╌>

Dem lawmaker goes on epic rant after GOP colleague admits hiding positive coronavirus test

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  52 comments

Dem lawmaker goes on epic rant after GOP colleague admits hiding positive coronavirus test

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

U.S.

Dennis Romero

NBC News May 28, 2020, 12:46 AM EDT

49a23609eabac7f1dabad4a89fb29628

A Pennsylvania Democratic lawmaker joined colleagues on his side of the aisle in lambasting a Republican lawmaker for keeping them in the dark about testing positive for   the coronavirus .

Rep. Brian Sims, D-Philadelphia, delivered an epic Facebook Live rant on Wednesday about the exclusion, saying state House Republicans called for in-person committee meetings to argue that business sectors were safe to reopen even as they knew they had been exposed to the virus.

"Every single day of this crisis this State Government Committee in Pennsylvania has met so that their members could line up one after one after one and explain that it was safe to go back to work," he said. "During that time period they were testing positive. They were notifying one another. And they didn’t notify us."

"I never ever, ever knew that the Republican leadership of this state would put so many of us at risk for partisanship to cover up a lie," he said during the nearly 12-minute tirade. "And that lie is that we're all safe from COVID."

Rep. Andrew Lewis, R-Dauphin, said in a Facebook Live address Wednesday night, hours after he publicly announced he had tested positive, that he informed as few people as possible about contracting the coronavirus because he wanted to protect the privacy of those around him and because he was only in close quarters with a handful of house colleagues.

"It’s mostly a ghost town here," he said of the state Capitol in Harrisburg. "I only interacted with a couple of people. I did what I needed to do to protect their privacy. They’ve had time to get their test and all those things."

The representative said he's not aware of anyone who was around him testing positive. After feeling ill May 16, he said he self-isolated, tested positive on May 20 then and informed health officials as well as a few people who might have been around him when he was last at the Capitol on May 14.

Those people he informed self-isolated and, in some cases, got tested with none turning up positive as far as he knows, Lewis said. He said he wore a mask when he was at the Capitol.

The lawmaker said he had a mild case and recovered quickly before waiting 10 days to announce his experience publicly.

“Out of respect for my family, and those who I may have exposed, I chose to keep my positive case private," he said in a statement.

The number of people who have died in the U.S. as a result of the virus   crossed the 100,000 mark   on Wednesday, including   over 5,200 deaths in Pennsylvania .

The state house Democratic Caucus accused Lewis and at least some of the Republican colleagues who knew about his status of keeping colleagues in the dark.

"While we are pleased to learn that this House member seems to have recovered, it is simply unacceptable that some House Republicans knew about this for more than a week and sat on that knowledge," Democratic Leader Frank Dermody of Allegheny said in a statement Wednesday night.

He said there had been multiple meetings in May in which some Republicans who might have had contact with Lewis attended without masks and they made a point of their distaste for personal protective equipment.

"This attitude shows a fundamental lack of respect for fellow lawmakers," Dermody said.

Sims said the state attorney general needs to investigate how the notification was handled. He also called on Speaker of the House Mike Turzai to resign.

Any representative who knew about Lewis' case and didn't inform colleagues "needs to be investigated by the attorney general and I think that they need to be prosecuted."

Rep. Kevin J. Boyle, D-Philadelphia, said on   Twitter   that the State Government Committee he chairs has met 12 times in the last two months.

"Not informing anyone there is a #Covid_19 positive member with multiple GOP members in quarantine should be criminal," he said.

Some Republicans defended Lewis and accused Democrats of being too sensitive about the matter.

Rep. Russ Diamond, R-Lebanon, said on   Twitter , "Lefties whine because I self-quarantined but didn't get tested after possible COVID 'contact.' Confirmed by my doc: No reason for testing, even if I could get tested without symptoms. I feel like a million bucks!"

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention   states   that in workplace environments "employers should inform fellow employees of their possible exposure to COVID-19 in the workplace but maintain confidentiality as required by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)."

Lewis said his views on   reopening the state   during the pandemic have not changed. "I firmly believe it is time to safely reopen Pennsylvania," he said.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

What a surprise the 'president's enablers and suppporters and republicans and the gop are the ones spreading this.

Fucking liars!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

So why isn't this dopey Dem not wearing a mask?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

These lying Typhoid Mary's should be arrested for criminal negligence.  Like their 'boss', their ignorance and lies are killing people.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @2    4 years ago
These lying Typhoid Mary's should be arrested for criminal negligence.  Like their 'boss', their ignorance and lies are killing people.  

Can you name one person they killed?

heck, can you even name a person they infected?

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @2.1.1    4 years ago

Heck, I just figured with all the accusations being bandied about, someone would have SOEMTHING in the way of proof besides their flapping gums.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.2    4 years ago

here's your fucking proof!

Rep. Andrew Lewis, R-Dauphin, said in a Facebook Live address Wednesday night, hours after he publicly announced he had tested positive, that he informed as few people as possible about contracting the coronavirus because he wanted to protect the privacy of those around him and because he was only in close quarters with a handful of house colleagues.

Next time read the goddamn fucking seed. Jesus Christ Almighty!!!!!!!

No! There's no proof that he infected anyone and definitely didn't kill anyone but that is not the point of this seed!

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.10  Ozzwald  replied to    4 years ago
So no proof, just a WHOLE LOT OF BITCHING AND WHINING.

Yup, just like walking around pointing a gun at people, if you don't pull the trigger, there is no crime.  Right Texan????

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.11  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.10    4 years ago
Yup, just like walking around pointing a gun at people, if you don't pull the trigger, there is no crime.  Right Texan????

A two-second Google search and you would know in many places it IS a crime to point a gun at someone.

So, to answer your silly question, NO, you are not right.

[deleted]

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.13  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.11    4 years ago
A two-second Google search and you would know in many places it IS a crime to point a gun at someone.

Yet you seemed to feel it important that someone dies or at least gets wounded, before, when it was a Republican walking around with Coronavirus in 2.1.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.14  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.12    4 years ago

Your world is a really scary place.  

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.15  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.14    4 years ago

Part of this thread was removed for being off topic. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.16  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.13    4 years ago
Yet you seemed to feel it important that someone dies or at least gets wounded, before, when it was a Republican walking around with Coronavirus in 2.1.

I have no earthly idea what exactly you read, and even less of an idea of your "interpretation" of what was written.

WTF does that have to do with brandishing a weapon????????

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.18  Texan1211  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.17    4 years ago

Heck, I suppose I should just be pleasantly surprised that at least he remembers who wrote what this time and responded almost accordingly.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.19  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.16    4 years ago
WTF does that have to do with brandishing a weapon?

Knowingly exposing someone to a deadly disease is completely different from knowingly exposing someone to a deadly weapon?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.20  Greg Jones  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.3    4 years ago

We know what the point of the seed is...

just another left wing rant.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.21  Trout Giggles  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.20    4 years ago

Wow, Greg...that was truly one of the most pitiful comments I have ever seen on NT and I've seen a lot.

Admit you ain't got what it takes and go home

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.22  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @2.1.14    4 years ago

Not as scary as yours.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.23  Greg Jones  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.21    4 years ago
Admit you ain't got what it takes and go home

I know it's hard for you...but please try to be civil and avoid personal attacks.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.25  Trout Giggles  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.23    4 years ago

It is hard for me be civil to people who aren't civil back.

But since neither of us can be civil to each other...I have the solution

Texan1211
Professor Principal
2.1.26  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @2.1.19    4 years ago
Knowingly exposing someone to a deadly disease is completely different from knowingly exposing someone to a deadly weapon?

In this case, yes. Very good.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
2.1.27  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @2.1.26    4 years ago
In this case, yes. Very good.

In this case, because otherwise you are being a hypocrite?

zuksam
Junior Silent
2.1.28  zuksam  replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.12    4 years ago
Nope.  Actually in some places that's known as brandishing and in others threatening.  So, in my world, it's illegal all over the country.

Or menacing, if during a confrontation you show that you are armed with any type of weapon it constitutes a threat and it's usually charged as menacing. You don't have to pull a gun or knife you just have to make a point of showing it, you know the old pull your jacket open to show you have a knife or gun that's menacing.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @2    4 years ago

LOCK THEM UP!  LOCK THEM UP!

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

These liars obviously value money over people.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4  Texan1211    4 years ago

Not one shred of proof in the whole article that the man who contracted Covid-19 infected anyone.

Sounds like that Democrat got his panties all twisted for nothing.

Ender
Professor Principal
5  Ender    4 years ago

I would be pissed too. Asshole knew he was infected and refused to tell anyone.

People need to wake up and see what kind of person he is and vote him out.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

I saw this on Face Book yesterday. I know I would be pissed.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
6.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Trout Giggles @6    4 years ago

Pissed I can understand, but to blame the many for the actions of one? No...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @6.1    4 years ago
"While we are pleased to learn that this House member seems to have recovered, it is simply unacceptable that some House Republicans knew about this for more than a week and sat on that knowledge," Democratic Leader Frank Dermody of Allegheny said in a statement Wednesday night.

Other House republicans knew and kept it a secret. So there's your "many"

Ender
Professor Principal
6.1.2  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @6.1.1    4 years ago

I heard one idiot the other day saying he didn't care if he got it, it is his body and he could recover and be done with it.

All I could think is, you asshole, you can spread it to others.

Some are either too stupid to realize that fact or they just don't care.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
6.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Ender @6.1.2    4 years ago

Well, I hope he's right in that he can recover from it if he gets it, but there's no guarantee that anybody will definitely recover from it. This virus is weird because it has killed young people, not a lot, but still.

And yeah...I'm getting pretty sick and tired of the selfishness people are exhibiting. I doubt this is something that Jesus would do.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Ender @6.1.2    4 years ago

Are you all that surprised considering who is setting the tone...President "I won't wear a mask" Trump and his mini me VP "We will still shake hands" Pence.

Jasper2529
Professor Quiet
7  Jasper2529    4 years ago

It seems that Yahoo omits facts again:

Lewis said in telling House of Representatives Human Resources, he thought they would let everyone know. However, according to Dermody, there is no policy currently in place on what to do if a House member tests positive for COVID-19.

FOX43 contacted to the Pennsylvania Department of Health to see if there are any guidelines on if and how workplaces should let their employees know when a co-worker tests positive with the virus.

Nate Wardle, a spokesman with the department, replied, saying in part, "Employers that are notified of a positive test within their facility are expected to follow the Worker Safety Order in regard to establishing protocols for execution upon discovery that the business has been exposed to a person who is a probable or confirmed case of COVID-19, as identified under section A.3 of the https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/Documents/Diseases%20and%20Conditions/SOH%20COVID-19%20Worker%20Safety%20Order.pdf. Click or tap if you trust this link."> Worker Safety Order . "

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1  Texan1211  replied to  Jasper2529 @7    4 years ago

I would expect this comment to be deleted as it actually presents some facts.

Good find.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1    4 years ago

I've never seen you or Jasper or ItIsMe provide anything of value.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @7.1.1    4 years ago

Well, yeah, one would actually have to put forth a tiny little bit of effort and then show that they could comprehend whatever is written.

But, you don't read links, remember? So how can anyone "prove" anything at all to you?

And if you have a personal problem with ME, why drag others into it?

What is your purpose in doing so?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.2  It Is ME  replied to  Jasper2529 @7    4 years ago
Typical bullshit, getting all worked up and expecting the rest of the world to go all Chicken Little with you.

CDC NOW says jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif (I wish they'd make up their fucking minds)…...... Up and Close is what distributes the disease. Did Simms get all up in Lewis's face lately ? Was Simms wearing a "Mask" if he did ?

Enquiring minds want to know. jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Jasper2529 @7    4 years ago

this is a better report and actually has the video of Rep Brian Sims tirade

n the video, Sims says that Democratic leadership became aware of at least one Republication member of the House of Representatives who had tested positive for COVID-19 and remained working in the capitol for at least one week.  

Sims also criticized Rep. Russ Diamond of Lebanon County for self-quarantining without telling Democratic colleagues. Diamond has been a leading advocate for re-opening the state and according to Sims, he has remained quarantined for weeks.

In a Tweet Wednesday night, Diamond said he "self-quarantined but didn't get tested after possible COVID 'contact.' " He said his doctor said there was no reason for him to get tested.  

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
8  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

this is a better report and actually has the video of Rep Brian Sims tirade

n the video, Sims says that Democratic leadership became aware of at least one Republication member of the House of Representatives who had tested positive for COVID-19 and remained working in the capitol for at least one week.  

Sims also criticized Rep. Russ Diamond of Lebanon County for self-quarantining without telling Democratic colleagues. Diamond has been a leading advocate for re-opening the state and according to Sims, he has remained quarantined for weeks.

In a Tweet Wednesday night, Diamond said he "self-quarantined but didn't get tested after possible COVID 'contact.' " He said his doctor said there was no reason for him to get tested.  

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
9  sandy-2021492    4 years ago

Locking this article in the seeder's absence.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
9.1  Split Personality  replied to  sandy-2021492 @9    4 years ago

re-opened at seeder's request

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
10  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

“Out of respect for my family, and those who I may have exposed, I chose to keep my positive case private," he said in a statement.

I hope his supporters remember this when he comes up for reelection.  He had zero respect for either his family or those he exposed.  Just because he had a mild case does not mean someone else would if they caught CV from him.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
10.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @10    4 years ago

So...what's the point of letting people know? The proverbial corona horse is already out of the barn. It's too late to do anything about it. It's up to every individual to protect themselves.