╌>

WATCH: Praying mantis eats a murder hornet’s face, becomes Twitter’s new hero

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  4 years ago  •  50 comments

By:   Nicole Lyn Pesce

WATCH: Praying mantis eats a murder hornet’s face, becomes Twitter’s new hero
A pretty gory video of a praying mantis grabbing a murder hornet from behind, and then chewing its face off and eating its brain, has gone viral across Twitter, Facebook, and Reddit . . .

Related Seed:   Asian Giant Hornet Invasion Becomes Latest 2020 Concern.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Turns out, the Praying Mantis can prey on murder hornets. imv/iStock

Say your prayers, murder hornets.

As if the coronavirus pandemic weren’t enough to give people nightmares this year, headlines about giant Asian “murder hornets” landing in the U.S. for the first time have had some people musing that the end is nigh.

The flying, meat-eating insects that grow more than 2 inches long can kill up to 50 people a year in Japan, and are known to decimate bee hives.

But all hope is not yet lost: tales of plucky bugs fighting back have been gaining a lot of buzz on social media.

A pretty gory video of a praying mantis grabbing a murder hornet from behind, and then chewing its face off and eating its brain, has gone viral across Twitter , Facebook, and reddit, leading “praying mantis” to trend on Twitter on Thursday 

Watch it here, but be warned that it’s pretty graphic.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

A pretty gory video of a praying mantis grabbing a murder hornet from behind, and then chewing its face off and eating its brain, has gone viral across Twitter , Facebook, and reddit, leading “praying mantis” to trend on Twitter on Thursday 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

I'm just glad that Praying Mantises aren't 5 or 6 feet tall!

Gazoo
Junior Silent
2.1  Gazoo  replied to  Krishna @2    4 years ago

I’m glad there aren't any insects that are 5’-6’ tall lol.

Drakkonis
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Drakkonis  replied to  Gazoo @2.1    4 years ago
I’m glad there aren't any insects that are 5’-6’ tall lol.

Are you kidding? That would be awesome!!! I'd be an exterminator with an automatic shotgun and a samurai sword! Oh! And hand grenades! Can't forget those! And Praying Mantises as sidekicks! 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Krishna @2    4 years ago

There was an old 1957 SciFi movie of a giant praying mantis...."The Deadly Mantis"  The sucker was the size of a 53' tandem trailer semi!

SPOILER ALERT:  (they killed it by trapping it in a tunnel and spraying lots of RAID inside)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Wow that is amazing! It gives me some hope that mother nature can take care of itself here. The video was actually really cool. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4  Raven Wing    4 years ago

It is indeed pretty graphic, but, natures diners are not always well mannered. That 'murder' hornet didn't have much of a chance against that mantis. There is not much that does.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Raven Wing @4    4 years ago

If I remember my biology.... a Mantis will eat anything that doesn't have a chance to eat it first.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

They need to put PM's near every hive.

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    4 years ago

Mantis are nasty creatures. Got bit by one once.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Ender @6    4 years ago

My dog got too curious about one once.  Just once.  His poor nose.

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Ender  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1    4 years ago

Ha. I was an idiot kid and thought oh cool, look. And tried to pick it up.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Ender @6.1.1    4 years ago
And tried to pick it up.

Uhh...lesson learned. After working out in my garden I was in the kitchen getting ready to prep dinner, when I felt something in my hair. I patted around the area where I felt something, but, didn't feel anything. But, I kept feeling something moving around in my hair. So I went into the bathroom and looked in the mirror. There, starring back at me was a large praying mantis. I reached my hand up to touch it and it grabbed at my hand so I jerked it away.

So...now...how do I get this thing, that has decided to make my hair its home, to leave. I go outside and, using a large spoon, raked it through my hair and felt sure that would chase it away. I go back inside and looked in the mirror and there it was, still looking back at me. Grr!!

So.....this time I decided to wash my hair, grabbed some shampoo and headed outside. I grabbed the hose and washed away, thinking that it was sure to get the homesteader to leave. After drying my hair I still felt some movement and looking in the mirror again, the bugger was STILL there. I bragged my comb and ran outside, ran the comb through my hair, with was no easy deal as my hair was below my waist at the time, and when I finished and went inside to look in the mirror, I found the little green mantis rascal was finally no longer in my hair. However, looking closer.....it was now perched on my comb! But, this time comb and all went into the trash can and the lid secured. 

Finally....my mantis menace marched away.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.3  sandy-2021492  replied to  Raven Wing @6.1.2    4 years ago

Now, you might want to keep a mantis in your hair.  A bodyguard against murder hornets.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Raven Wing @6.1.2    4 years ago

I came across one in my garden when I was pulling weeds.  He seemed as curious about me as I was him/her.  The mantis just sat on a rock and kept me company although it was not much of a conversationalist.

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
6.1.5  Freefaller  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.4    4 years ago
He seemed as curious about me as I was him/her.

Lol it was no doubt curious... curious what you tasted like

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Freefaller @6.1.5    4 years ago

It probably thought "I'm gonna need help eating that face."

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1.7  Raven Wing  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.4    4 years ago
He seemed as curious about me as I was him/her. 

They are quite curious critters, and not afraid of anything. If you don't provoke them they won't bother you. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
6.1.8  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.3    4 years ago
A bodyguard against murder hornets

You may be right. I think I will get me a cap and make a fort out of it for the mantis to hang out in instead of in my hair. I'll put a little sign on the cap that says, "Beware! Praying Mantis On Duty!" jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
6.1.9  FLYNAVY1  replied to  sandy-2021492 @6.1.3    4 years ago

Is that also a cure for a bee in the bonnet?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
6.1.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @6.1.9    4 years ago

If it can take on a murder hornet, I'm sure it can handle a bee.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
6.2  MrFrost  replied to  Ender @6    4 years ago

Mantis are nasty creatures. Got bit by one once.

I pick them up all the time, usually to get them out of range of the cats. Never have bitten me but i'll admit that their talons feel a tad creepy when they crawl up my arm. 

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
6.2.1  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  MrFrost @6.2    4 years ago
I pick them up all the time

Me, too.  Of course that was before I knew they were face-eaters and people biters.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.2.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @6.2.1    4 years ago

Yeah, I would not be picking them up, especially if they get past the little size.

charger 383
Professor Silent
7  charger 383    4 years ago

I hope to see Praying Mantises in my garden again this year.   

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  charger 383 @7    4 years ago

They hang out every year in the shrubs next to my front steps.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1    4 years ago

I used to bring in their eggs since they are so good at population control. One year I met up with one in the garden and no joke, it was 7 inches long. It looked at me, reared up and opened its mouth. I decided that maybe I need to relocate. 

But that tells you the huge amount of bugs they eat in your garden and the natural benefit they are.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
7.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  sandy-2021492 @7.1    4 years ago

The family is back this year.  I'm glad they're helping eat bugs, but kinda bummed that this one is munching on a firefly.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

I love praying mantisses. I've wanted to get a few for my flower beds

charger 383
Professor Silent
8.1  charger 383  replied to  Trout Giggles @8    4 years ago

Some Seed companies sell the eggs, They hatch and you will have some Praying Mantis.  I got them a few years ago 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  charger 383 @8.1    4 years ago

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  charger 383 @8.1    4 years ago

Do they eat white flies?

charger 383
Professor Silent
8.1.3  charger 383  replied to  Trout Giggles @8.1.2    4 years ago

I don't know if praying Mantis eat whiteflies; they are very small.  Whiteflies were the worst pests I ever had in the garden.   

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  charger 383 @8.1.3    4 years ago

They annoy my gardenia. But I may not have a gardenia anymore. Mr Giggles went a little crazy with the trimming shears. All he left were bare branches

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
8.2  Raven Wing  replied to  Trout Giggles @8    4 years ago
I love praying mantisses.

I do as well. However, some tend to get a bit too friendly. I don't mind them getting on my clothes, but, I don't like them in my hair. My hair is well past my knees and it is really hard to try and coax them out of my hair when they don't want to go.

When I had my very large garden they were really a big help in keeping the worms and bugs in control. I really dislike the dang tomato worms. They are so ugly and really damage the plants. But, they are no match for the mantis. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Raven Wing @8.2    4 years ago

I hate tomato worms. They look like something from a horror movie

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
10  Steve Ott    4 years ago

I've watched one eat a lunar moth before. Started at the head and worked its way through.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
11  MrFrost    4 years ago

I bet life at the lower end of the food chain must be a real bitch. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
12  MrFrost    4 years ago

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
12.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  MrFrost @12    4 years ago

Again.... from my memory of biology.... The female eating the male during sex is suppose to aid in copulation by the male.

Talk about a once in a lifetime orgasm!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
12.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  MrFrost @12    4 years ago

Human females excel at mental torture

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
12.2.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Trout Giggles @12.2    4 years ago

Something about those two "x" chromosomes......!

MrFrost
Professor Expert
13  MrFrost    4 years ago

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
14  FLYNAVY1    4 years ago

I tried to look up the amount of force their mandibles can generate.  At that scale, it has to be incredible.