╌>

Texas Supreme Court orders Dallas salon owner released from jail

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  4 years ago  •  85 comments

By:   Tasha Tsiaperas (MSN)

Texas Supreme Court orders Dallas salon owner released from jail
This story will be regularly updated. Gov. Greg Abbott said Texans can't be jailed for violating statewide executive orders as some businesses are allowed to reopen. The governor pointed to a Dallas salon owner who is currently jailed for criminal contempt of court after she violated a temporary restraining order issued by a state district judge. Abbott said he is modifying his executive orders, eliminating jail as a punishment for anyone who...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

This story will be regularly updated.

© Provided by WFAA-TV Dallas-Ft. Worth

Gov. Greg Abbott said Texans can't be jailed for violating statewide executive orders as some businesses are allowed to reopen.

The governor pointed to a Dallas salon owner who is currently jailed for criminal contempt of court after she violated a temporary restraining order issued by a state district judge.

Abbott said he is modifying his executive orders, eliminating jail as a punishment for anyone who violates his rule.

Abbott issued a variation of a stay-at-home order March 31 that expired April 30. Non-essential businesses were closed and gatherings were limited.

The governor announced a phased reopening plan that began May 1, but he amended those plans Tuesday, allowing salons and barbershops to reopen Friday.

But one salon in Dallas reopened even before the statewide stay-at-home order was lifted.

The owner of Salon a la Mode, Shelley Luther, was issued a citation and then sent a cease and desist letter by Dallas County officials. The salon remained open.

The City of Dallas sought a temporary restraining order forcing the salon to close, which a state district judge granted.

In a hearing Tuesday afternoon, State District Judge Eric Moye found Luther to be in criminal contempt of court. He ordered her to pay thousands in fines and sentenced her to seven days in jail.

Abbott said in a written statement Thursday that he believes his change to his executive orders should allow Luther to be released from jail.

The governor also referenced two women arrested in Laredo who allegedly violated the community's emergency management plan for offering beauty and cosmetic services from home.

Ana Isabel Castro-Garcia and Brenda Stephanie Mata were arrested on misdemeanor charges.

© Provided by WFAA-TV Dallas-Ft. WorthTop Texas officials denounce Dallas salon owner's jail sentence for defying orders to close Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and Attorney General Ken Paxton said Wednesday that the seven-day jail sentence a Dallas salon owner received for defying orders to keep her business closed was excessive - with Paxton calling for Shelley Luther's immediate release. "I find it outrageous and out of touch that during this national pandemic, a judge ... The Texas Tribune|May 06, 2020

"Throwing Texans in jail who have had their businesses shut down through no fault of their own is nonsensical, and I will not allow it to happen," Abbott said in a statement Thursday.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    4 years ago

Texas Supreme Court ordered her release!!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Texan1211 @1    4 years ago

Can you imagine the outrage from the left if Ms. Luther had been a black woman or Hispanic activist.

TTGA
Professor Silent
1.2  TTGA  replied to  Texan1211 @1    4 years ago
Texas Supreme Court ordered her release!!

That didn't take very long once it went public.  I have a feeling that judge isn't going to be on the bench for much longer.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  TTGA @1.2    4 years ago
  I have a feeling that judge isn't going to be on the bench for much longer.

Been elected twice and is up for re-election 11/03/2020.  Completely up to the 14th district voters of Dallas.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @1    4 years ago

The article clearly states that Gregg Abbott modified his previous orders to allow Judge Moye to release Ms.Luther.

There is nothing in the article about the Texas Supreme Court doing anything at ll.

They however are abiding by Abbott's original orders and made history April 10th by hearing arguments via webinar with all of the Justice participating from their homes.

Not your fault.  The headline is what it is.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @1.3    4 years ago

The Texas Supreme Court ordered her release.

The Texas Supreme Court on Thursday granted a motion to release Dallas salon owner Shelley Luther, who was sentenced to seven days in jail for defying orders to keep her business closed during the...

2 hours ago · The Texas Supreme Court on Thursday ordered Dallas County officials to free salon owner Shelley Luther from jail while its nine judges, all Republicans, weigh an appeal challenging her..

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.3.2  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @1.3    4 years ago

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.3.3  KDMichigan  replied to  Split Personality @1.3    4 years ago
A Texas salon owner who was sent to jail for seven days for violating the state's stay-at-home order during Covid-19 will be released, the Supreme Court of Texas ruled Thursday.

And Tex was wrong? Even fake news CNN says Texas SC ruled she should be released.

Here are some more links, maybe you can find something in them that says TSC didn't order her release.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.3.4  Split Personality  replied to  KDMichigan @1.3.3    4 years ago

Just a poor choice of articles,

Tex provided several more appropriate links and I provided one.

Please take your animosity off of auto/speedcontrol.

jrSmiley_67_smiley_image.png

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Texan1211 @1    4 years ago

Congrats Tex, you've nailed every big story today.

Well done!

Voted up!

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
2  Jasper2529    4 years ago

I'm glad she'll be released.

Judge Andrew Napolitano accurately and succinctly described the judge as "a two-bit political hack in a black robe".

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @2    4 years ago

The judge followed the law and he punished her for contempt of court, once publicly, once in his courtroom after he asked her to be reasonable.

There was a complaint.  Most likely by a salon that stayed closed.

A cease and desist was issued by a sheriff. The plaintiff made a public display of civil disobedience complete with press conference.

The judge offered a compromise. The plaintiff refused.

Napolitano has done the same thing innumerable times, sad to see him say anything like that against a fellow judge.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Split Personality @2.1    4 years ago

We do not bend the knee to hacktivist progressive politicians when they demand we surrender our God given liberty to them.  

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
3  JaneDoe    4 years ago

I am a little curious about the $7,000 fine. Will she still be required to pay that? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  JaneDoe @3    4 years ago

I haven't heard, but am betting that the entire judge's order may be vacated.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1    4 years ago

Not exactly exoneration.

The Texas Supreme Court issued a temporary order freeing Shelley Luther shortly after Republican Gov. Greg Abbott amended his executive order on the closures to prevent incarceration as a punishment. It had previously threatened violators with up to 180 days in jail.

The Dallas County Sheriff’s Department said the governor’s action had no impact on the release, because Luther had been jailed for contempt of court, not for defying his order. Her appeal to the high court over her incarceration is still pending.

Luther left the jail around 2 p.m., welcomed by a small crowd of cheering protesters.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Ender  replied to  Split Personality @3.1.2    4 years ago

Sounds to me like the governor is the one pandering. Well, along with her.

First issues his order, his order is followed, then when someone broke the order he backtracks and feigns shock and dismay at the punishment he put forth.

Then reverses his order.

Sounds like a complete tool that cannot even stand by his own convictions or edicts.

Blows with the direction of the wind.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2  Split Personality  replied to  JaneDoe @3    4 years ago

Well if they do that, should they then block her from the $500,405 they raised on Go Fund Me?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Split Personality @3.2    4 years ago
Well if they do that, should they then block her from the $500,405 they raised on Go Fund Me?

And who would do that, and why?

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Texan1211 @3.2.1    4 years ago

Just thinking out loud, that's a lot of sympathy.

Too bad she will miss this election cycle.  Would have been interesting.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
3.2.3  JaneDoe  replied to  Split Personality @3.2    4 years ago

I had no idea there was a go fund me for her. I guess I haven’t been following it as closely as you have.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @3.2    4 years ago

No way - that's for the aggravation!

The Judge should be defeated in the next election!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.6  Split Personality  replied to  JaneDoe @3.2.3    4 years ago

If you lived in DFW it would be unavoidable.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3.2.7  Vic Eldred  replied to  JaneDoe @3.2.3    4 years ago

It's not surprising there are go fund me's for lots of people. They are easy to start and Americans do seem to be a generous lot.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
3.2.8  JaneDoe  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.2.7    4 years ago

It didn’t even cross my mind at first but you are correct, there are go fund me’s for everything. I have even donated to a few myself. 

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
3.2.9  JaneDoe  replied to  Split Personality @3.2.6    4 years ago

I bet it is.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.10  Ender  replied to  Split Personality @3.2    4 years ago

Idiots and their money are soon parted.

Funny that everyone is so broke and poor and has to go back to work yet they could raise that much money very quickly.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.2.11  Split Personality  replied to  Ender @3.2.10    4 years ago

Indeed.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.2.12  Ender  replied to  Split Personality @3.2.11    4 years ago

What is ironic, they are giving money to a woman that never stopped working or closed shop.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

Here is to the Texas Supreme Court:

1204_wine-toast2.jpg

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    4 years ago

Moot point, the Governor already had changed the EO retroactively.

But enjoy Shelly's moment.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Split Personality @5.1    4 years ago
But enjoy Shelly's moment.

You don't ? jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

All she wanted was to "Work" so her and her employee's could " Feed THEIR KIDS " ! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

You don't care about " THE KIDS " ? jrSmiley_54_smiley_image.gif

If the "Border" kids are so important, the real "U.S. Citizen Kids" should be too !

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.1    4 years ago

Interesting interview on Hannity last night.

She never mentions, feeding the kids, her issues are with Clay Jenkins, Dallas County Supervisor

and the fact that she hasn't received any PPP or stimulus $$.

She has no employees, she rents space or collects commissions from 19 stylists,

so she was "doing it for them".

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.2    4 years ago
She never mentions, feeding the kids

Ummmmm….she already "DID", in court, in front of the "Judge" that wanted her to grovel in front of him to avoid Jail Time.

Say you're SORRY.....Say It.....SAY IT ! jrSmiley_103_smiley_image.jpg

Did you miss those vids that were all over the TV ?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1.4  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.2    4 years ago
She has no employees, she rents space or collects commissions from 19 stylists, so she was "doing it for them".

She also said that her stylists asked her about privately going to clients' homes, and she told them it wouldn't be as safe as in the salon. Why did you omit that part? 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.5  Split Personality  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.3    4 years ago
in front of the "Judge" that wanted her to grovel in front of him to avoid Jail Time.

The Judge wanted her, ( in her own words on Hannity ),

to apologize to Clay Jenkins, Dallas County Supervisor, she said she could not.

She also told the Judge, that she did it so that she and her stylists could feed their children.

The groveling nonsense is just emotional journalistic theatrics.

Luther had ignored repeated warnings from county officials to close the salon and had drawn a cadre of armed supporters who stood guard outside the salon after she opened last Friday, May 1. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott announced yesterday (Tuesday, May 5) that hair, nail and tanning salons can re-open beginning this coming Friday, May 8.

During the trial, Moye offered Luther the opportunity to avoid jail time by apologizing for breaking the rules and opening her salon while other salon owners continued the abide by the governor and Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins’ orders. Luther refused to do so, saying she wouldn’t apologize for opening the salon because she had done so she and the stylists who work for her could feed their children.

She is know locally for rescuing horses and currently has a menagerie that includes 6 horses,

3 mini horses/ponies lemurs, wallabys, cats and dogs. Those  are the children she can't afford to feed...

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.5    4 years ago

"THE"....Deflect !

Love it ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

"You owe an apology to the elected officials whom you disrespected by flagrantly ignoring and, in one case, defiling, their orders, which you now know obviously applied to you," Moye continued . He detailed her disrespect in choosing to open her business and called her actions "selfish," as she ignored multiple public and individual mandates to cease business at her salon

"I have to disagree with you, sir, when you say that I am selfish because feeding my kids is not selfish," Luther said. "I have hair stylists that are going hungry because they'd rather feed their kids. So sir, if you think the law is more important than kids being fed, then please go ahead with your decision. But I'm not going to shut the salon." After Luther's refusal to parrot the judge's suggestion for a groveling apology and refusal to, once again, put her employees out of work, the court bailiff took Luther away. 

It "WAS" all about …. "Making an Apology" to top "Officials" (The judge told Shelley Luther she 
could avoid jail time if she apologized, admitted she was wrong, and agreed to close her hair salon until it was allowed to open.).

oh.....she was doing it for..... "THE KIDS".

But "Deflect away. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.7  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1.4    4 years ago
Why did you omit that part? 

Omit the fact that she cannot collect fees from them if they don't use her "safe" place?

What else was omitted from the tragic tale of Shelly Luther?

What of the other two Latino women arrested the week before?

Why did they not "attract" the media attention that Shelly did?

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
5.1.8  Jasper2529  replied to  Split Personality @5.1.7    4 years ago

Ridiculous comment and deflections not worthy of more than this response. Keep safe, SP, and remember to wear a mask!

ThereAreFourLights
Freshman Silent
5.1.9  ThereAreFourLights  replied to  It Is ME @5.1.3    4 years ago

that gave me a Sam Kinison flashback :)

It Is ME
Masters Guide
5.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  ThereAreFourLights @5.1.9    4 years ago
that gave me a Sam Kinison flashback

World Hunger ...… OH....OOH.…..OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Split Personality
Professor Guide
5.1.11  Split Personality  replied to  Jasper2529 @5.1.8    4 years ago

Ridiculous comments?  Come to Texas and experience the Justice system first hand.

These women two were arrested 04/15 as the result of a social media sting by the Laredo PD for soliciting in home hair styling and/or nails during the pandemic shut down.

Governor Abbott's new guidelines will insure that they are no longer subject to the potential 180 days in jail, fines may still apply, just like Ms, Luther.

This woman was arrested after it was determined that she was still on probation when she filled out a provisional ballot that was never counted. On March 28, 2018, Judge Ruben Gonzalez sentenced Ms. Mason to five years in prison for “voting illegally as a felon on probation,” and more recently turned down Ms. Mason’s bid for a new trial. Ms. Mason has always maintained that she was unaware that her name had been purged from electoral roll and was ineligible to vote in the 2016 presidential election.  Ms. Mason and her legal team are working together to appeal the decision to a higher court.

After one year in jail, her go fund me page for her home mortgage has raised $59,000.00

This woman, defied the Governor, the County Supervisor, the 14th District Court, doubled down in court

and raised $500,000.00 on Go Fund me in less than a week.  I wonder why?

She has been released from jail but still faces fines and additional hearings as the Texas Supreme Court agreed to look at the case.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
5.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  Vic Eldred @5    4 years ago

Here here!  👏👍👌🍻