╌>

Politics Made My Parents Disown Me : Ask Politics

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  14 comments

By:   Posted byu/Avocadogirl12(reddit)

Politics Made My Parents Disown Me : Ask Politics
Because of this, both of my parents have mentioned that they want nothing to do with me (or any other non-conservative).

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics Made My Parents Disown Me

Has anyone ever stopped talking with certain family members based on conflicting political views?

As of late, my views are definitely on the progressive side of things, but my entire family is ULTRA right wing and it's annoying. I don't even enjoy visiting them anymore, because my dad somehow ends up starting up an argument about politics and he keeps interrupting me, yelling and uses Fox News and Rush Limbaugh as his source for EVERYTHING. He thinks Ronald Reagan is the greatest hero of all time (next to Donal Trump of course) and hates Democrats with a passion. He literally overlooks most of the things that I say, and I get all of my news from MSNBC, NPR, Robert Reich and Bernie Sanders. So we always have explosive arguments.

Because of this, both of my parents have mentioned that they want nothing to do with me (or any other non-conservative). I'm thinking of avoiding visiting my parents at all costs but it's hard because my 86-year-old grandmother lives with them and I want to see her as often as possible. However, my family has become very unpleasant to be around. And when other family members or friends are there, they ALL gang up against me.

Has this happened with anyone on here? Will it get better?

Having right-wing or left-wing views doesn't matter at all to me. Forcing an agenda down someone else's throat, or belittling someone because they disagree with you, does matter to me. And it isn't a person I would want to interact with even if I agreed with everything that they said.

As uncomfortable as it sounds, I think you'd do best to avoid the topic, and when they bring it up, avoid answering questions or defending your views. You could also try pointing out your issues with their tone, disregarding the message. Anything you say that could possibly be interpreted as an attack on their political views will just add fuel to the fire.

More posts from the Ask_Politics community Continue browsing in r/Ask_Politicsr/Ask_Politics "Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even where there is no river." 48.2k

Created Oct 26, 2011 Join helpReddit AppReddit coinsReddit premiumReddit giftsaboutcareerspressadvertiseblogTermsContent policyPrivacy policyMod policy Reddit Inc © 2020. All rights reserved

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

I find it a sad thing that politics can come between a family. My family has as a broad spectrum of beliefs but we love each other enough to put them aside and just enjoy each other. What is wrong with these parents?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    4 years ago

I had a friend whose parents were Catholic and her daughter got engaged to a Baptist.  They refused to attend her wedding so she got her fiance's father to walk her down the aisle.  Some of her family members also refused to attend but still sent them a gift.  She returned all of them after breaking them into pieces.  The few gift cards they got went into a shredder.  Her in laws have been more of a family to her than her own, something I can totally relate to.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1    4 years ago

I have heard that tale of interfaith marriages before. It is awful when politics or religion breaks up a family. I just don't understand it. 

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
3  Jasper2529    4 years ago
Posted by  u/Avocadogirl12   4 years ago Because of this, both of my parents have mentioned that they want nothing to do with me (or any other non-conservative). I'm thinking of avoiding visiting my parents at all costs but it's hard because my 86-year-old grandmother lives with them and I want to see her as often as possible. However, my family has become very unpleasant to be around. And when other family members or friends are there, they ALL gang up against me.

Poor little Avocadogirl snowflake. Since you're so butthurt that your mommy, daddy, and family think differently than you do, you should divorce them. You're outnumbered, sweetie!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago
Poor little Avocadogirl snowflake. Since you're so butthurt that your mommy, daddy, and family think differently than you do, you should divorce them. You're outnumbered, sweetie!

You obviously didn't read carefully. It is her nasty parents who are disowning her:

Because of this, both of my parents have mentioned that they want nothing to do with me (or any other non-conservative).

And I find this kind of ironic since you said this on BF's article:

I'm glad this young woman has so many people to support her. IMO, her parents are complete failures, because they chose politics over the greatest gifts  ----> love and family.

So, if that is equally applied, are these parents complete failures, too? Why hit up the child instead of the parents? Why is she the snowflake and they are not the intolerant people they seem to be?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    4 years ago

You have to decide what is more important: family? Or your political opinion?

I would much rather spend the rest of my life rolling my eyes at absurd notions from my family than forego ever seeing them again. What a terrible choice!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago
You have to decide what is more important: family? Or your political opinion?

You are 100% correct. I would hope most would pick family.

I would much rather spend the rest of my life rolling my eyes at absurd notions from my family than forego ever seeing them again. What a terrible choice!

I agree with you totally.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Some think that only liberals have this problem instead of recognizing that this is ridiculous condition spans the political spectrum.