Cuomo, de Blasio wrong to limit worship services, condone mass protests: federal judge

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  suz  •  2 weeks ago  •  83 comments

By:   By Caleb Parke

Cuomo, de Blasio wrong to limit worship services, condone mass protests: federal judge
New York Gov. coronavirus orders unfairly targeted houses of worship, federal judge says.

Perry, this is why I worry about the small issues. 

As soon as we let up our guard, men like Cuomo and de Blasio think nothing of denying religious freedoms under the guise of protecting the everyday people.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

A federal judge said New York  Gov.  Andrew Cuomo , Attorney General Letitia James, and New York City Mayor  Bill de Blasio "exceeded" their executive limits by limiting worship services and condoning mass protests  as the state continues to reopen from coronavirus restrictions.

U.S. District Judge Gary L. Sharpe issued a preliminary injunction Friday on behalf of two  Catholic  priests -- Steven Soos and Nicholas Stamos -- and a trio of Orthodox  Jewish  congregants -- Elchanan Perr, Daniel Schonborn, and Mayer Mayerfeld -- in Brooklyn, represented by the Thomas More Society.

They filed the  suit  in the Northern District of New York after mass protests and looting occurred in the Big Apple following  George Floyd 's police-related death in May.

De Blasio had "simultaneous pro-protest/anti-religious gathering messages" when he "actively encouraged participation in protests and openly discouraged religious gatherings and threatened religious worshipers," Sharpe said in his federal order.

"Governor Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio could have just as easily discouraged protests, short of condemning their message, in the name of public health and exercised discretion to suspend enforcement for public safety reasons instead of encouraging what they knew was a flagrant disregard of the outdoor limits and social distancing rules," the judge added. "They could have also been silent. But by acting as they did, Governor Cuomo and Mayor de Blasio sent a clear message that mass protests are deserving of preferential treatment."

Thomas More Society Special Counsel Christopher Ferrara celebrated the decision and called Cuomo's executive orders a "sham" that "went right out the window as soon as he and Mayor de Blasio saw a mass protest movement they favored taking to the streets by the thousands."

"Suddenly, the limit on ‘mass gatherings’ was no longer necessary to ‘save lives,’" Ferrara said in a statement to Fox News. "Yet they were continuing to ban high school graduations and other outdoor gatherings exceeding a mere 25 people."

Continue reading:   https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-coronavirus-reopen-plan-church-synagogue

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
smarty_function_ntUser_is_admin: user_id parameter required
[]

Suz
1  seeder  Suz    2 weeks ago

Long overdue!

Vic Eldred
1.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Suz @1    2 weeks ago

Congrats on the article. You beat me to it.

Voted up!

1776  Traditional American
1.2  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Suz @1    2 weeks ago

Indeed it is!  Way to go judge! Cuomo and de Blasio needed to be put back in their proper places after trampling on our religious liberty with such wanton disregard for we the people.

Split Personality
1.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  1776 Traditional American @1.2    2 weeks ago

How exactly did Cuomo or De Blasio harm you in faraway Redding?

Vic Eldred
1.2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.1    2 weeks ago
How exactly did Cuomo or De Blasio harm you in faraway Redding?

That's an odd question. The NY officials have violated religious protections because they placed restrictions on a religion which they didn't place on their beloved demonstrators.One doesn't need to be religious or a New Yorker to be outraged by it!

Split Personality
1.2.3  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.2    2 weeks ago

Worshipers + indoors, breathing each others fumes for an hour or more is exponentially more risky

than marching outdoors in the wind and sun according to Birx and Fauci.  Same thing they said about the beach goers.

Now if you are telling me that you are more concerned with the health of the rioters, murderers and arsonists,

well, lets just say I'd be surprised.

Vic Eldred
1.2.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.3    2 weeks ago
Worshipers + indoors, breathing each others fumes for an hour or more is exponentially more risky

More risky than a horde of hysterical degenerates crowded together?

Now if you are telling me that you are more concerned with the health of the rioters, murderers and arsonists,

well, lets just say I'd be surprised.

I'm saying the Constitution of the United States provided for restrictions on religious services/events for reasons of the health of the community, provided they are administered fairly! Progressives can't seem to do that. This is a law suit that New Yorkers will ultimately have to pay for!

Tessylo
1.2.5  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.4    2 weeks ago

'More risky than a horde of hysterical degenerates crowded together?'

Which tRump 'rally' are you referring to?

Tulsa or Phoenix?

Tessylo
1.2.6  Tessylo  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.5    2 weeks ago

I think I have a new band name:

Hordes of Hysterical Degenerates

1.2.7  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.1    2 weeks ago

We are one country so I stand up for the rights of other citizens wherever in our exceptional one nation under God, indivisible live

Suz
1.2.8  seeder  Suz  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.6    2 weeks ago

Are you talking to yourself again?  :-)

Tessylo
1.2.10  Tessylo  replied to  Suz @1.2.8    2 weeks ago

???????????????????????????????

Not cute at all

dennis smith
1.2.11  dennis smith  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.5    2 weeks ago

The degenerates are leaving CHOP in Seattle

dennis smith
1.2.12  dennis smith  replied to  Suz @1.2.8    2 weeks ago

There is at least one NT who can't spell Trump correctly even after 3 + years.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
1.2.13  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  1776 Traditional American @1.2.7    2 weeks ago
We are one country so I stand up for the rights of other citizens wherever in our exceptional one nation under God, indivisible live

Hog to the wash.

Paula Bartholomew
1.2.14  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.2.13    2 weeks ago

His rights stop if it endangers the health of others.

Suz
1.2.15  seeder  Suz  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.10    2 weeks ago

I thought it was very cute and it was said in earnest.    It certainly wasn't meant to anger you.

Veronica
1.2.16  Veronica  replied to  dennis smith @1.2.12    2 weeks ago

Oh don't bring up that shit after 8 years of abusive spellings of Obama's name & the abuse of his wife and children on this site and NewsVine.  

Tessylo
1.2.17  Tessylo  replied to  dennis smith @1.2.12    2 weeks ago

tRump

Tessylo
1.2.18  Tessylo  replied to  dennis smith @1.2.11    2 weeks ago
'The degenerates are leaving CHOP in Seattle'

Are you in Seattle?

Tessylo
1.2.19  Tessylo  replied to  Suz @1.2.15    2 weeks ago

'I thought it was very cute and it was said in earnest.    It certainly wasn't meant to anger you.'

You thought it was cute.

I misunderstood.

My apologies.  

Tessylo
1.2.20  Tessylo  replied to  Veronica @1.2.16    2 weeks ago

Here's another way to spell the 'president's' name:

scumlappingshitbag

Tessylo
1.2.21  Tessylo  replied to  dennis smith @1.2.12    2 weeks ago

'There is at least one NT who can't spell Trump correctly even after 3 + years.'

Excuse me but what does that have to do with the topic?

1.2.22  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.6    2 weeks ago

Democrats are that 

1.2.23  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.17    2 weeks ago

biDen

dennis smith
1.2.24  dennis smith  replied to  Veronica @1.2.16    2 weeks ago

I never knowingly misspelled Obama's name. Those who did were as childish as those who intentionally misspell Trump's name. 

It was wrong then and is wrong now. 

dennis smith
1.2.25  dennis smith  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.21    2 weeks ago

Just pointing out the childishness of intentionally misspelling someones name

dennis smith
1.2.26  dennis smith  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.18    2 weeks ago

Approx 25 miles south of Seattle. 

cjcold
1.2.27  cjcold  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.6    2 weeks ago

Always liked "nattering nabobs of negativism". 

Paula Bartholomew
1.2.28  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @1.2.18    2 weeks ago

CHOP had another murder.  Numerous 9-11 calls came in from there about it from the same people who to disband the police.  What a bunch of morons.

Paula Bartholomew
1.2.29  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Veronica @1.2.16    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_28_smiley_image.gifjrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
1.2.30  Krishna  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.2    2 weeks ago
One doesn't need to be religious or a New Yorker to be outraged by it!

Are you aware of the fact that there's a difference between being outraged-- and being harmed?

In addition, being harmed usually implies something that was done to you--- outrage is something you do to yourself (you can control it).

Krishna
1.2.31  Krishna  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.2    2 weeks ago
The NY officials have violated religious protections

Are you aware of the fact that religious people (yes, even those that are overly fanatical about it) can worship in private.

God will hear your prayers just as will if you say them in private as in public? I'm surprised you didn't know that!!!

Perhaps you may not be aware of this-- but God is "Omnisicent" (which means "all knowing")-- so therefore she knows that you are praying-- as well as what your prayers say-- whether you are praying alone or in a group! 

Krishna
1.2.32  Krishna  replied to  Split Personality @1.2.3    2 weeks ago

Many people are unaware of how the virus is spread-- and the difference in danger posed by various activities.

One of the things that has been definitely established--- the virus is spread much more easily in enclosed spaced (i.e. indoors) then it is outdoors.

Meaning?  As most well-informed people know,while praying alone or in a group is equally effective in your prayer's reaching God's ears-- the odds of spreading the virus when you pray in a group aren sigificantly greater than praying alone!

It seems pretty obvious that this entire brouhaha is many peoples' political agenda...because its certainly not about prayer being less effective when done alone.

In addition, its about people who are obsessing over this issue are, in actuality, being selfish... (because their own preference as to praying in groups is more important tothem than protecting other people ... 

Krishna
1.2.33  Krishna  replied to  Vic Eldred @1.2.4    2 weeks ago
More risky than a horde of hysterical degenerates crowded together?

A crowd of hysterical degenerates such as is the case at at a typica; Trump rally is even riskier than some calm, devout people praying in a church. 

(But then-- you already knew that! :-)

Split Personality
1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Suz @1    2 weeks ago

Well the horses left the barn long ago.......I doubt there will be an appeal

or any consequences.

Vic Eldred
1.3.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @1.3    2 weeks ago
or any consequences.

I disagree. We shall see.

Suz
1.3.2  seeder  Suz  replied to  Split Personality @1.3    2 weeks ago

For me, it started when the mayor publicly humiliated the Rabbi and the people at a funeral.   I can understand genuine concern for the citizens, but that isn't what I heard.  I heard threats of jail and threats of very large fines. He was livid and it became personal.

I also remember his attitude toward a Christian group of doctors and nurses who came to NYC to help with what was thought to be an overflow of patients, but instead of a thank you, he immediately went into overdrive when he wrongly assumed that only Christians would be treated.   If I'm not mistaken, he told the public he would put a stop to that nonsense or something close to that anyway.  

When Cuomo and de Blasio started in on churches in general, they did not hide their contempt or disgust, if you will, and yeah, I thought it could have been handled with far more tact than was given.  I wasn't the only one surprised at their willingness to assist the people destroying property belonging to others.  

1.3.3  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Suz @1.3.2    2 weeks ago

Cuomo and deBlasio have become just typical democrats on this issue.  

Tessylo
2  Tessylo    2 weeks ago

'As soon as we let up our guard, men like Cuomo and de Blasio think nothing of denying religious freedoms under the guise of protecting the everyday people.'

What about common sense and precautions?  How is that denying 'religious freedom'

I wonder whose pocket this judge is in. 

2.1  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Tessylo @2    2 weeks ago

Did the looters and rioters engage in common sense and precautions as they attacked our country and all that it stands for?  

dennis smith
2.1.1  dennis smith  replied to  1776 Traditional American @2.1    2 weeks ago

There are some on the left who typically cherry pick. 

2.1.2  1776 Traditional American  replied to  dennis smith @2.1.1    2 weeks ago

Indeed....

Krishna
2.1.3  Krishna  replied to  dennis smith @2.1.1    2 weeks ago
There are some on the left who typically cherry pick. 

But there are none on the Right who ever do that.

Why do you think it is?

Vic Eldred
2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @2    2 weeks ago
What about common sense and precautions?  How is that denying 'religious freedom'

The answer to that is any restriction on religious services for health reasons is legal provided the same restrictions are placed on everyone/everything else. Of course the lefties who run New York are far too emotionally involved with the violent protests. They got nailed as they should have!

Split Personality
2.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2    2 weeks ago

Of course it's easier to police groups of a few hundred and prevent them possible self harm by congregating in churches.

Trying to use the same police to contain tens of thousands of people pissed of over deaths of detainees while in police custody

isn't really manageable.

Vic Eldred
2.2.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.1    2 weeks ago
Of course it's easier to police groups of a few hundred and prevent them possible self harm by congregating in churches.

Oh, is that it?  I thing a former CA Governor might have proved the lameness of that excuse.

Trying to use the same police to contain tens of thousands of people pissed of over deaths of detainees while in police custody

isn't really manageable.

I'm pretty pissed off at them, but I don't go out committing murder and arson!

Split Personality
2.2.3  Split Personality  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.2    2 weeks ago
but I don't go out committing murder and arson!

No one said you did.  did they?

Tacos!
2.2.4  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.1    2 weeks ago
Trying to use the same police to contain tens of thousands of people pissed of over deaths of detainees while in police custody isn't really manageable.

Especially if you are unwilling to make the attempt. Factually, mobs have been controlled in the past. You just need to be willing to do the work and support the people whose job it is to keep the peace.

Vic Eldred
2.2.5  Vic Eldred  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.3    2 weeks ago

You made an argument for "people" being pissed off. 

2.2.6  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.1    2 weeks ago

It is manageable and would be managed it if certain mayors and governors did their jobs. 

dennis smith
2.2.7  dennis smith  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.1    2 weeks ago

So those who chose to deny church access took the easy way out instead of tackling the larger problem. Thought the Dems were for equal opportunity. 

Ronin2
2.2.8  Ronin2  replied to  dennis smith @2.2.7    2 weeks ago

Only if they believe it will garner them votes. Same as any politician.

Suz
2.2.9  seeder  Suz  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.3    2 weeks ago

Good morning, SP. 

No, no one said he did, but in general, it is implied.   It is seen and heard throughout that people are guilty by association.  

Krishna
2.2.10  Krishna  replied to  Vic Eldred @2.2.2    2 weeks ago
I don't go out committing murder and arson!

No one here is saying that you committed murder and arson!!!

dennis smith
2.3  dennis smith  replied to  Tessylo @2    2 weeks ago

Where was Cuomo's common sense when he sent infected people into nursing homes? His state was unprepared for the virus and relied on the feds to provide him with hospitals, military medical personnel, ventilators ( they were not available from what Obama left). Then he allowed reopening in such a way that did not work well (Now he blames Trump for Cuomo's own decision on how and when to reopen.)

Cuomo has become non-essential

It Is ME
2.3.1  It Is ME  replied to  dennis smith @2.3    2 weeks ago
Where was Cuomo's common sense when he sent infected people into nursing homes?

Trump made him do it ! jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Someone musta told Cuomo he was Praising Trumps actions to much !

Paula Bartholomew
2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Tessylo @2    2 weeks ago

All they are doing is eliminating a brick and mortar environment, not stopping people from praying.  If you have to have a building to do that then use your own homes.  A makeshift alter would not be hard to construct and not all that expensive.

r.t..b...
2.4.1  r.t..b...  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @2.4    2 weeks ago
not stopping people from praying.

And is not faith and spirituality a personal relationship with the object of one's individual devotion? Many religions call for fellowship to be an integral part of the ceremony, but doubt if the communal was ever intended to supersede the personal....until, of course, the offering plates are passed around. 

Paula Bartholomew
2.4.2  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  r.t..b... @2.4.1    2 weeks ago

I understand the need for parishioners to gather, but these are desperate times and they have to adapt.

pat wilson
3  pat wilson    2 weeks ago

Isn't one seeding of this article enough ? 

Vic Eldred
3.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  pat wilson @3    2 weeks ago

We did it at the same time. Mine is gone.

Thanks for noticing

3.1.1  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    2 weeks ago

They love to monitor us conservatives seeds.  

Tessylo
3.1.2  Tessylo  replied to  1776 Traditional American @3.1.1    2 weeks ago

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Suz
3.1.3  seeder  Suz  replied to  Vic Eldred @3.1    2 weeks ago

Vic, I am so very sorry.  I did look to see if it had already been posted but could find nothing.   Mea culpa.

3.1.4  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Suz @3.1.3    2 weeks ago

When I returned to the site yesterday I saw them both in the top 5 list and checked to see if they were the same or slightly different due to different sources of origin.  They were identical and it was clear that they were seeded in a time frame that neither could have seen that the other was virtually simultaneously seeding the same article.  Since Vic was on the site then I used chat to inform him what happened and like the gentleman he is, he chose to delete his. You have nothing to be sorry or apologize for.  It was nothing more than an odd coincidence that two members would nearly simultaneously seed the exact same thing.  You should consider joining and seeing through Vic’s group, We the People to the front page....

Sean Treacy
4  Sean Treacy    2 weeks ago

Those two clowns are too dumb to breathe.  They made this as easy as possible for the judge with their over the top bias.

Vic Eldred
4.1  Vic Eldred  replied to  Sean Treacy @4    2 weeks ago

This is a lawsuit. Maybe this will make up for all those who died in NY nursing homes.

4.1.1  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1    2 weeks ago

That bastardized governor had nerve to criticize Florida when the deaths per 100,000 population in his state is 20x that of Florida or Texas. The Texas AG was right about what he said about clueless Cuomo yesterday 

Vic Eldred
4.1.2  Vic Eldred  replied to  1776 Traditional American @4.1.1    2 weeks ago
That bastardized governor

He should be charged with murder for all those infected seniors he had sent right back into nursing homes. There is also a NY nurse claiming he did the same with hospital medical wards.

Tessylo
4.1.3  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.2    2 weeks ago

Then we should charge tRump with murder for ignoring all warnings and disassembling the pandemic response team that President Obama put in place . . . . . . . . criminally negligent homicide.  

Vic Eldred
4.1.4  Vic Eldred  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.3    2 weeks ago

I'm sure the scum in the House of Representatives will try, but why not just continue with the violence and mayhem?

4.1.5  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.4    2 weeks ago

They are scum and violence and mayhem is what they do. 

dennis smith
4.1.6  dennis smith  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.3    2 weeks ago

Obama left very little in place and the states did nothing to help themselves either and begged for Trumps to do what Obama did not do.

Tessylo
4.1.7  Tessylo  replied to  Vic Eldred @4.1.4    2 weeks ago

'I'm sure the scum in the House of Representatives will try, but why not just continue with the violence and mayhem?'

We're not talking about the gop/republicans.  

Tessylo
4.1.8  Tessylo  replied to  dennis smith @4.1.6    2 weeks ago
'Obama left very little in place and the states did nothing to help themselves either and begged for Trumps to do what Obama did not do.'

What?

President Obama had the Pandemic Response Team assembled.

tRump disassembled it.  

4.1.9  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.7    2 weeks ago

you don’t get to decide what we are talking about. 

dennis smith
4.1.10  dennis smith  replied to  Tessylo @4.1.8    2 weeks ago

The states were supposed to have their own response ready which they did not. Ventilators, hospitals built in days, buildings converted, navy medical ships ready and deployed, medical teams sent to states were all done by Trump. 

The "team" Obama left behind was symbolic at best.

Tacos!
5  Tacos!    2 weeks ago

It's just basic fairness and equal justice.

5.1  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Tacos! @5    2 weeks ago

Here’s another example of the progressives double standard. DC mayor encourages people to show up for BLM protests but says you damn well better stay home on Independence Day.  

Democratic Washington, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser told residents to spend the 4th of July at home, despite encouraging Black Lives Matter (BLM) gatherings happening en masse amid the coronavirus outbreak.

“Just because there are going to be fireworks downtown — doesn’t mean I have to go,” Bowser said at a press conference Thursday. She said she hopes to see a significant reduction in crowd sizes related to July 4th events, according to Fox 5 .

Suz
5.1.2  seeder  Suz  replied to  1776 Traditional American @5.1    2 weeks ago

I have a very bad feeling this year's celebration of Independence Day will become a battle ground. 

5.1.3  1776 Traditional American  replied to  Suz @5.1.2    2 weeks ago

It might in some places but not in most of the country.  In the big blue cities surrounded by blue states it’s totally possible but the rabble will not come to the exurbs and small town America to bleep up our celebrations of our country.  As to DC, I’m sure that the national guard will protect those there to celebrate our country from those there to destroy it.