╌>

GOP wins California special election

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  texan1211  •  4 years ago  •  13 comments

By:   POLITICO Staff (MSN)

GOP wins California special election
Democrat Christy Smith, a state assemblywoman, conceded defeat to Republican Mike Garcia Wednesday afternoon.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Republicans have won a special election for Congress in Southern California, reclaiming a suburban House seat that they lost to Democrats in the 2018 midterms.

© Cynthia Smalley/Mike Garcia For Congress via AP 200513_garcia_ap_773.jpg

Democrat Christy Smith, a state assemblywoman, conceded defeat to Republican Mike Garcia Wednesday afternoon, one day after the closely watched special election runoff for the seat vacated by former Rep. Katie Hill (D-Calif.), who resigned last year.

"We believe that the current tally shows Mike Garcia is the likely victor in the May 12 special election," she said in a statement. "As such, I'd like to congratulate him."

Garcia, a former Naval aviator, currently leads Smith, 56 percent to 44 percent, with an unknown number of ballots left to be counted.

See full results here.

Read More

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Texan1211    4 years ago

Ruh-roh.

And in California, of all places.

Guess the GOP just ain't as dead as Democrats and the media would like us to believe.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @1    4 years ago

I seeded this great news where I could do so.  Cause for celebration 🍾  🎉 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2  Raven Wing    4 years ago

Sorry about your bad feelings, but, I guess you didn't know, there are several Republicans who are elected here in California, both state officials and US Congress. That we now have one more is good, as we don't want an echo chamber from either side representing California. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Raven Wing @2    4 years ago
Sorry about your bad feelings, but, I guess you didn't know, there are several Republicans who are elected here in California, both state officials and US Congress.

Sorry your "diagnosis" is so far off the mark.

I have no bad feelings about this election. What on earth prompted you to say that?

You are also a very, very, very bad guesser.

Perhaps it's time you gave it up, at least as far as I am concerned.

Thinking that someone here doesn't know that both Republicans and Democrats are elected in every state tells me much about you, though.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    4 years ago
You are also a very, very, very bad guesser. Perhaps it's time you gave it up, at least as far as I am concerned.

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Your attempt to be snarky and disrespectful really needs some work,

As far as giving up....it will never happen. Never. You're a very very very bad guesser, at least as far as I am concerned.

But, thank you for the good laugh. We could use more of those here on NT.  jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1.1    4 years ago
Your attempt to be snarky and disrespectful really needs some work,

Then I shall study you closer and learn all I can. I'll try to be as good as you.

As far as giving up....it will never happen. Never. 

Suit yourself. Personally, I would be embarrassed if I were you.

You're a very very very bad guesser, at least as far as I am concerned.

What are you going on about now? Where did I make any guesses about you?

Sounds like a strawman argument there.

BTFW, do you have anything relevant to say about the article?

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.1.3  Raven Wing  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    4 years ago
BTFW, do you have anything relevant to say about the article?

Sure. Do you? Something besides snark and personal attacks.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  seeder  Texan1211  replied to  Raven Wing @2.1.3    4 years ago
Sure

I'll believe it when you post it.

Do you?

Yes. Did you read my posts?

Something besides snark and personal attacks.

Stop playing the poor little victim card.

No one was talking to you before you posted the first snarky comment.

Sometimes you get what you give. Want different results, try different comments.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
2.2  pat wilson  replied to  Raven Wing @2    4 years ago

I've lived here for many years. I lean left, hard, but it didn't stop me from voting for the republican in state elections, twice.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
2.2.1  Raven Wing  replied to  pat wilson @2.2    4 years ago

Same here. I vote for the person and their qualifications for the position they are running for, not for any political party. I was a registered Republican for many years before the Tea Party took it over and it went to Hell and stayed there. 

And no...I'm not a member of the Democrat party either. They have the same requirements as the Republicans to get my vote.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
3  Tacos!    4 years ago
the seat vacated by former Rep. Katie Hill (D-Calif.), who resigned last year.

That glosses over the facts a little. She resigned because nude pictures of her were published and she was alleged to have had romantic relationships and made sexual advances with a campaign and/or congressional staffers, violations of House ethics rules. She admitted to some of these allegations and denied others.

I think all this was happening either before or during her divorce proceedings.

That might have had something to do with the district voters souring on the change in party so quickly.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Tacos! @3    4 years ago

I’m sure it did.  Garcia’s opponent made the mistake of belittling his military service as well. So now our house congressional delegation is 45D and 8R.  As to the state senate, it’s 29 and 11R while the assembly is 61D and 18R with 1I. There are no Republicans in any state wide office. I’m lucky enough to live in a district that the house member, the state senate and state assembly members are all Republicans.  In fact our assembly woman is the wife of our senator.