╌>

Donald Trump threatens to shut down social media as Twitter starts fact-checking him

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  130 comments

By:   Jimmy McCloskey (Metro)

Donald Trump threatens to shut down social media as Twitter starts fact-checking him
Donald Trump has threatened to shut down social media networks a day after Twitter began automatically fact-checking the contents of his tweets. The President of the United States tweeted Wednesday:...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Screen-Shot-2020-05-21-at-2.22.57-PM-91c

Donald Trump has threatened to shut down social media networks a day after Twitter began automatically fact-checking the contents of his tweets. The President of the United States tweeted Wednesday: 'Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices. We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen.

'We saw what they attempted to do, and failed, in 2016. We can't let a more sophisticated version of that happen again. Just like we can't let large scale Mail-In Ballots take root in our Country. It would be a free for all on cheating, forgery and the theft of Ballots. Whoever cheated the most would win. Likewise, Social Media. Clean up your act, NOW!!!!'

President Trump hit out hours after two of his tweets claiming mail-in ballots could lead to electoral fraud were flagged as 'potentially misleading' by Twitter. The ongoing coronavirus pandemic has led to a push for the November presidential election to be held via mail-in votes, with Trump repeatedly claiming such a measure would lead to widespread-fraud.

Despite his attacks on Twitter, the micro-blogging site remains the president's preferred means of communication, and Trump regularly uses it to share his apparently unfiltered thoughts with his 80 million followers.

And President Trump hit out at social media networks for censoring him just one day after Twitter refused a stricken widowers pleas to remove tweets sent by the president suggesting that his wife had been murdered.

Since May 12, Trump has sent numerous messages falsely claiming TV host Joe Scarborough - a vociferous critic of his administration - may have killed former employee Lori Klausutis in 2001. Klausutis fell and died aged 28 while working for then Congressman Scarborough in his Florida office. An autopsy found she had been killed by an undiagnosed heart condition.

During a White House press conference on Tuesday, Trump doubled-down on the offending tweets, and even suggested Klausutis and Scarborough had been having an affair.

He said: 'A lot of people suggest that. And hopefully someday people are going to find out.' Trump also called Klausutis's death 'a very suspicious situation.'

Twitter sent Timothy Klausutis a letter apologizing for the 'pain' caused by the president's tweets, but refused to remove them. The San Francisco-headquartered corporation has allowed Trump to break its own anti-bullying and harassment rules because it is in the 'public interest' to let a global leader speak freely.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago

The wheels are falling off his tricycle

kUuht00m_normal.jpg
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Republicans feel that Social Media Platforms totally silence conservatives voices . We will strongly regulate, or close them down, before we can ever allow this to happen. We saw what they attempted to do, and failed, in 2016. We can’t let a more sophisticated version of that....

14K people are talking about this

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Your president* demands the right to lie about people on twitter. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
1.2  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

Good!  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @1.2    4 years ago

well at least you are semi honest about it

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2  FLYNAVY1    4 years ago

Trump will do anything to distract that 100,000 Americans are dead on his watch from this pandemic.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2    4 years ago

True. 

I wonder what shutting down Twitter and facebook would do for his re-election prospects though. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    4 years ago
I wonder what shutting down Twitter and facebook would do for his re-election prospects though.

Are you kidding?  What would Trump do without Twitter during those 2 am golden toilet marathon sitting sessions?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.1    4 years ago

The guy must spend a large amount of time in the bathroom...... His massive constipation and diarrhea end up in the same place clogging up Facebook and Twitter 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
2.1.3  XXJefferson51  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.1    4 years ago

Go to Parler and do it there. 

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.4  Ozzwald  replied to  XXJefferson51 @2.1.3    4 years ago

Go to Parler and do it there. 

Not enough followers on Parler to stroke his.........ego.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.2    4 years ago

Now that was a funny comment!

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.6  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.5    4 years ago

Hi Perrie...... Hope you're safe and well there.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.7  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1.6    4 years ago

Hi Fly,

Well, we finally have a stage 1 opening in Nassau County, so I guess that is good. I still have to social distance since we take care of three seniors. 

Hope you are safe where you are!

lady in black
Professor Quiet
3  lady in black    4 years ago

Once again proving he is the WORST president in the history of this country.

He can't shut down shit.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  lady in black @3    4 years ago

Who is he kidding with his latest "It's all about me" 2 yo tantrum.  He does not have the power to shut down anything.  Yo Trump, don't want to fact checked, then quit lying  ya dumb f**k.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4  Vic Eldred    4 years ago

If you read the nasty comments on Twitter (which Twitter seems to agree with) one gets the impression that the President will lose the next election. When one recalls the President's rallies, it is clear that just the opposite is true!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    4 years ago

Vic, why is Trump spending time lying about the death of the congressional staffer in Joe Scarboroughs office so long ago?

There has never been any actual controversy about her death. There was an autopsy that conclusively determined she had a heart defect and passed out and hit her head while she was alone in the office. 

I assume his insane crusade about this embarrasses you. 

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
4.1.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    4 years ago

Did you see Scarborough’s interview with Howard Stern in 2003?  

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    4 years ago

If it's NOT the truth, sue him. That fucking simple.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.1    4 years ago

Did you see the story where the results of the autopsy on the woman were laid out?

If trump wants to criticize Scarborough for something he said on a radio show 17 years ago let him go for it. 

He hasnt done that, he has said the woman was murdered by Scarborough and asked for a investigation. The widower of the woman has asked Twitter to take Trumps tweets down because they are hurtful lies. 

What in the hell is wrong with your hero XX ? 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.2    4 years ago

So you think its fine for the president of the united states to lie his ass off if he feels like it. 

thats why they are called deplorables. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.5  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  XXJefferson51 @4.1.1    4 years ago
Did you see Scarborough’s interview with Howard Stern in 2003

I think you mean the Don Imus show. 

Yes, I heard it. Imus made a joke about it and Scarborough laughed a little. Means absolutely nothing. He was most likely laughing along with the host out of politeness. 

If that is your best defense of trumps current insanity you guys are truly fucked. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.4    4 years ago

If it's a lie, sue him. That fucking simple and perhaps he would take notice and think prior to posting things like that. It's called personal responsibility for your actions. Kind of foreign to some I know but...........................

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
4.1.7  Ozzwald  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.6    4 years ago
If it's a lie, sue him.

Sure, let's relive the death of a loved one, dragging their name through the dirt and lies from Trump, just because he refuses to shut up about his latest lies and conspiracy theories.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.8  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    4 years ago
I assume his insane crusade about this embarrasses you. 

First it's not about me. It's about Twitter fact checking one and only one person. That is called BIAS!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.9  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.8    4 years ago

Fact checking him would require a small army, depending on how much he tweets. 

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.9    4 years ago

John, you can't recognize bias?  So we live in a world where everyone but one tells the truth!  I guess we should all rejoice!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.11  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.10    4 years ago

instead of constantly making excuses for the asshole, you should be embarrassed by him

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.12  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.11    4 years ago

I'm only asking you to look at the bias of Twitter!

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.1.13  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.12    4 years ago
I'm only asking you to look at the bias of Twitter!

"First, remove the beam out of your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother’s eye." - Matthew 7:5

I find it rather hilarious that conservatives only see progressive or liberal bias as "bad" but they constantly wallow in their own.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.14  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.12    4 years ago

Sometimes the truth hurts. Sad..........................

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.15  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.12    4 years ago

Is that like looking at bias on facebook?

Both companies have billions of users.

Hardly bias just because poor donald had a disclaimer put on a tweet.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.16  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.14    4 years ago

If it is their practice that threats of violence will not be allowed, then they are not allowed.

Why would some get to skirt the rules?

A private company has these rules in place and some are acting like just because it is a public figure, they should be exempt.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.17  Vic Eldred  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.14    4 years ago

Ya, there it is for all to see. There isn't much we can do about it - other than to highlight it!

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.18  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @4.1.15    4 years ago
Is that like looking at bias on facebook?

Did facebook announce it was going to fact check one individual?

Hardly bias just because poor donald 

One thing I like about Donald Trump - it's something I share with him - We deal with people face-to-face. We don't talk about people behind their backs!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.19  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.1.13    4 years ago

there is no such thing as "bias" against donald trump. it is a ludicrous concept.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.20  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.1.13    4 years ago
I find it rather hilarious that conservatives only see progressive or liberal bias as "bad"

I assume the laughter ended on Jan 20 2017.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.21  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.18    4 years ago

Does twitter only fact check him? I find that hard to believe.

donald talking face to face? Haha That is comical. Yes calling people names on twitter is doing it face to face....

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.22  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ender @4.1.16    4 years ago

Even though it was threats directed AT the person's account and it was an expose of said threats to make a point? The campaign wasn't making the threats.

What is in violation of this policy?

Under this policy, you can’t state an intention to inflict violence on a specific person or group of people. We define intent to include statements like “I will”, “I’m going to”, or “I plan to”, as well as conditional statements like “If you do X, I will”. Violations of this policy include, but are not limited to:

• threatening to kill someone; 
  • threatening to sexually assault someone;
  • threatening to seriously hurt someone and/or commit a other violent act that could lead to someone’s death or serious physical injury; and
  • asking for or offering a financial reward in exchange for inflicting violence on a specific person or group of people.

Sounds to me like it was a display of what was occurring to McConnell NOT McConnell's campaign doing the threatening. And the rule says "YOU" cannot post the above. It's not as though his own campaign was threatening him. Their house, their rules I guess. Still a bit nit picky to me.

Could be wrong............but not very often

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.23  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @4.1.21    4 years ago

You can't believe they are only fact checking everything one man says? Why not?  They are considered a "forum" not a publisher. They can do as they want.

Consider this then - From none other than "The head of Twitter site integrity" :

EZChSw9U4AAUR3t?format=jpg&name=900x900

Better still, I'll leave it to our readers!

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.24  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.22    4 years ago

It was still threats of violence was it not? Still against policy. And THEY did post the threats.

Again, against policy. It doesn't matter who the threats were against.

That is just looking for any excuse. They could have tweeted to look at their campaign page to see the videos and linked to it but no. It was better for them to say they are being discriminated against to rile up their base with baseless accusations.

And again, it is nitpicking and trying to skirt the rules in place, then scream bias when the rules are enforced.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.25  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.23    4 years ago

So you only believe that they are only fact checking donald....

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.26  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ender @4.1.24    4 years ago

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.27  Vic Eldred  replied to  Ender @4.1.25    4 years ago
So you only believe that they are only fact checking donald....

Have you heard them say they wee fact checking anyone else?

Ya, that is what I believe. They didn't want to shut down his account, they didn't want to look biased. So now they are part of the resistance. They are going to try and counter whatever he says. You know how that goes. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.1.28  1stwarrior  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.19    4 years ago

BBBBBBRRRRRUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAA jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Man, I want some of what you have for breakfast every day John - good one - really good one.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.29  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.26    4 years ago

What does that have to do with videos of threats of violence? Hint, nothing.

Also if reported those verbal threats get taken down.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.30  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ender @4.1.29    4 years ago

Who the hell said the policy only had to do with video? Hint. No one.

Also if reported those verbal threats get taken down.

Really? Do tell...........................

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.31  Ender  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.27    4 years ago

Since it is a new feature we will see. I hardly believe it will start and stop with this one account.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.32  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.30    4 years ago

That is what the McConnell account was about. What we were talking about and you decided to expand with verbal threats. Which get taken down as well.

So still no point.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.33  Tessylo  replied to  1stwarrior @4.1.28    4 years ago

I prefer that over the PCP which tRump supporters appear to prefer.  

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.34  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.30    4 years ago
Really? Do tell...........................

So are you going to say they let verbal threats stand and never suspend any accounts?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.35  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ender @4.1.34    4 years ago

Nope. And don't put words in my mouth  errrr keyboard if you please. Thanks.

To expand on Vic's post................

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.36  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.20    4 years ago
'I assume the laughter ended on Jan 20 2017.'

It was only the beginning 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.37  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.27    4 years ago

Why wouldn't they fact check all their users if they were posting lies/distortions/conspiracy theories?

pat wilson
Professor Participates
4.1.38  pat wilson  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.14    4 years ago

So the man who proudly calls himself The Grim Reaper and approves the public display of gravestones with the names of his political opponents is upset because people call him names and yell mean things at his house from a public road.  Sad.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.39  Tessylo  replied to  pat wilson @4.1.38    4 years ago

Sounds like that supporter is just as thin skinned and a snowflake like this 'president' 

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.40  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.35    4 years ago

I don't have to. Your words are there for all to see.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
4.1.41  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Ender @4.1.40    4 years ago

Weak.........and again, nothing of value. Have a good day now.

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.42  Ender  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.41    4 years ago

No, you were wrong and now are going to call no value.

Not my problem some cannot accept certain things.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.1.43  Vic Eldred  replied to  pat wilson @4.1.38    4 years ago

The Grim Reaper was the name Pelosi gave to Senate Leader Mitch McConnell for burying her partisan progressive legislation.

Dulay
Professor Expert
4.1.45  Dulay  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.8    4 years ago
It's about Twitter fact checking one and only one person. That is called BIAS!

Then it's about noting because Trump isn't the ONLY person that Twitter has fact checked. 

As with the differentiation in NT's CoC, the fact check was of Trump's COMMENT, not Trump.  

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Vic Eldred @4    4 years ago
If you read the nasty comments on Twitter

Most are coming from this President. He's pushing completely false conspiracy theories and regurgitating debunked right wing rhetoric which is all his low IQ sycophants can apparently want.

one gets the impression that the President will lose the next election

That's because that fact is self evident, the majority of Americans do not want this dishonest piece of shit as President.

When one recalls the President's rallies

...they have to wash themselves after feeling so dirty. Sure, are is there a poorly educated base that shows up at every Trump rally? Of course, but they do not represent the majority of Americans. The only possible way for Trump to win in November is to repeat the narrow skin of the teeth win ion those same swing States he won in 2016 which simply isn't going to happen. This time around he will lose the popular vote by more than 10 million instead of just 3 million like last time so the 107,000 votes in those three swing States aren't going to be enough to save his sorry lying ass.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.2    4 years ago
That's because that fact is self evident,

Anytime you want to wager, I'm here. You may want to talk to Iggy first,,,,,

instead of just 3 million like last time

That was tough to take, wasn't it?

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
4.2.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.2.1    4 years ago
Anytime you want to wager, I'm here.

The wager is already set. If your candidate wins we'll see four more years of winter with a complete moron running things. If the candidate I vote for wins we'll get this country back on track by having an administration that supports justice, freedom and equality for all regardless of race, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, faith or lack thereof.

That was tough to take, wasn't it?

Whenever the will of the majority is overturned by bitter partisans who just want to burn everything down it certainly makes things harder for rational sane patriots.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
4.2.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.2.2    4 years ago

That's too bad. Iggy had enough guts to bet me, a few years ago, that Trump would be removed from office before the end of his term. That was before the BS Mueller Report. The bet - 6 months self imposed suspension.

Now that took guts!

freepress
Freshman Silent
5  freepress    4 years ago

Trump never met a fact he liked so he makes up his own.

Ender
Professor Principal
6  Ender    4 years ago

Comical to see conservatives that hate regulations either silent on this or trying to deflect.

Stop regulating companies, it will stop growth!

Regulate this company, they put a disclaimer up!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @6    4 years ago

And the free speech supporters here all shouting hallelujah on having the president shut down Twitter and Face Book.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

We are in new territory on this. We never had a president who tweeted before. In the past, if the president said something in the press, there was time to respond by other outlets to fact check, and they did. 

But twitter moves at a much faster speed. I am not sure how one would handle this. It's a brand new world and we have to figure out our way through it. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7    4 years ago

Obama wasn't even allowed to carry a cell phone, due to national security concerns.

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
7.1.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1    4 years ago

And because he didn't have his teleprompter with him.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
7.1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  1stwarrior @7.1.1    4 years ago
And because he didn't have his teleprompter with him.

No Trump supporter should be able to bring up anything about teleprompters without being called an utter hypocrite.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @7.1    4 years ago

This 'president' has been using an unsecured cell phone the whole time.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Trump puts the dick in wanna be dictator.

JBB
Professor Principal
8.1  JBB  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8    4 years ago

He puts the tater in tator salad. Dick Tator Salad.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

Trump threatens to 'strongly regulate' or 'close down' social media platforms after Twitter fact check

Wait a second, I thought only I was living in a country that censors media that criticizes its leaders.

XXJefferson51
Senior Guide
9.1  XXJefferson51  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9    4 years ago

[deleted]

Ender
Professor Principal
9.2  Ender  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9    4 years ago

Almost comical. What some complain about in other countries, they would be willing to let happen here.

Just because donald said so.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
9.2.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Ender @9.2    4 years ago

Trump is opposed to the censorship. 

"Big Tech is doing everything in their very considerable power to CENSOR in advance of the 2020 Election. If that happens, we no longer have our freedom. I will never let it happen! They tried hard in 2016, and lost. Now they are going absolutely CRAZY. Stay Tuned!!!"   Donald Trump

Ender
Professor Principal
9.2.2  Ender  replied to  Dean Moriarty @9.2.1    4 years ago

So you call being opposed to censorship threatening to shut down or regulate a private social media company....

He was never censored.

Repeat...He was never censored....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Dean Moriarty @9.2.1    4 years ago

Twitter is just wanting to make sure that what the Chicken-Shit-Coward-in-Chief says is accurate. Lordy knows that he certainly can't look up his own facts.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9.2.4  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @9.2.2    4 years ago

was cnn fact checked on russia russia russia?  

have they written a retraction and apologized for spreading those lies?

Ender
Professor Principal
9.2.5  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @9.2.4    4 years ago

Is the moon made out of cheese?

She I can ask off topic questions too.

By the way...

President Donald Trump is expected to sign an executive order aimed at social media companies Thursday, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany told reporters Wednesday evening, a move that comes as the president and his allies have escalated their allegations that companies like Twitter and Facebook stifle GOP voices.

Early Wednesday morning, he had vowed to "strongly regulate" biased social media companies, or even "close them down."

Link

So this is what you want? What you are going to champion?

This sounds like the government regulating social media, just like in china.

Sad day when conservatives champion oppression.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9.2.6  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @9.2.5    4 years ago
This sounds like the government regulating social media,

as it should be.

tech companies do not run our country,  and they never will.

some "fact-checker" said - is not a valid argument

Ender
Professor Principal
9.2.7  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @9.2.6    4 years ago

Wow, just wow.

So yes you are going to fall on the sword and promote government regulation of social media platforms. You would willingly let the government dictate what speech is allowed.

Guess what, with a stance like this you no longer have a leg to stand on when complaining about the Chinese government regulating social media, as you want the same.

Willingly give up free speech rights just for donald.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9.2.8  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @9.2.7    4 years ago
Willingly give up free speech rights just for donald.

jack dorsey can say what ever the fuk he likes on his own twitter feed.

@jack and his minions are not qualified to fact check political opponents.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9.2.9  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @9.2.7    4 years ago
You would willingly let the government dictate what speech is allowed.

I will not willingly let social media dictate what political speech is allowed. 

when you figure out the difference between your statement and mine?  get back to me.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9.2.10  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @9.2.7    4 years ago
when complaining about the Chinese government regulating social media,

epic what-about-ism failure.     

china does not just regulate social media,    china just bans it altogether.

is trump trying to ban access to twitter?       no, he is not.

Ender
Professor Principal
9.2.11  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @9.2.8    4 years ago

And he does not do it himself. He holds no political office. He is the CEO of a private company.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9.2.12  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @9.2.11    4 years ago
He is the CEO of a private company.

and as a ceo of a private company?

targeting political opponents under the guise of "fact check" aint gonna cut it.

when @ jack fact checks cnns coverage of russia russia russia?    let us know he is being unbiased

Ender
Professor Principal
9.2.13  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @9.2.10    4 years ago

China does not ban social media, they have their own version of twitter.

Get your facts straight.

There is a difference between government control and what a private enterprise allows on their platform.

Either you are being willfully obtuse or you don't actually know the difference.

Or just don't care.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9.2.14  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @9.2.13    4 years ago
they have their own version of twitter.

LOL yepp. because they don't like the idea of free speech in that country

is trump making jack build a new version of twitter for the usa?

Ender
Professor Principal
9.2.15  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @9.2.12    4 years ago

When he is not a politician, he is not a political opponent. Stop with the unfounded hyperbole.

Why the hell would twitter fact check CNN news?

I am starting to think some of donald's followers are as stupid as he is.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9.2.16  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @9.2.13    4 years ago
Or just don't care.

anyone who uses their business to go after political opponents needs a regulatory boot shoved firmly up their ass.

Ender
Professor Principal
9.2.17  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @9.2.14    4 years ago

Look in your own mirror and see what you are championing.

I guess that is too much to ask.

Instead blame others for what they themselves are doing.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9.2.18  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @9.2.15    4 years ago
Why the hell would twitter fact check CNN news?

because cnn is more full of shit than any other outlet.

russia russia russia, nothing but complete bs. from the word go.

when they get fact checked by @jack?     @ jack can claim he is unbiased.

Ender
Professor Principal
9.2.19  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @9.2.16    4 years ago

I guess you need to go after Citizens United then.

Companies are people too.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9.2.20  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @9.2.17    4 years ago

sorry to break the news but your opinion about other people, or even me, does not matter one little bit. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9.2.21  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @9.2.19    4 years ago
I guess you need to go after Citizens United then.

awww.....    do they need fact checked too? 

tell ya who needs fact checked.... 

every democrat who said under oath there was no russia collusion but in public told you the exact opposite

and you believed them... hook line and sinker.

LOL

Ender
Professor Principal
9.2.22  Ender  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @9.2.21    4 years ago

You can continue on and talk to yourself.

I am no longer going to engage in idiocy.

We all know where your fascist views lie...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.2.23  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @9.2.19    4 years ago

Citizens United is not a business.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9.2.24  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Ender @9.2.22    4 years ago
I am no longer going to engage

then stop replying to me with nothing but bs comparisons and what-about-isms

cant take the heat? get out of the kitchen

do yourself a big favor

hit that ignore button like ya mean it.  and never speak to me again.

Ender
Professor Principal
9.2.25  Ender  replied to  Texan1211 @9.2.23    4 years ago

Derp.

Is it not about business or companies?...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
9.2.26  Texan1211  replied to  Ender @9.2.25    4 years ago
Is it not about business or companies?...

Seems like you should at least know what its about before commenting.

You let me know when CU becomes a business, or are you content comparing apples to spaghetti?

Derp.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.2.27  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @9.2.10    4 years ago
"china does not just regulate social media,    china just bans it altogether."

Bans it altogether?  What are these?  You're a little short on checking your "facts". 

6 CHINESE SOCIAL MEDIA SITES YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9.2.28  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.2.27    4 years ago

no one said china did not have social media sites it allows...

they ban social media they don't approve of. or can not control

this video explains it well enough.  that is, if you are allowed to watch it... LOL

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
9.2.29  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @9.2.28    4 years ago

Nice try, 8-ball, but no cigar.  What's your next "China fact"?  The police welded everyone's apartment doors shut so the occupants couldn't break the lockdown?

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
9.2.30  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @9.2.29    4 years ago

first I would like to thank you for the thoughtful comments about the info contained in that video.... LOL  (as if)

What's your next "China fact"?  The police welded everyone's apartment doors shut so the occupants couldn't break the lockdown?

go play with your imagination elsewhere.. I am not interested.

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.2.31  Dulay  replied to  Dean Moriarty @9.2.1    4 years ago
Trump is opposed to the censorship. 

Trump wasn't censored, he was fact checked and THAT is what he opposes. 

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
9.2.32  1stwarrior  replied to  Dulay @9.2.31    4 years ago

Talk about bigotry - Twitter???  Fact checking????  The President???  Did they fact-check AOC???  Did they fact-check Schumer???  Did they fact-check DeNiro??  Did they fact-check Kimmel???  Such a two-faced action - but, then again, what else would one expect from social media?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.2.33  Trout Giggles  replied to  1stwarrior @9.2.32    4 years ago

Maybe fact checking trmp will set a precedent for fact checking everyone. And maybe Twitter focused on trmp because he has more followers and the stuff he was tweeting was not only misleading but could have a deleterious effect on the November elections....like nobody votes!

Dulay
Professor Expert
9.2.34  Dulay  replied to  1stwarrior @9.2.32    4 years ago
Talk about bigotry - Twitter??? 

This isn't about intolerance of a 'difference of opinion' 1st. It's about FACTS vs LIES.

Note that not one member, including you, have defended the content of Trump's tweet. Based on the comments here and in every other venue I have reviewed, everyone knows that Trump's tweet is FALSE. 

It begs the question: Why does Trump believe that he needs to LIE about mail in voting and WHY do his supporters insist that he should have an unfettered 'right' to intentionally mislead the public? 

lib50
Professor Silent
9.2.35  lib50  replied to  1stwarrior @9.2.32    4 years ago

Wow. [Deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.2.36  Tessylo  replied to  lib50 @9.2.35    4 years ago

They cannot stand having their lies exposed.  

MrFrost
Professor Expert
10  MrFrost    4 years ago
V4LiMbde_bigger.jpg
Mr Frost
100,000+ Americans dead in less than 4 months.
Black people being murdered in the streets.
40 million people out of work.
The economy in a free fall.
And our POTUS?
Raging because Twitter posted facts against his lies.
Trump is an epic failure.
7:59 AM · May 28, 2020

It Is ME
Masters Guide
10.1  It Is ME  replied to  MrFrost @10    4 years ago

1. 100,000+ Americans dead in less than 4 months. = An Unknown "SICK" thing" even the CDC, W.H.O, or any other Health organization on the Planet can't solve.
2. Black people being murdered in the streets. = What's Different ?
3. 40 million people out of work. = See State Governors "Problem Solving" skills (Lock up) !
4. The economy in a free fall. = See Number 1 and 3.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
11  The Magic 8 Ball    4 years ago

the mainstream media are the ones requiring fact checks.

3 yrs of lies from the likes of cnn and nytimes.

russia, russia, russia,

mainstream media is the biggest bs conspiracy theory organization EVER

lib50
Professor Silent
11.1  lib50  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @11    4 years ago

Russia is wondering if Trump is too crazy after putting him in office. One thing to take the US down (as planned).  But he's too batshit even for them.

Veronica
Professor Guide
12  Veronica    4 years ago

Huh,  his comments were not deleted, so where was he censored?

People on here that have been bitching about the rights of business (Hobby Lobby for example) are now OK with the government forcing private companies to do their bidding - good to know that all their blather has been bull shit from the beginning. 

evilone
Professor Guide
12.1  evilone  replied to  Veronica @12    4 years ago
...good to know that all their blather has been bull shit from the beginning. 

The whole "Do as I say. Not as I do." think never worked with me when my mother tried it. It's seriously not going to work with me when some 'winger populist tries it.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.2  Texan1211  replied to  Veronica @12    4 years ago
eople on here that have been bitching about the rights of business (Hobby Lobby for example) are now OK with the government forcing private companies to do their bidding

Sorry, but our government has long dictated to businesses. This isn't new.

good to know that all their blather has been bull shit from the beginning. 

Since you brought Hobby Lobby up, do you feel as though government was dictating to them? Or is that different because you liked what the government was trying to make them do?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
12.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Texan1211 @12.2    4 years ago

Reminds me of a story about some bakery and a pizza place........................................I think many, especially here, liked what they were told to do.......as a private business no matter how they wanted to conduct THEIR businesses..

Veronica
Professor Guide
12.2.2  Veronica  replied to  Texan1211 @12.2    4 years ago

I am a firm believer that a business should be able to run their business as they see fit so long as it does not bring harm to their employees, the environment or the community around them.  I did not agree with Hobby Lobby's position on BC and I do not support them by shopping there.  

If you supported Hobby Lobby then you should support Twitter for running their business the way they see as beneficial to themselves.  They did NOT sensor him - his tweets remained - they simply added a link to see more on the issue - the people did not have to click on it.

Veronica
Professor Guide
12.2.3  Veronica  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @12.2.1    4 years ago

I believe that those types of places will bring about there own downfall - don't need to be regulated over those types of things.  BUT I find it amusing you support those types of business but not Twitter for doing what is in their best interests & support their right to their beliefs.  You call that censorship.  Which it is not because his Tweets are STILL there.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.2.4  Texan1211  replied to  Veronica @12.2.2    4 years ago
I am a firm believer that a business should be able to run their business as they see fit so long as it does not bring harm to their employees, the environment or the community around them.  I did not agree with Hobby Lobby's position on BC and I do not support them by shopping there. 

I have seen no evidence that Hobby Lobby's company policies harmed anyone or the communities they are in. Your shopping choices are yours alone to make.

If you supported Hobby Lobby then you should support Twitter for running their business the way they see as beneficial to themselves.

Conversely, if you supported government telling HL how to run its business, then you should support the government telling Twitter how to run its business.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
12.2.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Veronica @12.2.3    4 years ago

Where did I say I support them......? All I did was point out a touch of hypocrisy.

Veronica
Professor Guide
12.2.6  Veronica  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @12.2.5    4 years ago

Beep beep beep - that is the sound of you backing up.

Veronica
Professor Guide
12.2.7  Veronica  replied to  Texan1211 @12.2.4    4 years ago
I have seen no evidence that Hobby Lobby's company policies harmed anyone or the communities they are in. Your shopping choices are yours alone to make.

I did not say they did.  I said "a business".  And yes it is my choice not to shop there - just like it is Trump's choice NOT to Tweet since he doesn't like the way they run THEIR business.  HE WAS NOT CENSORED - his Tweets remain.

SO instead of accepting or rejecting whether my statement you deflect - done talking to you.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
12.2.8  Texan1211  replied to  Veronica @12.2.7    4 years ago

I didn't deflect anything, but I get that some folks get  upset once they step out of their bubble.

Sure. Trump can stop tweeting if he chooses, just like people weren't forced to work at HL if they didn't like their company policies.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
12.2.9  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Veronica @12.2.6    4 years ago
Beep beep beep - that is the sound of you backing up.

Nope.