Texas reports two consecutive days of record coronavirus hospitalizations weeks after reopening

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  one month ago  •  113 comments

By:   Berkeley Lovelace Jr.

Texas reports two consecutive days of record coronavirus hospitalizations weeks after reopening
Texas was among the first states to relax its statewide stay-at-home order.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A man receives a haircut as social distancing guidelines to curb the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) are relaxed at Doug’s Barber Shop in Houston, Texas, May 8, 2020. Callaghan O’Hare | Reuters

Texas has reported two consecutive days of record-breaking Covid-19 hospitalizations as the state continues to open businesses and resume activities.

Texas was among the first states to relax its statewide stay-at-home order,  

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

Krishna
1  seeder  Krishna    one month ago

There are currently 2,056 patients sickened with Covid-19 in hospitals across the state as of early Tuesday afternoon, up from a record 1,935 patients Monday, 

Krishna
2  seeder  Krishna    one month ago

Coronavirus cases in the United States have been slowly ticking up since the Memorial Day holiday,.

The coronavirus has now infected nearly 2 million people in the U.S. and has killed at least 111,014, according to Hopkins data.

Greg Jones
2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @2    one month ago

So far we have no way of showing that there is any correlation between the limited reopening and the uptick in cases.

Perhaps increased testing is discovering more cases. I'd like to see the facts and figures instead of vague and ambiguous statements.

Tessylo
2.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    one month ago

'instead of vague and ambiguous statements'

That's what I'd love to see from you Greg.  

Snuffy
2.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    one month ago

Using Arizona as an example,  the number of hospitalizations has gone up and the number of patients on respirators has doubled since we started to reopen. At the start the state officials pushed that the increase in numbers was due to the increased testing, because after all you can't increase the number of infected if you don't test for it. But hospitals in AZ are reaching current capacity for ICU beds and have been ordered to activate emergency plans to increase the number of ICU beds, equipment and staffing.

There is still so much that we just don't know about this virus. IMO the most at risk should still self-isolate to protect themselves.  We as a nation MUST increase the protections at nursing homes where the elderly are locked into a small environment. Face masks should be required wear when out in public as the science has shown that wearing a mask does help to protect both yourself as well as others. 

SteevieGee
2.1.3  SteevieGee  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    one month ago
Perhaps increased testing is discovering more cases.

True, increased testing discovers more cases but increased testing doesn't send more people to the hospital.

It Is ME
2.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1.3    one month ago
True, increased testing discovers more cases but increased testing doesn't send more people to the hospital.

No, but the "Virus Does..... which the testing did show ….. they were already "Positive" in the first place.

TᵢG
3  TᵢG    one month ago

Oddly there are those (including right here on NT) who do not seem to recognize that COVID-19 reaching a worldwide pandemic level in spite of a planet-wide aggressive campaign to mitigate its spread is, in reality, a matter to take seriously.

Krishna
3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @3    one month ago
Oddly there are those (including right here on NT) who do not seem to recognize that COVID-19 reaching a worldwide pandemic level in spite of a planet-wide aggressive campaign to mitigate its spread is, in reality, a matter to take seriously.

Some countries take it more seriously than others. Also different state governprs have portrayed it as a serious threat, well others downplay it.

And the same governors who don't take irt seriously re-open their states too soon-- and we are now starting to see the di\sastrous results of their policies.

Greg Jones
3.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @3.1    one month ago
and we are now starting to see the di\sastrous results of their policies.

Disastrous according to who?

Actually, we don't know what we are seeing. Just how is reopening with social spacing and masks increasing the numbers?

Freedom Warrior
3.1.2  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Krishna @3.1    one month ago

No disastrous results and there’s no such thing as re-opening too soon that just sounds like brainwashed hogwash. The so-called experts have fucked up everything along the way and the sheeple falling right in line as expected yet in the meantime we have more facts coming out all the time and we’re finding out how big of a line of bullshit we’ve been fed.

Snuffy
3.1.3  Snuffy  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    one month ago

If everybody remembered soclal distancing and masks I think we would be in better shape.  But there are too many examples where people did not bother with social distancing (lots of news stories where bars were packed) and I continue to see at least 60% of the people when I am out and about not wearing face masks.  I wish face masks were mandatory, but even then I'm confident a lot of people would not wear them. After all, seat belts are mandatory and how many people still don't wear them?

Krishna
3.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    one month ago
Disastrous according to who?

You really should read an article before commenting on it!

Krishna
3.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    one month ago

Actually, we don't know what we are seeing. Just how is reopening with social spacing and masks increasing the numbers?

You are making an assumption. One which, in fsact, I find to be rather misinfiormed.

Why on earth would you assume that just because the government recommends something..would you assume that every citizen follows their recommendations. (Heck-- even dear Leader himself refuses to wear a mask!)

Krishna
3.1.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Freedom Warrior @3.1.2    one month ago

No disastrous results

You really should read an article before commenting on it....

Dismayed Patriot
3.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  TᵢG @3    one month ago

To some Darwin award level morons this is all a hoax perpetrated by the deep state Illuminati Freemasons just like the moon landing and hiding the fact that the earth is flat under a big glass dome and is only 6,000 years old. No matter what facts you present to them it has about as much chance of changing their minds as saying "Abracadabra" to change a pile of dog shit into an ice cream sundae.

TᵢG
3.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.2    one month ago

Are some people really this stupid or is belief based on desire so strong that it disables critical thinking?

Krishna
3.2.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.1    one month ago

Probably both.

Gordy327
3.2.3  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.1    one month ago

Do you really have to ask that TiG? We see that right here on NT alone on a daily basis. 

Kathleen
3.2.4  Kathleen  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.2    one month ago

Honestly.... I don't care if someone thinks the world is 6,000 years old, just put a mask on.

Buzz of the Orient
3.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.1    one month ago
"Are some people really this stupid or is belief based on desire so strong that it disables critical thinking?"

I'd say both are applicable.

Krishna
3.2.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.2    one month ago

To some Darwin award level morons this is all a hoax.

Anyone who regularly watches Fox News has seen  Sean Hannity and others declaring that "the virus is just the latest Democratic hoax". 

And also  in the beginning, Dear Leader himself downplayed the virus on numerous occasions.

Krishna
3.2.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kathleen @3.2.4    one month ago

Honestly.... I don't care if someone thinks the world is 6,000 years old, just put a mask on.

Why should they...when Dear Leader himself actually refuses to wear one!

(And our mentally-challenged Vice President even refused to wear one while visiting The Mayo Clinic-- where it was required!)

Gordy327
3.2.8  Gordy327  replied to  Krishna @3.2.7    one month ago
And our mentally-challenged Vice President even refused to wear one while visiting The Mayo Clinic-- where it was required!)

And he was head of the Covid Task Force. Go figure.

Buzz of the Orient
3.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @3    one month ago

However, there are countries that took it seriously, and their citizens complied with strict guidelines, where the virus is not only contained, but things are pretty well back to normal.  Hasn't anyone figured out yet why America is having such a problem with it? 

Sparty On
3.3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3    one month ago
Hasn't anyone figured out yet why America is having such a problem with it? 

Yes, because China let it out of the their country when they didn't need to.

FLYNAVY1
3.3.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3    one month ago

It's called a lack of leadership, and that starts at the very top in the White House.....

Wear a damn mask!!!!

Buzz of the Orient
3.3.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3.2    one month ago

Well, I STILL do when I go out, so you don't have to make that demand in my case..

Sparty On
3.3.4  Sparty On  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3.2    one month ago

Yes, it's Trumps fault a big portion of the protestors the last few weeks were paying little to no attention to pandemic social distancing or mask recommendations.   /S

Buzz of the Orient
3.3.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @3.3.1    one month ago

Yeah, keeping all those foreigners locked up in Wunan and not letting them go home would have America calling them hostages and sending in the Blackhawks to rescue them. But then if they really WERE hostages, America would have had to ask Canada to rescue them. like they did before. 

Kathleen
3.3.6  Kathleen  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.3    one month ago

My daughter went on a job interview yesterday for part time summer work. She said wearing the mask helped with her not being so nervous.  Sort of like a security shield.

Sparty On
3.3.7  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.5    one month ago

You know Buzz, seems you just gotta take it personal when it comes to any criticism of China   My comment wasn't directed at you but you just can't help yourself i guess.   Sad

That said my tendency to independent thought is strong, very strong.   So you are completely wrong with your allusion that i'm just a Trump parrot.  

Fact.   China stopped travel within their own country while allow travel out of it.   Why would they stop one and allow the other?

Buzz of the Orient
3.3.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @3.3.7    one month ago

I just changed my reply to you. 

Buzz of the Orient
3.3.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.5    one month ago

And, by the way, your original comment to me was NOT responsive of my comment - other countries like New Zealand had no problem, why did America have such a problem.  The root cause is not the answer, and you know it, but blame China, because that's the "Trump" thing to do. Whatever you do, don't admit that Trump fucked up. 

Just Jim NC TttH
3.3.10  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.8    one month ago

How in the world do you get to change your post after 20+ minutes of being posted? Curious

Kathleen
3.3.11  Kathleen  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.3.10    one month ago

I only have 5 minutes.

Buzz of the Orient
3.3.12  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.3.10    one month ago

It's magic.

Just Jim NC TttH
3.3.13  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.12    one month ago

I used to do that occasionally on NV. Turn the clock on my computer back and voila. Is that what your "magic" is?

Greg Jones
3.3.14  Greg Jones  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3.2    one month ago

It's scientific fact that the masks do little good in preventing the spread of the virus. I wear one to avoid the stink eye from the public.

Sparty On
3.3.15  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.8    one month ago

I've got nothing to say to you anymore.   [deleted]  I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt on more than one occasion but it's never been more clear to me.  [deleted]

Good day and good luck ....

Tessylo
3.3.16  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3    one month ago

Too many idiots that refuse to adhere to common sense.  

Also tRump's paid 'protesters' who are turning peaceful protests into riots.  

Tessylo
3.3.17  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3    one month ago
'However, there are countries that took it seriously, and their citizens complied with strict guidelines, where the virus is not only contained, but things are pretty well back to normal.  Hasn't anyone figured out yet why America is having such a problem with it? '

tRump never took it seriously.  He ignored all warnings until it was effectively too late.  He disassembled the pandemic response team that President Obama put in place.  This incompetent bumbling deadly vicious moron coward has turned the U.S.A. into a FUBAR chaotic fucking disaster.  

We have no leader.  We have no president.  It's the governors and the mayors of states who are doing all the work, like they have been, ever since tRump became 'president.'

I'd say if Hillary was President, we would have never been in this situation.  

Texan1211
3.3.18  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.3.16    one month ago
Also tRump's paid 'protesters' who are turning peaceful protests into riots.

STILL pressing that lie?

LMMFAO!

It Is ME
3.3.19  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.18    one month ago
STILL pressing that lie? LMMFAO!

But ….. Dr. Fauci ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
3.3.20  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @3.3.7    one month ago
'That said my tendency to independent thought is strong, very strong.'

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

FLYNAVY1
3.3.22  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sparty On @3.3.4    one month ago

Good thing you've come around Sparty.....

Your hero could give a shit about anything else but gaining adoration for his narcissistic ass. 

Freedom Warrior
3.3.23  Freedom Warrior  replied to  Sparty On @3.3.15    one month ago

Time to defund China. 

Tessylo
3.3.24  Tessylo  replied to  Freedom Warrior @3.3.23    one month ago

Time to defund this 'president'

Buzz of the Orient
3.3.25  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.3.13    one month ago

Because there are certain duties I carry out on this site I have moderator powers, but I don't use them to moderate other's comments.  

Texan1211
3.3.26  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.3.24    one month ago

[deleted]

FLYNAVY1
3.3.27  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Greg Jones @3.3.14    one month ago

Soooo.... the next time you go to the dentist office, or go under a surgeons knife, you'll allow them to go mask less because "they do little good".

Only in fucking Trump-world do masks not assist in reducing transmission.

Follow the WH Recommendations....!

8:07 PM ET, Fri April 3, 2020

President Donald Trump  said Friday his administration was now recommending Americans wear "non-medical cloth" face coverings, a reversal of previous guidance that suggested masks were unnecessary for people who weren't sick.

and if it's good enough for the White House staff.......

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/11/854111304/white-house-orders-staff-to-wear-face-masks-after-new-coronavirus-cases

Sparty On
3.3.28  Sparty On  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3.22    one month ago

Don't obtuse.   You don't have the slightest idea who MY hero's are.

Hint: Unlike you none of them are politicians ... well a couple were politicians but they are all long dead.

Krishna
3.3.29  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kathleen @3.3.6    one month ago

My daughter went on a job interview yesterday for part time summer work. She said wearing the mask helped with her not being so nervous.

Maybe that explains why Trump has been so nervous lately...???

Sparty On
3.3.30  Sparty On  replied to  Freedom Warrior @3.3.23    one month ago

Trumps working on it.   Biden wins and we'll be back to licking Chinese boots toot sweet

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.3.31  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kathleen @3.3.11    one month ago

You should have 10.

Kathleen
3.3.32  Kathleen  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.3.31    one month ago

Let me test it now. I could be wrong.  Yes.. I am sorry, it was 10.

Texan1211
3.3.33  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.3.24    one month ago
Time to defund this 'president'

How do you propose to do that?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.3.34  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.25    one month ago

Buzz, if you are changing your comment after the 10 min that is a no no. Don't do that. 

FLYNAVY1
3.3.35  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sparty On @3.3.28    one month ago

You're lockstep with Trump at every turn....and willing to turn a blind eye cover his ass to the detriment of the US Constitution and the American people.

From your 3.3.30 on this seed alone...."Trumps working on it.". (defunding China)  All while having his clothing line made there and supporting Ivanka getting patents there.  Right.....how's that going to work...... ? 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
3.3.36  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.25    one month ago

Buzz, you have to abide by the same 10 min that everyone has. Please don't do that. 

It Is ME
3.3.37  It Is ME  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3.35    one month ago
and willing to turn a blind eye cover his ass to the detriment of the US Constitution and the American people.

Which part of the "Constitution" did Trump break, that even "Congress" or "Independent detectives" couldn't prove beyond a doubt ?

TᵢG
3.3.38  TᵢG  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3.2    one month ago
Wear a damn mask!!!!

And maintain social distance.   Minimize interactions with human beings outside of your household.   Keep your hands clean and do not touch eyes, nose, mouth unless clean.   Keep surfaces clean.

These are inconveniences but if people cooperate these measures act as walls to mitigate the spread of infection and give us the opportunity to return to normal (albeit it will be a new normal).   We do not have natural walls of immunity (yet) so we need to take these measures.

Amazing, is it not, that this is even being debated?

Sparty On
3.3.39  Sparty On  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3.35    one month ago
You're lockstep with Trump at every turn....

Bullshit, save those lies for someone else you can manipulate here.   Otherwise back it up.   Prove i'm in lockstep with Trump all the time.

I won't hold my breath.

and willing to turn a blind eye cover his ass to the detriment of the US Constitution and the American people.

When that really happens, i'll gladly defend the constitution like i've volunteered to do before.   However, nonsense made up by butt-hurt progressives doesn't count so you better learn to get over that.

From your 3.3.30 on this seed alone...."Trumps working on it.". (defunding China)  All while having his clothing line made there and supporting Ivanka getting patents there.  Right.....how's that going to work...... ?

The Trump Admin is working hard towards bringing essential manufacturing and business back to the USA.   Unlike the previous admin that pretty much tried to sell the entire farm to China.  

China can make our fireworks, rubber dog shit and fake puke.   No problem there ....

Krishna
3.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @3    one month ago

On one sense its odd. But its not soodd when you consider that those people aren'tgetting all the facts since all the news they get is biased as they get it from only one extremely biased source (Fox News). 

And I'm usually pretty humble, but I feel inclined to say that at least in my case I get a totally fair and balanced picture because I don't do that sort of thing!  

Krishna
3.4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.4    one month ago

On one sense its odd. But its not so odd when you consider that those people aren'tgetting all the facts since all the news they get is biased as they get it from only one extremely biased source (Fox News).  And I'm usually pretty humble, but I feel inclined to say that at least in my case I get a totally fair and balanced picture because I don't do that sort of thing!  

To further elaborate-- unlike many (most?) people here, my motivation for consuming newsis not to seek valif=dation of myn beliefs, Rarther I spend so much time consuming that information because-- I am moe interested is the facts-- even if they don't support the biases I prefer!

(Actually I should say especially when they don't).

Krishna
3.4.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.4.1    one month ago

"Confirmation Bias" is not an ENTP thang!!! jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Ronin2
4  Ronin2    one month ago

Is this due to reopening, or protests over Floyd's death?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Floyd_protests_in_Texas

Yes, ignore the obvious- somehow covid-19 will not affect left wing protesters.

Kathleen
4.1  Kathleen  replied to  Ronin2 @4    one month ago

It's funny that you don't even see that mentioned in the comments. 

HUGE crowds of people were gathering all over the world not just the US. I have watched closely and noticed most were not wearing a mask and standing right beside each other.  Plus the yelling and chanting. The places re-opening are trying to take precautions, but the protesters don't give a damn. 

Krishna
4.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kathleen @4.1    one month ago

[deleted]

Which brings up something that puzzles me.

How come you believe there were YUGE protests in Texas-- but little or none in states such as New York?  Do you think that Fox news only covers the demonstrations in red states like  Texas-- and not the ones in states like New York?

Kathleen
4.1.2  Kathleen  replied to  Krishna @4.1.1    one month ago

What makes you think I got this off of Fox? That's what you meant right? I guess the others are not biased.

Every news station showed the protesters marching. I saw a lot of the protesting on CNN. It showed the peaceful protesters more then Fox did. Fox showed more of the looting though, but some of them had face coverings to hide their identity.

In all fairness, I did see some on the boardwalk that did not have masks. Some businesses are doing pretty well with it, it depends on the person to stay away from others. Hard to do in a crowd though.

My question is, don't you think that it was dangerous for the protesters without masks and not using the 6 foot rule?

Buzz of the Orient
4.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Kathleen @4.1    one month ago

Personally I think we're yet to see the mother of all spikes. 

Krishna
4.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kathleen @4.1.2    one month ago
My question is, don't you think that it was dangerous for the protesters without masks and not using the 6 foot rule?

You're totally missing the point!

Here's what is, in my mind, the relevant question-- how come most of the proterstors in New York weren't wearing masks or engaging in adequate social distancing-- while those in nTexas were?

Or...were they?

(What was so different about the behaviour of the protestors in New York-- or were those in both states equally protecting themselves?)

Kathleen
4.1.5  Kathleen  replied to  Krishna @4.1.4    one month ago

Give it time, it may be too soon to see how it spread.  I knew what your point was, that is why I mentioned the protesters too. What about my question? 

Krishna
4.1.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.3    one month ago
Personally I think we're yet to see the mother of all spikes.

Well, as a famous guru, a revered Yogi, once said:

Prediction is difficult-- especially about the future.

-Yogi Berra

That being said, I think you're right. 

Which is why over the lasst few days I've been selling of a lot of my stocks. (The market may have a few more days of euphoria so I am risking losing a bit of upside....but I believe we're in for some really tough times-- the current recession may soon turn into an actual depression),

Krishna
4.1.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kathleen @4.1.5    one month ago
What about my question? 

Oh, sorry. The reason I said that was what you once said to me. You disagree with some things I was saying, and said that I should watch Fox news, because then I would know the facts!

At the time, IIRC, I didn't reply.

However your assumption at the time was inaccurate-- at the time I spend a fair amount of time watch both Fox and NBC. (The regular Fox news station as well as their stock market station during the day, The same for NBC. Mostly those 4 stations).

At the time it seemd that you got your news only from Fox. Although I have been noticing that lately you appear to be consuming news from other sources as well.

Krishna
4.1.8  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kathleen @4.1.5    one month ago
Give it time, it may be too soon to see how it spread.

Well, we already have a fairly good picture of how it spread in NY! Not how it spread in Texas-- for various reasons the spike is starting much later there. (Among other things, New York City has a much, much denser population that other areas-- although that's not the reason it spread so rapidly there before other areas).

Texas has reported two consecutive days of record-breaking Covid-19 hospitalizations as the state continues to open businesses and resume activities.

That's current. 

How does that compare to the current number of daily hospitalizations in New York?

Kathleen
4.1.9  Kathleen  replied to  Krishna @4.1.7    one month ago

I said that to you? I am sorry, but I don't remember telling you to do that. I don't know what IIRC is,

My whole point was, not to forget about the crowds of people too. They could also be spreading the virus. I switch off on different stations to see their point if view on it. Sunday Morning is my favorite to watch. The major news stations can get on my nerves sometimes.

Greg Jones
4.1.10  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.3    one month ago

I doubt it, [deleted,] especially about where the virus originated and how it was spread.

Greg Jones
4.1.11  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @4.1.8    one month ago

It's only one state. If what you are saying is true and correct, it would be happening in every state.

Tessylo
4.1.12  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.10    one month ago

So which conspiracy theory do you believe Greg?

Kavika
4.1.13  Kavika   replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.11    one month ago

It's happening in Florida, Arizona and Utah as well.

Krishna
4.1.14  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kathleen @4.1.9    one month ago

I said that to you? I am sorry, but I don't remember telling you to do that. I don't know what IIRC is,

I remeber it distinctly. Mainly because it struck me as a bit strange, as I watch Fox news every day. (In addition to NBC stations). And yes, I see that both are biased at times.

IIRC is used on many Internet sites but not others. (The problem with some of these TLAs and MLAs is that some are widely used-- LOL being perhaps the best example of a popular one--, but some aren't. "IIRC" means "If I Remember Correctly". (While I remember you saying that, I believe I didn't reply at the time, but that Im not sdure I remember).

My whole point was, not to forget about the crowds of people too. They could also be spreading the virus.

Yes, but the full effect of that won't be known for at least a week-- probably 2. So if that's the case-- what is causing the sudden spike in cases in Texas and Arizona now?

And what is casuing the recent changes numbers re: new cases, hospitalizations, and deaths in NY?

Krishna
4.1.15  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kathleen @4.1.9    one month ago

The major news stations can get on my nerves sometimes.

Actually I have observed a shift in your views. Previously, like most people on NT, you were pretty much consistantly partisan. But more recently you have been quite obviously more open-minded. (BTW that's a compliment, not an insult. jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png ).

IMO, Fox "News" programs hasn't changed that much. (Although I do mind the departure of Shep Smith). At times MSNBC has become much more partisan....

Krishna
4.1.16  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.11    one month ago

It's only one state. If what you are saying is true and correct, it would be happening in every state.

You missed my point entirely! 

Which is that the situation is diferent in different states for different reasons! (Obviously all governors have not all responded in the same way).

Yesterday I seeded two current articles-- this one (about the rate of change in Texas) and the other one about the current rate of change in Arizona:

Arizona Hospitals Activate Emergency Plans As Coronavirus Cases Spike

Several people have noticed this one, but for whatever reason people missed the one about the current situation in Arizona. (In fact I just checked-- no one commented on the other article except me. lol!).

Incidentally, both articles are current, appeared at about the same time (yesterday June 9th) 

Krishna
4.1.17  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @4.1.11    one month ago

As previousdly mentioned, the current situation is different in different states. 

Indeed , there are indeed sudden spikes in AZ, TX, and FL.

(BTW, has anyone checked the changes, in the rates of new cases, hospitalizations, and deaths  in NY state?)

Kathleen
4.1.18  Kathleen  replied to  Krishna @4.1.8    one month ago

To answer your question, it's not known right now.  I would be willing to wait a few weeks and see what happens around the country.

FLYNAVY1
4.1.19  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.3    one month ago

Yep.....

Kathleen
4.1.20  Kathleen  replied to  Krishna @4.1.15    one month ago

Thanks for the compliment Krishna.  : )

Krishna
4.1.21  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kathleen @4.1    one month ago

HUGE crowds of people were gathering all over the world not just the US. I have watched closely and noticed most were not wearing a mask and standing right beside each other.  Plus the yelling and chanting. The places re-opening are trying to take precautions, but the protesters don't give a damn.

These current huge rise in hospitalizations in certain states can not be attributed to the demonstrations. 

Unless you actually believe that there were no demonstrations in states such as New York...? That the re were only demonstrations in Texas, Arizona, and Florida. (But you don't see that m,entioned in many comments here.

Kathleen
4.1.22  Kathleen  replied to  Krishna @4.1.21    one month ago

I still want to wait a few weeks. I don't want to speculate right now. It just seems that being that close without a mask is dangerous.

That's how I feel right now. I wear a mask when I go out for the consideration of others.

Tessylo
4.1.23  Tessylo  replied to  Kathleen @4.1.22    one month ago

You have to wear a mask while in stores, etc.  

Kathleen
4.1.24  Kathleen  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.23    one month ago

I always do.

Just Jim NC TttH
4.1.25  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.23    one month ago

Not here...................

Kathleen
4.1.26  Kathleen  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.25    one month ago

Yep! we don't have to wear one talking to each other here... 

loki12
4.1.27  loki12  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.25    one month ago

Here they are leaving it up to the store owners, some don't care, Walmart etc. some will ask you to leave. It's more about personal choice than forced mandates. Where i live the Marshallese and Hispanic communities are getting hard hit. and yet i almost never see then wearing a mask in the stores, not sure if it's cultural or not.

Tessylo
4.1.28  Tessylo  replied to  Kathleen @4.1.24    one month ago

That's good, because you're supposed to.

Just Jim NC TttH
4.1.29  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  loki12 @4.1.27    one month ago

About the same here. Up to the owner/operator.

yet i almost never see then wearing a mask in the stores, not sure if it's cultural or not.

Supposedly here, Hispanics and Blacks are disproportionately getting the virus. And there is a reason for that also. Most of what I have seen, it's "piss on distancing".

Kathleen
4.1.30  Kathleen  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @4.1.25    one month ago

Lol.... I thought you were talking about this site... don’t mind me....

Greg Jones
5  Greg Jones    one month ago

Regardless of what might happen, including a "second wave", any more lockdowns and restrictions won't be tolerated by a vast majority of Americans.

FLYNAVY1
5.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Greg Jones @5    one month ago

And your supporting data for that statement is where...?

Tessylo
5.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1    one month ago
'And your supporting data for that statement is where...?'

jrSmiley_40_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
5.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @5    one month ago

Regardless of what might happen, including a "second wave", any more lockdowns and restrictions won't be tolerated by a vast majority of Americans.

And that's what got me worried. Different states reacted differently to the first wave-- basically some governors took it seriously and sent the message that the virus was a real danger, while other governors down-played it. 

Some re-opened to early-- others were more cautious...

But I think you're right-- the first time cautious measures were more widely accepted, at least by some folks. But when the second wave occurs, the will be more resistance to sensible measures-- and therefore the second wave may well wreak more damge than the first! jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Tessylo
5.3  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @5    one month ago

Avoid common sense at your own peril.  

Buzz of the Orient
5.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @5    one month ago

Do you mean they would rather die than have to repeat the lockdown?  

Pedro
5.4.1  Pedro  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.4    one month ago

Yes. Idiots gonna idiot. Fortunately it's only 30% of the people who would rather point a gun at someone than wear an f'in mask.

Tessylo
5.4.2  Tessylo  replied to  Pedro @5.4.1    one month ago

That's about the size of tRump's support - 30%.  Dismal.  

Tessylo
6  Tessylo    one month ago

Won't be tolerated?

Kathleen
7  Kathleen    one month ago

[deleted]

loki12
7.1  loki12  replied to  Kathleen @7    one month ago
Ouch!!  I just stubbed my toe.... Damn that Trump! 

I know, how awful of him to force you to do that, It's just like that poor victim Cuomo, trump forced him to send the elderly back to retirement homes to die by the thousands. and yet somehow Cuomo granted them immunity without trumps help. and made New York a sanctuary state, again without trumps help. 

Kathleen
7.1.1  Kathleen  replied to  loki12 @7.1    one month ago

My husband always says... "Trumps Fault"  : )

Krishna
7.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  loki12 @7.1    one month ago

I know, how awful of him to force you to do that, It's just like that poor victim Cuomo,

How come there were no demonstrations in New York State? /sarc

(Have you checked the recent statistics there?)

Krishna
7.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  loki12 @7.1    one month ago

I know, how awful of him to force you to do that, It's just like that poor victim Cuomo,

How come there were no demonstrations in New York State? /sarc

(Have you checked the recent statistics there?)

Tessylo
8  Tessylo    one month ago

That's stupid.