╌>

Bashing prayer in times of crisis

Category:  Religion & Ethics

Via:  heartland-american  •  4 years ago  •  332 comments

By:   Jerry Newcombe

Bashing prayer in times of crisis
the Continental Congress called for “a day of public humiliation, fasting and prayer; that we may, with united hearts and voices, unfeignedly confess and deplore our many sins; and offer up our joint supplications to the all-wise, omnipotent, and merciful Disposer of all events; humbly beseeching him to forgive our iniquities, to remove our present calamities, to avert those desolating judgments, with which we are threatened. ... And it is recommended to Christians, of all denominations, to...

National days of prayer may be doubted by post modern blasphemers who hate and resent certain aspects of American tradition and history but they are very much a part of our America culture.  Our country was founded by divine Providence and our Rights originated from the creator Himself arming to the founders of our exceptional America.  Just like it was great that American leaders turned to Prayer in troubling times through out our history, it’s good now as well to add prayer t facts and data in our current struggle with illness. Caused by covid -19.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Trump, who is doing everything he can to fight the coronavirus, called for a Day of Prayer recently. He proclaimed, “We are a Country that, throughout our history, has looked to God for protection and strength in times like these.”

But David Hogg, a Parkland shooting survivor, tweeted: “Don’t let this administration address COVID-19 like our national gun violence. [Expletive] a National day of prayer, we need immediate comprehensive action.”

U.S. Congresswoman Rashida Tlaib, famous for her declaration to “impeach the [expletive]” even retweeted Hogg’s message. Dr. William Donohue, the president of the Catholic League, notes: Tlaib, as a U.S. representative, should be censured for her “obscene assault on people of faith.”

Meanwhile, an honest survey of American history shows that Trump is much closer to America’s true history by calling for days of prayer than are Hogg and Tlaib.

David Barton, a walking encyclopedia on the spiritual heritage of America, once told me, "Between 1633 and 1812, there were over 1,700 prayer proclamations issued in the colonies, where the governor would call the state to an annual day of prayer and fasting, annual day of prayer of and thanksgiving."

Bill Federer’s book,  America’s God and Country , documents such historic practices.

For example, on May 31, 1775, one American colonist, Samuel Langdon, spoke before the Massachusetts Provincial Congress, calling on them to pray because of the ongoing crisis with Great Britain.

He lamented, “We have rebelled against God. We have lost the true spirit of Christianity, though we retain the outward profession and form of it. We have neglected…the glorious Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ and His holy commands and institutions.”

Who was this Langdon? Some backwoods rube? No. This was the president of Harvard, where Hogg attends school now.

During the American War for Independence, on at least 15 separate occasions, Congress called for national days of prayer, humiliation, and fasting. These were not namby-pamby, “To Whom It May Concern”-type prayers.

Here are two examples of Days of Prayer called by the Continental Congress — which, by the way, opened in prayer on its first day ever (in 1774), and Congress has opened in prayer ever since.

Example One: On June 12, 1775, the Continental Congress called for “a day of public humiliation, fasting and prayer; that we may, with united hearts and voices, unfeignedly confess and deplore our many sins; and offer up our joint supplications to the all-wise, omnipotent, and merciful Disposer of all events; humbly beseeching him to forgive our iniquities, to remove our present calamities, to avert those desolating judgments, with which we are threatened. ... And it is recommended to Christians, of all denominations, to assemble for public worship, and to abstain from servile labour and recreations on said day.”

At the end of the day, God answered the spirit of the prayer — that the crisis would be resolved. They could assemble physically in those days. With the coronavirus, at best we can “assemble” “virtually” for the moment. Yet thank God for these modern tools in our internet age.

Example Two: On March 16, 1776, the Continental Congress proclaimed another day of “humiliation, fasting, and prayer”: “that that we may, with united hearts, confess and bewail our manifold sins and transgressions, and, by a sincere repentance and amendment of life, appease his righteous displeasure, and, through the merits and mediation of Jesus Christ, obtain his pardon and forgiveness; humbly imploring his assistance to frustrate the cruel purposes of our unnatural enemies; and by inclining their hearts to justice and benevolence, prevent the further effusion of kindred blood.”

They continued to pray, recognizing that more suffering may yet come, as they worked toward their noble goal: “But if, continuing deaf to the voice of reason and humanity, and inflexibly bent, on desolation and war, they constrain us to repel their hostile invasions by open resistance, that it may please the Lord of Hosts, the God of Armies, to animate our officers and soldiers with invincible fortitude, to guard and protect them in the day of battle, and to crown the continental arms, by sea and land, with victory and success.”

This is quite an astounding prayer for an upstart, fledgling new “nation,” which for all practical purposes lacked a national army and navy.

But ultimately God answered their prayers — so much so that George Washington said that one would be “worse than an infidel” to not recognize the Lord’s help in our becoming an independent nation.

Earlier I quoted Harvard President Samuel Langdon in his 1775 speech, asking for God’s help. In that same speech, he made this petition — one that seems appropriate in our day, in our fight against the coronavirus: “May the Lord hear us in this day of trouble....We will rejoice in His salvation.” Well, maybe not  all  of us.

Jerry Newcombe, D.Min., is the senior producer and an on-air host for D. James Kennedy Ministries. He has written/co-written 32 books, e.g.,  The Unstoppable Jesus Christ, American Amnesia: Is American Paying the Price for Forgetting God?, What If Jesus Had Never Been Born?  (w/ D. James Kennedy), and the bestseller,  George Washington's Sacred Fire  (w/ Peter Lillback)   djkm.org  @newcombejerry       www.jerrynewcombe.com

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

...President Donald Trump and Vice President Mike Pence joined over 700 pastors on a conference call Friday to pray for strength and stamina amid the novel coronavirus outbreak.

In a one-hour call organized by the Christian conservative activist group Family Research Council, Trump told pastors that the outbreak “came upon us so suddenly.” 

“[W]e were doing better than we've ever done before as a country in terms of the economy — and then, all of the sudden, we got hit with this,” Trump was quoted as saying by FRC President Tony Perkins. “So we had to close it down.”

“We're actually paying a big price to close it down,” Trump continued. “Never happened before.”

However, Trump assured the religious leaders that he believes “we're going to come back stronger than ever before."

"I want to thank you for praying for our country and for those who are sick,” the president said. “You do such an incredible job. You're very inspirational people. And I'm with you all the way. You know that you see what we've done for right to life and all of the things that we've been working so hard together. I've been working with many of the people on the call. Many, many of the people. We've had tremendous support. But we are going to get over this."

Pence told the pastors that when he informed Trump that he was going to be on the call with pastors on Friday, Trump asked if he could join despite a full schedule.

"When I told the president I was going to be speaking to all of you, [he was] in the midst of an extraordinarily busy day. [But] he looked at me and said, 'I have to find time. I need to find time,’” Pence told the pastors. “[T]he prayers of the people on this call mean [everything] to him.”

Before leaving the call, Perkins asked the president what he’d most like people to pray for during this time of crisis and uncertainty. Trump replied by urging the pastors to pray for the “health” and “strength” of the country.

“We were doing something amazing, and then one day, it just ended. So that would be it,” Trump said, urging Americans to "make the right choice” on [election day], Nov. 3. 

Pence told the pastors that he and the president “couldn't be more inspired by the way communities of faith have been stepping up.”

According to Perkins, Pence talked about how congregations are keeping their food banks going and finding ways to work within the guidelines set by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Pence also thanked churches for offering child care to healthcare workers on the front line of battling the coronavirus.

"You know, the president has said many times that we are going to bring the full resources of our federal government to bear on this,” the vice president said. “But by all of you being here today, and by the energies and ministries that you have [used to respond] to the coronavirus in your communities, you're really putting hands and feet on your faith. And you are demonstrating what the president today called 'the greatness of American character.’”

Pence said that “we want a full partnership with you in sharing best practices again."

Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson also participated in the call. According to Perkins, Carson told the pastors that “God is merciful.” 

"And we will get through this,” Carson assured, adding that this could be an opportunity for God to show His power in a way that will “help us return to Him.”

"God still has His hand on this nation,” Carson was quoted as saying.  “And He has His hand on all of us."

According to the Christian Broadcasting Network, pastors discussed during the call ways in which churches can assemble during the coronavirus outbreak when so many of them have halted in-person worship services. 

While several churches have moved services online, others have held “drive-in” worship services to maintain social distancing. 

During the call, Trump, Pence and Carson encouraged churches to comply with federal guidelines. Pence thanked pastors for suspending their services during the outbreak and said that he would encourage Americans to continue giving to churches and ministries even though they may not be attending in person. 

In a White House press briefing on Saturday, Pence formally urged Americans to continue giving to ministries during the outbreak. 

On Tuesday, Trump drew criticism when he said that he wanted the U.S. to be "opened up and just raring to go by Easter,” which is just over two-and-a-half weeks away.....

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1    4 years ago
"And we will get through this,” Carson assured, adding that this could be an opportunity for God to show His power in a way that will “help us return to Him.”

Meanwhile, the number of confirmed cases and deaths continue to grow. That's not good advertising for god.

"God still has His hand on this nation,” Carson was quoted as saying.  “And He has His hand on all of us."

I hope god washed his hands first.

Pence formally urged Americans to continue giving to ministries during the outbreak. 

After all, can't let a little plague get in the way of fleecing the masses.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
1.1.1  lady in black  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1    4 years ago

3 days ago Erie County had 122 cases we are now up to 310 and 6 deaths, one was a 40 yr. old woman.  No praying this away.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1    4 years ago

Nothing like proving the title of the seeded article right from the beginning.  You made its point perfectly.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.3  MrFrost  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1    4 years ago
After all, can't let a little plague get in the way of fleecing the masses.

Copeland and that ignorant whore Paula White are two that are doing exactly that. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.1.2    4 years ago

What makes you think prayer or god is free from scrutiny? Anyone can pray to their heart's content. But it won't affect the current crisis.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  lady in black @1.1.1    4 years ago
3 days ago Erie County had 122 cases we are now up to 310 and 6 deaths, one was a 40 yr. old woman.  No praying this away. 

Indeed. It seems situations like that only demonstrate god and prayer are useless. But for some reason, pointing that out is considered "bashing." Oh well, it doesn't change the facts.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.4    4 years ago
What makes you think prayer or god is free from scrutiny? Anyone can pray to their heart's content. But it won't affect the current crisis.

You know, just because you CAN do something doesn't always mean you SHOULD do something.

What exactly do you hope to gain by showing up on every thread to do with God or prayer and crapping all over it?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.7  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    4 years ago
crapping all over it?

Most people call that, "giving factual information". Unless of course, you can prove that prayer, (any religion), actually changes anything. Faith is not based in fact, never has been, never will be. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.8  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.7    4 years ago
Most people call that, "giving factual information".

Unmitigated bullshit.

Unless of course, you can prove that prayer, (any religion), actually changes anything. 

Why don't you try to prove that prayer hurts anyone--especially you.

And if it doesn't work, why the need to come here and crap on it?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.10  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.8    4 years ago
Why don't you try to prove that prayer hurts anyone--especially you.

How is this about me? Can you prove that prayer changes anything? Yes or no? Not a tough question. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.11  MrFrost  replied to  Release The Kraken @1.1.9    4 years ago
Evidently we know who it hurts.

Who does it hurt? Why not just point that person out instead of skirting around what you mean? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.10    4 years ago
 Can you prove that prayer changes anything? Yes or no? Not a tough question. 

No.

Can you prove that prayer does NOT work? Simple question.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.14  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.6    4 years ago
You know, just because you CAN do something doesn't always mean you SHOULD do something.

But there's nothing saying I can't.

What exactly do you hope to gain by showing up on every thread to do with God or prayer and crapping all over it?

This isn't about me. Something gets posted on a public discussion forum, it's open for comments. Plain and simple. Don't like some of the responses, then don't read them or post a thread. Very simple.

And if it doesn't work, why the need to come here and crap on it?

It seems you answered your own question.

Yes: people are praying to cure Covid. And yet, confirmed cases and deaths keep increasing. That's rather compelling evidence that prayer doesn't work. Question answered.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.14    4 years ago

No shit! Precisely what I stated. SMMFH.

It seems you answered your own question.

Inane.

Yes: people are praying to cure Covid. And yet, confirmed cases and deaths keep increasing. That's rather compelling evidence that prayer doesn't work. Question answered.

So you are saying that because someone hasn't been proven to be cured of the virus, that no prayer has ever worked? Not very scientific of you!

Prove that prayer has never worked for anyone anytime anywhere.

I can no more prove prayer works than you can that it doesn't.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.17  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.12    4 years ago

I asked a Christian friend of mine to pray for a billion dollars, or, the numbers for the lottery. Both requests were denied. 

Prayer doesn't work. Even the bible says that faith without works is pointless. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.18  Gordy327  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.16    4 years ago
No shit! Precisely what I stated.

So what's the problem?

So you are saying that because someone hasn't been proven to be cured of the virus, that no prayer has ever worked? Not very scientific of you!

There's no study or research that has shown prayer has ever cured or treated anything. Covid is just an example.

Prove that prayer has never worked for anyone anytime anywhere.

See previous statement. Someone merely claiming it has is meaningless and unsubstantiated.

I can no more prove prayer works than you can that it doesn't.

See previous statement.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.17    4 years ago
I asked a Christian friend of mine to pray for a billion dollars, or, the numbers for the lottery. Both requests were denied. 

Do you know for a fact that he prayed for those ? Did you hear him do so?

I don't think God is a wishing well.

Prayer doesn't work.

That's nice, but can you prove it?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.20  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.19    4 years ago
It always was and still is just an empty gesture which accomplishes nothing other than political pandering and lip service to the masses.

I just did. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.21  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.19    4 years ago
Do you know for a fact that he prayed for those ? Did you hear him do so?

He's a Christian, he said he did, and Christians are honest, correct? 

How do you know that absolutely not one person has prayed to stop coronavirus? I am willing to bet that a lot of people have and.....guess what, it's not getting better, it's getting worse.

Maybe 'God' created the coronavirus to get rid of all the fake Christians, I mean, that's what she told me the other day.

No? Prove she didn't?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.22  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @1.1.20    4 years ago
I just did. 

Oh, a two-fer!!

Inane AND hilarious!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.23  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.16    4 years ago

Impossible to prove a negative.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.24  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @1.1.23    4 years ago

Then negative statements shouldn't be made.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.25  Tacos!  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.14    4 years ago

That's true. If you want to come on here, troll threads needlessly, and say dickish things, you are free to do that. And we are free to shine a light on it.

Don't like some of the responses, then don't read them or post a thread. Very simple.

Don't like everybody hassling you about your comments? Don't make them. Very simple.

Yes: people are praying to cure Covid.

People pray for many things. "Cure all Covid in every person" is surely being prayed by some, but it's not the only thing being prayed.

And yet, confirmed cases and deaths keep increasing. That's rather compelling evidence that prayer doesn't work.

No it isn't. There's no compelling evidence there - only confirmation of your clear bias. One reason I just stated: A total cure isn't the only thing being prayed. Second is that prayer is not generally claimed to be - nor generally expected to act like - some kind of magic spell where you say the words and magic always happens. So arguing against prayer the way you do is really a type of straw man.

People pray to God and sometimes the answer is "no" or "not yet." Believers understand that. Militant atheists get told this over and over, but they ignore it because it's more fun to troll.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.26  cjcold  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.24    4 years ago

Obviously you don't understand the concept of proving a negative. 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.27  cjcold  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1    4 years ago

Pretty sure that I am a God. I just need money for a new Learjet to spread the word.

Send tithings to cjcold@Learjet.com. God will love you for it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.28  Texan1211  replied to  cjcold @1.1.26    4 years ago

Obviously you didn't understand my post.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.29  Gordy327  replied to  cjcold @1.1.27    4 years ago

Hallelujah! Lol

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.30  Gordy327  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.25    4 years ago
If you want to come on here, troll threads needlessly, and say dickish things, you are free to do that. And we are free to shine a light on it.

Just as some of us shine a light on the BS perpetrated in seeds like this.

Don't like everybody hassling you about your comments? Don't make them. Very simple.

I couldn't care less.

People pray for many things. "Cure all Covid in every person" is surely being prayed by some, but it's not the only thing being prayed.

Pretty much all equally ineffective.

No it isn't. There's no compelling evidence there - only confirmation of your clear bias. 

How is stating actual facts of the situation a bias? If people pray for Covid to be cured or eliminated, or for people to stay healthy and alive, but clearly the exact opposite is occurring, that indicates the ineffectiveness of prayer.

People pray to God and sometimes the answer is "no" or "not yet."

That only further demonstrates the ineffectiveness, and futility of prayer. 

Believers understand that. Militant atheists get told this over and over, but they ignore it because it's more fun to troll.

Now you're showing your bias!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.31  Tacos!  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.30    4 years ago
the BS perpetrated

Prove it's BS.

I couldn't care less.

You sure put a lot of effort in for someone who claims they couldn't care less. That makes your claim pretty obviously not true.

Pretty much all equally ineffective.

Prove it.

How is stating actual facts of the situation a bias?

Straw man (BIG surprise!) I didn't say stating actual facts of the situation constitutes bias. That doesn't even make sense. Here's the confirmation bias: 

You claimed

confirmed cases and deaths keep increasing. That's rather compelling evidence that prayer doesn't work.

You don't know what people are praying for. You assume you know. You also assume that prayer is supposed to eliminate all new cases and deaths. That's your own assumption. I don't know of anyone who has claimed that and neither do you.

So you make all these assumptions and all on your own you decide that this is the total and complete measure of whether or not prayer "works." You have no authority, no grounds for making such a definition. 

Therefore, your data (i.e. people get sick and die) cannot be used to prove or disprove whether or not prayer "works."

Instead, what did happen? You came into this with the personal belief that prayer does not work, and you latched on to whatever bit of information suited you and declared without logic or reason - only confirmation bias - that that data is compelling evidence that prayer does not work. Your conclusion wasn't compelled. It preexisted and you confirmed it with no thoughtful analysis.

If people pray for Covid to be cured or eliminated, or for people to stay healthy and alive, but clearly the exact opposite is occurring, that indicates the ineffectiveness of prayer.

You can't say that unless you know how prayer works. You have demonstrated that you clearly don't. Neither do you care to learn.

That only further demonstrates the ineffectiveness, and futility of prayer. 

No it doesn't. For the same reasons already stated. God is not computer software you can program. God is also not slave to every wish of human beings. You are repeatedly misrepresenting what prayer is.

Now you're showing your bias!

Nope. My theory is developed based on experienced and you consistently reaffirm that observation.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.32  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.31    4 years ago

You rebut the personification of the title of the seeded article perfectly.  Thanks!  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3  MrFrost    4 years ago
President Trump, who is doing everything he can to fight the coronavirus, called for a Day of Prayer recently. He proclaimed, “We are a Country that, throughout our history, has looked to God for protection and strength in times like these.”

So much for that separation of church and state thing. Weird that the right wing "Christians" yell and scream about keeping Government out of our lives, then cheer when the government does exactly that. Can I assume that prayer was at some point banned, and this 'proclamation' was required to restore the need to sit in a quiet room talking to oneself, (AKA prayer)? In essence, a law was passed to ensure people could do what they already had the free ability to do. What a waste of legislation and time. People like that stupid fucker todd starnes was just last week encouraging people to congregate at churches, (and this morning, he was begging people to buy even more guns). I guess he either;

1) Thinks prayer will protect him from the coronavirus, or;

2) Wants people to die. 

Besides, I was under the impression that laws cannot be made regarding religion? 

Copeland was telling his flock that losing their jobs and not being able to pay their mortgage, is no excuse to not give money to his church... "I don't care if you have to live on the streets, I need another private jet!!!!!" Sad thing is that there are suckers out there that will do exactly what he wants them to do. 

I don't care if people pray, feel free. It won't actually do anything to help, but if it makes people feel better? Go for it. Just quit trying to force your religion down people's throats and stay the fuck off my porch.  

Trump has done everything he can to ignore and downplay the "Democrat Hoax" known as Covid-19. As recent as yesterday he said that he will not help states that don't praise him. Gov. Whitmer has received calls from surrounding states that say they have been told to not give any aid to Michigan. Where is that coming from? The Trump Admin. Have we forgotten all the lies trump has told about the COVID-19 response? "It's totally under control"...he said that whopper just a few weeks ago, now we are passing 100k people infected. Does that sound like it's, "totally under control"? Then he lied about the severity, the rate of infection, the drugs used to treat it, (there are none, per Dr. Fauci), the mortality rate and the lies about the tests.. Why exactly did trump turn down the testing kits the W.H.O offered? We clearly needed them. Oh that's right, Kushner's brother owns a company that can make the tests and that donny has stock in...Naw, I'm sure it's just a big coincidence. The list of lies goes on and on, that's NOT "doing everything he can to fight coronavirus". 

In the early stages, there were Americans on cruise ships that were infected. Trump: "Well we don't want them in the USA, the numbers would make me look bad." Trump is more concerned about his image that helping fellow Americans. Just out of curiosity, how much of the money trump stole for his wall will be appropriated for fighting COVID-19? Not one cent. 

Trump loves America, just not the people in it. Trump wants the entire country to praise him for being two months late during this pandemic? Um, no. He needs to do the right thing no matter what, not just help people that kiss his ass. That's not an American value that I remember. 

If you seriously think trump is doing all he can? You have been lied to, big time. 

Christian Post? Yea, I am sure they are unbiased. 

Lastly. Our government throws around the term, "trillion" like it's just some arbitrary number, (all presidents going back to Ray Gun have done it). Give it the respect it deserves. If the 2 TRILLION dollar stimulus were seconds, it would last 64,000 years. A "TRILLION" is a shockingly big number. 

512 512 512

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3.1  lady in black  replied to  MrFrost @3    4 years ago

I'd vote this up 100x....why are some people BLIND to the horrendous job crooked donnie is doing....kiss my ring, say nice things and I'll send help, otherwise go piss up a drain pipe...great american president /s

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  lady in black @3.1    4 years ago

He is, in every way that matters, a horrible human being. 

Also, thank you. 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.4  devangelical  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @3.1.3    4 years ago
where he fits in on many levels while simultaneously sticking it right back in their faces. Something that continues to be ignored yet is so prominent to this very day

for the sake of clarification, which right wing deity is being described?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.7  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @3.1.6    4 years ago

Like clockwork 

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1.8  devangelical  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @3.1.6    4 years ago
are you here for the anti-Christian bigotry fest?

the anti-fake xtian bashing fest to be precise.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.9  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @3.1.8    4 years ago

fortunately you as a former believer turned against the faith don’t get to decide whether Christians are real or not.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.10  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.9    4 years ago

Neither do you!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.11  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.10    4 years ago

I don’t sit in judgement over others.  That’s reserved to God alone.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.12  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.11    4 years ago
I don’t sit in judgement over others.

Funny how you've done it so often.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.13  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @3.1.12    4 years ago

Projecting yourself upon others again?  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.1.14  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.13    4 years ago

Not even a little.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @3    4 years ago

The seed is about prayer during a national crisis and how it’s been done repeatedly through out our history and why some now have such an aversion to it.  The seed has next to nothing to do with how Trump is doing as our President, other than that he joined many other Presidents who have called for prayer in addition to the other things we can do

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.2.1  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2    4 years ago
The seed is about prayer during a national crisis and how it’s been done repeatedly through out our history and why some now have such an aversion to it.  The seed has next to nothing to do with how Trump is doing as our President, other than that he joined many other Presidents who have called for prayer in addition to the other things we can do

It always was and still is just an empty gesture which accomplishes nothing other than political pandering and lip service to the masses.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @3.2.1    4 years ago

And yet you are always here to complain about it despite it being done repeatedly through out our history.  Fortunately most people disregard your desire for us to despair in utter hopelessness instead...

MrFrost
Professor Expert
3.2.3  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2.2    4 years ago

And yet you are always here to complain about it despite it being done repeatedly through out our history.  Fortunately most people disregard your desire for us to despair in utter hopelessness instead...

I am getting the impression that what you see as "complaining" other people see as stating a truth. 

That's a 100% true statement, no need to attack him for it. If you want to debate it, feel free, but attacking someone for posting something truthful only illustrates how weak your argument really is. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.2.4  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2.2    4 years ago
And yet you are always here to complain about it despite it being done repeatedly through out our history.

Just as you are always here to post articles like this.

Fortunately most people disregard your desire for us to despair in utter hopelessness instead...

Is that what you think I'm trying to do? Wow, just too laughable.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.2.6  Gordy327  replied to  Release The Kraken @3.2.5    4 years ago
Gee I hope he doesn't just post them to dial you up. That wouldn't be right.

I doubt that's his intention and certainly not the effect.

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.2.7  devangelical  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.2.2    4 years ago
despite it being done repeatedly through out our history.

take a hint. get a clue.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.8  Tacos!  replied to  Gordy327 @3.2.1    4 years ago
It always was and still is just an empty gesture

You can't prove it so you should stop claiming it.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.9  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @3.2.7    4 years ago

I did.  That’s why I seeded this article and made the posts I have made.  An active prayer life has done many people much good.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.2.10  Gordy327  replied to  Tacos! @3.2.8    4 years ago
You can't prove it so you should stop claiming it.

Considering calling for prayer during this crisis (or any other for that matter) hasn't actually done anything to resolve it, then yes, praying is just a useless gesture. It's little more than an emotional appeal to the masses.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.11  Tacos!  replied to  Gordy327 @3.2.10    4 years ago
Considering calling for prayer during this crisis (or any other for that matter) hasn't actually done anything to resolve it

You have no way of knowing if that's true. Hasn't done anything? On the contrary, I would say it has brought out the Christian impulse of charity in many people. The effort they are putting out - even if it's just thinking of others enough to stay home - will reduce the ultimate damage done by this disease.

It's little more than an emotional appeal to the masses.

Even if that's all it does, it is therefore not a "useless gesture."

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.12  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @3.2.11    4 years ago

It seems that the 10% wish for their emotional well being is that the 70% suffer in silence and not publicly express what we believe during this crisis because they can’t be offended by people talking of hope through their faith and belief.  Talk about selfishness, the consistent trait of the secular humanist.  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.2.13  pat wilson  replied to  Tacos! @3.2.11    4 years ago

Charity is a "Christian impulse" ???

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.2.14  Tacos!  replied to  pat wilson @3.2.13    4 years ago

Yes. Of course. I didn't say you had to be Christian to be charitable, but it is something that Christians are specifically called to be.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.2.15  Sparty On  replied to  pat wilson @3.2.13    4 years ago

Well, you don’t see a lot of community based Atheist food banks or charities out there.    

Every church I’ve ever gone to has at least a food bank that the needy draw from.  The biggest fund raiser for the needy in our community is a Christian based fund raiser.    Most communities have a Salvation Army which is Christian based.

So yes charity is big for many Christians but they certainly don’t have the market cornered.    I don’t see anyone trying to infer that here.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.16  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  pat wilson @3.2.13    4 years ago

Yes it is.  We as Christians are called to be charitable, give to charity, and to do to the least of these.  The mandate is clear that we are to be charitable which means assisting the poor and homeless, visiting and helping the sick, providing help to those in prison, providing food, clothing, blankets, to those in need.  Many churches operate charities that are directly involved in all that as well as provide education and hospital and or clinics all over America and the world.  Catholic, Methodist, Latter Day Saints, Evangelicals, Episcopalian, Seventh Day Adventist, Lutheran, Orthodox, Salvation Army, all are well known for their efforts in the above.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.17  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.15    4 years ago

[deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.2.18  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @3.2.15    4 years ago

Less God, Less Giving

Karl Zinsmeister | Winter 2019

From its founding, the United States has been the most religious modern nation on earth. And that devotion has fueled many successes in character development, mutual aid, social reform, and national productivity. Yet right from the beginning, American religious activity has been cyclical—flowing and ebbing and flowing again. Historians have identified up to four “great awakenings” in U.S. history where religious conviction surged. In between were periods of backsliding.

Today, we are in a period of decline. Steep decline.

Open antagonism toward faith is increasingly common in the U.S. There are now regular calls for crimping longstanding religious protections. New York Times religion columnist Mark Oppenheimer urged that the peak of the gay marriage debate was a good occasion to end the historic tax exemption for houses of worship. The insistence that expressions of faith must be expunged from national discussions, from education, even from sporting and other public events, is on the rise. “There are a lot of nonbelievers who want religious views kept out of the public square entirely. That’s a big problem,” pastor Tim Keller recently told Philanthropy.

Underlying this resistance to religion is an assumption that faith is not important to the functioning of our nation. It has little social value, according to this view, and may even be harmful to citizens and the republic in various ways. Rising numbers of Americans believe that religious activity can be stopped or pushed entirely into private sanctums without any public cost. 

Those Americans are mistaken.

American faith takes a tumble

As recently as 1972, 95 percent of Americans affirmed a religious affiliation. By 2016 that had fallen to 76 percent. (See graph 1) The proportion of adults who attend religious services weekly is now down to 36 percent. (See graph 2)

Younger Americans in particular are falling away. Just 27 percent of adults under 30 attend services weekly. And nearly four out of ten 18-29-year-olds now say they have no religious affiliation. (See graph 3)

What does it mean to be religiously unaffiliated? Well, roughly six out of ten of this group consider themselves secular, and three out of ten are active atheists or agnostics. The small remainder identify as “religious” but with no particular faith. Most of the unaffiliated are suspicious of religion.

A large majority of today’s religiously unaffiliated Americans believe that religious institutions do little or nothing to solve social problems. (See graph 4) As a result, more of the U.S. population as a whole now say religion is “part of the problem” than say it is “part of the solution.” (See graph 5)

When it comes specifically to philanthropy, 57 percent of all Americans today believe that efforts to help the poor, comfort the needy, relieve disaster victims, and otherwise serve the common good would be just as prevalent “if there were no people of faith or religious organizations to do them.” (See graph 6) As a factual matter, is that accurate?

The humanitarian habits of religious people

When researchers document how people spend their hours and their money, religious Americans look very different from others. Pew Research Center investigators examined the behavior of a large sample of the public across a typical seven-day period. They found that among Americans who attend services weekly and pray daily, 45 percent had done volunteer work during the previous week. Among all other Americans, only 27 percent had volunteered  somewhere. (See graph 7)

The capacity of religion to motivate pro-social behavior goes way beyond volunteering. Religious people are more involved in community groups. They have stronger links with their neighbors. They are more engaged with their own families. Pew has found that among Americans who attend worship weekly and pray daily, about half gather with extended family members at least once a month. For the rest of our population, it’s 30 percent. (See graph 8

Of all the “associational” activity that takes place in the U.S., almost half is church-related, according to Harvard sociologist Robert Putnam. “As a whole,” notes Tim Keller,  “secularism is not good for society.” Secularism “makes people very fragmented—they might talk about community, but they aren’t sacrificing their own personal goals for community, as religion requires you to do.”

Religious practice links us in webs of mutual knowledge, responsibility, and support like no other influence. Seven out of ten weekly church attenders told Pew they consider “work to help the needy” an “essential part” of their faith. Most of them put their money and time where their mouth is: 65 percent of weekly church attenders were found to have donated either volunteer hours or money or goods to the poor within the previous week. (See graph 9)

Philanthropic studies show that people with a religious affiliation give away several times as much every year as other Americans. Research by the Lilly School at Indiana University found Americans with any religious affiliation made average annual charitable donations of $1,590, versus $695 for those with no religious affiliation. Another report using data from the Panel Study for Income Dynamics juxtaposed Americans who do not attend religious services with those who attend worship at least twice a month, and made fine-tunings to compare demographic apples to apples. The results: $2,935 of annual charitable giving for the church attenders, versus $704 for the non-attenders. (See graph 10) In addition to giving larger amounts, the religious give more often—making gifts about half again as frequently.

In study after study, religious practice is the behavioral variable with the strongest and most consistent association with generous giving. And people with religious motivations don’t give just to faith-based causes—they are also much likelier to give to secular causes than the nonreligious. Two thirds of people who worship at least twice a month give to secular causes, compared to less than half of non-attenders, and the average secular gift by a church attender is 20 percent bigger. (See graph 11)

These giving levels vary by particular faith. Mormons are the most generous Americans, both by participation level and by size of gifts. Evangelical Christians are next. Then come mainline Protestants. Catholics lag both. Jews give high dollar amounts on average, because they have high earnings, while trailing Protestant givers in donations as a share of income. (See “Who Gives Most to Charity?” in the Almanac of American Philanthropy.)

Religious charity dominates U.S. philanthropy

America’s tradition of voluntary charitable giving is one of the clearest markers of U.S. exceptionalism. As a fraction of our income, we donate over two and a half times as much as Britons do, more than eight times as much as the Germans, and at 12 times the rate of the Japanese. American religiosity plays a central role in that distinctive pattern.

The annual Giving USA tabulations show a third of our donations as going to religious causes. But Giving USAstatisticians acknowledge that this is a gross underestimate. Their calculations include only gifts to houses of worship and related mission organizations. Excluded from their total, they point out, are gifts to faith-based organizations like the Salvation Army and gospel missions for the homeless, to religious schools of all sorts, to Catholic hospitals, to the Jewish federations, to missionary organizations that serve the poor abroad, and so forth.

A consortium of Jewish funders and other independent foundations called Connected to Give commissioned studies to produce a more inclusive and accurate estimate of religiously driven giving. Its 2013 report conglomerated gifts to churches and synagogues with gifts to faith charities and found that 73 percent of all charitable giving in the U.S. goes to organizations that are explicitly religious. (See graph 12) Other research shows that of America’s top 50 charities, 40 percent are faith-based.

An even more inclusive 2016 study by Georgetown University economist Brian Grim calculated the economic value of all U.S. religious activity. Its midrange estimate was that religion annually contributes $1.2 trillion of socioeconomic value to the U.S. economy. This estimate includes not only the fair market value of activity connected to churches (like $91 billion of religious schooling and daycare), and by non-church religious institutions (faith-based charities, hospitals, and colleges), but also activity by faith-related commercial organizations. That $1.2 trillion is more than the combined revenue of America’s ten biggest tech giants. It is bigger than the total economy of all but 14 entire nations.

Ways the religious help others 

To get a sense of the often-invisible ways in which persons of faith help others, consider giving to the poorest of the poor overseas. The most conspicuous philanthropy done in this area is carried out by the Gates Foundation. Gates contributions in Africa and other low-income countries are the signature effort of the world’s largest charitable foundation, and have had heroic effects, in areas ranging from malaria protection to HIV control to eradicating polio.

With the marvelous Gates generosity in mind, now absorb this: members of U.S. churches and synagogues send four and a half times as much money overseas to needy people every year as the Gates Foundation does! Much of this religious charity is applied in the hardest places, with high efficiency and low overhead, by Christians who “go the last mile” into rural, extremely poor, or dangerous areas where governments and international bureaucracies have no effective reach. (See “Modern Missionaries” in the Spring 2018 issue of Philanthropy.)

It is easy to overlook this giving, because it comes not in megagifts from billionaires but rather in millions of $50 checks written by faithful donors to groups like Samaritan’s Purse, World Vision, International Justice Mission, Mercy Ships, American Jewish World Service, Compassion International, Catholic Medical Mission Board, MAP International, and so forth. Over the last couple decades, soaring interest in the poorest of the poor by evangelical Christians in particular has made overseas giving the fastest growing corner of American charity. One result: U.S. voluntary giving to the overseas poor now totals $44 billion annually—far more than the $33 billion of official aid distributed by the U.S. government.

There are many other types of charity and social healing where religious givers are dominant influences. 

• Religious Americans adopt children at two and a half times the overall national rate, and they play a particularly large role in fostering and adopting troubled and hard-to-place kids. (See graph 13)
  • Local church congregations, aided by umbrella groups like Catholic Charities, provide most of the day-to-day help that resettles refugees and asylum seekers arriving in the U.S.
  • Research shows that the bulk of volunteers mentoring prisoners and their families, both while they are incarcerated and after they are released, are Christians eager to welcome offenders back into society, help them succeed, and head off returns to crime.
  • The educational alternative that draws most of the headlines today is charter schooling, which serves 3 million children. Much less often acknowledged is the fact that 3.8 million children are educated every year in religious schools in the U.S. (See graph 14) There is evidence these religious schools offer qualitative advantages: their students experience less violence and bullying and feel more secure, exhibit better citizenship skills, are more engaged with their community, and produce average SAT scores more than 100 points higher than public-school students.
  • Religious hospitals care for one out of every five U.S. hospital patients. Catholic institutions account for 16 percent of all hospital beds, and additional large health-care systems are run by Adventists, Baptists, Methodists, Jews, and other faith groups. (See graph 15)
  • Faith-based organizations are at the forefront of both care and recovery for the homeless. A 2017 study found that 58 percent of the emergency shelter beds in 11 surveyed cities are maintained by religious providers—who also delivered many of the addiction, health-care, education, and job services needed to help the homeless regain their independence. (See graph 16)
  • Local congregations provide 130,000 alcohol-recovery programs.
  • Local congregations provide 120,000 programs that assist the unemployed.
  • Local congregations provide 26,000 programs to help people living with HIV/AIDS—one ministry for every 46 people infected with the virus. 
  • Churches recruit a large portion of the volunteers needed to operate organizations like Habitat for 
    • for Humanity, Meals on Wheels, America's thousands of food pantries and feeding programs, Big Brothers Big Sisters, the Red Cross, and other volunteer-dependent charities. 

One strength of religious philanthropy is sheer numbers. There are approximately 345,000 congregations stretched across our nation. If you wander America, notes economist Brian Grim, you will pass 25 churches for every Starbucks you come across. (See graph 17) The millions of decentralized services provided by those houses of worship include things like free or below-market space provided to community groups, preschool and daycare offerings, many types of social services, arts events, Boy Scout and sports-team sponsorships, and cash and in-kind support for neighborhood causes and needy individuals.

Multi-decade research led by University of Pennsylvania professor Ram Cnaan has found large human and economic benefits from church operations. One of his studies of older urban churches found that 89 percent of total visits to these institutions were to take part in a program, educational offering, or community event, rather than for worship. Nine out of ten beneficiaries of these community programs were not members of the religious congregation. Cnaan estimated that the economic impact alone these houses of worship have on their locale averages $1.7 million per year. Multiply that by many thousands of churches nationwide, and then add in non-economic improvements in social life and individual behavior, and you can see the potential for large effects. (See graph 18)

Not surprisingly, studies of church closures conducted by Nancy Kinney and others find that shutting down a city congregation will often damage a neighborhood’s viability and socioeconomic health. Conversely, active churches, religious schools sponsored by churches, and church-aided neighborhood ministries (like the Zarephath Health Center profiled in “Medical Matchmaking” in the Fall 2017 issue of Philanthropy) can often have strong effects in stabilizing and revitalizing communities.

It isn’t just a matter of serving and healing others. People of faith also behave differently themselves. There is lots of evidence that in addition to encouraging a “brother’s keeper” attitude that manifests itself in philanthropy and volunteering, religious participation also inculcates healthy habits that help individuals resist destructive personal behavior themselves.

A classic study by Harvard economist James Freeman found that black males living in inner-city poverty tracts were far less likely to engage in crime and drug use if they attended church. Church attendance was also associated with better academic performance and more success in holding jobs. Follow-up studies found that regular church attendance could even help counterbalance threats to child success like parental absence, low school quality, local drug traffic, and crime in the neighborhood.

Regular religious participation is correlated with many positive social outcomes: less poverty, fewer divorces and more marital happiness, fewer births out of wedlock, less suicide, reduced binge-drinking, less depression, better relationships. This is true among Americans of all demographic backgrounds.

Causes for concern

Given all the evidence linking religious practice with both healthy individual behavior and generosity toward others, recent patterns of religious decline are concerning. The generational trends—a third of 18-29-year-olds saying they are religiously unaffiliated, and only a quarter attending services weekly—suggest that the philanthropic sharing that has long powered social reform and self-improvement in America could sag in the future. Indeed, recent research on voluntary giving says that future is already here.

Four important investigations in the last year or so uncovered alarming declines in the breadth of American giving. A Lilly School of Philanthropy report found that the fraction of U.S. households giving to charity dropped from 68 to 56 percent from 2003 to 2015. A similar 2018 study at the University of Maryland confirmed that tumble, and added evidence that the national volunteering rate is also deteriorating. By 2015 there were 10 million fewer volunteers in the U.S. than there would have been if the 2005 rate had just held constant. Meanwhile, analysis of the last ten years of IRS data by the Chronicle of Philanthropy showed a drop in charitable-deduction itemizing from 30 percent of all filers to 24 percent. And a study by Texas A&M academics reported “sharp declines in overall donative behavior” over the past decade. (See graph 19)

It appears that not only generational change but also wealth effects are depressing religious philanthropy. While giving by the whole population has recently declined, gifts from the rich continue to be strong. The rich, however, tend to give to different causes than everyday Americans. Data from the Center on Wealth and Philanthropy show that households making $140,000 or more in current dollars donate only 30 percent of their charity to causes connected to religion—while other Americans channel 60 percent in that direction. If giving by moderate-income households continues to fade and donations by the wealthy become more dominant in the future, expect a bigger flow of philanthropy to colleges and art galleries, and less to charities motivated by religious concern for the least and the lost. (See graph 20)

It’s clear that America’s unusual religiosity and extraordinary generosity are closely linked. As faith spirals downward, voluntary giving is very likely to follow. An obvious question for philanthropists is whether the causation arrow can be reversed.

Might there be ways that savvy donors could reinforce religious practice, yielding a range of pro-social results including more charitable generosity? We gave that question serious thought and came up with some practical proposals for philanthropists interested in rebuilding faith and generosity in tandem. For some rays of hope on this somewhat gloomy subject, turn to “Ways Philanthropy Can Reinforce Faith and Its Good Works” in the Ideas section of this magazine.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @3    4 years ago

Thanks for proving the article correct about bashing prayer in a time of crisis and bashing prayer, The Bible, God, and Christians in general in the process. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4  Sparty On    4 years ago

Haters gotta hate.    It’s a universal constant.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @4    4 years ago

That is the bottom line isn’t it?  They must really hate our country’s history as well as days of prayer 🙏 are there through out our history.  And it was our founders who believed in a separation of church and state that did it and prayed opening their meetings and had worship services in our capital building.  George Washington was right about his description of those who deny divine providence in our founding as a nation.  

Cathar
Freshman Silent
4.1.1  Cathar  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1    4 years ago

Washington was a deist and believed in a greater being. Our first amendment was written to protect us from State Religion and so-called leaders like tRump acting like the State and Church are one. That Shining City on the Hill is now for sale to tRumps highest bidders.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1    4 years ago

In my experience they tend to be very unhappy people for one reason or another.    Holding so much anger and hate in their hearts.    

It’s very sad.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Sparty On  replied to    4 years ago

My faith is strong.    

I really don’t worry about what others think of that but I do find all the hatred and anger that gets direct towards people of faith here to be very telling of the source.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Cathar @4.1.1    4 years ago
Washington was a deist and believed in a greater being. Our first amendment was written to protect us from State Religion and so-called leaders like tRump acting like the State and Church are one. That Shining City on the Hill is now for sale to tRumps highest bidders.

Oh, FFS. Are you seriously equating a President (even the hated Trump!) calling for a National Day of Prayer with passing laws regarding religion?

Get real.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.8  Sparty On  replied to    4 years ago

Well, it is generally free speech, which I support wholeheartedly in most cases.   Doesn’t mean one has to agree with what’s being said.

Free speech is easy when you agree with what’s being said.    It’s only gets hard when you disagree with it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.9  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.8    4 years ago
Free speech is easy when you agree with what’s being said.    It’s only gets hard when you disagree with it.

Exactly.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.12  MrFrost  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.4    4 years ago
My faith is strong.     I really don’t worry about what others think of that but I do find all the hatred and anger that gets direct towards people of faith here to be very telling of the source.

Read this thread top to bottom. Who is attacking who here? Lots of personal comments aimed at individuals posting here. I don't care if your faith is strong, in fact, good for you. I mean that. But this article fails on two accounts;

1) Trump's response to the coronavirus was, is, and will be a total shitshow.

2) No one, not ONE person has ever even suggested that prayer be removed, or for that matter, curtailing what faith people in this country choose to follow. 

It's that simple. Pray all you like if that makes you feel better. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.13  Sparty On  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.12    4 years ago

Well from what I can see there is plenty of attacking and defending going in both directions.    

That said Frosty, I’ll leave the rest alone.   We clearly are not going to agree on much of that.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.14  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago
How many of the anti religious bigots posts are deleted for proselytizing?

They are not proselytizing. The faithless can not proselytize. They can only talk about reason and that isn't a faith.

Cathar
Freshman Silent
4.1.15  Cathar  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.5    4 years ago

Real is obviously something you lack. Argue my points I doubt you can.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.17  Texan1211  replied to  Cathar @4.1.15    4 years ago
Argue my points I doubt you can.

You would first have to actually HAVE a valid point.

When can I expect that?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.18  MrFrost  replied to    4 years ago

Absolutely not true.

I just posted trumps statements on COVID-19, he absolutely lied. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.20  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.12    4 years ago

But ultimately God answered their prayers — so much so that George Washington said that one would be “worse than an infidel” to not recognize the Lord’s help in our becoming an independent nation.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.21  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Release The Kraken @4.1.10    4 years ago

[deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.22  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.14    4 years ago

That’s ridiculous to say that atheists and secularists can’t or don’t advocate for their position or beliefs.  They can even quote the Bible to persuade in their unbelief but if a believer does do to explain what we believe or why we do so then it’s  not ok.  Loki is right in all that he’s said on this subject here

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.23  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.12    4 years ago

What does Trump have to do with the title or subject of the seed?  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.24  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.23    4 years ago

It's in your article:

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.25  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.23    4 years ago

Did you read the first fucking sentence? 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.26  MrFrost  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.20    4 years ago
But ultimately God answered their prayers

Prove it. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.27  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.8    4 years ago

Atheists have it and Christians do not.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.28  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.14    4 years ago

The French Revolution is how reason alone without any religion ends up.  They worshipped reason as their new God like todays atheists worship the god of logic.  And yes it’s a belief system.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.29  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.24    4 years ago

Because he’s right that we have through our history done that and are doing that and up to the end times always will do that.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.30  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.28    4 years ago
They worshipped reason as their new God like todays atheists worship the god of logic.  And yes it’s a belief system.  

Where is logic declared a religion or god exactly? Is there a religious text to go along with it? Or do you not see how absurdly contradictory your statement is?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.32  Gordy327  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @4.1.31    4 years ago

Oh, do tell!

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.34  Gordy327  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @4.1.33    4 years ago

I ask for an elaboration and all you have to offer is snark. I'll make a note of that too.

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.36  JBB  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @4.1.35    4 years ago

We don't know. Give it a try so we can decide...

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.37  Gordy327  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @4.1.35    4 years ago

Still no elaboration, just more snark and evasion I see. How illogical.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.39  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.26    4 years ago

Washington believed it enough to say that those who denied it were worse than infidels and I agree with Washington to this day on that comment.  

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.40  Gordy327  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @4.1.38    4 years ago
So go ahead and lash out. No way out of that logic trap for you. 

Post 4.1.37

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.42  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @4.1.41    4 years ago

The denial is obvious.  There is no hope without religion.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.43  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @4.1.41    4 years ago

They totally ignored it. The French and Russian revolutions combined with all countries that had atheism as their state religion while repressing theistic religion all without exception had bad endings.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.45  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @4.1.44    4 years ago

Secular humanism is today’s cult of reason. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.46  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.45    4 years ago

You say that like reason is a bad thing? It certainly beats the alternatives.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.47  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.46    4 years ago

Actually going by past secularists behaviors and the things believers do as shown here, ours is the more beneficial 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.48  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.47    4 years ago
Actually going by past secularists behaviors and the things believers do as shown here, ours is the more beneficial 

What a bias. But I'm talking about reason, not behavior. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.49  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.48    4 years ago

I don’t care what you say regarding your concept of what reason and logic mean.  There is no morality in those two traits or their belief system.  On the other hand those are believers and act in accordance with those beliefs greatly benefit society as a whole.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.50  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.49    4 years ago
I don’t care what you say regarding your concept of what reason and logic mean. 

Or you just don't care about logic and reason.

There is no morality in those two traits or their belief system.  On the other hand those are believers and act in accordance with those beliefs greatly benefit society as a whole.

Another Strawman. The issue of point is reason, not morality or behavior. And reason isn't a belief system either. So it's apparent you do not undersand what reason is. Perhaps that's why you seem to view it as a threat of some kind?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
4.1.51  Sparty On  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.49    4 years ago

[deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.52  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.50    4 years ago

If you want to talk about reason go start your own seed about that religion or take it to critical thinkers or secularists groups.  Your atheist religious belief system and placing logic on a pedestal above all else is no threat to either our beliefs nor the works we do in the world because of the love and faith we have.  Like I’ve said, get your co believers to match us in what we do to ease human suffering in the world with dollars and works instead of carping uselessly at what we believe?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.53  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.52    4 years ago

What beliefs are you referring? How is logic, reason, or atheism a religion or belief exactly? Thats an oxymoron if there ever was one. It's both odd and sad that you seem to view logic and reason as some kind of threat. What you believe isn't the issue either. So I'm not  sure why youre making this abut you. Unless you're just trying to play the victim again.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.2  Tacos!  replied to  Sparty On @4    4 years ago
Haters gotta hate.    It’s a universal constant.

True. Although, too be fair to most of America, I don't think we should put too much stock in a couple of stone-hearted jerks on Twitter. Even if they are sorta famous.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @4.2    4 years ago

Good point!

Cathar
Freshman Silent
5  Cathar    4 years ago

Jesus Christ died on the cross to save us from our sins. tRump wants Americas to suffer to save him from his sins.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1  Texan1211  replied to  Cathar @5    4 years ago
 tRump wants Americas to suffer to save him from his sins.

Unmitigated bullshit.

Cathar
Freshman Silent
5.1.2  Cathar  replied to  Texan1211 @5.1    4 years ago

Obviously you speak from your won experience.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Cathar @5.1.2    4 years ago
Obviously you speak from your won experience

Again, please, and let it make sense this time.

Cathar
Freshman Silent
6  Cathar    4 years ago

When White Evangelicals and their leaders like the Lt. Governor of Texas believe the elderly need to die to save Wall Street they are not Christians. They want others to pay for their sins.

Cathar
Freshman Silent
7  Cathar    4 years ago

I pray every day to save the least of us from suffering. tRump lies every day to protect himself and his Presidency. The "Two Corinthians" President believes in only one prophet and that is profit.

lady in black
Professor Quiet
9  lady in black    4 years ago

When was the last time crooked donnie ACTUALLY went to church?

His church is the golf course

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.1  MrFrost  replied to  lady in black @9    4 years ago

He has said in the past he is an atheist, but saying he is a Christian gets him more votes. Oldest con in the book, "tell the people what they want to hear and they will follow you anywhere". Just like Jim Jones. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @9.1    4 years ago

He’s a Presbyterian atheist?  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9.1.1    4 years ago

It is a well known fact in NY, that Trump never set foot into a church when he was not the president. His lineage might have been Presbyterian (not even sure of that, since he is of German background which would make him either Catholic or Lutheran), but he was non-practicing. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.1.4  MrFrost  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.2    4 years ago

He said in his book that he is an Atheist, which he claimed gave him and edge over Christians when making a deal. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MrFrost @9.1.4    4 years ago

I know that Mr. F, but I don't think that it's common knowledge.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.6  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @9.1.4    4 years ago

Gee, would that be the very same book so many said he didn't write??

Sparty On
Professor Principal
9.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  Release The Kraken @9.1.3    4 years ago

Don’t forget the 10 Hail Hillary’s for balance

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.1.8  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.6    4 years ago

If he said he was a full blown Christian, would you be saying that? Nope. He said it, deal with it, your spin and dance doesn't change  that fact. Sorry. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.9  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @9.1.8    4 years ago

Maybe one day you will wake up and realize that National Days of Prayer are not meant for the President alone. It is for America--and anyone willing to participate.

Just think back to the good old Obama days or Clinton days and remember how you never complained about them issuing a National Day of Prayer.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.10  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.6    4 years ago

His ideas, ghost writer. There is a difference. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.10    4 years ago
His ideas, ghost writer. There is a difference. 

While what you say is true, it is a far cry from what many wee saying.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.13  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @9.1.8    4 years ago
If he said he was a full blown Christian, would you be saying that? Nope. He said it, deal with it, your spin and dance doesn't change  that fact. Sorry. 

Give me the quote from the book and the page number so I can see it for myself.

You DO have it, right?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.1.14  MrFrost  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.5    4 years ago

I know that Mr. F, but I don't think that it's common knowledge.

I'm aware, but in the interests of continuity, I had to reply to you, even if it was meant for people other than yourself. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.1.15  MrFrost  replied to    4 years ago

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.1.16  MrFrost  replied to    4 years ago

Please, tell us what makes trump a Christian? Is it the lying? Sexual assault? etc..? 

If trump is a Christian, (and I highly doubt it), he is the worst one ever. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @9.1.16    4 years ago

Can you please provide a source for your claim that Trump is an atheist?

Got a quote from that book you said it was in?

Which book was it?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.1.19  MrFrost  replied to    4 years ago

Um, you may want to read down the thread...

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.1.20  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.18    4 years ago

Which book was it?

Kind of a short list.... I mean, he has published more books than he has read....mostly because he  can't read. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.21  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.2    4 years ago

I’m simply taking his word for what denomination he belongs to

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.22  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.9    4 years ago

well said.  👍👏🙏🗽🦅🇺🇸

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.23  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @9.1.20    4 years ago
Kind of a short list.... I mean, he has published more books than he has read....mostly because he  can't read. 

Then I accept your capitulation in that you made that claim up--especially since you have been asked for your source and you are unable to provide it.

Which I suspected all along anyways.

One last chance for redemption--give me the quote from the book you claim it is in.

If it is true, of course.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.1.24  MrFrost  replied to    4 years ago

Yes you are, thanks for admitting it.  because Politifact and snopes are more reliable than the simpleminded memes you appear to use. 

Nope, what you posted is fake news. Nothing but right wing media BS. 

I mean, that's what the right says every single time something negative is said about trump. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.25  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @9.1.24    4 years ago
Nope, what you posted is fake news. Nothing but right wing media BS. 

Then post the quote from the book you claimed it is in. Should end the argument quite easily for you, right. Here's your big chance to SHINE and be 100% correct on something that will be totally indisputable, right?

PLEASE give me the quote from the book! I know you have it because you said it was there!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.1.26  Texan1211  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.13    4 years ago
Give me the quote from the book and the page number so I can see it for myself. You DO have it, right?

Sorry, I must amend my statement.

I had no earthly idea that asking for quotes from sources claimed was taunting.

Bad on me.

JBB
Professor Principal
9.1.27  JBB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.2    4 years ago

In his youth along with his family Trump attended Dr Norman Vincent Peale's Marble Collegient Church. Peale preached a predecessor of the evangelical prosperity gospwl also known as the worship of money.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.28  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @9.1.26    4 years ago

It is that anytime a Christian makes a point that causes a secularist to feel or look bad 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
9.1.29  Tacos!  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.2    4 years ago
It is a well known fact in NY, that Trump never set foot into a church when he was not the president.

He has never made me think of him as a person of faith, but that is not my issue to judge. When it comes to voting for president, it's not terribly important to me, although I am glad to see him bring it up a lot now that he is president.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1.30  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @9.1.29    4 years ago

Me too. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  lady in black @9    4 years ago

But Trump!!!

lady in black
Professor Quiet
9.3.1  lady in black  replied to  XXJefferson51 @9.3    4 years ago

Yep, trump is a butt, and a moronic imbecile. 

Cathar
Freshman Silent
10  Cathar    4 years ago

Anyone supporting tRump and claim they are Christians is but they are only so as reflected in Matthew 23.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
11  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

The great holy man rump calls for prayer huh?!

5 And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. Truly I tell you, they already have their full reward.   6 But when you pray, go into your inner room, shut your door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. And your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

7 And when you pray, do not babble on like pagans, for they think that by their many words they will be heard.   8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.

Matthew 6:5-8

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2  Texan1211  replied to  Larry Hampton @11    4 years ago

I'm sure you were as critical of ALL other Presidents who have called for National Days of Prayer, right?

/s

https://time.com/4319501/obama-national-day-of-prayer

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.2.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2    4 years ago
I'm sure you were as critical of ALL other Presidents who have called for National Days of Prayer, right? /s

And where were you on Obama?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.2.2    4 years ago

Didn't particularly care for him and did not vote for him.

I also never criticized him for something so harmless as calling for a National Day of Prayer.

Do YOU feel it is worthy of criticism?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.2.5  MrFrost  replied to  Release The Kraken @11.2.3    4 years ago

I was fine with his Islamic faith, i coexist.

If he was Islamic, I guess GWB and GHWB and Trump are too. Or did you forget how tight Trump and MBS are? Or the 1.6 billion dollars worth of weapons trump sold to the Saudis......you remember them, the people that planned and perpetrated the 9/11 attacks? Yep, trump is a full blown Muslim. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.2.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @11.2.3    4 years ago

Well the expected reply to my comment was a 50/50

A. I was fine with his Islamic faith

B. I was fine with his anti white Christian faith

Thanks for playing. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.2.7  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.4    4 years ago
I also never criticized him for something so harmless as calling for a National Day of Prayer. Do YOU feel it is worthy of criticism?

Both times, it was a pointless waste of time. With 100% freedom of any and all religions, every day is a day of prayer.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.2.9  MrFrost  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.2.2    4 years ago

Obama couldn't possibly be a Christian because he had a funny sounding name. /s 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @11.2.5    4 years ago
If he was Islamic, I guess GWB and GHWB and Trump are too. Or did you forget how tight Trump and MBS are? Or the 1.6 billion dollars worth of weapons trump sold to the Saudis......you remember them, the people that planned and perpetrated the 9/11 attacks? Yep, trump is a full blown Muslim. 

Obama also sold weapons to the Saudis.

Did you complain about it then? 

I kind of doubt it.

Probably didn't even know that.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.2.11  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.4    4 years ago
Didn't particularly care for him and did not vote for him.

That wasn't my question.

I also never criticized him for something so harmless as calling for a National Day of Prayer.

That was because he was a practicing Christian.

Do YOU feel it is worthy of criticism?

I think it's BS when it comes from an Athiest, I wouldn't say the same thing if it was Pence. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @11.2.7    4 years ago
Both times, it was a pointless waste of time.

That is your opinion.

But we both know you can't prove that.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.2.13  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @11.2.8    4 years ago
Things no one said for 200 Alex

Yeah, right. I've been doing this gig for a long time and read plenty about that. I used to tell them to pick one. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.14  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.2.11    4 years ago
That wasn't my question.

Okay, then please explain what you meant by "Where were you on Obama?"

That was because he was a practicing Christian.

No, because I am not a jerk wad willing to criticize or ridicule folks for praying. Didn't have a thing to do with HIS religion.

I think it's BS when it comes from an Athiest, I wouldn't say the same thing if it was Pence. 

That's certainly one way to look at it. I prefer to accept that a National Day of Prayer is for all who wish to participate and not really about ANY President--even the ones I don't like.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.2.15  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.12    4 years ago
But we both know you can't prove that.

Can you prove that prayer has ever changed anything? Like say, curing cancer, feeding the poor or stopping coronavirus? 

Asking for a species. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.2.16  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.12    4 years ago
That is your opinion.

Do you need to have the government tell you when it's ok to pray? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.17  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @11.2.16    4 years ago
Do you need to have the government tell you when it's ok to pray? 

Certainly not--and I don't have a hissy fit if there is a National Day of Prayer, either.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.2.18  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.17    4 years ago

Certainly not--and I don't have a hissy fit if there is a National Day of Prayer, either.

See how easy that was? I don't care either way either, to me it just seems pointless no matter which president does it. 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
11.2.20  Gordy327  replied to  MrFrost @11.2.18    4 years ago
to me it just seems pointless no matter which president does it.

It's just political pandering and lip service.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.2.21  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.14    4 years ago
Okay, then please explain what you meant by "Where were you on Obama?"

We are talking about his faith.

No, because I am not a jerk wad willing to criticize or ridicule folks for praying. Didn't have a thing to do with HIS religion.

Again, I was talking about his faith. He was endlessly mocked for it. How were you about that?

That's certainly one way to look at it. I prefer to accept that a National Day of Prayer is for all who wish to participate and not really about ANY President--even the ones I don't like.

This has nothing to do with like or not liking. I didn't like Obama either. This has to do with hypocrisy. Trump was never a practicing Christan, so calling for a national day of prayer is pandering to his base. Pence calling for it, would be sincere.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.22  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.2.11    4 years ago

I want to know where you got your info that Trump is an atheist.

Please quote the passage in his book where you read that.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.23  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.2.21    4 years ago
We are talking about his faith.

Well, it has never mattered to me what religion someone is or if they even are religious. So I don't care what Obama is. Or what Trump is.

Again, I was talking about his faith. He was endlessly mocked for it. How were you about that?

I have never mocked anyone for their religion, or their lack of it.

This has nothing to do with like or not liking. I didn't like Obama either. This has to do with hypocrisy. Trump was never a practicing Christan. 

Then you are missing the bigger picture. National Days of Prayer aren't supposed to be about the President, are they? Why try to make it about Trump? Is there a sizable part of the population that does believe in God and prays? 

What does it hurt anyways?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.2.24  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.22    4 years ago

It is from a quote he gave the NY Times about the book:

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.25  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @11.2.18    4 years ago
See how easy that was? I don't care either way either, to me it just seems pointless no matter which president does it. 

I wonder why it seems to bother others if people pray.

Why do you care so much if others pray?

It may very well be pointless to you, but not to millions of others.

Tolerance is something that is learned, I suppose.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11.2.27  MrFrost  replied to  Gordy327 @11.2.20    4 years ago

It's just political pandering and lip service.

Exactly. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.28  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.2.24    4 years ago

Check out what Snopes has to say about that bogus claim, as was listed earlier here:

A purported quote about the business advantage of being an atheist from Donald Trump’s 1987 book  The Art of the Deal has been circulating as a meme since at least May 2017: “Being an atheist gives me an edge in every deal. Christians are too moral for business.” This quote does not appear in Trump’s The Art of the Deal.
FACT CHECK: Donald Trump Wrote that Being an Atheist Gives ...
www.snopes.com/fact-check/donald-trump-wrote-that-being-an-atheist-gave-him-a-business-ed…

Alos, Politifact:

or are these fact checkers just lying and covering for Trump??????????

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.2.29  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.28    4 years ago

More TDS on display.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.2.31  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @11.2.29    4 years ago

No Sparty, he did say it in the NYT. Not in the book. I fact-checked too.

And please tell me, what did you call it when people hated Obama? ODS?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.2.33  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.2.31    4 years ago
No Sparty, he did say it in the NYT. Not in the book. I fact-checked too.

How long ago was that and do you have a link?

And please tell me, what did you call it when people hated Obama? ODS?

we’ve had this conversation before.    

Yes, people treating Obama in a deranged manner, sure but it’s not even close to the same thing.    By that I mean the intensity of the derangement towards Trump is much, much worse.     And it’s not even close.

As I recall you don’t agree with that but to me it’s clear as a sunny day. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.34  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.2.24    4 years ago

You seem to be changing what you wrote earlier then.

Here is what Frost wrote, then your reply:

(Frost) He said in his book that he is an Atheist, which he claimed gave him and edge over Christians when making a deal.  (You) I know that Mr. F, but I don't think that it's common knowledge.

It probably isn't common knowledge because many of us recognize it as totally false and aren't snookered into believing it because someone says so.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.35  Texan1211  replied to    4 years ago
So he didn't say he was an atheist in the book  like was claimed...and the times found this later........Do we have a link to the article because it is nowhere to be found,   It's false!!!!!  Surely you can show us the times article.

Isn't it amazing that otherwise intelligent people can fall for something so fake?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.2.36  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @11.2.33    4 years ago

I don't agree Sparty. Fox News took off because of Obama. 

The Tea Party took off because of Obama

Trump took out a full page ad in the NYT saying that Obama needed to prove his citizenship. 

All of that is ODS. 

Ender
Professor Principal
11.2.38  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @11.2.33    4 years ago

You are right about one thing. It is not close to being the same.

donald is 'attacked' for many reasons, mostly from his own doing. For one, he cannot tell the truth about anything. He is ridiculed for his statement and actions.

Obama was usually attacked 'just because'. Hell people are still talking about the birther crap and making memes of Mrs Obama as a man.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.41  Texan1211  replied to    4 years ago

Man, if Fox only took off after Obama became President, my history books have Obama as President for the wrong years!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.2.43  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago

I'd love to see where you got that since I kind find ODS way past 2002. It's not hard to google. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.45  Texan1211  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.2.43    4 years ago
I'd love to see where you got that since I kind find ODS way past 2002. It's not hard to google. 

he was responding to your claim that Fox took off after Obama. They were clearly number one before the majority of Americans had even heard of Obama.

Nothing to do with ODS.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.2.47  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.2.24    4 years ago

Didn’t someone find a politifact or snopes so called fact finder that actually debunked this allegation?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.2.48  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.2.36    4 years ago

Fox News became number one after 9-11 and has been so since to this day.  The Tea Party started when Bush was President and grew out of opposition to repealing the Bush tax cuts and opposition to policies, Obamacare and stimulus.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.2.49  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @11.2.44    4 years ago

There you go.  Bingo!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.2.51  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    4 years ago

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.53  Texan1211  replied to  XXJefferson51 @11.2.47    4 years ago
Didn’t someone find a politifact or snopes so called fact finder that actually debunked this allegation?

Yes, and some folks are conveniently ignoring that debunking after making wild claims.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.54  Texan1211  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.22    4 years ago
Please quote the passage in his book where you read that.

Question withdrawn as "taunting".

So sorry.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.2.55  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.2.36    4 years ago

C’mon Perrie!     One cable network against all others, cable or network?    

CNN, ABC, CBS and NBC dwarf Fox in news stories per day and all are heavily anti Trump.    Obama could do no wrong EVER in their eyes.   All of that is easily documented but all one needed to do was pay attention to see it. 

And Fox became and stayed #1 long before Obama became POTUS so that dog don’t hunt either 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.2.56  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @11.2.38    4 years ago

Delusional nonsense Ender.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.2.57  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @11.2.55    4 years ago

If Fox was number 1, then that tells you about the other networks. 

And the bloom of new rightwing media was because of Obama. I mean what was Breitbart before Obama? How about this list, which all bloomed under Obama:

• The Daily Wire
  • National Review.
  • Newsmax Magazine.
  • The American Conservative.
  • The American Spectator.
  • The Weekly Standard.
  • Washington Examiner.
  • Taki's Magazine.
  • Spectator USA.
  • The Daily Caller
  • The American Conservative

I could go on... but I know it will only be met with your list. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.2.58  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.2.57    4 years ago

Keep talking around the big three mass media girlfriend.

We aren’t going to find any agreement on this topic  

Not in the least.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
11.2.59  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @11.2.58    4 years ago
We aren’t going to find any agreement on this topic   Not in the least.

You know why? You are making the assumption that because you are talking about the 3 out of the 4 network news (NY is the home of Fox News), that gives them some sort of more weight. When in truth, people seek out their own news sources, that agree with their POV. So it really doesn't matter that the old networks lean left, none of the right are watching them and that is what really matters. Hence why we watch all the different outlets since we know each one has a skew, but most people I know, don't do that. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.2.60  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.25    4 years ago

there certainly isn’t a lot of that for us Christians here is there?

Ender
Professor Principal
11.2.61  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @11.2.56    4 years ago

Nope. Looking at it with eyes wide open.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.2.62  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.2.57    4 years ago

The alternative media was in reaction to the mainstream media. Rush Limbaugh, The Washington Times, Fox News pioneered and then the internet brought about may more independent of the advent of the Obama regime.  National Review has been around since the late 1950’s. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.2.63  Sparty On  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @11.2.59    4 years ago

I admit I watch more Fox News but I try to watch a smattering of all the big three.    I find I can’t watch CNN long because of the very heavy left bias there.    That said I can only take so much of Fox News as well.

I’m going by viewership only.    The big three dwarf CNN and fox in that regard.    And the big three are clearly biased against a Trump.    Have been since before day one of his presidency.

The same can not be said of Obama.    Obama was their chosen one for his entire 8 years.    That CAN NOT be honestly argued.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.2.64  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @11.2.61    4 years ago

Good to know that you think that.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.2.65  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.35    4 years ago
“Being an atheist gives me an edge in every deal. Christians are too moral for business.”

This quote does not appear in Trump’s The Art of the Deal. We searched various digital copies of the book and found no incidence of these sentences — or even the word “atheist.” In fact, Trump’s book is practically void of religious mentions (it is, after all, a business book).

Although the Art of the Deal quote is fake, the New York Times quote in this meme is real and appears on the cover of some editions of the book. On 7 December 1987, Christopher Lehmann-Haupt ended his review of The Art of the Deal by saying that “Mr. Trump makes one believe for a moment in the American dream again.” However, the meme excludes the next sentence: “It’s like a fairy tale.”

A similar rumor holding that Trump identified himself as an atheist spread during the 2016 presidential election. In that case, the rumor was that Trump had bragged on The Phil Donahue Show in 1989 that his “impossibly high I.Q.” made it impossible for him to not be an atheist. We found that quote to be fake as well.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
11.2.66  Texan1211  replied to  XXJefferson51 @11.2.65    4 years ago

Well, of course they made stuff up.

To some, the truth doesn't seem to matter as long as they can bash Trump.

Pitiful.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.2.67  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @11.2.66    4 years ago

It’s all about getting Trump.  Not even a pandemic can call off the dogs.  That Trump and Pence called for America to pray in the face of this in addition to social distancing and precautions triggered them like nothing else could.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Larry Hampton @11    4 years ago

Would you have quoted that to Washington or Lincoln, or FDR, or any other President prior to Trump when they called for a day of prayer? 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11.4  Tacos!  replied to  Larry Hampton @11    4 years ago

He also prayed with the group and preached in public every day, so he wasn't exactly trying to tell people to hide in their house and never be public about their faith. He just didn't want people doing it for show.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
11.4.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @11.4    4 years ago

That’s the bottom line.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
12  MrFrost    4 years ago

Apparently, having faith isn't enough.

James 2:14-26   New King James Version (NKJV)

Faith Without Works Is Dead

14  What   does it   profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him?   15  If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food,   16  and   one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what   does it   profit?   17  Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18  But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.”   Show me your faith without   [ a ] your works,   and I will show you my faith by   [ b ] my works.   19  You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble!   20  But do you want to know, O foolish man, that faith without works is   [ c ] dead?   21  Was not Abraham our father justified by works   when he offered Isaac his son on the altar?   22  Do you see   that faith was working together with his works, and by   works faith was made   [ d ] perfect?   23  And the Scripture was fulfilled which says,   “Abraham believed God, and it was   [ e ] accounted to him for righteousness.”   And he was called   the friend of God.   24  You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.

25  Likewise,   was not Rahab the harlot also justified by works when she received the messengers and sent   them   out another way?

26  For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
12.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @12    4 years ago

That’s obvious.  That’s why once we believe by faith we grow in our relationship with Him. The works are things we do because we love him and want to please Him.  Faith alone can provide salvation such as that shown by the thief on the cross who died before there was a chance for a saved by faith alone relationship to mature.  Works alone with out faith can never earn one salvation.  We can not work or earn our way into Heaven.  Thanks for pointing that truth out. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
15  MrFrost    4 years ago

Enjoy your Saturday folks. Going to have surgery Monday so I gotta tie up some loose ends. 

Ender
Professor Principal
15.2  Ender  replied to  MrFrost @15    4 years ago

Best of luck ! Come back safe !

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
15.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  MrFrost @15    4 years ago

I’ll pray for you that all goes well for you and that God will guide the surgeons hands and that He will bring you healing during and after it.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
15.4  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  MrFrost @15    4 years ago

Be well and be safe. Best of wishes.. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
15.5  charger 383  replied to  MrFrost @15    4 years ago

Hope all goes well and a quick recovery

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.6  Gordy327  replied to  MrFrost @15    4 years ago

Good luck MrFrost.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.6.2  Gordy327  replied to  Release The Kraken @15.6.1    4 years ago

No thank you. Prayer is not my style.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
15.6.3  Tacos!  replied to  Gordy327 @15.6.2    4 years ago
Prayer is not my style.

But you believe in luck.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
15.6.4  Gordy327  replied to  Tacos! @15.6.3    4 years ago

No, I don't. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
15.6.5  Tacos!  replied to  Gordy327 @15.6.4    4 years ago
But you believe in luck.
No, I don't. 

You clearly do or you wouldn't have said: 

Good luck MrFrost.

You put your faith in something you probably can't define completely and have no way of proving exists. Yet you made a wish MrFrost should enjoy some "good luck" whatever that is.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
15.6.6  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @15.6.5    4 years ago

There’s no logic or reason in good luck.  That’s strictly an emotional response.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
15.7  Texan1211  replied to  MrFrost @15    4 years ago

[Deleted]

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
15.8  KDMichigan  replied to  MrFrost @15    4 years ago

Maybe President Trump can ad you to his day of prayer.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
15.9  Sparty On  replied to  MrFrost @15    4 years ago

Good luck Frosty ..... good vibes coming from Michigan for a successful surgery.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
16  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

Talk about a prophetic headline.....The author was so right on.  

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
17  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

Stay frosty sir!

devangelical
Professor Principal
18  devangelical    4 years ago

gee, I wonder how many days of prayer it's going to take for trumpski's true believers.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
18.2  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  devangelical @18    4 years ago

"You know, the president has said many times that we are going to we're going to bring the full resources of our of our federal government to bear on this. But by all of you being here today, and by the energies and ministries that you have [used to response] to the coronavirus in your communities, you're really putting hands and feet on your faith. And you are demonstrating what the president today called 'the greatness of American character' ...And we want to urge you on. We want a full partnership with you in sharing best practices again."

Continue to pray, Mike urged, for the experts counseling this president from every branch of government. Remember state and local officials, too, and people who are struggling and experiencing loss. We are so fortunate, Secretary Ben Carson echoed on that same call, that this happened during a time of economic growth and blessing. "God is merciful," Dr. Carson reminded us. "And we will get through this." Maybe, he said, this is an opportunity for the Lord to show His power in a way that will "help us return to Him." In the meantime, he assured, "God still has His hand on this nation. And He has His hand on all of us."  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
18.2.1  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @18.2    4 years ago

God has put Trump in his Presidency for such a moment as this.  We are Grateful for that and pray for many things in our daily prayer lives.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
18.2.2  lady in black  replied to  XXJefferson51 @18.2.1    4 years ago

God doesn't do politics

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
18.2.3  seeder  XXJefferson51  replied to  lady in black @18.2.2    4 years ago

No he doesn’t.  But he does pick individuals to lead to carry out his will for a nation for a point in time.  He appointed Cyrus to free Israel and let them return to Jerusalem over 100 years before he was born and before Israel was taken into captivity to Babylon in the first place.  And when the writings were shown to him after he took Babylon by Daniel he did just that.  

lady in black
Professor Quiet
18.2.4  lady in black  replied to  XXJefferson51 @18.2.3    4 years ago

God in no way, shape or form picked crooked donnie.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
18.2.5  Gordy327  replied to  XXJefferson51 @18.2.1    4 years ago
God has put Trump in his Presidency for such a moment as this.

Then why bother voting? Talk about votes not counting.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
19  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

...Gateway Church pastor Robert Morris shared how to fight off the “depression” inflicted by the devil in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak, stressing that “God is going to get us through this.” 

In a sermon delivered March 21, Morris cited Psalm 42:5, where David says: “Why are you cast down, Oh my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God for I shall yet praise Him for the help of his countenance.” 

“What he’s saying is, ‘This season’s gonna pass. This is just a season. Why are you cast down?’” he explained. 

Another word for “cast down” is “pressed down,” or “depressed,” Morris said. “When you get in your car, you depress the gas pedal or depress the brake. You depress.”

“If you say, ‘I’m depressed,’ or ‘a person has depression,’ here’s what you’re saying, That person is being pushed down,” he continued. “Who is pushing you down? The enemy is pushing you down. And you don’t need to agree with the enemy with your mouth. So don’t be depressed.”

David also uses the word “disquieted,” which in the Hebrew means “growling,” Morris said, adding, “He’s talking to himself saying, ‘Why are you growling?’ Or let me put it another way, ‘Why are you grumbling?’”

“You have to say to your mind: ‘Stop it,’” Morris stressed. “I mean, I had to do it this last week. One morning I just got flooded with fear and think about it: If you have a cough, [you] immediately [think], ‘I must have the coronavirus. I better go get tested.' You can just keep going: 'I've felt a little achy lately.'”

“I’m not saying don’t use wisdom ... if you have any of the symptoms, go get tested,” he added. “I’m just saying, what you know to be true is, we can get depressed, and the enemy gets on top of us and pushes us down and we get more and more depressed and then we start grumbling on the inside. You have to tell your soul, ‘Stop grumbling.’”

“Here’s basically what David said to his soul: “Shut up. Shut up.' Let’s talk about [how] God is going to bring us through this season. God is going to get us through this.”..... 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
20  seeder  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

To all the anti theists out there, can you tell us now this far into the pandemic how you each have been personally harmed by those of us who are believers praying and openly saying that we are doing so during this pandemic?  Explain how our supposed lack of logic and reason has in any way affected you all.