╌>

Antimalarial drug touted by President Trump is linked to increased risk of death in coronavirus patients

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  4 years ago  •  47 comments

By:    By Ariana Eunjung Cha and Laurie McGinley

Antimalarial drug touted by President Trump is linked to increased risk of death in coronavirus patients
An antimalarial drug promoted by President Trump as a “game changer” in the fight against the virus had a significantly higher risk of death compared with those who did not.

Related Seed:

Trump Says He's Taking Malaria Drug To Protect Against Virus

President Donald Trump said Monday that he is taking a malaria drug to protect against the new coronavirus, despite warnings from his own government that it should only be administered for COVID-19 in a hospital or research setting due to potentially fatal side effects.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Trump spoke about taking antimalarial drug earlier this week. (Jim Lo Scalzo/ EPA-/Shutterstock)

A study of 96,000 hospitalized coronavirus patients on six continents found that those who received an antimalarial drug promoted by President Trump as a “game changer” in the fight against the virus had a significantly higher risk of death compared with those who did not.

The study, published Friday in the medical journal the Lancet, is the largest analysis to date of the risks and benefits of treating covid-19 patients with antimalarial drugs.

The sheer size of the study was convincing to some scientists.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

A study of 96,000 hospitalized coronavirus patients on six continents found that those who received an antimalarial drug promoted by President Trump as a “game changer” in the fight against the virus had a significantly higher risk of death compared with those who did not.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1    4 years ago

Many studies seem to have indicated that it causes arrythmia and more likelihood of death than for those who don't use it.  Because of the preponderance of such evidence, the WHO has recommended against its use.  Is Trump suicidal, besides his other shortcomings?

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.1  sandy-2021492  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1    4 years ago
Is Trump suicidal

Honestly, I think that once he was all in on hydroxychloroquine, he had to be really all in.  To back down from taking it would look like weakness in his own eyes, evidence be damned.  He can't admit he was wrong.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.2  Split Personality  replied to  sandy-2021492 @1.1.1    4 years ago

WHO suspends testing HCQ.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @1.1.2    4 years ago
The Associated Press reported Saturday that the VA would not stop use of hydroxychloroquine, citing responses to Congress in which the department stated that it had never “encouraged or discouraged” the drug’s use. At the same time, AP reported, the department acknowledged that Secretary Robert Wilkie had been wrong to assert that the drug was shown as effective in younger veterans.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

The study, published Friday in the medical journal the Lancet, is the largest analysis to date of the risks and benefits of treating covid-19 patients with antimalarial drugs.

The sheer size of the study was convincing to some scientists.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Krishna @2    4 years ago

Lupus patient tests positive for Covid10

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    4 years ago

It would have been much easier and cheaper to just read the already studied listed possible side effects for these drugs. jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

Did the "EXPERT Professionals" giving out these drugs to Covid-19 patients, not take those "Side Effects" into consideration when they diagnosed EVERYTHING wrong with the patients they were treating, before doling it out ?

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @3    4 years ago
It would have been much easier and cheaper to just read the already studied listed side effects for these drugs.

Nope.

That would not be medically sound at all!!! jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1    4 years ago
Nope. That would not be medically sound at all!!!

And it would endanger not only Trump's lives, but also the lives of all Americans!!!!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @3.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.2    4 years ago

Nope... jrSmiley_55_smiley_image.gif  ...

WRONG AGAIN! jrSmiley_46_smiley_image.gif     jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.2    4 years ago
Another new "PAYDAY" is better !

Actually your comment made me think of Snickers!!!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @3.1.3    4 years ago

jrSmiley_117_smiley_image.png hurumph.....sorry.....what ?

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1.4    4 years ago

Not PAYDAY"!!! 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.7  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @3.1.6    4 years ago

Ick !

Broke a tooth on one of those blocks of granite one year.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.5    4 years ago

Guess you have no jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg opinion  jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif on that...???

jrSmiley_122_smiley_image.gif  

And meanwhile, the death rate continues to rise.... while you are apparently advocating listening to Dear Leader jrSmiley_116_smiley_image.png instead of those who actually know what they're talking about?  jrSmiley_94_smiley_image.png

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.9  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1.8    4 years ago
while you are apparently advocating listening to Dear Leader

This picture says it all:

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.10  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1.4    4 years ago

Actually your comment made me think of Snickers!!!

Just realized, some people might not recognize the reference to "Snickers" (Yes, it was meant to be an actual "Triple Endendre"):

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Krishna @3.1.9    4 years ago

Everybody around him is masked but he isn't. I know he keeps saying he always test negative....we all know that nearly 18,000 lies in 3 years makes his words a little shady.

Someone needs to remind him of why he should be wearing a mask. If he's an asymptomatic carrier he could be passing it on to every body there in that photo

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
3.1.12  XXJefferson51  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.2    4 years ago

Exactly and the point of taking that medication along with the Zithromax and zinc is to start taking it long before one ends up in the hospital.  We already knew that it is not effective once one is in ICU and that the longer into the disease one gets the less effective it is.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.13  seeder  Krishna  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.12    4 years ago
 We already knew that it is not effective 

Exactly!

(But you are aware, are you not, that he owns stock in company's that manufacturer it?)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.12    4 years ago

Are you currently taking it and zinc?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.15  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @3.1.8    4 years ago
Guess you have no opinion  on that...???

Ya missed it ?

"And meanwhile, the death rate continues to rise...."

Bomb Shelters hold Stale air, mold..... and all sorts of other "Gross' stuff. Get out in the "Sun" and enjoy.

In the Meantime, Sick Elder folks are shipped to Elder care homes in order to infect the other Elder Residences. "Space" seemed to have been a more important issue, but really wasn't needed.

Dr. Fauci: Don't worry….maybe we'll worry....we should worry now..... we're in armagedan now.

CDC: Wear a Mask... Masks don't work ….. What the heck, put on a Mask......Hard Surfaces are bad things to touch during this virus.....Hard surfaces not as bad as we thought, but be careful.

Democrats: Come to China Town and Enjoy...…. Ummmmm …… We order you to not go to China Town...…Da Respirators, Da Respirators ….. Ignore the Respirator need, etc.

Here's a couple bucks to keep your cupboards in Cheetos !

You get the gist ….. I'm sure. jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.16  seeder  Krishna  replied to  XXJefferson51 @3.1.12    4 years ago

We already knew that it is not effective

As numerous (many, many!) studies have shown!!!!

Past studies also found scant or no evidence of hydroxychloroquine’s benefit in treating sick patients, while reports mounted of dangerous heart problems associated with its use. As a result, the Food and Drug Administration last month  warned against the use of the drug  outside hospital settings or clinical trials.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.17  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Krishna @3.1.9    4 years ago

In a statement, the company said Executive Chairman Bill Ford had "encouraged" Trump to wear a mask when he arrived. "He wore a mask during a private viewing of three Ford GTs from over the years. The president later removed the mask for the remainder of the visit," the statement said

. 384

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.18  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.11    4 years ago
Someone needs to remind him of why he should be wearing a mask. If he's an asymptomatic carrier he could be passing it on to every body there in that photo

An important point that many people often forget. Often people think of a mask as a way of protecting themselves, but there's also another extremely important function of a mask.

If someone already has the virus but doesn't know it (because its in an asymptomatic stage) by wearing a mask they can also greatly lessen the possibility of transmitting it to others.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.19  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.17    4 years ago

Correct!

Yes-- wearing a mask for a short time once in a while-- but not wearing it for most of the time...obviously means he could be transmitting it most of the time! 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.20  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.1.19    4 years ago
Yes-- wearing a mask for a short time once in a while-- but not wearing it for most of the time...obviously means he could be transmitting it most of the time! 

Recently a few White Hourse staffers have come down with the Virus...its quite possible that they got it from Trump (as he doesn't wear a mask most of the time...)

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.21  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.11    4 years ago

Even if they did remind jim it wouldn't matter-- heis behaviour, (consistantly over time) is that he is interested only in himself...and not the well-being of others! :-(

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.22  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Krishna @3.1.21    4 years ago
Even if they did remind jim it wouldn't matter

Hey!!!! Leave me out of this LOL

jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.23  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1.22    4 years ago

Not you...its a different Jim.

(Probably it means North Korean leader Jim Jung Un ..???):

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1.24  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Krishna @3.1.23    4 years ago

jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif             jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.25  It Is ME  replied to  It Is ME @3.1.2    4 years ago

[Deleted]

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

When this drug was first suggest I read about a control group for testing.  Half got the drug and the other half got a placebo.  Both groups had deaths, but more occurred with those taking the drug than the placebo.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4    4 years ago

That really shouldn't be surprising...considering who was advocating the drug's use!

“It’s one thing not to have benefit, but this shows distinct harm,” said Eric Topol, a cardiologist and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute. “If there was ever was hope for this drug, this is the death of it.”

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

Let him keep taking it (if he really is). He knows what the risks are or he should know.

I do wish he would stop selling it like it's snake oil

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Trout Giggles @5    4 years ago
Let him keep taking it (if he really is). He knows what the risks are or he should know. I do wish he would stop selling it like it's snake oil

Well, again...its shouldn't be surprising, considering its the self-proclaimed medical "expert" (Donald Trump) who's pushing it!!!

David Maron, director of preventive cardiology at the Stanford University School of Medicine, said that “these findings provide absolutely no reason for optimism that these drugs might be useful in the prevention or treatment of covid-19.”

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Krishna @5.1    4 years ago

You might find this interesting:

Woman with lupus took hydroxychloroquine for 19 years, still got COVID-19

Kim, who only wants her first name used, said she has taken the anti-malarial drug for 19 years to help treat the pain caused by her lupus.

Kim said when the pandemic began, she only left her home to go to the grocery store.

She said by mid-April though, she started feeling coronavirus symptoms.

"Weak all over. Coughing, fever. The fever was very high," Kim said. "It just went downhill from there. I couldn't breathe no more."

Kim said her primary doctor prescribed antibiotics, but her conditions worsened.

She said when she went to an urgent care days later, nurses said her oxygen saturation levels were at 78 percent, when they need to be at 95 percent or higher.

Kim said after arriving at the Aurora Medical Center emergency room in Summit, she tested positive for COVID-19. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.1    4 years ago

Woman With Lupus Took Hydroxychloroquine For 19 Years, Still Got COVID-19

Thanks-- interesting post...

So Hydroxychloroquine is not only extremely dangerous-- but its also ineffective!

No wonder our brilliant Dear Leader (and stock-holder) is recommending people use it....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
5.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Krishna @5.1.2    4 years ago

Oh..but...but...I don't think she was taking the zinc with it!/sarcasm!

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Trout Giggles @5.1.3    4 years ago

LOL!

There are several things that are supposedly good for the immune system. Some are, some are not. Zinc can be helpful-- but probably less so if you are already getting a lot in your diet. (Taking mega-doses of most supplements does pose risks).

Sometimes Vegetarians are deficient, as amongst the best sources are meats, Most Seafood is an especially rich source. 

For Vegetarians, most Nuts and Seeds are mostly good sources...also Mushrooms and Cacao/Cocoa. 

That's what Western nutritionists use. In Traditional Chinese medicine, Mushrooms are considered perhaps the best food for building the Immune System in general. (Well Mushrooms and also some traditional Chinese herbal formulas...)

That being said, however, Zinc is no miracle cure for serious diseases...rather it is one of several things that can help strengthen your Immune System. (taking extra Zinc will probably have no significant effect if you come down with Covad-19)

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

If someone who took it for that long and still got CV, Trump is just wasting his time taking it.  This woman should be the ultimate proof that it is not a preventative measure.  I hope someone is keeping stats on people doing this and how many of them get sick anyway.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

I just saw a story that said Trump is not taking it any longer after approximately two weeks.  I wonder if he began suffer from side effects.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
7.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7    4 years ago

No side effects.  Just a two week preventative application of the three meds after people working in the White House caught the virus.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
7.1.1  Split Personality  replied to  XXJefferson51 @7.1    4 years ago

Total waste of time.

A woman who took the politicized anti-malarial drug for 19 years to treat lupus still contracted COVID-19

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Ty HA.  I can't see your reply here but I saw it in tracking.