╌>

Republican memo reveals anti-China scheme over COVID-19

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  4 years ago  •  97 comments

By:   No Author Indicated

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Table of contents of "Corona Big Book", a memo distributed by US Senate Republican campaign arm to GOP candidates. [Photo/chinadaily.com.cn]

The US Senate Republican campaign arm distributed a memo to GOP candidates, advising them to address the coronavirus crisis by aggressively attacking China, US political news website Politico revealed.

The 57-page memo, dated April 17, was authored by the political consulting firm of Brett O'Donnell, a veteran Republican strategist who has advised Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton.

The memo provides detailed instructions, including short and expanded versions, for candidates to memorize and use in public.

It contains three main assaults: That China caused the virus "by covering it up", that Democrats are "soft on China" and that Republicans will "push for sanctions on China for its role in spreading this pandemic", Politico summarized.

A screenshot from "Corona Big Book", a memo distributed by US Senate Republican campaign arm to GOP candidates. [Photo/chinadaily.com.cn]

The memo advised candidates to respond by pivoting to China when they are asked whether the spread of the coronavirus is Trump's fault.

"Don't defend Trump, other than the China Travel Ban — attack China," the memo states.

A screenshot from "Corona Big Book", a memo distributed by US Senate Republican campaign arm to GOP candidates. [Photo/chinadaily.com.cn]

If the candidates are questioned for being racist by blaming China and causing racist attacks against Chinese-Americans, they are advised to say it is the fault of the Chinese Communist Party for covering up the virus and lying about it's danger.

Republicans have indicated they plan to make China a centerpiece of the 2020 campaign, the Politico report said, as advisers to the president say polling shows China-focused attacks would be effective.

American netizens expressed their disappointment over Republican politicians on Twitter.

@Jimmy_Royce_T tweeted that "Some American politicians do not care about the life and death of their own citizens, but spend most of their time discrediting China. Nonsense, no comment."

@daily_brenda said: "Always the blame game. Never any leadership. But a love for Power."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

This should be carried by the mainstream media so the American people can see how they are being manipulated by a desperate attempt by the Republicans and Trump to save their asses in November. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

GOP's shameful blame-game playbook cannot help White House to defeat virus: China Daily editorial

chinadaily.com.cn | Updated: 2020-04-26 I
5ea57daca310a8b2fa40b908.jpeg

Photo taken on April 24, 2020 shows the White House in Washington DC, the United States. [Photo/Xinhua]

Whether it has been acted on yet or not, the attacks on China during the COVID-19 pandemic mean the advice offered in the newly leaked 57-page strategy document issued by the National Republican Senatorial Committee comes as no surprise.

Authored by a consulting firm of Republican strategist Brett O'Donnell, the playbook suggests three main lines of assault: That China caused the virus "by covering it up," that the Democrats are "soft on China," and that Republicans will "push for sanctions on China for its role in spreading this pandemic".

Given that O'Donnell has advised US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Arkansas Senator Tom Cotton, who have both dutifully followed the suggested approach of alleging that the novel coronavirus is "a Chinese hit and run followed by a cover-up that cost thousands of lives", how it is to be put into practice has already been demonstrated.

During the 2008 presidential campaign O'Donnell was listed by Time magazine as one of the five most important people not running for president, and he is credited with being one of the best political debate coaches in the country having assisted George W. Bush prepare for the 2004 presidential debates, which it has been said sent Bush into the final stretch of the campaign with a wind at his back.

Thus it can be expected that the GOP's China-bashing will be ramped-up in the coming months as they look to portray the Democrats as being soft on China, and that the line that China is responsible for the pandemic will be pushed in the forthcoming election debates.

Yet the way things are now is not as they were when the Republicans came to power pushing claims that China had long been taking advantage of the United States. Peddle the lie as it might, it is not China that is to blame for the current situation in the US, but the administration's own misjudgments.

While the US is now the country worst hit by the virus because of the administration's floundering and lack of decisive action, Wuhan, which was the front line for the Chinese government's resolute battle against the virus, now has no remaining cases in its hospitals, as a health official told reporters on Sunday.

Despite the US administration's continuous and organized attacks on it, China has never ceased providing assistance to the country. As of last week, China had provided the US with about 2.5 billion face masks, and 5,000 ventilators, making it the largest material supporter of the US in its fight against the virus.

To save lives must be its priority. With one-third of the world's infections and one-fourth of the world's deaths caused by the virus being recorded on US soil, those advisers, who feel no qualms about earning money from trying to keep the US administration in its comfort zone, should be ashamed that they are in effect taking blood money.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
2.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    4 years ago
Peddle the lie as it might, it is not China that is to blame for the current situation in the US, but the administration's own misjudgments.

biden was one of the career politicians who sold us out to china. 

and now you think we will elect biden to make the same so-called misjudgments again?   

too funny :)

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @2.1    4 years ago

"you" get one vote,

"you" do not get to speak for anyone else.

too funny

Only time will tell.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
2.1.2  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.1    4 years ago
"you" do not get to speak for anyone else.

I'm not speaking "for them" as much as I know what they will say.

biden can't win.  the left better find another rabbit to pull out of their hat.

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.3  evilone  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @2.1.2    4 years ago
biden can't win

Not according to new polls. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
2.1.4  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  evilone @2.1.3    4 years ago
Not according to new polls. 

how did those polls work out in 2016  ??

LOL

evilone
Professor Guide
2.1.5  evilone  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @2.1.4    4 years ago
how did those polls work out in 2016  ??

The polls in 2016 were within the +- 4% margin of error that all polls post at. I even talked about it online at the time on the old NV site. Clinton was trending down for weeks because she didn't spend any time in states like WI & MI. After Comey's announcement that line nosedived. But we aren't talking about Clinton or 2016 now are we? Biden is more popular among several demographics than Clinton and could get a boost from his VP pick. Now Trump has advertisements bashing him run by other conservatives on Fox News during his favorite morning programming. That can't be helpful. LOL!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  evilone @2.1.5    4 years ago

Blah, blah, blah ..... Clinton was up nearly 10 points in most polls this time in 2016.

Trump had no chance then either.    Lots of time left and how quickly some forget.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

They should also make ending our dependency on China's manufacturing sector a priority in the upcoming election. It's time we stop throwing our wealth away for the benefit of the evil communists. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
4.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Dean Moriarty @4    4 years ago
They should also make ending our dependency on China's manufacturing sector a priority in the upcoming election.

im sure we can count on that as a given.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    4 years ago

This is like the coyote crying wolf as it’s the one eating your chickens.

Sorry Buzz, even if this is real, China has absolutely no high ground when it comes to spewing propaganda.

None at all ......

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @5    4 years ago

And the conservatives on NT can follow the Republican playbook in order to deflect from Trump's incompetence by pointing fingers and blaming and misinforming and misleading and creating as much xenophobia and racial hatred as they want and let's see how that plays out in November.  My training and lifetime profession demanded that I be capable of seeing both sides of a story instead of ignorantly knowing and wanting to know only one, and I'm not sorry if I differ from others around here.  

Let's be clear about something.  All I have been doing is presenting the other side of the story.  Even though I'm not and have never been a Communist I neither fear nor hate them.  

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
5.2.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2    4 years ago

fear communists?  not a chance.

hate communists? with a passion,

All I have been doing is presenting the other side of the story

[removed]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @5.2.1    4 years ago

LOL.  I don't support the CCP, I am a Canadian citizen and I have supported the Canadian and Ontario Conservative parties for more than 40 years. All I have done is open up NT's eyes and anyone else that opens this site that there is a second side to every story, right or wrong. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
5.2.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.2    4 years ago
[removed]

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2    4 years ago

And let me very be clear.    

While I lean conservative I have never been a member of any political party and I likely never will be.    My party is American for which I am unflaggingly and unapologically proud to be.    Unlike you I am free to say what I want without fear of reprisal from my government.    Although I’m sure more than a few here wish they could do something about that.

That said all I’m pointing out are the facts of the matter.   For example.    We don’t steal Chinese intellectual information.    We don’t need to.    China does.     I could go on but I fear it falls on deaf ears

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2.5  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @5.2.4    4 years ago

First off, I believe you. Congrats on the no party thing.

Second though, not one country is innocent. To act like China is the only country to have ever stolen or tried to steal technology is false itself. It happens all the time in countries all over the world. There is espionage, spy games and the like that go on every day, be it China, Russia, or even the USA.

There is also corporate espionage and theft that goes on.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.6  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Ender @5.2.5    4 years ago

America has no standing to say it does not and never spied on China - a number of years ago someone made a mistake and about 18 American spies were caught in China.  I'm sure the CIA is being a lot more careful now, but I'm not so ignorant to think there are no American spies in China. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.7  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.6    4 years ago

I never said the USA didn’t spy on China.    I said we have no need to steal China’s intellectual property.     China aggressively steals ours.    They have had to to catch up.    That can not be denied.

I’m not the one in denial here Buzz.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.8  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @5.2.7    4 years ago

Yoiu're right, I wrongly equated spying with using another's inventions.  By the way, have you ever used a fork, a compass, lit off fireworks for your kids, flown a kite, etc etc etc?

Ender
Professor Principal
5.2.9  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.8    4 years ago

People forget too that after WW2 that the US and Russia basically took German scientists.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.10  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.8    4 years ago

Lol .... really?    You’re trying too compare those with China’s very active intellectual espionage program today?    Hilarious!

Thanks for the Thai Chi though.   Do we owe you something for it?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.11  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @5.2.10    4 years ago

Tai Ji, and should I send you bank transfer info or do you prefer to mail a certified cheque?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.8    4 years ago

Eaten spaghetti?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.13  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.2.12    4 years ago

Marco Polo ate noodles when he was in China and took the idea back to Italy, and voila, spaghetti was born.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.2.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.13    4 years ago

I knew that! I actually like Chinese noodles that we get here in the States. I'm sure they're nothing like you get there.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
5.2.15  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.2.13    4 years ago

"Incredibly, the emergence of Italian pasta occurred in total isolation from China. Before Marco Polo left for his China expedition in 1292, Italy had discovered the culinary delights of pasta centuries earlier. The Arab geographer Idrisi described the pasta he encountered in Sicily in 1154 as made from flour and formed into long strings [source: Needham and Wang ]. By the Mi­ddle Ages, Sicily and Sardinia had developed pasta trades as well."

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2.16  Sparty On  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.2.15    4 years ago

Doh!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.2.18  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.2.15    4 years ago

Thanks for that info, Dean. It does correct what I had previously learned. 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
6  Gazoo    4 years ago

I had no idea china was the innocent sacrifice in all this. Those evil republicans must be stopped! /s/

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
6.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Gazoo @6    4 years ago
Those evil republicans must be stopped! /s/

those evil republicans have taken over the uk,  japan and other countries as well... LOL

Gazoo
Junior Silent
6.1.1  Gazoo  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @6.1    4 years ago

Uh oh, i feel another pity party coming on,,,,,ohh those poor globalists.😂

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
6.1.2  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.1    4 years ago

before trump was even sworn in I told everyone that every globalist entity and lackey was going to be destroyed or made irrelevant.

• icc
  • wto
  • un
  • cfr
  • and now the who

its been fun :)

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @6.1.2    4 years ago
6.1.2  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  Gazoo @6.1.1    2 hours ago

before trump was even sworn in I told everyone that every globalist entity and lackey was going to be destroyed or made irrelevant.

• icc
  • wto
  • un
  • cfr
  • and now the who

its been fun

Another candidate for the "most stupid comment" hall of Fame?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
6.1.4  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.3    4 years ago
Another candidate for the "most stupid comment" hall of Fame?

I accept your submission.... and you win.

cheers :)

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.5  XXJefferson51  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @6.1    4 years ago

And Australia, New Zealand, Canada, India, Italy, Germany and more...

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6.1.6  XXJefferson51  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @6.1.4    4 years ago

You beat me to it!  Oh well...

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.7  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.3    4 years ago

most stupid comment" hall of Fame

They had to build a new wing for all of Trump's stupid comments.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.8  Split Personality  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.7    4 years ago

Bush's area is now the rest rooms....

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
6.1.9  Ronin2  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.8    4 years ago

Don't sell Obama, or any other President short when it comes to stupid comments.

Biden gets elected they will have to erect a whole new building just for him.

Presidents saying stupid things is not restricted to any one party.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.10  Split Personality  replied to  Ronin2 @6.1.9    4 years ago

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.11  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Split Personality @6.1.8    4 years ago

Which Bush?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.1.12  Split Personality  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.11    4 years ago

Jr, the Air national guard nemesis.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

So far none of the Trump supporters have said that the O'Donnell Republican playbook is a Chinese fiction, so I suppose they cannot deny it exists, and it's pretty obvious from verifiable sources (like Forbes) that it is being followed.  I see nothing wrong with posting China's take on it.  Both Sides Now!!! (Thanks to Joni Mitchell for that line) 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    4 years ago

I know it's not fiction. I've been hearing Senator Tom Cotton say these things (he's one of my senators, but hopefully not for long)

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1    4 years ago

Just until he becomes our President.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1.1    4 years ago

jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

He's not particularly loved in Arkansas

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
7.2  livefreeordie  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7    4 years ago

I not only agree with the book, but I accuse anyone who sides with China as being an enemy of the US.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.2.1  pat wilson  replied to  livefreeordie @7.2    4 years ago

So you won't use products imported rom China, right ? Like the cell phone or computer you're using right now ? Or possibly your TV, furniture, radio and maybe your shoes ? And you certainly don't eat Chinese food, right?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  livefreeordie @7.2    4 years ago

As I have criticized China when they are wrong (for example, on this site, about the silencing the whistleblowers, delaying the provision of information, and permitting travel when the virus was already happening), and have citicized those who make ignorant or false claims about China that are NOT TRUE which means there are times when I "side with China", you can report me to Homeland Security and add my name to the NO FLY LIST, and I really don't give a shit because I have no intention of going to the USA, if for no other reason, I don't have a gun.  

I do not just make ignorant, racist, small-brained one sided only believers, accusatory comments like some on this site, not mentioning names. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
7.2.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  pat wilson @7.2.1    4 years ago

Don't bet on it, Pat, he could not possibly exist without using Chinese produced items or at least parts in many of his possessions.  And if that is so, there is a name for such a person.  People who are as vehement as he is usually have an ancestor they do not want to talk about - sort of like the Nazi who has a Jewish grandmother.  But in this case, a Chinese one,

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.2.4  pat wilson  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.2.3    4 years ago

So much stupidity !

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
7.2.5  livefreeordie  replied to  pat wilson @7.2.1    4 years ago

I try to avoid Chinese products as much as possible.

I eat only a Carnivore diet which i prepare myself. I don't go out to eat.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
7.2.6  livefreeordie  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @7.2.3    4 years ago

Nonsense. I base my views on having lived in Asia and experienced the Chinese bigotry against the rest of mankind.  And it takes real ignorance not to know the Communist Chinese blatant attempts at world domination

Add to that how they PURPOSELY spread the virus sending out 10s of thousands to the US and across the globe after the Wuhan Virus began.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  livefreeordie @7.2.6    4 years ago

Speaking of real ignorance . . . where you been LFOD?

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
7.2.8  livefreeordie  replied to  Tessylo @7.2.7    4 years ago

Very busy.  started a new company called Old Hippys (had to go with ys because they wanted 30k to sell the oldhippies domain name).

Producing Essential Oil products including pain management, soaps, candles, body spray. Plus designing and producing T-Shirts (I previously owned a silk screen company in the 70s).

Was growing well until the shelter in place.  Craft fairs especially were successful

Plus I own a tax and accounting business that is busier than ever.  Now have clients in 9 states.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8  Sparty On    4 years ago

This will not end well for China.    No amount of propaganda or disinformation will stop it.    It’s just too big.

Next up, China’s real Covid19 numbers will be proven to be MUCH, MUCH, higher than they have admitted.    And those who defended them will be eating very cold crow.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
9  JohnRussell    4 years ago

I think I understand politics quite well.  For years we have heard criticism of China, particularly related to trade, but very little about "communism" as it pertains to the Chinese. Now lo and behold we are in the election season and Trump wants to claim Democrats are socialists or communists and all of a sudden every time someone on the right mentions China we are hearing "Chinese communists". That is also the plan behind this RNC memo.  They want to somehow tie the Democrats and Biden to the spread of the virus from China. 

Its absurd, but its pretty much all trump has going for him at this point. 

freepress
Freshman Silent
10  freepress    4 years ago

Except when the un-elected First Daughter gets China trademarks or when Trump praised China response in recorded interviews and on twitter. He goes out and says what his base wants to hear, also goes out and reverses position. Always hoping no one is watching the shell game con going on. His followers can't follow all of it and he knows they only catch snippets and will cling to whatever he says that matches their own narrative. They never catch on that tariffs are costs passed on to them. So Trump knows that and still goes out over and over and over again repeating a lie that the base believes.