╌>

Wisconsin reports record number of new coronavirus cases, deaths

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  74 comments

By:   Daniella Silva (NBC News)

Wisconsin reports record number of new coronavirus cases, deaths
Wisconsin saw a record number of new coronavirus cases and deaths on Wednesday, two weeks after the state's Supreme Court struck down its stay-at-home order.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Wisconsin saw a record number of new coronavirus cases and deaths reported in a single day on Wednesday, two weeks after the state's Supreme Court struck down its statewide stay-at-home order.

The state reported 599 new known COVID-19 cases on Wednesday with 22 known deaths, according to Wisconsin's Department of Health Services, the highest recorded daily rise since the pandemic began there. As of Wednesday, the state had more than 16,460 known cases and 539 known deaths, according to the department.

The previous record in new coronavirus cases was 528 the week prior.

Wisconsin also issued a record number of test results Wednesday, with more than 10,300 tests conducted, according to the department.

Democratic Gov. Tony Evers spoke of the importance of wearing a mask in public Wednesday in order to keep others safe from the virus.

"One of the most important things you can do to help others is to wear a mask or other face-covering in public," he said. "Wearing a mask shouldn't be a political statement. It isn't controversial, and it's not hard to do."

On May 13, Wisconsin's Supreme Court struck down the state's stay-at-home order during the pandemic as "unlawful, invalid, and unenforceable" after finding that the state's health secretary exceeded her authority.

The order had put Evers at odds with the state's Republic-controlled legislature.

Some local officials, including those in Milwaukee and Madison, have since instituted their own regulations.

Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings. Sign Up

In a 4-3 ruling, the court called Health Services Secretary-Designee Andrea Palm's directive a "vast seizure of power."

The order directed all people in the state to stay at home or at their places of residence, subject only to exceptions allowed by Palm, the ruling said. The order, which had been set to run until May 26, also restricted travel and business, along with threatening jail time or fines for those who don't comply.

"Republican legislators have convinced four justices to throw our state into chaos," Evers said in a statement at the time.

"We cannot let today's ruling undo all the work we have done and all the sacrifices Wisconsinites have made over these past few months," he said in the mid-May statement. "I am disappointed in the decision today, but our top priority has been and will remain doing what we can and what we have to do to protect the health and safety of the people of our state."

f_wtmj_wi_bars_open_200513_1920x1080.foc

Wisconsinites flock to bars after Supreme Court overturns stay-at-home order

May 14, 202001:48

Shortly after the ruling, the Tavern League of Wisconsin, an industry group, posted a message on social media saying that as a result of the decision, businesses could reopen "immediately."

Just hours after the order, several bars in West Allis reopened for business, according to NBC affiliate WTMJ.

At Limanski's Pub, customers were greeted by a sign reading "please sanitize your hands upon entering" and "remain 2 bar stools apart unless from same household."

More than a dozen customers had gathered in the bar shortly after the reopening, the station reported.

Customer Katie Koutski told WTMJ the outing was much needed relief.

"I have a toddler at home and I'm a full-time nurse so it's been very stressful and hard to not be able to go out and be with my friends and family at the bars," Koutski said.

Kathy Goedde, the bar's owner, said she reopened soon after hearing the news of the ruling.

"I was watching the news, and I saw the order was overturned, so I was pretty happy about that, and then I just waited for the Tavern League to send out information and as soon as we got that, I mean, it was awesome," she said.

Koutski later issued a statement apologizing for not wearing a mask while visiting her sister's bar.

"While my priority was to support my sister and her attempt to restart her business which has been devastated by this pandemic, I'd like to express my regret for not wearing a mask or practicing social distancing while there," she said in a statement, according to WTMJ. "It was a lapse in judgment on my part to not ensure I had my mask prior to leaving my house and to not maintain social distancing — even during the interview requested by the reporter."

Koutski said while she did not have any COVID-19 symptoms, out of an abundance of caution, she was going to voluntarily quarantine for seven days and per standard practice, undergo screening before returning to work.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

squiggy
Junior Silent
1  squiggy    4 years ago

""I have a toddler at home and I'm a full-time nurse so it's been very stressful and hard to not be able to go out and be with my friends and family at the bars," Koutski said."

Aw, jeez.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  squiggy @1    4 years ago

Hmmmm....when I had a toddler I stayed home...a lot! I figured I got that stuff out of my system before I settled down and started having kids. She sounds like she's not ready to be a parent

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.2  Tessylo  replied to  squiggy @1    4 years ago

Wow they're priorities are really whack.  They flocked to the bars immediately with no social distancing, no masks, no nothing.  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.2.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @1.2    4 years ago

I once stopped at a little out of the way bar in a town in WI with a population of maybe 175.  I went in and there must have been 3/4 of the town in there playing darts and drinking beer.  I ordered a glass of wine and it was like I ran over their dog considering the look on the bartender's face.  So I ordered a beer and a shot instead, redeeming myself somewhat.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

For the first two weeks of the infection, a person may not show any symptoms whatsoever, but will be spreading the virus like Johnny Appleseed.  Watch the numbers increase accordingly.  

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2    4 years ago

Ya we tried the two week thing and it failed so now we are learning to live with the virus. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2.1    4 years ago

Good luck with that, Dean. Just stay away from elderly people with underlying medical conditions.  I do have a reason to be concerned about what's happening in Milwaukee.  My son and his family live there. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2.1.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.1    4 years ago

If your son can isolate and still get by financially he might choose to go that route. That’s what my mother is doing. For many they need to return to work as they simply don’t have the savings not to. Many businesses that were forced to close are now facing permanent closure if they don’t get back in the black soon. For many this is no joke. We got lucky because we do aerospace and defense work we could remain open but government is unfairly punishing those that it deems to be nonessential. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.1    4 years ago

What's happening in "Milwaukee"...........................????

jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

squiggy
Junior Silent
2.1.4  squiggy  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.3    4 years ago

Getting ready for Octoberfest. Yous grits don't know nothin.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  squiggy @2.1.4    4 years ago

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif       jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.1.3    4 years ago

Granted my schools never taught American Geography, but I thought that Milwaukee was in Wisconsin, which is the locale of the topic of this article. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

Pay attention to numbers so you aren't easily manipulated.  You have to pay attention to the trend in tests performed when evaluating case counts. More tests=more cases found, even if the actual spread of the virus is less prevalent. 

Daily testing since May 15th has doubled.

The percentage of positive tests continue to go down

You have to pay attention to the trend in tests performed when evaluating case counts. More tests=more cases found, even if the actual spread of the virus is less prevalent.  It's common sense, but it's amazing how many people think reported case counts actually depict  the actual spread of the disease.  And that's of course  assuming the government even trying to report accurate numbers, unlike bad actors like Iran and China. . 

11 people died yesterday. Last month on April 28th, 19 people died.

Also, excuse our arrogance as Wisconsinites, but our world class health care system means on a per person basis, people in states like New York are  more than 15 times more likely to die from covid

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    4 years ago
Also, excuse our arrogance as Wisconsinites, but our world class health care system means on a per person basis, people in states like New York are  more than 15 times more likely to die from covid

Well let's compare population: 19.4 million vs Wisc population of 5.8 million. So we have almost 4 times the population. And we were the first to be hit. How big is your biggest city Sean? Milwaukee, with a population of 592,000, while NYC has 8 million and is also an international hub. If you can't take care of such a small population I would say it is pretty bad. 

So you have no right to be arrogant. 

The numbers can only be manipulated so much. Number of cases (which does include tested people on the JHU site) vs number of deaths. According to JHU, 17,000 cases and 550 deaths. 

Here is your graph:

Looks like you are going up to me. I remember when NY looked just like that except we have in one city more people than you have in an entire state. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    4 years ago

.4 million vs Wisc population of 5.8 million.

Of course Perrie, that's why I was using per capita numbers (they account for population differences).  Wisconsin has had 94 deaths per million residents (less than highly  praised Germany).  New York has had 1,524 deaths per million residents.   That's more than 15 times the rate of death.  Yesterday,  9 times as many New Yorkers died as did Wisconsin residents, so the gap continues to grow. 

So you have no right to be arrogant.

I was making fun of Governor Cuomo, who used those words March 2  to describe why the virus wouldn't be that bad in New York. As time as shown, New York has no right to be arrogant about their response. 

ooks like you are going up to me.

What part about testing don't you get? Wisconsin doubled it's testing over the last few weeks. Voila! More cases were found!   It doesn't mean the disease is somehow more prevalent now since the positivity rate is going down. Simply looking at "case numbers" without reference to testing tells you exactly nothing.  New York has probably had 2 million cases by now by itself, but testing only caught a  small fraction of those. 

Deaths actually peaked in Mid April, which makes sense because the virus was most prevalent in late March and early April. Pay attention to deaths. When death counts surge like they did in New York, it will be a hint the virus is actualy spreading. "Case counts" don't tell you that. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @4.1.1    4 years ago

Sean,

We have more denisty. You can not compare a city of 8 million to one of .5 million. And if you do, you should expect a 16X difference (even not taking into consideration density), which clearly we do not have. 

Yesterday,  9 times as many New Yorkers died as did Wisconsin residents, so the gap continues to grow. 

We had 92 deaths today and are trending downwards. You're 18 and trending up. When we were trending up, we had fewer deaths. For instance, when we were at your current number of 568, our deaths were 5. Do you now see the point and the reason for concern? 

Deaths actually peaked in Mid April, which makes sense because the virus was most prevalent in late March and early April. Pay attention to deaths. When death counts surge like they did in New York, it will be a hint the virus is actualy spreading. "Case counts" don't tell you that. 

Deaths have been stable but now are upticking. You should check out your own website:

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.2    4 years ago

can not compare a city of 8 million to one of .5 million

You literally said "Let's compare population."

And if you do, you should expect a 16X difference (even not taking into consideration density), which clearly we do not have. 

I don't even know what that means. There's no reason to "expect" NYers are 16 times more likely to have Corona virus than people in Wisconsin other than it fits your argument. 

You're 18 and trending up

We had 3 deaths today. 6 yesterday. What is this trend you speak of? 

Deaths have been stable but now are upticking.

9 deaths in two days is not an uptick. 

Also, despite massive increases in testing, there have been less than 175 cases in Wisconsin the last two days.  

At what point are you going to admit you are wrong? It's been well over two weeks, both reported cases and deaths are down. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5  FLYNAVY1    4 years ago

The irresponsibility of people, be they people in office, or those on the street are compromising the health, safety and financial wellbeing of those working at being responsible.

So much for do unto others...... 

TTGA
Professor Silent
6  TTGA    4 years ago

The story was about 2% about the actual numbers and 98% about the author's political opinions.  One number did not appear.  While the author posted the number of new cases compared to previous weeks, ignoring the fact that the amount of testing went up, she did not report the number of new deaths compared to previous weeks.  If numbers of tests in a week goes up by 100% and number of new cases only goes up by 2%, that is a gain.  The story did not tell us whether the number of deaths went up proportionately.  If the number of discovered cases set a new record, then the number of deaths should also have set a new record.  Did it do so??  The story doesn't say.  WHY doesn't it say?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.1  Greg Jones  replied to  TTGA @6    4 years ago

If we have learned anything during this pandemic, it's that certain people and news organizations that should be reporting the truth are intentionally suppressing certain facts and figures to make the situation appear to be worse than it actually is. That is why we still continue to get scary stories of worse case scenarios and dooms day prediction because the media seems to thrive on negative news.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  TTGA @6    4 years ago

Please refer to post 4.1 . It has the JHU numbers which does include tested. 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
6.3  Split Personality  replied to  TTGA @6    4 years ago
then the number of deaths should also have set a new record.  Did it do so??  The story doesn't say.  WHY doesn't it say?

Because they have little to do with one another.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7  Sean Treacy    4 years ago
This is from Eric Strauss, ABC's lead medical reporter:
JUST IN: looked at 21 states that eased restrictions May 4 or earlier & found no major increase in hospitalizations, deaths or % of people testing positive in any of them. [SC, MT, GA, MS, SD, AR, CO, ID, IA, ND, OK, TN, TX, UT, WY, KS, FL, IN, MO, NE, OH] via
5:35 PM · May 28, 2020 · Twitter Web App
For those who care about data. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @7    4 years ago

Wisconsin saw its highest single-day increase in confirmed cases and deaths this week, two weeks after the state’s highest court overturned a stay-at-home order. Cases are also on the rise in Alabama, Arkansas, California and North Carolina, which on Thursday   reported some of the state’s highest numbers   of hospitalizations and reported deaths since the crisis began.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1    4 years ago
es and deaths this week, two weeks after the state’s highest court overturned a stay-at-home ord

yes, Perrie it's very easy to cherry pick data from a single day and ignore the comprehensive evidence from 21 states  that contradicts your bias. 

Why in the world would you believe California is relevant to a discussion on states that opened more than two weeks?  I guess it goes to show that lockdowns don't prevent states from having rising "case counts"  but  I doubt that's the point you are trying to make. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @7.1.1    4 years ago

Sean,

I can find the trends for every one of those states cited and they all show an increasing trend. And the reason I include California is because they are increasing and so I was being transparent, which btw means your cherry-picking comment isn't true. 

The reason California is in an uptick:

The Times asked UC San Francisco epidemiologist and infectious disease expert Dr. George Rutherford, a former epidemic intelligence service officer with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about why the plateau persists.

“As long as it’s going up, it has not ended. It’s got to come down for it to end,” he said.

Rutherford offered two reasons why the disease is persisting: a certain percentage of people still must go out to work, and others are getting fed up with staying at home.

Officials have expressed alarm at large crowds seen in San Francisco’s Mission Dolores Park, on   Orange County beaches   and in the downtown L.A. flower district.

There has been a   steep rise in coronavirus cases   reported in Orange County following the large crowds on the beaches on April 25-26.

In the week of April 20-26, there were 438 cases in Orange County. The week after that, 669 cases were reported, and the week after that, 759 cases. Further investigation is needed to determine whether the beaches were a source of spread for an outbreak or if the increase could be explained simply by other factors, such as increased testing.

“But you know, just us looking at it, there was a big jump in Orange County that was temporally consistent with possible transmission from that crowd event,” Rutherford said.

Others have voiced concern about crowded areas. “We are seeing spikes in infections in Southern California commensurate with when the beaches became crowded. We have seen spikes of infections when people have gone to large gatherings at churches or birthday parties. We must be vigilant,” the San Francisco director of public health, Dr. Grant Colfax, said Monday.

The Orange County health officer, Dr. Nichole Quick, said there’s no evidence at this time that crowded beaches were a factor in the rise in cases.

So Sean, people are not following the guidelines like we are in NY. Sheltering in place and face covers does work. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Sean Treacy  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.2    4 years ago
an find the trends for every one of those states cited and they all show an increasing trend.

Yes, ABC News is lying as part of a pro open agenda.  You, for whatever reason, are focusing on simple case counts without taking into context the increased testing. Any epidemiologist will tell you that just because reported cases are up, it doesn't mean the virus is in fact more prevalent. Test counts and the positivity rate are what make case counts a useful tool. By itself, case counts are useless. 

You understand if states cut their testing back by 50%, the "case numbers" would fall off as if by magic right?   Do you believe less testing makes the disease go away? 

o Sean, people are not following the guidelines like we are in NY. Sheltering in place and face covers does work.

If they have, explain New York's numbers since March.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
7.1.4  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sean Treacy @7.1.3    4 years ago
Yes, ABC News is lying as part of a pro open agenda. 

I hate when you do that. Imply something that I never did. 

Test counts and the positivity rate are what make case counts a useful tool. By itself, case counts are useless. 

Agreed. NY has the highest level of testing right now and it shows that only 5% of our population shows positive for the virus. Apparently taking precautions does work.

If they have, explain New York's numbers since March.  

I have explained this many times to you Sean and I know you know the truth. Arguing for the sake of arguing is not my thing. I'll just sit back and watch your states numbers grow and we'll talk in 2 weeks. 

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
7.1.5  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @7.1.4    4 years ago

The antibody tests are showing much higher rates.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8  Tacos!    4 years ago

The trend for cases in Wisconsin is clearly going up. The trend for deaths, though, is flat and slightly declining. It really is irresponsible to write freak-out stories based on case counts. That's not what matters.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @8    4 years ago

Tacos, the number of cases will result in the number of death going up. We clearly saw that in NY.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
8.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.1    4 years ago

If you look at the chart I linked to, the cases have been trending upward for a long time, and the deaths have been trending downward for a long time. You can't just say "there are more cases" and act like that's the whole picture. We know better. 

Deaths might go up. That's entirely possible. But it will be bogus science to point at this or that policy change and say "that caused it!"

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1.2  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @8.1.1    4 years ago

Well, only time will show that, right? And who is freaking out? Everyone will reep what the sow in this case. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Wisconsin saw its highest single-day increase in both cases and deaths just two weeks after the state's highest court overturned a stay-at-home order; Alabama, Arkansas, California and North Carolina are seeing some of their highest case numbers and death tallies yet

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9    4 years ago

We are opening slowly here to test the waters.  But because people are being butt heads, I expect that Phase 3 will revert back to Phase 2.  My favorite neighborhood diner is opening on July 5 and I plan to be there for biscuits and gravy.  They already kept that place so clean that you could eat off of the floor.  But if there are too many people there when I arrive, I will get take out just to be careful.  I also plan to take my own condiments and silverware.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @9.1    4 years ago

That is what we are doing in NY. Opening carefully. I would not eat in a packed place (not sure how you do that with a mask on either). I would like to get my hair done, LOL!

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.1    4 years ago

You can't eat with a mask on but you can get your hair colored and cut with one! I did it last week. There were a couple times I had to take the loops off my ears, but I held the mask to my face.

Then I needed a new mask the next day....

Veronica
Professor Guide
9.1.3  Veronica  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.1    4 years ago

I just got an email from my salon.  They are planning on opening June 16th as part of Phase 3.  I cannot wait.  They are sending out rules that clients need to adhere to - but well worth it.  Salon owner said they will be starting with clients that had standing appointments - that would be me - I am on their books every 4 weeks.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.1.4  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.2    4 years ago

Wife kept hers on the whole time and now the loops are the same color as her hair and

they blend in, lol.

true story, film at 11, lol.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Split Personality @9.1.4    4 years ago

It wouldn't have bothered me for the loops to be as brown as my hair...but it was the tiny little hairs that got inside the mask. There was no way I was going be able to wear a hairshirt on my face

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.6  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Veronica @9.1.3    4 years ago

OK girls I am jealous. I look a mess. No one should let me near a pair of scissors! Untold damage done!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.7  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Split Personality @9.1.4    4 years ago

LMAO!!!!! 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.6    4 years ago

Stay away from clippers. The temptation to go GI Jane can be strong...because it's just hair and it will grow back

Veronica
Professor Guide
9.1.9  Veronica  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.6    4 years ago

Your salon won't be opening?  They are listed in Phase 2 (limited) but all in Phase 3.  

I just let my hair grow, BUT I did have to do a box color (shiver). 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.1.10  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @9.1.4    4 years ago

Also, she confessed that since we are both still very gainfully employed,

she added the cost of the two missed appointments to V's tip.

Something several other patrons did also.

Veronica
Professor Guide
9.1.11  Veronica  replied to  Split Personality @9.1.10    4 years ago

That is a great idea, thanks.  I will be doing that as well.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
9.1.12  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Veronica @9.1.9    4 years ago

They are going to open in phase 2 but that is 2 weeks away and our numbers have to look stable. I thought about doing a box color, but I used to be a real redhead, and red is the hardest to make look natural, so my roots are out, and it ain't pretty, LOL!

Veronica
Professor Guide
9.1.13  Veronica  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.12    4 years ago
but I used to be a real redhead, and red is the hardest to make look natural

Me, too!!!!!  I had to do mine.  I had an office meeting 2 weeks ago and I was not going into the office looking like I did.

I am just happy they are opening in June - there was some thought not until Phase 3.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  Veronica @9.1.11    4 years ago

I tipped my hair stylist generously and she was beyond grateful. She sent me a text later to thank me

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
9.1.15  KDMichigan  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.14    4 years ago
(deleted)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.16  Trout Giggles  replied to  KDMichigan @9.1.15    4 years ago
(deleted)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.18  Trout Giggles  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.14    4 years ago

Would a moderator please delete this comment? Apparently I'm bragging

Veronica
Professor Guide
9.1.19  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.14    4 years ago

Good on you and on her.  It is nice to be appreciated and so often hair stylists & nail techs are frequently overlooked as hard workers.

Veronica
Professor Guide
9.1.20  Veronica  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.18    4 years ago

Really?  

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
9.1.21  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @9.1.6    4 years ago

If I don't get a cut soon, I'm changing my name here to Cousin It.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.22  Trout Giggles  replied to  Veronica @9.1.20    4 years ago

Just look at the comments below mine.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
9.1.23  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @9.1.2    4 years ago

I can't wait for my stylist to come back.  I am thinking it will be by appointment only.  I'll deal in the meantime though.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.24  Trout Giggles  replied to  Tessylo @9.1.23    4 years ago

I felt like like a raccoon had taken residence on my head...and now I'm probably 3 pounds lighter.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
9.1.25  Trout Giggles  replied to  Veronica @9.1.19    4 years ago

I felt bad for them because they weren't working this whole time. I figured I could afford it why not being a little more generous than I normally am

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11  JohnRussell    4 years ago
...the decision followed two alarming instances that drew national attention: The emergence of photos and video showing large groups of mostly young people crowded together at Lake of the Ozarks swimming pools over the Memorial Day weekend, and the report that up to 140 clients at a Springfield Great Clips were potentially exposed by two workers who tested positive for COVID-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus.

The Springfield-Greene County Health Department is testing all of the exposed Great Clips clients, and test results for the first 42 were negative, director Clay Goddard said. It wasn’t immediately clear when the remaining results would be available.

The health department announced last week that a stylist served 84 clients over eight days in mid-May while experiencing coronavirus symptoms. A co-worker also became sick and potentially exposed 56 more. The health agency said both stylists tested positive for COVID-19.

The stylists and all of their clients wore face masks, health officials said. Goddard said the negative tests so far may be evidence of the value of facial coverings.

Great Clips said in a statement Thursday that it was closing all of its Springfield salons after two threatening messages — one in a Facebook message to an employee, the other phoned to a salon.

Salons were allowed to reopen in Missouri under Parson's May 5 order, despite concerns from some about the close proximity required for barbers and hairstylists to work with their clients.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
11.1  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @11    4 years ago

Missouri reports big increases in coronavirus cases

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
11.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @11.1    4 years ago

How about a source?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @11    4 years ago

The health agency said both stylists tested positive for COVID-19.

They both should have their licenses revoked and be slapped with a hefty fine for public health endangerment.

user image
Freshman Silent
12      4 years ago

Ohio is finally opening up. Enjoyed a nice meal at Twin Peaks the other day. Will be spending much more of my Michigan money in ohio until whitless opens things up in Michigan. Walmart, meijers, gas stations have all been open this whole time, and everybody goes to those places. Why would opening other establishments be any different? I havent heard of any cases from employees at these establishments. 

I also no longer believe the death tolls. I have heard at least 1 person tell me their family member died from a pre existing condition and the doctors are blaming it on corona. It was a heart attack but since he tested positive for Corona, its a corona heart attack now. SMH

Thomas
Senior Guide
12.1  Thomas  replied to  @12    4 years ago

How do you know it wasn't?

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
12.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Thomas @12.1    4 years ago

It’s a common problem. They had to decrease the death toll numbers here in Colorado for the same reason. 

Thomas
Senior Guide
12.1.2  Thomas  replied to  Dean Moriarty @12.1.1    4 years ago

The virus is known to effect the blood, making it "clumpy". How do you know that the heart attack was not caused by the virus??

Tessylo
Professor Principal
12.2  Tessylo  replied to  @12    4 years ago

They say ignorance is bliss.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
14  Split Personality    4 years ago

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
15  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Who didn't see that coming?