╌>

Trump ignored repeated virus warnings in Jan. and Feb.: US media

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  4 years ago  •  44 comments

By:   msn news - No Author Indicated

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

US President Donald Trump addresses a coronavirus response news conference in the Rose Garden at the White House in Washington, US, April 27, 2020. Carlos Barria/Reuters

President Donald Trump was repeatedly warned about the dangers of the coronavirus in January and February, US media said.

The warnings were made in “more than a dozen classified briefings” known as the President's Daily Brief, The Washington Post reported late Monday.

Trump is under fire for publicly downplaying the threat of the pandemic when it broke out in the US in late February, and his handling of the COVID-19 crisis.

The Post said the president had received multiple heads-up about the looming catastrophe as the coronavirus started to spread, but failed to mobilize for a major pandemic.

Officials told the Post that Trump often does not read the briefings and bristles at having to listen to oral summaries.

For weeks, the president’s Daily Briefs traced the spread of the virus and mentioned the frightful political and economic consequences, The Washington Post said.

Trump claimed in late February that coronavirus cases would soon “be down to close to zero,” and did not declare a national emergency over the pandemic until the end of March, as virus cases were on the rise in New York and the stock market nosedived.

The US president’s disregard for the intelligence community’s warnings has now resulted in tens of thousands of American deaths, a battered economy, nationwide lockdowns and overwhelmed hospitals.

Senior US intelligence officials told TIME in 2019 that Trump often has a “stubborn disregard for their assessments” when presented with their analyses, particularly when it comes to anything that goes against his existing beliefs.

US virus cases nearing one million

The US recorded 1,303 more virus deaths in the 24 hours to late Monday, with confirmed cases nearing one million, according to figures reported by the Johns Hopkins University.

The country now has an overall death toll of 56,144, with 987,022 infections. At least 111,109 people have recovered.

As states of Colorado, Minnesota, Mississippi and Tennessee were among the latest states to ease pandemic shutdowns, governor of New York, America's coronavirus epicenter, signaled that even limited restarting of business activities was at least weeks away as hospitalization rates are still high.

New York recorded more than 17,300 COVID-19 deaths out of almost 292,000 confirmed infections as of early Tuesday morning.

Trump, who is seeking reelection in November, said he expected to see US schools reopen before the end of the school year, “even if it's for a very short time.”

Business shutdowns have led to a record 26.5 million Americans losing their jobs since mid-March, with the Trump administration projecting that the jobless rate will likely hit 16% or more in April.

Almost a third of all US adults have already reported seeing their jobs or finances diminished by the coronavirus, according to a Gallup survey released on Monday.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

Let me make it perfectly clear that I do not deny China's cover-ups and delays concerning the virus, but on the other hand, people in glass houses should not throw stones (unless, of course, it is meant to deflect blame to another in order to not affect Trump's chances for reelection).  

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    4 years ago

Yea, so many crying about China's higherarchy Lying, all while

WE have the LIAR in Chief, screaming at what's

up chuck,    besides more than throw in up

hands ,\down 

the biggliest  

GOOD GRIEF 

Charlie Brown,

what the Hell is up with the Lying Orange Clown...grabbin Snoopy's bitch, like it's just another scratch to itch, rattin out his cronies cause he's the loan ranger, he;ll never pay back, or interest in/on.

He has allowed, in real hoax life time, the death of perfectly avoidable American citizens, ALL due to his obsession with his power, and re-election campain N sufferin inflicted upon US citizens, that he prefers divided, while his parents should have never had permission to multiply, cause, what a guy.

What a Dick

such an embarrassment 

unstable NOT Genius 

but,

how bout that hair... ?

or

how bout if f'n Trump gave a care

about more than hair, and heir, and Air..

cause, he has sucked it out of ventilators, while never venting

the hollow cranium that used to house a garage door opener that would never close, till closing  was opened

to new idear ?

bugsy
Professor Participates
1.1.1  bugsy  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.1    4 years ago

under the renbow

gibbity gertity

hollerin at the mowntan

goats

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

About PressTV

Press TV takes revolutionary steps as the first Iranian international news network, broadcasting in English on a round-the-clock basis.

Our global Tehran-based headquarters is staffed with outstanding Iranian and foreign media professionals.

Press TV is extensively networked with bureaus located in the world's most strategic cities.

VISION

Heeding the often neglected voices and perspectives of a great portion of the world;

Embracing and building bridges of cultural understanding;

Encouraging human beings of different nationalities, races and creeds to identify with one another;

Bringing to light untold and overlooked stories of individuals who have experienced the vitality and versatility of political and cultural divides firsthand.

Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:

www.presstv.ir

www.presstv.co.uk

www.presstv.tv  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    4 years ago

Iranian media via msn.  

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.2  bugsy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.1    4 years ago

All left wing propaganda.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    4 years ago

Wow. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sean Treacy @2.2    4 years ago

And now he doubles down on far left media sites willingly consuming Chinese Communist Party propaganda kool aid s “news”. I’ve seeded Australian, United Kingdom, Canadian media sources here critical of how the communists in China acted. So the rest of the English speaking democracies where individual liberty, economic liberty, religious liberty, and the franchise rule are standing behind the United States and against China.  Democracy, voting, free expression, capitalism, and individual rights are the sworn enemy of the communist state. India and the EU are also critical of China.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.2.1    4 years ago

At least I'm not so ignorant or dishonest as to deny China's role in the spread of the virus.  I don't think the same can be said for those who deny Trump's culpability as so clearly pointed out in the seed article, and the links to the others I have posted above. 

GregTx
PhD Guide
2.2.3  GregTx  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.2.2    4 years ago

And yet you have.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.2.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  GregTx @2.2.3    4 years ago

Show me where I did.  But you've got the right idea, go after me, rather than a concept or a principle or a generalized group.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.3  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2    4 years ago

So when one cannot disagree with or attack the topic, attack the source - the next best way to deny. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.3.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.3    4 years ago

[Deleted]

[Buzz is not the topic here]

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    4 years ago
Trump claimed in late February that coronavirus cases would soon “be down to close to zero,”

Because that's what people assumed, or at least hoped. They didn't realize there was community spread happening anywhere in America until February 26. At the time, Nancy Pelosi and others were encouraging people to go out and live life normally, interacting with people.

Travel restrictions from China, intended to limit the spread of the disease, were effective February 2. And while they weren't total, they were the most restrictive such restriction in about 50 years. The restrictions were in line with expert recommendations.

and did not declare a national emergency over the pandemic until the end of March

Well, that's kind of a lie and pretty easy to check. First of all, Trump's Department of Health and Human Services declared a Public Health Emergency on January 31. Trump, himself, declared a national emergency on March 13. I don't think any reasonable person would call that the "end of March."

as virus cases were on the rise in New York

The first case in NY wasn't even identified until March 1. On March 2, the mayor told people to ignore the virus and go on with their lives. On March 3, the city Commissioner of Health said the same thing.

There is a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking going on with this pandemic. Acting like everyone saw this coming in January or February and only Trump blew it off is just telling lies.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @3    4 years ago

That is the Chinese communist party position.  Cover up, lie, rinse, repeat.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1    4 years ago

Tacos laid out a well written scenario of what happened and you reply with "cover up, lie, rinse, and repeat"? Why don't you actually comment on what Tacos actually said? He didn't say one goddamned word about the Chinese and their involvement

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Tacos! @3    4 years ago

There is a lot of Monday morning quarterbacking going on with this pandemic. Acting like everyone saw this coming in January or February and only Trump blew it off is just telling lies.

only play Monday mornin quarter back up front, a third of the time,  Wednesday mourning

i was a fullback   of BBQ  rib rack when i looked back at pandemic

Well yes, many DID WARN of a quite possible pandemic, back in January and or February

one might have possibly glanced at China, then Europe.

"and only Trump blew it off is just telling lies."

F Trump, could bother to have someone read to him the warnings that \it is reported were explained to him at intelligence briefings, but Trump preferred to not heed or b\e\lieve , as he consistently proves he doesn't

doesn't even attempt 

to LEARN, then,

to accuse others 

of telling lies in a potential death sentence sentence

is quite the irony 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @3    4 years ago
Because that's what people assumed, or at least hoped.

Then WHY did US Senators start selling stocks after the Jan. 24th Senate briefing? Sure as hell doesn't look like they were told to 'assume' that there was even a 'hope' that is was just going to blow over or magically disappear. In Sen. Kelly Loeffler's case, she started to sell THAT DAY. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.3.1  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @3.3    4 years ago
Then WHY did US Senators start selling stocks after the Jan. 24th Senate briefing?

I don’t know. Why does the phone always ring when you’re in the shower?

If you have a point of your own to make, why don’t you make it instead of asking questions that have nothing to do with anything I said and expecting me to make your point for you?

bugsy
Professor Participates
3.3.2  bugsy  replied to  Tacos! @3.3.1    4 years ago

Because the radical playbook says to argue something your opponent never said.The funny thing is they usually lose that argument, too.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.3  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @3.3.1    4 years ago
If you have a point of your own to make, why don’t you make it instead of asking questions that have nothing to do with anything I said and expecting me to make your point for you?

Your inability to see a connection is on you. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3.3.4  Tacos!  replied to  Dulay @3.3.3    4 years ago
Your inability to see a connection. 

What connection?

is on you

No it actually isn’t. I am not responsible for your inability to communicate. I’m not surprised you want to blame the emptiness of your comments on me, though.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.5  Dulay  replied to  Tacos! @3.3.4    4 years ago
What connection? No it actually isn’t. I am not responsible for your inability to communicate. I’m not surprised you want to blame the emptiness of your comments on me, though.

I communicated my point just fine. You just refuse to accept that your claim that 'people assumed or at least hoped' that the 'coronavirus cases would soon “be down to close to zero' is belied by the FACT that our IC were briefing the Senate and the Administration in JANUARY that it a pandemic was eminent and that there is overwhelming evidence that Senators took personal financial actions based on those JANUARY briefings and that Trump's actions were and have continued to be too little, too late. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

Perspective from China’s neighbor....

Get all the latest news on coronavirus and more delivered daily to your inbox. Sign up here.

Nearly 50 years ago, President Richard Nixon made history when he became the first American president to visit the People’s Republic of China. His visit in February of 1972 would be known as “the week that changed the world” because it allowed the emergence of China into the world’s economy after being a social pariah for a quarter of a century.

“The question is whether we, with different philosophies, but both with feet on the ground, and having come from the people, can make a breakthrough that will serve not just China and America, but the whole world in the years ahead,” Nixon said to Chairman Mao Zedong at his Peking residence during their first-ever meeting.

The idea was that as China opened to the United States, both nations not only would prosper economically, but China’s totalitarian ideology and structures would be reformed as it came in contact with Western democracy. Of course, we know what happened with the economic aspect. In a few decades, China became the world’s second-largest economy and a major military power. Now, China is using that freedom to validate the worst of its historic instincts.

SEN. COTTON, REP. CRENSHAW: CORONAVIRUS HAS DESTROYED COUNTLESS LIVES — HERE'S HOW TO MAKE CHINA PAY

The prosperity that made China an economic superpower in some ways had the opposite effect on individual rights and democratic reform as it helped its leaders tighten their grip on the Chinese people. The world’s willingness to turn a blind eye to China’s human rights abuses in order to profit from Chinese businesses and investments only made matters worse.

Under President Xi Jinping, who in 2018 essentially made himself ruler for life, China now has one of the most repressive regimes in the world. The PRC has brutalized its citizens and minorities and clamped down on civil rights, such as freedom of speech and religious liberty, making it one of the few nations that can nearly cut off its entire population from the rest of the world at a time when we have never been more connected. Even as the COVID-19 pandemic spreads across the world, millions of Uighur Muslims continue to suffer imprisonment in “re-education” camps.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE OPINION NEWSLETTER

Now the world is paying a hefty price for giving China a free pass on its human rights offenses. It’s precisely because of China’s disregard for freedom of speech that hundreds of millions of people will suffer for decades because of the COVID-19 pandemic. The coronavirus may have originated in one of China’s wet markets — or even a test lab in Wuhan as some reports suggest — but it became a global pandemic because of the CCP’s interference.

Freedom of speech is more than simply the right of expression or conscience. It includes the right to dissent and to publicize information that is critical for citizens to know. A totalitarian regime that guards information or disseminates disinformation can cause untold harm to millions.

If China cherished a free press and freedom of information, this is what could have happened: At the first notice of the outbreak of the virus — which may have been as early as November 2019 — China would have raised a global alert based on the early reports of the medical personnel in Wuhan instead of trying to cover the emergence of the virus. China also would have taken early proactive steps to stop travel through Wuhan and in and out of mainland China.

Moreover, China would have welcomed the help of the United Nations, the World Health Organization and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control to investigate the virus’ mechanism of action, setting in motion the process to find a vaccine so citizens around the world could be protected before it eventually reached their nations’ shores.

Instead, there’s ample evidence that China engaged in a campaign of misinformation and coverups — misleading governments, slandering whistleblowers and waiting to act until it was too late. The Chinese Communist Party also disappeared a business tycoon who dared criticize the government and other medical professionals and scientists whose oath demanded they raise their voice against the coverup.

“What brings us together is a recognition ... on our part that what is important is not a nation’s internal political philosophy. What is important is its policy toward the rest of the world and toward us,” Nixon said to Mao toward the end of their meeting.

Seeing what is happening today in the world because of China’s illiberal political philosophy, I cannot help but disagree with Nixon.

The United States and its democratic allies should reverse Nixon’s great experiment, and either demand China change or allow her to succumb to her own devices.

As a citizen of the world’s largest democracy — India, where hundreds of millions of people will suffer economically and physically because of COVID-19 — I have seen how freedom of information and speech are essential not only for a free, prosperous society but for the national and health security of the world. As China’s democratic neighbor to the south, we watch with alarm as the global system has continued to allow China to do what it wants in order to lie, cheat and steal its way into the rarified air of our world’s few but powerful superpowers.

Enough is enough. The United States and its democratic allies should reverse Nixon’s great experiment, and either demand China change or allow her to succumb to her own devices.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Going forward, no major global economy should be allowed to be integrated with the rest of the world while it continues to violate the fundamental rights of its citizens.

The alternative isn’t just death to Western democracies, but the lives of millions of everyday people, across the world.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE FROM JOSEPH D'SOUZA

Most Rev. Joseph D’Souza is a Christian theologian, author and human and civil rights activist. He is the founder of Dignity Freedom Network, an organization that advocates for and delivers humanitarian aid to the marginalized and outcastes of South Asia. He is archbishop of the Anglican Good Shepherd Church of India and serves as the president of the All India Christian Council.  

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
5  Transyferous Rex    4 years ago

Lots of talk about ignored info. No talk of how anything Trump did, or did not do, would have had an impact. Shit, if we are going to promote New York's numbers, why isn't a portion of this article dedicated to De Blasio's tweet, in March, encouraging people to go out on the town? I'll answer that. Because it wasn't Trump. 

The only thing that would have possibly had an impact is an immediate and complete shut down...in January. That wasn't going to happen. 

Governor Cuomo: Yes - that is not going to happen, shelter in place, for New York City. For any city or county to take an emergency action, the State has to approve it. And I wouldn't approve shelter in place. That scares people, right? Quarantine in place - you can't leave your home. The fear, the panic is a bigger problem than the virus.

Cuomo mid-March. 

Cuomo, March 1 tweet. "The general risk remains low in New York." Apparently not.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1  Tacos!  replied to  Transyferous Rex @5    4 years ago
No talk of how anything Trump did, or did not do, would have had an impact.

There is, but it’s all wild claims rooted in politics and they can’t possibly be proven one way or the other.

Transyferous Rex
Freshman Quiet
5.1.1  Transyferous Rex  replied to  Tacos! @5.1    4 years ago
can’t possibly be proven one way or the other.

The best kind of claim for politicians.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
6  XXJefferson51    4 years ago

Cruz says coronavirus pandemic shows China is greatest geopolitical threat to US

Andrew O'Reilly10 mins ago

Get all the latest news on coronavirus and more delivered daily to your inbox. Sign up here.

Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, argued Sunday that the United States needs to reassess its relationship with China in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic

Cruz, who was interviewed on “Sunday Morning Futures,” called China the greatest geopolitical threat to the United States.

“The most important long-term, national-security-informed policy consequence of this coronavirus pandemic is going to be a fundamental reassessment of the United States’ relationship with China,” Cruz said. “China is the most significant geopolitical threat to the United States for the next century.”

TIMELINE OF CHINA'S POSSIBLE CORONAVIRUS COVER-UP

Cruz added: “If you look at the pandemic itself, the communist government in China bears enormous responsibility, enormous direct culpability for this pandemic. We know they covered it up. We know that when heroic whistleblower doctors tried to draw attention to it last December, the Chinese government shut them up and punished them.”

The Republican lawmaker’s comments came the same day that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told ABC News’ “This Week” there was “enormous evidence” that the novel coronavirus originated in a lab in the central Chinese city of Wuhan.

The Office of the Director of National Intelligence confirmed for the first time last Thursday that the U.S. intelligence community has been investigating whether the coronavirus outbreak, which has wreaked havoc across the globe, started as the result of an accident at the Wuhan laboratory.

Fox News first reported earlier this month that there has been increasing confidence that the outbreak likely escaped from the lab, not as a bioweapon but as part of a Chinese effort to show that its efforts to identify and combat viruses are equal or greater than those of the U.S. This would be at odds with claims the outbreak originated at a wet market nearby.

A research dossier compiled by the so-called “Five Eyes” intelligence alliance, which reportedly concluded China intentionally hid or destroyed evidence of the coronavirus pandemic, was consistent with U.S. findings about the origins of the outbreak so far, senior U.S. officials told Fox News on Saturday.

A senior intelligence source told Fox News most, as many as 70-75 percent, of the 17 U.S. intelligence agencies have believed it came from a laboratory, but the remaining agencies could not yet agree as there was no “smoking gun.”

CLICK HERE FOR COMPLETE CORONAVIRUS COVERAGE

The source said the agencies have come down to two potential origins for the accident -- animal-human transmission, or a mistake in the lab, but there was evidence of both options with most leaning toward the laboratory explanation -- although both scenarios would be attributable to mistakes.

Meanwhile, no public evidence has yet been presented to point definitively to the lab scenario, and defense sources who have spoken to Fox News said it was being viewed as simply one of two theories about how the outbreak began.

Fox News’ Adam Shaw and Fox BusinessMaria Bartiromo contributed to this report.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  Tessylo  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6    4 years ago

Who cares what Cruz says?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  XXJefferson51 @6    4 years ago

If it comes from Fox, best to second and third source it for factual statements.  I suggest the BBC, and Reuters as a starting point...

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7  pat wilson    4 years ago

Ya, cuz everyone looks to Ted Cruz for leadership, lol !

And can't you take a minute to clean up your C/P's ? It's not that hard.