╌>

Are We Headed For 100,000 Coronavirus Deaths After All?

Category:  Op/Ed

By:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  200 comments

Are We Headed For 100,000 Coronavirus Deaths After All?
Yesterday 30,458 new cases were confirmed.  Applying the .058 rate to the number of new cases, we can see that yesterdays new cases will most likely turn into 1,767 additional deaths U.S. coronavirus deaths.  

I don't often do it but I looked at the coronavirus scorecard this morning

As of 9:45 am cdt , May1, there are 1,096,268 confirmed coronavirus cases in the US. Of these 63,766 have died , and this indicates a US coronavirus death rate of  .058, or not quite 6%.

Yesterday 30,458 new cases were confirmed.  Applying the .058 rate to the number of new cases, we can see that yesterdays new cases will most likely turn into 1,767 additional U.S. coronavirus deaths.  

To get to 100,000 deaths , at that rate, it will take until May 21.  If the rate per day goes up it will take less time, and if the rate goes down (most likely) it will take longer.  There were 30,000 new cases in the US confirmed yesterday. That doesnt strike me as part of a scenario where this "goes away" during the month of May. 

Trump started to take the virus seriously when he was told there would be between 100,000 and 200,000 US deaths from the coronavirus. That was at the beginning of April, and corresponds to the point when he admitted the country could not "open" by Easter, and the "shut down" federal guidelines were extended until May 1. 

Now it is May 1, and Trump is doing his best to declare it is all over, and all thats left is 'embers'. 

When we hit that 100,000 mark, will he have any regrets about how he handled this whole thing? 

-

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago
 There were 30,000 new cases in the US confirmed yesterday. That doesnt strike me as part of a scenario where this "goes away" during the month of May. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
2  bugsy    4 years ago

It will never go away, not in terms of never returning, but it will go away in terms of being a pandemic or epidemic.

I remember Dr Birx saying something a few weeks ago that we will probably hit over 100,000 deaths, but that will be over 2020, 2021 and 2121, Don't know why 100 years from now, but it may mean something about the likelihood of a hundred year pandemic.

The president is doing a great job considering what he was given. If China and WHO had been truthful in their initial reporting, no country would be seeing the numbers they are.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @2    4 years ago

Unless a serious drop in cases happens pretty soon, we will hit 100,000 dead long before 2021. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.1.1  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    4 years ago

Then some states like New York, New Jersey, Illinois, California, Pennsylvania and Michigan need to stay closed for a little while longer. Not the entire state, but the bigger cities where the majority of these cases are coming from.

Florida is opening Monday at 25 percent capacity with gyms, salons, barbers and the like staying closed. In addition, the biggest hot spots, Miami, Broward and Palm Beach will remain fully closed for a while longer. This is how it should be done.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    4 years ago

"Despite the fact most media are reporting coronavirus that has killed more than 67,000 Americans, the official Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website shows nearly have as many deaths.

But  according to the official CDC website , just 37,308 people have died from the disease in the United States.

5eade98b4f211.jpg

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.6  Tessylo  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.4    4 years ago

Who is 'they'?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
2.1.7  TᵢG  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.4    4 years ago

Certainly possible.   What evidence do you have to support your claim?

Thomas
Senior Guide
2.1.11  Thomas  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.3    4 years ago

Also from the CDC site, Right above the Chart:

It is important to note that it can take several weeks for death records to be submitted to National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS), processed, coded, and tabulated. Therefore, the data shown on this page may be incomplete, and will likely not include all deaths that occurred during a given time period, especially for the more recent time periods. Death counts for earlier weeks are continually revised and may increase or decrease as new and updated death certificate data are received from the states by NCHS. COVID-19 death counts shown here may differ from other published sources, as data currently are lagged by an average of 1–2 weeks.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.12  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.1.8    4 years ago

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.13  Vic Eldred  replied to  Thomas @2.1.11    4 years ago

Assuming there is no pressuring of doctors to list Coronavirus as the cause of death simply because somebody who was run over by a bus or had advanced stages of cancer happened to be infected.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.14  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.13    4 years ago

Who would be 'pressuring' these doctors pray tell?

jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Tessylo  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.1.8    4 years ago
They? The several whistleblower frontline Dr's being forced to blame a stroke on covid, the funeral directors, and stunned family members.

Right, I'm sure that's happening everywhere.  jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.16  Tessylo  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.10    4 years ago

'We are receiving reports from Doctors on the front lines being pressured to inflate Covid related death stats.

Really have to wonder about that sort of thing.'

We?

Citations?

Really have to wonder who would believe such nonsense.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.18  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.14    4 years ago
Who would be 'pressuring' these doctors pray tell?

I'm always happy to help:

"When Drs. Dan Erickson and Dr. Artin Massihi of Accelerated Urgent Care held a press conference last week, their goal was to galvanize policymakers to reopen the economy.

The California-based hospital owners may have uncorked a bigger story.

During   their long discussion with reporters , Dr. Erickson noted he has spoken to numerous physicians who say they are being pressured to add COVID-19 to death certificates and diagnostic lists—even when the novel coronavirus appears to have no relation to the victim’s cause of death.

“They say, ‘You know, it’s interesting. When I’m writing up my death report I’m being pressured to add Covid,’” Erickson said. “Why is that? Why are we being pressured to add Covid? To maybe increase the numbers, and make it look a little bit worse than it is?”

The longtime ER doctors, who had their video  removed  from YouTube after the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) and the American Academy of Emergency Medicine (AAEM) jointly condemned their briefing, aren’t the only ones to say COVID-19 is being classified uniquely. (There’s reason to question some of the snap conclusions the physicians reached in their briefing, but YouTube’s decision to ban them is absurd, if  predictable .) 

Earlier this month, Illinois’s top health official explained that any victim diagnosed with the novel coronavirus would be classified as a COVID-19 death—regardless of whether it contributed to the patient’s death.

“If you died of a clear alternate cause, but you had Covid at the same time, it’s still listed as a Covid death,” Dr. Ngozi Ezike, the director of Illinois's Department of Public Health,   explained   to reporters."

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.19  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.18    4 years ago

What a shame that some folks, like this 'president' and his administration value money over human life.  Sad.  Deplorable.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.20  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.19    4 years ago

I backed up what I said. You responded by smearing the President. In that case you shouldn't be asking anyone to prove anything.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.21  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.20    4 years ago

No smear, truth.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.22  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.21    4 years ago

A "no value" smear!   

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.24  Tessylo  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.23    4 years ago

No doctors are being pressured to lie.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.25  Tessylo  replied to  Release The Kraken @2.1.17    4 years ago

If you believe nonsense.  

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.26  Vic Eldred  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.23    4 years ago

A search for truth?  It's so necessary, isn't it?  These days we can't accept that anything will be reported accurately.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.28  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.26    4 years ago
A search for truth?  It's so necessary, isn't it?  These days we can't accept that anything will be reported accurately.

True, starting with the article, presumably from FEE which states that they are hospital owners.

Wrong, they operate four or five nice "urgent care " clinics.

Thomas
Senior Guide
2.1.29  Thomas  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.18    4 years ago

According to several reports I have heard, the rate of cases of younger and otherwise healthy individuals having strokes or heart complications has increased since the beginning of the epidemic, which would lead me to think that there may be a direct relation between the two.

From the Washington Post:

Young and middle-aged people, barely sick with covid-19, are dying of strokes

Doctors sound alarm about patients in their 30s and 40s left debilitated or dead. Some didn’t even know they were infected.
Thomas Oxley wasn’t even on call the day he received the page to come to Mount Sinai Beth Israel Hospital in Manhattan. There weren’t enough doctors to treat all the emergency stroke patients, and he was needed in the operating room.
The patient’s chart appeared unremarkable at first glance. He took no medications and had no history of chronic conditions. He had been feeling fine, hanging out at home during the lockdown like the rest of the country, when suddenly, he had trouble talking and moving the right side of his body. Imaging showed a large blockage on the left side of his head......

...As Oxley, an interventional neurologist, began the procedure to remove the clot, he observed something he had never seen before. On the monitors, the brain typically shows up as a tangle of black squiggles — “like a can of spaghetti,” he said — that provide a map of blood vessels. A clot shows up as a blank spot. As he used a needlelike device to pull out the clot, he saw new clots forming in real-time around it.

Another way of looking at the numbers would be to compare the normal amount of people who would normally die vs. the number of people dying now. Link   

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.30  Vic Eldred  replied to  Thomas @2.1.29    4 years ago

We will one day look back at the reports & projections and say they had no idea what they were dealing with.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.32  Vic Eldred  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @2.1.31    4 years ago

The model has been consistently wrong!

Yet we keep hearing about it:

EXM_62gXQAA75O6?format=png&name=small

So after months of lockdowns deaths will spike?????

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  bugsy @2    4 years ago
The president is doing a great job considering what he was given.

Huh?

If China and WHO had been truthful in their initial reporting, no country would be seeing the numbers they are.

He'd been aware of it since early to mid January.  He, and his team, had been briefed on pandemics as far back as 2017.  No amount of earlier reporting would have made a difference, since all reports were ignored or downplayed until it was too late.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    4 years ago

Like these guys did?......................

President Xi Jinping warned the public on Jan. 20 – nearly a week after Chinese officials had privately determined on Jan. 14 that the virus had evolved into a pandemic, the Associated Press reported, citing expert estimates based on infection data.   During those crucial days, more than 3,000 people came down with the coronavirus, as tens of thousands of people attended a mass banquet in Wuhan, the epicenter of the virus, and millions of Chinese began traveling for Lunar New Year celebrations.

Could have nipped the lightning speed spreading virus much earlier and shut down. Six Days with unrestricted travel aided and abetted the virus's spread. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.1    4 years ago

I  don't disagree with you that China handled this badly especially that mass banquet.

But can we both agree that trmp and Xi Ping both fouled up?

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.3  bugsy  replied to  Ozzwald @2.2    4 years ago
Huh?

Hearing impaired?

Maybe you should forward your whine to Pelosi, Cuomo and DeBlaso, who told their citizens and tourists to go out, enjoy the cities, all as late as March 3, over a month after Trump took his first action by closing most air travel to and from China.

Also during this time, many governors already took the steps to close different areas as to not spread the virus in their states. Some did better than others. .

Guess what? They did, and in doing so, those that went out and about spread the disease to other New Yorkers, New Jersey and San Francisco residents, while the tourists returned home and spread it in their communities.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.2    4 years ago

To an extent I suppose so. But the exponential growth from those six days was the major screw up and it was green flag time for the virus to travel the world. That's why Italy was hit so hard to an extent. Chinese workers returning to work in the garment industry. Had China been more responsible, we more than likely wouldn't see the magnitude we are at present.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.4    4 years ago

I believe China was on lockdown and nobody was working.

Those 6 days were very critical but when the first reported case was diagnosed here in the USA that's when the White House needed to get its act together. Assess the situation, prepare a plan, and get that plan into action. He pooh poohed COVID-19 for over a month before he instituted any kind of guidelines and don't tell me he didn't

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.6  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.5    4 years ago
I believe China was on lockdown and nobody was working.

I believe only Wuhan province was locked down from the rest of the China, but that province's citizens were still free to travel to other countries.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.7  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.2    4 years ago

This is not complicated. Many, although not all, Trump supporters are part of a cult of personality worship. Because they cant see the truth about Trump, they transfer ALL of the blame to China. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.9  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.5    4 years ago
He pooh poohed COVID-19 for over a month before he instituted any kind of guidelines and don't tell me he didn't

In public yes he did. At the same time, I don't believe any of us commoners here at NT actually know what went on behind closed doors. While I think I know in his heart of hearts he didn't want to believe it, he also was trying to avert a mass panic. Not the best strategy by any means but understandable to a small extent.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.10  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.7    4 years ago

I notice you like to use this as a part of your Trump supporter slam alot, but in reality, you believe all Trump supporters are what you say some are, don't you?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.11  author  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @2.2.10    4 years ago

Perrie is a good friend of mine. In order to comply with Newstalkers standards I have to , well, comply with Newstalkers standards. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.12  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.7    4 years ago
they transfer ALL of the blame to China. 

Then maybe China should have been truthful very early what this virus can do. They told WHO there is no human to human transfer....WHO bowed and transmitted that message to the rest of the world.

China IS to blame.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.13  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.7    4 years ago
Trump supporters are part of a cult of personality worship. Because they cant see the truth about Trump, they transfer ALL of the blame to China. 

Bullshit JR. Where did it start again? Chinese Origin Viral Infectous Disease 19

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.14  author  JohnRussell  replied to    4 years ago
How about giving us detailed timeline of what he did or didn't do

Do you know how to google or bing?  Dont ask people to do what you are unwilling to do yourself. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.15  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.13    4 years ago

If the next town over from you is on fire, and it seems to be headed in the direction of your town, when your town catches fire is your mayor off the hook for waiting too long to act simply because the fire started in another town? 

That doesnt sound logical. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.16  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.15    4 years ago

Apples and spare tires JR. Try harder. What would the mayor do about a fire? Warn people what they were already well aware of?

SMH

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.2.17  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.16    4 years ago

Maybe the analogy escaped you. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.18  Split Personality  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.13    4 years ago

Come on Jim, don't spread BS like that.

In COVID-19, 'CO' stands for 'corona,' 'VI' for 'virus,' and 'D' for disease. Formerly, this disease was referred to as “2019 novel coronavirus” or “2019-nCoV”. There are many types of human coronaviruses including some that commonly cause mild upper-respiratory tract illnesses. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html#:~:text=In%20COVID%2D19%2C,%2Drespiratory%20tract%20illnesses .

is the CDC in cahoots with the Chinese too?

Pandemics happen. We cannot stop them, never had, we can only react, treat and hope for better meds and a virus.

Bashing China, bats, the UN or anyone else doesn't move us forward, it holds us back.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.19  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.18    4 years ago

If fact is bashing then so be it. And the reference I made was one definition of the acronym and NOT one recognized by anyone. Just showing a different perspective.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.20  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @2.2.17    4 years ago

Maybe it did. Please let me know what you think the mayor's responsibility was. Everyone leave? The damage would still be done. Saved lives but didn't put the fire out. In your scenario, there would be those who would wait until the last minute. Always is............like..........hmmmm..........last minute.........after the damage was imminent. 

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.2.21  Snuffy  replied to  bugsy @2.2.6    4 years ago
I believe only Wuhan province was locked down from the rest of the China, but that province's citizens were still free to travel to other countries.

And they didn't lock down Wuhan until Jan 23rd

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.22  bugsy  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.18    4 years ago
Bashing China, bats, the UN or anyone else doesn't move us forward, it holds us back.

Maybe, but then you would agree that bashing Trump for something he had very little control over is also holding us back, right?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.23  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.19    4 years ago

That's not fact. It's incorrect and SP told you what the true meaning of the acronym is. Your definition is not the correct one, it's totally wrong

You're spreading false information around

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.24  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.23    4 years ago

So then you agree that TDS means "Trump Derangement Syndrome" and not the myriad of other BS libs on here try and make it mean, right?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.25  Split Personality  replied to  bugsy @2.2.22    4 years ago

He could have treated it much more seriously much earlier.

I will say that with his personality, I believe the experts tried not to offend him or make him look bad, now he is blaming them.

My pet peeves with the whole mess are his taunting and trying to intimidate people with Tweets.

The Fed should be hands off, period. He badgered them into two rate cuts, the second announced in a cowardly way on a Sunday which kicked the stock market in the stomach the next day.

Secondly, he could have ( should have) handled the pandemic exactly as his predecessors have.  Again, not possible because of his need for attention and inability to follow precedent, especially Obama precedent.

Shutting down the country was not the answer.  Now blaming people on a partisan basis is just stupid.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.26  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @2.2.24    4 years ago

If you can find me a well respected dictionary or source that defines TDS then yes, I will agree with you

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.27  bugsy  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.25    4 years ago
He could have treated it much more seriously much earlier.

He could have but he was only going on the information China, WHO, and probably because of the first two, CDC was giving him. No one person would have doubted any of these agencies at the time.

As far as handling the pandemic as his predecessors did, no other president in modern times has had something at this magnitude happen to them.

Both SARS and H1N1 were as easily transmitted from human to human as this virus is, but, nowhere near as deadly. That had nothing to do with presidential reaction.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.28  sandy-2021492  replied to  bugsy @2.2.24    4 years ago

Were you granted authority to ascribe meaning to the acronym?

No?

Then it can mean anything anyone wants it to mean.

You could have done the same with ODS or HDS, but you didn't come up with it in time.  Feel free to do so now, but know that you'll have reused somebody else's idea twice, and that it's a bit late in the game.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.29  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.26    4 years ago
If you can find me a well respected dictionary or source that defines TDS then yes, I will agree with you

In the DSM V. I'm sorry, but the moment you put they word syndrome into it, it becomes either a medical or psychological disease, which of course it is not. It is a term used to annoy, almost as abused as Nazi is. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.30  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @2.2.6    4 years ago

It was the Hubei Province. Wuhan is a city in China. So I was incorrect. I thought they had locked down the entire country

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.31  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.29    4 years ago

Thank-you. The DSM V is a well respected source. It's found in every psychiatrist/psychologist's office and probably more than just a few family practice doctors' offices.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.32  bugsy  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.28    4 years ago
Then it can mean anything anyone wants it to mean.

No....It means "Trump Derangement Syndrome"

Nothing else....no matter what libs say...or what sky they scream at.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.33  sandy-2021492  replied to  bugsy @2.2.32    4 years ago

Sez you, with really nothing but your own assertions to back you up.  And they don't count any more than anybody else's assertions, no matter what you say or what sky you scream at.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.34  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  bugsy @2.2.32    4 years ago

Bugsy,

It is a made-up term. It is not a real condition, no matter what any conservative says or what they scream at. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.35  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @2.2.32    4 years ago

[Deleted]

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.36  bugsy  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.33    4 years ago
And they don't count any more than anybody else's assertions, no matter what you say or what sky you scream at.

So you know what opinion means. Good for you.

I heard the term ODS several times over the years of the previous president, whom we are not able to say his name on here. I never heard you come on here and say what you are saying to me here today.

BTW...conservatives do not scream at the sky, however, we have plenty of video of libs doing just that.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.37  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @2.2.32    4 years ago

p.s.

I see you couldn't find a respectable source that defines the term.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.38  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.35    4 years ago
we just overlook your comments when you use that term

Kinda don't care...but you're excused.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.39  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.37    4 years ago
I see you couldn't find a respectable source that defines the term.

Do you have one that identifies ODS?

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.40  bugsy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.34    4 years ago

2.2.36 applies to you too.

Enjoy

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.41  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @2.2.36    4 years ago
I heard the term ODS several times over the years of the previous president, whom we are not able to say his name on here. I never heard you come on here and say what you are saying to me here today.

Why would she? Or me? We knew it was a made up term and had no meaning except to us. You all would have been better served if you had just ignored us.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.42  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.26    4 years ago

Urban dictionary has a dozen variations.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.43  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @2.2.38    4 years ago

oh, you care especially if you're one of those that doesn't want an echo chamber

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.44  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @2.2.39    4 years ago

deflection? Is that how you answer a question?

But to answer yours, no, I don't. You should have already read my other comment so I don't believe I need to explain any further

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.45  Split Personality  replied to  bugsy @2.2.39    4 years ago

Operational Data Store?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.46  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @2.2.36    4 years ago
conservatives do not scream at the sky

No they scream at cops in front of State Houses

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.47  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.41    4 years ago
We knew it was a made up term and had no meaning except to us.

And TDS has no meaning other than what we know it as.

I can assure you that we ignored the term ODS, but it just seems the left gets very, very triggered when they just see these three little letters together.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.48  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.46    4 years ago

Like the same liberals have...

1st Amendment

BTW...it's better to just yell at cops than to destroy public and private property and assault people all in the name of someone the left has a disagreement with.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.49  sandy-2021492  replied to  bugsy @2.2.36    4 years ago
So you know what opinion means.

Of course I do.  But insisting that you have the single correct definition of "TDS" indicates that you may not.

the previous president, whom we are not able to say his name on here

Bull.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.50  sandy-2021492  replied to  bugsy @2.2.47    4 years ago

In your OPINION.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.51  sandy-2021492  replied to  bugsy @2.2.48    4 years ago
it's better to just yell at cops than to destroy public and private property and assault people

That would have been excellent advice in Charlottesville.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.52  Trout Giggles  replied to  bugsy @2.2.47    4 years ago

ok, bugsy, whatever floats your boat. I can't influence your thinking and I'm not even gonna try

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.53  bugsy  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.50    4 years ago

Noooooowww you're learning...

jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.54  bugsy  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.51    4 years ago

sure woulda

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.2.55  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  bugsy @2.2.36    4 years ago
I heard the term ODS several times over the years of the previous president, whom we are not able to say his name on here.

What are you talking about? This site bad mouths Obama on a daily basis and he's not even the president anymore. And I have never heard the term ODS before, but had I, my reaction would be the same. 

Here is my point, that these terms are meant to annoy and not have a discussion, which is the point of this site. 

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.56  bugsy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.55    4 years ago
What are you talking about? This site bad mouths Obama on a daily basis and he's not even the president anymore. And I have never heard the term ODS before, but had I, my reaction would be the same.

And to mention his name brings out the left's screech that we must have ODS, so excuse me if I say BS to your claim that you have never heard the term.

As far as it being a term to annoy, maybe so, but no other ideology has ever reacted to just the name of any current or past president being mentioned the way the left has the past almost 4 years.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.57  sandy-2021492  replied to  bugsy @2.2.53    4 years ago
Noooooowww you're learning...

I already knew.  And I'm not the one insisting that my chosen extended form of an acronym is the only one.  That would be you.  Several times.

jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif back atcha.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.58  bugsy  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.57    4 years ago
That would be you.  Several times.

So?
jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif Like I said...my opinion

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.2.59  sandy-2021492  replied to  bugsy @2.2.58    4 years ago

I don't see the words "in my opinion" in that declaration.  I do see the word "know", which does not carry the connotation of "opinion", but of "fact" (however unsupported).

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.60  bugsy  replied to  sandy-2021492 @2.2.59    4 years ago
other than what we know it as.

O   P    I   N   I   O  N

Just stop. You're just digging now.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.61  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.23    4 years ago
You're spreading false information around

Did you not see this at 2.2.19

And the reference I made was one definition of the acronym and NOT one recognized by anyone.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.62  bugsy  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.61    4 years ago

You know the ol' liberal playbook chapter

"How to argue something your opponent never said".

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.63  Split Personality  replied to  bugsy @2.2.27    4 years ago
no other president in modern times has had something at this magnitude happen to them. Both SARS and H1N1 were as easily transmitted from human to human as this virus is, but, nowhere near as deadly.

Define modern times.  The 1918 H1N1 flu killed 10% of humanity worldwide

Did Woodrow Wilson shut down the economy? No.

The Army had 63,000 field casualties in Europe from the flu.

Followed up by an addition 600,000 casualties stateside probably spread by returning soldiers.

How it is handled has everything to do with presidential actions and reactions.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.2.64  Tacos!  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.2.34    4 years ago
It is a made-up term

All terms are made up. They mean what people say they mean. All we are really talking about is bias, and pretending it doesn't exist is delusional.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.66  bugsy  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.63    4 years ago

I'm speaking more in the term\s of the past 50 years.

It has been proven that the H1N1 and SARS were both contagious, but nowhere near as deadly.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.67  Split Personality  replied to  dennis smith @2.2.65    4 years ago

Dennis, voted up, with the caveat that none of the sites involved, NT, NV, NBC or Comcast bad mouthed anyone.

Individual members and visitors, citizens, ex pats and Canadians, Brits, Aussies and a few Israeli's have all taken turns badmouthing Presidents, ideologies, other peeople, hell, you name it, they have probably done it, within the framework of the CoC & ToS.

It just goes on and on fueled IMO by both Dems, Repubs and the Media. 

And until people change, it will continue.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.68  Split Personality  replied to  bugsy @2.2.66    4 years ago
It has been proven that the H1N1 and SARS were both contagious, but nowhere near as deadly.

No, it has been proven that the 2009 version of H1N1 was the same strain as 1918 which killed between 50 to 100 million people.

The difference in how deadly they were is actually the result of modern medicine, and vaccines produced for H2N2, a variant of H1N1 that struck in 1957-58 and again in 1968-69 a new varient called H3N2

H2N2 killed between 70,000 and 116,000 Americans, 2 to 4 million worldwide.

H3N2 killed at least 100,000 Americans, almost all older than 65, 25 to 50 million worldwide.

In both the 57 & 68 pandemics, the  second waves were far deadlier than the first wave.

H1N1 &  H3N2 are still with us as the Seasonal Influenza A virus, still undergoing antigenetic drift.

In 57-58 did Eisenhower shut down the economy? No.

(Everyone's mindset was probably different having lived through dyptheria, polio, WWII and Korea )

In 68-69  did Lyndon Johnson shut us down? No. It was just a bad year for the seasonal flu.

(They didn't even realize that the virus was being spread by military members returning from Vietnam.)

Virus pandemics were and still are regularly occurring events that we need to learn from.

They return every 10 to 40 years.

I'll stop here.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2.2.70  bugsy  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.68    4 years ago

Thanks for that. I didn't know. But it has to be understood that there was a vaccine, or a version of a vaccine for H1N1 which limited the death rate in this country.

Trump did not have the same when it comes to this virus, hence the far more deaths.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.71  Split Personality  replied to  bugsy @2.2.70    4 years ago
Trump did not have the same when it comes to this virus, hence the far more deaths.

Come on, mannn....

Read what I wrote.  Prior versions off all of these viruses killed many more people except 2009-10 H1N1,

for which we had hind sight and several vaccines in the pipeline.

As a country we took our lumps in 1918-19, 1957-58 and 1968-69 because they had no defense except to put their heads down and plow ahead trusting fate, nature or God.

In 2009 they had tissue samples from 1918 ( imagine that) and "partially tested vaccines" for H1N1 and H2N2 and H3N2 underway.  They had a reliable vaccine in 6 months.

This pandemic is barely 90 days old depending om where you want to arbitrarily establish a 'start date'.

The University of Baylor said it had a viable amount of vaccine available for testing in February and they were apparently ignored.

Now there are 102 vaccines competing for US Federal funding for trials.

Gilead's remesdivir cuts cure time by 31%, no negative side effects.

Moderna's artificial RNA therapy was given to dozens of people who tested positive for COVID19

March 2 and none of them developed symptoms so far.  Luck or success?

The point is that we no longer live in the 50s or 60s and get news by black & white TV , or Time magazine.

Like it or not no matter how old we are, we have fallen "victim" to the instant gratification of the internet.

The last three Administrations realized that and doled out information sparingly.

Sorry, there is no such instant gratification from an Administration which believed it was cutting costs by

eliminating the pandemic response team from the NSA and throwing out the playbook as a useless guide

for an improbable scenario.

They may be doing the best they can under the circumstances, that much is arguable.

But the initial premise that no modern President has faced such a health crisis is just not correct.

History, so far, has minimized the role of the Presidents in all of the previous pandemics.

This President, the first to shut down the number one economy in the world, will probably be judged harshly.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2.72  Ozzwald  replied to  bugsy @2.2.3    4 years ago
Hearing impaired?

I think you're confused, I'm reading this, not listening....

Please list the steps Trump took that you think were done correctly.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    4 years ago

On March 16th, British “experts” at Imperial College in Great Britain warned of 40,000,000 global coronavirus deaths if the West did not act and shut down society. The prediction included  1 million to 2 million deaths in the US. "

The New York Times quickly ran the hot news about this new COVID-19 estimate:
The report, which warned that an uncontrolled spread of the disease could cause as many as 510,000 deaths in Britain, triggered a sudden shift in the government’s comparatively relaxed response to the virus. American officials said the report, which projected up to 2.2 million deaths in the United States from such a spread , also influenced the White House to strengthen its measures to isolate members of the public.

--------------------------------------------------------------

When we hit that 100,000 mark, will he have any regrets about how he handled this whole thing? 

100,000 is 0.05% of the original largess "Prediction"...…... sooooo…….NOPE ! jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4  FLYNAVY1    4 years ago

Been trying to put the multiple pieces together, and woke up this morning to realize that we have two mutually exclusive goals.  In the face of this virus, and our tribalism, we will fail to meet either one.

Our government at all levels is responsible to the physical and economic safety of America and Americans.

As a Chess player, we have as I see it two options:

• We send everyone back to work.... we will see a breakdown of our medical systems, and lose upwards of three million people minimum. (figuring 1% death rate, and it will be higher than that as we overload the medical system).  We will face a huge change in our economy trending towards a depression.
  • We stay home and isolated, people can't pay their bills, cant feed their families.... we may save more lives, but lose them in the financial depression that will be impossible to avoid as the social-economic fabric deteriorates from multiple directions.

I hate to be so negative, but what I'm seeing, reading and taking in from the point of facts, they are all pointing to the same thing.

We might of had an option very early on if we had isolated hard and fast back in January, but Pandora's box is open for good now.  Americans are too politically tribal right now to see objectively.  That by our own hand will be our undoing. 

Our best bet is to get the best scientists and economic thinkers in the same room to find the best path forward.  That is only possible if we ALL realize that our politicians are of no use to us in this situation.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4    4 years ago

Can I vote up that comment 4 times? I mean I just don't get what people don't get. Have they all become so partisan that they can't see what we are up against?

Right now it looks like NY has plateaued. We just dropped under 300 dead a day for the first time in over a week. So I wonder when we can actually get back online as a city, and still keep hospitalizations down. Right now, not sure. 

The good news is that there seems to be a vaccine on the horizon. It should be ready within 6 months. It could be a game changer. 

I think this will play out differently from state to state. If partisanship is going to show its ugly head, it will show per state.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    4 years ago

Perrie, do you think that criticizing Trump's behavior at his daily briefings is "partisan"? 

Yesterday Trump took questions from reporters while he was hosting the governor of Louisiana in one of the rooms used for those occasions.  Trump was answering a question when he went into a tangent about the Obama administration leaving him with "broken" tests that couldnt be used. 

The reporter Jim Acosta, who the right loves to bash, asked Trump to explain how the Obama administration could have left "broken" tests concerning covid-19 when the virus did not exist when Obama was president. Tests that were there during the Obama administration have nothing to do with this. Incredibly, Trump just repeated the lie and went on to something else. 

Trump has repeated that exact lie dozens of times. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    4 years ago

The vaccine is part of the solution and another part is treatment once a person has contracted it. There's a drug that the FDA has approved for treatment and it's called remdisivir

I don't know anything about economics so I'm at a loss. I will do what I can as an American citizen but that's all I can do

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.1.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    4 years ago

A viable vaccine in six months, is that a reality, or wishful thinking?  I think May is going to be telling in that all of those states where we didn't think we have virus problems is going to become a problem.  

I need to ponder if a viable vaccine if in six months, that will be soon enough to deflect us from entering a financial depression.  Gut feel right now is no.

All of these meat processing plants are a microcosm of the big picture.   Go to work to get money to eat/pay rent and then get sick and spread the virus more widely.  People won't then work in these plants, thus we have a shortage of processed meats.  The same is going to be true in all food processing plants.  What happens when we have food shortages in the US?  Yep... death toll rises all while we head to economic depression. 

If partisanship is going to show its ugly head, it will show per state.

You're a smart lady Perrie..... you know it's not a question of "if"!

Take good care.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.1    4 years ago
Did Cuomo stop sending covid positive patients BACK to ill equipped nursing homes?  

That is a total misrepresentation of what is going on. What was mandated is that discharged nursing home patients were supposed to go back to their nursing home, only if they could be quarantined in that nursing home. If they couldn't, then the nursing home was not supposed to accept them. The problem is that nursing homes get paid by the patient and so nursing homes who had no business taking back their residents because they couldn't quarantine them, did. The governer is now penalizing those facilities. Also, keep in mind, that these nursing home patients were supposed to be recovering, and low risk and this happened during the most intense part of the pandemic. 

btw, across the nation, there have been 11,000 deaths in senior facilities. Half belong to NY and NJ which are the hardest hit areas. That leaves 5,500 senior facilities getting COVID infections. What do we know about them? I ask this because Cuomo has been very transparent about this, but your state of Texas has not.

Texas still won't say which nursing homes have COVID-19 cases. Families are demanding answers.

Citing a state medical privacy law, Texas is refusing to release the names of long-term care facilities where residents have died from COVID-19, even as those case numbers soar and families plead for information.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.6  sandy-2021492  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4.1.4    4 years ago
I need to ponder if a viable vaccine if in six months, that will be soon enough to deflect us from entering a financial depression.  Gut feel right now is no.

No.  Too many businesses that are either closed or operating at a reduced capacity will fail.  Their employees will be forced into foreclosure/bankruptcy, consumer spending will tank, and the downward spiral will continue.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    4 years ago

Look John,

There is no explanation for what Trump said. I am not sure what else to say, other than what he said was kind of nutty. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.1.8  FLYNAVY1  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.2    4 years ago

At this point John.... is it really going to matter?

Anybody that is taking sides along party lines right now is a fool.  Our partisan/tribal loyalty over the past 40 years has brought us all...as a nation.... to the edge of this cliff that we are all about to go over.

What Trump and our government did yesterday is useless as the genie is out of the bottle, with no way to get back in there.  What is critical is that people start being realistic about the truth.  To be honest, I don't think that the majority of Americans can do that given the poor level of critical thinking skills we've instilled over the same 40 years.

What good is blaming Trump, or China or dems or pubs for the current situation going to do but keep you warm at night?

We all better be focused on solving tomorrows problems now, we can't do anything about the past but learn from it. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.1.10  FLYNAVY1  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.6    4 years ago

So you're seeing it the same way I am then.  Money stops moving/changing hands, and the economy seizes up.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.11  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.3    4 years ago

Agreed that treatment plus vaccine might help us win the war sooner rather than later. 

The economic part is a toughy. The choice is human life vs livelihood. It would be helpful (IMHO) if the states got some help but that doesn't look like it is going to happen. 

Meanwhile, Georga opened today while getting 1,000 new cases. SMH. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.12  sandy-2021492  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.9    4 years ago
“And the regulation is common sense: if you can’t provide adequate care, you can’t have the patient in your facility and that’s your basic fiduciary obligation — I would say, ethical obligation — and it’s also your legal obligation.” Cuomo said that if a nursing home can’t properly quarantine and treat COVID-19 patients with separate staffers, it’s required to move them to another facility or ask the state Department of Health to arrange a transfer.

The nursing homes weren't to take them if they couldn't isolate them properly.  If a nursing home couldn't take care of them properly, the nursing home had to transfer them, but if they transferred a patient out, they were no longer compensated for that patient's care (which they were no longer providing).  I don't see a problem with that, unless nursing homes were providing care for patients they knew they weren't equipped/staffed to care for.

IOW, a few paragraphs in your link seem to contradict the headline.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.13  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.9    4 years ago
“And the regulation is common sense: if you can’t provide adequate care, you can’t have the patient in your facility and that’s your basic fiduciary obligation — I would say, ethical obligation — and it’s also your legal obligation.”

So this is totally untrue:

Cuomo knowingly sent those people to their deaths.  Nursing homes are not equipped for intensive care isolation situations with highly contagious deseases.  You know that, I know that and Cuomo knows that.

So no, Cuomo did not send people to their deaths. They were not supposed to take these people if they couldn't handle them. 

Now let's talks about Texas who is actually hiding their deaths in senior facilities. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.14  sandy-2021492  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4.1.10    4 years ago

Pretty much.  I have one of those at-risk small businesses.  I'm hoping to pull through, and have finally been approved for a Small  Business Administration loan, but I'm sure there are businesses that won't.  I've read of mom-and-pop restaurants that have already decided not to reopen.  It's pretty bleak, where I sit.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.15  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.7    4 years ago
other than what he said was kind of nutty. 

pathological liar is the term. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.16  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.13    4 years ago

Are you defending placing Covid infected seniors in nursing homes (filled with the most vulenerable population imaginable) as sound policy? In what world did that make sense, even if a nursing home thought, for whatever reason, they could handle infected seniors? Why would anyone think that's not crazy?   Here's the actual  order and there's no wiggle room for nursing homes:

"During this global health emergency, all NHs must comply with the expedited receipt of residents
returning from hospitals to NHs. Residents are deemed appropriate for return to a NH upon a
determination by the hospital physician or designee that the resident is medically stable for return.
Hospital discharge planners must confirm to the NH, by telephone, that the resident is medically
stable for discharge. Comprehensive discharge instructions must be provided by the hospital prior to
the transport of a resident to the NH.

No resident shall be denied re-admission or admission to the NH solely based on a confirmed or
suspected diagnosis of COVID-19. NHs are prohibited from requiring a hospitalized resident who is
determined medically stable to be tested for COVID-19 prior to admission or readmission."

The order doesn't give any option to nursing homes. If you can cite the terms of the order that allow nursing homes to reject covid patients, I'd love to see it. 

Here's how it played it out:

Cobble Hill Health Center CEO Donny Tuchman e-mailed four officials to report that his facility had “over 50 symptomatic patients scattered through the building and almost no gowns” and warned, “There is no way for us to prevent the spread under these conditions.”

His closing, in hindsight, is heartbreaking: “Is there anything more we can do to protect our patients and staff? Thank you for any help you could be.”

Someone wrote back 20 minutes later — with a standard attachment offering advice on how to conserve personal protective equipment. (In reply, Tuchman repeated the fact that Cobble Hill didn’t have anything to conserve.)

The concerned CEO made another plea the next day, asking if he could send the home’s suspected coronavirus cases to the field hospital at the Javits Center or the USNS Comfort. No dice, came the answer.

Nursing homes did object, and were told by Cuomo, " They don’t have a right to object. That is the rule and that is the regulation and they have to comply with that,"

In no possible way does it make sense to place infectious patients into nursing homes. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.17  author  JohnRussell  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4.1.8    4 years ago
At this point John.... is it really going to matter?

Anybody that is taking sides along party lines right now is a fool.  Our partisan/tribal loyalty over the past 40 years has brought us all...as a nation.... to the edge of this cliff that we are all about to go over.

What Trump and our government did yesterday is useless as the genie is out of the bottle, with no way to get back in there.  What is critical is that people start being realistic about the truth.  To be honest, I don't think that the majority of Americans can do that given the poor level of critical thinking skills we've instilled over the same 40 years.

What good is blaming Trump, or China or dems or pubs for the current situation going to do but keep you warm at night?

We all better be focused on solving tomorrows problems now, we can't do anything about the past but learn from it. 

Trump's behavior on that briefing podium day after day is some of the most disgraceful stuff we've ever seen from an American president. It's pretty strange for anyone to say it is irrelevant. 

We can walk and chew gum. 

The governors have taken the lead in almost every way other than the fact that they didnt and dont have the access to medical supplies that the federal government does. If we allow it, Trump will take all the credit and dodge all the blame. If this behavior goes unopposed it is not out of the realm of possibility that he could get re-elected. 

Thomas
Senior Guide
4.1.18  Thomas  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.9    4 years ago

I would call your attention to the text of the article you quoted:

Cuomo said that if a nursing home can’t properly quarantine and treat COVID-19 patients with separate staffers, it’s required to move them to another facility or ask the state Department of Health to arrange a transfer.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.1.19  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.11    4 years ago

Meanwhile, Georga opened today while getting 1,000 new cases.

What was I saying about critical thinking skills.....?  Places like this is where we will see the first failures of our medical system coupled with our economic/banking systems.  New York is just a taste of things to come in my opinion.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.20  Trout Giggles  replied to  Thomas @4.1.18    4 years ago

Save your fingers, Thomas. They don't bother to actually read anyone's comments that they disagree with and if they do they gloss over the important stuff or twist it to suit their narrative.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.21  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4.1.19    4 years ago

I have to agree with you. People are going to pay for their bad calls with their lives. When NY gets its house in order, I hope we close our borders to these states that didn't obey the guidelines. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.22  Sean Treacy  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.20    4 years ago

Or you could address the text of the actual order, rather than a soundbite from a panicked poltician. Which do you text  matters, the text of an order or a soundbite?

The order, and the State's response when nursing homes told the State we can't take of care of these people and the state did nothing, should tell you how much that soundbite is worth.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.23  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.21    4 years ago
ves. When NY gets its house in order, I hope we close our borders to these states that didn't obey the guideline

Cool. So New Yorkers spread the virus around the country and then want to be isolated from the havoc they spread.  Very helpful.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.24  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.16    4 years ago
Are you defending placing Covid infected seniors in nursing homes (filled with the most vulenerable population imaginable) as sound policy? In what world did that make sense, even if a nursing home thought, for whatever reason, they could handle infected seniors? Why would anyone think that's not crazy?   Here's the actual  order and there's no wiggle room for nursing homes:

I don't know what you are reading from, but I have read the order and it was quite clear. The nursing homes were not supposed to take back their own seniors if they didn't have the proper quarantined areas. 

Cobble Hill Health Center CEO Donny Tuchman e-mailed four officials to report that his facility had “over 50 symptomatic patients scattered through the building and almost no gowns” and warned, “There is no way for us to prevent the spread under these conditions.”

These were not readmits. They got sick from their caretakers. Kind of something the NY Post would omit, since the paper shills for the conservatives, or did you not realize that?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.25  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.22    4 years ago

what the hell are you talking about? Did you even read my comment?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.26  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.23    4 years ago
So New Yorkers spread the virus around the country and then want to be isolated from the havoc they spread.  Very helpful.

Prove that. Especially since the first cases came from the west coast.

And yeah, when the idiot Gov of Georgia opens his state against recommendations and does it totally without regard to what is going on, why the hell would we want them back when we are still following guidelines. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.28  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.22    4 years ago
The order, and the State's response when nursing homes told the State we can't take of care of these people and the state did nothing, should tell you how much that soundbite is worth.

That is not a soundbite. That is the actual order. Sean, you are better than this.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.29  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Release The Kraken @4.1.27    4 years ago
We are setting up delousing centers for New Yorkers at all our state borders.

Be careful. We also bite.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.30  bugsy  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.23    4 years ago
So New Yorkers spread the virus around the country and then want to be isolated from the havoc they spread.

I live in northeast Florida and drive 95 every day. For about 2 weeks, I saw far more New York, New Jersey and Connecticut plates than I have seen during normal days, thank God headed farther south.

They infested south Florida where many of their friends and family moved to over the years to escape the far too high taxes of those states.

That's why Miami, Broward County and Palm Beach County are unable to move on with the rest of the state to come out of quarantine.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.33  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.28    4 years ago

I provided the text of the order and neither you, nor anyone else , has pointed to the text that makes it optional for nursing homes to accept infectious covid patients.   0

Please show me the text of the order that says taking infected people is up to the nurising home. 

Let's pretend your version of the order is  true. Do you still think it's a good idea to put infectious people in nursing homes?  Do the catatrpphic death totals change your  thinking at all?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.34  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.26    4 years ago
rove that. Especially since the first cases came from the west coast

What does that matter? New Yorkers still infected people in other states. 

There were tens of, if not hundreds, of thousands of New Yorkers infected before any restrictions were in place. Are you trying to argue not a single infected person left the state of New York in February and March? That defies common sense and all understanding of how the virus works. Do you think it's a coincidence that next to New York, some of the most infected states are those actually next to New York? . 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.35  Sean Treacy  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.25    4 years ago
hat the hell are you talking about? Did you even read my comment?

Yeah, I find it amazing how you can say other people don't read comments, when you both ignored the actual text of the order at issue in favor of talking point.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.36  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.24    4 years ago
The nursing homes were not supposed to take back their own seniors if they didn't have the proper quarantined areas.

Show it to me, please.

ese were not readmits. They got sick from their caretakers. 

Really? Can you show me where you learned how each of those patients got infected and how the caretakers got sick?. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.37  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.35    4 years ago

I've read Perrie's comments. That's all I needed

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.38  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.33    4 years ago
I provided the text of the order and neither you, nor anyone else , has pointed to the text that makes it optional for nursing homes to accept infectious covid patients.   0

Holy goal post moving. We showed you the order. Now you want us to make up an order that says that this was optional? Well, Gee Sean, the whole damn disease was not optional. We were short on everything when that order was made, We have over worked medical staff, not enough facilities and not enough supplies. None of that was optional either. 

Do you still think it's a good idea to put infectious people in nursing homes?  Do the catatrpphic death totals change your  thinking at all?

These nursing homes could have said that they didn't have the facilities to take them, but they didn't. Do I think it was a good idea? Well Sean, being that we were on a wing and a prayer when this whole thing hit us, probably there were better ideas. You know what would have been a good idea, too. If we didn't have such a hard time getting supplies from the federal government stockpile. That might have help cut down transmission of the virus, instead of having medical staff handwashing old one-time use gowns. How about that as a thought?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.39  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.34    4 years ago

Sean,

Before NYers knew that this was a pandemic and the President declared it so, I am sure that they did spread it. But now, we are all abiding by the rules. But Georgia that had 1000 new cases today alone, they decided to open up. Now you can't tell me that they don't know what they are doing. Why should NY allow people from Georgia back into our state, when we are following the rules from a disease that we now understand and finally getting our numbers down, from a state that just doesn't want to follow the guidelines?

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.40  bugsy  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.37    4 years ago

You sound like Pelosi.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.41  bugsy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.39    4 years ago
But Georgia that had 1000 new cases today alone,

Not entirely true..

Georgia had a little over 700 new cases YESTERDAY.

I invite you to take a good look at the map of Georgia and where these cases are coming from.Fulton, DeKalb and Gwinnett, all suburb counties of Atlanta. The rest of the state has between 0 and 1300 cases total, depending on the county.

Why would you hold up the lives of that many people because of the actions of a specific area?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.42  Split Personality  replied to  bugsy @4.1.41    4 years ago

Sorry friend,

Not that I confirm where Bing gets there info but

they show 1,255 cases added today, that's a big jump from yesterday.

They also show only 2 counties not reporting any cases same as your GA site.

Right now Georgia is a hot spot.  Some counties have only one doctor and no hospitals.

The virus is killing African Americans disproportionately and Georgia is 32% black.

If I were a black Georgian I would be very concerned about the whole state.

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.43  MonsterMash  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4.1.4    4 years ago
All of these meat processing plants are a microcosm of the big picture.   Go to work to get money to eat/pay rent and then get sick and spread the virus more widely.  People won't then work in these plants, thus we have a shortage of processed meats.  The same is going to be true in all food processing plants.  What happens when we have food shortages in the US?  Yep... death toll rises all while we head to economic depression. 

The coronavirus is going to make the 1930s depression look like good times. People whose only income is social security will be the new upper-middle class.

bugsy
Professor Participates
4.1.46  bugsy  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.42    4 years ago
Right now Georgia is a hot spot. 

Not the entire state. Only the metro Atlanta area. Everywhere else has minimal cases.

"The virus is killing African Americans disproportionately and Georgia is 32% black"

Not to be rude, but we have seen quite a few stories with videos of African Americans having large house parties in large hot spot cities where no one, of course, is social distancing or wearing masks. That may be one reason why the numbers are higher.

Something else to consider is if some of the AAs that are dying also have something no other race has....sickle cell. Maybe there is a link between that and covid deaths.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
4.1.47  livefreeordie  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.17    4 years ago

The Democrat Governors have shown their true Stalinist ideology.

Trump has been great. I can't imagine having anyone as president who would have been better handling this.

As part of the Reopen the States Resistance, we are taking our country back from the Stalinist Democrats and Bureaucrats like Fauci

Thomas
Senior Guide
4.1.48  Thomas  replied to  bugsy @4.1.40    4 years ago
You sound like Pelosi

Wow, way to go, Perrie!

Thomas
Senior Guide
4.1.49  Thomas  replied to  livefreeordie @4.1.47    4 years ago
The Democrat Governors have shown their true Stalinist ideology.

Wow, not just socialist or communist but Stalinist. Could you define the Stalinist ideology for me so that we all know just what you are talking about? After defining this ideology, please give us some examples so that we can discuss them.

livefreeordie
Junior Silent
4.1.50  livefreeordie  replied to  Thomas @4.1.49    4 years ago

Statist control over the population.

Reduction if not elimination of rights and liberties

Banning religious worship

reporting and tracking citizens movements

Restricting and/or closing business enterprise

Arresting and/or fining open public freedom

All these things are occurring daily

you can read more at my latest blog post

[deleted]

Thomas
Senior Guide
4.1.51  Thomas  replied to  livefreeordie @4.1.50    4 years ago

So what exactly do you mean? You Say:

Statist control over the population.

Reduction if not elimination of rights and liberties

Banning religious worship

reporting and tracking citizens movements

Restricting and/or closing business enterprise

Arresting and/or fining open public freedom

Is it your contention that only the Democratic governors are doing this? From, your initial posting  it would appear so. Aren't there Republican gov's doing this also?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.52  XXJefferson51  replied to  livefreeordie @4.1.50    4 years ago

It’s possible we might reach that number.  Remember that 1-2.2 million were the numbers suggested if we did nothing but ride it out.  100,000 to 250,000 was the base number having done the lockdown.  We were hopeful we could keep the number under the 100,000 base number.  Now it seems that the 1,000,000 would never have happened.  100,000 seems like it will no matter what we do.  It’s time to still use social distancing and precautions (gloves, masks, washing hands and re open our economy now

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.53  Tessylo  replied to  Release The Kraken @4.1.32    4 years ago
'Don't let them in, they have crabs.'

Sounds like a personal problem.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.54  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.39    4 years ago

Someone claimed on another site, I think it was Facebook, that where they were in Tennessee, everything was supposedly open and up and running, and that no one was wearing masks or gloves.  

Wonder where we'll see a bunch of new cases pop up?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.55  Tessylo  replied to  Thomas @4.1.49    4 years ago

He forgot Marxist, Communist, Stalinist, Nazi, Socialist, Communist

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.56  Tessylo  replied to  livefreeordie @4.1.47    4 years ago

'Trump has been great. I can't imagine having anyone as president who would have been better handling this.'  jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_78_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_44_smiley_image.gif

How so?

By ignoring at least 12 warnings starting back in January?

By disassembling the pandemic response team that President Obama put in place?

This 'president' is a bumbling, incompetent moron whose handling of this has been DEADLY.  

Many people got sick and died that didn't need to.

What a FUBAR situation this 'president' has created.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.57  Tessylo  replied to  livefreeordie @4.1.50    4 years ago

Who cares about your nonsense blog?

Isn't this a TOS violation somebody?  He's posting his blog here.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.58  Tessylo  replied to  livefreeordie @4.1.50    4 years ago

I see you blame the left in your blog.  

Like always

What a fine pastor you must be.  

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
4.2  KDMichigan  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @4    4 years ago
Our government at all levels is responsible to the physical and economic safety of America and Americans.

Isn't Socialism grand.

I myself vote for personal responsibility.

A lot of Democrat business owners are weighing how they vote in Michigan atm. The nanny state they looked for isn't as good as they thought it would be.

I live outside of a very liberal tourist town and businesses don't like the governments sweeping edicts.

Thomas
Senior Guide
4.2.1  Thomas  replied to  KDMichigan @4.2    4 years ago

Define socialism.

I myself vote for personal responsibility.

The two are not mutually exclusive. Your own personal responsibility would be called upon to not infect others, and others' personal responsibility is called upon to not infect you, correct? How can we best achieve the ends of non-transmission and reopening the economy?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    4 years ago

The trend in confirmed cases may be an artifact of testing.  The number of confirmed cases is not a reliable metric to predict a course of action.

Consider a hypothetical thought experiment; let's test everyone to determine the prevalence of O blood type.  The trend in reported prevalence of O blood type would be entirely dependent upon the number of tests that could be performed in a given length of time.  The trend would be an artifact of testing which only provides information about the testing procedure.  The trend would not provide useful information concerning the prevalence of O blood type.

Nasal swab testing and genetic sequencing is an established method for monitoring seasonal influenza for epidemiological modeling and determining efficacy of that season's vaccine.  And the testing only provides useful information if the test subject is infected with influenza virus.  Fewer than 1 million tests are performed during an entire flu season.  Ramping up capacity to utilize that testing technique for SARS-CoV-2 will introduce testing dependent artifacts into the reported trends.  The reported trend in confirmed infections is not providing useful information concerning spread of the coronavirus.

The NIAID/CDC testing procedures, based on influenza, were not designed to be used as diagnostic tools.  Attempting to utilize the established testing infrastructure for diagnostic testing is an unrealistic expectation; the testing infrastructure wasn't designed for that purpose.

The number of new COVID-19 cases being reported is being influenced to some extent by capacity to perform tests in a given length of time.  So, that information isn't that reliable for epidemiological modeling or planning.  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
5.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Nerm_L @5    4 years ago
The number of new COVID-19 cases being reported is being influenced to some extent by capacity to perform tests in a given length of time.  So, that information isn't that reliable for epidemiological modeling or planning. 

Bingo. It isn't that a lot of these people just yesterday contracted it. It's that test results are coming in. Results are by no means instantaneous.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.1    4 years ago
Bingo. It isn't that a lot of these people just yesterday contracted it. It's that test results are coming in. Results are by no means instantaneous.

Everyone is doing the best they can dealing with an unknown.  The number of hospitalizations and fatalities are also being influenced by inadequate or inappropriate treatment.  COVID-19 is new and unknown; there isn't any specific knowledge to rely upon.  Everyone has had to make the best guess and move forward.

Reductions in the number of hospitalizations and fatalities should be observed as knowledge of the COVID-19 disease improves.  Even those reported trends are somewhat unreliable.

What we should learn from the course of events is that science is not the most reliable tool for dealing with a crisis.  It's necessary to rely upon common sense and practical experience when an emergency arises.  What is needed in a time of crisis are people who can apply science guided by experience.  Dirty fingernails are what's most important when the crisis strikes.

Scientists plan for emergencies.  Engineers fix the problems as they arise in an emergency.  Dealing with an emergency requires a completely different skill set than planning for an emergency.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @5.1    4 years ago

The best number to look at is going to be actual deaths in 2020 by month in comparison against say a previous 5-7 year average. That can be calculated state by state too.  The difference will be due to the virus, and the effects of entering a depression.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2  Tessylo  replied to  Nerm_L @5    4 years ago

I'll take the word of doctors and epidemiologists and scientists over yours, thanks anyway Nerm.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
6  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago
"Are We Headed For 100,000 Coronavirus Deaths After All?"

Keep up the protests and defying the safety guidelines and you'll surpass it, even double it  God help you!!!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @6    4 years ago

I cannot believe the morons who are protesting at state capitals (armed) and elsewhere, armed or not.

What IDIOTS!

evilone
Professor Guide
7  evilone    4 years ago

Multiple sources are reporting the President himself is throwing around the 100K number.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  evilone @7    4 years ago

If Trump is throwing around the 100,000 figure, you can be pretty sure its going to be higher than that. 

Heard on the news this morning that the CDC has a memo saying that the "re-opening" will lead to 3,000 deaths a day within the next 2 or 3 weeks.  Unless hot weather slows it down, there may be no pause before the second wave. The way things are going 100,000, and more, looks like a sure thing.