╌>

Washington Archbishop Condemns Trump's Visit To Catholic Shrine

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  pat-wilson  •  4 years ago  •  97 comments

By:   Carol Kuruvilla (HuffPost)

Washington Archbishop Condemns Trump's Visit To Catholic Shrine
Archbishop Wilton D. Gregory said he finds it "baffling and reprehensible" that a Catholic facility would allow itself to be "manipulated" in this way.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Archbishop Wilton D. Gregory said he finds it "baffling and reprehensible" that a Catholic facility would allow itself to be "manipulated" in this way. By Carol Kuruvilla

Washington's Roman Catholic archbishop has roundly criticized President Donald Trump's visit to the Saint John Paul II National Shrine on Tuesday.

One day after Trump used federal police to forcefully disperse a peaceful protest in front of a D.C. Episcopal church for a photo op with the Bible, Archbishop Wilton Gregory insisted that the former pope the shrine is named after would never have condoned the president's tactics.

"I find it baffling and reprehensible that any Catholic facility would allow itself to be so egregiously misused and manipulated in a fashion that violates our religious principles, which call us to defend the rights of all people even those with whom we might disagree," Gregory, the first Black archbishop of Washington, said in a statement.

Saint Pope John Paul II, known for opposing communism in his native Poland during his papacy, was an "ardent defender of the rights and dignity of human beings," the archbishop said.

"He certainly would not condone the use of tear gas and other deterrents to silence, scatter or intimidate them for a photo opportunity in front of a place of worship and peace," Gregory added.

Trump briefly visited the Saint John Paul II National Shrine with first lady Melania Trump, who identifies as Roman Catholic. The pair posed for media photos before turning to gaze at a statue of the former pope for a few minutes. They also laid a wreath of flowers at the shrine. Trump did not make any public comments at the shrine, The Washington Post reported.

The president is expected to sign an executive order related to religious freedom later on in the day.

The shrine is managed by the conservative lay Catholic men's organization, the Knights of Columbus.

In a statement, its leaders said that the shrine "welcomes all people to come and pray and learn about the legacy of St. John Paul II."

"The White House originally scheduled this as an event for the president to sign an executive order on international religious freedom. This was fitting given St. John Paul II was a tireless advocate of religious liberty throughout his pontificate," the shrine's statement read.

Some Catholic activists gathered outside the shrine to protest Trump's visit. They prayed the rosary and held signs, including one that read, "Our church is not a photo op."

Bob Cooke, a leader for Pax Christi Metro DC-Baltimore, the local chapter of a left-leaning Catholic group, told HuffPost he believes the Trump administration has long acted in ways that are antithetical to the gospel. But violently dispersing peaceful protestors for a photo op while the nation grieves 400 years of racism was "more than many Christians could take."

"So as a Catholic, I needed to be out there today to protest his misuse of Christianity and the Bible for his own temporal, evil plans," Cooke said.

Prayerful protest outside the Basilica waiting for Trump pic.twitter.com/6ouEKpX9Zr — Ryan Koronowski (@koronet) June 2, 2020

Bishop John Stowe, from the Catholic diocese of Lexington, Kentucky, also criticized Trump's visit.

As Trump visits the St John Paul II National Shrine today, I hope someone proclaims today's Gospel (Mark 12:13-17) where Herodians and Pharisees are called out for their hypocrisy. — Bishop John Stowe (@BpStowe) June 2, 2020

Sister Simone Campbell, who leads the Catholic social justice advocacy group Network, accused Trump of using the Catholic faith "in another photo op to defend his appalling refusal to address racism and police violence in the United States."

"He is trying to create a false dichotomy of peaceful protestors versus the Church. That could not be further from the truth, and any Christian who believes it does not understand Jesus's message," Campbell said in a statement.

"Saint John Paul II himself spoke out against racism multiple times during his papacy, I hope President Trump learns that history during his visit," she said.

Rev. James Martin, editor at large of the Jesuit Catholic magazine America, also said that Trump was visiting the shrine "for another photo op at a religious site."

Alex Wong via Getty Images Demonstrators stage a protest near the Saint John Paul II National Shrine, which President Donald Trump visited on June 2 in Washington, D.C.

Gregory's condemnation of Trump's visit to the shrine comes just one day after Washington's Episcopal bishop lashed out at the president for using one of the churches in her diocese for a photo op.

On Monday evening, law enforcement officials in riot gear fired tear gas to disperse demonstrators gathered at Lafayette Square to protest the death of George Floyd, a Black man who was killed in police custody last week in Minneapolis. The square is located right in front of St. John's Church. Clergy who had gathered at the church to offer water and solidarity to protesters were among those who reported being tear-gassed and driven off the church's property.

The president then walked from the White House to pose with a Bible outside of St. John's Church, which had been set on fire during protests a day earlier.

Rev. Mariann Budde, leader of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington, accused Trump of using the Bible and St. John's Church as a backdrop for a message that is "antithetical to the teachings of Jesus and everything that our church stands for."

Budde said that she was sad about the damage to the church, but that she and her diocese still stood in solidarity with protesters demanding an end to police brutality against Black Americans.

"In no way do we support the President's incendiary response to a wounded, grieving nation," Budde said.

Download Calling all HuffPost superfans! Sign up for membership to become a founding member and help shape HuffPost's next chapter Join HuffPost

Carol Kuruvilla Religion Reporter, HuffPost Suggest a correction

Donald Trump Police Brutality Catholic Church Religion and Beliefs Protests

Article is LOCKED by author/seeder
[]

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1  seeder  pat wilson    4 years ago

Ha ! This is almost as bad as Newtie's whore being named Diplomat to the Vatican. 

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1    replied to  pat wilson @1    4 years ago

Hmmm. A black catholic's perspective. Not really surprising.

Good thing most Trump supporters are evangelicals Hahaha.

Besides the catholic church has strayed so far from their roots I don't think anyone really cares what they have to say anymore. We are just waiting for the next alter boy to come forward.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  @1.1    4 years ago

What does "black" have to do with it?

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1.2    replied to  pat wilson @1.1.1    4 years ago

He has probably fell victim to the mainstream coddling that all black people are receiving right now. He probably believes what most progressives believe. That all black people are George Floyd, and all white people(expect the ones who riot and loot and protest with their black friends), are the police officer sitting on their necks. I personally am tired of it. Blacks do not own police brutality. More whites die by cops. We know how it feels. That's why it's hard for us to understand why they can't see it as an individual event and move on us whites and latinos and all other races who have equal or more occurrence of lethal encounters with cops.

In other words it's not his fault he believes that way, he has been brainwashed. I personally really just feel sorry for him. And the other progressives who have been duped.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  @1.1.2    4 years ago
More whites die by cops. We know how it feels.

Proportonitly? Prove that, please. 

user image
Freshman Silent
1.1.4    replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.3    4 years ago

Black people are over represented in crime, so of course it will be disproportionate. The more crimes the more potential fatal encounters

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1.5  FLYNAVY1  replied to  @1.1    4 years ago

News to you....... being an evangelical is not proof of those that follow Christ's teachings.

From a long time ago...... The Christian Right is Neither!

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1.6  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  @1.1.2    4 years ago

I think you should feel sorry for all the trump lovers who are constantly being gas-lighted.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.7  Trout Giggles  replied to  @1.1.2    4 years ago

Wow.....I am deeply disturbed by your words but what disturbs me even more are the 3 people who voted you up

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1.8  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.7    4 years ago

Forgive them Trout, for they know not what they do......!

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.9  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.7    4 years ago

Absolutely disgusting.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.7    4 years ago

'Wow.....I am deeply disturbed by your words but what disturbs me even more are the 3 people who voted you up'

It's good to know where folks stand.  jrSmiley_82_smiley_image.gif Some folks reveal their true colors all the time.  

pat wilson
Professor Participates
1.1.11  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.7    4 years ago

Telling isn't it ?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

Tear gas and shoot rubber bullets into a crowd to walk across the street and pretend to be a Christian (i.e photo op) with 5 other white people during a protest about race relations really is a good message to send. Can't you feel the love and unity? LOL!

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    4 years ago

It's a wonder Trump didn't end up getting burns while touching that bible!

How many constitutional rights of the protesters did he violate and how many members of the security detail did he put in harms way for that photo op? 

Is Trump going to task the Navy for a photo op of him walking on water next?

BTW.... where was Mike "I'm Holier than Thou" Pence when all this was going on...?

devangelical
Professor Principal
2.1.1  devangelical  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1    4 years ago

trump has been inside more whores than churches...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  devangelical @2.1.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.3  FLYNAVY1  replied to  devangelical @2.1.1    4 years ago

Careful there devangelical, without a DNA test we can't be sure Baron is his kid.....

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.1    4 years ago
where was Mike "I'm Holier than Thou" Pence when all this was going on...?

That's a really good question.

I wanna see somebody throw Holy Water on POTUS (like the priest does during Christmas and Easter Mass). I bet he melts just like the Wicked Witch of the West

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.1.6  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.5    4 years ago

I bet he melts just like the Wicked Witch of the West

He'd still bitch that it was caused by the deep state..... and his acolytes would believe him.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  devangelical @2.1.1    4 years ago
'trump has been inside more whores than churches...'
giphy.gif

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3  Sparty On    4 years ago

Yawn.  

The Catholic Church has little moral high ground to be trying to shame anyone.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sparty On @3    4 years ago

When they start turning over their pedophiles and not shuffling them from church to church, then I will be impressed with them.

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
3.1.1  KDMichigan  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1    4 years ago

Hey once in a while you make a post I can agree with.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1    4 years ago

Hey, I’m Catholic and it’s unconscionable how they’ve handled the rampant abuse in their churches.

A special level of evil in book.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1.3  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.2    4 years ago

To anyone using Catholic pedophilia to deflect from the actual topic, trump's fake religious fervor, take it elsewhere.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.3    4 years ago

The archbishop is Catholic so the Catholic church is entirely on topic.

But feel free to keep attempting to censor your article.    I’m sure you’ll be able to find a mod or three to tag what you want off topic.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1.5  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.4    4 years ago

The Catholic church is on topic. Pedophilia is not.

But feel free to keep attempting to censor your article.

I made a very simple statement. Haven't flagged any comments, I rarely do. Get over yourself.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.5    4 years ago

I’m not the one who needs to do the getting.

Catholic church still 100% on topic

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1.7  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Sparty On @3.1.6    4 years ago
Catholic church still 100% on topic

Read my words.:

"The Catholic church is on topic. Pedophilia is not."

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.1.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.3    4 years ago

Apologies.  Please delete if you wish.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
3.1.9  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.1.8    4 years ago

No worries, I should have put it in redbox rules but it didn't occur to me. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
3.1.10  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  pat wilson @3.1.9    4 years ago

I think it would have been funny and quite telling.

we can talk about the catholic church as having the moral highground,

-  just dont mention catholic church pedophilia.... LOL

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7  seeder  pat wilson    4 years ago

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."

Sinclair Lewis

or a bible

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1  Sparty On  replied to  pat wilson @7    4 years ago

Or a water bottle, brick or Molotov cocktail ......

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @7.1    4 years ago

Wait...hold up...I thought antifa were throwing the water bottles, bricks, and Molotov cocktails?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.1    4 years ago

First things first .... you're talking to me again?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.2    4 years ago

As I deployed my critical thinking skills reading your comment, it occurred to me that it was contradictory. I can't pass up contradictory, so yeah for the next several minutes I'm speaking to you again.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.3    4 years ago

Several minutes eh?   Let me know when that runs out  as my crystal ball is in the repair shop this week.

The first comment was a bible, clearly an allusion to Trump being Fascist.

My comment WAS saying that antifa is a fascist organization.   Actions speak louder than words.   They SAY they are anti fascist while employing fascist tactics and principles in their operations.   People always try to shoehorn fascism as a right wing only thing when some left wing groups clearly act just as bad or worse.

Suppression of free speech that they don't agree with

A rabid intolerance for political opponents

Openly support and embrace violence to achieve objectives

Disrespect for democratic principles ..... etc, etc,

Describes antifa to a tee.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.4    4 years ago
Suppression of free speech that they don't agree with

A rabid intolerance for political opponents

Openly support and embrace violence to achieve objectives

Disrespect for democratic principles ..... etc, etc,

Describes KKKer's and White Supremacists to a Tee.

It's contradictory to call a group dedicated to anti-fascism "fascists". I feel that you truly don't understand the terms or are just looking to pick a fight.

Either way...I don't care if you understand or not and you will have to fight with yourself today. I just don't have the energy to deflect snark and bad rhetoric.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.8  Trout Giggles  replied to    4 years ago

They stand against fascism. They are ANTI FASCISTS. They can't be fascists along the same line as Hitler's Brown Shirts or David Dukes Klansmen. And that's what you and Sparty are trying to say.

Neither of you make any sense

As for your other bullshit, do you think all Knights are actually chivalrous? There were plenty that were murderers, rapists, and thieves back in the middle ages....

So....I'm done. I'm too exhausted to fight a mental battle with someone who refused to come prepared.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.9  Sparty On  replied to  Trout Giggles @7.1.5    4 years ago

Lol .... you engage me and then use those chickenshit tactics?   Hilarious.

No worries though, my understand of what antifa, "is" and "isn't" is just fine by observation alone.    Which makes me wonder about your observation skills a great deal.

[deleted]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
7.1.11  JohnRussell  replied to  Release The Kraken @7.1.10    4 years ago

what do right wing anarchists stand for? 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
7.1.13  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.9    4 years ago

bye

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.17  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.4    4 years ago

There are clearly extremists both left and right agitating for violence at these protests. To only point to one side is disingenuous.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.18  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Sparty On @7.1.9    4 years ago

Knock it off.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.19  Tessylo  replied to  JohnRussell @7.1.11    4 years ago
'what do right wing anarchists stand for?'

THEMSELVES ONLY

Tessylo
Professor Principal
7.1.20  Tessylo  replied to  Release The Kraken @7.1.10    4 years ago

FUCK THAT SHIT

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.21  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Release The Kraken @7.1.10    4 years ago
When little jerk offs show up in the street advocating for fascism I find it offensive.

As well you should. Just know who you're talking about.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.22  Sparty On  replied to  pat wilson @7.1.18    4 years ago

Knock what off?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.23  Sparty On  replied to  pat wilson @7.1.17    4 years ago

I agree, i've never said it was one side only.   Fact of the matter is we don't know for sure yet but i have no doubt antifa is involved in most.

No doubt.

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.1.24  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  pat wilson @7.1.18    4 years ago

The personal insults.

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
7.2  Dean Moriarty  replied to  pat wilson @7    4 years ago

It's not passing the snopes fact checker. 

pat wilson
Professor Participates
7.2.1  seeder  pat wilson  replied to  Dean Moriarty @7.2    4 years ago

Though we have found passages by other authors that share certain words, phrases, and sentiments in common with the quote attributed to Lewis, we have not found an exact match anywhere. We came across this bit, for example, in coverage of a speech by one James Waterman Wise Jr. in the 5 February 1936 edition of The Christian Century:

James Waterman Wise, Jr., in a recent address here before the liberal John Reed club said that Hearst and Coughlin are the two chief exponents of fascism in America. If fascism comes, he added, it will not be identified with any “shirt” movement, nor with an “insignia,” but it will probably be “wrapped up in the American flag and heralded as a plea for liberty and preservation of the constitution.”

And this observation appeared in John Thomas Flynn’s As We Go Marching, published in 1944:

But when fascism comes it will not be in the form of an anti-American movement or pro-Hitler bund, practicing disloyalty. Nor will it come in the form of a crusade against war. It will appear rather in the luminous robes of flaming patriotism; it will take some genuinely indigenous shape and color, and it will spread only because its leaders, who are not yet visible, will know how to locate the great springs of public opinion and desire and the streams of thought that flow from them and will know how to attract to their banners leaders who can command the support of the controlling minorities in American public life. The danger lies not so much in the would-be Fuhrers who may arise, but in the presence in our midst of certainly deeply running currents of hope and appetite and opinion. The war upon fascism must be begun there.

Feel better ?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
9  It Is ME    4 years ago

Download Calling all HuffPost superfans! Sign up for membership to become a founding member and help shape HuffPost's next chapter Join HuffPost
Carol Kuruvilla Religion Reporter, HuffPost Suggest a correction
Donald Trump Police Brutality Catholic Church Religion and Beliefs Protests"

Are "Liberal Types" backing "The Church" now ? jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

………….. BUT ............. SEPERATION ! jrSmiley_36_smiley_image.gif

Ender
Professor Principal
9.1  Ender  replied to  It Is ME @9    4 years ago

What do you separation of church and state means...

pat wilson
Professor Participates
10  seeder  pat wilson    4 years ago

Going to be away for awhile, locking.