╌>

Jared Kushner clarifies after saying he's 'not sure' he can commit to date for presidential election

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  4 years ago  •  39 comments

By:   Timothy Bella (MSN)

Jared Kushner clarifies after saying he's 'not sure' he can commit to date for presidential election
President Trump's son-in-law said that he wasn't certain he could say the election would happen on Nov. 3 if there was a second outbreak of the coronavirus in the fall.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Senior White House adviser Jared Kushner raised eyebrows Tuesday by suggesting that there was uncertainty about whether the presidential election would happen in November as scheduled because of the coronavirus pandemic and that he had some role in making that determination.

© Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post Jared Kushner, wearing a face mask, listens as President Donald Trump delivers remarks during a press briefing on testing with administration officials in the Rose Garden at the White House on Monday, May 11, 2020 in Washington, DC. (Photo by Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post)

Hours after his remarks to Time magazine generated a strong reaction on social media, Kushner, President Trump's son-in-law, issued a clarification, saying he was unaware of and not involved in any "discussions" about changing the date of the 2020 election. Neither Trump nor Kushner as his adviser has any legal authority to change the timing of the presidential election.

The brief and disconcerting episode raised doubts about Kushner's familiarity with the laws and constitutional provisions governing U.S. presidential elections. As the Congressional Research Service says, "The text of the Constitution does not appear to contain a constitutional role for the Executive Branch in such decisions."

A federal statute says Election Day is to be held on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November. "Since 1845, Congress has required states to appoint presidential electors on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November, which represents the date by which voters in every state must cast their ballot for President," according to the Congressional Research Service.

Kushner's comments are particularly fraught because some critics, such as former vice president Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic nominee, were already on high alert for an attempt by Trump to put off the election because of the coronavirus outbreak.

In Kushner's interview with Time, he said while it wasn't his decision to make, he wasn't certain he could say the election would happen on Nov. 3 if there was a second outbreak of coronavirus in the fall.

"I'm not sure I can commit one way or the other, but right now that's the plan," he said. "Hopefully by the time we get to September, October, November, we've done enough work with testing and with all the different things we're trying to do to prevent a future outbreak of the magnitude that would make us shut down again. I really believe that once America opens up, it'll be very hard for America to ever lock down again. "

His remarks were met with concern on Tuesday.

"Kushner's statement reveals amazing ignorance of the Constitution and law," tweetedBill Kristol, the neoconservative political commentator and editor at large of the Bulwark. "It reveals startling arrogance in taking for granted he gets to have some say about when the election is held. It also reveals an utter lack of understanding of his very subordinate role in our democracy."

Sherrilyn Ifill, president of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, echoed Kristol.

"Even putting this question to [Kushner] is an insult to the rule of law," she tweeted.

Kushner felt compelled to give a follow-up statement to NBC News, with the White House clarifying he knows the election date is set by federal law.

"I have not been involved in, nor am I aware of, any discussions about trying to change the date of the presidential election," he said.

UP NEXT As states have postponed or canceled primary elections during the pandemic to help limit the spread of the virus, concern among Democrats over whether Trump would attempt to delay the Nov. 3 election, or implement policies to make voting even more troublesome, to get reelected has mounted in recent weeks.

Biden offered an explicit warning to a group of donors last month about the potential for the election to be moved, The Washington Post's Annie Linskey reported.

"Mark my words, I think he is going to try to kick back the election somehow, come up with some rationale why it can't be held," Biden said during a virtual fundraiser.

Kushner's noncommittal response on the election date is at odds with his father-in-law's own public position.

"The general election will happen on Nov. 3," Trump said at a news conference last month.

But the president, like he has often said without evidence, has also attacked mail-in voting, claiming such a practice is "RIPE for FRAUD."

"I think that mail-in voting is a terrible thing," Trump said last month. "There's a lot of dishonesty going on with mail-in voting, mail-in ballots."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

Jared Kushner?  Jared Kushner can't commit?  What in the eff does he have to do with it?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    4 years ago

Not a goddamn thing, Sister. He's just flapping his gums on issues he has not familiarity with.

Someone needs to slap him upside the head with a copy of the Constitution

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    4 years ago

no worries, congress has exclusive authority over postponing a national election date.

JBB
Professor Principal
2  JBB    4 years ago

Jared McCringypants is a national embarrassment!

Professor Guide
2.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  JBB @2    4 years ago
Jared McCringypants is a national embarrassment!

He's the 2020 version of Eddie Haskell.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.1    4 years ago

He's more like Sgt Schultz. Kushner doesn't have the slimy, schmoozy charm that ol' Eddie had

Professor Guide
2.1.2  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.1    4 years ago
Kushner doesn't have the slimy, schmoozy charm that ol' Eddie had

Stare at a photo of him for about 15 seconds.  You'll start to see it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @2.1.2    4 years ago

You do realize the tree rat is cuter than Jared....

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Krishna  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.3    4 years ago
You do realize the tree rat is cuter than Jared....

And that tree rat has as much power to set the election date as Jared has!

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3  Split Personality    4 years ago
"I think that mail-in voting is a terrible thing," Trump said last month. "There's a lot of dishonesty going on with mail-in voting, mail-in ballots."

But Mr & Mrs Trump, voted by mail in ballots for Florida which were hand delivered to the White House and then to Florida by the RNC

which Mr Trump has equated to fraud.

WASHINGTON – Under definitions used by President Donald Trump and many of his Republican allies, election fraud has been taking place at the nation’s most prominent address: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

There at the White House, Trump and his wife marked ballots that an intermediary had received from elections officers in Florida. Those ballots were then hand-delivered back to West Palm Beach for tabulation — a process that is legal under Florida law, but which Trump himself has equated to fraud.

According to documents HuffPost obtained under Florida’s open records law, the person who picked up the ballots was named Alejandro Garcia — the same name as one of the Republican National Committee’s top Florida operatives.

Garcia declined to discuss the matter with HuffPost and referred questions to RNC headquarters. A spokesman there did not respond to queries.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @3    4 years ago

What is good for me is not good for thee

evilone
Professor Guide
3.2  evilone  replied to  Split Personality @3    4 years ago
But Mr & Mrs Trump, voted by mail in ballots for Florida...

Which in itself may be fraud as his agreement with the Mar A Lago City Council says his address there can only be a club or a residence - not both. If it's a Club then he can't vote in FL elections. If it's a residence and he's still staffing and running as a club then he's committing business fraud. There have been law suites filed on this.

evilone
Professor Guide
3.2.2  evilone  replied to  XDm9mm @3.2.1    4 years ago
He could be a long term guest using the facility as a residence address. 

He is currently being sued because that would be a breach of contract he has with the city for that property. It specifically states there are NO permanent "guests". Including himself. 

Professor Guide
3.3  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Split Personality @3    4 years ago
But Mr & Mrs Trump, voted by mail in ballots for Florida which were handed delivered to the White House and then to Florida by the RNC

Wonder how much those stamps cost us.

squiggy
Junior Silent
3.4  squiggy  replied to  Split Personality @3    4 years ago

"But the president, like he has often said without evidence, has also attacked mail-in voting..."

Who is so naive to not believe a signed, blank ballot can't be cashed in for a cigarette, or a next breath.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.4.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  squiggy @3.4    4 years ago

Those that are so loud about voter or election fraud must have something to hide.

I never think about things like that because I don't expect people to try and rig elections

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.4.2  Split Personality  replied to  squiggy @3.4    4 years ago

Who would mail a signed blank ballot?

jrSmiley_89_smiley_image.gif

Professor Guide
3.4.3  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  squiggy @3.4    4 years ago
Who is so naive to not believe a signed, blank ballot can't be cashed in for a cigarette, or a next breath.

As in, "Please don't kill me, here's my signed, blank ballot!"???

squiggy
Junior Silent
3.4.4  squiggy  replied to  Split Personality @3.4.2    4 years ago

See, you didn't read that because I didn't write that.

squiggy
Junior Silent
3.4.5  squiggy  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.4.3    4 years ago

You want Winston or Camel?

squiggy
Junior Silent
3.4.6  squiggy  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @3.4.3    4 years ago

Bring me all the nursing home ballots and you get a whole baggie.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.4.7  Split Personality  replied to  squiggy @3.4.4    4 years ago

Ok.  jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif

you didn't say mail the blank ballots that are designed to be mailed...jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.8  Krishna  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.4.1    4 years ago

I don't remember the details-- but after long periods of Trump making numerous accusations of widespread voter fraud, wasn't the a committee appointed to investigate those accusations?

(And IIRC, they found absolutely no evidence of it...)

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    4 years ago
"Kushner's statement reveals amazing ignorance of the Constitution and law," tweetedBill Kristol, the neoconservative political commentator and editor at large of the Bulwark. "It reveals startling arrogance in taking for granted he gets to have some say about when the election is held. It also reveals an utter lack of understanding of his very subordinate role in our democracy."

Sherrilyn Ifill, president of the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund, echoed Kristol.

"Even putting this question to [Kushner] is an insult to the rule of law," she tweeted.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @4    4 years ago

What's up with the large font?

(Aren't you aware that Kushner is solely in charge of regulating the size of fonts used on the Internet. The Constitution sez so!)

So if you're not careful and continue to use large size fonts... eventually someone will report you to Jared Kushner...and then you'll be in real trouble!!! jrSmiley_30_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    4 years ago

Much ado about nothing.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @5    4 years ago
Much ado about nothing.

Yup. 

In fact, that's the title of the upcoming book on "the Life of Jared Kushner"

freepress
Freshman Silent
6  freepress    4 years ago

King Trump and Prince Kushner rigging the election? Great. I honestly don't think either of them have read the Constitution or even care what's in it.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Trump should be salivating at the thought of mail in voting.  That way he can cry rigged election if he looses.  

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
7.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7    4 years ago

He's going to cry rigged election no matter how he looses. 

It will be the cornerstone of his new "Conspiracy Theory News Network"  "CTNN"

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.1  JohnRussell  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.1    4 years ago

Good one. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
7.1.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.1    4 years ago
"Conspiracy Theory News Network"  "CTNN"

Trump will change it to what he thinks will grab his base best,

K ing

U SA

N everending

T rumpathix

or K U N T for short

Curly from the 3 Stooges makes more sense

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @7.1    4 years ago

Good point.  I stand corrected.jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif

Steve Ott
Professor Quiet
8  Steve Ott    4 years ago

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
9  KDMichigan    4 years ago

What a dumbass. Get used to it though, that is our choices in the presidential election. Two dumbasses.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  KDMichigan @9    4 years ago

But it should make for an entertaining debate, No? jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
9.1.1  KDMichigan  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1    4 years ago

Who can stick their foot further in their mouth? Yeah it will be a riot.