╌>

U.S. sets record for new coronavirus cases, surpassing 55,000 new cases in a single day

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  krishna  •  4 years ago  •  51 comments

By:   By Kim Bellware, Siobhán O'Grady, Hamza Shaban, Hannah Knowles, Jacqueline Dupree, Felicia Sonmez, Colby Itkowitz, Steven Goff and Michael Brice-Saddler

U.S. sets record for new coronavirus cases, surpassing 55,000 new cases in a single day
Georgia, one of the first states to loosen restrictions, joined Florida and several other states in setting single-day records of new cases.

Important Related Article:

E.U. Coronavirus Safe List: This Is Why The U.S. Was Nowhere Near Making The Cut

The E.U. chose 15 countries where COVID-19 is under control enough to accept nonessential travel from those places. This is why the U.S. isn't among them.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) on July 2 issued a statewide mandate requiring Texans to wear masks in public in any county with 20 or more positive covid-19 cases. (Gov. Greg Abbott)

• The United States reported 55,220 new coronavirus cases Thursday, surpassing Wednesday’s record of 52,789, previously the largest single-day total since the start of the pandemic.
  • Florida on Thursday reported 10,109 new cases of the coronavirus, marking a new single-day record for the state, which reported 6,563 cases on Wednesday. There were 68 deaths, for a total of 3,718.
  • It’s the 25th consecutive day that Florida has set a record high in its seven-day rolling average.
  • Georgia , one of the first states to loosen restrictions, joined Florida and several other states in setting single-day records of new cases. Georgia reported 3,472, up from 2,976 on Wednesday.
  • In Texas, Gov. Greg Abbott (R) on Thursday issued a statewide mandate requiring Texans to wear masks in public in any county with 20 or more positive covid-19 cases — a dramatic move that comes as cases in the state continue to climb. On Thursday, Texas in a single day reported 7,915 new cases of the coronavirus.

Here are additional significant developments:

• During an event in Florida, Vice President Pence sought to distinguish the surge of coronavirus cases across the Sun Belt from the larger pandemic that shut down the country. “It’s not one large pandemic, but rather pandemics that emerge individually,” Pence said.
  • Former Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain has been hospitalized after testing positive for the coronavirus, according to a statement posted to his Twitter account Thursday. The announcement comes almost two weeks after Cain joined thousands of people at President Trump’s Tulsa campaign rally.
  • Anthony S. Fauci, the country’s top infectious-disease expert, attributed rising case numbers in the United States at least partially to the fact lockdown measures were more lenient than those in some European countries that have since managed to turn the tide on the virus.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Krishna
Professor Expert
1  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

The United States reported 55,220 new coronavirus cases Thursday, surpassing Wednesday’s record of 52,789, previously the largest single-day total since the start of the pandemic.

Florida on Thursday reported 10,109 new cases of the coronavirus, marking a new single-day record for the state.

Georgia , one of the first states to loosen restrictions, joined Florida and several other states in setting single-day records of new cases.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

During an event in Florida, Vice President Pence sought to distinguish the surge of coronavirus cases across the Sun Belt from the larger pandemic that shut down the country. “It’s not one large pandemic, but rather pandemics that emerge individually,” Pence said.

"Not one large pandemic but rather pandemics that emerge individually? I'm sure that will make the dead and dying, as well as their families, feel a lot better!"

/sarcasm

Some kind of a nutcase Vice President Pence is!!!!

Krishna
Professor Expert
4  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

Former Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain has been hospitalized after testing positive for the coronavirus. 

The announcement comes almost two weeks after Cain joined thousands of people at President Trump’s Tulsa campaign rally. 

Surprise, surprise! A rally at which most of those in attendance didn't wear a mask (and of course Trump himself has steadfastly refused to wear a mask....and people wonder why those in the area get infected)

Krishna
Professor Expert
5  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

Related:

Students in Alabama threw COVID contest parties

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. (AP) — Several college students in an Alabama city organized “COVID-19” parties as a contest to see who would get the virus first, an official said.

Students hosted the parties to intentionally infect each other with the new   coronavirus. . .  party organizers purposely invited guests who tested positive for COVID-19. She said the students put money in a pot and whoever got COVID first would get the cash.

Tuscaloosa Fire Chief Randy Smith told the City Council on Tuesday that The Fire Department thought the parties were rumors, but Smith said after some research, officials discovered they were real.

“Not only do the doctors’ offices confirm it but the state confirmed they also had the same information,” Smith said.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
5.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @5    4 years ago

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6  It Is ME    4 years ago

What happened to counting "Deaths". Not really relevant any more ? jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @6    4 years ago

Nope.

As you mentioned, there's not a single mention of deaths anywhere in the so-called "Mainstream media"!

. . . marking a new single-day record for the state, which reported 6,563 cases on Wednesday. There were 68 deaths, for a total of 3,718.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.2.1  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @6.2    4 years ago
As you mentioned, there's not a single mention of deaths anywhere in the so-called "Mainstream media"!

That's a good thing. jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

"Now comes the day of just getting sick like normal". jrSmiley_15_smiley_image.gif

What about "The Flu". Apparently it's been eradicated ? jrSmiley_87_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @6.2.1    4 years ago
Now comes the day of just getting sick like normal".

Nope-- that's just more "Fake News".

(Perhaps people are spending too much time watching so-called  "mainstream media" sites like Fox News???)

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.2.3  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @6.2.2    4 years ago
(Perhaps people are spending too much time watching so-called  "mainstream media" sites like Fox News???)

Just Fox News ?

We want "Death Counts", We Want "Death Counts", We want ........ jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.4  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @6.2.3    4 years ago
Just Fox News ?

Yup.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.2.5  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @6.2.4    4 years ago
Yup.

Trevor Noah your thing ?

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.6  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @6.2.3    4 years ago
We want "Death Counts", We Want "Death Counts", We want .

jrSmiley_91_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
6.2.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @6.2.5    4 years ago

???

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.2.8  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @6.2.7    4 years ago

I Believe ! jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
6.2.9  Greg Jones  replied to  It Is ME @6.2.1    4 years ago

I think they are lumping in the "seasonal flu" numbers to make it look worse than it is. Isn't the death rate below 1%, about the same as the seasonal variety?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
6.2.10  It Is ME  replied to  Greg Jones @6.2.9    4 years ago
I think they are lumping in the "seasonal flu" numbers to make it look worse than it is.

The Media says they aren't, but who the Fuck knows what's real or not anymore with them.

"Isn't the death rate below 1%, about the same as the seasonal variety?"

That's why "Death Rates" aren't the talk of the town anymore. Wouldn't be "Prudent" ...... TO THE CAUSE ! jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
7  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

And disregard for wearing masks and other preventive measures continues to get crazier and crazier:

Pence's Arizona Trip Was Delayed By Secret Service Agents Getting COVID-19

Trump himself refuses to wear a mask, social distance or take other sensible measures. I wouldn't be surprised if hwe's the "Super-Spreader" who passed the disease on to them!

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @7    4 years ago
Trump himself refuses to wear a mask, social distance or take other sensible measures. I wouldn't be surprised if hwe's the "Super-Spreader" who passed the disease on to them!

But Dr. Fauci said.......... Masks ......... Could do more harm than good.

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @7.1    4 years ago

Could do more harm than good.

When was that?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.2  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @7.1.1    4 years ago

February 14, 2020 !

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.2    4 years ago

February 14, 2020 !

Link?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.4  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @7.1.3    4 years ago

February:

Top disease official: Risk of coronavirus in USA is 'minuscule'; skip mask and wash hands

March:

Weird Huh ? jrSmiley_123_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
7.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.4    4 years ago

Is that what they mean by "follow the science--listen to the experts"?

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.6  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @7.1.5    4 years ago
Is that what they mean by "follow the science--listen to the experts"?

Apparently ! jrSmiley_80_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
7.1.7  seeder  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @7.1.6    4 years ago

You might be right.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
7.1.8  It Is ME  replied to  Krishna @7.1.7    4 years ago

So many "Changes", so little time.

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
7.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Krishna @7    4 years ago

Trump is tested daily. Why wear a mask if he has no symptoms. In reality masks offer little protection...distancing is much more effective.

Optics is everything, Biden looks silly and fearful hiding behind a black mask.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
8  Paula Bartholomew    4 years ago

The US has too many selfish assholes when it comes to common sense measures for containment.  If they were only infecting themselves then I would not be worried but they put me at risk every hour of every day.  I will keep on staying home, wearing a mask, and only go out when I have to.  It isn't fair but what can I do.

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8    4 years ago
The US has too many selfish assholes when it comes to common sense measures for containment. 

Yup:

Herman Cain Hospitalized With Coronavirus After Trump Rally In Tulsa

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.2  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8    4 years ago

The US has too many selfish assholes when it comes to common sense measures for containment.

Yes-- and apparently dear Leader's so-called "rally" @ Mt Rushmore not only refuses to make it mandatory to wear masks-- but also totally ignores the need for social distancing.

Many "people are saying" that may eventually result in more dead selfish assholes-- which is not a kind thing to say!

(But of course those that catch the virus there don't all live in the Dakotas-- they are Trump sycophants from all over the U.S.....many will be going home and further spread the Virus :-( 

Krishna
Professor Expert
8.3  seeder  Krishna  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @8    4 years ago

It isn't fair but what can I do.

Well yesterday I heard Pence say that we have the virus  under control-- so that will probably change soon.

Krishna
Professor Expert
9  seeder  Krishna    4 years ago

Update, July 3: 

Coronavirus Cases Soar as Fauci Warns New Mutation May Cause Virus to Spread More Easily

The coronavirus may also be spreading more easily. Fauci warned that a new strain of the virus that is dominant around the world could contain a mutation that allows it to spread more easily. Although research is still under way. 

There’s little dispute about it,” Fauci said.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
10  The Magic 8 Ball    4 years ago

BY INCLUDING BOTH ACTIVE CASES WITH CASES OF INDIVIDUALS WHO HAD THE CHINA CORONAVIRUS IN THE PAST, THE CDC IS GROSSLY OVERSTATING THE NUMBER OF ACTIVE CASES IN THE US.

Krishna
Professor Expert
10.1  seeder  Krishna  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @10    4 years ago

Gateway Pundit?

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.2  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  The Magic 8 Ball @10    4 years ago
CHINA CORONAVIRUS?

A Trump impersonator. You should go on TV.

The Magic 8 Ball
Masters Quiet
10.2.1  The Magic 8 Ball  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.2    4 years ago

LOL  I did not write that article...

[Deleted]

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
10.2.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.2    4 years ago
CHINA CORONAVIRUS?

Yep, that's where it came from, and was perhaps created there. That's what most of the world believes.

Denial is a terrible thing for a mind to waste.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Greg Jones @10.2.2    4 years ago

I don't deny that it is alleged to have started in China.   I should ignore the fact that SOME Americans [Deleted] do not follow the advice that the rest of the world does to NOT put geographical names to diseases or viruses, as that foments xenophobia, hatred and has already proven in the USA to have caused harrassment and endangerment to Asian Americans, [Deleted]

Gazoo
Junior Silent
10.2.4  Gazoo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.2.3    4 years ago

“do not follow the advice that the rest of the world does to NOT put geographical names to diseases or viruses,”

what about ebola? Zika? West nile? Lyme disease? There are many more named after geographical places. china was sloppy and untruthful at the start Of the pandemic, why should they get special treatment? 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.2.5  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gazoo @10.2.4    4 years ago

Special treatment?  No, going against international guidelines is "special treatment", especially when the intention for doing so is obvious enough for a child to understand.  It's not going to help.  Deflecting from Trump's negligence will not get him reelected. 

Gazoo
Junior Silent
10.2.6  Gazoo  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.2.5    4 years ago

As i said, there are many diseases named after geographical regions. Why is it not ok to name covid-19 for the region in which it originated? 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2.7  Texan1211  replied to  Gazoo @10.2.6    4 years ago

Because the truth hurts feelings.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.2.8  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Gazoo @10.2.6    4 years ago

naming -trnd

Yes, we long have referred to disease outbreaks by geographic places. Here's why we shouldn't anymore. By Harmeet Kaur, CNN. Updated 4:50 AM ET, Sat March 28, 2020

Despite repeated advice from the medical community that   naming   diseases   after their place of origin has   no   benefit and actually causes harm, President Donald Trump and some conservative media figures continue to use the phrase “Chinese Virus” to describe the new coronavirus.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.2.9  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @10.2.7    4 years ago
"There have been reports throughout the country about anti-Asian attacks since the COVID-19 pandemic began. But the number of incidents began to rise sharply after President Trump started calling the coronavirus "the Chinese virus," according to Russell Jeung, an Asian American studies professor at San Francisco State University."

It's nice and safe to be white, eh Tex?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2.10  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.2.9    4 years ago
It's nice and safe to be white, eh Tex?

Yep! And I damn sure won't be apologizing for it, either, nor made to feel guilty by some yahoos. And it isn't something I can change--not that I want to.

Say--aren't YOU white, too?

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.2.11  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @10.2.10    4 years ago

I never expected you to apologize for the pain being caused to Asian Americans - after all, you're a Trump supporter and WHATEVER he does must be supported and not contradicted (O'Donnell Republican playbook).

I may be visibly white, but I'm also a member of a minority that has historically and continues to suffer the worst discrimination ever imposed by others, including slavery and attempted (and almost successful) annihilation, and have experienced it enough personally to know it when I see it.  As well, I love my wife and even YOU are probably protective of your wife. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2.12  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.2.11    4 years ago

sorry. just not in the habit of apologizing for stuff I don't do. seems rather pointless and very stupid to me..

if you feel like it, you can do it on my behalf

no idea what the hell you're talking about some mythical playbook you think some go by, but if you have an issue with them, take it up with them.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
10.2.13  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Texan1211 @10.2.12    4 years ago
"some mythical playbook"

Oh, you didn't know?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2.14  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.2.13    4 years ago

like I said earlier, if you have an issue with it, take it up with them.

I don't give a crap about that

Texan1211
Professor Principal
10.2.15  Texan1211  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @10.2.13    4 years ago

browsed through it. Mehta. nothing to get so worked up over, unless you think some of it is true, especially how China fucked up