Canada expected to announce ban on assault-style weapons

Category:  World News

Via:  buzz-of-the-orient  •  4 years ago  •  62 comments

By:   JOHN BOWDEN

Too late for 22 innocent victims

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

semiautomaticassaultrifles_getty_010119.

© Getty Images

Canada's government is set to announce a ban on assault-style weapons following a deadly shooting in Nova Scotia this month that killed 22 people.

Officials told The Associated Press  on Wednesday that Prime Minister   Justin Trudeau 's administration will announce the ban before the week's end, though the key provisions have already been decided by his Cabinet.

Among the weapons set to be banned include the AR-15 and the Ruger Mini-14. It wasn't initially clear whether Canadian citizens who currently own such weapons will be required to turn them in.

After a deadly shooting in New Zealand, officials banned assault-style weapons and instituted a buyback program.

Trudeau's Liberal Party pledged to enact an assault-style weapons ban in last year's election campaign, at the time pledging to implement a similar buyback program. 

The move comes after a gunman killed 22 people, including a police officer, during a rampage through the rural province of Nova Scotia while driving a car meant to look like a Royal Canadian Mounted Police cruiser. The suspected gunman, 51-year-old Gabriel Wortman, was killed by police.

Authorities say Wortman used a number of weapons in the attack and have not released details about them. However, Wortman was known to have been carrying at least two semi-automatic rifles, according to the AP.

“I can say that we were on the verge of introducing legislation to ban assault-style weapons across this country,” Trudeau said after the shooting. “It was interrupted when the pandemic caused Parliament to be suspended, but we have every intention of moving forward on that measure, and potentially other measures, when Parliament returns."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

CANADA - Strict gun controls, Universal single-payer healthcare, Women's free choice for abortions, Glitch free paper ballot voting, No frivolous lawsuits or contingent legal fees, Ice wine, Butter tarts and Nanaimo bars, Tim Hortons, Canadian bacon - a country where common sense prevails.

I am proud to be a Canadian, a citizenship I will never give up no matter where in the world I live. 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.2  Gazoo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    4 years ago

“I am proud to be a Canadian,”

just a heads up, Buzz. Some on the left would classify that as being a nationalist.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gazoo @1.2    4 years ago

Maybe it's better to say that I'm HAPPY to be a Canadian, or even LUCKY to be a Canadian.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.2.2  Gazoo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.1    4 years ago

There is nothing wrong with saying you’re proud to be Canadian. There is nothing wrong with you putting Canada first or wanting the best for Canada. That is how it should be. 👍

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    4 years ago
I am proud to be a Canadian,

That’s great.    

I used to enjoy hunting and fishing in Canada but in the last decade or so it got to be a hassle and isn’t worth it.    Americans regularly get hassled at the border.    I know I have and Canada hasn’t gotten a penny from me or mine in over a decade.

[deleted]

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
1.3.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Sparty On @1.3    4 years ago

ever use pepper on em' ?

I used to date this one young lady, man, what's with the Hot Pepper cravings, that shit could burn.

there was another, who i enjoyed peppering with assaulty balls, so i required her to wear a padded chin strap.

only been to Niagra Falls, where,

'Slowly i stepped...' but didn't Falls over

too much, a few times. used to date a girl that worked for a shuttle service, and Buffalo was free. Went 4 times.

Pretty cool place.

hav friends that would bear hunt there,

i prefer hunting with close

minded people

say the darnest things!

They spoke highly of it,

but,

i'm guessin it was cause they were high

society minded individuals that when swimming,

pooled into a group

of 'bo legged women

and swim between their legs'

shaken not stirred

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.2  Sparty On  replied to  igknorantzrulz @1.3.1    4 years ago

Canuter valve

Modulus of elasticity

dV/dt

Pork bellies 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.3.3  Larry Hampton  replied to  Sparty On @1.3    4 years ago

Weird. I live an hour from the Minnesota - Canadian border. It is NOT well known that Americans are given a hard time at the border. That is simply ridiculous. Myself, nor anybody I know get hassled when going fishing up there. What sorta stuff did you try and pull to get hassled at the border?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.3.3    4 years ago
"What sorta stuff did you try and pull to get hassled at the border?"

I'll bet it was smart-ass "superiority complex" stuff rerplied to customs and Immigration officers who questioned them. 

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
1.3.5  Larry Hampton  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.4    4 years ago

Oh yeah lol, border security just love the jokers /s/.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.6  Sparty On  replied to  Larry Hampton @1.3.3    4 years ago

Not weird at all.    

The second to last time I went on a whitetail hunt in Manitoba we brought out own guns like several times before.  Mostly bolt action rifles but one semi auto.    They pulled us over and proceeded to take our vehicles apart.    They went through everything, checked all ID’s.    Having been there numerous times before, we had been reasonably checked but nothing like that.    this time they went nuts.    When we got to camp and told our fitter what happened he wasn’t surprised and said that was happening regularly all of a sudden.    So much so he was looking into purchasing his own rifles for customers to use.    He did.

So, thinking that solved the issue for the next trip two years later, we didn’t bring any weapons and planned to use his.   Didn’t matter, got pulled over again and they proceeded to take our vehicles apart again.

Absolutely ridiculous so we never went back.    No reason to pay good money to get hassled by those border pricks.   None at all.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.7  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.4    4 years ago

Nope, not even close Buzz.    Just a few power hungry Canadian border agents that didn’t like Americans.

But thanks for the completely uniformed insult just the same.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.8  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @1.3.7    4 years ago

You expect Canadians to love America when your dear leader bullies Canada's PM into giving up NAFTA benefits to Canadians?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.3.9  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.8    4 years ago

Lol .... dear leader?    Your TDS is showing Buzz.    

That said, I could care less what Canadians think considering the shitbirds they choose to have manning their borders.    

I already made that perfectly clear with the post you likely reported.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.3.10  Gazoo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.8    4 years ago

“bullies Canada's PM into giving up NAFTA benefits to Canadians?”

I wouldn’t call it bullying. Nafta was unfair to American workers and president Trump was determined to do something about it. It was either a new deal, or no deal. I applaud Trump for that. As an American i expect our elected officials to put Americans and America first. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.11  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gazoo @1.3.10    4 years ago

And as a Canadian, I don't.  His Tarriff war made things more expensive for me - I live on a pension and increased costs are not appreciated.  His racist comments anger me - I am married to a Chinese woman and I have always been treated well and respected by the Chinese people.  He has endangered the Chinese people in America and his example has made the Chinese people around the world prone to being harrassed and attacked and I wouldn't be surprised, killed.  The people are not guilty of what their government may have done but they are suffering for it, and Trump's putting America first takes a toll on others. Proof that he doesn't give a shit about the impoverished or more primitive people around the world is defunding the WHO.  

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
1.3.12  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.11    4 years ago

There has been a significant decrease in value of the Canadian dollar vs the US dollar since long before Trump took office. Things cost you more because your government is doing such a bad job your currency has lost its purchasing power.

I wouldn’t blame Trump if I failed to do a good job of planning for my own retirement. 

squiggy
Junior Silent
1.3.13  squiggy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.11    4 years ago
His Tarriff war made things more expensive for me - I live on a pension

So, you've had a windfall at the expense of the American worker and you're pissed it's over?

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.3.14  Gazoo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.11    4 years ago

“Trump's putting America first takes a toll on others. Proof that he doesn't give a shit about the impoverished or more primitive people around the world is defunding the WHO.”

geuss what? President Trump was elected by Americans, paid by Americans (though he gives his salary to charity) to work for Americans best interests. 

you saying what you just said is as stupid as me saying “i hate that soft little manboy trudeau, or jinpinpingpong because those racist bastards are not working in my best interests. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.15  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gazoo @1.3.14    4 years ago

Since your sentiments are most likely with those who are protesting the lockdown, I suggest you keep your mouth and nose covered with a very effective mask and stay away from other people, for your own health of course, Mr. America. 

What would you say is your golden calf POTUS's most important intention?

• The health and safety of the American people.
  • Blaming China, making sure America will never be deposed as "Number One". 
  • Ensuring his own reelection.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.3.16  Gazoo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.15    4 years ago

Ok, so you can’t refute anything i said which is simple logic.

Maybe you meant this as a subtle insult, i don’t know and won’t pretend to know your intentions, but i’d rather be called Mr. America than Mr. Canada, and especially Mr. China. Stay safe, Buzz.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
1.3.17  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  squiggy @1.3.13    4 years ago
So, you've had a windfall at the expense of the American worker and you're pissed it's over?

a lot of people / countries got used to cheap crap at our expense. even some americans.

they will be mad about losing that for a while.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.18  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  squiggy @1.3.13    4 years ago

A windfall?  LOL.  What windfall?  I live a simple life on my income, I don't exceed it and in fact do without many of the luxuries I had when I was in Canada.  A windfall?  jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.19  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gazoo @1.3.16    4 years ago

And you can't answer my question honestly because you know damn well what it would have to be. 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
1.3.20  Gazoo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.3.19    4 years ago

I’d be glad to answer if we were having a discussion, but you don’t seem interested. 

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
1.4  Freefaller  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    4 years ago

That was a sad day for Canada, it's no conciliation to friends and family but the shooter got what he deserved in the end

Lol you forgot Maple Syrup, or even better Maple Syrup Bacon

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.4.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Freefaller @1.4    4 years ago

I thought of maple syrup, but I know there's also Vermont maple syrup, so it isn't necessarily just Canadian - but even if there are Tim Horton's stores in the USA, it's as Canadian as the Maple Leafs he used to play for. 

squiggy
Junior Silent
2  squiggy    4 years ago

They bag a helluva peat moss, too.

Gazoo
Junior Silent
3  Gazoo    4 years ago

Damn! I just had a revelation. Why don’t we implement a ban on nasty drugs like meth, coke, and heroin? That will surely put an end to their use, saving many lives in the process.

But seriously, is trudeau going to go all the way with this and ban cars that are meant to look like royal canadian mounted police cars as well?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    4 years ago
Canada's government is set to announce a ban on assault-style weapons following a deadly shooting in Nova Scotia this month that killed 22 people.

Um. Why?

From what I read, he didn’t kill them all in one place or all with a gun, for that matter. He had handguns and long guns. It took him something like 16 hours to complete his shooting spree, which also included something like 16 crime scenes and 9 fires. He also acquired the weapons he had illegally.

How is this ban a response to what this guy actually did?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 years ago

It doesn't matter, and you sound like his lawyer.  The weapons ban was a campaign promise and was delayed being put into effect by the virus outbreak.  It probably wouldn't have served the purpose of stopping him from doing it even if were already a law on the books.  Maybe it will prevent some such attacks happening in the future. 

squiggy
Junior Silent
4.1.1  squiggy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    4 years ago

Canada should get Peterbilts off the road too, before one goes the length of Toronto, down the sidewalk.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1    4 years ago
you sound like his lawyer

How do you figure? I have not defended anything the guy did. I want to know how the government action is a logical response to the crime. Your comment has no logical connection to anything I wrote.

Maybe it will prevent some such attacks happening in the future. 

How? Nothing about his attacks was facilitated by the use of so-called "assault style" weapons. He could have done it with any firearm. And by the way, any firearm he would have had in his possession would already have been a violation of law.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.3  Snuffy  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.2    4 years ago

It's sad, guns are just too political.  Rather than dig to find the root cause, too many people want to blame the gun and come out with bans on guns basically based on what they look like.

Seems like common sense to me, if you want to reduce gun crime you must eliminate ALL guns.  and good luck with that...

Maybe someday they will actually decide to find out why some people go off their rocker and commit murder. Maybe then they will find a common issue to work with rather than just jumping at a solution that appeals to part of their political base.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.4  Tacos!  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.3    4 years ago

Apparently 9 of his victims died because he lit their houses or cars on fire? No legislation to outlaw fire, though. Weird.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.5  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  squiggy @4.1.1    4 years ago
"Canada should get Peterbilts off the road too, before one goes the length of Toronto, down the sidewalk."

Although that remark about the guy who drove a truck down a sidewalk and killed and maimed a lot of people means fuck all to you, to me it sent a shiver up my spine.  My office for quite a few years was right there on that street, on that corner, and I walked almost every day exactly where he killed people.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.6  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.3    4 years ago
"Seems like common sense to me, if you want to reduce gun crime you must eliminate ALL guns.  and good luck with that..."

I now live in such a country, and it works.

Snuffy
Professor Participates
4.1.7  Snuffy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.6    4 years ago

Yes it does. However I'm not sure China is the best example in this case. China's very strict laws on gun control have been in place almost since the formation of the People's Republic of China. While there is some private ownership of guns it is very tightly regulated. And in the case of China you have a government, with guns, who enforce their strict gun control laws with lethal force. So you have had two to three generations of people growing up with these laws already existing. Not quite the same as western democracies I think  you would agree.

Perhaps a better example would be Australia. After the Port Arthur incident Australia the government developed and passed uniform state gun laws that banned rapid-fire guns from civilian ownership except under certain, restricted licenses, and established a government buyback of semi-automatic and pump-action rifles and shotguns.  It also set that all guns must be registered. And this resulted in reducing gun ownership by only 20%. I've heard recent estimates that put private gun ownership back to levels much higher than before these gun laws were put into effect.

I think this shows that unless the state is willing to harshly enforce gun laws the results will not reduce the potential for gun violence by any meaningful measure. Australia has not had a mass shooting event since these laws were put into effect but the numbers on gun crime seem to be growing. How New Zealand's new gun laws work out will take time to measure. But I think it's difficult for any western democracy to implement and maintain these types of laws over generations of people in order to change mindsets.

so I go back to my original statement.  If you want to reduce gun crime you must eliminate all guns. And that will be very difficult in any western democracy.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.8  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Snuffy @4.1.7    4 years ago

Excellent comment.  Yes, I've said before that it's much too late for America to gain control of guns.  The people there would be better off if guns were distributed to every adult over 10 years old. (The NRA's pipe dream). 

squiggy
Junior Silent
4.1.9  squiggy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.6    4 years ago
I now live in such a country, and it works.

Well, you can't prove it by citing Google.

squiggy
Junior Silent
4.1.10  squiggy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.6    4 years ago

what-china-is-like.jpg

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5  Sparty On    4 years ago

Yawn .... nothing new from a country that already has overly aggressive gun controls

Move along .... nothing to see here ....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @5    4 years ago

Yeah, this article has really become nothing more but fodder for those whose 2nd most important love of their life is a warm gun. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    4 years ago

Nice job Buzz.    Possible one of the most ignorant comments I’ve ever seen here.     Your understanding of responsible gun owners in the US is clearly sophomoric at best.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Sparty On  replied to    4 years ago

Yup, too bad that’s the route being taken.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.4  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @5.1.1    4 years ago

Oh, I just look at the news of daily gun murders and world gun death statistics to realize just how important guns are to Americans. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1.5  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to    4 years ago

look-whos-talking-545b84712b3a8.jpg

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.4    4 years ago

Maybe we should take a page out of the Chinese playbook and set up some re-education camps for gun owners.    That would fix us Chinese style eh?   Or we could take another page and just make them disappear.

China is a joke when it comes to freedoms and civil liberties but hey, you say they aren’t bothering you so who cares right?

squiggy
Junior Silent
5.1.7  squiggy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1    4 years ago
whose 2nd most important love of their life is a warm gun.

Actually, you've brought up how effective border controls and law enforcement are - where foreigners are harassed enough, they cease entry.

squiggy
Junior Silent
5.1.8  squiggy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.1.4    4 years ago

do-you-have-a-history.jpg

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
6  Larry Hampton    4 years ago

Justin has bigger cajones than most American politicians. 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
6.1  Gazoo  replied to  Larry Hampton @6    4 years ago

It take big cajones to create a black market for an item? Because that is what will happen. Anybody that wants one will be able to get one, just like with drugs, just like with alcohol during prohibition.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
6.2  KDMichigan  replied to  Larry Hampton @6    4 years ago

When did he grow his cajones? Was this before or after the numerous times he paraded around in blackface?

He ever tried that shit in sagnasty or Flint town he wouldn't be some left wing PM now, He would probably be feeding worms.

FYI I think you mean Bolas, that means Balls, bigger drawers makes no sense.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
6.2.1  Larry Hampton  replied to  KDMichigan @6.2    4 years ago

————————-

Melania thinks so too!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.2  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Larry Hampton @6.2.1    4 years ago

I thought it was Ivanka who ogled him in a meeting. 

1566796048-Justin-Trudeau-Ivanka-Trump.j

A little secret - his father tried to hit on my daughter at a cocktail party in Westmount (Montreal) without success.  I was there and saw it happen.  She was a McGill student at the time.

Larry Hampton
Professor Participates
6.2.3  Larry Hampton  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.2    4 years ago

I see an Ivanka/Trudeau/Melania Saturday Night Live Skit!

squiggy
Junior Silent
6.2.4  squiggy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.2    4 years ago

cffa9517bcd51f870b280884014bf4a9.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6.2.5  seeder  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  squiggy @6.2.4    4 years ago

I cannot open your post, and since I cannot moderate it, I have asked for it to be deleted.

squiggy
Junior Silent
6.2.6  squiggy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6.2.5    4 years ago

16729294_10158363646025151_1236738666086602153_n.jpghttps://brumnyc.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/16729294_10158363646025151_1236738666086602153_n-300x178.jpg 300w" sizes="(max-width: 708px) 100vw, 708px" >