╌>

New York Gov. Cuomo Floats Quarantine for People Entering N.Y. From Florida

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  4 years ago  •  54 comments

By:   Bloomberg Financial News

New York Gov. Cuomo Floats Quarantine for People Entering N.Y. From Florida
Covid-19 cases have been climbing in Florida and several other U.S. states, while New York is on the decline.

Related:

The number of cases have climbed by nearly 300% since May 1

While early hot spots, including New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, are showing clear progress in containing the spread of the illness . . . other states, including Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Louisiana, North Carolina, Nevada, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah are all seeing increases in infections.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

“Who would believe this 180 turnaround?” Cuomo said at a news conference in Albany. (Source: Bloomberg News)

New York Governor   said he is considering requiring people who visit from Florida to quarantine for 14 days.

Covid-19 cases have been climbing in Florida and several other U.S. states, while New York is on the decline. In March, when New York cases were surging, Florida Governor   ordered self-quarantines of visiting New Yorkers.

Now, the tables may turn.

“I have experts who have advised me to do that,” Cuomo said. “I’m considering it now.”

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

New York Governor   said he is considering requiring people who visit from Florida to quarantine for 14 days. Covid-19 cases have been climbing in Florida and several other U.S. states, while New York is on the decline. 

Dismayed Patriot
Professor Quiet
1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Krishna @1    4 years ago

I think even without the threat from Covid this might be a good idea for all States...

Here's some Florida headlines that prove this:

"FLORIDA MAN AWARDED $37,500 AFTER COPS MISTAKE GLAZED DONUT CRUMBS FOR METH"

"TITUSVILLE GRANDMOTHER POPS OUT TEETH TO SCARE NUDE MAN OFF BACK PORCH"

"VACATIONERS FIND ALIGATOR LOUNGING ON ALIGATOR POOL FLOAT AT THEIR MIAMI AIRBNB"

"HALF NAKED FLORIDA MAN SMEARS THINGS SWEET AND FECAL IN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, COPS SAY"

"FLORIDA MAN ACCUSED OF FIRING PEE-FILLED SQUIRT GUN AT WOMAN"

"FLORIDA MAN CALLS 911 TO SAY "ROOMATE STOLE MY WEED"

"FLORIDA MAN LEADS POLICE ON SLOW SPEED CHASE IN CANOE, "THE POND IS SURROUNDED!"

"FLORIDA WOMAN THREATENS HAIR SALON WITH MACHETTE, POOPS IN PATROL CAR, DEPUTIES SAY"

Kavika
Professor Principal
2  Kavika     4 years ago

Yup, Florida cases of COVID19 are climbing. 

Turn about is fair play.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @2    4 years ago
Yup, Florida cases of COVID19 are climbing.  Turn about is fair play.

Ironic, isn't it? 

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
2.2  JaneDoe  replied to  Kavika @2    4 years ago

My neighbors here in Florida are snowbirds from NY. They have decided to stay here this year instead of returning home.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

“I have experts who have advised me to do that,” Cuomo said. “I’m considering it now.”

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

Efforts to reach the DeSantis administration for comment weren’t immediately successful.

LOL!!! jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
4.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Krishna @4    4 years ago

Efforts to reach the DeSantis administration for comment weren’t immediately successful.

DeSantis couldn't hear the phone ring as he had his head up Trumps ass......

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
5  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

If Trump can do it for people from China, why can't Cuomo use it for NY?

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
6  Just Jim NC TttH    4 years ago

I remember not too long ago I think it was Virginia that was stopping people with New York plates to ask them where they were going and why at the beginning of the massive infections in that state. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Just Jim NC TttH @6    4 years ago

Yes, pretty amazing how NY turned it around-- while some of these other states haven't.

So what's the difference?

Simple-- after the initial cases, New York State acted quickly to take measures (that proved to be very effective): shut-downs, social distancing, wearing of masks.  But these other states, where cases are escalating rapidly, haven't! jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @6.1    4 years ago
Simple-- after the initial cases, New York State acted quickly to take measures (that proved to be very effective): shut-downs, social distancing, wearing of masks.  But these other states, where cases are escalating rapidly, haven't!

Well, that and they already killed off a bunch more of their high risk constituents.

Around 20 thousand last i looked .....

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @6.1    4 years ago
So what's the difference? Simple-- after the initial cases, New York State acted quickly to take measures (that proved to be very effective): shut-downs, social distancing, wearing of masks.  But these other states, where cases are escalating rapidly, haven't!

It's really a difference between acting out of practicality-- or the stupidity of acting out of "political correctness". To cite one of the most extreme cases of political stupidity by Trump worshippers:

Kayleigh McEnany Dismisses Tulsa Rally Concerns: ‘That’s Part Of Life’

McEnany explained that “certain measures” will be implemented including temperate checks, hand sanitizer, and masks, but did confirm that supporters will not be required to wear those masks during the indoor rally.

“They will be given a mask,” she said. “It’s up to them whether to make that decision.” 

And other effective measures-- such as social distancing? A convention in an enclosed area, with people in extremely close contact?

Well DUH!!!

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.1    4 years ago
Well, that and they already killed off a bunch more of their high risk constituents.

Have you read the actual article?

Covid-19 cases have been climbing in Florida and several other U.S. states, while New York is on the decline.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.4  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @6.1.3    4 years ago

Yes i have and like i said, they have 30,000 less high risk patients to kill off.   About 27,000 deaths more than Florida.

Cuomo has no high ground here .... not after how he sacrificed the elderly in his NY nursing homes.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  Sparty On @6.1.1    4 years ago

New York and Florida are similarly sized states,  but 31,000 New Yonkers have died, while 3,000 Floridians,  10x the rate , in-part because Cuomo's pushed covid infected patients into nursing homes, while  a sane governor like DeSantis protected Florida's nursing home residents.   Cuomo's murderous order  led to a death rate 6X higher among nursing home residents  in New York then in  Florida.  Twice as many people died just in New York nursing homes than have died in the entire state of Florida. 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  Krishna @6.1.2    4 years ago
York State acted quickly to take measures (that proved to be very effective): shut-downs, social distancing, wearing of masks.  But these other states, where cases are escalating rapidly, haven't!

Do you know what very effective means?

30,000 deaths........ Up is down in your world.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
6.1.7  Sparty On  replied to  Sean Treacy @6.1.5    4 years ago

Yep, we posted it at the same time.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
6.1.9  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Krishna @6.1.2    4 years ago

When this bitch gets thrown under the bus or can't find a job after her sugar daddy is gone, that is life...oh well.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
6.1.11  Sean Treacy  replied to    4 years ago

Even ProPublica torches Cuomo for his insanity.

But the partisan hacks will continue to blame DeSantis and shill for Cuomo because that's what partisan hacks do. Reality will never gain a foothold in their minds.

Imagine shilling for a  governor being so stupid as to not instinctively realize what epidemiologist Charles Branas had to spell out:

"If you introduce 4,500 people sick with a potentially lethal disease into a vulnerable and notoriously imperfectly monitored population, people are apt to die.”

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7  Sparty On    4 years ago

You will need to show your papers to get into NYC so just head for CHOP instead.

You can get your freak on there no problem.   You just have to dodge used needles, human excrement and the crazed homeless dude talking to himself.

But no papers required .....

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Sparty On @7    4 years ago
You will need to show your papers to get into NYC

Given the attitude of Dear Leader (who himself doesn't even wear a mask) . . .and continually downplays the seriousness off the pandemic, as well as Trumps bottlickers . . . that sounds like a great idea!

Sparty On
Professor Principal
7.1.1  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @7.1    4 years ago

And Trump is the tyrant?

Hilarious!

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
7.2  JaneDoe  replied to  Sparty On @7    4 years ago

From the article.

Cuomo threatened to sue Rhode Island if it continues to seek out New Yorkers entering its borders.

I guess he likes the idea now.

JaneDoe
Sophomore Silent
7.2.2  JaneDoe  replied to  dennis smith @7.2.1    4 years ago

I liked DeSantis reply to him.

“I would just ask if that’s done just please do not quarantine any Floridians in the nursing homes in New York,” DeSantis quipped

Kavika
Professor Principal
9  Kavika     4 years ago

Florida set a new record for COVID19 cases today, 3207 confirmed cases. Florida seems to be setting a new record on a regular basis. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
10  Tessylo    4 years ago

103830940_3117535354955924_7490493776757805304_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=dbeb18&_nc_ohc=9z_Zzy6UcicAX8LNP3E&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&_nc_tp=6&oh=b28ec7a77a64017abd0f110111cc44be&oe=5F131058

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11  Tacos!    4 years ago

That's pretty ballsy. I mean other states didn't put New Yorkers, specifically, in quarantine these past three months, but sure, whatever.

He's essentially closing his borders, but it seems like if he really thought closing the border was a good idea (constitutionality notwithstanding), then he should be closing them to all states and countries unless they can prove zero cases of the virus. Why pick on Florida, only?

I think Hawaii has been putting every new arrival in quarantine. If you're going to do it, really mean it.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.1  Kavika   replied to  Tacos! @11    4 years ago
That's pretty ballsy. I mean other states didn't put New Yorkers, specifically, in quarantine these past three months, but sure, whatever.

Wrong, DeSantis ordered that all people coming in from NY self quartine for 14 days.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11.1.1  Tacos!  replied to  Kavika @11.1    4 years ago

Oh, so it's payback then? Revenge? Very mature.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Tacos! @11.1.1    4 years ago

I don't know what it is but I would suspect that since the cases in Florida are skyrocketing he doesn't want more cases in NY.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11.1.3  Tacos!  replied to  Kavika @11.1.2    4 years ago

Then he should quarantine people coming from Arizona, California, Texas, New Jersey, pretty much anywhere.

In the beginning, NY was like this (somewhat) lone hotbed of crazy pandemic breakout, so I get why people from there might have been quarantined. I don't know enough to say if the governor of Florida was just being a dick. That's possible, of course.

At this point, though, it seems moot because it's everywhere. However, if a town, county or state wanted to get really serious about this, they would shut down all traffic in and out except for from places free of the disease. I just doubt that's economically viable for most places.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Tacos! @11.1.3    4 years ago

It's quite possible that there is more traffic between Florida and NY than any of the other states with the exception of NJ. 

Many people from NY and the other NE states have second homes in Florida.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11.1.5  Tacos!  replied to  Kavika @11.1.4    4 years ago

I think it would be more useful to just keep pushing the social distancing and the masks and all of that. I think we're kind of beyond quarantining people, much less whole states.

Kavika
Professor Principal
11.1.6  Kavika   replied to  Tacos! @11.1.5    4 years ago
I think it would be more useful to just keep pushing the social distancing and the masks and all of that.

I tend to agree with that. The mayor of Orlando just required that face masks are now mandatory. Orlando has seen a large uptick over the past couple of weeks. 

In fact, Florida in general has seen a large uptick in new cases. Today set another new record of 3207 confirmed cases. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11.1.7  Tacos!  replied to  Kavika @11.1.6    4 years ago
The mayor of Orlando just required that face masks are now mandatory.

Today, the governor of California made it mandatory for everyone in the state (with minor exceptions) to wear masks any time they go anywhere. I don't even know how you enforce that. Arrest people?

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.1.8  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tacos! @11.1.7    4 years ago

Not arrest, but most likely tickets.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
11.1.9  Tacos!  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @11.1.8    4 years ago

Yeah, but who wants to write that ticket? Like people don't hate cops enough already. 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
11.1.10  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tacos! @11.1.9    4 years ago

Most likely, a group of trained civilians would be issuing them.  Just as we have Parking Enforcement personnel, it would be Mask Compliance personnel.

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
11.1.11  Ronin2  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @11.1.10    4 years ago
Most likely, a group of trained civilians would be issuing them.

Their required uniform will be a target on the front, back, over the heart area, and a smaller target on a baseball cap. They need to make sure those they anger don't miss. I am sure you have read how those who try to enforce wearing masks when entering stores have fared?

Just as we have Parking Enforcement personnel, it would be Mask Compliance personnel.

Parking Enforcement personnel will be thrilled- there will be someone more hated, and better targets, than they are.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
11.1.12  Sparty On  replied to  Ronin2 @11.1.11    4 years ago

Nah, uniform of the day.    

Brown shirt, dark jodhpurs, jackboots, Sam brown belt, chop arm band and holier than thou verbal baton.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
12  It Is ME    4 years ago

Cuomo let his "Sick" people "GO" !

Now he's worried about letting them back in ?

Sparty On
Professor Principal
12.1  Sparty On  replied to  It Is ME @12    4 years ago

China let their sick people go

Cuomo did to

Turk 182

It Is ME
Masters Guide
12.1.1  It Is ME  replied to  Sparty On @12.1    4 years ago
Turk 182

Cuomo Knew !

bugsy
Professor Participates
12.2  bugsy  replied to  It Is ME @12    4 years ago

Exactly. There are hundreds of thousands of New Yorkers that come to south Florida during the summer to visit friends and family, and also to go to the theme parks. Many of them that came down i the beginning of the pandemic never went back and have decided to stay here indefinitely. Most of them will be staying with family in south Florida for the time being.

The vast majority of new cases are coming out of south Florida, specifically the Miami area, where there is a very large population of New York and New Jersey expatriates.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
12.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  bugsy @12.2    4 years ago

It's the "Old Folks Home" debacle all over again. jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif