The Oldest Hatred Rears Its Head

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  suz  •  2 weeks ago  •  39 comments

By:   Washington Free Beacon Editors

The Oldest Hatred Rears Its Head
We chalk up the incidents to the progressive elite's selective blindness towards anti-Semitism.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

June 20, 2020

It's been more than two days now since the New York Times opinion page, policed closely by the paper's readers and employees for evidence of bigotry, published an op-ed that approvingly cites the black anti-Semitism explained away in a 50-year-old essay by the writer James Baldwin.

We've been waiting for the reference to spark some sort of backlash and outcry from the paper’s reporters, for the Twitter hashtag decrying the insensitivity, for the internal finger pointing about who dropped the ball and allowed the publication of a piece that could make American Jews feel so unsafe.

Are you surprised to hear it never came?

The piece, by Brooklyn College professor Moustafa Bayoumi, asked why a Minnesota convenience store called the police on George Floyd. Midway through, Bayoumi casually invoked the historical tensions between blacks and Jews.

"In Harlem in the 1960s, most such stores were Jewish-owned," Bayoumi writes, offering as evidence James Baldwin’s 1967 essay, also published in the Times , titled "Negroes Are Anti-Semitic Because They're Anti-White." In that essay, Baldwin writes, "It is bitter to watch the Jewish storekeeper locking up his store for the night, and going home."

"Today, many of these stores in major cities around the country are run by Arab-American and South-Asian-American merchants," Bayoumi writes, "but the justifiable resentments remain the same."

The argument: The resentment of Jews was justifiable then and the sordid legacy persists. "In the American context," Baldwin wrote, "the most ironical thing about Negro anti-Semitism is that the Negro is really condemning the Jew for having become an American white man—for having become, in effect, a Christian. The Jew profits from his status in America, and he must expect Negroes to distrust him for it. The Jew does not realize that the credential he offers, the fact that he has been despised and slaughtered, does not increase the Negro's understanding. It increases the Negro's rage."

And while Jews no longer own many of the corner stores about which Bayoumi and Baldwin wrote, anti-Semitism among African Americans persists. A 2013 survey conducted by the Anti-Defamation League, the most recent that tracked the views of African Americans, found that 12 percent of Americans—but  20 percent of African Americans—hold "strongly anti-Semitic views."

MSNBC's employees and viewers aren't any more concerned than the Times about offending Jewish sensibilities. There has been no public outcry since a seven-minute diatribe on Wednesday from Joe Scarborough, who—channeling his best Colonel Jessup —railed about the greed and malice of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and COO Sheryl Sandberg. Scarborough accused the pair, both Jews, of making "billions of dollars off of spreading lies."

"Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg are only interested in protecting their billions," Scarborough said.

There are only so many times in a single breath a person can accuse two executives with Jewish surnames of betraying their country for cash. But it was just a day's worth of commentary of the sort that, leveled against members of another ethnic group, would not be tolerated by the liberals who staff America's newsrooms.

"Not every criticism of individuals who may be Jewish constitutes anti-Semitism," Jack Rosen, president of the American Jewish Congress, told the Washington Free Beacon . "However, we have seen in recent years many instances in the media, on the left and on the right, in which Jews have been stereotypically portrayed, singularly targeted, and in a few cases outrightly demonized."

We chalk up the incidents to the progressive elite's selective blindness towards anti-Semitism. Look no further than Bill de Blasio's willingness to single out for condemnation a Jewish funeral. Or to the conduct of  educators at one of the city’s top progressive private schools, who begin sorting children into ethnic and racial "affinity groups" at an early age, but added one for Jewish students only after years of protest.

Baldwin justified black anti-Semitism even as he condemned it—a familiar pose to anybody who has observed the leaders of the Women's March and Democrats' response to Rep. Ilhan Omar (D., Minn.) in recent years. In the media, where heads now roll for failure to anticipate the impact of an argument on minority groups, anti-Semitism remains what it has always been: an enduring and acceptable hatred.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

Suz
1  seeder  Suz    2 weeks ago

My first seed!

Interesting read.

Heartland American
1.1  Heartland American  replied to  Suz @1    2 weeks ago

Congrats on your first seed!  A very good read and spot on.  [deleted]

Krishna
1.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Heartland American @1.1    2 weeks ago
Anti Semitic comments and behavior are well tolerated and allowed on the progressive left.  

But fortunately they are neither tolerated nor allowed on the fascist right!

Charlottesville Nazis Chant 'Jews Will Not Replace Us' Through Streets of #CVille 8/12/17

(Yes, in case anyone was wondering, my comment was sarcasm)

Krishna
1.1.2  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.1.1    2 weeks ago
Charlottesville Nazis Chant 'Jews Will Not Replace Us' Through Streets of #CVille 8/12/17

In the words of Dear Leader:

There are good people on both sides!

loki12
1.1.3  loki12  replied to  Krishna @1.1.2    2 weeks ago

[deleted]

Heartland American
1.1.4  Heartland American  replied to  loki12 @1.1.3    2 weeks ago

You are right on in your valuable comment.  Well said.  We all know that Trump specifically excluded white nationalists and the kkk from that comment and it is a willful and deliberate lie to say otherwise.  

loki12
1.1.5  loki12  replied to  loki12 @1.1.3    2 weeks ago

[Deleted]

loki12
1.1.6  loki12  replied to  Heartland American @1.1.4    2 weeks ago

And  biden included them in his, I am sure the publisher will remove this also.

Sean Treacy
1.1.7  Sean Treacy  replied to  Krishna @1.1.2    2 weeks ago

In the words of the soon to be Democratic nominee for President:

The United Daughters of the Confederacy, who actually built a memorial to the KKK, is an organization containing many fine people.

Tough look for Democrats, who purposefully misrepresented what Trump said, to turn around and support  a man who actually praised the people who built monuments to the KKK.

Heartland American
1.1.8  Heartland American  replied to  loki12 @1.1.5    2 weeks ago

[Deleted]

Krishna
1.1.9  Krishna  replied to  Heartland American @1.1.4    2 weeks ago

[Deleted]

Sean Treacy
1.1.10  Sean Treacy  replied to  Heartland American @1.1.4    2 weeks ago

[Deleted]

Krishna
1.1.11  Krishna  replied to  loki12 @1.1.5    2 weeks ago

[Deleted]

loki12
1.1.12  loki12  replied to  Krishna @1.1.11    2 weeks ago

[Deleted]  Is the worthless racist Biden who thinks the Klan are fine people a member?  

loki12
1.1.13  loki12  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.7    2 weeks ago

I said the exact same thing.....And yet SP feels mine is not on topic but Krishna anti-trump screed is? It's almost like they are controlling the content?

Heartland American
1.1.14  Heartland American  replied to  Krishna @1.1.9    2 weeks ago

I doubt the seeder flagged it off topic and getting a no value from some is actually a badge of honor.  

Heartland American
1.1.15  Heartland American  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.10    2 weeks ago

Exactly.  Whenever a conservative is censored for no value, it means a debate point was scored against progressives 

Heartland American
1.1.16  Heartland American  replied to  loki12 @1.1.13    2 weeks ago

[Deleted]

Heartland American
1.1.17  Heartland American  replied to  Sean Treacy @1.1.7    2 weeks ago

....We chalk up the incidents to the progressive elite's selective blindness towards anti-Semitism....in recent years. In the media, where heads now roll for failure to anticipate the impact of an argument on minority groups, anti-Semitism remains what it has always been: an enduring and acceptable hatred....         https://thenewstalkers.com/community/discussion/50689/the-oldest-hatred-rears-its-head#cm1341209

Krishna
1.2  Krishna  replied to  Suz @1    2 weeks ago
My first seed!

Congratulations! jrSmiley_2_smiley_image.png

Heartland American
1.3  Heartland American  replied to  Suz @1    2 weeks ago

It is interesting to note that the antisemitism that does exist among some progressives can’t be mentioned in the company of some.  The anti Israel and anti Jew sentiment among elements of the progressive left is well documented beginning with the women’s and lesbians marches despite Israel having had women at the highest levels of their government and Israel being one of the most pro gay rights nations on earth

Heartland American
1.4  Heartland American  replied to  Suz @1    2 weeks ago

It is interesting to note that it’s ok to say that anti Semitic acts and words exist on the right but it’s not ok to say the same about the progressive left?  

Buzz of the Orient
1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Suz @1    2 weeks ago

Good job, Suz. However, the oldest hatred has not JUST reared its head - it's never receded. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
2  Perrie Halpern R.A.    2 weeks ago

Congrats on your first seed Suz!

There is a very complex feeling among Jews when it comes to the current situation between the black community and BLM. While Jews do support the rights of black Americans to have equal rights, the BLM movement and group officers do promote antisemitic and anti-Israel views. Even within the Jewish community, there has been a lot of inter fighting about how to promote black equality, while not supporting BLM. 

I did take the time to watch the video in the article but I personally didn't find it anti-Semitic. Sometimes facts are facts, and these two individuals do own social media. I did find Joe Scarborough a bit hysterical, but other than that, not offensive. 

Suz
2.1  seeder  Suz  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    2 weeks ago

Thank you, Perrie.  I believe this is more of an opinion. 

I do agree with you that there has been a great deal of "inter fighting"  between people but you and I both know this isn't something that has just now come to light.  

Thank you, again. :-)

Krishna
2.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Suz @2.1    2 weeks ago
I do agree with you that there has been a great deal of "inter fighting"  between people but you and I both know this isn't something that has just now come to light.

I'm no expert om American history, but I do remember reading a few articles about the colonial era and the early days of the new American republic.

And yes-- there were times of great nastiness and anger re: "the other party".

It seems that sort of things ebbs and flows throughout our history. 

Buzz of the Orient
2.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2    2 weeks ago

As for the BLM movement, I think they would be wise to stick to their own business, because once they endorsed BDS I'm sure they lost many sympathizers, and for sure they lost me. 

I wonder if it's lost on the black people that they had the greatest support from the Jewish people during the civil rights movement.  Schwerner and Goodman were not Buddhists. 

Dismayed Patriot
3  Dismayed Patriot    2 weeks ago
"The argument: The resentment of Jews was justifiable then and the sordid legacy persists."

That's not the argument in the NY Times opinion piece at all.

The argument is that because larger commercial retailers don't want to operate in low income neighborhoods, often immigrant entrepreneurs fill that gap by being the middle-men. However, because of more aggressive policing in low income neighborhoods and the growing use of nuisance abatement laws can close down a business "where undesirable activity, legal or illegal, is taking place, even if the shopkeepers are unaware of the behavior".

"In 2016, an investigation by ProPublica and The Daily News revealed that the New York Police Department was targeting small, immigrant-run stores in low-income neighborhoods. The police and the courts would shut down the stores through nuisance abatement laws. When the owners would petition to reopen, they would be forced into accepting warrantless searches of their premises or even electronic surveillance of customers for the police."

What this sad FreeBeacon piece did was take one single paragraph with a quote from 50 years ago that was simply talking about a similar topic where Jewish store owners had become the middlemen between larger commercial businesses and the low income neighborhoods. Yet the way the conservative rag tells it we should all be up in a rage at the NYT for publishing an anti-Semitic screed or something, which of course the opinion piece is nothing of the sort. They turned a fairly benign opinion piece about immigrant business owners and the tough place they find themselves between the community and the police into some bizarre fantasy of "progressive elite's selective blindness towards anti-Semitism".

I guess they really are desperate to come up with anything that will help them this November, but they know that over 71% of American Jews vote Democrat because they're not stupid, they see very well which party actually supports them and has far more elected representatives in both the house and Senate that are Jewish. There are currently 9 Jewish Senators, 1 Independent (Bernie Sanders) and 8 Democrats. There are currently 27 Jewish House members, 25 Democrats and 2 Republicans. It's not a mystery why conservative Republicans are trying to make up some "hidden anti-Semitism" piece like this to distract from the videos of conservative Republicans marching in the street with confederate flags and swastikas side by side chanting "Jews will not replace us!" or those showing up recently at their State houses with assault rifles and the same confederate flags and swastika flags flying high as they demanded their States reopen. It's obviously not a good look which is why every time we see them the conservative Republican machine shouts "Look Over There! Squirrel!! Anti-Semitic coastal elite progressive Squirrel!!". Anyone with more than half a brain won't be fooled by this but sadly the conservative Republican base just eat it up and the author knows their readers aren't actually going to read the NYT opinion piece for themselves so they'll never know they've been lied to.

The NYT article ends with:

"Nonblack Muslims have a lot of anti-racist work to do. And even if our current system of policing didn’t use crime and crime prevention as a way to pit stores and customers against one another, nonblack Muslims would still find ways to buy into anti-blackness. Racism isn’t limited to store owners, after all. The death of George Floyd ought to show nonblack Muslim Americans two important things. As Americans, we must strive for better public safety for everyone. And as Muslims, we must find better versions of ourselves."

But apparently the "Free(Lies)Beacon" see's that as anti-Semitism rearing it's ugly head.

Krishna
3.1  Krishna  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3    2 weeks ago

What you mentioned as Black resentment against local store owners seems to be a recurring themes in our history. And usually the owners of small local businesses are non-Black immigrant groups.

I remember a while back reading about an increase in anti-Semitism amongst black residents in Harlem against Jewish store owners. And most stores in the area were Jewish owned. (Harlem is a predominantly African-American area in NYC).

And some time ago a similar thing happened in L.A. (although there IIRC the stores were mainly owned by Korean immigrants, not Jews).

Suz
3.2  seeder  Suz  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3    2 weeks ago
"Anyone with more than half a brain won't be fooled by this but sadly the conservative Republican base just eat it up and the author knows their readers aren't actually going to read the NYT opinion piece for themselves so they'll never know they've been lied to."

This subject matter isn't something that just cropped up recently.  It has been studied and discussed for generations, so I'm curious as to why you think I have a sinister agenda.  

Opinion; What Jewish and black people owe each other.

Will anti-Semitism divide Democrats?  It already has. 

I can sit here and add links all day but do you need more? 

Just as a reminder to you and/or others; everyone stated as fact there were going to be streets filled with Klan members and protesters holding Confederate flags greeting BLM head-on in Tulsa.  Were you one of those making that claim?  I think many people here owe Tulsa an apology. 

And, just so you know, I am a former subscriber to the NYT and I was raised by Democrats. 

Dismayed Patriot
3.2.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Suz @3.2    2 weeks ago
so I'm curious as to why you think I have a sinister agenda.  

When I said "author" I wasn't referring to you, I make no claim as to your motives for posting this or for reading FreeBeacon.

I can sit here and add links all day but do you need more?

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to prove with two other completely disparate stories that have nothing to do with the actual NYT opinion piece that this FreeBeacon articles wrongly claimed was an example of some "Antisemitism rearing it's ugly head". 

everyone stated as fact there were going to be streets filled with Klan members and protesters holding Confederate flags greeting BLM head-on in Tulsa.

That is not even near true. Please do link my (being part of everyone) claim or stated fact saying such a thing. I didn't see anyone here on NT making such a ridiculous claim. Are there Trump supporting Klan members and those who fly confederate flags and swastikas? Yes, of course, they are part of the conservative Republican party, they are integral members without which the Republican party would shrivel into nothing like the Wicked Witch of the West when doused in water.

I think many people here owe Tulsa an apology.

Perhaps the Trump supporters, but I don't see why any rational NT member would owe them an apology.

And, just so you know, I am a former subscriber to the NYT and I was raised by Democrats.

As were many many current Republicans. We know there was a concerted effort over the last 60 years by Republicans to appeal to the dis-effected Southern Democrats and within the last two decades they have turned virtually every previous Southern Democrat majority into Southern Republican majorities. And the southern strategy used by Republicans over the last 60 years didn't only effect the south but had the same effect in every other States that had communities of right leaning conservatives. Now they are all one big happy family, evangelicals, the KKK, wannabe Nazi's, and conservatives of all stripes.

Oh, and one quick question, did you actually read the entire NYT article before posting this dishonest trash from Freebeacon? Even a cursory glance would show it's not anything like what the authors of the Freebeacon opinion piece claim.

Thomas
3.2.2  Thomas  replied to  Suz @3.2    2 weeks ago
everyone stated as fact there were going to be streets filled with Klan members and protesters holding Confederate flags greeting BLM head-on in Tulsa.

I did not. So, therefore, everyone did not. I would bet that there are others here who belong in the same category of not everyone , also.

It does not seem that the author of the '67 New York Times opinion article, James Baldwin , hated Jews, either.

If one blames the Jew for not having been ennobled by oppression, one is not indicting the single figure of the Jew but the entire human race, and one is also making a quite breathtaking claim for oneself. I know that my own oppression did not ennoble me, not even when I thought of myself as a practicing Christian. I also know that if today I refuse to hate Jews, or anybody else, it is because I know how it feels to be hated. I learned this from Christians, and I ceased to practice what the Christians practiced. The crisis taking place in the world, and in the minds and hearts of black men everywhere, is not produced by the star of David, but by the old, rugged Roman cross on which Christendom's most celebrated Jew was murdered. And not by Jews.

He does seem to have had a beef with Christians, however.

But the authors of this article that you seeded? They have zero interest in alerting anyone to any real threat, their purpose is to sow discord, as evidenced by their title which is not backed up by the material it itself supplies for us to review. So, really, the seeded article was designed with the sole intent of causing a gut reaction to something that was not there to begin with. In other words: Propaganda.   

Krishna
3.3  Krishna  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @3    2 weeks ago

I guess they really are desperate to come up with anything that will help them this November, but they know that over 71% of American Jews vote Democrat because they're not stupid, they see very well which party actually supports them . . .

There are currently 9 Jewish Senators, 1 Independent (Bernie Sanders) and 8 Democrats. There are currently 27 Jewish House members, 25 Democrats and 2 Republicans.

Exactly!

Those numbers are pretty striking!

JBB
4  JBB    2 weeks ago

The Washington Free Beacon is a flagship of far far far rightwing neocons!

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/washington-free-beacon/

Heartland American
4.1  Heartland American  replied to  JBB @4    2 weeks ago

The site is noted for its conservative reporting, modeled after liberal counterparts in the media such as  ThinkProgress  and  Talking Points Memo , intended to publicize stories and influence the coverage of the mainstream media.   https://thenewstalkers.com/community/discussion/50689/the-oldest-hatred-rears-its-head#cm1341132

Dismayed Patriot
4.1.1  Dismayed Patriot  replied to  Heartland American @4.1    2 weeks ago
"The site is noted for its conservative reporting" "intended to publicize stories and influence the coverage of the mainstream media."

Yes, we get it, it's intentionally misleading. I guess it's those pointing it out that are in the wrong then, since it's apparently part of Freebeacon's charter.

Heartland American
4.1.2  Heartland American  replied to  Dismayed Patriot @4.1.1    2 weeks ago

Just like Think Progress and Talking Points Memo on the left.  You left that part out.  So are talking points memo and think progress intentionally misleading as well or are they ok because you tend to agree with their point of view?

Krishna
5  Krishna    2 weeks ago

I'm no expert om American history, but I do remember reading a few articles about the colonial era and the early days of the new American republic.

And yes-- there were times of great nastiness and anger re: "the other party".

It seems that sort of things ebbs and flows throughout our history. 

Krishna
5.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5    2 weeks ago
I'm no expert on early American history, but I do remember reading a few articles about the colonial era and then the early days of the new American republic.

Well I suppose one thing we can be grateful for-- recently at least there haven't been many cases of politicians actually killing each other! 

The Burr–Hamilton duel was a duel fought at Weehawken, New Jersey, between Vice President Aaron Burr and Alexander Hamilton, the former Secretary of the Treasury. It occurred early in the morning of July 11, 1804 and was the culmination of a long and bitter rivalry between the two men.

Burr shot Hamilton, while Hamilton's shot broke a tree branch directly above Burr's head. Hamilton was carried to the home of William Bayard Jr. where he died the next day.