╌>

When Reporter Asks Trump About His Empathy For Racial Issues, Trump Repeatedly Changes The Subject

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  30 comments

When Reporter Asks Trump About His Empathy For Racial Issues, Trump Repeatedly Changes The Subject
I want to begin by talking about race relations. Do you think that you should be even more empathetic? ------------- Well, I think what happened and you see it better than maybe anybody, frankly, is that we were doing phenomenally well, the economy was great, jobs were great, best unemployment rates we've ever had for African American, for Hispanic, for Asian, for women, for everybody, and it was great.

Donald Trump was interviewed yesterday by a pro Trump news outlet, Sinclair Broadcasting. The interviewer repeatedly tries to get Trump to express empathy for victims of racism, but Trump would rather talk about China. 

-

From a transcript of President Trump's interview with Sinclair Broadcasting , June 17 2020

Scott Thuman (Sinclair)  :  I want to begin by talking about race relations. A nd I'm curious, in the wake of the death of George Floyd, and then, of course, Raychard Brooks. Some people worry that the tensions and situation are actually getting worse than better, and in a time of crisis, people traditionally look to a President to set the tone.  Do you think that you should be even more empathetic? And if you combine that with your executive order, that would help more to unify the country?

President Trump : Well, I think what happened and you see it better than maybe anybody, frankly, is that we were doing phenomenally well, the economy was great, jobs were great, best unemployment rates we've ever had for African American, for Hispanic, for Asian, for women, for everybody, and it was great. And then, we got hit with the Chinese virus and it was a whole different thing. We had to close down and we had to say, now we're starting all over again. We're doing very well with COVID or whatever you want to call it. It's got many different names but the disease that came over from China, and now, we have to start again, and we are starting again. We had tremendous numbers yesterday. We had tremendous job numbers two weeks ago. And I think really if you go back three months to where, you know, just before we closed it, African-American job numbers were the best that we've had ever in the history of our country. I passed criminal justice reform, which nobody could get, President Obama couldn't get it. I don't know if he tried to get it, but he certainly didn't get it or it didn't come close. Opportunities Zones, historically black colleges and universities. I got them funded for a long term --

Scott Thuman : Do you think you need to sound more empathetic?

President Trump : Well, I think what I have to do is get jobs back. I mean, if you want to know the truth, I do.   I am empathetic. I met with some of the greatest people yesterday. Parents of -- of young men and women who were, in some cases, accidentally and other cases, who knows about accidents, right? But, children that were killed and it was a very sad thing. No, I -- I feel tremendous sorrow and loss. At the same time, I have to get the economy going again and I'll do that. It's already happening because when I get people's jobs back and I believe next year will be actually better than ever before.

Scott Thuman : Yeah. Because the -- is there one thing -- tell me one thing that you would do differently, personally on handling the race relations issues right now that everyone's so worried about.

President Trump :  So, I think that tone is a very important thing and I try and have a very good tone, a very moderate tone, a very, sympathetic in some cases tone, but it's very important tone. I'm -- at the same time, fighting as hard as anybody can fight against China, against the European Union who are ripping us left and right.

Scott Thuman : But tone is one thing you would change ? 

President Trump : I would say that if I could, I would do tone. But you have to understand, I need a different tone. I'm going from different tone to different tone. I'm fighting China and I'm fighting -- because China has been ripping off our country for 25 years, and we're doing great on that.   But I have to say that, probably, if I could do anything, if I could have the time, if I had an extra 10 hours or 20 hours in a day, I would love to say tone. Yes.

https://factba.se/transcript/donald-trump-interview-sinclair-media-group-scott-thuman-june-17-2020

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Trump does love his white deplorables after all. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago

I don't think he should be empathetic at all for criminals, and those who riot and loot, caring not for innocent people who are caught up in the fray.

His tone is proper for the times and the sorry state the world is in right now, which is not his fault and beyond his control.

ALL LIVES MATTER

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @1.1    4 years ago

The interview speaks for itself . The interviewer asks Trump to show empathy for victims of racism and Trump replies by immediately talking about the economy. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    4 years ago

A good economy is very good for the victims of racism. But who do you consider victims?

Punk criminals who challenge and fight cops who are trying to do their appointed jobs...

or the hundreds of innocent people of all races and ages who have been hurt or killed,

or had their places of business trashed by violent gangs of rioting thugs.

Trump has been more than empathetic to the plight of the innocent victims of violence,

while the powers that be on the left have stood idly by.

Vic Eldred
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Vic Eldred  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    4 years ago
The interview speaks for itself .

The interview?  Why John, have you forgotten the President's initial reaction as soon as he found out about the death of Floyd?  You wouldn't forget that, would you?   

Here John:

He called it “very sad and tragic” and asked the F.B.I. and Justice Department to investigate it..

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    4 years ago

He can't talk about empathy because he has none, for anyone except himself.

Citizen Kane-473667
Professor Participates
2  Citizen Kane-473667    4 years ago

Sure...this is all for the Deplorables:

I passed criminal justice reform, which nobody could get, President Obama couldn't get it. I don't know if he tried to get it, but he certainly didn't get it or it didn't come close. Opportunities Zones, historically black colleges and universities. I got them funded for a long term --

I am empathetic.

I met with some of the greatest people yesterday. Parents of -- of young men and women who were, in some cases, accidentally and other cases, who knows about accidents, right? But, children that were killed and it was a very sad thing.

No, I -- I feel tremendous sorrow and loss.

So, I think that tone is a very important thing and I try and have a very good tone, a very moderate tone, a very, sympathetic in some cases tone, but it's very important tone.

I would say that if I could, I would do tone. But you have to understand, I need a different tone. I'm going from different tone to different tone.

if I could have the time, if I had an extra 10 hours or 20 hours in a day, I would love to say tone. Yes.

Let's see...Pandemic, Riots, Economy, Re-Election, China Trade, Unemployment, Deficit, Lawsuits, Investigations, , Protestors taking over municipal buildings and city blocks, cops quitting, war in the Middle East, and not to mention all that Tweeting he does.  It isn't like there are anything else he should be focusing on other than his empathy tone for those who are burning down businesses and rioting in the streets because a small percentage of cops are killing people they shouldn't. He should spend 24/7/365 crying over the very few innocent lives lost to bad cops and allow the rest of the problems affecting 300+ million people and the entire world to be put on Ignore.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @2    4 years ago

The interviewer said 

I want to begin by talking about race relations.

and Trump answered

Well, I think what happened and you see it better than maybe anybody, frankly, is that we were doing phenomenally well, the economy was great, jobs were great, best unemployment rates we've ever had for African American, for Hispanic, for Asian, for women, for everybody, and it was great. And then, we got hit with the Chinese virus and it was a whole different thing. 

that is the fact of the matter

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.1.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2.1    4 years ago

Who cares...and so what?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.1.2  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Greg Jones @2.1.1    4 years ago

Deplorables only care about kissing his ass.  We already know that. No need to reinforce the perception. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @2    4 years ago

If Trump would have focused on any one of those items that impacted Americans you might have a leg to stand on, but putting his re-election above everything else is pretty telling.  

But of course..... let America burn..... Lets have a Trump Rally...!

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.2.1  Greg Jones  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.2    4 years ago

It's the Dems who are allowing and encouraging their punk supporters to burn, pillage, and loot. Toss in a few murders of innocent people to boot.  

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.2.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Greg Jones @2.2.1    4 years ago

And these are your fellow Trump supporters...

Two men linked to 'boogaloo' movement charged in U.S. courthouse guard killing

The boogaloo movement, adherents to which are often referred to as boogaloo boys or boogaloo bois, is a  loosely organized American far-right extremist movement . Participants generally identify as a libertarian citizen-militia, and say they are preparing for a second American Civil War, which they call the "boogaloo".

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.3  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @2.2.2    4 years ago

Aren't posts about that "movement"  taboo since a few weeks ago. Even though it is a news story about them getting charged. I'm probably wrong though.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.2.5  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @2.2.3    4 years ago

Don't know either.... If you've got some sort of link on that, you might consider seeding it on NT as a public service announcement...

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.2.6  FLYNAVY1  replied to    4 years ago

Feel free to make corrections to the Boogaloo movement on Wikipedia, as that is the definition given.....

Please go set them straight so we can all share in the learning process. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @2    4 years ago

Scott Thuman (Sinclair)  :  I want to begin by talking about race relations. A nd I'm curious, in the wake of the death of George Floyd, and then, of course, Raychard Brooks. Some people worry that the tensions and situation are actually getting worse than better, and in a time of crisis, people traditionally look to a President to set the tone.  Do you think that you should be even more empathetic? And if you combine that with your executive order, that would help more to unify the country?

Scott Thuman : Do you think you need to sound more empathetic?

Scott Thuman : Yeah. Because the -- is there one thing -- tell me one thing that you would do differently, personally on handling the race relations issues right now that everyone's so worried about.

Scott Thuman : But tone is one thing you would change ? 

Every single time, the reporter tried to get Trump back to his question about empathy for victims of racism. He saw Trump was not answering the question. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
2.3.1  Greg Jones  replied to  JohnRussell @2.3    4 years ago

You've stated all this before. What's the point.

The left ignores anything he says anyway, so Trump won't fall into the reporters intended "gotcha" tray.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Citizen Kane-473667 @2    4 years ago

Trump has all of the empathy of a child pulling the wings off of flies.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    4 years ago

103830940_3117535354955924_7490493776757805304_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=9z_Zzy6UcicAX8LNP3E&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=b28ec7a77a64017abd0f110111cc44be&oe=5F131058