╌>

Opinion: Who really has 'Trump Derangement Syndrome'? Not his critics, readers say

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  57 comments

By:   Paul Thornton Los Angeles Times Opinion

Opinion: Who really has 'Trump Derangement Syndrome'? Not his critics, readers say

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

Paul Thornton

May 9, 2020, 6:00 AM EDT

It's an affliction diagnosed most often by the president's supporters: Trump Derangement Syndrome, and apparently, it's an epidemic among those who write unflatteringly of the commander in chief.

The most recent diagnosis came on the   May 6 letters page , from a reader reacting to a news article on the president's "empathy deficit" who said the L.A. Times "can't give the guy a break." Letter writers who criticize the president have long been responding dismissively to claims they suffer from Trump Derangement Syndrome (recent examples of which can also be found   here   and   here ), and the May 6 example drew particularly pointed replies.

Yorba Linda resident Carl Falletta recommends a defense against Trump Derangement Syndrome:

Although I'm not an attorney, I'd like to offer some legal advice to the Los Angeles Times regarding the persistent allegation that it engages in the crime of expressing its Trump Derangement Syndrome. In order to pacify many of your readers, some of whom have complained about feeling nauseous reading the paper, I suggest the following:

First, throw journalistic integrity out the highest window of the L.A. Times building and stop printing factual information about Trump and his administration.

Second, stop reporting on all the bizarre, incompetent and dangerous things Trump himself says and does.

Third, report only on the good things Trump has accomplished during his presidency. This third suggestion will no doubt result in real cost savings for The Times, as there will be little or nothing to print.

You're welcome.

William Elmelund of West Hollywood wonders who's really deranged:

If someone would say, "That person is deranged — he says I can't fly by flapping my arms, but I can," we know which of the two is deranged.

So with that in mind, I do believe Trump Derangement Syndrome is real, just not the way that those who bandy it about believe.

Not being a psychiatrist or a psychologist, I cannot address the pathology of why some Trump supporters believe he is doing a great job and are desperate to have people say he is doing a great job when the factual evidence says otherwise.

Kim Hemphill of South Riding, Va., accepts the finding of Trump Derangement Syndrome:

I have several issues with the letter about giving Trump a break on his lack of empathy.

First, I don't think anyone is expecting the president to travel around the country to show empathy. He could do that by sitting in the Oval Office if he were so inclined, which he clearly is not.

Second, the right wing loves to trot out the "Trump Derangement Syndrome" meme. Well, I confess, I absolutely do have that syndrome as it is completely justified by this man's deplorable incompetence and morally reprehensible behavior.

As for this president "leading" a federal response to this pandemic, don't get me started.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

Not being a psychiatrist or a psychologist, I cannot address the pathology of why some Trump supporters believe he is doing a great job and are desperate to have people say he is doing a great job when the factual evidence says otherwise.

Kim Hemphill of South Riding, Va., accepts the finding of Trump Derangement Syndrome:

I have several issues with the letter about giving Trump a break on his lack of empathy.

First, I don't think anyone is expecting the president to travel around the country to show empathy. He could do that by sitting in the Oval Office if he were so inclined, which he clearly is not.

Second, the right wing loves to trot out the "Trump Derangement Syndrome" meme. Well, I confess, I absolutely do have that syndrome as it is completely justified by this man's deplorable incompetence and morally reprehensible behavior.

As for this president "leading" a federal response to this pandemic, don't get me started.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

He appointed Pence to head up the task force, which is doing an excellent job by the way.

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.1.1  Gsquared  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    4 years ago

You mean the task force the "Acting" President wanted to disband?   The task force he decided to keep alive "Due to popular demand"?  

Get real.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    4 years ago

He appointed Pence to head up the task force, which is doing an excellent job by the way.

So great a job that we are number 1 in Corona virus infections and deaths!  Yet 41st in testing!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.2    4 years ago

So much winning!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    4 years ago
'He appointed Pence to head up the task force, which is doing an excellent job by the way.'

How so?

They were doing so good that prick Pence and most of the Secret Service and White Trash House staff and feckless Ivanka have been exposed?  They were doing so well they were going to dismantle the task force?  

Heckuva job! 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.1.5  KDMichigan  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.2    4 years ago
Yet 41st in testing!

Yeah got a link for that BS? Here I'll help.

And if you need help understanding that, more people tested would mean more confirmed cases.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.2    4 years ago

Wow. Thank you for capturing in one sentence how dishonest "the lie about America to get Trump" crowd is. 

You use gross numbers of infections and deaths to say America has the most deaths, then switch to per capita numbers to claim we are only 41st in testing.  That's such a  transparently dishonest way to manipulate numbers. Glad credibility doesn't matter to you.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.6    4 years ago
You use gross numbers of infections and deaths to say America has the most deaths

Are you only counting the "net" deaths????  LOL!!!

then switch to per capita numbers to claim we are only 41st in testing

That's how it is rated.  Tests are rated per capita, since that is the only way to compare for statistical models.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.8  XXJefferson51  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    4 years ago

Indeed it is.  Trump has done a great job too.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.9  XXJefferson51  replied to  KDMichigan @1.1.5    4 years ago

Not only that but there is the willingness on the left to take Communist China at their word for the number of cases in China.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1.10  XXJefferson51  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.6    4 years ago

They hate Trump so much that they will believe the numbers of every other country but ours and will happily spew communist party propaganda talking points if they go against our elected President. 

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.2  Gsquared  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

What is most interesting is that all of the freaks and mental cases, who for years have, and still continue to suffer from Obama Derangement Syndrome, are delusional enough to think that calling out the miserable failings and deviancy of their cult Messiah, the "Acting" President, is somehow a bad thing.   Criticizing Trump is a bad thing... in Bizarro World.  Trump has the most severe case of ODS of all of them.  How pathetic.  

Despite their denials, they know the Blue Tsunami is headed our way.  

Gsquared
Professor Principal
1.2.1  Gsquared  replied to  Gsquared @1.2    4 years ago

Of course, some of them are very fine people...

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.2.2  cjcold  replied to  Gsquared @1.2    4 years ago

Funny how one Press Correspondents Dinner changed the course of history.

Trump can dish it out but he sure can't take it. 

With his Russian ties and Putin's long term hatred of Hillary, there became an unholy  alliance of propaganda and lies between Trump and Putin.

Trump is now saying that Flynn didn't lie to the FBI after his full confession of lying to the FBI as well as congress. 

At what point do we toss this POS POTUS into prison and heal?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Gsquared @1.2.1    4 years ago
'Of course, some of them are very fine people...'

Sounds familiar . . . 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Gsquared @1.2    4 years ago

I've been saying for the longest time that they live in an alternate reality/Bizarro world.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  cjcold @1.2.2    4 years ago
At what point do we toss this POS POTUS into prison and heal?

He and his whole administration of gangsters, thugs, grifters, mobsters, thieves

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.6  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.4    4 years ago

Bizarro world is east of the Hudson River and west of the pacific coast mountain range.  

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2.7  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.5    4 years ago

That was what the administration that left office on Jan 20, 2017 was and some may yet go to jail for their crimes.  Lock them up! 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

Trump Derangement Syndrome is justifiably real, as it is being driven and expanded by Trump Denial Syndrome.  If there wasn't the latter, there wouldn't be the former.

Identical to:  If there wasn't a Pearl Harbor, there wouldn't have been a Hiroshima. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

Once again, Trump is asked a question at a PC and all he can do is revert to his often standard answer that it was a nasty question because he can't stand having his feet held to the fire.

bugsy
Professor Participates
2  bugsy    4 years ago

[deleted]

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  bugsy @2    4 years ago

Lol!  👍👌👏

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Tessylo, you probably wont get too many comments on this seed because it makes too much sense. That is the kiss of death for some. 

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
5  KDMichigan    4 years ago

So a self proclaimed TDS sufferer writes a opinion piece about why he is not a TDS sufferer? 

Is this supposed to be a feel good article for TDS sufferers? Hillaryious.

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
5.1  Steve Ott  replied to  KDMichigan @5    4 years ago

Clinton Derangement Syndrome Is Driving the GOP to Embrace the Daddy of Big Spenders

"... apparently, when the potentate represents your own party, his profligate plans deserve a pass — no matter how much they go against what you've allegedly stood for.  

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
5.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  KDMichigan @5    4 years ago

[deleted]

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
6  Steve Ott    4 years ago

What if we actually took what Trump said seriously? As though he were, say, the President of the United States?

"... regarding Trump Derangement Syndrome: I'm getting rather tired of the phenomenon whereby anyone who examines and tries to comprehend what our president has done or said and to have a rational conversation about it is accused of suffering from TDS.  Let's change that narrative, shall we?  A number of diseases or syndromes are   named after well-known sufferers from the disease —Lou Gehrig's disease being best known in this category. We've been thinking about Trump Derangement Syndrome all wrong! It refers, actually, to the particular form of derangement from which our president appears to be suffering. "

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
7  bbl-1    4 years ago

"Derangement Syndrome."  Appears to be a term created by the right wing to justify their own misunderstanding of that which is easily understood. 

Does not matter, as with all things Trumpian the most simplistic explanation of what Trumpian-ism represents is "Stormy Who" and lets not delve into the details of McDougal while were at it. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
8  The Magic 8 Ball    4 years ago
Who Really Has 'Trump Derangement Syndrome'? Not His Critics Readers Say

not every critic has tds

but everyone with tds is a critic

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @8    4 years ago

jrSmiley_44_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_25_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

96310239_10222190817940893_3443835606931603456_o.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=4JGNG9eacBIAX8SUaRg&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=2ceda1a936a589a1ef385f4bbad97c47&oe=5EDE22C6

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
10.1  Ronin2  replied to  Tessylo @10    4 years ago

Quote one of the largest TDS suffers on the planet- that will work./S

More About Vox.com

Vox.com was founded in 2014 by Ezra Klein , a liberal columnist from the left-leaning Washington Post , along with Melissa Bell and Matt Yglesias. Run by the digital media company Vox Media, Vox.com currently has eight editorial brands including the sports website SB Nation and the technology news website The Verge.

In founding Vox, Klein said he hoped to “improve the technology of news” and build an online platform better equipped for making news understandable. Vox.com, therefore, aims to “explain the news” rather than simply report it — a practice some conservatives say inherently leaves out opposing viewpoints and differing perspectives. For example, the Washington Times and conservative media watchdog groups have heavily criticized Vox.com’s liberal bias. Additionally, the Week and The Federalist accused the website of a progressive worldview .
Vox's anti-Trump reporting during and after the 2016 election also garnered criticism.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
10.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ronin2 @10.1    4 years ago

That explains the idiocy of the seeded article.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ronin2 @10.1    4 years ago

Vox.com is no more left leaning than Newsmax is right leaning

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
10.1.3  Thrawn 31  replied to  Ronin2 @10.1    4 years ago

Lol fucking please, like you are some impartial regulator of news. Get the fuck out of here. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  dennis smith @10.1.5    4 years ago

It's not deflection if it's true. Newsmax is severely right leaning, is it not?

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
10.1.7  XXJefferson51  replied to  Trout Giggles @10.1.2    4 years ago

Vox is more to the left than CNS, WND, and Breitbart are to the right.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
10.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @10.1.7    4 years ago

My ass they are

It Is ME
Masters Guide
11  It Is ME    4 years ago

" Although I'm not an attorney, I'd like to offer some legal advice to the Los Angeles Times regarding the persistent allegation that it engages in the crime of expressing its Trump Derangement Syndrome."

Now thaaaaat's Funny ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Commercials are great ! jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

"I'm not an Attorney".....But …..

"I'm not a Doctor" …… But …..

"I'm not a Dentist" …. But …...

"I'm not" …… But …...

jrSmiley_103_smiley_image.jpg

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
12  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

I am voting against Trump for the simple fact that as a person I cannot stand him. I hate his face, I hate his voice, I hate his complete lack of integrity, and I HATE the fact that we will never admit mistakes. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
12.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Thrawn 31 @12    4 years ago

So you like this man more:

“And he had his hands under, underneath my clothes, and it happened all at once,” Reade told Kelly.

“So, he had one hand underneath my shirt and the other hand—I had a skirt on—and he like went down my skirt and then went up,” she said. 

“And I remember I was up almost on my tippy toes and when he went inside the skirt he was talking to me at the same time and he was leaning into me,” Reade said “And I pulled this way—away from his head—I remember, and so he was kissing my neck area and he whispered: Did I want to go somewhere else in a low voice. He said some other things I can’t remember everything he said. But he said something vulgar. And—”

“May I ask what?” Kelly interrupted.

“He, he said: ‘I want to f--- you.’ And he said it low,” Reade said.

“And I was pushing away, and I remember my knee hurting because our knees, he had opened my legs with his knee and our knees’ caps clashed,” she said. “So, I felt like this sharp pain. His fingers were inside of my private area, my vagina, and it wasn’t—there was no small talk—there was no like free stuff. It was just sudden. And it was happening like that.”

Reade said that when she did not cooperate, Biden became angry.

“He was that angry, right,” she said. “And I could feel, it wasn’t like yelling angry, but like that hostility filled. And he pulled back and he was just looking at me directly and he said, he pointed his finger at me and he said: ‘You’re nothing to me. You’re nothing.’” https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/cnsnewscom-staff/tara-reade-alleges-joe-biden-he-said-i-want-fk-you