╌>

North Korea threatens to pour 'leaflets of punishment' over South Korea

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  18 comments

By:   Stella Kim and Adela Suliman

North Korea threatens to pour 'leaflets of punishment' over South Korea
North Korea said it would pour leaflets of punishment over South Korea, in a sign of its increasing displeasure with its neighbor, state media reported.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

As tensions ratchet up between the two nations, North Korea is preparing to flood the South with "mountain-high" piles of propaganda leaflets denouncing the South Korean president and North Korean defectors, state media in the country reported Saturday.

Many of the leaflets will feature the face of South Korean President Moon Jae-in smeared with cigarette butts, an insult insinuating he is trash, the KCNA news agency reported, adding that they were being prepared by university students from the North.

Although North Korea has distributed propaganda leaflets across the border in the past, the practice is more commonly undertaken by North Korean defector groups in the South who fly balloons or send bottles by river filled with flyers, rice and money.

"The enraged people across the country are actively pushing forward with the preparations for launching a large-scale distribution of leaflets to pour the leaflets of punishment upon those in South Korea," KCNA, which is known for its bombastic tone, reported.

Let our news meet your inbox. The news and stories that matters, delivered weekday mornings. Sign Up

"Every action should be met with proper reaction and only when one experiences it oneself, one can feel how offending it is ... the South Korean authorities will face a really horrible time."

The move comes amid a serious escalation in tensions between the countries, which are still technically at war as their 1950-53 conflict ended without a peace treaty.

Last week Kim Yo Jong, a trusted aide to her brother, Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un, threatened military action against South Korea. Then on Tuesday, Pyongyang demolished an inter-Korean liaison office, set up in a border town in 2018 to foster better ties with the South.

Earlier this month, the North also announced it was suspending communication lines with the South, a move analysts believe is the start of an attempt to manufacture a crisis and force concessions from its neighbor.

The secretive communist nation also said it was pulling away from its relationship with the United States, claiming there had been no actual improvement in ties since the historic handshake between Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un in Singapore two years ago.

Kim Yo Jong, right, sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, helps Kim sign joint statement.Pyongyang Press Corps Pool / AP file

South Korea's Unification Ministry said in a statement Saturday that it was "extremely regrettable that North Korea has disclosed through media about the plan to disseminate propaganda leaflets to South Korea."

Demanding that their neighbor "stop the plan immediately," the Ministry said it did "not help in establishing peace on the Korean peninsula and in the development of inter-Korean relations."

Seoul also said it would "sternly" deal with any people or organizations in the South sending leaflets to the North.

Stella Kim

Stella Kim is an NBC News freelance producer based in Seoul.

adela-suliman-byline_468ef9e3cf4ccc1bb037337798818103.focal-100x100.jpg Adela Suliman

Adela Suliman is a London-based writer and reporter for NBC News Digital.

Yuliya Talmazan contributed.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

What a perfect example of one-sided biased news reporting.  There is scant mention in the report that what NK is doing is in retaliation for the South Koreans' unrelenting sending of balloons laden with bundles of propaganda leaflets into North Korea.  I am not at all a supporter of North Korea, but I don't blame it for retaliating.  Here is a photo of what the South Koreans have been doing:

t1larg.korea.air.afp.gi.jpg

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    4 years ago

I've since read that they've been bombarding each other with leaflets for years. 

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
1.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    4 years ago
I am not at all a supporter of North Korea, but I don't blame it for retaliating. 
Perhaps not, but to a reasonable person, being an apologist for their actions would seem to amount to being supportive of them....
yet another repressive and evil authoritarian communist regime. .

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @1.2    4 years ago

Wow. Using your interpretation of not blaming means supporting?  The fact that I don't blame the protesters for marching through America's streets does not mean I support them, especially since I do NOT support BLM because IT supports BDS.  As I said, I am not at all a supporter of North Korea, no matter how you want to reinterpret and twist my comment to suit yourself. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.2.2  Thrawn 31  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.1    4 years ago

Okay, what is BDS? That is a new one to me.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.2.2    4 years ago

Boycott, Divest, Sanction:

BDS markets itself as a non-violent movement to boycott, divest from, and sanction Israel to get it to withdraw to its pre-1967 borders. While many rank and file members of the movement sincerely want peace and are lured in by this human rights façade, BDS leadership in fact seeks nothing less than the elimination of Israel as a Jewish state.

BLM has endorsed BDS.  It would be wiser to stick to its own business, and not make enemies by endorsing causes that are terrorism-friendly. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.2.4  Thrawn 31  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.3    4 years ago

Ohhhh okay, I know the deal just hadn't seen the acronym.

I am personally on record as just wishing the entire area would sink into the ocean so we can all be done with the Judeo/Christian/Islamic nonsense about a "holy land". That plot of land is a fucking dump anyways. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Thrawn 31 @1.2.4    4 years ago

LOL. I assume you've never been there. 

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
1.2.6  Thrawn 31  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.2.5    4 years ago

Nope and never wanna go. As many problems as that place has caused, fuck it, Sink it and be done with it for everyone. 

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
1.3  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    4 years ago

nk will have to wait for the wind to change directions.... LOL

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.3.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @1.3    4 years ago

Not necessarily.  They could release balloons from ships sailing around the south-west coast of SK to take advantage of the prevailing winds.  

Split Personality
Professor Guide
1.4  Split Personality  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1    4 years ago

They over demolished a four story building in their territory because of pamphlets?

Funniest thing is that that the blast knocked the whole front wall off of a 15 story "office building" several blocks away.

and not one "office" had any furnishings...only in NK.

Most of the neighboring building were destroyed as well....SMH

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Split Personality @1.4    4 years ago

Yeah, talk about "overkill".  NK really "blew" it.  LOL

Freefaller
Professor Quiet
2  Freefaller    4 years ago

Lol oh no not leaflets of punishment, anything but that it's just too cruel.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3  Ed-NavDoc    4 years ago

That's okay, I'm sure the South can use them as toilet paper...

Split Personality
Professor Guide
3.1  Split Personality  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @3    4 years ago

Maybe that's what the punishment is..,

the paper is laced with pepper or worse, LMAO

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.1.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Split Personality @3.1    4 years ago

jrSmiley_40_smiley_image.gif

Thrawn 31
Professor Guide
4  Thrawn 31    4 years ago

Hold on, aren't Trump and Kim gay lovers? Are they fighting?