╌>

Jimmy Kimmel Addresses "Disgusting" MAGA Response After Pence Apology

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  ender  •  4 years ago  •  25 comments

By:   Christopher Rosen (Vanity Fair)

Jimmy Kimmel Addresses "Disgusting" MAGA Response After Pence Apology
The Jimmy Kimmel Live host said he was on the receiving end of violent, hateful rhetoric from Trump supporters after playing a misleading clip of the VP.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Jimmy Kimmel Live host said he was on the receiving end of violent, hateful rhetoric from Trump supporters after playing a misleading clip of the VP.

May 12, 2020

Screengrab via YouTube.

Jimmy Kimmel had harsh words for the supporters of President Donald Trump who attacked the late-night host after a misleading joke about Vice President Mike Pence went viral last week.

After again apologizing for claiming Pence had carried empty boxes of personal protective equipment into a care facility as part of a photo opportunity (Pence had been joking; Kimmel took him seriously), Kimmel focused on the outrage directed toward him "from the MAGA hats."

"The outpouring of venom was disgusting. Stupid too, but mostly disgusting," Kimmel said on Monday's Jimmy Kimmel Live . "Some of these lunatics have the audacity to use the word Christian in their bios, but that didn't stop them from wishing death on me, on my family, on my son. Some of them said they hope my son dies, they threatened my wife. There were hundreds of horrible, hateful, sometimes violent Twitter and Facebook posts because I showed what they kept calling a doctored video."

On Thursday's episode of his eponymous late-night show, Kimmel played a short clip from C-SPAN of Pence unloading boxes from a truck and discussing the task with one of his aides. "Well, can I carry the empty ones?" Pence joked at one point. "Just for the camera?" In response to the footage, Kimmel said, "Mike Pence pretending to carry empty PPEs into a hospital is the perfect metaphor for who he is and what he's doing. A big box of nothing delivering another box of nothing."

But as was revealed on Friday, the actual Pence clip extended beyond Kimmel's edit and showed Pence closing the truck doors, leaving the empty boxes behind. Kimmel later apologized on Twitter, writing, "It would appear that [Pence] was joking about carrying empty boxes for a staged publicity stunt. The full video reveals that he was carrying full boxes for a staged publicity stunt. My apologies. I know how dearly this administration values truth."

https://twitter.com/jimmykimmel/status/1258796512328351745

"It was not a doctored video, by the way, we didn't do anything to it," the host said on Monday. "Doctors are the people Donald Trump doesn't listen to. And doctored videos are something Donald Trump posts all the time."

Turning his ire back to Trump supporters, Kimmel continued, "These people who blindly pledge their allegiance to Donald Trump instead of this country. Their hypocrisy runs so deep, they don't even seem to be aware of it anymore. It's like when an Uber driver wears too much cologne."

Kimmel received a loud backlash for his comments from conservatives across social media, including President Trump, who on Sunday called Kimmel "fake news" amid a storm of tweets and retweets.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1259530309781118980

"It took me a while to find it, because he tweeted 125 times yesterday," Kimmel said on Monday. "He tweeted once every seven and a half minutes yesterday. That's impressive. He ignored a pandemic and his wife on Mother's Day. He really can do it all."

In response to Trump, Kimmel wrote on Twitter, "Go make Melania brunch."

https://twitter.com/jimmykimmel/status/1259539733132136448

"Still no word on if he did," Kimmel added on Monday. "You think he ever made anyone anything? You think he, like, ever made Don Jr. a grilled cheese sandwich?"

Of his time in the caldron of Trumpworld, Kimmel concluded, "So anyway this is what the White House is working on and thinking about right now. This really is the dumbest time to be alive. I always assumed that if I got involved in some kind of a Twitter feud with the President, it would be with President Kanye in 2028."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Ender
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Ender    4 years ago

So over a joke about Pence people actually threatened or wished death on his family, even his young son.

Really disgusting.

This is how far some will sink just for donald.

Sick.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2  Texan1211    4 years ago

Wow.

A talkshow comedian surprised at backlash.

Shocking!

And no, I don't condone anyone making threats or deathwishing.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @2    4 years ago

Kimmel has done more than his share of hate filled rants against Trump and conservatives in general. I don't think he has much of a leg to stand on.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1    4 years ago

Why would you watch him?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Split Personality @2.1.1    4 years ago

I don't because I can't stand the guy and I just don't find him funny, but he has certainly been covered  in the media enough.

user image
Freshman Silent
3      4 years ago

Oh so kimmel can stand on his soap box and ridicule my way of life, but is going to cry like a bitch when people call him out on his dishonest lying? What is this article for? Am i supposed to feel sorry for this entitled crybaby?

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1  seeder  Ender  replied to  @3    4 years ago

So a comedian does his job and you call him a bitch for getting upset about death threats to his son.

Real classy there.

user image
Freshman Silent
3.1.1    replied to  Ender @3.1    4 years ago

Maybe he should  not lie on his show. How much you want to bet pence probably got death threats for that? He probably just isn't crying about it like kinmel who should be used to the consequences of being a television personality. Im glad he is having to pay for the dishonesty many of these "comedians" use to slander the president and anyone kn the right. Maybe Kimmel will watch his mouth next time. Probably not, he doesnt seem that bright.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.2  seeder  Ender  replied to  @3.1.1    4 years ago

So your conclusion is how dare anyone slam people on the right and if they do be ready for any and all consequences. Including death threats.

I will get a ticket for this but I don't care;

Deleted by sandy.  Ticket shows on moderation board.

user image
Freshman Silent
3.1.3    replied to  Ender @3.1.2    4 years ago

Pretty strong words there Mr/mrs internet tough guy/girl. If kimmel cant take it maybe he shouldnt be on stage mocking the maga crowd. I don't feel sorry for someone poking the bee hive. If he doesnt want to hear from the maga crowd, maybe he should be less divisive about their politics. 

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.4  seeder  Ender  replied to  @3.1.3    4 years ago

So you and the maga crowd think death threats are just fine. Gotcha.

By the way, if Pence or donald get death threats they are followed up by the FBI.

user image
Freshman Silent
3.1.5    replied to  Ender @3.1.4    4 years ago

I never said i condoned death threats. However the reality is there are crazy people out there on all sides of the political spectrum and he as a tv host should know that, so he should know what to expect. Maybe he should joke about something non political. He doesn't because bashing conservatives sells and his show would tank if he stopped because he is just honestly not talented.

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.6  seeder  Ender  replied to  @3.1.5    4 years ago

Yet you never once could bring yourself to condemn them.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
3.1.7  JohnRussell  replied to  @3.1.1    4 years ago
Im glad he is having to pay for the dishonesty many of these "comedians" use to slander the president

It isn't possible to slander Trump. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    4 years ago

We have people on Newstalkers who try with all their might to ridicule all sorts of "liberals" with memes, cartoons, fake photos, and all forms of unfunny "jokes" , and only now are they offended by a bit of humor. 

There is no figuring all this out. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @4    4 years ago

More than offended it seems.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Ender @4.1    4 years ago

,  a nd only now are they offended by a bit of humor

Kimmel does humour now? He's not just a partisan hack who deceptively edits videos to attack Trump? Perhaps you can point me to clip of Kimmel ridiculing Biden for Tars Reada and his history with women.. Lots of fodder there.

Oh.. That's right, he doesn't make fun of Biden. 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.1    4 years ago

What vids did he edit?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.3  JohnRussell  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.1    4 years ago

Conservatives are getting awfully whiny lately. 

user image
Freshman Silent
4.1.4    replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.3    4 years ago

The only one whining kimmel. Clearly he is not cut out for show biz. Doesnt have the balls for it from my point of view.

He reminds me of the loud mouth punk at recces who talks a bunch of shit to everybody. Then when someone steps up to him he cowers and then runs to tell the teacher. Lol what a little bitch.  

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.5  seeder  Ender  replied to  @4.1.4    4 years ago

Yep, we all know the kind of balls it takes to threaten a little kid.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
5  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

Death threats?!  I wish I could say I'm surprised that some are ok with that, but I'm not.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
5.1  Raven Wing  replied to  sandy-2021492 @5    4 years ago
I wish I could say I'm surprised that some are ok with that, but I'm not.

That is what some on the right have made our country become in order to protect and covet Trump. Who himself promotes it and turned a large part of our country into a country of hate for anything and anyone Trump does not approve of.

This we cannot blame our Founding Fathers for. This is not the kind of country they intended to be. Only a portion of the American people themselves are to blame for the hate that has taken over America, for not only those in our country that don't worship Trump, but, those in the world who do not worship Trump or agree to his every command and demand of them.

Trump, if he wins, will only have 4 more years as President, but, it will take much longer than that for our country and its people to recover from the hate and fear mongering we have become known for now to the rest of the world, as well as a large portion of our own people.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

Kimmel shouldn't have selectively edited that tape to show Pence being an ass, but nobody should put up with death threats towards their family. I don't think Jesus would approve of death threats towards anyone including the POTUS and VPOTUS.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7  It Is ME    4 years ago

"Death Threats" = Stupid !

"Stupid Jokes" = Ridicules !

"Jimmy Kimmel Complaining about threats" = See Trump Supporter Fears !