Officer Derek Chauvin arrested in death of George Floyd

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  one month ago  •  109 comments

By:   The Mercury News

Officer Derek Chauvin arrested in death of George Floyd
The arrest comes after three days of protests, which escalated in violence as demonstrators torched a police precinct that had been abandoned by officers.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By The Associated Press | May 29, 2020 at 10:32 a.m.

Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS — Minnesota authorities say the police officer who knelt on George Floyd has been arrested.

Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington said Friday that state investigators arrested Derek Chauvin.

Chauvin is the white officer who was seen on video kneeling on the neck of Floyd, a handcuffed black man.

The arrest comes after three days of protests, which escalated in violence as demonstrators torched a police precinct that had been abandoned by officers.

Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz on Friday acknowledged the "abject failure" of the response to this week's violent protests. Walz said the state would take over the response and that it's time to show respect and dignity to those who are suffering.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

JohnRussell
1  seeder  JohnRussell    one month ago

this should bring some "normality" to the streets

badfish
1.1  badfish  replied to  JohnRussell @1    one month ago

Well hopefully justice is served, next up a few hundred dirt bags need to go to prison with him for acting like animals and financially destroying minority owned business and claiming they were protesting.

JohnRussell
1.1.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  badfish @1.1    one month ago

They can join Trump who said looters should be shot. 

Shooting looters is generally not legal in the US.  How fricking dumb is Trump anyway? 

Paula Bartholomew
1.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    one month ago

Why hasn't martial law been declared?

badfish
1.1.3  badfish  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    one month ago

Not sure but this cop would already be in jail if that dumb wench Amy Klobuchar would have charged him when he executed the other black guy on video.

badfish
1.1.4  badfish  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.2    one month ago

Because the mayor is a virtue signaling soy boy cuck that believes the violence to be justified. Awful murder by a cop, awful behavior by the community.

So many things wrong here.

Greg Jones
1.1.5  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    one month ago

He never said looters should be shot. Read his words again very carefully, then maybe you will understand

what he said, and apologize for making stuff up.

Just Jim NC TttH
1.1.6  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.5    one month ago

He's been saying that's what Trump said ad nauseum. All he said was when the looting starts, the shooting will start. But of course some of our friends here are taking that as Trump says shoot 'em all. All he was saying is someone is going to start shooting. Like maybe a shop owner or two defending their property. Look at Louisville.

JohnRussell
1.1.7  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.5    one month ago

i posted his tweet four different times. i know what it said

you are the one with the problem

badfish
1.1.8  badfish  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.7    one month ago

Remember when riots broke out after the Somali cop shot the white lady? Me neither

We are a civilized society, we all agree it was an unjustified murder, most civilized also agree that ignoring crime from those criminal dirt bags that loot under the guise of protest is unacceptable.

What exactly is hard to understand about that?

Just Jim NC TttH
1.1.9  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.7    one month ago
i know what it said

And your "I hate Trump" interpretation of what he meant.....And I did above IMO.......Something you nor I can't possibly know for sure. You NEVER look or think objectively to what he says. 

JohnRussell
1.1.10  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.6    one month ago
He's been saying that's what Trump said ad nauseum. All he said was when the looting starts, the shooting will start. But of course some of our friends here are taking that as Trump says shoot 'em all. All he was saying is someone is going to start shooting. Look at Louisville.

Thats not what he means. The phrase refers to police and law enforcement shooting looters. 

Greg Jones
1.1.11  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.7    one month ago

Just Jim NC TttH
1.1.12  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  badfish @1.1.8    one month ago

[deleted]

Just Jim NC TttH
1.1.13  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.10    one month ago
Thats not what he means. The phrase refers to police and law enforcement shooting looters.

BULLFUCKINGSHIT unless duly provoked........and with these assholes, who knows. A couple of warning shots to a knee or two and these fucking cowards would scatter like the cockroaches they are. They always do.

badfish
1.1.14  badfish  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.9    one month ago

Some people get a hardon over stoking racial division so instead of relying on our justice system they get aroused when people act like complete animals and torch minority business.

It's really bizarre.

Bad cops kill people during arrests all too often and it effects all of us. It could happen to any one of us and the reaction should always be the same. We call on our justice system to deliver justice.

JohnRussell
1.1.15  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.9    one month ago

This is from Reuters, not a liberal blog. Your ignorance doesnt bother me. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trump threatens 'shooting' response to Minneapolis riot over police killing

5 MIN READWASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump threatened on Friday to stop looters in Minneapolis with deadly military force, after that city weathered a third night of arson and rioting over the police killing of an unarmed black man.

badfish
1.1.16  badfish  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.12    one month ago

[deleted]

Greg Jones
1.1.17  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.10    one month ago

No, it means that someone, the looters, shooting at police and innocent civilians. Shots were fired last night here in Denver, most likely at police.

JohnRussell
1.1.18  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.13    one month ago

Oh so, you think it is ok to shoot looters, which is generally illegal in the US. 

Thanks for letting your inner executioner get some air. jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Just Jim NC TttH
1.1.19  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.15    one month ago

That's a opinion only not unlike your own. Keep digging John...................

jrSmiley_76_smiley_image.gif

Just Jim NC TttH
1.1.20  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.18    one month ago
Oh so, you think it is ok to shoot looters

Didn't say that  Captain Obtuse . If a shop owner fears for his life or property shoots a looter trespassing and stealing from him/her, tough shit. That was the looter's choice........and like always, I don't think they'd like the consequences that will come from his/her choice.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.1.22  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.20    one month ago

Guys the truth lies somewhere in between. As president, he should have asked for calm and for law enforcement to bring order. What he shouldn't have said is what he tweeted. Looting is never right. The understandable protests are just an excuse for criminal elements to steal. 

JohnRussell
1.1.23  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.17    one month ago
No, it means that someone, the looters, shooting at police and innocent civilians.

Uh, no. 

JohnRussell
1.1.24  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.22    one month ago
Guys the truth lies somewhere in between.

No, not in the case of what Trump said. 

The phrase "when the looting starts the shooting starts" was coined in the 1960's by a racist police chief in Florida. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/the-racist-origins-of-trump-s-when-the-looting-starts-the-shooting-starts-quote/ar-BB14LOdX

Trump did not coin the phrase “when the looting starts, the shooting starts.” The racist line is half a century old, and combative Miami Police Chief Walter Headley Jr. originally used it during the height of civil rights protests in the 1960s.  

Headley led the Florida city’s law enforcement from 1948 until his sudden death in 1968. He attracted national attention and condemnation in December 1967, when he threatened to step up already severe policing practices that included use of tear gas and an aggressive stop-and-frisk policy.

“This is war,” Headley told reporters,   according to a United Press International article  from the time. He described his problem with “young hoodlums, from 15 to 21, who have taken advantage of the civil rights campaign.”

“We don’t mind being accused of police brutality,” Headley said. “They haven’t seen anything yet.”

The police chief then explained that he maintained order by threatening violence: “When the looting starts, the shooting starts.” 

JohnRussell
1.1.25  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.24    one month ago
The phrase itself comes from a December 1967 press conference held by then-Miami police chief Walter Headley, in which he declared a “get tough” policy — a “war” on crime in black neighborhoods in Miami. Or as Headley was quoted in   news reports   at the time, “young hoodlums, from 15 to 21, who have taken advantage of the civil rights campaign.”

“We don’t mind being accused of police brutality,” Headley   said . “They haven’t seen anything yet. Community relations and all that sort of thing have failed. We have done everything we could, sending speakers out and meeting with Negro leaders. But it has amounted to nothing.”

The chief added that Miami hadn’t had a “serious problem with civil uprising and looting because I’ve let the word filter down that when the looting starts, the shooting starts.”

Headley said at the press conference that patrols in black neighborhoods would be armed with shotguns and police dogs.

The police chief was known for his aggressive “stop and frisk” policy, which often escalated police encounters. In February 1968, for example, police suspected a teenager had carried a concealed knife into a pool hall. In 2018,   The Washington Post   detailed what happened next: Police officers dangled the teen by his feet over a bridge 100 feet above the Miami River.

The Post noted   a report   from the National Commission on the Causes and Prevention of Violence published the following year, in 1969, that said the policies had left the black community in Miami “in a state of continued agitation” from December 1967 to August 1968. 

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/when-the-looting-starts-the-shooting-starts-trump-miami-police-chief-walter-headley

CB
1.1.26  CB   replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.6    one month ago
when the looting starts, the shooting will start

Is not a Trump 'original' so we can go look for the historical context, as we do for phrases uttered and recessed in memory:

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/trump-uses-looting-quote-from-ex-miami-police-chief-walter-headley-11643036

On the left: Chief Walter Headley.

In the Miami of the 1960s, Liberty City was boiling over. 

Protests and black-empowerment rallies sprang up in response to aggressive policing of black neighborhoods, stop-and-frisk policies, and a police chief whose "get tough" crime-fighting approach amounted to a declaration of war on the black community.

A Miami Herald article from December 1967 said then-Miami Police Chief Walter Headley would arm his officers with shotguns and dogs to "cut crimes in the city's slums" rather than build a community-relations program.

"We haven't had any serious problems with civil uprisings and looting because I've let the word filter down that when the looting starts, the shooting starts," Headley said, according to the Herald .

"[Headley] said the major group his 'get tough' policy is aimed at is young Negro males, from 15 to 21," the paper wrote.

"Felons will learn that they can't be bonded out from the morgue," Headley said at the time. "We don't mind being accused of police brutality. They haven't seen anything yet."

Why did a sitting president think to reach back into a controversial statement in his lifetime and reinvigorate it. I will answer that: Because it comes from Trump's heart.

Trump is a bitter old racist and this dredging up of the 'sentiment' establishes it for the voters of 2020 to see who this man really is we have been enduring under the past three years!

evilgenius
1.1.27  evilgenius  replied to  badfish @1.1.8    one month ago
Remember when riots broke out after the Somali cop shot the white lady? Me neither

I do remember the last time there were BLM protesters in Minneapolis that blocked traffic and posters here said they should be run over.

Trout Giggles
1.1.28  Trout Giggles  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1.5    one month ago

But he did say when the looting begins then the shooting begins

Also:

On Twitter, President Donald Trump instead aggressively insulted elected officials in Minneapolis. “A total lack of leadership,” he wrote. “Either the very weak Radical Left Mayor, Jacob Frey, get his act together and bring the City under control, or I will send in the National Guard & get the job done right.”

and this:  

“Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way. Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts.” https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/05/trump-urges-shooting-looters-s-unconstitutional/612322/

This is the entire tweet:

As cable news networks carried images of fires and destructive protests in Minneapolis, the president tweeted at 12:53 a.m. ET: "these THUGS are dishonoring the memory of George Floyd, and I won't let that happen. Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way. Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts. Thank you!" https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-tweeted-a-threat-to-have-looters-shot-twitter-put-a-warning-label-on-it/ar-BB14Kpgi

bugsy
1.1.29  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.10    one month ago
The phrase refers to police and law enforcement shooting looters. 

No it doesn't. He is referring to the fact, now proven correct, that when you have looters and rioters, those same looters and rioters will soon be shooting.

7 people shot by looters and rioters in Louisville, Kentucky, another liberal stronghold.

CB
1.1.30  CB   replied to  bugsy @1.1.29    one month ago

That's reckless nonsense. You need to do your research. Chief Walter Headley and the people around the time understood his meaning best. Your revisionist version is inappropriate.

JohnRussell
1.1.31  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @1.1.29    one month ago

If you want to be so consistently wrong, go at it. 

Everyone but Trumpsters know what the phrase means, it is all over the news. 

bugsy
1.1.32  bugsy  replied to  CB @1.1.30    one month ago

I find it hilarious that you guys normally want to portray Trump as being an idiot and never really know what he is talking about, but NOW somehow want to believe he is up on his history and is repeating something someone said back in the 60s.

What I said is correct. If you don't remember, go back and re read my comment.

bugsy
1.1.33  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.31    one month ago
If you want to be so consistently wrong, go at it.

Says the guy who was consistently wrong over the past three years about Russia collusion.

"Everyone but Trumpsters know what the phrase means, it is all over the news"

The left wing media NOW wants you to believe Trump is smart enough to conjur a quote from some obscure person in the 60s, even after complaining for years he is an idiot and never understands what he is saying?

Get real. Seems like the dog whistles leftists are always crowing about are heard only by leftists.

JohnRussell
1.1.34  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @1.1.33    one month ago

I think he asked one of his gofers to find him some phrases related to looting and they found this one and he liked the way he sounded. 

Even without the 60's reference it is obvious what Trump means. 

"“Just spoke to Governor Tim Walz and told him that the Military is with him all the way. Any difficulty and we will assume control but, when the looting starts, the shooting starts. Thank you!”"

He's not talking about criminals shooting , he's talking about the military shooting the criminals.  Its obvious.  That is why all news organizations reported it that way. Only Trump and his supporters are lying about what he meant now. 

bugsy
1.1.35  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.34    one month ago
He's not talking about criminals shooting

OK, I will go with your scenario.

So...tell me...the looting has started and has been going for three days, and more than likely going to happen again tonight.

Who is doing the shooting?

Hint....it's not the national guard or the cops

JohnRussell
1.1.36  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  bugsy @1.1.35    one month ago

Im not going over this with you ten times. 

CB
1.1.37  CB   replied to  bugsy @1.1.32    one month ago

What I find pitifully pathetic is that after three solid months of Coronavirus coverage where Trump was combative with medical professionals, scientists and Press; we now have our coverage of a black man's murder in Minnesota knocking coronavirus coverage off the air, and Trump is combative with a mayor, dredging up quotes from an "old slave timey southern police chief (he being a lifelong New Yorker too!)," and attacking the media.

Trump is a chump that seems to look for the punch.

bugsy
1.1.38  bugsy  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.36    one month ago
Im not going over this with you ten times. 

It's OK, I understand that is your way of acknowledging I'm right...again...

bugsy
1.1.39  bugsy  replied to  CB @1.1.37    one month ago
dredging up quotes from an "old slave timey southern police chief

Again, how do you know he got that from an "old slave timey southern police chief"...whatever that is?

You have been saying for years how much of a dumbass he is, but NOW, because it fits your narrative, he is smart enough to quote some obscure person in history.

Ok will address this with you since John refuses to answer....

So...tell me...the looting has started and has been going for three days, and more than likely going to happen again tonight.

Who is doing the shooting?

Hint....it's not the national guard or the cops

Can you answer that?

CB
1.1.40  CB   replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.34    one month ago

And we know lying is what Trump does daily. BTW, you don't have to interpret for Bugsy; Twitter gets it and it 'flagged' the provacateur president a second time. All up in Trump's grill. Also, Trump was very much alive during the era of protest and rioting in the 60's. Undoubtedly, he heard the phrase and considered it significant to restate at this time.

Just Jim NC TttH
1.1.41  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  bugsy @1.1.39    one month ago

Per Mr. Trump......................

"Looting leads to shooting, and that's why a man was shot and killed in Minneapolis on Wednesday night - or look at what just happened in Louisville with 7 people shot. I don't want this to happen, and that's what the expression put out last night means," Trump tweeted Friday afternoon, shortly before a scheduled press conference in the White House Rose Garden.
"It was spoken as a fact, not as a statement. It's very simple, nobody should have any problem with this other than the haters, and those looking to cause trouble on social media," the president continued. "Honor the memory of George Floyd!"

This should be good. Okay JR...............GO

LOL

bugsy
1.1.42  bugsy  replied to  CB @1.1.40    one month ago
Twitter gets it and it 'flagged' the provacateur president a second time.

Sorry....fail

Twitter's "fact checker" is a known far leftist loon who has posted some serious disturbing things about Trump and his supporters on....gasp...Twitter.

Anyone who takes their "fact checking" serious is.....well......never mind.

JohnRussell
1.1.43  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.41    one month ago
Ok will address this with you since John refuses to answer....

He's lying. What else is new?

bugsy
1.1.44  bugsy  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.41    one month ago

Hey!!!!...Biden said that he was being a "wise guy" when he said you are not black if you vote for Trump, and leftists tried to spin that as being an apology.

They should give the same "benefit" to Trump.

Just Jim NC TttH
1.1.45  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  bugsy @1.1.44    one month ago

[deleted]

Paula Bartholomew
1.1.46  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.10    one month ago

Doesn't that tweet also mention getting the military involved?  If it did, I think it also implies that he will give orders for the soldiers to start shooting the looters.  

KDMichigan
1.1.47  KDMichigan  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1.46    one month ago
If it did, I think it also implies that he will give orders for the soldiers to start shooting the looters.  

Of course you do, that doesn't mean it's true [deleted]

In Minnesota you can not even defend your own store from being looted with a firearm.  

Kavika
1.1.48  Kavika   replied to  KDMichigan @1.1.47    one month ago

That is true, but the second part of that is if you feel your life is being threatened you can use deadly force. 

Currently, at this very moment, Native Americans including AIM and black business owners are protecting their businesses and neighborhoods and they are armed. 

I just got off the phone with cousins in south Minneapolis and they are armed and protecting businesses in the NA community. 

Best bet for the looters is to steer clear. 

CB
1.1.49  CB   replied to  bugsy @1.1.35    one month ago

Some ass-hats did the shooting. What is your point for not keeping up with what's happening?

Once you open the door yes, the lunatics (like a virus being contained) creep out into the streets too!

72932078a587363e4d2cccd1881edb9a.jpg goes the dynamite if it finds a proper spark!

Split Personality
1.1.50  Split Personality  replied to  badfish @1.1.3    one month ago

If you are referring to the shooting death of Wayne Reyez, !st Warrior has now reported that the Ojibew tribe identified Wanyne as registered member of the tribe in 2006.

https://kbjr6.com/2020/05/28/former-officer-who-kneeled-on-george-floyds-neck-leading-to-his-death-involved-in-prior-use-of-force-incidents/

In 2006, Chauvin and five others responded to a stabbing. After Wayne Reyes allegedly pulled a shotgun on the officers, one of the officers shot and killed Reyes, according to a report by a police watchdog nonprofit based in Minneapolis, according to the Star Tribune.

The Leech Lake Band of Ojibwe confirmed for KBJR 6 on Thursday Reyez was an enrolled band member.

As far as Klobachar is concerned it had to go to a grand jury, which it did in 2007.

They cleared "this cop" and the six others who shot at Reyez 42 times when he emerged from his truck with an (unloaded) shot gun.

Reyez was being sought for earlier stabbing his girlfriend and another male friend.

CB
1.1.51  CB   replied to  bugsy @1.1.39    one month ago

See @1.1.49.

BTW, I don't know where Trump picked up the terminology from. The point is he did. You don't know anything about it to defend.

He said it. He got caught. He can't spin his big lying mouth out of it—and nor can you.

Moreover, if he did not know it was uttered in the 60's, then when exposed to the reality of it, apologize and/or renounce the remark. Don't try to spin out of it completely on his back!

You need to stop enabling Trump on Twitter. Twitter wants its decency standards back intact!

CB
1.1.52  CB   replied to  bugsy @1.1.42    one month ago

And you say that to say what? Are you or are you are not a Trump conservative enabler? Well "bugsy" I have some news for you: we all come from a background somewhere and depending on the day of the week it might appear or be disturbing, also your background does not appear to stop you from speaking up today.

The "loon" as you call it has the duties and responsibilities granted him or her by Twitter; judge the output properly and not the person, per se. As for me, I don't use the cite-so I would not be able to write further or deeper on the matter.

CB
1.1.53  CB   replied to  bugsy @1.1.44    one month ago

18,000 plus lies strong does not qualify as benefit of doubt.

bugsy
1.1.54  bugsy  replied to  CB @1.1.53    one month ago

You sure do seem to have some sort of infatuation with me.

CB
1.1.55  CB   replied to  bugsy @1.1.54    one month ago

Infatuation? Really. How indulgent.

Paula Bartholomew
1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1    one month ago

Don't count on it.  There are still stores to be looted.

Just Jim NC TttH
1.2.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.2    one month ago

Yep. New excuse will be "it took them too long" and away we will go again tonight. 

user image
1.3    replied to  JohnRussell @1    one month ago

No it wont. What is going on in the streets has nothing to do with this incident and everything to do with finding a reason to break laws and put money in your own pocket. What's going on in the streets is every bit as disgusting as the incident they are "protesting". If they truly felt for the victim, they would take money from their own pockets(lol), and send it to the victims family. But do they do that? No, they do something that affects people not involved in the incident to benefit themselves. Disgusting.

To be clear I do not support the officer or police brutality. However I do view this as one of many police encounters that turned out tragically. No need to turn it into systemic racism or an example of how all police act. He has been condemned and punished. What more do these protesters want?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.3.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  @1.3    one month ago

I don't have a problem with protests that don't turn violent and don't have looting. I can understand the frustration of the black community when they see murder by those who are supposed to protect them. What I don't understand, is looting your own neighborhood. 

user image
1.3.2    replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.3.1    one month ago

Yes somewhat like the protests we had here in michigan. They were armed yet peaceful. However many on the left scolded them. I dont see those same people showing the same level of disdain for these riots. They merely report objectively and then empathize with the protestors. Which enables their negative behavior and continues to destroy their communities. Its a shame the people who get these mobs riled up like the news media dont have to pay for that  type of thing

CB
1.3.3  CB   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.3.1    one month ago

You act up where the problem occurs. I mean what sense does it make to 'transport' the problem to a 'cold' other site? The officer is the issue here. Keep his damn knee literally and symbolically off the neck of a black man who did not get his day in court - hell, he did not get to the police station and that which comes after, an upset to the peace and calm need not materialize. The looting is an effect; its cause is not being heard by police culture in the towns involved!

CB
1.3.4  CB   replied to  @1.3.2    one month ago

When multiple images and videos of white men become regular toxic oppressed symbols on television screens, you will scream about civil liberties (right to life!) too. When we start seeing white men mashed in the streets under policing actions, shot dead without a proper judge and jury decision, or beaten to  bloody pulps for seemingly nonspecific "expression" to authorities, —register your 'whataboutism." Okay? Don't make unfair/unequal comparisons.

If you can't see the problem, stand back some, you're too close to it.

KDMichigan
1.3.5  KDMichigan  replied to  CB @1.3.4    one month ago

Hillaryious post. Bad cops are about more than just you but I'm not surprised you are unable to see that.

pat wilson
1.3.6  pat wilson  replied to  @1.3.2    one month ago
They were armed yet peaceful.

Right.

user image
1.3.7    replied to  pat wilson @1.3.6    one month ago

So you have one picture of a guy screaming when there are multiple videos of stores like target being looted clean and burned to the ground? How does that help this situation?

user image
1.3.8    replied to  CB @1.3.4    one month ago

More whites are killed by cops than blacks every year. We just arent so whiny about it

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

The above link also proves brutality is declining, not rising

KDMichigan
1.3.9  KDMichigan  replied to  pat wilson @1.3.6    one month ago

You attribute this to the same thing as looting and burning? Fucking Hillaryious.

Better grab a shovel. You need to dig deeper.

CB
1.3.10  CB   replied to  @1.3.7    one month ago

Yeah. Let's see some Michigan police 'leg' throttlin those SEVERAL sweet necks into 'oblivion.' Didn't happen. After all, surgical masks don't operate to stop microbes going around the sides and entering into their bodies. Clearly, these possible asymptomatic men could be 'death-wishing' and threatening the lives of police officers.

Just goes to show you what you are concerned about and what you are not.

Paula Bartholomew
1.3.11  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.3.1    one month ago

Once this dies down, the residents who looted and burned their own neighborhood stores will piss and moan about not having businesses to meet their needs.  I am betting that no liquor stores or BBQ/fast food joints were destroyed.

KDMichigan
1.3.12  KDMichigan  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.3.11    one month ago
I am betting that no liquor stores or BBQ/fast food joints were destroyed.

Joe Biden is that you?

CB
1.3.13  CB   replied to  @1.3.8    one month ago

I said to you: "Don't make unfair/unequal comparisons."

Maybe y'all should gear up a "White Lives Matter Movement"?  ⇒I would seriously consider joining in.

Now, I know you didn't try to compare what best can be described as justified shootings (under the law) or at worse unjustified shooting which your statistics does not plainly state. For that matter if "more whites" are lame enough to let civil servants of the law 'bust a cap' on them without complaining, then what is the advantage of the majority or white privilege?

Black people are not whining. They are being the squeaky wheel that gets the damn grease. Observe the distinction.

When we start seeing white men mashed in the streets under policing actions, shot dead without a proper judge and jury decision, or beaten to  bloody pulps for seemingly nonspecific "expression" to authorities, —register your 'whataboutism."

If the videos and narratives exist ⇐ y'all should whine. Save yourselves. White People Matter.

CB
1.3.14  CB   replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.3.11    one month ago

20150187741174-1.jpg?w=900

JohnRussell
1.4  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @1    one month ago

The cop has been charged with 3rd degree murder. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.4.1  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  JohnRussell @1.4    one month ago

They are only charging him with something they are sure they can get a conviction on. If you overcharge the cop walks. 

Just Jim NC TttH
1.4.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  JohnRussell @1.4    one month ago

Good........Now let's see if indeed it calms the herd.................

Just Jim NC TttH
1.4.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.4.1    one month ago

Exactly and that is why it took four days to finally arrest him. They know he's guilty as hell and had to make sure the charge would fit the crime and stick.'

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

It Is ME
1.4.5  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @1.4    one month ago

What about his Cohorts ?

Anything ?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.4.6  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to    one month ago

I kind of thought so myself, but if you overcharge the cop walks. They even gave the second charge of manslaughter... if he gets that, there will be more riots. 

Paula Bartholomew
1.4.7  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1.4    one month ago

He is also charged with manslaughter.  It would seem that he and Mr. Floyd once worked security jobs together so I have to wonder if this was a grudge thing against Mr Floyd for some reason.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
1.4.8  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  It Is ME @1.4.5    one month ago

I think charging them will be harder. I mean the just stood there. Maybe involuntary manslaughter?

Paula Bartholomew
1.4.9  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  It Is ME @1.4.5    one month ago

My guess would be accessory to murder under the color of authority.

It Is ME
1.4.10  It Is ME  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.4.8    one month ago
Maybe involuntary manslaughter?

To me....since they were there in "Badge" and actually involved/handcuffing/walking him and watching, something would definitely be better than Nothing !

pat wilson
1.4.11  pat wilson  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.4.8    one month ago
I mean the just stood there.

Not really, there's more video showing three more cops kneeling on him. This is just nauseating.

Trout Giggles
1.4.12  Trout Giggles  replied to  JohnRussell @1.4    one month ago

I figured they would charge him with manslaughter

Just Jim NC TttH
1.4.13  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4.12    one month ago
I figured they would charge him with manslaughter

Might have been able to but when he held the guy down after he stated he couldn't breathe, it may have gone past the point of manslaughter as the guy was cuffed and subdued. Thus the harsher charge but it is still in the mix of charges as I understand.

Trout Giggles
1.4.14  Trout Giggles  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.4.13    one month ago

Even if he's convicted of voluntary manslaughter I think that carries a penalty of 20 to life doesn't it?

I think any murder charge will be hard to get a conviction on because one must prove intent for murder. They have to prove that the cop intended to kill him when he put his knee on his neck

Just Jim NC TttH
1.4.15  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4.14    one month ago

Good points. And as said, I think manslaughter is still on the table as a secondary charge.

loki12
1.4.16  loki12  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4.14    one month ago
Even if he's convicted of voluntary manslaughter I think that carries a penalty of 20 to life doesn't it?

15 is the Max penalty for Voluntary in MN. 3rd Degree has 25 as it's Max.  That's the State, the Feds may take a bite at the apple afterwards. Civil right violations etc....

I tried to pull it directly from the state.....but it is overwhelmed.

https://www.hg.org/legal-articles/murder-charges-in-minnesota-43141

Dismayed Patriot
1.4.17  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.4.2    one month ago
Now let's see if indeed it calms the herd.................

Just more dehumanizing speech evoking the memory of when bigoted white southerners killed hundreds of thousands of patriotic American soldiers all to protect their fantasy right to own black Americans as cattle.

The vast majority of the protestors have been peaceful, these few handfuls of opportunists looting and burning buildings should be arrested and held to account. But let's not lump in all those who are peacefully expressing their frustration at the blatant and obvious racial bias in our justice system, not just in Minneapolis but across the US.

Paula Bartholomew
1.4.18  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.4.14    one month ago

I don't care what charge sticks as long as it sends him away for a very long time.  Cops in prison have a very short shelf life.

Tacos!
1.4.19  Tacos!  replied to  JohnRussell @1.4    one month ago
The cop has been charged with 3rd degree murder.

3rd degree might not sound like much, but it is still a murder charge. Minimum sentence is supposed to be 12 1/2 years. It makes the most sense. It is apparent from the video that the cop didn't intend to kill anyone. He just created a situation where it was highly likely and he didn't give a shit what the result was. That makes it 3rd degree. It's commonly referred to as "depraved heart murder."

CB
1.4.20  CB   replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.4.13    one month ago

You can not untentionally 'throttle' the neck area of a man laying prone on the ground with no support for your hands (in the pockets), as you exert the full weight of your upper torso down through the bones in the knee as a focal point:

FULL VIDEO : 4 Minneapolis Police Officers Fired Over George Floyd Death

As you can tell this is not the whole video, but it is the caption provided by the poster. You can get some 'insight' into the real-time scene. One: The officers seem to be 'convinced' he is drugs. Two: You do not 'ride' the neck of anybody high on drugs-medical or illegal- because our police are not licensed trained medics!

Tacos!
1.4.21  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.4.20    one month ago
You can not untentionally 'throttle' the neck area of a man laying prone on the ground

The charge doesn't reflect a believe that the act was unintentional; only that the outcome was not intended. It also reflects the theory that the outcome should come as no surprise to anyone who cares about human life.

It's a legal distinction, but one that I think will be lost on most people.

CB
1.4.22  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.4.21    one month ago
The charge doesn't reflect a believe that the act was unintentional; only that the outcome was not intended.

How would you react if the public is advising you to remove your knee, set him up, take him off his side, okay that's enough, man! let him take a breath!?

Honestly, I would like to think you would not arrogantly continue to apply pressure to a near corpse. Then, there is the: he is not moving, oh god this is whack, check his pulse!

No Tacos! There is willful killing too. This so-called officer was a willful killer that day. And that Asian cop caught in the image @1.4.20: Ridiculous.

Tacos!
1.4.23  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.4.22    one month ago
How would you react if the public is advising you to remove your knee

I'm not a cop, so I wouldn't have my knee on the guy in the first place, and if people were alerting me to someone's suffering, I would obviously listen.

Cops are a different matter. And I don't mean to beat up all cops. But through experience, they learn that suspects lie to them all the time about the pains they have. Furthermore, their friends and neighbors routinely heckle them while doing their job and accuse them of abuse even when they aren't abusing anyone. So genuine protests fall on deaf ears.

Many cops have come to disconnect themselves from the rest of humanity. They see it as an effective and safe way to approach the job. Or at least, they tell themselves that. For some of them, they are just rationalizing the brutality that the badge allows them to dispense.

We have some real and pervasive problems with policing in our society. Some of it is bad people who put on the uniform, but some of it is also the fault of long-standing policies and attitudes. The job can turn good people into mean cops. It also attracts bad people to begin with. We have a lot of work to do.

This so-called officer was a willful killer that day.

No, I don't see any evidence that he intentionally killed anyone. It would be easier if he had intended that. The deeper problem is that he didn't see a human being under his knee.

CB
1.4.24  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.4.23    one month ago
So genuine protests fall on deaf ears.

Mr. Floyd is not responsible for the psychological or pathological disease states of police. Indeed, since they stopped Mr. Floyd; arrested him; they owe him a safe trip to jail and  to, if needed, a day in court. That did not happen here-he did not make it into a vehicle transport. So what if he complained about not getting into a police enclosure (cage) due to his claustrophobia- hog-tie him and order a different transport vehicle .

Instead, this officer rode his neck with a deadly technique:

In recent years, many police departments have trained officers to be alert to the risk of what's called " positional asphyxia," the possibility that prolonged restraint of a suspect in a prone position can be deadly. It's a lesson some in the Minneapolis Police Department already learned once, 10 years ago . https://www.npr.org/2020/05/29/865341322/minneapolis-police-were-sued-a-decade-ago-in-similar-restraint-case

The police technique is called 'prone position' - positional asphyxia and Minnesota dealt with it in 2010:

Minneapolis paid out $3 million dollars to settle a lawsuit over the 2010 death of David Smith, 28. The young black man was mentally ill, his attorneys said, and died after officers Tasered him and then held him face-down on the floor for several minutes. One of them kept a knee on his back even after he stopped responding to questions.
https://www.npr.org/2020/05/29/865341322/minneapolis-police-were-sued-a-decade-ago-in-similar-restraint-case

There is relevant video of the incident on the link!

CB
2  CB     one month ago

Yes, let's all restore the pretty picture of calm. Let me remind everybody that, the streets are not torched because a black man is arrested, or beat by officers. This "officer" rode and mashed the life out of Mr. Floyd while he pleaded for himself and described the agony of his life ebbing away. While the public looked on and was made complicit in its inefficaciousness to cause right to occur.

This is not about looting or fires, this is about why police are allowed to injure, maim, and kill without (reasonable) boundaries. This officer, I wonder, in his file, does he have any record of 'riding' a white man's neck in the same manner he did to Mr. Floyd.

badfish
2.1  badfish  replied to  CB @2    one month ago
his is not about looting or fires, this is about why police are allowed to injure, maim, and kill without (reasonable) boundaries. This officer, I wonder, in his file, does he have any record of 'riding' a white man's neck in the same manner he did to Mr. Floyd.

Actually he does, he has a brutal record, he's a bad apple and a monster. Here in lies the problem. When the Somali cop shot the woman in the ally in Minneapolis there were no riots, he was defended on this forum and we waited and waited and justice was served. It's what we have to do. It's not that she was white and he was black, it's that he violated the law that we live by. It's not always about race but too often than not that's what comes of it. It's about bad cops.

CB
2.1.1  CB   replied to  badfish @2.1    one month ago

I agree it is about bad cops. The question becomes what does it take to get rid of or not select bad cops in the first place. What do we need, spies in the department to ferret out the baddest seeds who poison (corrupt) the force? Good police and their administrators should be tired of this 'blight' on their otherwise upwardly motivated departments.

Good policing should not require a 'see-saw' effect with bad policing.

Black people protest and riot, not because it is what black people are prone to do. There is a catalyst: The continuing violence to black men—whom we love.

We can wait for justice. We do wait for justice. So why don't we recognize justice when it shows up?

Often, justice does not come properly or sensibly. That is, local laws can be calibrated to such a degree of 'gray area' that the offending civil authority escapes ("leaps") from the maul of justice he or she (usually he) should be grasped in by "creative" medium level to high paid lawyers. 

The Magic Eight Ball
2.1.2  The Magic Eight Ball  replied to  CB @2.1.1    one month ago
The question becomes what does it take to get rid of or not select bad cops in the first place.

cops like that represent the smallest minority of police.   most are really good people.

but the biggest screening tool they can use?   is locking the bad ones up for a very long time.

once they see their fellow cops going to jail they think about their own actions a bit more.

and seriously,

how much training does it take for a person to know if you kneel on someones neck for 8 minutes... they will die.

the cuffs were on, any fight was over... I mean wtf?    they obviously need to review their training  program

CB
2.1.3  CB   replied to  The Magic Eight Ball @2.1.2    one month ago

I can surely say I am surrounded by good police. They have even been in my home on several official occasions looking at my neighborhood security footages. We are not harassed in the street, or in the stores. So, I know police can be agreeable. I have seen them be their best with others in the community too.

I have a hard time understanding the killings in other parts of the country for the above reasoning alone. I mean I can process what occurs, but it does seem surreal to me—though very real.

This was not good or bad training. Mr. Floyd vocalized his feeling throughout the ordeal from beginning to just before going permanently silent. The public shouted warnings, advice, and questions? The police officers simply did not heed. Now, Mr. Floyd is lost to this world forever.

We should all be haunted by one simple word uttered by Mr. Floyd:"Please."

The Magic Eight Ball
3  The Magic Eight Ball    one month ago
Officer Derek Chauvin Arrested In Death Of George Floyd

good,

that was a clear cut case of negligent manslaughter

Tacos!
4  Tacos!    one month ago

Hopefully the arrest will help to calm things a little.

That is not to criticize the protestors. I think we are too quick to condemn the chaos and destruction we see. What else would you like people to do? The have no hope it will ever get better. This shit has been going on since forever. Clearly, there is a culture in policing that says it's ok to treat human beings like this. This isn't just one cop. It's also the others who stand around watching it happen. And it's the cops who trained them to treat human beings worse than animals.

People are abused like this by cops every day somewhere in this country. They die on the streets, and in jail where it's less public. 

Notwithstanding the occasional prosecution, nothing is done about it. Where are the new laws and regulations that will shape more humane police procedures? Politicians are afraid to campaign on the notion that they will reform policing. Judges are mostly former prosecutors and tend to side with police.  Will anyone stand up for the people?

So if you see this happening over and over, especially in your community, I totally get why you might go out into the streets and light shit on fire or throw rocks and bottles.

Now if you're stealing the cash register from Target, you're not angry. You're just a thief.

But I don't blame these people one bit for wanting to watch the world burn.

CB
4.1  CB   replied to  Tacos! @4    one month ago

Good comment.  I would like to add. Target and other wealthy companies should go out of the stores when this happen and stand with the people who buy their merchandise. Let it be known: Target stands up for what is right in the communities they serve!

Police departments need to push the loser officers out into the system of justice. Don't cover them. Don't enable them. Don't associate the badge with them one second longer than circumstances require.

The public needs attention and listening too. The public does not 'act-up' blacks, whites, Hispanics, Indians, Asians, and more every day of the week. Rioting and its associate looting and violence come from a lack of being respected and heard.

CB
5  CB     one month ago

By the way, at what point did the decision to call in a medical 'wagon' come? What sense does it make to stay riding the man's back and jugular after calling for medical back-up?