╌>

Investigation launched into Central Park incident involving white woman and black man

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  48 comments

By:   AARON KATERSKY ABC News

Investigation launched into Central Park incident involving white woman and black man

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

ABC News

AARON KATERSKY

ABC News May 27, 2020, 12:06 PM EDT

dog-01-as-ht-200526_hpMain_16x9_992.jpg

New York   City's Commission on Human Rights launched an investigation Wednesday into the incident involving a woman who called police after encountering a black man while   walking her dog in Central Park .

The commission sent a letter to the woman, Amy Cooper, requesting her cooperation.

MORE: White dog owner fired after calling 911 on black man in viral-video leash-law dispute

"At a time when the devastating impacts of racism in Black communities have been made so painfully clear -- from racial disparities in COVID-19 outcomes, to harassment of essential workers on the front lines -- it is appalling to see these types of ugly threats directed at one New Yorker by another," said Sapna V. Raj, Deputy Commissioner of the Law Enforcement Bureau at the NYC Commission on Human Rights.

dog-03-as-ht-200526_hpEmbed_11x6_608.jpg

PHOTO: This screen shot from a video shows the moment a woman called the police on Chris Cooper in Central Park and told them 'An African American man is threatening me.' (Chris Cooper)

"Efforts to intimidate Black people by threatening to call law enforcement draw on a long, violent and painful history, and they are unacceptable."

The commission said it learned of the incident from the video recorded by Christian Cooper, an African American bird-watcher, who asked Amy Cooper, who is white, to put a leash on her dog. She responded by threatening to call the police.

"I'm going to tell them there's an African American man threatening my life," she is heard on video saying.

MORE: Central Park confrontation sparks outrage overnight

The commission has the authority to fine violators of the law and can award compensatory damages to victims, including emotional distress damages and other benefits. It can also order trainings on the NYC Human Rights Law, changes to policies, and develop restorative justice relief such as community service and mediated apologies, in lieu of or in addition to fines and monetary relief.

dog-01-as-ht-200526_hpMain_16x9_608.jpg

PHOTO: This screen shot from a video shows the moment a woman called the police on Chris Cooper in Central Park and told them 'An African American man is threatening me.' (Chris Cooper)

Cooper has been fired from her job at the investment firm Franklin Templeton. The Central Park Civic Association has called for her to be banned from the park.

"The Central Park Civic Association condemns this behavior and is calling on Mayor de Blasio to impose a lifetime ban on this lady for her deliberate, racial misleading of law enforcement and violating behavioral guidelines set so that all can enjoy our city's most famous park," Association president Michael Fischer said.

Investigation launched into Central Park incident involving white woman and black man   originally appeared on   abcnews.go.com

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

"Efforts to intimidate Black people by threatening to call law enforcement draw on a long, violent and painful history, and they are unacceptable."

The commission said it learned of the incident from the video recorded by Christian Cooper, an African American bird-watcher, who asked Amy Cooper, who is white, to put a leash on her dog. She responded by threatening to call the police.

"I'm going to tell them there's an African American man threatening my life," she is heard on video saying.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

I am surprised that she didn't use the N word instead of AAM.  She is probably saving that for her other racist friends.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

Why wasn't she arrested?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Tessylo @2    4 years ago

Makes me almost believe in karma!  She lost her job, she lost her dog, and she just might lose some money or even her freedom temporarily.....

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1    4 years ago

She will most likely get a fine and probation if the Da chooses to pursue this.  Right now, most of the courts are either closed or on minimal operation.  They most likely have a bad backlog of trials that involves some serious felonies.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.2  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @2    4 years ago
Why wasn't she arrested?

Both of them were gone when the police arrived.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @2    4 years ago

People are arrested when they have committed a felony or if they are committing a misdemeanor and refuse to stop, or police think they can’t safely be allowed to be free (like if they’re really drunk or something). There doesn’t seem to be a need to arrest anyone in this case.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @2.3    4 years ago

For falsely saying the man was trying to harm her?

Nasty bitch.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.2  Tacos!  replied to  Tessylo @2.3.1    4 years ago

I agree she was probably a bitch. Would you like to just execute her now? Is there any punishment that is too much?

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3.3  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @2.3    4 years ago

People are arrested when they have committed a felony or if they are committing a misdemeanor and refuse to stop, or police think they can’t safely be allowed to be free (like if they’re really drunk or something). There doesn’t seem to be a need to arrest anyone in this case.

Falsely filing a police report is not a crime?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.4  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @2.3.3    4 years ago
Falsely filing a police report is not a crime?

Do you see her filing a police report? I don’t. 

And even if something she did was criminal, it probably doesn’t rise to the level of requiring an arrest.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.3.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tacos! @2.3.4    4 years ago

Isn't a misdemeanor usually greeted with a ticket and order to appear? Like speeding?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.6  Tacos!  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.3.5    4 years ago

Yeah, arrests for misdemeanors are the exception, rather than the rule. Speeding is even easier. It’s an infraction. Technically not a crime in that you won’t go to jail for it.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.3.7  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Ozzwald @2.3.3    4 years ago

Not in their world.  

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3.8  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @2.3.4    4 years ago
Do you see her filing a police report? I don’t. 

Watch the video again.  She called the police and stated an African-American was threatening her.  That is all it takes.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3.9  Ozzwald  replied to  Tessylo @2.3.7    4 years ago
Not in their world. 

Apparently.  A lot of spinning to try and excuse an obvious a$$hat.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.10  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @2.3.8    4 years ago
She called the police and stated an African-American was threatening her.

She clearly felt threatened. We don't have to agree that she was actually in danger.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.11  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @2.3.9    4 years ago
A lot of spinning to try and excuse an obvious a$$hat.

Who is trying to excuse her?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.3.12  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tacos! @2.3.10    4 years ago

You know what I find amazing with the comments on here and the supposed racism is the fact that if the guy had left and the cops showed up, one of the first questions they would ask is "Can you describe the man who you feel threatened you?" what do you think would have been part of her answer? ................Yep 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.3.13  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.3.12    4 years ago

I agree with you Jim. I think he should have stayed around and shown the cops the video. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.14  Tacos!  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.3.12    4 years ago
one of the first questions they would ask is "Can you describe the man who you feel threatened you?" what do you think would have been part of her answer?

Yeah, but I have to agree with those who see her using racism as a weapon here. She latched on to him being black right away. She figured it would get special attention from police, and she figured he knew it too. (and she might be right)

Otherwise, she wouldn't have announced that she would be making that point in her call. She would have just said "I'm going to call the cops and tell them a man is threatening me." (actually, that's a form of sexism, but that's a whole other topic)

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.3.15  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tacos! @2.3    4 years ago

The city DA can still chose to prosecute.

CB
Professor Principal
2.3.16  CB  replied to  Tacos! @2.3.10    4 years ago

Yes, by the dog? Because if given the choice or clear chance it would have torn into her butt!

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.17  Tacos!  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.3.15    4 years ago

Oh absolutely! A lot of people who are charged with crimes, though, don't go to jail right off.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3.18  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @2.3.10    4 years ago
She clearly felt threatened.

Watch the video again, she was never approached within 10 feet, and she told him that she would do this if he didn't leave her alone, not in a fearful way.

Why are you going out of your way to defend this racist?  She was wrong, everybody who has seen the video knows she is wrong, yet you are trying to excuse her actions.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
2.3.19  Tacos!  replied to  Ozzwald @2.3.18    4 years ago
Watch the video again, she was never approached within 10 feet, and she told him that she would do this if he didn't leave her alone, not in a fearful way.

I didn't say she felt her life was in danger. I said she felt threatened. If have to go into detail, I'd guess (and we have to guess because we can't read her mind) that she felt her privacy and personal dignity were being threatened. He was going to embarrass her and she was desperate to stop it.

Why are you going out of your way to defend this racist?

Ummm lemme think about that.

. . . 

[Deleted] I don't defend racism or racists.

you are trying to excuse her actions

That's a lie. I haven't tried to excuse any of her actions.

I'll tell you something, I see this quite a bit on this site where people do what you are doing here. You come on here and just try to attack people for saying something they didn't say or supporting something they don't support all so you can act morally superior by condemning it. It's a straw man, but more to the point, it's bullshit and it's evil. I think you should be ashamed of yourself for such a tactic.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.3.20  Ozzwald  replied to  Tacos! @2.3.19    4 years ago
I didn't say she felt her life was in danger. I said she felt threatened.

Well, then we disagree.  To me she never appeared "frightened", just indignant that someone would request she obey the law.

If have to go into detail, I'd guess (and we have to guess because we can't read her mind) that she felt her privacy and personal dignity were being threatened.

In a public park by requesting she follow the posted rules?

He was going to embarrass her and she was desperate to stop it.

Embarrass her in front of her dog?  Video showed no one else around.

Nope, the only response I think is appropriate is to suggest you go fuck yourself. I don't defend racism or racists.

No need to get insulting and personal.

Do you not feel her call to the police was racist in nature?  She specifically pointed out, several times, that he was African-American.  Is that something a normal person would do?

That's a lie. I haven't tried to excuse any of her actions.

You are claiming her actions were motivated by fear, yet at no time during the video did she show any fear, just indignation that this person would dare address her.

You come on here and just try to attack people for saying something they didn't say or supporting something they don't support all so you can act morally superior by condemning it.

So if you say something that I disagree with, you feel that I should not address and just ignore anything you say?  You do understand that the name of this sight is NewsTALKERS, correct?  I have never claimed you said anything that was wrong, just that I disagree with it and provided evidence to support my side.  YOU'RE the one throwing insults around. 

Maybe you can sign a executive order preventing anyone from disagreeing with you too.

It's a straw man, but more to the point, it's bullshit and it's evil.

I don't think the definition of "straw man" is what you think it is.

CB
Professor Principal
2.3.21  CB  replied to  Ozzwald @2.3.20    4 years ago
Well, then we disagree.  To me she never appeared "frightened", just indignant that someone would request she obey the law.

That woman was not threatened. Fearful people retreat to a place of safety. As you can see, she stood her ground, and but for the dog being agitated, her hands being free of it, she probably would have encroached upon him.

Here is the proof of it: Her employer fired her. They did not bite her "cheesy" and ridiculous performance. The climate of race relations, the stupidity of her disrespecting her dog, the clear wrong and verbal assault she inflicted on another person, made the public and those who control her income want her 'gone.'

Now then, her true "threat" is being unemployed and job-hunting in the time of Covid-19.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

This is true. 

Years ago, when I was a reg teacher, I took my 4th graders to park to go to the zoo and visit the very famous carousel. My students were mostly black with a few Latino children. We finished off at the zoo and went to the carousel to get a ride and some ice cream. The kids got on the carousel and started to mount the various horses. Now only a few go up and down, and so they are the most desirable. One of my girls got on an up and down one, and she was getting herself strapped in when literally a woman came up to her and shoved her off the horse (she fell to the ground, thank goodness she was not hurt) and put her kid on it. I saw the whole thing since I was checking the kids straps and I was right behind this horse, and I told her to get her kid off that horse or I was going to get a cop for physically assaulting my kid. She looked confused when I said "my kid" but said it never happened and refused and I got the carousel operator to get a cop (who was stationed in the area). I told the cop what happened and he asked me if she was my daughter (since I said she was my kid) and I said, no my student and asked the carousel operator if he has seen it happen (he said yes and agreed with me). The cop threw the mom and the kid out of the park with her yelling and screaming. I still can't get over the gall that she thought she could get away with that. 

CB
Professor Principal
4  CB    4 years ago

This activity is so disgusting on multiple levels. I hardly know where to begin reaching into this. I could say, she is generationally removed from this line of 'attack.' But, then I would have to ask where or from whom she learned it. Moreover, there is the matter of this woman has the audacity to tell the man her 'plans for him' while he is filming her!

Hollywood call my agent! A "Made for TV" moment.

CB
Professor Principal
5  CB    4 years ago

There is the issue of white privilege being applied too! She broke out into the 'escalating tears' and sounds of a tussle which is supposed to 'activate' 911 agents into action and staying on line until help arrives. I am not sure if the black man was there when the police arrived (and/or if he was accosted).

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6  Sparty On    4 years ago

They need to investigate the death threats she's getting as well.

[deleted]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @6    4 years ago

I guess you reap what you sow eh sparty?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @6.1    4 years ago

?? What do you mean??

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.2  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.1    4 years ago

The death threats.

Duh.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Sparty On  replied to  Tessylo @6.1.2    4 years ago

The death threats.

Duh.

I didn't make any death threats.   Did you?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6.1.4  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.3    4 years ago

[Deleted]

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @6    4 years ago

I don't want her dead.  I want her to stay alive and think about the mess she created for herself.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7  Tacos!    4 years ago
The Central Park Civic Association condemns this behavior and is calling on Mayor de Blasio to impose a lifetime ban on this lady

Lifetime? For her whole, entire life she should be banned from all parks?

You could murder or rape someone in the park and I bet they would not ban you for life after you got out of prison.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1  JohnRussell  replied to  Tacos! @7    4 years ago

Banning her for life seems sort of silly.  It wasnt that big of a deal. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    4 years ago

I'd say it was that big a deal.  

Tacos!
Professor Guide
7.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    4 years ago

I mean, I think she’s kind of a racist, entitled bitch, but some of the stuff I’m hearing about punishing her is a little over the top.

Christian Cooper is asking people to stop making death threats against the woman who called the cops on him

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.3  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @7.1.2    4 years ago

Well maybe she won't be such a racist entitled bitch anymore 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.4  JohnRussell  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.1    4 years ago

Not a big enough deal to ban her from the park for life.  I dont agree with that at all. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.5  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.4    4 years ago

To each their own.  I'm sure she can be a bigot lots of other places.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1    4 years ago

I think the dog would disagree.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.7  CB  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.4    4 years ago

John she stated:

"I'm going to tell them there's an African American man threatening my life," she is heard on video saying

She directly 'threatened' him with deliberate intent. Then she proceeded to carry out the action of doing just that! This, life and limb are in danger, is known in the community as how you get a police officer to come immediately (sirens blaring even) and possibly with guns drawn.

She viciously escalated this scene all out of proportions, looking for an effect. Whether she fully comprehended all depth of actions available to police in her fabricated scenario, death of the black man was certainly a possibility.

In effect, she was warning this black that her "performance' was designed to get him either arrested or shot to death! She should be banned for an indefinite period of time, even up to a lifetime. Cities can do it too.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
7.1.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.4    4 years ago

I just want her banned from ever owning another dog.