    4 years ago

"The CDC says that option should be used “as a last resort” and only when the hospital nearly depletes its supply and experiences a crush of COVID-19 patients, reaching “crisis capacity.” 

What the Heck. Not a bad idea at all. "Something" ..... can be better than …… "Nothing", especially when there are "Selfish Hoarders" in this world !

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1  devangelical  replied to  It Is ME @7    4 years ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  devangelical @7.1    4 years ago
in that case, I recommend these items for trumpsters

Why ? jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.1    4 years ago
Why ?

Veiled death wishing....................................

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.3  devangelical  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @7.1.2    4 years ago

go stock up on a sense of humor...

devangelical
Professor Principal
7.1.5  devangelical  replied to  devangelical @7.1    4 years ago

I can only imagine the number of emotional PN's to the RA that comment spawned. oops

zuksam
Junior Silent
8  zuksam    4 years ago

I could make some nice masks with my sewing machine, I wonder if the CDC has any recommendations on what type of cloth would work best. If you make a bunch you could change masks every so often and then wash them all at the end of each day. Another idea they have some sweet Spiderman masks on Amazon for under 10 bucks that look a lot better than a bandana and have eye protection, they even have the black Spiderman. Just cut up some old T shirts to use as replaceable filters and slip them under the mask.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  zuksam @8    4 years ago

try linen

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

I have to wonder if the surviorists who are known for stockpiling are laughing their asses off at all of this panic buying.