╌>

Mourning In America

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  25 comments

Mourning In America

Coming to a tv screen near you. 

related

“Mourning in America" is   dystopian , showing dilapidated houses, a worried man in a hospital corridor, head in hands, a sick person being wheeled on a gurney, vacant industrial buildings, a man applying for unemployment compensation, crowds of Americans lined up wearing masks and scenes from a Trump speech.

www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/05/trump-george-conway-coronavirus/

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago
7:41 a.m.

President Trump called attention to the latest attack ad from a #NeverTrump Republican group in a series of tweets he posted very early Tuesday morning. "I guess we know what keeps the president of the United States up at night,"   responded George Conway , one of the Lincoln Project's founders and husband to White House counselor Kellyanne Conway. "It isn’t the Americans who are dying once every 45 seconds of COVID-19."

"A group of RINO Republicans who failed badly 12 years ago, then again 8 years ago, and then got BADLY beaten by me, a political first timer, 4 years ago, have copied (no imagination) the concept of an ad from Ronald Reagan, 'Morning in America,' doing everything possible to get even for all of their many failures,"   Trump tweeted . The ad, released Monday, is called "Mourning in America."

"Their so-called Lincoln Project is a disgrace to Honest Abe,"   Trump tweeted . "I don’t know what Kellyanne did to her deranged loser of a husband, Moonface, but it must have been really bad." He also attacked GOP strategists John Weaver, Rick Wilson, Even McMullen, Steve Schmidt, Reed Gavin, and Jennifer Horn. "They’re all LOSERS, but Abe Lincoln, Republican, is all smiles!"   Trump tweeted .

Speaking of Lincoln, political ads, and smiles, former Vice President Joe Biden took Trump's latest self-comparison to the first Republican president — at the Lincoln Memorial on Sunday, in a Fox News town hall — threw in a   little Justin Timberlake   and let Trump write his own script.  

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

Boy that commercial is going to backfire. After watching that load of horse crap it makes one want to vote for Trump. The reason we see bread lines is because the Dems won't let them go back to work. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3    4 years ago
it makes one want to vote for Trump.

Only people like you Dean. Only people like you. I'm pretty sure randians are not a majority in the US.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  XDm9mm @3.1.2    4 years ago

My comment refers to Dean as a Randian (follower of Ayn Rand), which he has confirmed himself in the past. Are you one too? 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @3.1.3    4 years ago

Thank god all the world isn't like that 'I got mine, Fuck you'

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
3.1.6  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Tessylo @3.1.4    4 years ago
Thank god all the world isn't like that 'I got mine, Fuck you'

Examples galore around these parts.   jrSmiley_115_smiley_image.png jrSmiley_115_smiley_image.png jrSmiley_115_smiley_image.png

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to    4 years ago

That's horrible

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2  Split Personality  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3    4 years ago
The reason we see bread lines is because the Dems won't let them go back to work. 

Good grief Dean.  Are you just bored enough to lob out partisan sweeping generalizations this morning?

jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4  Nerm_L    4 years ago

Donald Trump ain't the problem.   

The dystopian America portrayed in the advertisement is the legacy of Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton.  We live in a trickle down America.  We live in an America of haves and have nots.  We live in an America divided by wealth, divided by class, divided by elitism, divided by greed, divided by snobbery.  We live in an America where the essential must sacrifice itself for the nonessential.  The legacy of Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton is a divided America.

No one can accuse Donald Trump of being a charismatic, eloquent demagogue.  Trump doesn't deliver sentimental prose that appeals to the wealthy, the elites, and the haves.  There isn't any mythological 'shining city on the hill' to salve the guilt of those who have divided America for their own satisfaction.  Trump doesn't portray the legacy of Ronald Reagan and Bill Clinton as striving for a greater good.  Trump's message is too stark to allow comfort for those responsible for creating a dystopian America.  Trump isn't hiding what America has become behind a facade of nostalgic sentimentality.

The guilty denies their responsibility for dystopian America.  The reality of today's America was not created by Donald Trump in three short years.  Donald Trump did not create the divisions in America.  Donald Trump ain't the problem.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1  Ender  replied to  Nerm_L @4    4 years ago

Nor is he a solution.

Seems to me he is adding to the trickle down theory.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Ender @4.1    4 years ago
Seems to me he is adding to the trickle down theory.

How?

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Ender  replied to  Nerm_L @4.1.1    4 years ago

Tax breaks to corporations and the wealthy, deregulation of industry...

Edit: That was the basis for all of it, that it would trickle down and invigorate the economy.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.1.3  Nerm_L  replied to  Ender @4.1.2    4 years ago
Tax breaks to corporations and the wealthy, deregulation of industry...

And a tax increase on the wealthy that Democrats have been complaining about and promising to repeal.

Taxes on corporations are passed on to consumers; corporations only serve as tax collectors.  Corporate taxes are a backhanded way to tax the poor.  

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Ender  replied to  Nerm_L @4.1.3    4 years ago

Funny, I didn't see anything get cheaper with the tax breaks.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nerm_L @4    4 years ago

Donald Trmp isn't good enough to lick Reagan's shoes

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
4.2.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.2    4 years ago
Donald Trmp isn't good enough to lick Reagan's shoes

Perhaps.  But the fact remains that we are living in an America that is the legacy of Ronald Reagan.  While everyone cites Reagan's small government rhetoric, the reality is that Reagan forced the have nots of the country to become dependent upon the Federal government.

Ronald Reagan was an Adlai Stevenson Democrat; Reagan was Republican in name only.   That's why there is so little difference between the parties today.  Democrats haven't changed (although they had their chance) but Reagan changed Republicans to be more like the dregs of the Democratic Party. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nerm_L @4.2.1    4 years ago

That's gonna hurt when the Reagan Conservatives here read that

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5  It Is ME    4 years ago

"A group of RINO Republicans who failed badly 12 years ago, then again 8 years ago, and then got BADLY beaten by me, a political first timer, 4 years ago"

TRUTH ! jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7  FLYNAVY1    4 years ago

So no room for Goldwater republicans in the current GOP eh?