╌>

Lawyer says ex-Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin illegally voted in Florida

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  34 comments

By:   MSN

Lawyer says ex-Minneapolis cop Derek Chauvin illegally voted in Florida
A man running for election supervisor in Pinellas County is asking the Orange-Osceola state attorney to pursue charges against Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer accused of killing George Floyd, alleging he voted illegally in two Florida elections.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

ORLANDO, Fla. — A man running for election supervisor in Pinellas County is asking the Orange-Osceola state attorney to pursue charges against Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer accused of killing George Floyd, alleging he voted illegally in two Florida elections.

BB14Tqrf.img?h=1069&w=799&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&x=910&y=1507

e151e5.gif © Hennepin County Sheriff's Office/Sipa USA/TNS The booking photos for fired police officer Derek Chauvin charged with murder, manslaughter in George Floyd death released to the media by the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office on June 1, 2020 .

-

Dan Helm, a Democrat and attorney, sent Orange-Osceola State Attorney Aramis Ayala a letter notifying her of Chauvin's voting record.

"While living in Minnesota, working there, paying taxes there, Derek Chauvin cannot claim residency in Orange County. His home, residency and where he intends to live is in Minnesota, not Florida," Helm wrote.

His letter cites the Florida statute prohibiting false swearing and the submission of false voter registration information, adding that violation of the statute is a third-degree felony.

"I encourage you to hold people accountable for their actions, especially breaking the laws of our state," Helm wrote.

In an emailed statement, a spokesperson from the state attorney's office said the supervisor of elections is responsible for launching investigations into voter fraud and election crimes.

Ayala's office contacted Bill Cowles, Orange County supervisor of elections, who confirmed Chauvin's voting registration and history, the statement read.

"Upon receipt of information from a Minnesota authority that supports a violation of Florida law we will proceed accordingly," the statement said. "Until then, I will remain focused on the unrest in my community recently triggered by Mr. Chauvin's killing of George Floyd and work to find a solution to the systemic injustice communities of color continue to live with and die by."

A search of Chauvin's voter status in Florida shows he registered to vote Republican in Orange County at his Windermere-area address in January 2016. His registration is active. Election records show he voted in the 2016 and 2018 general elections.

In a phone interview, Helm said he researched Chauvin's voting record after learning he owned property locally. When he saw Chauvin had voted in Florida, he was "outraged," he said.

"It's a third-degree felony," he said. "I just hope that (Ayala) investigates it and then decides whether she wants to prosecute. Obviously, prosecution in Minnesota is important, but also if he's violating laws in Florida, everybody should be held responsible for their actions."

Helm announced his candidacy for Pinellas supervisor of elections on May 5, according to county records. His website summarizes his platform in three statements: "1. Follow The Law 2. Access To The Polls By Expanding Early Voting 3. Access To The Ballot By Expanding Vote-By-Mail."

Chauvin is facing a second-degree murder charge in Floyd's death after he was captured on video kneeling on Floyd's neck for nearly nine minutes.

———

(Staff writer Adelaide Chen contributed to this report.)

———

Visit The Orlando Sentinel (Orlando, Fla.) at www.OrlandoSentinel.com

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  seeder  JohnRussell    4 years ago
A search of Chauvin's voter status in Florida shows he registered to vote Republican in Orange County at his Windermere-area address in January 2016. His registration is active. Election records show he voted in the 2016 and 2018 general elections.

In a phone interview, Helm said he researched Chauvin's voting record after learning he owned property locally. When he saw Chauvin had voted in Florida, he was "outraged," he said.

"It's a third-degree felony," he said. "I just hope that (Ayala) investigates it and then decides whether she wants to prosecute. Obviously, prosecution in Minnesota is important, but also if he's violating laws in Florida, everybody should be held responsible for their actions."

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

But but but, it is only the dems who commit voter fraud.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.2  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago
A search of Chauvin's voter status in Florida shows he registered to vote Republican in Orange County

Well he has something in common with POTUS.

The trouble with Trump registering Mar-a-Lago as his voter address

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
2  Dean Moriarty    4 years ago

Trump was right again there is voter fraud!

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    4 years ago

I wonder how many people illegally voted for Trump in Florida in 2016. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.1.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    4 years ago

Two that I know of.

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.2  Kavika   replied to  Dean Moriarty @2    4 years ago

Exactly, that's why you can't trust those damn Republicans with mail-in voting. They really fucked that up in NC getting caught with their hand in the ''mailbox''....

And here we go again another Republican, an LEO no less breaking the law by voting illegally. 

Will the right ever stop this, it's unAmerican.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
2.2.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Kavika @2.2    4 years ago

Personally, I hardly trust either side. Sometimes the only difference between a lot of them is the party name...

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
2.2.2  Ronin2  replied to  Kavika @2.2    4 years ago
And here we go again another Republican, an LEO no less breaking the law by voting illegally. 

Unlike Democrats, conservatives want people charged when they vote illegally, period. It doesn't matter who they vote for.

Democrats can't even admit illegal voting exists.

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     4 years ago

In addition to facing a murder charge, it seems that he's been a really dumb ass in other areas as well.

If he claimed a property tax exemption in Florida, which is $50,000 then he committed another crime. Minnesota may have something to say if he voted in MN as well.

Oh, the tangled web.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
4  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

Great example of voter fraud and why it must be stopped.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1  Ender  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    4 years ago

Yep, I think we should make it harder for everyone to vote.

Take blood and get a DNA test and have the government have those all on file.

Use fingerprints and a retina scan.

Not to mention drug test on site. Positive, no vote.

Then have only one place to vote for 50 thousand people, make them all have to go there and only there and only opened for a five hour period. If some couldn't make it in time, tough shit.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.2  Ender  replied to  dennis smith @4.1.1    4 years ago

There never will be a complete fraud proof solution.

Considering we catch most of them, and voter fraud is actually kind of rare, I would say the system works.

Just like you all say we only need to enforce gun laws instead of making new laws, I think that solution is applicable here.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.3  cjcold  replied to  dennis smith @4.1.1    4 years ago
What is your solution to voter fraud?

Never elect another republican to office and make voting easier for ALL legitimate citizens. Voter disenfranchisement and voter fraud have long been conservative activities and goals. 

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    4 years ago

And if voting laws had been enforced, none of this bullshit would have happened 

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1  cjcold  replied to  charger 383 @6    4 years ago

Last few times I voted in my tiny county I was asked for my ID by election workers who have known me for over 60 years "sorry cj but we have to now". Seemed like enforcement to me.  

Since my license showed my recently old address (same small town but my new property straddles a county line) they considered not letting me vote. Had I not been well known I likely would have been disenfranchised by red tape (it was a 75 mile trip to where they tried to send me to vote). 

Redistricting, closing polling places in minority districts, making it harder for students, minorities and the elderly to vote, opposing mail in and internet voting and spreading lies and propaganda are all GOP tactics to limit voter turnout and steal elections. 

Funny how it is always right wingers who seek to disenfranchise voters.

As GOP strategists well know, the fewer voters, the better chance the GOP has in winning elections.

I implore all free thinkers to get out and vote. We are actually in the majority.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.2  cjcold  replied to  dennis smith @6.1.1    4 years ago

Voted by mail in the last general election and with the virus hitting folk who gather together with hugs and kisses, I'll do the same this November.

And, yes, I do extensive research into all candidates local, state and federal.

What we are seeing in the U.S. now is a takeover by sub 100 IQ fascists with Trump as their god.

Sad that my country has come to the point where fools and corporate monsters rule. 

I miss Obama.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  cjcold @6.1    4 years ago

Did you considering taking a utility bill with the new address?  

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.4  cjcold  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @6.1.3    4 years ago

The look of my disdain was enough to get me a ballot (and I did show my ID and a change of address card from the post office).

Seemed they also found it distasteful to treat me like a stranger.

One of those old ladies had actually changed my diapers a few times. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.6  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  cjcold @6.1.4    4 years ago

It's lucky for you that she didn't ask to see your butt as a form of ID.jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  charger 383 @6    4 years ago

I was a registrar back in the 70's.  I registered my father and per my training, he had to show me an ID to register.  Father or no father it was the law back then.