Trump's solution for the coronavirus? Don't talk about it

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  cb  •  one month ago  •  103 comments

By:   CB

Trump's solution for the coronavirus? Don't talk about it
The coronavirus, "or whatever you want to call it," as he told the crowd, is now just another throw-away line in Trump's political patter, meant to jab a foreign adversary and energize his base.

This is crazy. We are a nation caught in the teeth of a pandemic, an invisible microscopic foe and people are so 'dense' as to not address it? Just to appease an air-headed foolish man named Donald Trump? How small a great people can become in a short period of time. 

Some of us are being lulled to sleep on this virus! Wake up! Shake yourselves from this mental slumber!

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

President Trump drew a few laughs and hollers of approval Thursday when he railed against "the plague coming in from China" to supporters packed into a Dallas church.

But he didn't dwell on public health concerns. The coronavirus, "or whatever you want to call it," as he told the crowd, is now just another throw-away line in Trump's political patter, meant to jab a foreign adversary and energize his base.

Nearly six weeks after Trump stopped daily televised briefings at the White House that drew sharp criticism for his false claims and dangerous advice -- such as injecting household disinfectant to kill the virus -- he has a new tactic: ignoring the threat.

He rarely speaks of COVID-19, which has killed more than 114,000 people in the United States and more than 300,000 others elsewhere in the world. When he does mention it, he usually claims imminent victory -- pledging on June 5, for example, to "stomp out" any "embers" of the disease.

Nor does he remind Americans to stay vigilant although confirmed cases increased in nearly two dozen states since they began reopening beaches, restaurants and other businesses and facilities. Oregon on Friday put a pause on its reopening to regain control as cases began to multiply.

Doctors have diagnosed more than 2 million U.S. infections so far, more than double the number of any other nation, even as public health experts warn that a second wave is likely in August or September, long before a potential vaccine appears possible.

The once-ubiquitous White House coronavirus task force, led by Vice President Mike Pence, now meets only once or twice a week behind closed doors and arranges one or two calls a week with state and local officials, according to a task force official. They hold no public briefings.

"Suddenly, the screen went blank," said Dr. Jeffrey Koplan, a former director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. If "they think that the risks are over, that’s dead wrong."

The administration apparently has decided "politically it's better for them not to engage in this pandemic," he added.

“I'm concerned that we're going to see some of the things that we’re already seeing," said Dr. David Satcher, a former CDC director and U.S. surgeon general. "When people stop the social distancing and sheltering at home, we’re going to see a spike again in cases. There are already examples of it, and the fear is there are going to be more.”

That see-no-evil approach put the White House at odds with federal health officials Friday when the CDC urged organizers of large gatherings that involve shouting, chanting or singing to “strongly encourage” the use of cloth face coverings to lower the risk of spreading the coronavirus.

The CDC issued the guidelines two days after Trump said he would hold a reelection rally next Friday, his first since early March. He'll address supporters in a 19,000-seat indoor arena in Tulsa, Okla., with other campaign rallies to follow in Florida, Arizona, and North Carolina -- four states where cases have spiked.

Trump's aides have not said what, if any, protections they will provide the crowd. But to get a ticket, attendees must sign a waiver pledging not to sue the Trump campaign if they catch the virus at the rally, suggesting their confidence has limits.

Trump, who has refused to wear a mask in public, has made clear he's ready to move on. On Thursday, he flew to his golf club in Bedminster, N.J., for his first long weekend at one of his resorts since March.

For More Go To the Seed!

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

CB
1  seeder  CB     one month ago

We should never get to busy (distracted) by Trump's fake blond hair moving in, out, and about to recognize that this "American president" has decided that he can't dominate the coronavirus (Covid 19) narrative so he has chosen to throw the citizens of this country under the bus!  An American president sworn to protect all the people, basically abdicating in cowardly fashion that he can't get the job done.

Trump is weakness, masquerading in a "macho-suit." Trump should not have your "blessings" or participation in letting good people die or be disrespected by poor, pathetic messaging about this virus.

We don't even get told non-conflicting information about how to protect ourselves. We don't even get basics like: which is a sure fire mask to look for (and find/buy) that will not only not let us transmit our coughs but actually keep us save from people who are sneezing and coughing without masks - which aerosolize dangerous virus particles specifically in enclosed buildings for up to three hours.

Yet, people are following this fake blond-headed nightmare around watching his "drama" like it is life itself! It is not. Donald Trump is a cowardly, tired, old relic and he needs to go back out into the private sector where the harm he does is at the least diluted by competing interests and other professionals.

Tacos!
1.1  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1    one month ago
he has chosen to throw the citizens of this country under the bus!  An American president sworn to protect all the people, basically abdicating in cowardly fashion that he can't get the job done.

Thrown under the bus how? What is it you think he should be doing that he isn't?

We don't even get told non-conflicting information about how to protect ourselves.

Yeah, there have been a lot of conflicting recommendations. That's the science, though, not the president.

a sure fire mask to look for

I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a "sure fire mask." Even an N95 mask, which much be fitted and worn properly (most aren't), is only going to filter out 95% of particles under the best of circumstances.

CB
1.1.1  seeder  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.1    one month ago

And so you RISE to protest what exactly? The president of the United States (or is that the Divided States?) being complained about? Or, the lack of visible straightforward useful resource information from pandemic professionals who can better articulate medical/science subject matter without the political overlay?

CB
1.1.2  seeder  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.1    one month ago

The "sure-fire" mask is the one or several all of us should be offered a chance to wear and not this "menu" of 95, 70, or 60 or less protection selection that is currently on the table. Everybody is marketing masks these days and many are worthless against this various. Also, since we are being directed to reuse masks>>>what is stated 'best practices' for re-sterilizing mask. The public is doing any number of (inappropriate/questionable) methods even in its due diligence.

We need leadership from the CDC and not just on its website. The medical professionals need a public platform during a (public) pandemic to answer questions uniformly. And get us near to being on the same page. Trump has pulled his support away from them doing so. You can deny it if you try; this coronavirus is about all of us, and it high-tide we demand help from those who will not permit us to find it (help) for ourselves!

Paula Bartholomew
1.1.3  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  CB @1.1.2    one month ago

Forget it.  Once they are Kool Aid indoctrinated lemmings, explaining anything close to common sense is a wasted effort.

Tacos!
1.1.4  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.1.1    one month ago
And so you RISE to protest what exactly?

Where do you get that I am protesting something? I am responding to your comment. Why don't you just try reading the words as written instead of trying to imagine some other meaning for them.

Or, the lack of visible straightforward useful resource information from pandemic professionals who can better articulate medical/science subject matter without the political overlay?

What lack of pandemic professionals? We hear from the scientists all the time.

Tacos!
1.1.5  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.1.2    one month ago
Everybody is marketing masks these days and many are worthless against this various

I don't know what standard you are working from, but if you are waiting on a perfect mask, as I said, I don't think there is one. However, I believe the scientists are saying that even a cotton covering, like a scarf or shirt, is better than nothing.

And get us near to being on the same page.

That might be more about us, as a society, than it is about the CDC or anyone in government.

Trump has pulled his support away from them doing so.

How so?

CB
1.1.6  seeder  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.1.4    one month ago

Do you listen as well as you hear is the question-at-large. Where does Trump get the notion he can hold a rally in Oklahoma with a 19,000 occupancy full arena (crammed) and I feel comfortable stating he will want the overflow "population" draped around the exterior building. . . . And, it's good scientific/medical advice to do it?  No social distancing in the arena; no masks because Trump says no to it.

Nah! Donald is not listening to proper scientists or the medical professionals who attend to the sick, succor their pain and save lives. He is putting his base at risk on a personal whim. And apparently its okay with fanboys and fangirls who will go back home not knowing what and how much of any virus they are transporting and possibly transmitting.

Trump hears. But he does not ingest/listens! These same people will fan out like cockroaches and rats into the greater Oklahoma area and its surroundings. . . without a scientific or medical understanding of any of this—and, I just know you are okay with that!

CB
1.1.7  seeder  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.1.5    one month ago
However, I believe the scientists are saying that even a cotton covering, like a scarf or shirt, is better than nothing.

Why is "better than nothing" proper, Tacos!? How is "better than nothing" a standard at all? Is t a "high water mark"? Please elaborate on "better than nothing" as an achievement.

But reflect on what you are about to express before you continue. Then go for it!

Tacos!
1.1.8  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.1.6    one month ago
Where does Trump get the notion he can hold a rally in Oklahoma with a 19,000 occupancy full arena (crammed)

Probably from all the Democrats applauding crowds at protests that are just as large. I wouldn't host an event like that, and I certainly wouldn't attend one either. But politically, it's shockingly hypocritical for people to support BLM demonstrations but condemn others as unsafe.

I just know you are okay with that!

You really don't anything about what I'm okay with, so stop claiming you "know." 

Tacos!
1.1.9  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.1.7    one month ago
Why is "better than nothing" proper, Tacos!?

What do you mean by proper? It's what's available. Proper would be perfection but perfection doesn't exist. We can't magically produce something that doesn't exist.

Please elaborate on "better than nothing" as an achievement.

I didn't say it was an achievement. I'm simply reporting the situation to you. You won't face facts, though. You're just being angry.

Apparently Trump is at fault for everything from a global pandemic to the state of scientific consensus to mask technology. I don't know how that could be possible, but you sure give a lot of credit for the power and magic of the president of the United States.

CB
1.1.10  seeder  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.1.8    one month ago

For your information BLM is not 'hosting' anything. And, it a category mistake to claim a Trump "rally" is a protest march in any sense of the wording. But nice try at 'wiping bottoms' with black and white protestors - some I imagine are conservatives fed up with street justice murders/killings too. So they feel compelled to face the risks involved.

Is that what Trump supporters are doing: Taking risks (without social distancing, without masks, in an enclosed walled-in building, and by signing a waiver to not sue the Trump campaign? That last translating to: 'I'll risk taking Coronavirus/Covid 19 home to family members for the team' )?

Tacos!
1.1.11  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.1.10    one month ago
For your information BLM is not 'hosting' anything.

Never said they were hosting anything. I said they were BLM demonstrations. That's true. Or do you think the demonstrations are about something else? Why is this even a thing you want to fight over?

And, it a category mistake to claim a Trump "rally" is aprotest march in any sense of the wording.

OK, I would agree with that, but I never claimed that Trump's rally was a protest march. What all these things do have in common is that they are very large gatherings of people. They also have in common that they are coming together for a political purpose.

But the most important point is that they are large gatherings of people - something we are supposed to be trying to avoid for health reasons.

some I imagine are conservatives fed up with street justice murders/killings too

I would certainly hope so, though I would prefer if everyone so concerned could find a less pandemic-promoting way of expressing themselves. Sadly, that ship has sailed.

CB
1.1.12  seeder  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.1.9    one month ago
Proper would be perfection but perfection doesn't exist.

"Proper" does not equal perfection. You must know better than this!  @1.1.7:

Why is "better than nothing" proper, Tacos!? How is "better than nothing" a standard at all? Is [i]t a "high water mark"?

There is your context for the word: proper.

The rest of your comment is an ad homimen attack void of meaning.

CB
1.1.13  seeder  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.1.11    one month ago
Never said they were hosting anything. I said they were BLM demonstration s

You COMPARE what Trump is about to do (you labeled it "host") to BLM demonstrations here:

_v=63f541561487132 1.1.8 Tacos! replied to  CB @ 1.1.6   9 hours ago
Where does Trump get the notion he can hold a rally in Oklahoma with a 19,000 occupancy full arena (crammed)

Probably from all the Democrats applauding crowds at protests that are just as large. I wouldn't host an event like that, and I certainly wouldn't attend one either. But politically, it's shockingly hypocritical for people to support BLM demonstrations but condemn others as unsafe.

Now you can tinker around with implications and ambiguous words choices all day long or together we can try to 'count' the time we interact together as meaningful.

I am not inclined to hold your hand in this. If you want to earnestly discuss and drive issues forward I am here for that. I ain't available for any more 'roundabouts' of internet digital 'jaw-jackings' per se.

CB
1.1.14  seeder  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.1.11    one month ago

Some movement ("softening") there. And, it is appreciated by me.

Large gatherings is the commonality; the intersection; the crossing point on the axis. But, there the similarity significantly ends. Trump's rally is pure politics for the purposes of getting elected. In that sense, no one is expecting to be outwardly injured, killed, and definitely not murdered there.

What is happening around the country is outrage at injuries, killings, and murders committed by state authorities who have contractual immunities and powerful police unions to shield them from recovery, firings, and corrections.

The police 'violence' in this country is out of control. It has boiled over; it has come to a 'head.'  We saw a man get the life mashed out him under the strong knee of a state official for 8:46 seconds. No neck can withstand sustained pressure that long, even a child knows this. Therefore, between hands-on and bullets the issue has come to the ford during a pandemic.

Lastly, protest is not a choice- not a 'want.' When protest occurs it is a need.

Presidential rallies/large gatherings may be uplifting, but there is no imperative there. Rally or protest. They are not the same things.

Tacos!
1.1.15  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.1.12    one month ago
"Proper" does not equal perfection. You must know better than this!

If you like. I'm not the one who is worried about it. You are.

The rest of your comment is an ad homimen attack void of meaning.

You are really trying very hard to make this confrontational and I don't understand why.

Tacos!
1.1.16  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.1.13    one month ago
or together we can try to 'count' the time we interact together as meaningful.

OK then may I suggest that you start by trying not to assign meaning to my words that isn't there? The whole point of what I was talking about clearly had nothing to do with blaming BLM for hosting anything and even after I pointed out that I never said they were hosting anything, you are keeping at it.

I am not inclined to hold your hand in this. If you want to earnestly discuss and drive issues forward I am here for that.

I have consistently responded to the words you are writing, so I don't know what you mean by this.

I ain't available for any more 'roundabouts' of internet digital 'jaw-jackings' per se.

Good? I don't know what that means.

Tacos!
1.1.17  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.1.14    one month ago
Trump's rally is pure politics . . . What is happening around the country is outrage

Having a better political agenda doesn't do anything to the virus. It doesn't care about our politics. I believe if you care about social distancing and the spread of the virus, then you should oppose all of these gatherings, not just the ones you agree with.

Lastly, protest is not a choice

People always have a choice. They just don't like the choices. There are ways to approach this issue that don't involve endangering the health of millions of people. You can even find ways to protest that don't involve shredding social distancing guidelines.

CB
1.1.18  seeder  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.1.17    one month ago
Having a better political agenda doesn't do anything to the virus. It doesn't care about our politics. I believe if you care about social distancing and the spread of the virus, then you should oppose all of these gatherings, not just the ones you agree with.

And if you can make these determinations and opinions, I am sure you can see why Donald Trump rallies where no mask or social distancing is the intent in a large arena ENCLOSURE is worse.

I don't approve of the protests. I understand their urgency and respect them in-spite of the danger. They are open and wide-spread across feets, miles, and regions. A Trump rally, well, is simply not!

Continue on with your deflection, though I may not respond - nevertheless.

Tacos!
1.1.19  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.1.18    one month ago
I am sure you can see why Donald Trump rallies where no mask or social distancing is the intent in a large arena ENCLOSURE is worse.

Who cares if it's worse? I already said I disagree with all large gatherings. It is up to you to justify how exposing thousands of people in one scenario is ok versus another. Exposing thousands of people to disease is stupid and I don't care what your "reason" is.

Continue on with your deflection

Please stop with that crap. I'm not deflecting anything. I have a point of view that is pretty clear. Large gatherings are dumb. Deflect that.

CB
1.1.20  seeder  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.1.19    one month ago

We're done here. Large gatherings can be different due to situation and urgency. If you can't see that-its not my or anyone's fault but your own.

Here is a video about mask confusion. In thinking about the President, see if it clears up anything for you:

Doctor Explains What You Need to Know About Wearing Masks for Covid-19 | Cause + Control | WIRED

There's a lot of conflicting information when it comes to wearing masks in public during the coronavirus pandemic. Dr. Seema Yasmin explains everything we need to know about wearing masks. Should we be wearing masks? What kinds of masks should we wear? Can we make our own?

From video start to end, see if you can read between the words and the smiles and the illustrations to what this doctor is telling you. I would love to read your analysis of her overall message! NOTE: As usually the case, you can speed up Youtube videos in the Settings (wheel icon).

Tacos!
1.1.21  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.1.20    one month ago
Large gatherings can be different due to situation and urgency. If you can't see that-its not my or anyone's fault but your own.

Urgency has zero effect on the ability of the virus to spread from person to person. If you can't see that-its not my or anyone's fault but your own.

From video start to end, see if you can read between the words and the smiles and the illustrations to what this doctor is telling you.

I don't know what you're driving at. I have seen her videos before, by the way, and she seems like a competent, intelligent person. I can't say there is anything in her video I disagree with.

By the way, I notice she said the CDC is saying cloth masks are not as effective as N95, but still better than nothing, which is exactly what I said.

CB
1.1.22  seeder  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.1.21    one month ago
Urgency has zero effect on the ability of the virus to spread from person to person. If you can't see that-its not my or anyone's fault but your own.

Gasp! If you can't conclude that 'urgency' of police violence against civilians needing to stop/end/terminate is leading to people being out in the streets in protest—its not my fault. Two issues can be true and overlay each other completely or in part.

Our current president is on the sidelines of coronavirus, even if he is allowed to be dismissive or off to one side of the civil unrest. That is not leadership; it is self-interest. Trump has left the people he swore to protect from harm in the path of harm.

You know it even as you dodge taking the incoming 'hit.' 

What are Trump supporters going to say and do once the death count rackets up?  Stating these death numbers are like the seasonal flu has failed

Tacos!
1.1.23  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.1.22    one month ago
Gasp! If you can't conclude that 'urgency' of police violence against civilians needing to stop/end/terminate is leading to people being out in the streets in protest

That's not what I said. I know why they are out there and you know that I know. You are ignoring the fact that all those people out there are spreading disease. A disease we can't cure yet.

What are Trump supporters going to say and do once the death count rackets up? 

I don't know and I don't care because I don't endorse his rallies. What are protesters going to say when we get a fresh surge of Covid-19 cases and deaths. Do they even care? Do you?

CB
1.1.24  seeder  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.1.21    one month ago
I notice she said the CDC is saying cloth masks are not as effective as N95, but still better than nothing, which is exactly what I said.

That is what she said.

That is what the CDC said.

That is what you said.

All to our shame!

She said that these cloth masks are 'one-way' protection. They will trap a cough or sneeze in the material. However, cloth masks will not protect against small droplets which are incoming (areosolized) and going around the loose openings of the materials or simply passing through the material itself!

This is the world preeminent nation and we have insufficient supplies of proper protective masks to keep our people safe. It is not rocket science - you make appropriate virus-grade masks in sufficient numbers to cover anybody who wants one/to buy them.

"better than nothing" is not a standard, Tacos! It's a sham.

CB
1.1.25  seeder  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.1.23    one month ago

Of course I care. This is why I say we need a unifying president in our most desperate of times. However, this president is off launching campaigns and "combat" scenarios against the public he swore to serve and keep from harm!

You can't ignore it, because your silence on this point speaks volumes.

Gordy327
1.1.26  Gordy327  replied to  CB @1.1.25    one month ago
This is why I say we need a unifying president in our most desperate of times.

Well, he is unifying certain types. But as a whole, he has been divisive. He sets a bad example by not wearing masks when it's known to help protect others from Covid. Then he actually encourages dissent amongst the masses. What kind of president does that?

She said that these cloth masks are 'one-way' protection. They will trap a cough or sneeze in the material. However, cloth masks will not protect against small droplets which are incoming (areosolized) and going around the loose openings of the materials or simply passing through the material itself!

Which is why everyone should continue to wear masks and practice social distancing when possible. It's not rocket science. And yet, some people either neglect or outright refuse to do just that.

This is the world preeminent nation and we have insufficient supplies of proper protective masks to keep our people safe. It is not rocket science - you make appropriate virus-grade masks in sufficient numbers to cover anybody who wants one/to buy them.

The real tragedy in that is we actually had advanced warning about Covid months before it actually hit us here. But nothing was done or it was simply brushed off. It's like a viral Pearl Harbor: we had warnings, but failed to mobilize proper defenses in time.

CB
1.1.27  seeder  CB   replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.26    one month ago

Emphatically.

Tacos!
1.1.28  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.1.24    one month ago
It's a sham.

You call it a sham as if someone is lying or cheating us. The state of personal protection technology is what it is. Disappointing? Sure, but there's no one to be angry at over it.

Tacos!
1.1.29  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.1.25    one month ago
This is why I say we need a unifying president in our most desperate of times.

Sure, that would be nice. But under the current circumstances, what would that look like? Would it even be possible? If we had a president focused on reining in the virus, he would be condemning all of these gatherings. Right now, that's not a real popular position, is it?

You can't ignore it, because your silence on this point speaks volumes.

How do you get that I am silent or ignoring something?

CB
1.1.30  seeder  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.1.28    one month ago

Untrue. It is a lack of leadership at the top! I'm calling you out for a dismal betrayal of the citizenry on this one. Our medical heroes have earned a retrieve from the battle fields of Covid-19. It is a time for refreshing in the briefest of interludes. The essential health workers refresh and the administration should get to work on supplies for essential workers, non-essential workers, and the general public.

Instead this administration is squandering its down time between the spread of this coronavirus and protest youth of all races, ethnicities, groups, and possibly political persuasions not on acquiring adequate and proper PPE materials for everybody. Trump is literally demanding his supporters "uncover" themselves and nakedly face the virus next week before him! UNBELIEVABLE.

Disappointing. Disturbing. Shockingly stupid. Unworthy leadership. Promise to protect the whole country in times of crises: UNKEPT.

(And still you are here supporting this trifling and inept wannabe leader of the free world. Well Tacos!, now that we are a country with a leader that likes to 'navel-gaze' at itself -the world is moving on without us.)

CB
1.1.31  seeder  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.1.29    one month ago

Again untrue. The protestors are facing down racism and police violence and doing it outdoors, open air, and in the best masks available to the public.

It is a constitutional mandate for the president to work to make the nation a safe place for all and not just Trump supporters and their personal political whims. Trump has combatively never lived up to this specific mandate. He has just tried to distort and bend the will of the citizens and other nations to his questionable worldview and has failed.

An indoor Trump rally next week will not make the nation safe or in any way better off against this coronavirus or police violence against black boys and men.

Indeed, Trump is behaving like a man with a double-mind. A scatter-brain approach is taking place as Trump turns to vainly trying to secure his reelection; while, leaving our truest of medical heroes and this nation's citizenry abandoned in the center of the eye of a pandemic and an outbreak of racist policing to fend for themselves.

Trump is a chump.

igknorantzrulz
1.1.32  igknorantzrulz  replied to  CB @1.1.31    one month ago

Trump is a chump.

he is so past that

FLYNAVY1
1.1.33  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.4    one month ago

We hear from the scientists all the time.

Exactly how long has it be since we heard from the virus task force in a televised presentation.....?

The last one was 27APR20

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-06-05/fauci-virus-task-force-sidelined-with-trump-all-in-on-reopening

Tacos!
1.1.34  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.1.31    one month ago
The protestors are facing down racism and police violence and doing it outdoors, open air,

Being outside is not some kind of magic bullet that prevents the spread of the virus. It might help some, but think about it. There is a reason we don't have baseball and football games. There is a reason theme parks have been closed. These people are jammed together for hours. That's not social distancing.

and in the best masks available to the public

OK are you being serious right now? The "best" masks?

Pedro
1.1.35  Pedro  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.34    one month ago

I agree. It definitely will disperse more quickly outside, but it's a big assumption that that happens before a person walks through the previous person's sneeze or cough or what have you; if you're sitting in a packed arena though, that doesn't really count as being outside for all intents and purposes because no social distancing cancels the other things out.

I do think that even if the only thing masks are good for is the Placebo Effect, then it's really still a net positive. Nothing wrong with bringing a little peace of mind to people you cross paths with (although really, they're about 20% effective).

Tacos!
1.1.36  Tacos!  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1.33    one month ago

Dr. Fauci is on TV multiple times a week. He was CNN a couple days ago . He did a newspaper interview yesterday. Dr. Birx also does a lot of media. The CDC is regularly updating it's findings and guidance and it's covered in all the news media. We hear from them  all the time. 

CB
1.1.37  seeder  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.1.34    4 weeks ago

Okay. Well it is clear you want to talk about protestors (who have an unalienable right to protest assumptive murders of black males. Equally, clear you do not intend to be on balance and discuss President Trump's miserable track record with the Coronavirus (Covid 9) or his insistence on posturing an enclosed arena "convention" of sorts this weekend (no masks or social distancing required).

I find your attempt to have us look the other way at protestors and not at the singular head of the country unfortunate and frankly, tiresome. Time to move back into the center of discussion. My time visiting with you has come to an end.  Good Monday!

CB
1.1.38  seeder  CB   replied to  Pedro @1.1.35    4 weeks ago

Masks are effective to various percentages. However, there are masks (3M N95)  that set the 'standard'! Our government is not pursuing those masks for the public in any notable or sufficient numbers. We are told not to look for them and are not given a chance to buy them!

We are out here with a microbe, acting as "every man, woman, and child for itself!"

This is wrong. We should say so often! Trump is not doing his duty to protect the citizens of this nation from an invading virus!

Ronin2
1.1.39  Ronin2  replied to  CB @1.1.6    4 weeks ago
Where does Trump get the notion he can hold a rally in Oklahoma with a 19,000 occupancy full arena (crammed) and I feel comfortable stating he will want the overflow "population" draped around the exterior building. . . . And, it's good scientific/medical advice to do it?  No social distancing in the arena; no masks because Trump says no to it.

The same place Antifa, BLM, and other leftist might mental midgets get the idea that protesting in large groups, most unmasked, is a good idea. I know, the virus won't affect them because they lack a brain. Wait, that isn't how the virus works. So it must be their cause that will keep them safe; or the almighty D's behind their name./S

Nah! Donald is not listening to proper scientists or the medical professionals who attend to the sick, succor their pain and save lives. He is putting his base at risk on a personal whim. And apparently its okay withfanboys and fangirlswho will go back home not knowing what and how much of any virus they are transporting and possibly transmitting.

Unlike the Democrat Mayors and Governors that are doing jack shit of nothing to protect the protesters, rioters, and looters. Of course all of them are locals, and again they can't catch covid-19. Or at least the left sure as hell acts that way.

Trump hears. But he does not ingest/listens! These same people will fan out like cockroaches and rats into the greater Oklahoma area and its surroundings. . . without a scientific or medical understanding of any of this—and, I just know you are okay with that!

Which puts him in good company with the Democrats. Which the left is more than OK with.

Oh, and blaming Trump for the left wing morons that come to the to protest him; that is the height of hypocrisy. Trump isn't forcing them to be there. Their left wing stupidity is. A lot of that overflow you are complaining about will be for the protesters.

I have stated many times I can't stand Trump; but I am taking the lesser of two evils and voting a straight Republican ticket for the first time ever. I will not reward the left for their constant BS. They don't even deserve to hold the position of dog catcher.

Pedro
1.1.40  Pedro  replied to  CB @1.1.38    4 weeks ago

Actual fit masks are. What most people are relegated to aren't. Those are by and large right around that 20% effectiveness mark. But I do agree that once again, we are not seeing our tax money used to our benefit when we most need it to be.

Tacos!
1.1.41  Tacos!  replied to  CB @1.1.37    4 weeks ago
I find your attempt to have us look the other way at protestors and not at the singular head of the country unfortunate and frankly, tiresome.

I find your constant misrepresentation of my comments tiresome. You are trying to pick a fight on a point I agree with you on. What the hell?!

CB
1.1.42  seeder  CB   replied to  Ronin2 @1.1.39    4 weeks ago

The "Left" is not desperate for your vote. Keep it, Trump supporter. You can stand Trump; yes you can. Apparently, you can stand and REWARD him four more years from your point of view. Evils be damned.

CB
1.1.43  seeder  CB   replied to  Tacos! @1.1.41    4 weeks ago

Time to move on and seek discussion with other people, Tacos!

FLYNAVY1
1.1.44  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.36    4 weeks ago

And exactly when did we hear from them with the weight of the President, or VP standing next to them......?  Get real Tacos.... you know damn good and well not a single Trump supporter will care it Fauci or Brix are on CNN, or do a newspaper interview.  

If Pence is next to them at the podium, then the Trump supporters just might take heed of what they put out in the way of Covid information and recommendations.  Otherwise, there is no virus to be worried about in Trumpland.

CB
1.1.45  seeder  CB   replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1.44    4 weeks ago
Get real Tacos.... you know damn good and well not a single Trump supporter will care it Fauci or Brix are on CNN, or do a newspaper interview.  

Tell it like it tis, FlyNavy1! You know the deal!

FLYNAVY1
1.1.46  FLYNAVY1  replied to  CB @1.1.45    4 weeks ago

Tacos is way smarter than this and we both know it...

I just don't get the strength of loyalty to defend Trump over all else.  Personal pride in not wanting to admit wrongness...? [deleted]

Tribal loyalty...? None of them are worth the damage being done to the country and the Constitution.

It's not even about governing anymore either..... just holding on to power.  Point.... what was the last bill generated by republicans in the senate, not virus or police related, directed at helping American citizens?  

Tacos!
1.1.47  Tacos!  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1.46    4 weeks ago

Is there some reason you think you get to talk about me rather than to me?

Tacos!
1.1.48  Tacos!  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1.44    4 weeks ago
And exactly when did we hear from them with the weight of the President, or VP standing next to them......?

You're moving the goalposts a bit, aren't you? You wanted the people to hear from scientists. Now that you found out we hear from them quite bit, you want it to always be with Trump standing next to them? That would be a different issue.

you know damn good and well not a single Trump supporter will care it Fauci or Brix are on CNN, or do a newspaper interview

I actually don't know that - it's just your (probably biased) opinion of people you haven't met - and also those scientists appear on Fox and do interviews with conservative papers as well.

By the way, there is a school of thought that says communication on the pandemic should only come from the scientists and not at all from politicians. So your desire to have politicians in the mix may be misguided.

Tessylo
1.1.49  Tessylo  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.48    4 weeks ago

Speaking of moving goal posts, etc.

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

CB
1.1.50  seeder  CB   replied to  FLYNAVY1 @1.1.46    4 weeks ago

They're locking in judges and justices. Some republicans, they hate us for our liberties.

Greg Jones
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  CB @1    one month ago

Yet another I hate Trump thread....Oh Boo, Hoo, Hoo......  If you want weakness and indecision, elect wimpy old Joe.

This subject has been talked to death anyway. Daily briefings are not required anymore. If people haven't learned to stay safe by now, there is no hope for them. If people want information, true and false, they can rely on the main stream media, since no one on the left believes anything Trump says anyhow. As far as I know, Trump is not a doctor and should not be giving medical advice. I much prefer he tweet less and appoint more conservative judges and hold election rallies. .

CB
1.2.1  seeder  CB   replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    one month ago

Your comment is. . . flippant. But, clearly you do not respect the virus and its new projections of thousands of more deaths by this fall. [deleted] - Peter. We don't need to hear from Trump anymore than we need 'flip' from you. What we need is factual information condensed down to servicable soundbites and we need public use of N95 (95 percent virus protection masks) now and before this fall.

All of your Trump macho fhit won't be worth a damn if and on the occasion of someone you know getting sick, dying, or dead from the virus. "Oh, oh!" Ain't worth two-cents worth of prevention.

What we need from Trump is to take his ignorant effective finger off the 'scale' of science and stand aside. We don't need him at the mic. Let the CDC work this pandemic with its scientific insights/decisions/recommendations.

bugsy
2  bugsy    one month ago

So who is letting people that rioted, looted and burned property, die because they went out doing so without masks or distancing? Same thing with the "peaceful protesters". They were side by side for long periods of time, most without masks.

Never mind...we know...That's Trump's fault too...

Predictable.

Problem with your face mask "scenario" is that every "expert" with this virus has given conflicting information about just about every aspect of the virus.

Some say the N95 should be the only one used, some say simple cotton "surgery" masks are fine, and yet others say wearing a bandana is just fine.

Just because Trump has not come out and said "wear this" does not mean you can't man up and make your own decisions based on how best to protect you and your family.

This "seed" is proof the left only wants to rely on what the government tells them, and personal responsibility be damned.

XDm9mm
2.1  XDm9mm  replied to  bugsy @2    one month ago
This "seed" is proof the left only wants to rely on what the government tells them,

Actually the seed is proof that the left NEEDS the government to tell them what they should and should not do as personal responsibility is not in their vocabulary.  

CB
2.1.1  seeder  CB   replied to  XDm9mm @2.1    one month ago

You simply can not relate to anybody who is not a Trump supporter on anything. Could it be that through some method republicans and conservatives are not proportional among the sick, dying, and dead from this pandemic?

Note: I don't give a damn about what you think personal responsibility is XDm9mm. At this point, all you are is 'noise' in virtual reality railing about an ideology - whether you live it to its purposes or not.

XDm9mm
2.1.2  XDm9mm  replied to  CB @2.1.1    one month ago
Note: I don't give a damn about what you think personal responsibility is XDm9mm

Maybe you should learn some for yourself, before you worry about what others believe it is.

So to quote you;

all you are is 'noise' in virtual reality railing

CB
2.1.3  seeder  CB   replied to  XDm9mm @2.1.2    one month ago

Until Trump supporters can discuss "the bigness" of the science of coronavirus (Covid 19), the human experiences of this virus, the health care workers living and dying at risk to this virus taking care of the sick, dying and dead, the lack of proper uniformed (one-ness) information for public access, the lack of sufficient and efficient masks for the citizenry,— trump supporters are as much responsible for this tragedy we're in as the man who is deliberately and arrogantly looking the other way as it continues to ravish and satiate itself on the people Trump took an oath to serve. Trump is a very "small" man as humans go.

CB
2.2  seeder  CB   replied to  bugsy @2    one month ago
This "seed" is proof the left only wants to rely on what the government tells them, and personal responsibility be damned.

Are you suggesting that you know bar none what is appropriate without insight from the pandemic professionals? Are you suggesting you have been fully and properly informed on how to keep your family properly safe during this pandemic? Are you suggesting that you do not need any "updates" to the pandemic information from the authorities?

Those authorities are needed. And they are under the control of the federal government headed by VP Pence and he is under President Trump. If you can't make the proper connections to leadership and where the "buck stops" that is not my problem. Perhaps, you need to suspend your biases and dig your talking points>>if only perchance you need to safe a life that is dear to you this summer or fall due to a pandemic virus.

(Just because you can't see it; it does not stand that the virus is not nearby any of us.)

This notion that thousands more could/should die while the leader of this country puts his 'blinders' down in order to feign coolness, all the while he is covering his ass behind the best that medicine has to offer, means he is a straight up selfish asshole and if there is no crack between you and the policies of an ignorant leader . . . .  No one owes Trump to die or a relative to die because he can't cope with Coronavirus (Covid 19) and a fall election simultaneously.

Sean Treacy
3  Sean Treacy    one month ago

Makes more sense than pushing people to gather in groups of thousands and destroy cities.

XDm9mm
3.1  XDm9mm  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    one month ago
Makes more sense than pushing people to gather in groups of thousands and destroy cities.

Destroy their own communities and engage in 'undocumented shopping'.

CB
3.1.1  seeder  CB   replied to  XDm9mm @3.1    one month ago

As far as we know it could be "bad apples" conservatives mingled in amongst the protestors exploiting the situation.

NOTE: You/we are off-topic just so you know. I will have to reign it back into the coronavirus (Covid-19) any minute now. Unless you/we do so automatically.

MUVA
3.1.2  MUVA  replied to  CB @3.1.1    one month ago

A few bad apples can't wipe a store out in five minutes or in this case NY 25 stores in less than three hours.

CB
3.1.3  seeder  CB   replied to  MUVA @3.1.2    one month ago

And you write this to inform us of what? That black people and other racially innocent protestors are a bunch of thieving and riotous thugs? What's your game, Muva? Leave the double-entendres out. You're feel refreshed, in my opinion. And how can you be so intelligently informed about who the incendiary rioters and looters are, but omit any declaration of understanding about President Donald Trump lapses in proper judgement?

I seem to remember back in March/April you mentioned you quarantined yourself for fear of coronavirus/Covid-19. A frightening experience, I am sure. Myself, I seen to fight a hypochondriac's dread of it as every morning I wake to 'inspect' myself for symptoms. We don't know where and when America can become "the small world after all" in the Disney song. Do we? A little invisible microbe with free-reign over the lot of us.

As you know the virus started in China and hopped a plane to Europe and from there the world became its bed and nightstand. . . . All it takes is one ignorant, misinformed, uncaring jackass to set the country afire in the brushs of the plains and open spaces, because even small towns have 'in-doors.'

And will the mind/memories that attended you during your coronavirus lock-down as you waited on test results you yet manage to turn on people and disrespect the subject of this virus to follow Trump's disrespect for the virus and its power over its victims!

What a piece of work. Yes, really.

CB
3.2  seeder  CB   replied to  Sean Treacy @3    one month ago

Deflection. But you can't control police or police unions so "gathering in protests and demonstrations" it is. So much for the conservative talking point about "bad apples" police when you won't apply the same to "bad apples" rioters and looters.

On the other hand, apply your OVERSIZED TALKING POINT to getting law and order cops to actionable law and order, that is, to stopping officer "street justice" killings and the streets will return to something (anything) other violent  protest or "bad apples" corrupting marches.

cjcold
3.3  cjcold  replied to  Sean Treacy @3    4 weeks ago

You seem to forget that it was rednecks with military rifles (and not a medical mask to be seen) protesting wise shelter in place shutdowns that kicked off this marching season. Many of those protestors were out of state pro-agitators sent in to make a possible VP running mate look bad.

Tessylo
3.3.1  Tessylo  replied to  cjcold @3.3    4 weeks ago

Paid terrorists by the tRump/Barr criminal enterprise.

Texan1211
3.3.2  Texan1211  replied to  Tessylo @3.3.1    4 weeks ago
Paid terrorists by the tRump/Barr criminal enterprise.

Another wild-assed guess.

These are getting a little funny to see by now..

Kavika
4  Kavika     one month ago

The fact is that the administration seems to have put COVID19 on the back burner. The other fact is that Florida has an ever-increasing number of confirmed cases of COVID19. Today was another new record with 2581 new cases. 

CB
4.1  seeder  CB   replied to  Kavika @4    one month ago

It's remarkable. Our president's new "digs" is in Florida and the lack of interest in what is happening and setting up in its area hospitals with this coronavirus is. . . well, par for the course, as it is not lost on anybody that Trump begin talk of the virus stupidly and late; action on the virus late; departure from the talk of the virus stupidly early; departure from the action on the virus early.

And it gets worse, Trump has the unmitigating gall to fix his lips to ask it Trump supporters (and media presence too?) to sign "wellness" waivers to follow him, HIM, throughout the country and his rallies risking possible exposures, sickness, and death to themselves and their loved ones at home for HIS sake alone.

I guess if you know your audience. . . you can be a god!

MUVA
4.2  MUVA  replied to  Kavika @4    one month ago

Has testing picked up?

Kavika
4.2.1  Kavika   replied to  MUVA @4.2    one month ago

Florida has been averaging 30K per day for a while now. The concern is that more and more of the cases and deaths are showing up in counties that are not the epicenter of the outbreak. The epicenter would be three counties in South Florida.

MUVA
4.2.2  MUVA  replied to  Kavika @4.2.1    one month ago

Testing hasn't picked up here I have a few doctors as customers and the infection has stayed pretty low but it is almost fully opened here.

Paula Bartholomew
5  Paula Bartholomew    one month ago

This is from the moron in the WH who said that testing is overrated (yet is tested every day) and less testing means less cases.  

CB
5.1  seeder  CB   replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    one month ago

Trump is playing these conservatives for all its worth and they keep imploring him— "Can you play us some more, Sir?"

Gordy327
5.1.1  Gordy327  replied to  CB @5.1    one month ago
Trump is playing these conservatives for all its worth and they keep imploring him—

He did say once that he loves the poorly educated.

bugsy
5.1.2  bugsy  replied to  Gordy327 @5.1.1    one month ago
He did say once that he loves the poorly educated.

He did, and I'm sure he probably does, however, it has been shown that more high school educated or less people voted for Hillary, so, there's that.

Gordy327
5.1.3  Gordy327  replied to  bugsy @5.1.2    one month ago

I'm reminded of the movie  Idiocracy.

Dismayed Patriot
5.1.4  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Gordy327 @5.1.3    one month ago

"But Brawndo Trumps got what idiots crave. He's got electrolytes..."

igknorantzrulz
5.1.5  igknorantzrulz  replied to  bugsy @5.1.2    one month ago

He did, and I'm sure he probably does, however, it has been shown that more high school educated or less people voted for Hillary, so, there's that.

and 'there's that' , shows how one need not be so sophisticated and educated , to know how to vote for ones best interest, as his voting base, lead by Russian and running bullshit by his base , blocking all common sense, irregardless of his Line of Offense, as there was not a defense when America has become this Dense !

bugsy
5.1.6  bugsy  replied to  Gordy327 @5.1.3    4 weeks ago

Well. the left wing overtake of a portion of Seattle (CHAZ...or CHOP, whatever the hell they want to call themselves) shows how close to reality we are with that movie. Many, many democrat run cities are not far behind Seattle.

bugsy
5.1.7  bugsy  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.1.5    4 weeks ago
and 'there's that' , shows how one need not be so sophisticated and educated ,

Hilarious coming from someone whose posts make, well, almost zero sense....ever.

Speaking of being dense....

Tessylo
5.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  bugsy @5.1.7    4 weeks ago

It takes wit and intelligence to decipher Iggy's posts. . . Hang it up bugs.

Gordy327
5.2  Gordy327  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @5    one month ago
This is from the moron in the WH who said that testing is overrated (yet is tested every day) and less testing means less cases.  

The whole Covid crisis in this country has been mismanaged by the government since day 1. There hasn't been any serious leadership in dealing with the pandemic. Our response to it has been more reactive than proactive.

CB
5.2.1  seeder  CB   replied to  Gordy327 @5.2    one month ago

And now, the administration has taken the approach to simply look the other way while this virus 'marauder' slices and eats its way through the country. Trump conservatives are a special breed within the conservative party. Silently, with little fanfare, Trump and his enablers (supporters) have started a death march on the citizenry.

We all should be outraged. We should all cry foul!  President Trump won't even let Vice-president Pence properly direct the pandemic and Vice-President Pence won't let The CDC conduct press or media briefings. All are missing in action (MIA).

The cause deliberate leadership negligence carried out with malice of intent. The effect citizens are facing sickness (long-term ailments due to the virus attacking numerous vital organs), dying, and death.

Gordy327
5.2.2  Gordy327  replied to  CB @5.2.1    one month ago
And now, the administration has taken the approach to simply look the other way while this virus 'marauder' slices and eats its way through the country. 

That seems to go along with how the government has responded or dealt with this pandemic thus far.

Trump conservatives are a special breed within the conservative party. Silently, with little fanfare, Trump and his enablers (supporters) have started a death march on the cit

A bit melodramatic there CB.

President Trump won't even let Vice-president Pence properly direct the pandemic and Vice-President Pence won't let The CDC conduct press or media briefings. All are missing in action (MIA). 

VP Pence was never qualified to actually run a Covid Task force. I've said before that perhaps an actual scientist should do that as well as give briefings on the virus and preventative measures, rather than a politician with little to no knowledge on the subject. 

CB
5.2.3  seeder  CB   replied to  Gordy327 @5.2.2    one month ago

I'll agree with that! Moreover there are other republicans and conservatives who do not agree with the confirmation bias shared between Trump and his supporters. Additionally, Trump and his supporters are in agreement that we should ignore (be silent) this virus and let it purge the citizenry until 'herd immunity' is a reality. I stand by this through watching the actions of the man and the statements of his 'enablers.'

FLYNAVY1
5.2.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  CB @5.2.3    one month ago

At this point, given that there is no leadership..... herd immunity is all we are going to have left to hope for.

It's summer which is suppose to give us a reprieve from the virus, but hospitalizations keep rising in a bunch of states, and the death toll looks to be keeping pace.

Tessylo
5.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.2.4    one month ago

We have no leader.

igknorantzrulz
5.2.6  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.5    one month ago

yea, but he is the leader of non leaders,     who can't walk at times

Tessylo
5.2.7  Tessylo  replied to  igknorantzrulz @5.2.6    one month ago

Or pick up a glass of water.  

igknorantzrulz
5.2.8  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Tessylo @5.2.7    one month ago

he pays $130,000 per that Tall Glass of Water, that he can't pick up by himself, cause he's half asz full of it, but yellower, as his defenseless defenders display denial all the while, Trump a tempts to grab em' buy the pussy, he has two, Melania and U know who

Gordy327
5.2.9  Gordy327  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.2.4    one month ago

Herd immunity is only effective if enough people have an immunity to the virus. Without a vaccine yet, natural herd immunity may take time and allow the virus to mutate, which can negate any currently developed immunity. As we see in states with spikes in covid cases, we are nowhere near herd immunity and more people will become infected & possibly die from the virus.

igknorantzrulz
5.2.10  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Gordy327 @5.2.9    one month ago

part of the problem is Trump herd immunity to FACTS, as it just is a

CB
5.2.11  seeder  CB   replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5.2.4    4 weeks ago

And the unremarkable republican in the White House is joined by unremarkable republicans in the House and Senate and they are joined by unremarkable Trump supporters in the millions in not discussing the virus that is ravaging the citizens of this country. This "rugged individualist" crap flew in the early years, but this is the twenty-first century. We know how to save lives, and we need leaders who do try.

Trump is a chump. He can't intimidate, mock, or even explain away this killer, so he deludes himself into thinking that it can be ignored—by Trump supporters at least! What a cowardly creature masquerading as a 'god'!

CB
5.2.12  seeder  CB   replied to  Gordy327 @5.2.9    4 weeks ago

Thank you for sharing this. We are leaderless. The scientists have an insufficiency of outlets to inform the public because our self-interested REPUBLICAN president has deluded himself into acting to punish us all for laughing at him by abandoning and removing the Coronavirus Task Force from public sight. As far as I can tell, Trump is not even mentioning the virus unless asked of him by others.

And Trump surrogates! They come on here and try to persuade us that we do not understand what we see and know.

Pedro
6  Pedro    one month ago

CB
6.1  seeder  CB   replied to  Pedro @6    one month ago

Now that's so deep meaning there! (Chuckles.)

igknorantzrulz
6.2  igknorantzrulz  replied to  Pedro @6    one month ago

Choice post

CB
7  seeder  CB     one month ago

Incidentally, pictured above to Donald Trump's right is a Trinity Broadcasting Network resident pastor. No social distancing. No mask. Did he get one of those questionable 15 minutes coronavirus test the Trump administration considers golden? Will he be placing himself under quarantine for the upcoming church services and through Father's day?

As we can all imagine, even Trump 'spits' large and small droplets when he breathes and speaks.

igknorantzrulz
7.1  igknorantzrulz  replied to  CB @7    one month ago

that's a lot for his defenders to not swallow, cause, they'll swallow ANYTHING

cjcold
7.1.1  cjcold  replied to  igknorantzrulz @7.1    4 weeks ago

They always have had a fixation with stuff being rammed down their throats.