╌>

Dow tumbles 550 points Friday as Texas orders bars to re-close as coronavirus cases spike

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  4 years ago  •  18 comments

By:   Mark DeCambre

Dow tumbles 550 points Friday as Texas orders bars to re-close as coronavirus cases spike
What’s driving the market? Investors have wrestled with rising daily rates of new U.S. coronavirus cases all week, and that has continued to cast a pall over the market on Friday.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Rising cases rattle Wall Street  GETTY IMAGES

U.S. stock indexes skidded sharply lower Friday, after Texas tightened social-distancing rules in the wake of a record number of new coronavirus cases being reported nationwide.

What’s driving the market?

Investors have wrestled with rising daily rates of new U.S. coronavirus cases all week, and that has continued to cast a pall over the market on Friday.

Indeed, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott implemented restrictions on social gatherings in the Lonestar state and ordered all bars to re-close on Friday, making the state the first to reverse some reopening measures after months of lockdowns .

The orders announced on Friday also come a day after the governor said he was freezing reopening plans in the state.

On Thursday, U.S. states saw a single-day record rise of 37,000 in infections, led by Florida, Texas, California and Arizona, surpassing the 36,188 level from April 24

Overall, total cases in the U.S. have topped 2.4 million and that increase, notably in southern and western states in the U.S., and has resulted in governors halting business reopening plans in, North Carolina, Louisiana and Kansas.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

U.S. stock indexes skidded sharply lower Friday, after Texas tightened social-distancing rules in the wake of a record number of new coronavirus cases being reported nationwide.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott implemented restrictions on social gatherings in the Lonestar state and ordered all bars to re-close on Friday, making the state the first to reverse some reopening measures after months of lockdowns .

Making the state the first to reverse some reopening measures after months of lockdowns?

Trump is going to be pissed-- really pissed! jrSmiley_5_smiley_image.png

Krishna
Professor Expert
2  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

On Thursday, U.S. states saw a single-day record rise of 37,000 in infections, led by Florida, Texas, California and Arizona, surpassing the 36,188 level from April 24.

Uh-Oooh :-(

Kavika
Professor Principal
3  Kavika     4 years ago

But the virus will disappear per Trump.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Kavika @3    4 years ago

But the virus will disappear per Trump.

Ah-- good to hear that! After all-- Trump would never lie!

(Or would he?)

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Krishna @3.1    4 years ago

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was supposed to disappear when the warm weather showed up! Is 91 degrees warm enough?

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Kavika   replied to  Trout Giggles @3.1.1    4 years ago

This is Florida and the temp's statewide are in the high 80's to high 90's and we set a record for new cases yesterday of 8947. That hot weather is stopping the virus in its tracks. /S

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
3.1.3  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Kavika @3.1.2    4 years ago

Actually it is not the heat, but UV rays that kill the virus. If you are indoor, no UV. 

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.5  It Is ME  replied to  Kavika @3.1.2    4 years ago
This is Florida and the temp's statewide are in the high 80's to high 90's and we set a record for new cases yesterday of 8947. That hot weather is stopping the virus in its tracks. /S

Like the "Cure", the super hot weather just started in Florida !

July and August are the best months. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

September comes close. 

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.1.6  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Kavika @3.1.2    4 years ago

As it gets hot, people are heading indoors for the AC..... Indoors spreads the virus.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.1.8  It Is ME  replied to    4 years ago
Otherwise the indecipherable written commentary will be rendered illiterate.

You need more pictures ?

jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg jrSmiley_123_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_97_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_99_smiley_image.jpg jrSmiley_102_smiley_image.gif jrSmiley_10_smiley_image.gif

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.9  Kavika   replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @3.1.3    4 years ago

I have UV rays in the house. How in the hell do you think I keep that beautiful bronze coloring I have. Geez.jrSmiley_7_smiley_image.png

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.10  Kavika   replied to    4 years ago

A couple of things r.t..b...I'm damn sure that the Trump rally really helped quell the virus.../s

The Navajo reservation is being devastated by the virus and Ducey couldn't see what was right under his nose and opened up AZ...How frickin' stupid is that.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
3.1.11  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Kavika @3.1.9    4 years ago

You told me Coppertone Kavika!

Kavika
Professor Principal
3.1.12  Kavika   replied to  FLYNAVY1 @3.1.11    4 years ago

You told me Coppertone Kavika!

Fake news....LOL

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    4 years ago

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
5  bbl-1    4 years ago

Lets get real here people.  So the 'so called stock market' drops because Texas closed the bars?  Trying not to laugh here, but if this is the case it is time to tell those 'so called stock market folk' to cash in their chips and head back to China, House of Saud or wherever it is they're getting their play money.  In other words, ditch those people and replace them with recent college grads that have at least a basic understanding of business, trends and economics.

The 'so called stock market' has been thrown into idiocy by these Supply Siders.  Off with their heads, the hell with em'.