╌>

Sure Are A Bunch Of Supergeniuses Packing Together For 'Race Car'

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  27 comments

The people at the racetrack all seemed vaguely aware that the pandemic isn't over, but they're largely over the pandemic, and just don't want to think about it anymore. So they probably wouldn't have cared that in the week prior to the race, North Carolina's COVID-19 hospitalizations were actually increasing — from 481 on May 16, to 589 on Saturday, May 23, the day of the festivities. Since then, the number of current hospitalizations statewide is up to 702, as of yesterday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Wonkette   by   Doktor Zoom

img.jpg?width=980

Over Memorial Day weekend, a small North Carolina race track   opened up for stock car races,   drawing a capacity crowd of more than 4,000 spectators, and ignoring the state's public health rules because county officials gave the go-ahead.   Raleigh News & Observer   reporter Andrew Carter wrote a   hell of a good feature story   about the return to what a lot of the people there wanted to call "normal," as the racing season finally got underway at that Ace Speedway in Altamahaw, after a two-month delay. This isn't a big old NASCAR venue, just a little local track, a four-tenths of a mile oval. Most of the people Carter spoke to said they'd been cooped up for too long, and so it's time for everybody to get back to business, but safely. If "safely" means cramming close together and yelling loudly over all the engine noise, which is a   super-efficient way for the virus to spread.

The people at the racetrack all seemed vaguely aware that the pandemic isn't over, but they're largely over the pandemic, and just don't want to think about it anymore. So they probably wouldn't have cared that in the week prior to the race, North Carolina's   COVID-19 hospitalizations   were actually increasing — from 481 on May 16, to 589 on Saturday, May 23, the day of the festivities. Since then, the number of current hospitalizations statewide is up to 702, as of yesterday.

img.jpg?width=980

To be honest, it's a   difficult story to read,   because it feels like an early chapter of   And The Band Played On . There's a strong likelihood of a future story, profiling people who'll get sick or die after attending the race. Maybe not — viral outbreaks are a matter of risk, not certainty. But the odds are far higher than if all those folks had stayed home and held   nice cookouts in their own backyards.

Gentlemen, Start Your Outbreak

Carter   notes   that the people in the audience had come from all over the state, and that they seemed motivated as much by politics as by any desire to see cars scream around an oval track: "To many, it wasn't as much about racing as it was freedom." Again and again he talks to folks who are glad to be out on a holiday weekend, to show they're taking control over their own destiny, as they see it. That included two of the very few people he saw wearing face masks, a couple of fellows in their sixties who said sure, it was "a little scary, but we can't live under a rock forever," and also those darn liberals just don't give Donald Trump credit for   anything .

Under "Phase Two" of Gov. Roy Cooper's reopening plan, which went into effect the day before the race, mass gatherings are still banned. That means no more than 10 people in indoor venues, or 25 outdoors, so nah, 4,000 packed into grandstands is not yet approved.

But the track's owners weren't about to wait, so they met earlier in the week with Alamance County officials, who gave the go-ahead. The county attorney, Clyde Albright, told a local paper that the governor "cannot constitutionally limit the number of people who can peaceably assemble," which is some dubious law-talking, but it was enough to inspire Ace Speedway co-owner Robert Turner, who praised the county officials:

I'm very thankful that we have people in Alamance County that are willing to stand up for our constitutional rights (to) peacefully assemble, to gather together and just be amongst ourselves as normal.

There's nobody here rioting. We're not speaking against any kind of thing. We're here just to have some fun and be Americans. And that's what we needed. But somebody, at some point in time, had to stand up for these people and for all of us, together.

Turner went on to explain that it was also about the flag, and freedom, and our great military, and being American in general, because he really believes America is "in jeopardy right now. Because of some of the things that are going on."

And if America isn't about the right to cram into grandstands and   share respiratory droplets   during a pandemic, then there may as well not even be an America. Turner   said   he'd gotten some "dirty phone calls" and "threats on my life" from people who said opening up was a dangerous idea, but he concluded most of the naysayers were "people who probably wouldn't come to Ace Speedway, anyways." Ergo, resuming racing was a good thing, and those people were clearly wrong, as proven by the full attendance:

"What this tells me is that nobody is really scared," he said. "... If you want to take a poll, here, nobody is scared."

Brakes? What Brakes?

Gov. Cooper, a freedom-hating Democrat,   said Tuesday   that his office was "considering all options" to make sure similar large gatherings won't happen until public health experts deem it safe. He called the crowded racetrack grandstands "a dangerous situation that ought to concern all the local officials and all the citizens surrounding that venue. [...] It is a completely reckless way to operate." But don't people go to car races to see recks anyway?

Cooper added,

It is dangerous and reckless to try and draw a crowd. [...] I hope and pray that no one gets sick or even dies from that gathering that occurred this weekend. We hope that that doesn't happen. But the way to prevent that kind of thing is not to do it. We are deeply concerned about that kind of activity.

For contrast, Cooper and Dr. Mandy Cohen, head of the state's Department of Health and Human Services, pointed to how the grownups at NASCAR ran the "Coca-Cola 600" race at Charlotte Motor Speedway Sunday: No spectators at the venue,   social distancing in the pits,   and limited media at the racetrack. Cohen said at Tuesday's presser that she'd prefer local track owners act like Gallant, not Goofus:

They took precautions seriously and had a great event that was enjoyed by millions. [...] Let's all take the precautions that NASCAR did.

Well sure, expert doctor lady, but a local racetrack can't show races or sell ads on national TV, and what about the beer revenue? Commie.

Where We're Going, We Don't Need Ventilators

As for Mr. Turner's insistence that nobody at the racetrack was scared, Carter   did talk to   one race fan who had shown up and mistakenly thought the raceway would attempt some social distancing, Jewell Stewart, 70, who'd come with her boyfriend. Carter found Stewart sitting "alone at a picnic table behind the bleachers, between the concession stands," wearing a mask, reading a book and missing the races.

At the start of the night, she'd been sitting in the grandstand. Then the space around her became full, strangers sitting nearby. [...]

At first, she hadn't given much thought to attending a race here. But then she arrived and saw that hardly anyone was wearing a facial covering. And there were all those people sitting around her. It was enough to send Stewart to seek refuge.

She didn't even want to return to the stands for the biggest race of the night, featuring her favorite driver, because she worried that with her health, "If I were to get this, I wouldn't make it." Why weren't people even wearing masks, she wanted to know.

Well, because this is America and we don't let people tell us what to do, is why. As Carter notes, that was central to the script:

For the people there, the spectacle became something of a celebration. For as much joy as there might have been in the gathering, there was also a sense of shared pride in an act of defiance. Before the start of the final race, the public address announcer spoke of American freedom and people who'd died fighting for it.

He spoke of Memorial Day and how "tonight is a big display of our freedom."

And then the 4,000 fans went back to their cars and drove home, to locations all over the state, where absolutely nothing bad will happen, the economy will start booming again, we'll all be free and unafraid, and some percentage of the crowd, and the people they meet in the coming weeks, is just expendable.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago
Under "Phase Two" of Gov. Roy Cooper's reopening plan, which went into effect the day before the race, mass gatherings are still banned. That means no more than 10 people in indoor venues, or 25 outdoors, so nah, 4,000 packed into grandstands is not yet approved. But the track's owners weren't about to wait, so they met earlier in the week with Alamance County officials, who gave the go-ahead. The county attorney, Clyde Albright, told a local paper that the governor "cannot constitutionally limit the number of people who can peaceably assemble," which is some dubious law-talking, but it was enough to inspire Ace Speedway co-owner Robert Turner, who praised the county officials: I'm very thankful that we have people in Alamance County that are willing to stand up for our constitutional rights (to) peacefully assemble, to gather together and just be amongst ourselves as normal.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2  It Is ME    4 years ago

Oh NO !

Bet they ALL called in "Sick" to work, just to be there. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
3  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

Can’t be any worse than the super genius Floyd protestors in Minneapolis. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3    4 years ago

We had our riots in 67.

They won't start rockin it like that until the have APC's patrolling their city streets.   Thus began the real exodus from the city of Detroit.

Good times!

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
3.2  SteevieGee  replied to  Dean Moriarty @3    4 years ago

Yep.  They're really stupid too.  Lot's of stupid people these days.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago
Novel coronavirus patient hospitalizations in North Carolina hit 627 on Monday, the highest it's been since the outbreak began. The state currently has at least 23,964 confirmed cases, including 754 deaths, according to the latest report Monday by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (NCDHHS).

The number of hospitalizations in the state has been on a mostly increasing trend from around May 10 , when hospitalizations were at 442, according to figures from the NCDHHS.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @4    4 years ago

There are more people hospitalized in North Carolina for coronavirus, today, than there has been at any time since the pandemic started. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
4.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1    4 years ago

Same case with Minnesota. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    4 years ago

While it may be gratifying to wallow in one's biases and bigotry by spotlighting 'redneck' entertainment, the reality is far more stark.

No more theater, no more museums, no more academic lecture halls.  Colleges and universities are no longer safe; the life of the professional student has become a thing of the past.  No more professional conferences.  No more international travel.  No more diversity fairs.  No more Pride parades.  No more political rallies.  No more protests.

Activism has become too dangerous.

What has been amazing is how quickly liberals became ultra-conservatives.  The virus has destroyed the liberal status quo and there's nothing liberals can do about it because of the danger.  

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Nerm_L @5    4 years ago

O...............................kay. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1    4 years ago
O...............................kay. 

Those protesting the police murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis are not social distancing.

Minneapolis is a COVID-19 hotspot.  The protests will only make the outbreak worse.  Where's the pictures?  Where's the statistics?  Where's the liberal outrage?

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
5.1.2  Ronin2  replied to  Nerm_L @5.1.1    4 years ago

They aren't white and supposedly conservative like most of the race attendees.  The lame stream media and Democrats will never speak out against their own.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
5.2  Sparty On  replied to  Nerm_L @5    4 years ago

Gonna have to get back to it sooner or later.

I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Whenever these packs of morons gather, if they all came down with it, I would not shed a tear.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6    4 years ago

I heard a millennial call this virus the "Boomer Buster" the other day.   How do i know this person was a millennial?   She's my niece.

This is the enlightened attitude of many in our younger generation.

She might not know it yet but i think she might be out of the will .... jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7  Freefaller    4 years ago

No offense to anyone but I guess I just do not get watching racing.  Other than the occasional accident all that happens is cars go fast, slow down, turn left, speed up and repeat a 1000 times.  Give me hockey, football, heck even baseball these I can watch.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1  Sparty On  replied to  Freefaller @7    4 years ago

Translation:  I think people who watch racing are stupid.    Standard fair when preceded with the old “no offense intended but” gambit.

Personally I think anyone who doesn’t love Australian rules football is stupid as it is the perfect game.    Part soccer, part football ..... perfect!

Ender
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Ender  replied to  Sparty On @7.1    4 years ago

I never understood Cricket.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @7.1.1    4 years ago

Me either, Brits I know say it’s a lot like baseball to which I say: can I have some of what you’re smoking?

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.1.3  Freefaller  replied to  Sparty On @7.1    4 years ago
Translation:  I think people who watch racing are stupid.    Standard fair when preceded with the old “no offense intended but” gambit.

Well you suck at translations but in your favour you excel at being a judgy easily offended snowflake.  FYI I don't play word games I say what I mean and mean what I say. 

Personally I think anyone who doesn’t love Australian rules football is stupid as it is the perfect game.    Part soccer, part football ..... perfect!

Well I disagree that they are stupid they simply have different tastes than you, but you are correct in that Australian rules football is awesome.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Freefaller @7.1.3    4 years ago

Opinions do tend to vary but glad you follow the Popeye rules of meaning.

Nice

Ender
Professor Principal
7.2  Ender  replied to  Freefaller @7    4 years ago

The people that I know that have gone enjoyed camping there and partying, drinking, more than the race itself.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.2.1  Sparty On  replied to  Ender @7.2    4 years ago

Going to a race is a lot like deer camp.    The advertised purpose is usually secondary to the party.    I haven’t shot a deer in years but I have had more than a few hangovers ....

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
7.2.2  Freefaller  replied to  Ender @7.2    4 years ago

Thanks Ender that makes sense.