NASCAR bans Confederate flags at its events

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  one month ago  •  147 comments

By:   Doha Madani

NASCAR bans Confederate flags at its events
NASCAR announced it would ban Confederate flags from its events Wednesday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

NASCAR announced on Wednesday it would ban Confederate flags from its events, two days after the only black driver in the league's top series called on NASCAR to make the change.

The flag will no longer be allowed at races or displayed at any NASCAR properties, the league said in a statement posted to its Twitter account.

"The presence of the confederate flag at NASCAR events runs contrary to our commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for all fans, our competitors, and our industry," the statement said.

pic.twitter.com/gJkIfVf3Ba
— NASCAR (@NASCAR) June 10, 2020

Darrell "Bubba" Wallace Jr. told CNN's Don Lemon on Monday that the flags have no place at the races.

"No one should feel uncomfortable when they come to a NASCAR race. It starts with confederate flags," Wallace told Lemon.

Wallace is the first black driver in 50 years to win one of NASCAR's top three national touring series and has been an outspoken voice in the sport following the death of George Floyd. Floyd's deadly arrest in Minneapolis on May 25 has reinvigorated the longstanding conversation on racial inequality in America and drawn protests across the world.

Wallace told CNN that in the past, he had not been bothered by the flag. But he said, after educating himself, he sees how uncomfortable it makes people.

"There's going to be a lot of angry people that carry those flags proudly but it's time for change," he said. "We have to change that, and I encourage NASCAR to have those conversations to remove those flags."

Wallace appeared in a video with other drivers that was broadcast on Sunday in which they vowed to "listen and learn" from the protests that have rocked the nation and to "no longer be silent." The drivers, which included seven-time champion Jimmie Johnson and retired star Dale Earnhardt Jr., pledged to work together to make "real change."

The league announced Tuesday that Wallace would drive with a special paint scheme honoring Black Lives Matter during a race Wednesday at Martinsville Speedway.

.@bubbawallace will run a special paint scheme to honor #BlackLivesMatter for Wednesday night's race at @MartinsvilleSwy. pic.twitter.com/1axOlSsig7
— NASCAR (@NASCAR) June 10, 2020

And while many applauded NASCAR's decision on Wednesday, some fans replied to the organization's tweet with disdain. One user vowed to still bring a flag to every race.

"This is the final straw. I've been watching NASCAR since the 70s," another Twitter user wrote. "I used to go races proudly with my pops. All lives matter. Stay out of politics. You lost a fan."

NASCAR began asking fans to stop bringing Confederate flags to races in 2015 after Dylann Roof killed nine black churchgoers in Charleston, South Carolina. After the massacre, photos circulated online of Roof posing with the flag.

In recent weeks, a number of protesters have demanded cities and other institutions remove symbols of the Confederacy.

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam announced Thursday that a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee that has stood in the heart of Richmond since 1890 would be brought down in the coming weeks. The state is home to 110 Confederate monuments, 13 of which are in Richmond, according to 2019 data from the Southern Poverty Law Center.

President Donald Trump held a contrary position Wednesday, when he tweeted that he "will not even consider" renaming military bases that hold titles of former Confederate leaders.

"Our history as the Greatest Nation in the World will not be tampered with. Respect our Military!" Trump said, calling the bases "part of a Great American Heritage."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

FLYNAVY1
1  FLYNAVY1    one month ago

The Confederate flag should adorn cemeteries where those soldiers who fought under it lay in rest.  But that is the ONLY place that flag should be flown.

The treasonous leaders of the confederacy and all other emblems of that movement should be relegated to the history books.

Dismayed Patriot
1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    one month ago
that is the ONLY place that flag should be flown.

I wouldn't mind it also being displayed in civil war museums that mirror holocaust museums to show future generations what we must never repeat. Other than that the confederate flag should be relegated to the trash bin of history along with the swastika, where only those of the lowest moral and mental character would ever choose to display such treasonous trash.

MUVA
1.1.1  MUVA  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    one month ago

Next the American flag it was flown over the country for  years during the inception  of slavery time [Deleted] to erase and destroy all statues and monuments.  

It Is ME
1.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  MUVA @1.1.1    one month ago
Next the American flag

They're still working on that one. jrSmiley_104_smiley_image.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2016/11/21/massachusetts-college-stops-flying-american-flag-after-it-becomes-focus-of-dispute-over-trump/

Massachusetts college stops flying American flag after it becomes focus of dispute over Trump

"The day after the election, some people at Hampshire College reacted to the news of Donald Trump’s victory by calling for the removal of the American flag at the center of campus, saying it was a symbol of racism and hatred. That night, some lowered it. And the following night — sometime before dawn on Veterans Day — people burned it."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/protesters-take-down-us-flag-at-ice-facility-replace-it-with-mexican-flag/ar-AAEhHyN

Protesters take down US flag at ICE facility, replace it with Mexican flag 

MUVA
1.1.3  MUVA  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.2    one month ago

Shit if they weren't playing lip service they would burn UVA to the ground get rid of every statue of Jefferson,Washington,and Madison owned 175 slaves and the left praises him to hilt he is even the figure in the most popular Broadway show.  

Just Jim NC TttH
1.1.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  MUVA @1.1.3    one month ago

Nah if they could enlist one, I see an F-35 blowing the faces of Jefferson and Washington off the site of Mt. Rushmore. Gotta shake your head............vigorously. That is their shame.

JohnRussell
1.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.4    one month ago

Washington and Jefferson were wrong to take part in slavery, but neither of them fought on behalf of a "nation" whose constitution made it impossible to ever make slavery illegal. Robert E Lee did. 

Had Jefferson and Washington lived to be 150 years old  and stood with the Confederate States of America in 1861 , then their statues should have come down too. 

The United States of America ended slavery, the Confederate States of America made it impossible for any of their member states to end slavery.  There is a difference there. 

FLYNAVY1
1.1.6  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    one month ago

I'm good with the Museums as well.

FLYNAVY1
1.1.7  FLYNAVY1  replied to  MUVA @1.1.1    one month ago

[Deleted]

r.t..b...
1.1.8  r.t..b...  replied to  MUVA @1.1.1    one month ago
to erase and destroy all statues and monuments.  

...which commemorate and exalt just what?

Ozzwald
1.1.9  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.5    one month ago
The United States of America ended slavery, the Confederate States of America made it impossible for any of their member states to end slavery. 

MAGA:

Make

Confederate States of America

Great

Again

It Is ME
1.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.9    one month ago

Noooooooo ...… That doesn't work !

Ya see.... the "M", the "A" the "G" and the "A", shouldn't be put anywhere else but "Front" of a statement, if you're truly gonna be "Real".

Cute try though !

MUVA
1.1.11  MUVA  replied to  r.t..b... @1.1.8    one month ago

Founding fathers are next or should be if the standard is owning salves shit when they wrote the constitution I was only part of a person. 

MUVA
1.1.12  MUVA  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1.7    one month ago

[deleted]

Gordy327
1.1.13  Gordy327  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    one month ago

Museums are fine. People are also free to fly whatever flag they want on their personal property, assuming there are no codes against it (like HOA). The only times we fly foreign flags is at the UN, the Olympics, other significant state functions, or on the General Lee (Dukes of Hazard reference, lol). But the Confederate flag also represents a country which no longer exists. So there's really no point in flying it to begin with.

Ozzwald
1.1.14  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.10    one month ago
Ya see.... the "M", the "A" the "G" and the "A", shouldn't be put anywhere else but "Front" of a statement, if you're truly gonna be "Real".

So in your own words, this is false?

MAGA:

Make

United States of America

Great

Again

It Is ME
1.1.15  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.14    one month ago

Is that what you posted originally ? jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

Ozzwald
1.1.16  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.15    one month ago
Is that what you posted originally ?

Of course not, but according to your logic, that is NOT what MAGA means either.  Do you even know what MAGA means?

It Is ME
1.1.17  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.16    one month ago
Of course not,

That was a "Given".

"but according to your logic, that is NOT what MAGA means either."

The way you posted it, both ways,  I agree. jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Dismayed Patriot
1.1.18  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  MUVA @1.1.11    one month ago
Founding fathers are next or should be if the standard is owning salves shit when they wrote the constitution I was only part of a person

The "standard" isn't "owning slaves" and never has been. The standard, especially when it comes to flags, monuments and memorials, is whether it represents those who fought to preserve slavery.

Even those at the time of the civil war knew how the founding fathers felt about slavery, that it was an "evil they knew not well how to deal with, but the general opinion of the men of that day was, that, somehow or other, in the order of Providence, the institution would be evanescent and pass away" as pointed out by the Vice President of the Confederacy in March of 1861. "The prevailing ideas entertained by (Jefferson) and most of the leading statesmen at the time of the formation of the old Constitution were, that the enslavement of the African was in violation of the laws of nature; that it was wrong in principle, socially, morally and politically."

So regardless of whether you can see the difference between the founders who owned slaves out of what they thought at the time was necessity but were looking for a way to abolish it and the confederates who later fought a war against our nation to preserve slavery or not, but there is one and it is massive. This "whataboutism" is just a bunch of baseless bullshit kicked up mostly by those who seem determined to keep the status quo of black Americans being treated as second class citizens. They have to look up to these monuments of confederate Generals who fought to keep them enslaved as they walk our streets, parks, public spaces or perhaps even being stationed at an American military base named after some confederate General who would have considered that soldier no better than a dog in his day.

To say it's just being "PC" to make our public spaces and government funded buildings and bases comfortable for all Americans is just callous and ignorant.

JohnRussell
1.1.19  JohnRussell  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.18    one month ago

Both Jefferson and Washington knew slavery was wrong, but , particularly in the case of Jefferson, they kept slaves in order to pay for their country squire lifestyles. Washington was a very wealthy man , but he owned so much farm land he wouldnt have been able to work it without slaves. Jefferson spent more money than he took in and needed slaves to keep his head above water. 

But you are right, neither of them wanted to keep slavery in America forever, just until they died. 

Dismayed Patriot
1.1.20  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.19    one month ago
But you are right, neither of them wanted to keep slavery in America forever, just until they died. 

I'm not black, but I imagine that black Americans might be angry and even frustrated with the hypocritical founders who owned slaves while also saying slavery was "evil", but that anger can't be anywhere near what they likely feel about those open racists who attacked our nation specifically to preserve the institution of slavery. There is no equivalence between the founders reluctance to ban slavery at Americas founding and those treasonous confederates who killed hundreds of thousands of Union soldiers all so they could continue owning humans as cattle and who's confederate constitution made very plain their desired status for black Americans.

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition." - Vice President of the Confederacy Alexander Stephens March 21, 1861

That is a far cry from the position our founders took, which while hypocritical and shameful, were nothing in comparison to the racist garbage in the South whose flags, busts and memorials are the center of controversy.

I do find one thing truly hilarious which are the conservative Republicans who, on one hand claim no connection to the confederate South and the history of slavery, blatant racism, the KKK, segregation and Jim Crow laws, but on the other hand defending confederate monuments, flying confederate flags or even wrongly claiming the civil war wasn't about slavery.

Ozzwald
1.1.21  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.17    one month ago
The way you posted it, both ways,  I agree.

So, in your opinion, what does MAGA stand for?

It Is ME
1.1.22  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.21    one month ago
So, in your opinion, what does MAGA stand for?

M ake

A merica

G reat

A gain

Did you notice how "Correctly" I did that ?

All the Main Letters were the start of the "Actual Words" !

Wierd huh !

Ozzwald
1.1.23  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.22    one month ago
M ake

A merica

G reat

A gain

South America or North America?

It Is ME
1.1.24  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.23    one month ago

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Benjamin Franklin

Ozzwald
1.1.25  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.24    one month ago

Afraid to answer the question??  Have you backed yourself into a corner?  

6705e56fadc50337cb78abe8598e8d6f.jpg

Advise you should heed.........

Texan1211
1.1.26  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.23    one month ago
South America or North America?

SMH

America--as in the United States of America.

Perhaps you've heard of it?

It Is ME
1.1.27  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.25    one month ago

[deleted]

loki12
1.1.28  loki12  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.27    one month ago

Maybe it's the Monroe doctrine? all of American, even central America.......I guess we ignored that one because it's full of brown people.   

Ozzwald
1.1.29  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.26    one month ago

America--as in the United States of America.

Perhaps you've heard of it?

Perhaps you should try reading before commenting....AGAIN!

"It Is Me" has already stated that it DOES NOT stand for United States of America. 

You have a problem with that, take it up with him.

Ozzwald
1.1.30  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.27    one month ago
You still don't get the gist of a Capital Letter as the "Start of a word" ?

What is the correct and proper name of this country???

M ake

A merica Somoa

G reat

A gain

It Is ME
1.1.31  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.30    one month ago

A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees.

William Blake

KDMichigan
1.2  KDMichigan  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    one month ago
But that is the ONLY place that flag should be flown.

I don't know about you but I woke up in the USA and I'll fly whatever flag I want, that being said NASCAR can stipulate any rules it wants on people attending their venues, Kind of like the NFL. 

Personally I don't get triggered over the Tennessee battle flag, they lost. I can understand southern pride though.  

The treasonous leaders of the confederacy and all other emblems of that movement should be relegated to the history books.

I agree, lets put the Democrat party and their racist history in history books, Why do we still have them being a part of our government?

JohnRussell
1.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2    one month ago
I can understand southern pride though.  

What about pride in the KKK ?  They have a flag too. 

channel-four-ku-kl_3372886b.jpg

KDMichigan
1.2.2  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    one month ago

[deleted]

1stwarrior
1.2.3  1stwarrior  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2    one month ago

Natives are killed at a higher rate than African-Americans. Yet, the NFL team with a racial slur---the Redskins---doesn't seem to care about that.

FLYNAVY1
1.2.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  1stwarrior @1.2.3    one month ago

And as we have discussed the NFL is still wrong about that team logo too!

Should we believe them about their change of heart with regards to BLM, or is this just about maintaining their stable of athletes and profits?  Me, I think the latter.

Kaepernick was just as right at the time to protest bad policing as he is now.  The difference.  The NFL cared more about ratings and money than supporting that which is constitutionally supported just as they do now.

Go Chiefs!

It Is ME
1.2.5  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    one month ago

Well....that sure looks like a different flag than a confederate flag.

"Dissimilar" sure don't make a "Similar", no matter how hard one tries to "Make it so" ( Jean-Luc Picard quote).

Sparty On
2  Sparty On    one month ago

No loss, never watched it anyway.

It Is ME
3  It Is ME    one month ago

I stopped going and watching years ago, after they required all the cars to be...…"THE SAME"  !

Being "THE SAME" is really BORING !

Just Jim NC TttH
3.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  It Is ME @3    one month ago

I remember back in 2010 Rusty Wallace ran unrestricted (no restrictor plate) laps at 228 MPH at Talladega in practice laps to see the effect the plates had. Of course I don't remember them running non-restrictor after that. Too bad too but I guess safety first................

It Is ME
3.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1    one month ago

The days of No Restrictor plates ….. was RACING !

Now they all just line up bunched together for the entire race, and everyone waits for the 20 car pile up just before the finish. No one even wants to try and pass someone on their own because they ain't got the HP to do it. They need 5 cars behind them pushing them to get around another line of cars trying to do the same thing, and by the next lap, that group has faded back again.

Now, races are won in the pits, not out on the track.

XDm9mm
4  XDm9mm    one month ago

A driver just quit the NASCAR series.

He simply got tired of the way NASCAR has been going for the last few years and this was the last episode.

But have no fear.  The next race will have a BLM car running.   The only question is will he be running away like the looters or chasing like the thugs after innocents.

Sparty On
4.1  Sparty On  replied to  XDm9mm @4    one month ago

Good for him.  

Next i hope Drew Brees retires and stops kowtowing to the lunatic left

XDm9mm
4.1.1  XDm9mm  replied to  Sparty On @4.1    one month ago

He'll have to get a divorce, apparently his wife has now joined the white guilt crowd.

Sparty On
4.1.2  Sparty On  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.1    one month ago

Sad

It Is ME
4.1.3  It Is ME  replied to  Sparty On @4.1    one month ago

That was the Most Stupid thing I've seen …… in a week. The guy donates millions in his home town, and he says one thing, and now he's trash, even by his own team mates !

Sparty On
4.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  It Is ME @4.1.3    one month ago

I know, he's a good man and it breaks my heart that he is letting them eviscerate him like this.

I hope he comes to his senses and just retires.   He's already been "threatened" by some opposing teams defenders.   One tweeted the date they play the Saints this year.   Nothing else.   A clearly threatening tweet.   Where is Goodell and the NFL on that one?

I gave up on the NFL a couple years ago.

It's more or less worthless now.

It Is ME
4.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.4    one month ago
Where is Goodell and the NFL on that one?

Worrying if they should put back ..... showing The National Anthem moments on TV.

Hell, Jerry Jones is being blasted for not even speaking one word.

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't !

XDm9mm
4.1.6  XDm9mm  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.4    one month ago

[deleted]

XDm9mm
4.1.7  XDm9mm  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.4    one month ago
I gave up on the NFL a couple years ago.

I gave up on all of them, NFL, NBA, MLB, et al.  Overpaid adolescents on steroids pissing and moaning in their millions of dollars mansions how hard their lives are.  Pansy ass pussies every one of them.

Sparty On
4.1.8  Sparty On  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.6    one month ago

He doesn't give a shit.   He's getting his .... a bigger overpaid turd i do not know ....

XDm9mm
4.1.9  XDm9mm  replied to  Sparty On @4.1.8    one month ago

[deleted]

It Is ME
4.2  It Is ME  replied to  XDm9mm @4    one month ago
But have no fear.  The next race will have a BLM car running.   The only question is will he be running away like the looters or chasing like the thugs after innocents.

His best finish ..... has been 10th in 2020.

His average placement is 23rd this year.

They'll let him win this time..... Just because !

You watch !

XDm9mm
4.2.1  XDm9mm  replied to  It Is ME @4.2    one month ago
They'll let him win this time..... Just because !

Isn't he "entitled"?

It Is ME
4.2.2  It Is ME  replied to  XDm9mm @4.2.1    one month ago
Isn't he "entitled"?

Of course.

They did it with Richard Petty when he won his 200th race. I was there, along with Ronald Reagan. He had had a dry spell for a year or two ….. and all of a sudden...…. he won the race they hoped he would win. 

SteevieGee
4.2.3  SteevieGee  replied to  It Is ME @4.2    one month ago
They'll let him win this time....

So...  NASCAR is rigged?  No wonder his best finish is 10th.

It Is ME
4.2.4  It Is ME  replied to  SteevieGee @4.2.3    one month ago
So...  NASCAR is rigged?

Requiring everyone be the "SAME"...… you bet !

Winning is "Pit Stop" related now. Not actual "Racing".

Do you watch ?

"No wonder his best finish is 10th."

You got "LOST" in the conversation.....Didn't you. jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gif

r.t..b...
4.2.5  r.t..b...  replied to  It Is ME @4.2.4    one month ago
Requiring everyone be the "SAME"...… you bet !

NASCAR is your focus, but consider society at large as a subtext.

Everyone should be the same...at the very least at the start, thus allowing the opportunity to compete on a level playing field.  If you cannot see that that is the reason for the protests (as guaranteed by our Constitution no less) than any comments to the contrary become simply contrarian and acknowledgment that the race is indeed 'rigged' from the start.

XDm9mm
4.2.6  XDm9mm  replied to  r.t..b... @4.2.5    one month ago
Everyone should be the same...at the very least at the start, thus allowing the opportunity to compete on a level playing field.

It is.   It simply takes the INDIVIDUAL to take advantage of what is presented and a desire to improve his/her own personal life.

Unfortunately, some simply don't recognize the opportunities presented until it's too late to take advantage of them.  Playing and self indulgence is more important at the time and like a cancer, takes it's toll later.

charger 383
4.2.7  charger 383  replied to  It Is ME @4.2.2    one month ago

I was a Richard Petty fan when he was racing. I have heard Petty was told his motor would pass inspection when he won his 200th race

It Is ME
4.2.8  It Is ME  replied to  r.t..b... @4.2.5    one month ago
NASCAR is your focus, but consider society at large as a subtext.

I do.

Why else do you think I emphasized the word "SAME" ?

Fucking Boring !

"Everyone should be the same"

They are....when they first come out of the womb. jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

After that.....you're responsible for your own actions.

I SEE ……. PEOPLE !

r.t..b...
4.2.9  r.t..b...  replied to  It Is ME @4.2.8    one month ago

[Deleted] Tired does not begin to describe the ineloquent and pointless drivel exhibited with every post.  I'll never use the ignore feature as everyone has a right to hit 'send', so do get the last word in another missive which will once again most assuredly miss the point.

It Is ME
4.2.10  It Is ME  replied to  charger 383 @4.2.7    one month ago
I have heard Petty was told his motor would pass inspection when he won his 200th race

That was a Big controversy for a bit, back then. 

Digard/Yates built his motor for that race. Wasn't the first time one of those motors came up for scrutinizing. 

It Is ME
4.2.11  It Is ME  replied to  r.t..b... @4.2.9    one month ago
That would be a more appropriate moniker for you, ME.

Ooooh...… OUCH ! jrSmiley_98_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

"so do get the last word in another missive which will once again most assuredly miss the point."

OUCH..... Again ! jrSmiley_54_smiley_image.gif

evilgenius
4.3  evilgenius  replied to  XDm9mm @4    one month ago

The post on Ray Ciccarelli FaceBook site said they will quit at the end of the racing year. It was actually posted by his wife Sarah. The post has since been deleted.

Veronica
4.3.1  Veronica  replied to  evilgenius @4.3    one month ago

Or maybe due to his "win" record he was not going to be offered an extension on his contract?  

evilgenius
4.3.2  evilgenius  replied to  Veronica @4.3.1    one month ago

I haven't followed NASCAR for many so many years I don't even know who's racing anymore. 

XDm9mm
4.3.3  XDm9mm  replied to  evilgenius @4.3.2    one month ago
I haven't followed NASCAR for many so many years I don't even know who's racing anymore. 

It's not really racing on the track any longer.  He that leads and gets the clean air has the advantage on the track.  The races are now essentially won on pit row where the crews can get you out milliseconds ahead of another helping you get to that clean air.

All the cars are cookie cutter.

Veronica
4.3.4  Veronica  replied to  evilgenius @4.3.2    one month ago

My family has made it into a drinking game.  We drink when certain drivers are named, talk or crash.  

As XD mentioned - the move to exact same cars with different emblems stuck on them has really took the fun out of it.  It is no longer NASCAR where the S stood for STOCK - it now stands for SAME.

XDm9mm
4.3.5  XDm9mm  replied to  Veronica @4.3.4    one month ago
or crash.  

The Newman crash was something I hadn't seen in years.   Other cars had flipped before, but his airborne acrobatics were definitely one to behold.  Fortunately, he was ok.

Veronica
4.3.6  Veronica  replied to  XDm9mm @4.3.5    one month ago

That was one nasty crash & then to walk out of the hospital a few days later was astounding.  When we were watching it happen all I kept thinking was "get him out there is a fire"...

The Talladega wrecks were always massive, but Newman's was something else.

XDm9mm
4.3.7  XDm9mm  replied to  Veronica @4.3.6    one month ago
The Talladega wrecks were always massive, but Newman's was something else.

When I was watching and saw him hit on the drivers side while he was still airborne upside down, I told the wife he was probably just killed.  I never expected the crash cage would provide that much protection from a hit like that.  Then watching the damn car in flames, just added to it all.  I literally thought he was killed and cremated at the same time!

And he's back in the seat going round, and round, and round....

evilgenius
4.3.8  evilgenius  replied to  XDm9mm @4.3.3    one month ago
The races are now essentially won on pit row where the crews can get you out milliseconds ahead of another helping you get to that clean air.

That's why I stopped watching.

Veronica
4.3.9  Veronica  replied to  XDm9mm @4.3.7    one month ago

I never thought he would drive again.  It did amaze me.

sandy-2021492
4.3.10  sandy-2021492  replied to  Veronica @4.3.1    one month ago
Or maybe due to his "win" record he was not going to be offered an extension on his contract?

0-31, I saw.  Clearly, the sport cannot go on without him.

Veronica
4.3.11  Veronica  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.3.10    one month ago

He also has not run a single lap this season.  So no big loss.  And if the banning of the flag was the impetus for his departure why is he waiting until the end of the season - why continue to funnel money into his team to pay the people he has an issue with????

sandy-2021492
4.3.12  sandy-2021492  replied to  Veronica @4.3.11    one month ago

I don't watch Nascar, so it really doesn't bother me one way or another.  I think they're doing the right thing. But I also think they'll suffer financially for it.

Veronica
4.3.13  Veronica  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.3.12    one month ago

Nascar has been suffering for quite a few years now.  Loss of sponsors, empty stands (before COVID) and decline in sales of memorabilia. This will affect them even more, but the choice was theirs.

charger 383
6  charger 383    one month ago

NASCAR now means No Actual Stock Cars Are Racing.  Old Winston Cup racing with factory sponsored cars was much better 

It Is ME
6.1  It Is ME  replied to  charger 383 @6    one month ago

Exactly.

Can't say "Winston" anymore...… it's a ….. gasp ….. Cigarette thingy. jrSmiley_19_smiley_image.gif

MrFrost
7  MrFrost    one month ago

How many statues of Hitler do you see in Germany? Zero. We have no need to display statues of people who committed treason against the USA. NASCAR finally got the message. 

MonsterMash
7.1  MonsterMash  replied to  MrFrost @7    one month ago
How many statues of Hitler do you see in Germany? Zero. We have no need to display statues of people who committed treason against the USA.

How many Democrats do we see today? Too many. [deleted  (thanks for removing the death wishing)]

MonsterMash
7.1.1  MonsterMash  replied to  MonsterMash @7.1    one month ago
[deleted  (thanks for removing the death wishing)]

There was no death wishing

MonsterMash
7.2  MonsterMash  replied to  MrFrost @7    one month ago
How many statues of Hitler do you see in Germany? Zero. We have no need to display statues of people who committed treason against the USA.

Does Germany still have a Nazi Party? NO. [deleted]

MrFrost
8  MrFrost    one month ago

Not sure why the right is so up in arms about this, one would think they should be used to losing by now. 

XDm9mm
8.1  XDm9mm  replied to  MrFrost @8    one month ago
one would think they should be used to losing by now. 

2016, 2020 is coming then a shot at 2024    

MrFrost
8.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  XDm9mm @8.1    one month ago

They have had a shot since we have had elections. I think you missed the point. 

loki12
8.1.2  loki12  replied to  XDm9mm @8.1    one month ago

[deleted] Washington is a shithole completely controlled by leftest.  Talk about an abject failure.  

JBB
8.1.3  JBB  replied to  XDm9mm @8.1    one month ago

You always seem to have amnesia about 2018...

When the gop got its worst whooping in history!

loki12
8.1.4  loki12  replied to  JBB @8.1.3    one month ago

And still nothing compared to the ass whipping that Obama suffered. 

Although the sitting U.S. President's party usually loses seats in a midterm election, the 2010 election resulted in the highest losses by a party in a House midterm election since 1938,

Obamas party lost 63 house seats in 2010. in 2018 the dims only picked up 41, and LOST 2 Senate seats, that means Obama is 50% greater failure than trump.

KDMichigan
8.1.5  KDMichigan  replied to  JBB @8.1.3    one month ago
When the gop got its worst whooping in history!

Hardly. 

So Trumps loss of 37 seats in 2018 is worse than obama,s loss of 63 seats in 2010,  some more of that liberal math for ya.

XDm9mm
8.1.6  XDm9mm  replied to  JBB @8.1.3    one month ago
You always seem to have amnesia about 2018... When the gop got its worst whooping in history!

Hardly.  But some always seem to forget that they were huge numbers of retirements among Republicans and invariably when an incumbent 'retires' the opposition party has a much easier time getting the seat.  People are just seeing a change, often regretted, but looking for new blood.

XDm9mm
8.1.7  XDm9mm  replied to  MrFrost @8.1.1    one month ago
I think you missed the point. 

Actually, I think you did.  (To paraphrase a movie line) Who's your President baby?  

Just Jim NC TttH
8.1.8  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  XDm9mm @8.1.7    one month ago

loki12
8.1.10  loki12  replied to  JBB @8.1.9    one month ago

The meaningless popular vote, hahahahahahahahahaha.... I guess that’s why we all say President Hillary.... hahahahahahahahahaha. You can have the “popular” vote and republicans will take the senate and presidency. Way to hang your hat on meaningless drivel.

JBB
8.1.11  JBB  replied to  loki12 @8.1.10    one month ago

Don't be silly! Clinton was not even on the ballot in 2018 when the damn gop suffered its worst popular vote loss in US history. Portents of 2020...

Texan1211
8.1.12  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @8.1.11    one month ago
Don't be silly! Clinton was not even on the ballot in 2018 when the damn gop suffered its worst popular vote loss in US history. Portents of 2

That is hilarious, since both Presidents Obama and Clinton lost more seats in their first midterm than Trump did.

Oh--that's right--I forgot.

Ya'll think overall votes are more important like you think the popular vote is important in Presidential elections.

Seats don't interest ya'll.

JBB
8.1.13  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.12    one month ago

The damn gops popular vote margin of loss in the midterm election in 2018 was its worst in all US history. What about that simple FACT can you not wrap your head around?

Sparty On
8.1.14  Sparty On  replied to  JBB @8.1.11    one month ago

This is not going to end like you hope it is.   You’ve got a few more months of pushing that nonsense and then your butt hurt is going to get worse.     Much worse.

Here comes the boom .... brace, brace, brace.

Sparty On
8.1.15  Sparty On  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.12    one month ago

Yeah, mid term loses are not unusual at all for the party that occupies the Whitehouse but let em think it was somehow significant in 2018.

Poor things .... it’s all they got.

JohnRussell
8.1.16  JohnRussell  replied to  Sparty On @8.1.14    one month ago

Do you know what the term "whistling past the graveyard" means?

Sparty On
8.1.17  Sparty On  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.16    one month ago

Sure do and it does not apply in this case.    Not in the least.

loki12
8.1.18  loki12  replied to  Texan1211 @8.1.12    one month ago

If the left were a football team.

democrats = we gained the most yard!

republicans = 63 to 41 scoreboard baby!

but we gained the most yards☹️

Texan1211
8.1.19  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @8.1.13    one month ago
The damn gops popular vote margin of loss in the midterm election in 2018 was its worst in all US history. What about that simple FACT can you not wrap your head around?

Oh, FFS, ya'll crack me up with this nonsense.

Do all Democrats believe the popular vote for President is important, and that overall votes for Congress are more important than winning seats?

Man, I hope you grow up to be DNC Chairperson!

You focus on getting 100% Democratic votes in places like California, while the GOP focuses on winning seats. Sounds about right to me.

Say, have you let Joe know you are cool as long as he gets more overall popular votes, even if he gets beat where the votes actually matter--the EC?

Surely a loser of the EC who gets more popular votes is the real winner in your book, right?

LMMFAO!

Texan1211
8.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @8.1.16    one month ago

Was Obama whistling when he lost even more seats than Trump did?

Or is that somehow different because it was Obama and this is Trump now?

MrFrost
9  MrFrost    one month ago

Dean Moriarty
9.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  MrFrost @9    one month ago

And vice versa as depicted in The Bands legendary song the night they drove old Dixie down. 

Just Jim NC TttH
10  Just Jim NC TttH    one month ago

MonsterMash
11  MonsterMash    one month ago

The only black driver in NASCAR is named BUBBA jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

charger 383
12  charger 383    one month ago

Richard Petty Motorsports has been in decline,  Only one car, can not keep sponsors, moved to smaller rented shop and most of their stuff is leased.  Last year, Richard sold historic racecars, trophies, memorabilia and gave money to Victory Junction (Kyle Petty's charity), which then sponsored 43 because they could not get anyone to.   Only way they could keep 43 on the track.

Fans have been saying NASCAR is paying Petty to keep Wallace in 43 car, so they can say they have a black driver   

MonsterMash
12.1  MonsterMash  replied to  charger 383 @12    one month ago

He has a new sponsor......BLM