╌>

Liberty University welcomes back students despite coronavirus

Category:  Health, Science & Technology

Via:  freefaller  •  4 years ago  •  90 comments

Liberty University welcomes back students despite coronavirus

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Liberty University welcomed its students back to campus this week, despite explicit social distancing guidelines from both the White House and the state of Virginia amid the coronavirus outbreak.

University President Jerry Falwell Jr., a longtime supporter of President Trump, said in a statement on Monday that he had been in conversation with the Council of Independent Colleges in Virginia to determine how to allow students who wanted to return to the evangelical college's Lynchburg campus to do so while still following the guidelines that have been put forward.

"I was on a conference call with other college presidents and representatives from private colleges, and we listened to what other schools were doing," Falwell said. "Many were throwing their hands up and saying they would just close and others were going to extend their breaks. At that time, we were on Spring Break, so we had time to work on it."

He added: "Our thinking was, 'Let's get them back as soon as we can - the ones who want to come back."

Multiple universities, school districts and in some cases entire states - including Virginia - have canceled classes for the rest of the academic year in the face of the pandemic.

Falwell told the Richmond Times-Dispatch that somewhere between several hundred to more than 5,000 students were expected to be living in Liberty's dorms as classes resumed Monday.

"I think we have a responsibility to our students - who paid to be here, who want to be here, who love it here - to give them the ability to be with their friends, to continue their studies, enjoy the room and board they've already paid for and to not interrupt their college life," he said.

Despite the fact that almost all of Liberty's classes have been moved online, staff and faculty are still expected to come to work as usual.

Falwell noted that the dining halls are operating in a takeout-only capacity and that special classes that need to meet in person, such as labs, will adhere to Gov. Ralph Northam's (D) 10-person gathering limit.

Falwell has given voice to conspiracy theories about the coronavirus. Earlier in the month while on Fox News he said, "You remember the North Korean leader promised us a Christmas present for America? Back in December. Could it be they got together with China and this is that present? I don't know. But it really is something strange going on."

He told the Times-Dispatch that the university was protecting the students by having them on campus.

"I think we, in a way, are protecting the students by having them on campus together," he said. "Ninety-nine percent of them are not at the age to be at risk and they don't have conditions that put them at risk."

Virginia has more than 200 confirmed cases of COVID-19, and Northam on Monday ordered all nonessential businesses to close by the start of Wednesday, though it is unclear how this mandate will affect the college.

While the Lynchburg campus is open to students, faculty, staff, prospective students and their family members, it is closed to other visitors.

The decision to have students on campus makes Liberty an outlier among universities around the country. Most schools have lengthened their spring breaks, moved learning online and instructed their students to return home.

The Hill reached out to Liberty but was referred to the university's prior statements.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1  seeder  Freefaller    4 years ago

This doesn't seem like a good idea, but what do I, science and medicine know?

evilone
Professor Guide
1.1  evilone  replied to  Freefaller @1    4 years ago

It's all fun and games until they get sued. And they will get sued as soon as some student dies.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  evilone @1.1    4 years ago
And they will get sued as soon as some student dies.

You certainly won't see me betting against that

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  bbl-1  replied to  evilone @1.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @1.1.2    4 years ago

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @1    4 years ago

They don't want the little darlings to be away from the bible thumping for too long, doncha know? Get 'em away from the preaching and they start having all kinds of thoughts.

p.s. Liberty U has labs????

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2    4 years ago
Get 'em away from the preaching and they start having all kinds of thoughts.

Lol they're already having those thoughts and will be humping like rabbits before the first week is out

p.s. Liberty U has labs????

The search for the creation molecule continues.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @1.2.1    4 years ago

Ah! Thanks for that answer

Ender
Professor Principal
1.2.4  Ender  replied to    4 years ago

Shared rooms that never get cleaned, shared bathrooms...

Yep, what could go wrong....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @1.2.4    4 years ago

Just pray....

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2.7  devangelical  replied to  Freefaller @1.2.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.2.7    4 years ago

Just out of sheer curiosity, is there anyone on the whole world who believes in God that you don't consider a "thumper"?

Or did one single event in your life while dealing with teenagers influence your outlook on ALL religious people?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.2.11  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Texan1211 @1.2.8    4 years ago

Hi Texan could you and devangelical take this conversation elsewhere.  I am really tired of having comments deleted.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  XDm9mm @1.2.10    4 years ago

That is what I suspect, too, but really wanted to hear him admit it.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.2.13  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  devangelical @1.2.7    4 years ago

devangelical plse see 1.2.11

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.2.14  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  XDm9mm @1.2.10    4 years ago

XD plse see 1.2.11

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2.15  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.2.5    4 years ago
Just pray..

Yep, they're screwed then.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3  devangelical  replied to  Freefaller @1    4 years ago

that's not the only example of bible thumping stupidity. here's another. have the national guard surround them, quarantine them in place, have thumpers self finance it, and put them at the bottom of the already strained medical priority list. buh bye

Ender
Professor Principal
1.3.1  Ender  replied to  devangelical @1.3    4 years ago
The virus, we believe, is politically motivated

Unbelievable. Well I guess it is with some.

We have 27 buses on Sundays picking up people in a five-parish area

So they are going to bus it all over the state. If someone dies, I say charge the idiot.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.3.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  devangelical @1.3    4 years ago

Read about it earlier and am surprised they were able to find near1200 morons to attend this gong show 

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.3  devangelical  replied to  Ender @1.3.1    4 years ago

if they try to leave, it's an act of domestic terrorism, plain and simple.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.4  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.3.3    4 years ago

So arrest, arraign, indict and try them.

Go for it!

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.3.5  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.4    4 years ago
So arrest, arraign, indict and try them.

Just curious but since these troubles started have there been any laws enacted that would allow for what you suggest?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.3.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Freefaller @1.3.5    4 years ago

They arrested a guy in New Jersey for coughing on a worker in a grocery store and claiming he had the virus.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.7  Texan1211  replied to  Freefaller @1.3.5    4 years ago

Not that I know of, but then again, I am not the one going off half-cocked, calling it acts of terrorism, either.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.8  devangelical  replied to  Freefaller @1.3.2    4 years ago

[deleted]

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.3.9  devangelical  replied to  Texan1211 @1.3.7    4 years ago

maybe not, but I seem to recall a recent conspiracy theory claiming covid-19 was chinese biological warfare gone awry. please explain the difference in method of dispersal.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.3.10  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.3.6    4 years ago
They arrested a guy in New Jersey for coughing on a worker in a grocery store and claiming he had the virus.

Good, even if he was joking now is not the time.  Sorta like joking you have a bomb on a plane

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.11  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.3.9    4 years ago
maybe not, but I seem to recall a recent conspiracy theory claiming covid-19 was chinese biological warfare gone awry. please explain the difference in method of dispersal.

Sorry, but debating someone who bases at least part of their argument on some wild-ass "conspiracy theory" hoax doesn't even mildly interest me.

And that comment was not to you because you didn't ask about it.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2  Just Jim NC TttH    4 years ago

Okay so after spring break, go ahead and send them home to their siblings and elderly parents to infect...................SMMFH

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2    4 years ago

While I appreciate the votes, I am compelled to make a correction to my post. What I was referring to was the fact that the students could go back to school and stay and be gathered in one area. i was saying that that is better than sending them home to infect their families and others while there.

You are free to retract your thumbs ups.

Sorry for the confusion I may have caused. Carry on

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1    4 years ago

I agree with you. They are definitely free to go back to school but then they need to keep their asses there instead of going home and infecting gramma

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

LU is owned by Falwell, so his disregard for the safety of his students is a given.  Pence must be so proud of this.  I say put the entire campus on forced lock down and lets see what Falwell does when he has confirmed cases.  Then let him pray it away in tribute to Pence.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
4  lady in black    4 years ago

Any student that goes to class needs their head examined.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
4.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  lady in black @4    4 years ago

And any parent who allows their kid to go

Ender
Professor Principal
4.2  Ender  replied to  lady in black @4    4 years ago

Reminds me of the young people in KY that decided to have a virus party, then one ended up positive.

Ender
Professor Principal
5  Ender    4 years ago
enjoy the room and board they've already paid for

In other words...No refunds.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @5    4 years ago

I think you nailed it right on the head.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
5.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  Ender @5    4 years ago
In other words...No refunds.

And there we have the real reason for this decision, cancelling and refunds would affect the bottom line

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2.1  Ender  replied to  Freefaller @5.2    4 years ago

Now they can say, we opened dorms and classes back up, if people did not come back it is their fault, not ours.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
10  seeder  Freefaller    4 years ago

TG no probs it's already done

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Freefaller @10    4 years ago

Thanks! I appreciate you!

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
12  bbl-1    4 years ago

Liberty U may do as it wishes and it is possible that many of the decisions reached by the administrators of the ( university ) are bound by theological design or financial motivation. 

I must freely admit that I do not know the inners and outers of Liberty University, which is owned/controlled by the Falwell klan and others of that ilk, I would be at the very least somewhat remiss if I did not suspect that the financial aspect of Liberty University is prioritized above all other concerns.

As far as the COVID19 and Liberty University?  Perhaps by being in such close alignment with the 'highest of deities' the grounds are hallowed and the believers are thusly saved.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
12.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  bbl-1 @12    4 years ago
Liberty U may do as it wishes

Time will tell if they can, there may be existing or coming laws which would impact what they or anyone can or cannot do.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
12.1.1  bbl-1  replied to  Freefaller @12.1    4 years ago

Did not add an s/ tag to my -screed- as my intentions were only to allow one the opportunity in these superfluous times to do a double think for a moment.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
12.1.2  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  bbl-1 @12.1.1    4 years ago
Did not add an s/ tag to my -screed

It's ok, no harm done

charger 383
Professor Silent
13  charger 383    4 years ago

I read elsewhere that Va Gov Northern banned gatherings of more than 10 people, with a few exceptions none that apply to Liberty University, and Police can enforce this as a misdemeanor violation.

This could become interesting as other private organizations have to comply but Jerry Fawell, Jr does not think he has to.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
13.1  seeder  Freefaller  replied to  charger 383 @13    4 years ago
and Police can enforce this as a misdemeanor violation.

I hope so cause what they're doing is a bad idea