╌>

Texas Floundering With Virus

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  42 comments

Texas Floundering With Virus
The state of Texas announced today that it is reverting to some earlier covid restrictions, including re-closing bars and limiting the number of diners in restaurants.  Governor Abbott is being blasted for incompetence. 

The state of Texas announced today that it is reverting to some earlier covid restrictions, including re-closing bars and limiting the number of diners in restaurants.  Governor Abbott is being blasted for incompetence. 

======================================================

I have a 24 year old niece in San Antonio who works as a server in a high end seafood restaurant in that city. She was off work since the third week in March because the restaurant was closed due to virus. About three weeks ago she was given a date to return to work of June 17. The restaurant had been open prior to June 17 but with limited capacity. Then they were to open to 100% capacity. My niece was wary to go back because she has asthma and the restaurant was not promising any specific protections for the staff such as masks. In fact the staff would not be allowed to wear masks while working. Then the word came that anyone who did not report back to work on their assigned date would be fired.  Before the day came there was a dramatic turn of events.  The person who had threatened the firings, the manager of the restaurant, had come down with CORONAVIRUS himself. 

Now the restaurant is closed indefinitely. 

Texas, gettin er done. 

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

3b02aa13f458c2bd64b7cae94a6240cb

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

Here in Arkansas restuarants still aren't operating at 100% capacity and people are required to wear a mask when they walk in until they are seated. Servers are all wearing masks.

In Florida, nobody said anything about clientele wearing masks but all the servers were wearing them wherever you went

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @2    4 years ago

Florida just set another record for new confirmed COVID19 cases, 8947..The previous high was two days ago at 5511.

It is totally out of control here. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Kavika @2.1    4 years ago

Be careful, my friend

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @2.1.1    4 years ago

Definitely, Trout. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @2.1    4 years ago
It is totally out of control here. 

Well, if that's the case-- if I didn't know, I would assume that the governor is a Republican....

Kavika
Professor Principal
2.1.4  Kavika   replied to  Krishna @2.1.3    4 years ago

On the forgotten Navajo Reservation the total number of positive cases is 7278 and deaths are 348.

All of the help is coming from other tribes and many of the good citizens of the US including those damn liberals who have donated millions of dollars, PPE's and are showing up, in person, on the rez to work and help out. Sean Penn to name one that is on the rez. 

Of course, the governor of AZ didn't pay attention to what was happening right under his nose and opened up AZ and now they are in the middle of an uncontrolled outbreak. 

Thank goodness some of the states have mayors with more brains than the governors as they seem to have taken charge in the response. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
2.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Krishna @2.1.3    4 years ago
'It is totally out of control here.'
'Well, if that's the case-- if I didn't know, I would assume that the governor is a Republican....'

Gee, according to some posters here, these spikes are only in Democrat 'hotbeds'

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2  Krishna  replied to  Trout Giggles @2    4 years ago
Here in Arkansas restuarants still aren't operating at 100% capacity and people are required to wear a mask when they walk in until they are seated. Servers are all wearing masks. In Florida, nobody said anything about clientele wearing masks but all the servers were wearing them wherever you went

Governors positions on the subject vary. Some require masks, some don't.

But some, being typical spineless politicians,don't give a damn about their population, but rather are trying to play it only to their own political advantage by trying to look good with all voters. They are "recommending" people wear mask-- but don't require it!

Which ain't worth a hill of beans! 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
2.2.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Krishna @2.2    4 years ago

Our governor hasn't signed an EO ordering masks in public but some mayors in the state have done so. I think you can try and control it at the local level.

Just Jim NC TttH
Professor Principal
2.2.2  Just Jim NC TttH  replied to  Trout Giggles @2.2.1    4 years ago

You can try but our county, Mecklenburg, tried it and they couldn't enact it unless it was ordered by the Governor. As of 5:00 today, masks are required in retail establishments like grocery stores and restaurants................but there is a qualifier. "If you can't maintain social distancing". Even outside too. The only way it can be enforced though is if an establishment tells you to wear one and you refuse. If they ask you to leave in that case and you don't, they can call the police and the police can at least ticket you for trespassing. Of course once you are in the restaurant and seated, you can take off the mask but waiting for a table, youy have to leave it on.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

My local watering hole just reopened here.  As much as I would love to go have a glass of wine and get out of the house, I am not taking the chance of mingling with the large crowd that showed up that first night and who will show up again.  It is just not worth it.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3    4 years ago

We should do a Zoom meeting or something where all get on our computers, hoist our favorite beverage, and just gab

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.1.1  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    4 years ago

We've been doing a weekly Zoom call involving wine and about ten couples since March.....

You should hear our recycling bin as it is emptied at the curb.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.2  Krishna  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1    4 years ago
We should do a Zoom meeting or something where all get on our computers, hoist our favorite beverage, and just gab

Actually I am a member of a discussion group that used to meet in person-- but now does just that. (We still meet regularly and talk, but now our meetings are on Zoom)

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.1.1    4 years ago

We have been doing the same thing, too, fly. Maybe I can make one for NT?

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.1.4  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.3    4 years ago

That might be fun.....Talk and laughing with each other rather than throwing rocks all the time.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.5  Trout Giggles  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.1.4    4 years ago

So I can't bring my rocks?

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.6  Trout Giggles  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.3    4 years ago

I would love that if we could set it up for a weekend. My laptop actually has a camera

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.1.7  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.5    4 years ago

Bring your favorite fishing story, and a bottle of your favorite hooch.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2  Krishna  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3    4 years ago

I feel the same way.

But one of the ironies here is that even if someone wants to be a responsible citizen and wear a mask-- how can you wear a mask and drink a glass of wine? (Probably you could just move it aside for a few seconds, sip some wine, and quickly move it back?)

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.2.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @3.2    4 years ago

And what about wearing a mask if you're eating in a restaurant? A bit of a hassle . . . 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4  Tessylo    4 years ago

Texas floundering with virus . . . and Florida . . . and Arizona . . . and . . . 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
5  FLYNAVY1    4 years ago

You would figure those in states where things are spiking would have learned from the efforts in NY, NJ, CT, IL, and MI that have their infection rates going the right direction.

It seems like we are going to have to learn this the hard way and play Covid "whack-a-mole" for the foreseeable future.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  Krishna  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5    4 years ago

I read recently that N.Y. State has been having the lowest numbers of new cases in the entire country. Pretty amazing considering that initially they had the highest number! (So obviously they've learned a lot about controlling the virus).

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
5.1.1  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Krishna @5.1    4 years ago

That’s bullcrap NY had 719 new cases just yesterday. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.2  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.1.1    4 years ago

We have 90 new cases:

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.3  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.2    4 years ago

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
5.1.4  Dean Moriarty  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.2    4 years ago

That's just in the city alone. That rest of the state also had cases giving it a total of 719. The third column from the left is new daily cases from the live science link I provided above. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.5  Tessylo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.2    4 years ago

Florida had about 9,000 new cases 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.6  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.3    4 years ago

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.7  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.1.4    4 years ago
New York cases
Updated Jun 26 at 2:23 PM local
Confirmed
+805
Deaths
+14
Recovered
-

Dean Moriarty
Professor Quiet
5.1.8  Dean Moriarty  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.6    4 years ago

Could you please post Californias chart? jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.9  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.2    4 years ago

New York has a very good trend

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.1.10  Tessylo  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.1.8    4 years ago

Why don't you?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.11  author  JohnRussell  replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.9    4 years ago

The last time NY had as many new daily cases as Texas and Florida have today was a month and a half ago. 

Kavika
Professor Principal
5.1.12  Kavika   replied to  JohnRussell @5.1.6    4 years ago

Yesterday Florida set a new record for cases. 8947, the old record 2 days ago was 5511. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.13  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.1.8    4 years ago

i think i can do that

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
5.1.14  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Dean Moriarty @5.1.8    4 years ago

Tessylo
Professor Principal
5.2  Tessylo  replied to  FLYNAVY1 @5    4 years ago

According to some all these spikes are in 'democrat hotbeds' and couldn't possibly have anything to do with stupid selfish assholes refusing to follow common sense guidelines?

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
6  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago

Gov. Greg Abbott orders Texas bars to close again

there's going to be some mean drunks down there tonight

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
7  Account Deleted    4 years ago

Where  I live I thought things were going pretty well.

Then I drove by Wally-Mart and saw them putting up a new sign above the social distancing warning...

" hic omnes qui ingrediuntur desperantibus "