╌>

Texas reports two consecutive days of record coronavirus hospitalizations weeks after reopening

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  4 years ago  •  113 comments

By:   Berkeley Lovelace Jr.

Texas reports two consecutive days of record coronavirus hospitalizations weeks after reopening
Texas was among the first states to relax its statewide stay-at-home order.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A man receives a haircut as social distancing guidelines to curb the spread of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) are relaxed at Doug’s Barber Shop in Houston, Texas, May 8, 2020. Callaghan O’Hare | Reuters

Texas has reported two consecutive days of record-breaking Covid-19 hospitalizations as the state continues to open businesses and resume activities.

Texas was among the first states to relax its statewide stay-at-home order,  

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

There are currently 2,056 patients sickened with Covid-19 in hospitals across the state as of early Tuesday afternoon, up from a record 1,935 patients Monday, 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

Coronavirus cases in the United States have been slowly ticking up since the Memorial Day holiday,.

The coronavirus has now infected nearly 2 million people in the U.S. and has killed at least 111,014, according to Hopkins data.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @2    4 years ago

So far we have no way of showing that there is any correlation between the limited reopening and the uptick in cases.

Perhaps increased testing is discovering more cases. I'd like to see the facts and figures instead of vague and ambiguous statements.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    4 years ago

'instead of vague and ambiguous statements'

That's what I'd love to see from you Greg.  

Snuffy
Professor Participates
2.1.2  Snuffy  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    4 years ago

Using Arizona as an example,  the number of hospitalizations has gone up and the number of patients on respirators has doubled since we started to reopen. At the start the state officials pushed that the increase in numbers was due to the increased testing, because after all you can't increase the number of infected if you don't test for it. But hospitals in AZ are reaching current capacity for ICU beds and have been ordered to activate emergency plans to increase the number of ICU beds, equipment and staffing.

There is still so much that we just don't know about this virus. IMO the most at risk should still self-isolate to protect themselves.  We as a nation MUST increase the protections at nursing homes where the elderly are locked into a small environment. Face masks should be required wear when out in public as the science has shown that wearing a mask does help to protect both yourself as well as others. 

SteevieGee
Professor Silent
2.1.3  SteevieGee  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1    4 years ago
Perhaps increased testing is discovering more cases.

True, increased testing discovers more cases but increased testing doesn't send more people to the hospital.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
2.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  SteevieGee @2.1.3    4 years ago
True, increased testing discovers more cases but increased testing doesn't send more people to the hospital.

No, but the "Virus Does..... which the testing did show ….. they were already "Positive" in the first place.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3  TᵢG    4 years ago

Oddly there are those (including right here on NT) who do not seem to recognize that COVID-19 reaching a worldwide pandemic level in spite of a planet-wide aggressive campaign to mitigate its spread is, in reality, a matter to take seriously.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @3    4 years ago
Oddly there are those (including right here on NT) who do not seem to recognize that COVID-19 reaching a worldwide pandemic level in spite of a planet-wide aggressive campaign to mitigate its spread is, in reality, a matter to take seriously.

Some countries take it more seriously than others. Also different state governprs have portrayed it as a serious threat, well others downplay it.

And the same governors who don't take irt seriously re-open their states too soon-- and we are now starting to see the di\sastrous results of their policies.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @3.1    4 years ago
and we are now starting to see the di\sastrous results of their policies.

Disastrous according to who?

Actually, we don't know what we are seeing. Just how is reopening with social spacing and masks increasing the numbers?

Snuffy
Professor Participates
3.1.3  Snuffy  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    4 years ago

If everybody remembered soclal distancing and masks I think we would be in better shape.  But there are too many examples where people did not bother with social distancing (lots of news stories where bars were packed) and I continue to see at least 60% of the people when I am out and about not wearing face masks.  I wish face masks were mandatory, but even then I'm confident a lot of people would not wear them. After all, seat belts are mandatory and how many people still don't wear them?

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    4 years ago
Disastrous according to who?

You really should read an article before commenting on it!

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.5  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @3.1.1    4 years ago

Actually, we don't know what we are seeing. Just how is reopening with social spacing and masks increasing the numbers?

You are making an assumption. One which, in fsact, I find to be rather misinfiormed.

Why on earth would you assume that just because the government recommends something..would you assume that every citizen follows their recommendations. (Heck-- even dear Leader himself refuses to wear a mask!)

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @3.1.2    4 years ago

No disastrous results

You really should read an article before commenting on it....

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
3.2  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  TᵢG @3    4 years ago

To some Darwin award level morons this is all a hoax perpetrated by the deep state Illuminati Freemasons just like the moon landing and hiding the fact that the earth is flat under a big glass dome and is only 6,000 years old. No matter what facts you present to them it has about as much chance of changing their minds as saying "Abracadabra" to change a pile of dog shit into an ice cream sundae.

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.2.1  TᵢG  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.2    4 years ago

Are some people really this stupid or is belief based on desire so strong that it disables critical thinking?

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.1    4 years ago

Probably both.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.2.3  Gordy327  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.1    4 years ago

Do you really have to ask that TiG? We see that right here on NT alone on a daily basis. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @3.2.1    4 years ago
"Are some people really this stupid or is belief based on desire so strong that it disables critical thinking?"

I'd say both are applicable.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3.2    4 years ago

To some Darwin award level morons this is all a hoax.

Anyone who regularly watches Fox News has seen  Sean Hannity and others declaring that "the virus is just the latest Democratic hoax". 

And also  in the beginning, Dear Leader himself downplayed the virus on numerous occasions.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kathleen @3.2.4    4 years ago

Honestly.... I don't care if someone thinks the world is 6,000 years old, just put a mask on.

Why should they...when Dear Leader himself actually refuses to wear one!

(And our mentally-challenged Vice President even refused to wear one while visiting The Mayo Clinic-- where it was required!)

Gordy327
Professor Expert
3.2.8  Gordy327  replied to  Krishna @3.2.7    4 years ago
And our mentally-challenged Vice President even refused to wear one while visiting The Mayo Clinic-- where it was required!)

And he was head of the Covid Task Force. Go figure.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  TᵢG @3    4 years ago

However, there are countries that took it seriously, and their citizens complied with strict guidelines, where the virus is not only contained, but things are pretty well back to normal.  Hasn't anyone figured out yet why America is having such a problem with it? 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3    4 years ago
Hasn't anyone figured out yet why America is having such a problem with it? 

Yes, because China let it out of the their country when they didn't need to.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.3.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3    4 years ago

It's called a lack of leadership, and that starts at the very top in the White House.....

Wear a damn mask!!!!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3.2    4 years ago

Well, I STILL do when I go out, so you don't have to make that demand in my case..

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.3.4  Sparty On  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3.2    4 years ago

Yes, it's Trumps fault a big portion of the protestors the last few weeks were paying little to no attention to pandemic social distancing or mask recommendations.   /S

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @3.3.1    4 years ago

Yeah, keeping all those foreigners locked up in Wunan and not letting them go home would have America calling them hostages and sending in the Blackhawks to rescue them. But then if they really WERE hostages, America would have had to ask Canada to rescue them. like they did before. 

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.3.7  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.5    4 years ago

You know Buzz, seems you just gotta take it personal when it comes to any criticism of China   My comment wasn't directed at you but you just can't help yourself i guess.   Sad

That said my tendency to independent thought is strong, very strong.   So you are completely wrong with your allusion that i'm just a Trump parrot.  

Fact.   China stopped travel within their own country while allow travel out of it.   Why would they stop one and allow the other?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sparty On @3.3.7    4 years ago

I just changed my reply to you. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.5    4 years ago

And, by the way, your original comment to me was NOT responsive of my comment - other countries like New Zealand had no problem, why did America have such a problem.  The root cause is not the answer, and you know it, but blame China, because that's the "Trump" thing to do. Whatever you do, don't admit that Trump fucked up. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.3.10  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.8    4 years ago

How in the world do you get to change your post after 20+ minutes of being posted? Curious

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.12  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.3.10    4 years ago

It's magic.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.3.13  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.12    4 years ago

I used to do that occasionally on NV. Turn the clock on my computer back and voila. Is that what your "magic" is?

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.3.14  Greg Jones  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3.2    4 years ago

It's scientific fact that the masks do little good in preventing the spread of the virus. I wear one to avoid the stink eye from the public.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.3.15  Sparty On  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.8    4 years ago

I've got nothing to say to you anymore.   [deleted]  I've tried to give you the benefit of the doubt on more than one occasion but it's never been more clear to me.  [deleted]

Good day and good luck ....

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.16  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3    4 years ago

Too many idiots that refuse to adhere to common sense.  

Also tRump's paid 'protesters' who are turning peaceful protests into riots.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.17  Tessylo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3    4 years ago
'However, there are countries that took it seriously, and their citizens complied with strict guidelines, where the virus is not only contained, but things are pretty well back to normal.  Hasn't anyone figured out yet why America is having such a problem with it? '

tRump never took it seriously.  He ignored all warnings until it was effectively too late.  He disassembled the pandemic response team that President Obama put in place.  This incompetent bumbling deadly vicious moron coward has turned the U.S.A. into a FUBAR chaotic fucking disaster.  

We have no leader.  We have no president.  It's the governors and the mayors of states who are doing all the work, like they have been, ever since tRump became 'president.'

I'd say if Hillary was President, we would have never been in this situation.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.18  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.3.16    4 years ago
Also tRump's paid 'protesters' who are turning peaceful protests into riots.

STILL pressing that lie?

LMMFAO!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.19  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.18    4 years ago
STILL pressing that lie? LMMFAO!

But ….. Dr. Fauci ! jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.20  Tessylo  replied to  Sparty On @3.3.7    4 years ago
'That said my tendency to independent thought is strong, very strong.'

jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.3.22  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sparty On @3.3.4    4 years ago

Good thing you've come around Sparty.....

Your hero could give a shit about anything else but gaining adoration for his narcissistic ass. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.3.24  Tessylo  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @3.3.23    4 years ago

Time to defund this 'president'

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.3.25  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.3.13    4 years ago

Because there are certain duties I carry out on this site I have moderator powers, but I don't use them to moderate other's comments.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.26  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.3.24    4 years ago

[deleted]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.3.27  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Greg Jones @3.3.14    4 years ago

Soooo.... the next time you go to the dentist office, or go under a surgeons knife, you'll allow them to go mask less because "they do little good".

Only in fucking Trump-world do masks not assist in reducing transmission.

Follow the WH Recommendations....!

8:07 PM ET, Fri April 3, 2020

President Donald Trump  said Friday his administration was now recommending Americans wear "non-medical cloth" face coverings, a reversal of previous guidance that suggested masks were unnecessary for people who weren't sick.

and if it's good enough for the White House staff.......

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.3.28  Sparty On  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3.22    4 years ago

Don't obtuse.   You don't have the slightest idea who MY hero's are.

Hint: Unlike you none of them are politicians ... well a couple were politicians but they are all long dead.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.3.29  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kathleen @3.3.6    4 years ago

My daughter went on a job interview yesterday for part time summer work. She said wearing the mask helped with her not being so nervous.

Maybe that explains why Trump has been so nervous lately...???

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.3.30  Sparty On  replied to  Have Opinion Will Travel @3.3.23    4 years ago

Trumps working on it.   Biden wins and we'll be back to licking Chinese boots toot sweet

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.3.31  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kathleen @3.3.11    4 years ago

You should have 10.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.33  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.3.24    4 years ago
Time to defund this 'president'

How do you propose to do that?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.3.34  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.25    4 years ago

Buzz, if you are changing your comment after the 10 min that is a no no. Don't do that. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.3.35  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Sparty On @3.3.28    4 years ago

You're lockstep with Trump at every turn....and willing to turn a blind eye cover his ass to the detriment of the US Constitution and the American people.

From your 3.3.30 on this seed alone...."Trumps working on it.". (defunding China)  All while having his clothing line made there and supporting Ivanka getting patents there.  Right.....how's that going to work...... ? 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.3.36  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.3.25    4 years ago

Buzz, you have to abide by the same 10 min that everyone has. Please don't do that. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.37  It Is ME  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3.35    4 years ago
and willing to turn a blind eye cover his ass to the detriment of the US Constitution and the American people.

Which part of the "Constitution" did Trump break, that even "Congress" or "Independent detectives" couldn't prove beyond a doubt ?

TᵢG
Professor Principal
3.3.38  TᵢG  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3.2    4 years ago
Wear a damn mask!!!!

And maintain social distance.   Minimize interactions with human beings outside of your household.   Keep your hands clean and do not touch eyes, nose, mouth unless clean.   Keep surfaces clean.

These are inconveniences but if people cooperate these measures act as walls to mitigate the spread of infection and give us the opportunity to return to normal (albeit it will be a new normal).   We do not have natural walls of immunity (yet) so we need to take these measures.

Amazing, is it not, that this is even being debated?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
3.3.39  Sparty On  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.3.35    4 years ago
You're lockstep with Trump at every turn....

Bullshit, save those lies for someone else you can manipulate here.   Otherwise back it up.   Prove i'm in lockstep with Trump all the time.

I won't hold my breath.

and willing to turn a blind eye cover his ass to the detriment of the US Constitution and the American people.

When that really happens, i'll gladly defend the constitution like i've volunteered to do before.   However, nonsense made up by butt-hurt progressives doesn't count so you better learn to get over that.

From your 3.3.30 on this seed alone...."Trumps working on it.". (defunding China)  All while having his clothing line made there and supporting Ivanka getting patents there.  Right.....how's that going to work...... ?

The Trump Admin is working hard towards bringing essential manufacturing and business back to the USA.   Unlike the previous admin that pretty much tried to sell the entire farm to China.  

China can make our fireworks, rubber dog shit and fake puke.   No problem there ....

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  TᵢG @3    4 years ago

On one sense its odd. But its not soodd when you consider that those people aren'tgetting all the facts since all the news they get is biased as they get it from only one extremely biased source (Fox News). 

And I'm usually pretty humble, but I feel inclined to say that at least in my case I get a totally fair and balanced picture because I don't do that sort of thing!  

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.4    4 years ago

On one sense its odd. But its not so odd when you consider that those people aren'tgetting all the facts since all the news they get is biased as they get it from only one extremely biased source (Fox News).  And I'm usually pretty humble, but I feel inclined to say that at least in my case I get a totally fair and balanced picture because I don't do that sort of thing!  

To further elaborate-- unlike many (most?) people here, my motivation for consuming newsis not to seek valif=dation of myn beliefs, Rarther I spend so much time consuming that information because-- I am moe interested is the facts-- even if they don't support the biases I prefer!

(Actually I should say especially when they don't).

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.4.1    4 years ago

"Confirmation Bias" is not an ENTP thang!!! jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
4  Ronin2    4 years ago

Is this due to reopening, or protests over Floyd's death?

Yes, ignore the obvious- somehow covid-19 will not affect left wing protesters.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
5  Greg Jones    4 years ago

Regardless of what might happen, including a "second wave", any more lockdowns and restrictions won't be tolerated by a vast majority of Americans.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Greg Jones @5    4 years ago

And your supporting data for that statement is where...?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.1  Tessylo  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.1    4 years ago
'And your supporting data for that statement is where...?'

jrSmiley_40_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Greg Jones @5    4 years ago

Regardless of what might happen, including a "second wave", any more lockdowns and restrictions won't be tolerated by a vast majority of Americans.

And that's what got me worried. Different states reacted differently to the first wave-- basically some governors took it seriously and sent the message that the virus was a real danger, while other governors down-played it. 

Some re-opened to early-- others were more cautious...

But I think you're right-- the first time cautious measures were more widely accepted, at least by some folks. But when the second wave occurs, the will be more resistance to sensible measures-- and therefore the second wave may well wreak more damge than the first! jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.3  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @5    4 years ago

Avoid common sense at your own peril.  

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @5    4 years ago

Do you mean they would rather die than have to repeat the lockdown?  

Pedro
Professor Participates
5.4.1  Pedro  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @5.4    4 years ago

Yes. Idiots gonna idiot. Fortunately it's only 30% of the people who would rather point a gun at someone than wear an f'in mask.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.4.2  Tessylo  replied to  Pedro @5.4.1    4 years ago

That's about the size of tRump's support - 30%.  Dismal.  

Tessylo
Professor Principal
6  Tessylo    4 years ago

Won't be tolerated?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
8  Tessylo    4 years ago

That's stupid.