╌>

NASCAR bans Confederate flags at its events

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  147 comments

By:   Doha Madani

NASCAR bans Confederate flags at its events
NASCAR announced it would ban Confederate flags from its events Wednesday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

NASCAR announced on Wednesday it would ban Confederate flags from its events, two days after the only black driver in the league's top series called on NASCAR to make the change.

The flag will no longer be allowed at races or displayed at any NASCAR properties, the league said in a statement posted to its Twitter account.

"The presence of the confederate flag at NASCAR events runs contrary to our commitment to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for all fans, our competitors, and our industry," the statement said.

pic.twitter.com/gJkIfVf3Ba
— NASCAR (@NASCAR) June 10, 2020

Darrell "Bubba" Wallace Jr. told CNN's Don Lemon on Monday that the flags have no place at the races.

"No one should feel uncomfortable when they come to a NASCAR race. It starts with confederate flags," Wallace told Lemon.

Wallace is the first black driver in 50 years to win one of NASCAR's top three national touring series and has been an outspoken voice in the sport following the death of George Floyd. Floyd's deadly arrest in Minneapolis on May 25 has reinvigorated the longstanding conversation on racial inequality in America and drawn protests across the world.

Wallace told CNN that in the past, he had not been bothered by the flag. But he said, after educating himself, he sees how uncomfortable it makes people.

"There's going to be a lot of angry people that carry those flags proudly but it's time for change," he said. "We have to change that, and I encourage NASCAR to have those conversations to remove those flags."

Wallace appeared in a video with other drivers that was broadcast on Sunday in which they vowed to "listen and learn" from the protests that have rocked the nation and to "no longer be silent." The drivers, which included seven-time champion Jimmie Johnson and retired star Dale Earnhardt Jr., pledged to work together to make "real change."

The league announced Tuesday that Wallace would drive with a special paint scheme honoring Black Lives Matter during a race Wednesday at Martinsville Speedway.

.@bubbawallace will run a special paint scheme to honor #BlackLivesMatter for Wednesday night's race at @MartinsvilleSwy. pic.twitter.com/1axOlSsig7
— NASCAR (@NASCAR) June 10, 2020

And while many applauded NASCAR's decision on Wednesday, some fans replied to the organization's tweet with disdain. One user vowed to still bring a flag to every race.

"This is the final straw. I've been watching NASCAR since the 70s," another Twitter user wrote. "I used to go races proudly with my pops. All lives matter. Stay out of politics. You lost a fan."

NASCAR began asking fans to stop bringing Confederate flags to races in 2015 after Dylann Roof killed nine black churchgoers in Charleston, South Carolina. After the massacre, photos circulated online of Roof posing with the flag.

In recent weeks, a number of protesters have demanded cities and other institutions remove symbols of the Confederacy.

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam announced Thursday that a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee that has stood in the heart of Richmond since 1890 would be brought down in the coming weeks. The state is home to 110 Confederate monuments, 13 of which are in Richmond, according to 2019 data from the Southern Poverty Law Center.

President Donald Trump held a contrary position Wednesday, when he tweeted that he "will not even consider" renaming military bases that hold titles of former Confederate leaders.

"Our history as the Greatest Nation in the World will not be tampered with. Respect our Military!" Trump said, calling the bases "part of a Great American Heritage."

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1  FLYNAVY1    4 years ago

The Confederate flag should adorn cemeteries where those soldiers who fought under it lay in rest.  But that is the ONLY place that flag should be flown.

The treasonous leaders of the confederacy and all other emblems of that movement should be relegated to the history books.

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    4 years ago
that is the ONLY place that flag should be flown.

I wouldn't mind it also being displayed in civil war museums that mirror holocaust museums to show future generations what we must never repeat. Other than that the confederate flag should be relegated to the trash bin of history along with the swastika, where only those of the lowest moral and mental character would ever choose to display such treasonous trash.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.2  It Is ME  replied to    4 years ago
Next the American flag

They're still working on that one. jrSmiley_104_smiley_image.jpg

Massachusetts college stops flying American flag after it becomes focus of dispute over Trump

"The day after the election, some people at Hampshire College reacted to the news of Donald Trump’s victory by calling for the removal of the American flag at the center of campus, saying it was a symbol of racism and hatred. That night, some lowered it. And the following night — sometime before dawn on Veterans Day — people burned it."

Protesters take down US flag at ICE facility, replace it with Mexican flag 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to    4 years ago

Nah if they could enlist one, I see an F-35 blowing the faces of Jefferson and Washington off the site of Mt. Rushmore. Gotta shake your head............vigorously. That is their shame.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.5  JohnRussell  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @1.1.4    4 years ago

Washington and Jefferson were wrong to take part in slavery, but neither of them fought on behalf of a "nation" whose constitution made it impossible to ever make slavery illegal. Robert E Lee did. 

Had Jefferson and Washington lived to be 150 years old  and stood with the Confederate States of America in 1861 , then their statues should have come down too. 

The United States of America ended slavery, the Confederate States of America made it impossible for any of their member states to end slavery.  There is a difference there. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1.6  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    4 years ago

I'm good with the Museums as well.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.1.7  FLYNAVY1  replied to    4 years ago

[Deleted]

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.9  Ozzwald  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.5    4 years ago
The United States of America ended slavery, the Confederate States of America made it impossible for any of their member states to end slavery. 

MAGA:

Make

Confederate States of America

Great

Again

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.10  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.9    4 years ago

Noooooooo ...… That doesn't work !

Ya see.... the "M", the "A" the "G" and the "A", shouldn't be put anywhere else but "Front" of a statement, if you're truly gonna be "Real".

Cute try though !

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.13  Gordy327  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1    4 years ago

Museums are fine. People are also free to fly whatever flag they want on their personal property, assuming there are no codes against it (like HOA). The only times we fly foreign flags is at the UN, the Olympics, other significant state functions, or on the General Lee (Dukes of Hazard reference, lol). But the Confederate flag also represents a country which no longer exists. So there's really no point in flying it to begin with.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.14  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.10    4 years ago
Ya see.... the "M", the "A" the "G" and the "A", shouldn't be put anywhere else but "Front" of a statement, if you're truly gonna be "Real".

So in your own words, this is false?

MAGA:

Make

United States of America

Great

Again

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.15  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.14    4 years ago

Is that what you posted originally ? jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.16  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.15    4 years ago
Is that what you posted originally ?

Of course not, but according to your logic, that is NOT what MAGA means either.  Do you even know what MAGA means?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.17  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.16    4 years ago
Of course not,

That was a "Given".

"but according to your logic, that is NOT what MAGA means either."

The way you posted it, both ways,  I agree. jrSmiley_79_smiley_image.gif

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.18  Dismayed Patriot  replied to    4 years ago
Founding fathers are next or should be if the standard is owning salves shit when they wrote the constitution I was only part of a person

The "standard" isn't "owning slaves" and never has been. The standard, especially when it comes to flags, monuments and memorials, is whether it represents those who fought to preserve slavery.

Even those at the time of the civil war knew how the founding fathers felt about slavery, that it was an "evil they knew not well how to deal with, but the general opinion of the men of that day was, that, somehow or other, in the order of Providence, the institution would be evanescent and pass away" as pointed out by the Vice President of the Confederacy in March of 1861. "The prevailing ideas entertained by (Jefferson) and most of the leading statesmen at the time of the formation of the old Constitution were, that the enslavement of the African was in violation of the laws of nature; that it was wrong in principle, socially, morally and politically."

So regardless of whether you can see the difference between the founders who owned slaves out of what they thought at the time was necessity but were looking for a way to abolish it and the confederates who later fought a war against our nation to preserve slavery or not, but there is one and it is massive. This "whataboutism" is just a bunch of baseless bullshit kicked up mostly by those who seem determined to keep the status quo of black Americans being treated as second class citizens. They have to look up to these monuments of confederate Generals who fought to keep them enslaved as they walk our streets, parks, public spaces or perhaps even being stationed at an American military base named after some confederate General who would have considered that soldier no better than a dog in his day.

To say it's just being "PC" to make our public spaces and government funded buildings and bases comfortable for all Americans is just callous and ignorant.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.19  JohnRussell  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @1.1.18    4 years ago

Both Jefferson and Washington knew slavery was wrong, but , particularly in the case of Jefferson, they kept slaves in order to pay for their country squire lifestyles. Washington was a very wealthy man , but he owned so much farm land he wouldnt have been able to work it without slaves. Jefferson spent more money than he took in and needed slaves to keep his head above water. 

But you are right, neither of them wanted to keep slavery in America forever, just until they died. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1.20  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.19    4 years ago
But you are right, neither of them wanted to keep slavery in America forever, just until they died. 

I'm not black, but I imagine that black Americans might be angry and even frustrated with the hypocritical founders who owned slaves while also saying slavery was "evil", but that anger can't be anywhere near what they likely feel about those open racists who attacked our nation specifically to preserve the institution of slavery. There is no equivalence between the founders reluctance to ban slavery at Americas founding and those treasonous confederates who killed hundreds of thousands of Union soldiers all so they could continue owning humans as cattle and who's confederate constitution made very plain their desired status for black Americans.

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition." - Vice President of the Confederacy Alexander Stephens March 21, 1861

That is a far cry from the position our founders took, which while hypocritical and shameful, were nothing in comparison to the racist garbage in the South whose flags, busts and memorials are the center of controversy.

I do find one thing truly hilarious which are the conservative Republicans who, on one hand claim no connection to the confederate South and the history of slavery, blatant racism, the KKK, segregation and Jim Crow laws, but on the other hand defending confederate monuments, flying confederate flags or even wrongly claiming the civil war wasn't about slavery.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.21  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.17    4 years ago
The way you posted it, both ways,  I agree.

So, in your opinion, what does MAGA stand for?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.22  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.21    4 years ago
So, in your opinion, what does MAGA stand for?

M ake

A merica

G reat

A gain

Did you notice how "Correctly" I did that ?

All the Main Letters were the start of the "Actual Words" !

Wierd huh !

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.23  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.22    4 years ago
M ake

A merica

G reat

A gain

South America or North America?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.24  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.23    4 years ago

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Benjamin Franklin

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.25  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.24    4 years ago

Afraid to answer the question??  Have you backed yourself into a corner?  

6705e56fadc50337cb78abe8598e8d6f.jpg

Advise you should heed.........

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.26  Texan1211  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.23    4 years ago
South America or North America?

SMH

America--as in the United States of America.

Perhaps you've heard of it?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.27  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.25    4 years ago

[deleted]

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.29  Ozzwald  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.26    4 years ago

America--as in the United States of America.

Perhaps you've heard of it?

Perhaps you should try reading before commenting....AGAIN!

"It Is Me" has already stated that it DOES NOT stand for United States of America. 

You have a problem with that, take it up with him.

Ozzwald
Professor Quiet
1.1.30  Ozzwald  replied to  It Is ME @1.1.27    4 years ago
You still don't get the gist of a Capital Letter as the "Start of a word" ?

What is the correct and proper name of this country???

M ake

A merica Somoa

G reat

A gain

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.1.31  It Is ME  replied to  Ozzwald @1.1.30    4 years ago

A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees.

William Blake

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2  KDMichigan  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1    4 years ago
But that is the ONLY place that flag should be flown.

I don't know about you but I woke up in the USA and I'll fly whatever flag I want, that being said NASCAR can stipulate any rules it wants on people attending their venues, Kind of like the NFL. 

Personally I don't get triggered over the Tennessee battle flag, they lost. I can understand southern pride though.  

The treasonous leaders of the confederacy and all other emblems of that movement should be relegated to the history books.

I agree, lets put the Democrat party and their racist history in history books, Why do we still have them being a part of our government?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.2.1  JohnRussell  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2    4 years ago
I can understand southern pride though.  

What about pride in the KKK ?  They have a flag too. 

channel-four-ku-kl_3372886b.jpg

KDMichigan
Junior Participates
1.2.2  KDMichigan  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    4 years ago

[deleted]

1stwarrior
Professor Participates
1.2.3  1stwarrior  replied to  KDMichigan @1.2    4 years ago

Natives are killed at a higher rate than African-Americans. Yet, the NFL team with a racial slur---the Redskins---doesn't seem to care about that.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
1.2.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  1stwarrior @1.2.3    4 years ago

And as we have discussed the NFL is still wrong about that team logo too!

Should we believe them about their change of heart with regards to BLM, or is this just about maintaining their stable of athletes and profits?  Me, I think the latter.

Kaepernick was just as right at the time to protest bad policing as he is now.  The difference.  The NFL cared more about ratings and money than supporting that which is constitutionally supported just as they do now.

Go Chiefs!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
1.2.5  It Is ME  replied to  JohnRussell @1.2.1    4 years ago

Well....that sure looks like a different flag than a confederate flag.

"Dissimilar" sure don't make a "Similar", no matter how hard one tries to "Make it so" ( Jean-Luc Picard quote).

Sparty On
Professor Principal
2  Sparty On    4 years ago

No loss, never watched it anyway.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3  It Is ME    4 years ago

I stopped going and watching years ago, after they required all the cars to be...…"THE SAME"  !

Being "THE SAME" is really BORING !

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
3.1  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  It Is ME @3    4 years ago

I remember back in 2010 Rusty Wallace ran unrestricted (no restrictor plate) laps at 228 MPH at Talladega in practice laps to see the effect the plates had. Of course I don't remember them running non-restrictor after that. Too bad too but I guess safety first................

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @3.1    4 years ago

The days of No Restrictor plates ….. was RACING !

Now they all just line up bunched together for the entire race, and everyone waits for the 20 car pile up just before the finish. No one even wants to try and pass someone on their own because they ain't got the HP to do it. They need 5 cars behind them pushing them to get around another line of cars trying to do the same thing, and by the next lap, that group has faded back again.

Now, races are won in the pits, not out on the track.

charger 383
Professor Silent
6  charger 383    4 years ago

NASCAR now means No Actual Stock Cars Are Racing.  Old Winston Cup racing with factory sponsored cars was much better 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.1  It Is ME  replied to  charger 383 @6    4 years ago

Exactly.

Can't say "Winston" anymore...… it's a ….. gasp ….. Cigarette thingy. jrSmiley_19_smiley_image.gif

MrFrost
Professor Expert
7  MrFrost    4 years ago

How many statues of Hitler do you see in Germany? Zero. We have no need to display statues of people who committed treason against the USA. NASCAR finally got the message. 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
7.1  MonsterMash  replied to  MrFrost @7    4 years ago
How many statues of Hitler do you see in Germany? Zero. We have no need to display statues of people who committed treason against the USA.

How many Democrats do we see today? Too many. [deleted  (thanks for removing the death wishing)]

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
7.1.1  MonsterMash  replied to  MonsterMash @7.1    4 years ago
[deleted  (thanks for removing the death wishing)]

There was no death wishing

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
7.2  MonsterMash  replied to  MrFrost @7    4 years ago
How many statues of Hitler do you see in Germany? Zero. We have no need to display statues of people who committed treason against the USA.

Does Germany still have a Nazi Party? NO. [deleted]

MrFrost
Professor Expert
8  MrFrost    4 years ago

Not sure why the right is so up in arms about this, one would think they should be used to losing by now. 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9  MrFrost    4 years ago

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
9.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  MrFrost @9    4 years ago

And vice versa as depicted in The Bands legendary song the night they drove old Dixie down. 

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
10  Just Jim NC TttH    4 years ago

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
11  MonsterMash    4 years ago

The only black driver in NASCAR is named BUBBA jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

charger 383
Professor Silent
12  charger 383    4 years ago

Richard Petty Motorsports has been in decline,  Only one car, can not keep sponsors, moved to smaller rented shop and most of their stuff is leased.  Last year, Richard sold historic racecars, trophies, memorabilia and gave money to Victory Junction (Kyle Petty's charity), which then sponsored 43 because they could not get anyone to.   Only way they could keep 43 on the track.

Fans have been saying NASCAR is paying Petty to keep Wallace in 43 car, so they can say they have a black driver   

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
12.1  MonsterMash  replied to  charger 383 @12    4 years ago

He has a new sponsor......BLM