╌>

Video shows Costco worker calmly handle customer berating him over mask policy

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  170 comments

By:   Janelle Griffith (NBC News)

Video shows Costco worker calmly handle customer berating him over mask policy
A Costco worker was being lauded online for his handling of an encounter with a customer who berated him and refused to wear a mask.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A Costco employee is being lauded online for his handling of an encounter with a customer who recorded himself berating the worker and refusing to wear a mask.

A video of the incident posted to Twitter on Monday highlights a reality for many retail workers who are having to enforce stores' rules and public health guidelines on masks. The original video was posted on Instagram before it was deleted.

Costco requires every employee and customer in its stores to wear masks that cover the mouth and the nose to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

In the 37-second video, which has more than 6.8 million views, a customer who appears to be in a checkout line can be heard telling a Costco employee whose name tag reads "Tison": "I'll just put you on my 3,000-follower Instagram feed, mostly locals."

The employee waves to the camera and says: "Hi everyone. I work for Costco and I'm asking this member to put on a mask because that is our company policy.

"So either wear the mask," the employee starts to say before the customer briefly turns the camera on himself and says: "And I'm not doing it. Because I woke up in a free country."

The customer resumes recording the employee, who then takes the man's shopping cart and says, "Have a great day," as he wheels it away.

The customer asks the employee whether he is going to take his cart full of toilet paper, detergent and other items away.

"Sir, have a great day. You are no longer welcome here in our warehouse," the worker responds. "You need to leave. Thank you very much."

The customer can be heard telling a woman beside him wearing a mask that he will give her his Costco membership card.

"He's going to take the cart away," the customer says. "Because he's a p---- little b----."

"There he is walking away with all my stuff," the customer continues. "There he goes. Because I'm not a f------ sheep."

A spokeswoman for Costco declined to comment Wednesday. The employee did not immediately return a request for an interview.

The worker was praised by many on Twitter, including actress Busy Philipps, who said he was a "hero." Some Twitter users suggested that Costco give Tison a raise.

Tison replied from his Twitter account, saying, "People of Twitter thank you for all of the support."

He added: "I was just trying to protect our employees and our members."

Costco's president and CEO, Craig Jelinek, explains the warehouse chain's mask policy in a letter addressed to members posted on the company's website. The letter cites the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as advising that face coverings can help slow the spread of the virus, including by those who are not aware they are infected.

"This is not simply a matter of personal choice; a face covering protects not just the wearer, but others too," the letter states. "In short, we believe this is the right thing to do under the current circumstances.

"Although some may disagree with this policy or question its effectiveness, we're choosing to err on the side of safety in our shopping environments," Jelinek wrote.

190618-janelle-griffith-byline1987_3cd2a Janelle Griffith

Janelle Griffith is a breaking news reporter for NBC News.

Matteo Moschella contributed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

"There he is walking away with all my stuff," 

Until he pays for it, it is not his "stuff".

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2  Jeremy Retired in NC    4 years ago

Why is there a part of society that is so stupid?  Wearing a mask isn't going to kill you.  Retailers don't want you to wear it because you look like an idiot with it on, (your own actions do that) but they want you to wear it to protect YOURSELF, their employees and other customers.

"There he goes. Because I'm not a f------ sheep."

No.  You're not a sheep.  You're a f$cking JACKASS.  Put the mask on, get your shit and get out.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1  Krishna  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    4 years ago
Why is there a part of society that is so stupid?  Wearing a mask isn't going to kill you. 

Why are some  people so stupid?

Why indeed!??

Trump fails to wear mask at Michigan Ford plant visit 

Donald Trump appeared without a protective mask on a visit to the carmaker Ford’s Michigan plan despite the company requiring visitors to wear them.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Krishna @2.1    4 years ago

I figured it was a matter of time before some [Deleted] tried to make this political.  I guess you have nothing of of value to add to this.

shona1
PhD Quiet
2.2  shona1  replied to  Jeremy Retired in NC @2    4 years ago

A/noon Jeremy...Hell we are no better..We even had brawls in the aisles with people fighting over packets of dunny (toilet) paper...Bloody ferals are everywhere and some are just after their 15 minutes of fame...I really can't work out some people and he may become part of "thinning the herd"..."Woke up in a free country"...Yep the virus really takes notice of that....

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

I'm not asking patients to wear masks, because my staff and I are making sure that we have on our PPE and that patients aren't encountering each other in our office.  But we are asking screening questions regarding coronavirus prior to appointments, and taking patients' temperatures before allowing them in the building.  Several people have already complained about the screening questions.  Because apparently, a healthcare provider asking questions about your health to keep everyone safe is just too much to be borne.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3    4 years ago

If your patients do not want comply tell them to seek services elsewhere.  I had to have a tooth extracted and I wore a mask until I sat in the chair but did answer every question which did not bother me one iota.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1    4 years ago

We haven't had to do that yet, but if somebody escalates, we will.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.1    4 years ago

I hope it does not come down to that for you.  IMO you are a consummate professional and are just looking out for the health and safety of yourself, your employees, and your patients. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1    4 years ago

I'm glad you finally got that tooth looked at.

I'm still waiting for my dental office to call me and tell it's time to get my new tooth

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.3    4 years ago

Me too.  I was living off of Ora Jel and vodka for pain relief.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
3.1.5  sandy-2021492  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.2    4 years ago

Thank you, Paula.  I want to be open for business.  I also want everyone to be as safe as possible - me, my employees, my patients, and all of our families.  That's why my staff and I are boiling in our enhanced PPE, we're going through disinfectant wipes faster than we can unpack them from the box, and we're playing traffic cop in the hallways to keep patients, masked or not, away from each other.  The least they can do is not get pissed when we ask if they have a fever.

One of my patients today works in the wound care clinic of our local hospital.  She said people there give pushback over the same questions, and have to be told to put on a mask inside the hospital, or leave.  The wound care clinic manages most local doctors' Coumadin patients, so many of these patients are prone to blood clots.  One of the ways coronavirus kills is by causing blood clots.  The folks complaining are mostly already at increased risk.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  sandy-2021492 @3.1.5    4 years ago

To every one of those who complain about wearing a mask should have to spend the day in the gear you and every other dentist/staff has to wear all day.  They might then appreciate what ya'll have to go through just to protect them.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.7  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.4    4 years ago

Me too.  I was living off of Ora Jel and vodka for pain relief.

ever do Vodka Ora Jel shots off a body

of evidensely cut and fine tuned abbs....

me neither, was just checkin witt you

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1.7    4 years ago

Where were you when my tooth hurt?jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
3.1.9  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.8    4 years ago

Where were you when my tooth hurt?

doing body double

shots

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  igknorantzrulz @3.1.9    4 years ago

You jrSmiley_68_smiley_image.png

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago
"And I'm not doing it. Because I woke up in a free country."  

Indicating the second reason his "free country" has the biggest infection and death numbers in the world.  If, by failing to wear a mask he has spread the virus, he may well be a murderer. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    4 years ago

We have over a third of the cases and we are less than 5 percent of the total world population, so fuck this guys attitude.  The clerk was right to do what he did but should have gone one step further by having him legally trespassed from all of their stores.  He  can always get another card and just go to another one.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    4 years ago

Buzz, how many infections and death were in China?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2.2  Sean Treacy  replied to    4 years ago

[removed]

How people deal with the global numbers are like a window    [removed]    The idea that these reported numbers accurately capture the number of  infections is so patently ridiculous.  It's amusing to see them cited like gospel.  Besides the actual spread of the infection and number of infected who never seek treatment, a country's numbers will depend on things like it's honesty, it's ability to actually gather reliable data and the amount of testing. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that,yet people still claim the USA (one of those countries making an honest attempt to report it's infections, unlike China, Iran, Russia, has X percentage of cases and is the "worst." 

That doesn't even address     [removed]    who ping pong between raw numbers and per capita data (sometimes in the same post) to find whatever number makes America look the worst. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.2    4 years ago

Cool. Asking the basis for a factual claim doesn't have any value.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.2.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.2.3    4 years ago

Comment restored. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.2    4 years ago

Read the Johns Hopkins reports.  Don't you trust your own universities?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.5    4 years ago

Don't you trust your own universities?

I guess you don't understand how this works. Johns Hopkins has no independently verified  information. It just consolidates the claims of each country and reports them. 

So, in your world, China's count is accurate. apparently, there were only 500 odd cases in the whole country between November and January 22. Crazy how this infectious diseases barely infecred anyone even when the government wasn denying it's existence and taking no preventive measures. You might be the only person not affiliated with the Chinese government to claim that.   I've also seen Twitter claim half the tweets on covid are made by Russian or Chinese bots sowing disinformation. 

If the CCP announces the Holocaust never happened tomorrow, I assume you are on board with that? 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  XDm9mm @4.2.7    4 years ago

To you, XD, and Sean,

Let's look at it this way.  I know for a fact that the numbers where I live are fairly accurate, verified by two Front Line doctors, one of whom has been a close friend since I moved here.  Chongqing is a city-state with a 22 million population.  There were 579 cases of infection, 6 of whom died, and the rest recovered. Of course there could be some more that were never recognized or reported. There have been no new cases (unless a newcomer or two to the area brought their infection) for more than two months.  Everything is back to normal including the schools opening, and many people are no longer wearing masks.  Now, save for Hebei and its capital city Wuhan, I feel correct in extrapolating for the rest of China, so I do not disbelieve the numbers.  But of course, since Trump's game plan for re-election is to follow the O'Donnell Republican bible his minions will kow-tow to whatever he says.  If the numbers are as the Trump-sheep believe, since I have a good view of a couple of streets I would have seen bodies lying in the streets. I would have known that among my wife's extended family (this is her home town) and our friends' extended families and what all of them knew, at least ONE person had to have been infected, BUT NOBODY WAS. There is a big difference in the culture here compared to the USA.  The people of the USA are inundated with pride in their individual rights, their freedoms, but here the greater good, the collective life and health, i.e. that of others is more important.  In the USA, the economy and individual rights outrank the life and health of the people.  So yes, I believe what I see, and what I know from FIRST HAND knowledge.  What YOU believe is obvious to me, in fact completely understandable because you are Americans, and Trump supporters. 

Keep in mind that I never denied the wrongdoings of the CCP, and said so many times here.  I'm doing the same as you, speaking our minds. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2.9  Sean Treacy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.8    4 years ago
r a fact that the numbers where I live are fairly accurate, verified by two Front Line doctors, one of whom has been a close friend since I moved here.  Chongqing is a city-state with a 22 million population.  There were 579 cases of infection, 6 of whom died, and the rest reco

So you believe that only 523 cases existed in China before January 23 when Wuhan was put under lockdown?  Nothing else really needs to be said.  It's your credibility.  

Amazing this is what China chose to be honest about. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.10  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.2.9    4 years ago

I have no idea how many cases existed in China before January 23rd - and I neither denied nor affirmed it so try hard not to play your little game of putting words in my mouth AGAIN.  I only posted what I knew or believed.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2.11  Sean Treacy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.10    4 years ago
have no idea how many cases existed in China before January 23r

That's what the Chinese government reported. Don't you trust what they report? 

I neither denied nor affirmed it so try hard not to play your little game of putti

That says it all doesn't it? I asked a direct question how many deaths and infections there were in China and you can't give a straight answer. Yet you accuse me of playing word games.. 

IS the Chinese government's claim about the number of infections and death's accurate? Spare me your usual deflections of attacking Trump and the USA and whatever  your best friend told you about and tell me whether you believe China's numbers are accurate.  Why is that so difficult?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.12  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.2.11    4 years ago
"That says it all doesn't it? I asked a direct question how many deaths and infections there were in China and you can't give a straight answer. Yet you accuse me of playing word games.. "

I said I didn't know, so I could neither agree nor disagree with your question or give you an exact answer.  Is that a word game, you ******* *******?

Here's a word game for you, similar to what you asked me.  How many apartment buildings are there in my complex?  If you can't give me a straight answer then YOU'RE playing word games.  That's the LAST time I will ever try to provide you with a reasonable answer to your questions. 

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
4.2.13  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.12    4 years ago
I said I didn't know, so I could neither agree nor disagree with your question or give you an exact answer.  Is that a word game, you ******* *******?

oh oh i think i guessed the puzzle Pat, but said in Vanya, i guess,,,

u shouldn't lett F'n A houligans get under your skin, asz it mite bug one, know ?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.14  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  igknorantzrulz @4.2.13    4 years ago

???

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.15  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.14    4 years ago

LOL.  Okay ig, we're on the same page. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.2.16  Sean Treacy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.2.12    4 years ago
I said I didn't know,

You either trust China's reported numbers or you don't.    It's a simple question. Funny how you trust America's reported numbers enough to opine about them, but refuse to answer such a simple question about China.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.2.17  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.2.16    4 years ago

As I said, Sean, MORE than once, when I extrapolate the numbers that I know are fairly correct where I am, then the numbers for all of China seem quite reasonable.  Nobody's numbers are perfect - there still have to be a lot of unreported infections and deaths all over the world, so we can only go with relying on what appears to be reasonable.  So you can stop your fucking attack now. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5  Kavika     4 years ago

I see that the guy was good at name-calling but didn't try to take the cart back from the employee...

Yes it is a ''free country'' and the store was every right to require you to wear a face mask. Don't like it dumbass go somewhere else. 

Thomas
Senior Guide
6  Thomas    4 years ago

"I'm an American. I don't need to follow rules," would seem to be the customer's logic. 

Well, I am human and like not being sick. Put a mask on!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Thomas @6    4 years ago

"I'm a Trumper.  I don't need to follow rules."  

Fixed it.jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1    4 years ago
"I'm a Trumper.  I don't need to follow rules."  
Fixed it.

Where in the world did you find the asshole's political affiliation?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1    4 years ago

This isn’t political.    It’s anything but really.

Too bad so many have a need to make it so.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.2    4 years ago
This isn’t political.    It’s anything but really.
Too bad so many have a need to make it so.

I wondered why she did that, but then when no answer came to my question, I figured it was just some more made-up bs.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.2    4 years ago

You are right.  I should have not gone there.  Apologies.

squiggy
Junior Silent
6.2  squiggy  replied to  Thomas @6    4 years ago
Put a mask on!

I take it you've removed the beard.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  squiggy @6.2    4 years ago

You can still wear a surgical mask with a beard

squiggy
Junior Silent
6.2.2  squiggy  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.1    4 years ago

You can still wear a condom with a hole in it.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
6.2.3  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.1    4 years ago

Actually, that's not entirely true. If the beard is short cut and covered by a mask, then it should be ok. But if it cannot be fully covered or is too long, then a beard cover is required, in addition to a mask.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.2.4  Sparty On  replied to  squiggy @6.2    4 years ago

Good point.    

There is a reason anyone who might need to wear an OBA as part of their job have strict facial hair restrictions.

It’s the same basic concept.    Facial hair reduces any masks effectiveness. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.5  Krishna  replied to  squiggy @6.2.2    4 years ago

Totally different situation.

If a condom has a hole, its purpose is defeated. However you can have a beard and a mask will still be totally protective.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.2.6  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @6.2.5    4 years ago

Nope, you’re understanding of facial coverings is flawed.    Masks DO NOT work as well with facial hair around the edges.     Do they still work?    Sure.    Do they work as well?

Nope.

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
6.2.7  igknorantzrulz  replied to  squiggy @6.2.2    4 years ago

if your condom didn't have a "hole in it,", how would you put condom on...?

squiggy
Junior Silent
6.2.8  squiggy  replied to  Krishna @6.2.5    4 years ago
However you can have a beard and a mask will still be totally protective.

Happy snorkeling.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.9  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @6.2.3    4 years ago

I know you can't wear a respirator if you have a beard because respirators have to fit tight against the skin to make a good seal. These surgical masks aren't fitted at all. It's a one-size-fits-all. We've got people in my building with long beards wearing these masks and I'm certain nobody has told them to shave it or trim it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.2.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  squiggy @6.2.2    4 years ago

I don't have the equipment for a condom

squiggy
Junior Silent
6.2.11  squiggy  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.2.1    4 years ago

I don't have a beard.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7  Sparty On    4 years ago

This typifies many's attitude these days.

Costco is fully within their rights as a business to require such a thing and you if you don't like it, don't go there.

No liberties of consequence are being trampled on here.

Put a a mask on asshole or shop somewhere else.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8  It Is ME    4 years ago

The "Costco" folks are always GREAT ! jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Luv going there. jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg

Idiots" ….. don't see 'em much there, but when you do ….. "Idiot" is the nice word to call 'em.

The "Idiot" shoulda been fighting for a "Job" instead of over "Paper masks" !

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  It Is ME @8    4 years ago

Have you ever tried the Chicken Bake at their food court.  It is awesome.  They have pretty good pizza too.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1    4 years ago

Love the "Pizza" jrSmiley_93_smiley_image.jpg , but stay away from the hotdogs. They settle like a "Brick". jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
8.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8.1    4 years ago

Those are great.   You can buy them in their frozen food section you know.

A yummy little chicken burrito if you will

lady in black
Professor Quiet
9  lady in black    4 years ago

For the idiots complaining about their civil rights

98346724_10217583820252662_3740406843931

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  lady in black @9    4 years ago

The no shoes, no shirt, no service reminded me of something that happened years ago.  A friend of mine went into a place with that sign.  He had on a shirt and shoes, but no pants.  After the employee and most of the customers stopped cracking up, they still would not serve him.  Another funny from my past was when I was in college.  My local western bar had a sign...NO ONE ON A HORSE WILL BE SERVED.  I rode my horse in and they indeed would not serve me, but they served my horse (a beer and pretzels).