╌>

In contentious interview, Biden says black voters considering Trump over him "ain't black" - CBS News

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  kdmichigan  •  4 years ago  •  107 comments

By:   Grace Segers, Bo Erickson (CBSPolitics)

In contentious interview, Biden says black voters considering Trump over him "ain't black" - CBS News
In a contentious interview, "The Breakfast Club" host Charlamagne Tha God challenged Biden on his legislative record.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Grace Segers, Bo Erickson

May 22, 2020 / 9:59 AM / CBS News

Biden's VP search underway

Joe Biden defended his legislative record in an often contentious Friday morning interview with Charlamagne The God, the host of the popular radio show "The Breakfast Club," and argued that his presidential campaign was doing enough to reach out to black voters. At one point, Biden argued that black voters undecided on whether to vote for him or for President Trump "ain't black."

When Charlamagne asked him about comments from the rapper Sean Combs, who performs as Diddy, that Democrats take black voters for granted, Biden noted that he had won overwhelmingly in the South Carolina primary.

"I kicked everybody's — excuse me," Biden said, catching himself before he cursed.

"I need you to say that!" Charlamagne replied.

"I won every single county. I won the largest share of the black vote that anybody had, including Barack," Biden continued, noting that his home state of Delaware has the eighth largest black population in the country. "They're the folks that, as they say up my way, brung me to the dance. That's how I get elected every single time."

Biden also defended his support for the 1994 crime bill which implemented harsher penalties for minor drug offenses, and which exacerbated mass incarceration, affecting poor black communities in particular.

"The crime bill didn't increase mass incarceration, other things increased mass incarceration," Biden argued, noting that the Congressional Black Caucus at the time supported the bill.

Biden cited the "three strikes" rules and the mandatory sentences as something that President Clinton supported and he "opposed." Criminal justice experts have found that the bill both decreased crime and increased incarceration rates.

The presumptive Democratic nominee also offered that "no one should go to jail" for a drug crime, "particularly marijuana," and said he favors treatment over imprisonment.

"No one should be going to jail for a drug crime. Period," Biden said. When asked by Charlamagne why he supported decriminalizing marijuana instead of legalizing it outright, Biden said it was because there are ongoing studies on the long-term impact of marijuana use on the brain.

"I know a lot of weed smokers," Biden said.

Biden also "guaranteed" that he was considering a black woman to serve as his vice president. CBS News reported that Biden is vetting Amy Klobuchar, who is white, as a potential vice presidential pick. She is one of several contenders being scrutinized for the job by Biden aides.

"I guarantee you, there are multiple black women being considered. Multiple," Biden said.

Towards the end of the interview, a Biden staffer interrupted to say that the vice president was out of time.

"You can't do that to black media!" Charlamagne said.

"I do that to white media and black media," Biden replied. He promised to visit Charlamagne in New York and appear on "The Breakfast Club" again to answer more questions.

"If you have a problem figuring out if you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black," Biden said.

"It don't have nothing to do with Trump — it has to do with the fact that I want something for my community," Charlamagne countered. Biden replied that he should take a look at his voting record to see his longtime support for the black community.

"The Breakfast Club" has become a popular venue for politicians looking to reach out to black listeners. Biden has recently appeared on other shows which cater primarily to a black audience, such as the show "Desus & Mero" on Showtime.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1  seeder  KDMichigan    4 years ago

This guy....what a fucking idiot.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  KDMichigan @1    4 years ago

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAgZoKfI5_-/?igshid=i9t9d89zitjq

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    4 years ago

Vote for Joe...… He really does know "Black people"...… apparently. jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif  

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
2.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  It Is ME @2    4 years ago

Vote for Joe, I mean, what have you got to lose? Remember when Joe pointed out a person at one of his rally's and said "Oh, look at my African-American over here. Look at him, Are you the greatest?". /s

A Biden gaff, which are common but completely harmless, got turned into a Republican attack ad, who'd a thunk. This shows how desperate Republicans really are right now. This is much like the ever changing assault allegations where Tara Reade  was originally saying just a year ago that Biden didn't assault her but made her feel uncomfortable when he put his hands on her shoulders, now she's claiming he fingered her. If you watch the entire video of Joe responding to the hardball's being thrown at him he stands up for his record. I would have done it differently, letting that guy know we could always have done more and there is still a lot of work to do, but Joe was right about his own record, he has stood up for minorities his entire career. Could more have been done? Should more have been done? Of course, but that's not all on Joe's shoulders but the entire Senate and House during those years.

This is again a nothing burger, just like the single every changing assault accusation versus literally dozens of credible sexual assault accusations against dirty Donald. Here we have an unvarnished comment from a man who has fought for civil rights and equality his entire career versus a man who was sued for refusing to rent apartments to black Americans, said he didn't want blacks counting his money, he only wanted Jews to do that job, and called the bigoted swastika and confederate flag waving crowd in Charlottesville "fine people" after years of racist questioning of our former black Presidents birth place questioning his heritage which made his KKK, white supremacist and Nazi fans happier than pigs in mud.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

igknorantzrulz
PhD Quiet
2.1.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.1    4 years ago

whats' a matter Tex,

White Guilt ?

Cause from the comments i've read, Dismayed Patriot hit the Bullseye

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1    4 years ago
"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy," Biden said. "I mean, that's a storybook, man." 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.1.2    4 years ago
White Guilt ?

Now, why exactly would I feel guilty about being white?

That's just plain old crazy!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  igknorantzrulz @2.1.2    4 years ago
whats' a matter Tex

matter
[ˈmadər]

NOUN
physical substance in general, as distinct from mind and spirit; (in physics) that which occupies space and possesses rest mass, especially as distinct from energy.
"the structure and properties of matter"
synonyms:
material · substance · stuff · medium
an affair or situation under consideration; a topic.
"a great deal of work was done on this matter" · [more]
synonyms:
affair · business · proceeding · situation · circumstance · event · happening · [more]
(the matter)
the reason for distress or a problem.
"what's the matter?" · [more]
synonyms:
problem · trouble · difficulty · upset · distress · worry · bother · complication
the substance or content of a text as distinct from its manner or form.
synonyms:
content · subject matter · text · argument · substance · thesis · sense · purport · gist · pith · essentials · burden
VERB
be of importance; have significance.
"it doesn't matter what the guests wear" · [more]
synonyms:
importance · consequence · significance · note · import · moment · weight · [more]
rare
US
(of a wound) secrete or discharge pus.
synonyms:
fester · form pus · swell up · gather · discharge · rot · run · weep · ooze · come to a head · maturate
More definitions, origin and translations

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Texan1211  replied to    4 years ago
Self loathing is a art forum.I'm just the right mix of white guilt and black pride

LOL. Good one!

Personally, I have never understood people who feel guilty for things that happened before they were even born or things they had nothing to do with.

Weird as hell to me.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
2.1.8  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1    4 years ago
This is again a nothing burger

It always is when some racist Democrat pos gets outed. 

It's a nothing burger when you wipe your server.

It's a nothing burger when you execute Americans without a trial.

It's a nothing burger when you murder children in zone strikes.

It's a nothing burger if you accost a right leaning reporter.

We understand, if it's a POS Democrat involved it is a nothing Burger.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
2.1.9  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1    4 years ago

It's time somebody said it - allow me:

It is undeniably racist to assert blacks must think a certain way but whites are free to think as they please.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1.10  Ronin2  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.1.9    4 years ago

Common Vic,

According to the Democrats whites are not allowed to think as they please. Whites are allowed to think as they please so long as they follow the Democratic doctrines and defend them fiercely. 

Democrats will not be happy until the masses are all the same. Only the Elite (themselves) will be allowed free will.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.11  It Is ME  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @2.1    4 years ago
A Biden gaff, which are common but completely harmless

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

"This shows how desperate Republicans really are right now."

Can you BE any more hypocritical !

The one that the Democrats put up to run on their behalf to be President of this country is so "Stupid", he makes "Dirt" look smart ! Is that what you're looking for ?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.12  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @2.1.11    4 years ago

My fav. part of Democrats NEEDING "Stupid Feely" Joe to win, is their "Insistence" that he "Needs" a "woman" to run with him as V.P., preferably "Black" if possible. jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

I'm gonna give it a shot....based on Joes "Touch and Feel" the Women Fact.....what the hell !

Once you go Black, you'll never go back ? jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

Just joe keeping order on the Democratic Party plantation, nothing to see here.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
5  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

"WTF...because I don't support your failed policies. Things like the 94 crime bill, Obamacare and others "I ain't black" based on Joe Biden's words. That is basically saying the Dem party owns me because of skin color. I wonder if Rep. Wexton feels the same way.'  Jeffrey A Dove Jr

KW8fol_v_400x400.jpg
Jeffrey A Dove Jr

"If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black." ... .Joe Biden

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7  Ed-NavDoc    4 years ago

In the words of the immortal Bugs Bunny, "What a maroon!".

It Is ME
Masters Guide
8  It Is ME    4 years ago

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really ……….. REALLY jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif ...…. wanna see a live debate between Mr. Joe "I know Black People" Biden and President Donald Trump. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Obama will be there to help !

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
8.1  bbl-1  replied to  It Is ME @8    4 years ago

Me too.

evilone
Professor Guide
9  evilone    4 years ago

Joe puts his foot in his mouth once more. It'll happen several more times. No worries. I will also point out the multitude of people here and elsewhere online that have been telling me I'm not a "True American" nor a "Real Conservative" for disagreeing with whatever particular Tea Party/Alt+Right talking point du jour. They are all wrong.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
9.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  evilone @9    4 years ago

Funny thing is I have people tell me the same thing quite often, but in my case it comes from the hard core liberal left because I , as a right leaning conservative Independent, do not share their views.

evilone
Professor Guide
9.1.1  evilone  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @9.1    4 years ago

I can't imagine why you'd care that a "hard core liberal left"y would tell you you aren't a Liberal. LOL I'm just kidding. The far left is as logic challenged as the far right.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
9.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  evilone @9.1.1    4 years ago

Actually they tell me I am not a true American, but otherwise agreed.

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
9.2  Colour Me Free  replied to  evilone @9    4 years ago
I'm not a "True American" nor a "Real Conservative" for disagreeing …….

Damn'dit .. I am always late to the party .. we could have quite the discussion regarding this subject matter .. now mask wearing has become partisan!  I swear to my higher power .. that I am over it - partisanship is destroying this nation - has handicapped DC to the point it is amazing anything gets done … [well technically nothing is getting done]

I am who I am .. I have a dog in the fight, as I am fighting for my son's future .. that is the only reason I am not a 'lost voter'  .. well that is not totally actuate, I will always vote local and state………… 'our' choices for president SUCK!  [ scary .. once upon a time ago I thought Biden would be an excellent choice as a 1 term president ]

From 'not a true' to another 'not true' …… Peace!  Hang in there : )  It is 2020 and we have the same dysfunctional choices  .. 2016 2.0

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
10  Just Jim NC TttH    4 years ago

I don't think this comment is going to endear him to not only the Black community but a shitload of others as well. SMH

squiggy
Junior Silent
11  squiggy    4 years ago

"...the long-term impact of marijuana use on the brain.   "I know a lot of weed smokers," Biden said."

Yup.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
11.1  Ronin2  replied to  squiggy @11    4 years ago

He doesn't remember if he used weed or not. He might think he is a part of the case study.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
12  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

Try and imagine if any republican,  even a state representative , said this.  The media feeding frenzy would be insane. 

Yet since it’s the Democratic nominee, it’s just another “odd” statement, which is how how cnn headlined it.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
12.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Sean Treacy @12    4 years ago
Yet since it’s the Democratic nominee,

just like here in Michigan with the dam collapse. If it would have been a Republican that forced the dam to raise water lvl's the left wing media would be having a field day, But seeing it was the Gretch we get the old nothing to see here folks.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
12.1.1  Ronin2  replied to  KDMichigan @12.1    4 years ago

Whitless is the Michigan media's darling. They hang on her every word. Trying to give her enough free air time to influence the Biden VP committee.

No dissenting Republicans allowed air time, period.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
12.1.2  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Ronin2 @12.1.1    4 years ago

She just lifted the restrictions for northern Michigan the other day. Don't get me wrong I'm grateful and still believe we never should have been closed down like the southern Democrat strongholds need. But take a guess where the bitch is this weekend supposedly having a graduation party today?

bugsy
Professor Participates
14  bugsy    4 years ago

Today's true democrats are really coming out for all to see...

Trump: Asking doctors if disinfectant might be used as treatment for COVID

Democrats: He's telling people to drink bleach

Trump: I said it in jest.

Democrats: He didn't see it in jest, he was serious and he wants people to die by drinking bleach. Waaaaaaaaa....over a week of press coverage

Joe Biden: If you vote for Trump, you ain't black

Black Republicans: What a racist statement

Biden Spokesperson Sanders: He said it in jest

Democrat and the media: Oh, OK, nothing here, move on.

Kavanaugh and his supporters: Everything being said is not true., None of these things happened

Democrats, liberals, feminists: We need FBI checks, need to take a look at his yearbook, need to interview everybody whoever came into contact with him since kindergarten to find something....anything bad about him.

Biden: Everything being accused of me is not true

Democrats and the media: Oh, OK...nothing here..move on

Feminists: Well we believe Tara Reade, but in order to get rid of Trump, we still have to vote for Biden.

Americans have woken up to this BS, far more than the libs and the media want you to believe.

Trump already has this election in a landslide.

Biden may as well conced now to save him the trouble of remembering why he is conceding in November.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
15  seeder  KDMichigan    4 years ago

Well good old Joe apologized. He is good. just like denying raping a intern, he is good. 

All the TDS sufferers have to focus on is 'but Trump'

Speaking on a call with black business leaders, Biden described the remarks as “cavalier” and said he never meant to seem as if he was taking black voters for granted or telling them who they ought to support.
“I shouldn’t have been such a wise guy. I shouldn’t have been so cavalier,” Biden said

Gazoo
Junior Silent
15.1  Gazoo  replied to  KDMichigan @15    4 years ago

He can always blame it on dementia 😜

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
15.1.2  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Gazoo @15.1    4 years ago
He can always blame it on dementia 😜

He could and the left wing TDS sufferers would still vote for him. FFS Trump said you can grab em by the pussy when you are rich and famous and the left lost their mind, Creepy Joe does it and they don't bat a eye.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
15.3  1stwarrior  replied to  KDMichigan @15    4 years ago

squiggy
Junior Silent
16  squiggy    4 years ago

"...but I guarantee you, there are multiple black women being considered. Multiple,” Biden said of his search process for a vice presidential nominee."

He's having his own bigly moment.

squiggy
Junior Silent
16.1  squiggy  replied to  squiggy @16    4 years ago

... and this is still nowhere near free-range public speaking.

squiggy
Junior Silent
17  squiggy    4 years ago

97984157_3077754592284178_194661640275230720_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=DoOJh99ONysAX-ZJ8GT&_nc_ht=scontent.fwbw1-1.fna&oh=ddd2fd14f3583c2934a39a2567f00824&oe=5EEF700A

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
17.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  squiggy @17    4 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

TᵢG
Professor Principal
17.2  TᵢG  replied to  squiggy @17    4 years ago

LOL

squiggy
Junior Silent
18  squiggy    4 years ago

94483830_3018374938222144_8586116928714571776_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=iCP8f1szcZgAX-GQpbr&_nc_ht=scontent.fwbw1-1.fna&oh=d76f4aaa752074255635530b128ca65e&oe=5EED288F

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
18.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  squiggy @18    4 years ago

jrSmiley_40_smiley_image.gif

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
20  bbl-1    4 years ago

Diamond and Silk are black?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.1  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @20    4 years ago

No need for the question mark.

They are indeed black.

And?

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
20.1.1  seeder  KDMichigan  replied to  Texan1211 @20.1    4 years ago

I guess he believes like Creepy Joe. If you ain't on the Democrat plantation, you ain't black.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
20.2  Texan1211  replied to  bbl-1 @20    4 years ago

Just not according to Joe Biden, your hero!

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
20.2.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Texan1211 @20.2    4 years ago

I suppose Candace Owens isn’t black either nor Deneen Borelli?  Mia Love?  

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
21  Jeremy Retired in NC    4 years ago

And the left thinks the POTUS is racist.  

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
22  The Magic 8 Ball    4 years ago
Biden Says Black Voters Considering Trump Over Him "Ain't Black"

LOL :)

squiggy
Junior Silent
23  squiggy    4 years ago

poor-kids59.jpg

lib50
Professor Silent
29  lib50    4 years ago

Thanks for the morning laughs before I go off to run my errands.  Must really suck to know that no matter what gaffe Biden makes Trump will always be worse.  From lies to gaffes to total incomprehensible word vomit, Trump always wins at being offensive and incoherent. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
29.2  Texan1211  replied to  lib50 @29    4 years ago

We are so happy you are entertained.

Must suck to have people point out Joe's gaffes and ridicule them--you know, the same kind of stuff you  would be cheerleading for had the gaffes been Trump's.

squiggy
Junior Silent
29.5  squiggy  replied to  lib50 @29    4 years ago

“...Trump always wins at being offensive and incoherent.”

... and he wins elections, too.

bugsy
Professor Participates
32  bugsy    4 years ago

The Trump campaign does not even have to spend alot of money for an ad campaign this year. All they have to do is show Joe saying one or more of his dumbass remarks over the years, then just put up the Trump/Pence 2020logo at the end.

Guaranteed success.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
32.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  bugsy @32    4 years ago

“Biden doesn't know, I mean, he doesn't know he's alive,” Trump continued. “I'm against somebody. Think of it. I'm against somebody that can’t answer simple questions. I've never seen anything like it, but here's what I am against. I'm against a very powerful party, the Democrats, and they can take this glass of water and say that's your candidate.”

How can Biden be up by 11 points?