╌>

New Mexico woman, 105, who beat 1918 flu, is now battling coronavirus infection

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  5 comments

The Gallup Independent reports Lubica “Luby” Grenko, who will turn 106 in August, has been fighting the coronavirus since being diagnosed April 29 at the Little Sisters of the Poor in Gallup, N.M.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Associated Press

1-2 minutes

A 105-year-old New Mexico woman who beat back the 1918 flu that killed millions, including her mother and infant sister, is battling COVID-19.

The Gallup Independent reports Lubica “Luby” Grenko, who will turn 106 in August, has been fighting the coronavirus since being diagnosed April 29 at the Little Sisters of the Poor   in Gallup, N.M.

The Gallup-born Grenko was born when World War I began, then survived the 1918 flu pandemic before enduring the Great Depression and World War II.

The flu took the lives of Grenko’s mother, Marijeta Kauzlaric, 28, and younger sister, Annie Kauzlaric, who was a month old.

Grenko’s granddaughter Misty Tolson said her grandmother remembers her mother going into the hospital and never coming out.

Tolson said she didn’t think Grenko understood the current virus because she told one of the aides who walked in wearing protective gear: “What the heck do you have on?

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Gotta pull for her. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
1.1  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago
Gotta pull for her. 

Absolutely. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2  Tacos!    4 years ago

You make it to 105, I figure you already got a head start on things like viruses. She's obviously made of better stuff than most of us.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
3  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

"Out there" in Gallup NM there is a tough crowd living a "hard scrabble" existence and I can tell you, Gallup got hit hard.  I'm hoping she makes it.

squiggy
Junior Silent
4  squiggy    4 years ago

I thought yesterday, some mere 85-year-old woman beat it. Maybe from NC.