Donald Trump Leads Joe Biden By Two Points Across Six Battleground States
By: James Walker (MSN)
UP NEXT President Donald Trump is leading Joe Biden by two points in six battlegrounds states, a new poll has found.
The latest survey by Change Research and CNBC revealed that 47 percent of likely voters in Arizona, Florida, Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin would back the commander-in-chief if an election were held the same day.
By comparison, 45 percent told pollsters they would opt for former Vice President Biden. A further 4 percent said they would back a third-party candidate while 3 percent were unsure who they would back in November.
When the hypothetical ballot was whittled down to a simple head-to-head between Trump and Biden, the president had a three-point lead among battleground state voters.
President Trump's lead over the presumptive Democratic nominee in key swing states came in spite of disapproval over his handling of the novel coronavirus pandemic.
Forty-eight percent of those polled said they either "strongly" or "somewhat" approved of the commander-in-chief's handling of the COVID-19 outbreak, compared to 52 percent who disapproved.
But his approval rating on the issue was still better than that of Congress, with seven-in-ten of the swing state voters telling pollsters they disapproved of Congress' reaction to the pandemic.
Asked who they believed President Trump favored most with his economic responses to the pandemic, half of voters told pollsters that the policies favored the wealthy and big corporations.
A little more than one-in-five (21 percent) said Trump's bailouts favored the middle class and small businesses, while roughly a quarter (24 percent) said they favored both groups equally.
Giving an overall rating of the U.S. economy, 24 percent said it was in either an "excellent" or "good" state. The remaining 76 percent rated it as "not so good" or "poor."
A similar number (71 percent) told pollsters they thought the economy was either "probably" or "definitely" in the midst of a recession.
Asked what they thought of President Trump's general performance in the White House, 49 percent said they approved of the job he was doing while 51 percent disapproved.
Change Research pollsters surveyed 3,544 likely voters across the six battleground states between May 1 and May 3. The poll's margin of error is 1.6 percentage points.
At the 2016 presidential election, President Trump won Pennsylvania, Michigan and Wisconsin within a percentage point of Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.
His victories in the other three states polled by Change Research were slightly wider. Trump beat Clinton by 1.2, 3.5 and 3.6 points in Florida, Arizona and North Carolina respectively.
Sign up to our newsletter and get Newsweek stories delivered to your e-mail
Who is online