╌>

Israel orders evangelical GOD TV off the air for alleged missionary content

Category:  News & Politics

By:  john-russell  •  4 years ago  •  34 comments

Israel’s media watchdog says it has withdrawn the broadcast license from US-based evangelical network GOD TV, accusing it of seeking to target Jews with Christian content.

Israel’s media watchdog says it has withdrawn the broadcast license from US-based evangelical network GOD TV, accusing it of seeking to target Jews with Christian content.

International Christian network’s GOD TV launched its Shelanu (Hebrew for “ours”) channel at the end of April on Israeli cable provider Hot, describing it as catering to Christians.

But the channel provoked an immediate outcry in Israel, with then-communications minister David Amsalem accusing it of being a “missionary channel” seeking to convert Jews to Christianity.

The Cable and Satellite Broadcasting Council launched an investigation to determine if GOD TV had misrepresented its content when it applied for a license.

Council chairman Asher Bitton says today that following the probe and a hearing, he has informed Hot that Shelanu broadcasts must be removed within seven days.

“The channel is aimed at Jews with Christian content, in contrast to the original broadcast request, which stated it was designated for Christians,” Bitton says in a council statement.

It says that a Christian channel for Jews won’t be automatically disqualified in the future, but that it will have to seek council approval, which Shelanu had not done.

Hot could file a new request for Shelanu that would include “a truthful and detailed” characterization of the channel, the statement adds.

A spokeswoman for Hot says the company is “cooperating with the council and will act in accordance with its decisions on the matter.”

In one promotional clip for Shelanu, GOD TV director Ward Simpson tells viewers, “we’re going to preach the Jewish Jesus to the nation of Israel… they’re going to hear the gospel presented to them in their native tongue.”

— AFP

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1  author  JohnRussell    4 years ago
“The channel is aimed at Jews with Christian content, in contrast to the original broadcast request, which stated it was designated for Christians,” Bitton says in a council statement. It says that a Christian channel for Jews won’t be automatically disqualified in the future, but that it will have to seek council approval, which Shelanu had not done.

And you thought things were tough for Christians in the U.S. 

Does anyone know what the "freedom of religion" situation is in Israel?  If you stand on a street corner shouting "Jesus Saves" will you be led away? 

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1  Gordy327  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago
And you thought things were tough for Christians in the U.S.

I never thought so. Christians might say it is. Although they have never been able to demonstrate it.

Does anyone know what the "freedom of religion" situation is in Israel? 

If I am not mistaken, I think Israel generally does allow freedom of religion and religious exercise. Although I am not certain as to what extent that freedom goes. Israel does recognize major religions and related denominations. I'm not sure about "minor" religions though.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
1.1.1  author  JohnRussell  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1    4 years ago

As I understand this news story, the God TV evangelical channel lost their license to broadcast in Israel because their televised message was to try and proselytize Jews toward Christianity. That doesnt quite sound like freedom of religion. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.2  Krishna  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1    4 years ago
I'm not sure about "minor" religions though.

Well, here's a Q that may help supply the anser: Do you consider the Ba'hai religion to be a minor religion?

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.3  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.1.2    4 years ago
Well, here's a Q that may help supply the answer: Do you consider the Ba'hai religion to be a minor religion?

If you never heard of it (or not quite sure)-- that at least in part answers that question :-)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
1.1.4  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @1.1.3    4 years ago

Their headquarters is in Haifa, because they have freedom to practise their faith in Israel, but have been persecuted elsewhere. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.5  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @1.1.4    4 years ago

Their headquarters is in Haifa, because they have freedom to practise their faith in Israel, but have been persecuted elsewhere. 

Yes that's what I was getting at. From what I know of that religion (they are small in numbers), they are  tolerant. But they originated in Iran. And they were horrible persecuted-- some extremely cruel tortures were imposed.

In fact they would be persecuted in most Muslim countries, because their religion strongly violates one of the teachings of Islam. 

So-- many went to Israel where they knew they'd be respected, and built their (rather beautiful) headquarters & gardens there:

The   Baháʼí World Centre   is the name given to the spiritual and administrative centre of the   Baháʼí Faith . [1]   The World Centre consists of the   Shrine of Baháʼu'lláh   near   Acre, Israel , the   Shrine of the Báb   and its gardens on   Mount Carmel   in   Haifa, Israel , and various other buildings in the area including the   Arc buildings . [1]

Much of the international governance and coordination of the Baháʼí Faith occurs at the Baháʼí World Centre. These include decisions that affect the religion on a global level, and the   study and translation   of the Baháʼí holy writings. The   Universal House of Justice , representing the supreme governing body of the Baháʼí Faith, resides in Haifa. The Baháʼí World Centre is also the current destination for   Baháʼí pilgrimage .

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.6  Gordy327  replied to  JohnRussell @1.1.1    4 years ago

Again, I don't know the extent of Israeli religious freedom. They may not  include proselytizing in that. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2  Krishna  replied to  JohnRussell @1    4 years ago
Does anyone know what the "freedom of religion" situation is in Israel?

IIRC, over ten percent of the Israeli population are Muslim Arabs. They are citizens, and have the right to vote, freedom to worship as they please, and are represented in the Parliament.

Rights which, ironically, they would not have in most Arab countries!

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.2.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.2    4 years ago

Israel also has a draft-- both men and women must serve.

However non-Jews may claim exemption from service. (Although some volunteer-- especially some of the Christian Arabs). 

Also another religion-- the Druze. Many Druze volunteer-- they generally tend to be more patriotic than many Jewish Israelis.

bbl-1
Professor Quiet
2  bbl-1    4 years ago

Perhaps the 'problem was not with the christian content---but rather with the 'so called christian's themselves.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1  Krishna  replied to  bbl-1 @2    4 years ago
Perhaps the 'problem was not with the christian content---but rather with the 'so called christian's themselves.

Of course not all members of any religion are all alike. (Well, except for Scientology-- because they are all total wackos!) But then again, IMO they're not a real religion-- rather they're a very dangerous cult that worships the Devil*..)

*As most religiousn people lnow-- the Devil is really one helluva sneaky SOB-- he can appear in many forms....

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2.1    4 years ago
"he can appear in many forms...."

Yep, even as Al Pacino in the movie Devil's Advocate.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.2  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.1    4 years ago
Yep, even as Al Pacino in the movie Devil's Advocate.

I missed that one-- was it literally about athe Devil-- or was that just a figure of speech?

(One of my all time favourite movies, which not about Gods or Devils does have a strong mystical component, is Bell, Book and Candle-- but then I've always been a big fan of Magic)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2.1.2    4 years ago

He played a human form of the devil, named John Milton (I don't know if there is any significance to that name) and he exercised the powers of the devil notwithstanding his human form.  Figures he was a lawyer.  LOL. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.3    4 years ago

I used to date a lawyer. She told me a lot of lawyer jokes. (Some were really nasty-- but most were hysterically funny as well).

She was one of the smartest people I've ever met.

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1.5  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @2.1.3    4 years ago
John Milton (I don't know if there is any significance to that name)

The guy probably used to visit the Lost and Found a lot I imagine.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.6  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2.1.4    4 years ago

I very much enjoy lawyer jokes - of course they're nasty, but maybe in many cases it's the truth.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.1.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @2.1.5    4 years ago

LOL.  Notwithstanding I majored in English Literature for my B.A., I had forgotten what John Milton was famous for and had to look it up.  Actually the name in the movie makes sense - attributing the character playing the devil with the name of the person who wrote Paradise Lost.   

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2  Krishna  replied to  bbl-1 @2    4 years ago

Perhaps the 'problem was not with the christian content---but rather with the 'so called christian's themselves.

Wow, funny you should mention that! Because I sometimes just browse thru YouTube videos, and just today I came across this video that's related to that. (John Oliver-- one of the brilliant comedians we have today IMO).

Televangelists: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)

Watching it, at times I literally LOL'd, but it also quite informative. (I discovered how and why some of the predatory scams are quite legal under U.S. law).

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.2.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @2.2    4 years ago

As part of his investigations re; televangelism, John Oliver actually sets up his own church(all quite legal). What follows is pretty amazing-- and very, very funny. You can see some of his hijinks in this video.

FLYNAVY1
Professor Guide
2.2.2  FLYNAVY1  replied to  Krishna @2.2    4 years ago

"Praise the Lord and pass the plates."  Baby needs a new set of turbofans.....  

devangelical
Professor Principal
3  devangelical    4 years ago

after reading the recent doomsday forecasts by NT's most prominent evangelical authority, seems like the thumpers feel the need to get ahead of the curve in their efforts towards getting jews to bend a knee before the electoral defeat of their chosen political savior ushers in the end of the world.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

There is religious freedom in Israel, all faiths have the right to practice their faith there, BUT to proselytize i.e. to attempt to convert anyone away from their faith simply is not allowed.  Jews do NOT proselytize, and in fact it isn't easy at all to even convert to Judaism.  Israel may tolerate many faiths, but it is the Jewish State, the Homeland for the Jews, and in Rome one should not do as the Romans do not do. 

Note:  Jews for Jesus do NOT practise Judaism, they practise Christianity and so are Christians, even if they are Jews by ancestry.

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    4 years ago
Jews do NOT proselytize,

I discovered that a while back.

Much of the evil that religion has perpetrated through the ages has been been of religious commandments  to convert others. IMO there's nothing wrong with presenting the "merits" of your religion to others (to those who are voluntarily choosing to listen)-- but often people get over-zealous and if you refuse to convert they kill you!

(Or use some gruesome tortures first, as was the case with the Inquisition.

There's are thingsd I like as well as dislike about various religions, but here I Judaism points fro not preaching the need for conversions.

(I'm not sure about this-- Buzz would probably know-- but IIRC Judaisim actively discourages people from converting...???)

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
4.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @4.1    4 years ago

I don't know if they actually "discourage" it, but it is not encouraged.  I doubt that any Jew would even suggest to a non-Jew that they should convert, and as I already said, it is not at all made easy to convert.  

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.1.2  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4.1.1    4 years ago
as I already said, it is not at all made easy to convert.  

That's what I meant when I said "discourage". 

I don't know if its true, But I heard that if someone goes to a Rabbi to convert, they are discouraged. (Some other religions do that as well. For example, IIRC, the Yazidis.)

Krishna
Professor Expert
4.2  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @4    4 years ago

Jews for Jesus do NOT practise Judaism, they practise Christianity and so are Christians, even if they are Jews by ancestry.

Or perhaps many of them pretend to be of Jewish ancestry! 

(As you can probably guess, I', not a big fan of any group that is heavily involved with converting anyone to their religion.

For starters they tend to be oeverly self-righteous....and often condescending)

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
5  Account Deleted    4 years ago

So - yes they are not trying to convert Jewish  people to Christianity but they are trying to convince them that Jesus  Christ is their  long awaited Messiah.

I'm sure there is a distinction there - I just lack the PhD in Sophistry necessary to understand it.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
5.1  Account Deleted  replied to  Account Deleted @5    4 years ago

Sorry - here is the link to their statement about God-TV

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Account Deleted @5.1    4 years ago

Interesting link. Sounds to me like they're a lot like "Jews for Jesus".???

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.2  Krishna  replied to  Account Deleted @5    4 years ago

So - yes they are not trying to convert Jewish  people to Christianity but they are trying to convince them that Jesus  Christ is their  long awaited Messiah.

I'm no expert on western religions, and while various Christian sects may be different, but I believe that if you accept Jesus as your Saviour (accept Him as the Lord)-- then you're a Christian!

(I've read some stuff about Jews and whole Messiah thing,,,but I don't remember it :-(

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
5.2.1  Account Deleted  replied to  Krishna @5.2    4 years ago

It was 2 or 3 years after the death of Christ, I believe, before  converts were referred to as Christians . Some Jews who believe every thing necessary to be classified as Christians refer to themselves as  Messianic Jews. The Israeli Supreme Court says they are Christians. This is not to be confused with some churches that call themselves Christian but do not follow the Nicene and Apostles' Creeds so get classified as a cult by those who do follow the doctrine.

I'll stop now - I can see your eyes glazing over.

Kavika
Professor Principal
6  Kavika     4 years ago

Oh no, one of our erstwhile members that claim Christian persecution in the US will now have to deal with more persecution in a country that he supports. ////s