╌>

WATCH: Rioters Set Fire To Home With Child Inside, Then Block Firefighters' Access; Emotional Police Chief Details Incident

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  the-peoples-fish-still-hand-of-the-queen  •  4 years ago  •  16 comments

By:   realDailyWire (The Daily Wire)

WATCH: Rioters Set Fire To Home With Child Inside, Then Block Firefighters' Access; Emotional Police Chief Details Incident
On Saturday, Richmond Police Chief Will Smith was overcome with emotion detailing one of the worst acts of violence carried out in the city during the previous night’s rioting, ostensibly over the death of George Floyd. According to Smith, rioters set fire to an occupied multi-family residence with a child inside, then repeatedly blocked firefighters’ access to […]

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

By Amanda Prestigiacomo• Jun 1st, 2020 DailyWire.com •GettyImages-1239108412.jpg?auto=format&f Alex Wong/Getty Images

On Saturday, Richmond Police Chief Will Smith was overcome with emotion detailing one of the worst acts of violence carried out in the city during the previous night's rioting, ostensibly over the death of George Floyd.

According to Smith, rioters set fire to an occupied multi-family residence with a child inside, then repeatedly blocked firefighters' access to the scene.

Thankfully, officers found a way to secure access and saved the family, including the child.

"One incident that is particularly poignant, that truly illustrates the seriousness of the issues we're facing," Smith told reporters. "Protesters intentionally set a fire to an occupied building on [West] Broad Street. This is not the only occupied building that has been set fire to in the last two days."

"They prohibited us from getting on scene," the police chief continued. "We had to force our way to make a clear path for the fire department."

"Protesters intercepted that fire apparatus several blocks away with vehicles and blocked that fire department's access to the structure fire," Smith said. "Inside that home was a child."

"Officers were able to -," Smith attempted to continue, though he was overcome with emotion, "help those people out of the house."

"We were able to get the fire department there safely," the emotional police chief added.

"When you take a legitimate issue and hijack it for unknown reasons, that is unacceptable to me," Smith stated firmly, "it's unacceptable to the Richmond Police Department, unacceptable to the city of Richmond."

Protests began popping up across the nation on Tuesday over the death of Floyd, a black man who died after a police officer had his knee on the 46-year-old's neck for over eight minutes during an arrest, as shown in viral video footage.

"An eight-minute clip filmed by a person on the street shows Floyd telling police he can't breathe and begging the cop on top of him to stop before he falls unconscious," The Daily Wire reported Tuesday. "Officer Derek Chauvin was identified as the officer who knelt on Floyd's neck outside Cup Foods on Chicago Avenue and East 38th Street."

"He's not even resisting arrest right now, bro," one bystander is heard telling the officers, according to the video. "You're f***ing stopping his breathing right now, you think that's cool?"

The protests quickly turned ugly; arson, looting, and violence spiked in places like Minneapolis, Los Angeles, Atlanta, New York City, Rochester, Richmond, and other cities.

Since the incident, all four officers involved in the arrest have been fired, investigations from the FBI and state law enforcement have been opened, and, on Friday, the officer at the center of the incident was taken into custody.

WATCH:

Chief William C. Smith comments on a challenging situation during last night's protests in #RVA. You can watch the rest of this @CityRichmondVA press conference here: https://t.co/jvzqcaRA3ipic.twitter.com/LCHrIIAeM2 — Richmond Police (@RichmondPolice) May 31, 2020

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

Here, if a car blocks a hydrant and the FD needs that hydrant to fight a fire, they will break both front windows and thread the hose through the car.  The FD there should have turned their hoses on those animals prohibiting them from doing their jobs.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.1  Ronin2  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2    4 years ago

I agree with that. 

If they are blocking a fire truck or ambulance from gaining access to area of need- blare the horns really loudly- and drive into the crowd. Only the Darwin award winners won't move.

Enough of this garbage about the rioters lives being worth more than every else.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

It's really sickening to see these stories.  I get terrorists are going to do despicable things and they need to be punished, severely.

What's incomprehensible is some of these localities  "leaders" and some of their followers continuing  to make excuses for these terrorists.  What sort of a person gives money to put these monsters back on the street?

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
4.1  1stwarrior  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    4 years ago

Sean - you and I asked this question a couple years ago during the last "riots" - where are the Black leaders?  Why aren't they trying to stop this carnage?

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
4.1.1  Colour Me Free  replied to  1stwarrior @4.1    4 years ago
where are the Black leaders?  Why aren't they trying to stop this carnage?

Hello 1st ...

My question is who are the Black leaders?  There are 3 very impressive strong black women speaking out and running cities, one is speaking out from congress …...…………. there is a presidential election going on and the candidates are sure as hell not leaders …  I thought Obama, after leaving office, would become a driving force .. a strong representative of the black community .. an orator [community organizer] like the Obama('s), politics aside, as a private citizen(s) with his/her recognition, I believe could make a difference...

My knew term 'selective outrage' is an on going process … there are too many 'squirrels' out there!  The view needs to be expanded .. in my opinion that is - there has been / are struggles within my state .. the Native American communities (of which we have a few) are finally getting recognition and support .. long ways to go - but men like Senator Jon Tester ..  Montana's governor Steve Bullock have made everyone take a look at the reality being faced by indigenous peoples .. this needs to be a national movement for blacks and the indigenous population - there is nothing that can repay the events of the past .. yet why are 'we' repeating it?

Peace!

I seem to be more frustrated than I thought .. I do not seem to be able to stay on topic!

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Colour Me Free @4.1.1    4 years ago

We need all leaders no matter what their color or race is to try to halt this.

GaJenn78
Sophomore Silent
4.1.3  GaJenn78  replied to  Colour Me Free @4.1.1    4 years ago

Atlanta's Mayor Bottoms is kicking ass along with her COP! 

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
4.1.4  Colour Me Free  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1.2    4 years ago
We need all leaders no matter what their color or race is to try to halt this.

That is the kind of thinking that ensures nothing will ever be accomplished !  I agree leadership is needed .. yet without strong leadership in the black community i.e in my opinion, a black man or woman  .. no one is coming to the table..   be more than happy to be proven wrong!

Do you believe Biden can bring black community together? 

I once thought he would be a healing figure .. someone that would remain above the fray, my fantasy was dashed - he could not help himself - if Obama (basically Michelle) does not step up - Biden will most likely struggle to be elected... Sadly still may be a bit of a struggle with it!

Hope you are feeling well Paula

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
4.1.5  Colour Me Free  replied to  GaJenn78 @4.1.3    4 years ago

Agreed!

Colour Me Free
Senior Quiet
4.1.6  Colour Me Free  replied to  Colour Me Free @4.1.4    4 years ago
That is the kind of thinking

poor choice of words....

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
4.1.7  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Colour Me Free @4.1.4    4 years ago

I can't predict but only hope that Biden can.  I am struggling but thank you for asking and hope you and yours are well.

Jeremy Retired in NC
Professor Expert
4.1.8  Jeremy Retired in NC  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @4.1.7    4 years ago
I can't predict but only hope that Biden can.

LMAO.  You know as well as everybody else that's a pipe dream.  Biden didn't do a damn thing during the THREE riots when he was VP.  He won't even come out of his basement.