╌>

New ad from conservative group targets Trump on coronavirus messaging

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  larry-hampton  •  4 years ago  •  118 comments

New ad from conservative group targets Trump on coronavirus messaging
Accurate and timely information is America’s most potent defense against the pandemic we now face

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

WASHINGTON – A group of anti-Trump conservatives released a new ad Thursday targeting President Donald Trump on his messaging   over the coronavirus outbreak. 

As cases have skyrocketed around the country, the White House's messaging toward the virus has dramatically shifted from saying they had already "shut it down" in regard to the spread of COVID-19, to daily press briefings addressing the growing number of cases.

The ad from t he Republicans for the Rule of Law , who backed the president’s impeachment, shows Trump speaking about the issue in January, when there was just one confirmed case. Trump said then he was not at all concerned about a pandemic striking the U.S.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1  seeder  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

The ad highlights the president, speaking to a gathering of African-American leaders in late February at the White House, claimed the virus was going "to disappear. One day – it's like a miracle." It also notes when he falsely underplayed the amount of time required to develop a vaccine. 

Chris Truax, a spokesman for the Republicans for the Rule of Law, released a statement saying, "In a crisis, there are three rules that must be followed when communicating with the public: Be first. Be right. Be credible. President Trump has often been first but he has seldom been right and he has never been credible."

"President Trump bears responsibility for misleading his supporters," the statement said.

The video includes a moment at the beginning of March when Trump dismissed a reporter by saying "That's CNN – fake news!" when asked if his administration was taking the disease seriously. Cases had surged then to 262.

The video shows  Trump saying  on March 15, when the number of cases had grown to nearly 3,500, that the virus was “something that we have tremendous control over,” though noting it was extremely contagious.

On March 17,  Trump said  he'd "rate it a 10" when asked about his response to the pandemic.

"I thought it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic," he said, contradicting earlier claims.

"Accurate and timely information is America’s most potent defense against the pandemic we now face," Truax continued, saying the majority of "Republicans who have been misled by the president’s self-serving coronavirus lies are our families, our friends, and our neighbors."

"We urge them, and all Americans, to get their coronavirus information from the CDC and other reliable sources. This isn’t about politics. It’s about saving hundreds of thousands of American lives," he said. 

Cases of COVID-19 had exceed 13,000 in the United States by Thursday night.

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.1  squiggy  replied to  Larry Hampton @1    4 years ago

"The ad from t he Republicans for the Rule of Law , who backed the president’s impeachment, shows Trump speaking about the issue in January, when there was just one confirmed case."

Not that accuracy matters, but this was last edited on Dec.17 - being old and questionable.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.1.2  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  squiggy @1.1    4 years ago

What are you talking about? The article was published at 6 AM this morning. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.1.3  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to    4 years ago

If that is the case Wally, you are a genius.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Krishna  replied to  squiggy @1.1    4 years ago
Not that accuracy matters,

Well, of course you have a right to your opinion-- but I totally disagree!

While accuracy might not be important to you...IMO it should be paramount in covering (or discussing) the news! 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.5  Ozzwald  replied to    4 years ago

Can't believe anything the non-Trumpers say on here

You mean "Won't" Wally.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Larry Hampton @1    4 years ago

Another Lincoln project like front group of Rino’s fronting for the democrats spouting Chinese Propaganda 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
1.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2    4 years ago

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQqyDtE__SW0keh6Pd1P

The ad from the Republicans for the Rule of Law, who backed the president’s impeachment, shows Trump speaking about the issue in January, when there was just one confirmed case. Trump said then he was not at all concerned about a pandemic striking the U.S.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2.2  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @1.2.1    4 years ago
Trump said then he was not at all concerned about a pandemic striking the U.S.

For once he told the truth-- I can believe him when he says he is not concerned about the misfortunes of others-- or the good of the country. . For Trump the only thing he really cares about is himself.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Larry Hampton @1    4 years ago

I work for a University hospital in their school of medicine.    I am home now for my second week.  They're talking about being home now/working from home for MONTHS not WEEKS.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.3.1  Krishna  replied to  Tessylo @1.3    4 years ago

They're talking about being home now/working from home for MONTHS not WEEKS.

That's because they're medical professionals so they care about speaking the truth, informing the public about the actual facts.

I watched Dear Leader's press conference today-- he said the duration would be much shorter than many are saying, maybe only a month or two.

And speaking of actual professionals-- there was something unusual about today's news conference: Dr Fauci was absent. 

I don't know why, but my guess would be that while he never attacks Dear Leader, he often presents some actual facts-- which I have a hunch Ppssed off Dear Leader...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    4 years ago

"Trump said then he was not at all concerned about a pandemic striking the U.S."

I'm not either !

"Cases of COVID-19 had exceed 13,000 in the United States by Thursday night."

When it gets to the count of the Usual yearly "Flu" epidemic .....let me know !

The "Flu" is so common these days (Kills bunches yearly), People NEVER bother to stay home, unless it "REALLY HURTS" !

Maybe they should Re-Name the "Flu" something else, so folks will get more concerned like they are with Coronavirus 19 !

Maybe call the "Flu" …… "Pandemic 51 " ? jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

"Area" 51 is always in the news for curiosity sake !

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
2.1  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  It Is ME @2    4 years ago
I'm not either !

That's good. Hopefully your cavalier attitude will not lead to your loved ones and associates coming down with the Corona Virus.

The rest of us will respect reality and try and stay safe.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Larry Hampton @2.1    4 years ago
The rest of us will respect reality and try and stay safe.

Do you do the same thing during "Every Flu" season" ….(Reminiscing) or just tuff it out and go to work anyway !

116 Deaths in the U.S. to date, Doesn't even come close to "Flu's Seasons" Issues !

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
2.1.2  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.1    4 years ago

We know the Flu, we do not know Corona Virus. 

Symptoms and severity

Both seasonal flu viruses (which include influenza A and influenza B viruses) and COVID-19 are contagious viruses that cause respiratory illness. 

Typical   flu symptoms   include fever, cough, sore throat, muscle aches, headaches, runny or stuffy nose, fatigue and, sometimes, vomiting and diarrhea,   according to the CDC . Flu symptoms often come on suddenly. Most people who get the flu will recover in less than two weeks. But in some people, the flu causes complications, including   pneumonia . So far this flu season, about 1% of people in the United States have developed symptoms severe enough to be hospitalized. And the overall hospitalization rate in the U.S. this season is 61 hospitalizations per 100,000 people.

With COVID-19, doctors are still trying to understand the full picture of disease symptoms and severity. Reported symptoms in patients have varied from mild to severe, and can include fever, cough and shortness of breath, according to the CDC. 

In general, studies of hospitalized patients have found that about 83% to 98% of patients develop a fever, 76% to 82% develop a dry cough and 11% to 44% develop fatigue or muscle aches, according to a review study on COVID-19 published Feb. 28 in the   journal JAMA . Other symptoms, including headache, sore throat, abdominal pain, and diarrhea, have been reported, but are less common. 

Another recent study, considered the largest on COVID-19 cases to date, researchers from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Protection, analyzed 44,672 confirmed cases in China between Dec. 31, 2019 and Feb. 11, 2020. Of those cases, 80.9% (or 36,160 cases) were considered mild, 13.8% (6,168 cases) severe and 4.7% (2,087) critical. "Critical cases were those that exhibited respiratory failure, septic shock, and/or multiple organ dysfunction/failure," the researchers wrote in the paper published in   China CDC Weekly .

A recent study of COVID-19 cases in the United States found that, among 4,226 reported cases , at least 508 people, or 12% were hospitalized. However, the study, published March 18 in the CDC journal Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR) is preliminary, and the researchers note that data on hospitalizations were missing for a substantial number of patients.

It's important to note that, because respiratory viruses cause similar symptoms, it can be difficult to distinguish different respiratory viruses based on symptoms alone,   according to WHO .

Death rate

The death rate from seasonal flu is typically around 0.1% in the U.S., according to   The New York Times

Though the death rate for COVID-19 is unclear, most research suggests it is higher than that of the seasonal flu.

In the study published Feb. 18 in the China CDC Weekly, researchers found a death rate from COVID-19 to be around 2.3% in mainland China. Another study of about 1,100 hospitalized patients in China, published Feb. 28 in the   New England Journal of Medicine , found that the overall death rate was slightly lower, around 1.4%.

Still, the death rate for COVID-19 appears to vary by location and an individual's age, among other factors. For instance, in Hubei Province, the epicenter of the outbreak, the death rate reached 2.9%; in other provinces of China, that rate was just 0.4%, according to the China CDC Weekly study. In addition, older adults have been hit the hardest. The death rate soars to 14.8% in those 80 and older; among those ages 70 to 79, the COVID-19 death rate in China seems to be about 8%; it’s 3.6% for those ages 60 to 69; 1.3% for 50 to 59; 0.4% for the age group 40 to 49; and just 0.2% for people ages 10 to 39. No deaths in children under 9 have been reported. 

A report published March 13 in the journal  Emerging Infectious Diseases  adjusted for the potential time delay between hospitalization and death among cases in China. The authors estimated that, as of Feb. 11, the death rate from COVID-19 was as high as 12% in Wuhan, 4% in Hubei Province and 0.9% in the rest of China.

In the CDC's MMWR study, 45% of hospitalizations, 53% of admissions to the intensive care unit (ICU), and 80% of deaths associated with COVID-19 were among adults aged 65 years and older.

Virus transmission

The measure scientists use to determine how easily a virus spreads is known as the "basic reproduction number," or R0 (pronounced R-nought). This is an estimate of the average number of people who catch the virus from a single infected person,   Live science previously reported . The flu has an R0 value of about 1.3,   according to The New York Times .

Researchers are still working to determine the R0 for COVID-19.  Preliminary studies have estimated an R0 value for the new coronavirus to be between 2 and 3, according to the JAMA review study published Feb. 28. This means each infected person has spread the virus to an average of 2 to 3 people.

It's important to note that R0 is not necessarily a constant number. Estimates can vary by location, depending on such factors as how often people come into contact with each other and the efforts taken to reduce viral spread,   Live Science previously reported .

Risk of infection

The CDC estimates  that, on average, about 8% of the U.S. population gets sick with the flu each season.

As of March 19, there are 9,415 cases of COVID-19 in the U.S. Some parts of the country have higher levels of activity than others, but cases have been reported in all 50 states, according to the CDC.

The immediate risk of being exposed to COVID-19 is still low for most Americans, however, as the outbreak expands, that risk will increase, the CDC said. People who live in areas where there is ongoing community spread are at higher risk of exposure, as are healthcare workers who care for COVID-19 patients, the agency said.

The CDC expects that widespread transmission of the new coronavirus will occur, and in the coming months, most of the U.S. population will be exposed to the virus.

Pandemics

It's important to note that seasonal flu, which causes outbreaks every year, should not be confused with   pandemic flu , or a global outbreak of a new flu virus that is very different from the strains that typically circulate. This happened in 2009 with the swine flu pandemic, which is estimated to have killed between 151,000 and 575,000 people worldwide,   according to the CDC . There is no flu pandemic happening currently.

On March 11, the World Health Organization (WHO)   officially declared the outbreak of COVID-19 a pandemic . This is the first time WHO has declared a pandemic over a  coronavirus .

Prevention

Unlike seasonal flu, for which there is a   vaccine   to protect against infection, there is no vaccine for COVID-19. But researchers at the U.S. National Institutes of Health are in the early stages of developing one. Officials have already launched a phase 1 clinical trial of a   potential vaccine for COVID-19 .

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Larry Hampton @2.1.2    4 years ago
We know the Flu.....

….. Kills 10's of thousands every year.... even with a shot in the arm.  jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

But....

work still takes precedence.....right ?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.1.4  pat wilson  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.1    4 years ago

Tell that to the families of the 116.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  pat wilson @2.1.4    4 years ago
Tell that to the families of the 116.

What do they tell families that have had "Death by Influenza" ?

Tell them the "SAME THING". Seems Fair ….. Right ?

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @2    4 years ago

Whoa, wait a second!

Are you saying, therefore...that you think Trump's actions actually governmed by the Illuminati? 

()Let's get serious-- that a bit of a stretch, eh?)

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.2    4 years ago
Whoa, wait a second!

Are you saying, therefore...that you think Trump's actions actually governmed by the Illuminati? 

()Let's get serious-- that a bit of a stretch, eh?)

Or...maybe not. In fact, you may be right:

Trump picked the author of more than 60 self-help Illuminati books for a federal education board that honors top high school seniors

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.2.2  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @2.2    4 years ago
Are you saying, therefore...that you think Trump's actions actually governmed by the Illuminati?  ()Let's get serious-- that a bit of a stretch, eh?)

You didn't understand my comment ……. Did You ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.3  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @2    4 years ago

"Trump said then he was not at all concerned about a pandemic striking the U.S."

I'm not either !

Good for you!!!

Well there are many prominent people who would agree with you. For example, Kellyanne Conway waid that we already have it contained. 

And Mike Pence also feels the news coverage is exaggerating the danger. In fact, he and Trump are both aware of that-- to the extent that they shake hands and will continue to do so. (No more of this namby-pamby Snowflake-like "Social Distancing for them"!

And another of Trump's Puppet-Master and Medical Expert Rush"Macho Man" Limbaugh, set the record straight. As he wisely pointed out, its just like the Common Cold!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.4  Tessylo  replied to  It Is ME @2    4 years ago

Why do you keep confusing this with the yearly strain of flu that goes around?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.4.2  It Is ME  replied to  Tessylo @2.4    4 years ago
Why do you keep confusing this with the yearly strain of flu that goes around?

No "Confusion" at all.

The "DEATH Count" from Coronavirus is being Broadcasted continuously in the Media.

This Country is at a "TOTAL" of 307 Deaths from this virus from January to Date (3 Months).

Last Years Influenza" killed over 34,000 From the beginning of December to the Beginning of April (4 Months). Not much media coverage on the "Death Count" then. "Influenza Deaths" is the Norm. 

This Virus is "NEW" (Actually a SARS type Virus), so "Panic Reporting" is needed. Makes for GREAT News Days and News Profit.

Get it now ?

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.5  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @2    4 years ago
"Trump said then he was not at all concerned about a pandemic striking the U.S." I'm not either !

Actually your lack of concern is not surprising to me at all (and my guess is that most people here know you well enough so they are not surprised either.,.)

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.5.1  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @2.5    4 years ago

According to the CDC.... In this Country Alone ......

Influenza activity in the United States during the 2018–2019 season began to increase in November and remained at high levels for several weeks during January–February

CDC estimates that the burden of illness during the 2018–2019 season included an estimated 35.5 million people getting sick with influenza, 16.5 million people going to a health care provider for their illness, 490,600 hospitalizations, and 34,200 deaths from influenza (Table 1). The number of influenza-associated illnesses that occurred last season was similar to the estimated number of influenza-associated illnesses during the 2012–2013 influenza season when an estimated 34 million people had symptomatic influenza illness.

Even Dr.  Fauci, has said, since the "Tests" are NOW coming out, the "Infected" numbers are going to look worse. 

Will Coronavirus Deaths "Match" our normal Influenza Rates per year ?

2017 to 2018 was a BOOMER for this country ! 

The overall burden of influenza for the 2017-2018 season was an estimated 45 million influenza illnesses, 21 million influenza-associated medical visits, 810,000 influenza-related hospitalizations, and 61,000 influenza-associated deaths 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Donald Trump is psychologically dysfunctional.  It is not a pleasant thing to say about the president of the United States, but it is certainly true. When the choice is between the interests of others, or of everyone else,  and his own interests and desires , he will side with his own interests almost every time. 

Trump saw, and sees, his interest in all this to downplay the severity and scope of the situation. To some extent he can no longer do that , but that doesnt mean he isnt still trying. That is because he cannot help himself. Selfishness and self-interest is the story of his life, and he will never change. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @3    4 years ago
Asha Rangappa
@AshaRangappa_
·
23h
I think it’s time for the media to address the elephant in the room: Trump may be incapable of understanding the problem. It involves data, graphs, projections, connecting dots, conceptual thinking. I think he fundamentally cannot mentally grasp it.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
3.1.1  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1    4 years ago

Yup. Our president is simply too damn dumb and apathetic to deal with the information.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Larry Hampton @3.1.1    4 years ago

Pretty absurd to think that any President has been an expert on pandemics.

But I know---why let a chance to demean your President go, eh?

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
3.1.3  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.2    4 years ago

Don't need a pandemic expert for president; one who speaks truth would be sufficient, one that is wise enough understand the predicament would be outstanding.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Larry Hampton @3.1.3    4 years ago

Have you even bothered to listen to the press conferences held the last week or so?

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
3.1.5  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.4    4 years ago

Have you bothered to notice that it wasn't until the last week or so that rump started to take this more seriously? This has been happening FOR MONTHS.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Larry Hampton @3.1.5    4 years ago

Sorry, I refuse to just ignore travel bans instituted way back in January like some can and choose to do.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.7  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.6    4 years ago

It doesnt take a brainiac to see that Trump downplayed the seriousness for weeks.  He still does to some extent. He will never change, he cares about his own interests above all, and one of his interests is to try and pretend everything is going great. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.7    4 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.7    4 years ago

Can you explain how a travel ban on China is not taking things seriously?

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
3.1.10  seeder  Larry Hampton  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.8    4 years ago

Do you often feel the criticism is hatred?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.11  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.8    4 years ago

The difference between me and you is, I can explain myself,  in great detail if I wanted to, and you repeat the same mantras 24/7. 

I call it trolling but Perrie doesnt agree. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  Larry Hampton @3.1.3    4 years ago
Don't need a pandemic expert for president;

You're absolutely correct. What we need is a POTUS with an IQ above room temperature who has the wisdom and temperament who can take advice and criticism without having a twitter tantrum

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  Larry Hampton @3.1.10    4 years ago
Do you often feel the criticism is hatred?

usually just when it is.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.11    4 years ago
The difference between me and you is, I can explain myself,  in great detail if I wanted to, and you repeat the same mantras 24/7

OMG, that is RICH!!

LMFAO!

I call it trolling but Perrie doesnt agree. 

I'll try real hard to not lose any sleep over what you call something.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.1.15  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.9    4 years ago
Can you explain how a travel ban on China is not taking things seriously?

Can you explain why that matters NOW? What has Trump done since the end of Jan? 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.16  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.2    4 years ago
Pretty absurd to think that any President has been an expert on pandemics.

I totally agree. 

But since that's the case-- why does Trump so confidently try to convince that he is?

Well, to be fair-- he thinks he's an expert on everything. Sheesh-- remember when he claimed more about ISIS than the generals? (On second though you probably don't ..because Faux probably never showed that clip).

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.17  XXJefferson51  replied to  Larry Hampton @3.1.10    4 years ago

[deleted]

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.18  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.4    4 years ago

Have you even bothered to listen to the press conferences held the last week or so?

I do. In fact I watched the one today.

Trump's behaviour for the most part was unusual-- rather than being spontaneous, for the most part he refrained from attacking other people and blaming them for the problems he created. He told a few lies-- but much less than usual. Obviously his advisors must have hammered home the point that he is alienating many voters by his usual childish..and angry behaviour.

(He might have disagreed, but based on his mostly changed behaviour it was obvious that someone got to him and convinced him that huis contant whining about how unfair reporters and other were...that sort of behaviour alienated voters.

Although he did slip up a bit.

Also interesting...Fauci was absent. Why?

(cont'd in next comment)

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.19  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1.18    4 years ago

(cont'd from comment # 3. 1. 18)

And while a few of the experts on stage managed to remind people of the importance of "social distancing" more than once...people on the stage were standing right next to each other, literally touching in many cases!

The typical Trump "Do as I say...not as I do.

And finally, much to my surprise after one embaressing moment, Fox News actually cut away to a re-broadcast of a news show I had seen on the channel earlier in the day!

I was puzzled and switched to MSNBC-- and even more surprising they continued to show Trump's conference....switched back to Fox..they were re-broadcasting an earlier show.

Later I switched back to Fox, apparently they were re-broadcasting part of it (or perhaps decided that even some of their regular viewers were smart to realize something was amiss and decided to show some of the portions they censored out?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.20  Split Personality  replied to  Krishna @3.1.18    4 years ago

Fauci has been making the news interview circuit, being very careful to remind the interviewer that he was never advised to not speak or not contradict the POTUS early on.

Now he just makes faces off to the side when the PoTUS is speaking and he tries very diplomatically to tell the truth whenever he can get away with it.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
3.1.21  Raven Wing  replied to  Larry Hampton @3.1.5    4 years ago
Have you bothered to notice that it wasn't until the last week or so that rump started to take this more seriously? This has been happening FOR MONTHS.

Trump didn't give a damn about the C-19 virus until it became obvious to him that it could affect his reelection, then he suddenly got worried that he was not showing enough concern. Thus, it made sense to him to suddenly become serious about it.

As for his determination to reopen the economy, I wonder who was the person(s) who cried on Daddums shoulder that their businesses were suffering due to the shut downs and halts on imports/exports.

Or...perhaps Trump realized that his own businesses were suffering and affecting his own hip pocket.

Then again, perhaps it is the big corporations that are threatening to stop their support of him if he does not reopen the economy.

However, it could very well be all of the above. None of which Trump wants to deal with or see happen it is threatens his reelection. For Trump, that is the only thing that matters to him. The deaths from the virus mean nothing to him, but, he is putting on a fairly good show of concern in order to keep this sheeple loyal no matter how diabolical he is.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Trump is holding a press conference right now, and he is berating reporters and calling networks "fake news". 

He CANNOT be presidential.  

The man is a pathological liar.   And he is psychologically disturbed.  How can he be the one to claim "fake news"?

He should shut up and do his best to minimize this tragedy.

Now he is talking about the "deep state".  ("I don't call it the State Dept., I call it the "deep state" dept. ")

wtf

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @4    4 years ago
Now he is talking about the "deep state".

Well Trump himself , while pretendeding to be against America's involvements overseas...is obviously a Neo-con. 

That, and with his obsession that has him constantly referring to "The Deep State"...has me wondering if perhaps he himself is a card-carrying member of The Illuminati!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5  Split Personality    4 years ago

Listening to the POTUS live right now.........

Very entertaining. Sean Spicer's first appearance at the WH representing One News Now & Newsmax where he been a regular on their news broadcasts recently.  One soft question, one serious question.

(It has been reported that Senator Burr was one of the first to sound the alarm in February and get out of the stock market.)

Spicer asked if any Senators with insider info would be investigated. Trump gave a rambling answer about knowing all of the Senators and how honorable they all were, and he did not suspect any of them did anything wrong, even Diane Feinstein...

Mr. Trump got excited by Peter Alexander's persistence and called him and several news outlets "sensationalists", not journalists, he told Alexander he should be ashamed of himself.

The next two reporters he picked asked him to answer Jenning's question.

He just asked if anyone had any "real" questions for him......

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @5    4 years ago

In review:  Trump was lauded recently for his handling of the crisis and acting Presidential for the first time.  ( I can't be more specific as I must have missed it )  Post news conference talking heads welcomed back the street brawling, know nothing President.

Today in his opening remark he called the virus the Chinese virus jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif .  Strike one.

Other than that he sounded reasonable.

Then SoS Pompeo started with the "dear leader" praises...

followed by Azar's dear leader praises.

Debbie Birx, finally, just gave an update based on the facts, followed by Dr. Fauci.

VP Pence was probably the most impressive he has been to date.

He skipped ( for the most part) kissing Trump's arse and  delivered two long updates that were informative and positive.

We are in good hands if we ever need Pence....

After that Trump started taking questions and it went downhill from there.

Quickly, and for another painful hour, repeatedly blaming someone (?) for the flawed CDC platform and flawed testing that he inherited.

Just my opinion.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.1  devangelical  replied to  Split Personality @5.1    4 years ago

unfortunately, it looks like these update pressers will probably be a daily event to serve the following purposes. campaigning, since his past incompetence has eliminated his weekly pep rallies. walking back the bullshit that fell out of his mouth in the previous presser. exciting his sycophants by calling out members of the press that ask questions he's not able to answer as bad reporting and/or fake news. a weak attempt to re-establish his sense of presidential credibility.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.2  JohnRussell  replied to  devangelical @5.1.1    4 years ago
image_bigger.jpg
George Conway
@gtconway3d
·
6h
Man, why didn’t FDR think of that instead of saying whatever it was he said about fear.
Quote Tweet
mRBhigcY_normal.jpg
Axios
@axios
· 6h
Q: What do you say to Americans who are watching you right now who are scared? Trump: "I say that you're a terrible reporter."

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
5.1.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Split Personality @5.1    4 years ago
oday in his opening remark he called the virus the China virus .  Strike one.

sorry, mankind has a habit of namiing things based on where they originate.

that PC world the left craves will never exist.

china ignored the problem, silenced those who tried to sound the alarm and allowed it to spread to other countries with no warning

china owns this virus lock stock and barrel forever.

personally, I call it the woo flu.

cheers :)

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Split Personality @5.1    4 years ago

VP Pence was probably the most impressive he has been to date.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Ender
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Ender  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1.4    4 years ago

The conference I saw I have to say he was the most, dare I say, sane.

Hate to say it but Pence was 1000 times more presidential than donald.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.2    4 years ago

Not only does the emperor have no clothes, but he just mooned the entire country.

devangelical
Professor Principal
5.1.7  devangelical  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5.1.4    4 years ago

good news - the albino asshole gets to be POTUS for 5 months

bad news - he has to pardon the trumpski family of grifters his 1st day on the job

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.8  Krishna  replied to  devangelical @5.1.7    4 years ago
the albino asshole gets to be POTUS for 5 months

Probably.

But IMO there's an increasing probability that he may not finish out his term.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.9  Krishna  replied to  Split Personality @5.1    4 years ago
Quickly, and for another painful hour, repeatedly blaming someone

Trump has several bizarre behaviour patterns that keep repeating.

One of this is no matter what the topic is, if things went wrong he always balames someone else. (Some f*ck ups are totally his fault, some partially. But it doesn't matter.  His knee-jerk reaction is to always blame some other person, country, etc. And he does it at length...)

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.1.10  XXJefferson51  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @5.1.3    4 years ago

Taiwan tried to warn the WHO about the dangers invoked and how to deal with it and they were ignored due to Chinese pressure 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
5.1.11  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  XXJefferson51 @5.1.10    4 years ago
and they were ignored due to Chinese pressure

yepp....    never trust a communist or socialist.

good news? this virus will end the open borders BS and put the death nail in globalism.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.12  Split Personality  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @5.1.11    4 years ago
good news? this virus will end the open borders BS and put the death nail in globalism.

Borders, shmorders...

Just like Ebola, the swine flu, and the last eighteen hundred pandemics,

all the way back to Biblical times, huh?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
5.1.13  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.12    4 years ago
Just like Ebola, the swine flu,

we shut down our country and economy over ebola and the swine flu? 

didn't notice the lack of toilet paper then,  I must have slept thru  those two events

"just like"  too funny, 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.14  Split Personality  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @5.1.13    4 years ago

Holy Shit. You might be catching on.....

Truly, 25,000 to 61,000 people have died every year from different strains of the "common flu" for decades.

No shut downs, no quarantines, no national or global economic collapses.

12,000 died of swine flu, 2 from Ebola here in the states. Africa is still dealing with it.

No economic collapse....plenty of TP.

Can you explain the "run" on toilet paper?  (yes I recognize the pun )

This won't affect border issues or globalism.  It has nothing to do with either.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
5.1.15  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.14    4 years ago
This won't affect border issues or globalism.  It has nothing to do with either.

globalism is why we do not produce our own vaccines and medications/ a horrible idea in times like this.

our country should not be relying on other countries for anything - globalism was a very bad plan from the start.

luckily little miss "what difference does it make"   is not president.   (we dodged a bullet right there)

if our borders where open under that bitch hillary things would be much worse here and going downhill fast.

meanwhile, joe biden said if elected he would stop deportations of illegals.

“Immigration affects our communities, our schools, our healthcare system, our economy, and our public safety. And Biden's plan threatens each — especially our public safety,”

our borders will be more secure than ever under trump.  80% of the country wants the border secure. meaning biden does not have a chance in 2020

meanwhile under trump because of the virus illegals are literally being punted straight back across the border on the spot. 

for the foreseeable future?   support for globalism / open borders = an unelectable candidate.

Dulay
Professor Expert
5.1.16  Dulay  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @5.1.15    4 years ago

Delusional. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.17  Split Personality  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @5.1.15    4 years ago
globalism is why we do not produce our own vaccines and medications/ a horrible idea in times like this. our country should not be relying on other countries for anything - globalism was a very bad plan from the start.

please stop the spreading of such disinformation. please.

The vaccines we use in the US are made here or by our allies, in other words, where they allow the FDA to monitor the production.

Nice deflection @ HRC.

blah, blah, blah, if, if, if...

nice talking points and opinions, lol

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
5.1.18  Ozzwald  replied to  Ender @5.1.5    4 years ago

Hate to say it but Pence was 1000 times more presidential than donald.

That really isn't saying a lot.  Cheetah is 10,000 times more presidential than Trump.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.19  Tessylo  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.14    4 years ago

I work for a University hospital school of medicine and we are shut down possibly for MONTHS and non essential staff are working from home.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Split Personality @5    4 years ago

The two year old in chief can't even answer a simple question without insulting the reporter.  Deplorables must be so proud.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.3  Krishna  replied to  Split Personality @5    4 years ago
Mr. Trump got excited by Peter Alexander's persistence and called him and several news outlets "sensationalists", not journalists, he told Alexander he should be ashamed of himself.

Trump may have a point-- often journalists asks questions that politicians don't like. (heck-- they've been doing it for centuries).

Obviously what we need is a law banning journalists from asking questions!

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.3.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.3    4 years ago
Obviously what we need is a law banning journalists from asking questions!

Oh-- my bad!

I "accidently" forgot to indicate that that was sarcasm.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.4  Krishna  replied to  Split Personality @5    4 years ago
He just asked if anyone had any "real" questions for him......

His handlers finally gor through to him and he was much more civil in most of today's news conference. But he did make a few slips. Went of script (it was so obvious that he was reading a prepared script word for word-- and doing that what he said made sense-- and strangely enough he managed to appear presidential for a while) but then went off script and launch an attack on reporters....

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6  FLYNAVY1    4 years ago

I've been watching my republican wife screaming at Trump during today's press conference for being "Such a fucking liar!".

I asked her what she is going to do about it....?

She stated that she is going to let her anger turn into motivation to ensure "dickhead" is voted out of office.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6    4 years ago

Welcome to the dark side, Flynavy's wife.  This time around, we're out to get rid of Emperor Palpatine.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1    4 years ago

we did that when Obama left office.  We now have the good side of the force in the White House! 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.2  Krishna  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6.1.1    4 years ago
 We now have the good side of the force in the White House! 

How many of "the good side" in the White House have been Trump appointees that are now either convicted felons . . . or under indictment?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6    4 years ago

Give her a hug from me, would ya? I'm into passing around cyber cooties today.

I'm bored

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6    4 years ago

If you don't buy her a dozen roses, I will.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.3.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.3    4 years ago

I made her one of her favorite dinners....... and did the laundry.  Does that count?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.3.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.3.1    4 years ago

But did you do the bathroom?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.3.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.3.1    4 years ago

Absolutely.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.4  Krishna  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6    4 years ago
I've been watching my republican wife screaming at Trump during today's press conference for being "Such a fucking liar!".

I asked her what she is going to do about it....?

She stated that she is going to let her anger turn into motivation to ensure "dickhead" is voted out of office.

I have a friend whose family lives in upstate N.Y. far from any big city, The closest one is Buffalo but that's still pretty far away. A rural area. Not surprisingly as far as he remember its always been solidly Republican.

He visits his family about once/mont. He voted for Trump for president. He told me that in the run-up to the presidential election, all the yard signs in the area were for Trump.

Recently we had a long political discussion. He was really angry at Trump and repeatedly mocked Trump's stupidity and his constant lies  He also mentioned that when he made a trip there during the mid-term elections, almost all the yard signs were now in support of Democrats. 

(Obviously this is not "proof" that Trump won't be elected. But its one of many things I've heard that indicate that a significant number of Republicans who previously supported Trump no longer do).

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.4.1  Split Personality  replied to  Krishna @6.4    4 years ago

Trump Frustration Syndrome is truly a bipartisan reality.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.4.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Split Personality @6.4.1    4 years ago
Trump Frustration Syndrome .....

Damn, I should have put a © on that phrase! 

Well, I still have time on the other phrase... "Trump Fatigue Syndrome". 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.4.3  Split Personality  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.4.2    4 years ago

Fatigue is more like it !

I like it !

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.4.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.4.2    4 years ago

Fatigue is exactly right! (genau in German)

The daily briefings have turned in to his daily televised political rally.  If he would just let the professional talk, things would be fine.  But old lard-ass has to get up and tell flat out lies that are detrimental to the efforts to fight all aspects of the medical and economic crisis we are facing.

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.4.5  Krishna  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.4.4    4 years ago
If he would just let the professional talk, things would be fine.

I watched his news conference today (3/23). For the first time Dr> Fauci was not present.

Normally he's gone out of his way to respect Desar Leader-- but occasionally he tactifully mentions real facts...which Trump doesn't always seem to happy about.

Does fauci have the Virus? An important medical meeting to attend elsewhere? Or...was he "fired"?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.5  Ronin2  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6    4 years ago

And replace Trump with what?

A delusional over-aged, continuously outraged, Democratic socialist Grandpa that will try to bankrupt the country with his schemes? Or the hair sniffing, "feel the hair on my leg", over-aged pervert (who does the acts in public rather than just talking about them) with a severe case of dementia? 

Before you scream replace Trump! Make sure the replacements will be better. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.5.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Ronin2 @6.5    4 years ago

How about someone that limits lying to half of their statements...... That would be a huge step in the right direction.

Any replacement would be better than the cesspool and its leader you play cheerleader for.

Can't wait for today's briefing, I'm excited to see how trump will make it worse today. Will he insult China, will he give out new and creative false information? Will he cause another crisis with Iran or will he simply defecate on himself and play with it. With this clown you never know.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
6.5.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Ronin2 @6.5    4 years ago
A delusional over-aged, continuously outraged, Democratic socialist Grandpa that will try to bankrupt the country with his schemes?

Who increased the deficit by almost a trillion dollars in his first term?

190723141327-federal-budgets-deficits-projection-graphic-exlarge-169.jpg

Who walks around with toilet paper stuck to his shoe?

tenor.gif?itemid=12669445

Who cannot figure out how to close an umbrella?

giphy.gif

Who looses his car?

Trump_Loses-Limo_Dementia_0.gif?1499369315

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.5.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to    4 years ago

What.... is this a trick question?

Because their only real motivation is to deflect from their shitty performance as a leader?

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.5.5  Krishna  replied to  Ronin2 @6.5    4 years ago
Democratic socialist Grandpa that will try to bankrupt the country with his schemes?

I assume you are referring to Mike Bloomberg?

But remember, he's one "Socialist" that's no longer running! 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.5.7  Krishna  replied to  Ozzwald @6.5.2    4 years ago
Who walks around with toilet paper stuck to his shoe?

OMG! So that explains the recent difficulty in finding any toilet paper in the stores! 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7  Nerm_L    4 years ago

The latest public service announcement from the CDC is "wash your hands, stay away from sick people, and don't touch your face".

That's the best the medical experts can provide the country after 15 years of warnings and preparation for a SARS pandemic.  And Donald Trump is the idiot?

We've been pwned.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Nerm_L @7    4 years ago

Those instruction are the simplest while being best possible prevention methods for the masses for any and all infections.

What, are they too complicated for you?

Are you suggesting that everyone have their own personal charcoal lined MOPP suits and M50 masks?  

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.1    4 years ago
Those instruction are the simplest while being best possible prevention methods for the masses for any and all infections.

What, are they too complicated for you?

Are you suggesting that everyone have their own personal charcoal lined MOPP suits and M50 masks?  

And it required 15 years of global strategic planning to develop those guidelines.  The American public is too frickin' stupid to wash their hands and stay away from sick people.  

You really think people that need to be told to stay away from sick people are going to piss into their boots?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7.1.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Nerm_L @7.1.1    4 years ago

Need I post pictures from spring break hotspots to remind you of the irresponsibility of some of our fellow Americans given the current pandemic|?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
7.1.3  Nerm_L  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.1.2    4 years ago
Need I post pictures from spring break hotspots to remind you of the irresponsibility of some of our fellow Americans given the current pandemic|?

Don't forget the videos of kids licking ice cream.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2  Krishna  replied to  Nerm_L @7    4 years ago
The latest public service announcement from the CDC is "wash your hands, stay away from sick people, and don't touch your face". That's the best the medical experts can provide the country after 15 years of warnings and preparation for a SARS pandemic.  And Donald Trump is the idiot?

Yes-- Trump is definitely the idiot.As are the people he surrounds himself with.

I just watched his recent press conference. One of the suggestions one of the people on the stage was the importance of "Social Distancing" (that means staying  at least 6 ft away from other people when in public places). I also noticed one of the other people on the stage nodded their head in agreement.

Then I suddenly realized--- they themselves were standing should to shoulder (or almost as close) to one or more people they were standing next to!!!

WTF???

Reminds me to a bit of advice from one of the more perceptive political analysts I heard a while back:

If you want to fully understand Donald Trump-- listen not to what he says-- but rather observe what he actually does!

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2.2  Krishna  replied to    4 years ago
They have probably all been tested

An excellent point!

And at the time they were tested they didn't have it.

And as everyone knows-- once you are tested negative you can never, ever, get it in the future!

Brilliant reasoning MUVA-- absolutely brilliant!

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.2.4  Krishna  replied to    4 years ago

If you have been tested and are only around people that have tested negative and  paracting social distancing during the rest of the time then it is probably safe.

Meh.