╌>

Mexico closes border in Arizona as coronavirus cases in both countries surge

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  4 years ago  •  84 comments

By:   MSN

The Northern Mexican state of Sonora — which borders Arizona and a small portion of New Mexico — is toughening border restrictions this weekend as both regions experience a surge in coronavirus cases.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

The Northern Mexican state of Sonora - which borders Arizona and a small portion of New Mexico - is toughening border restrictions this weekend as both regions experience a surge in coronavirus cases.

In anticipation of the Fourth of July weekend, the state government announced plans to place filters at Sonora's main border cities to turn back tourists and those traveling for other nonessential purposes.

"We are all going to be on alert at this time to prevent them from coming, whether they are Mexicans living in the U.S., Americans or those who want to come to spend the weekend and put a greater burden on us regarding COVID," Senora Gov. Claudia Pavlovich said in a statement to the Arizona Daily Star.

Sonoran Health Secretary Enrique Clausen said on Twitter Wednesday that he intended to seek more restrictive, temporary controls for nonessential travel. Clausen has himself tested positive for the virus.

"I will request the State Health Council to ask the Mexican Health and Foreign Affairs Council to temporarily close the United States border to Sonora to avoid and reduce COVID-19 infections," he said.

As it stands, the U.S. has restrictions on nonessential U.S.-bound traffic from Mexico. The restrictions Clausen is calling for in Sonora would do the same for Mexico-bound traffic from the U.S.

A spokesperson for Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey (R) told the Star in a Thursday email that the governor's office is also discouraging citizens to travel during the Fourth of July weekend.

Arizona is currently one of the states most affected by the virus, and Sonora has begun to see a rise in cases, as well.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

Mexico is telling us to stay out?  My dude Trump just can't catch a break.  

Ronin2
Professor Quiet
1.1  Ronin2  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    4 years ago

Right, Mexico is telling the US to stay out. If that is the case they would shut down their entire border with the US.

What I find is funny is that Mexico does have the capability of shutting it down, they just choose not to.

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Ronin2 @1.1    4 years ago
What I find is funny is that Mexico does have the capability of shutting it down

LOL!!! 

jrSmiley_86_smiley_image.gif

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.2  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    4 years ago

mexico wants to flatten the curve on trump's revived covfefe virus

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.2.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @1.2    4 years ago
mexico wants to flatten the curve on trump's revived covfefe virus

Long live the Trump-initiated great State of Covfefe!

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.4  Krishna  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    4 years ago

Perhaps Mexico should build a wall, (to keep protect themselves from infected gringos from entering their country and spreading the virus?)

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.4.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @1.4    4 years ago

Perhaps Mexico should build a wall, (to keep protect themselves from infected gringos from entering their country and spreading the virus?)

Some might object that building a wall on the U.S. border might be too expensive for Mexico-- but as most Mexicans know-- they will have no problem getting the U.S. will pay for it!

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
2  Sean Treacy    4 years ago

Considering people  fleeing the outbreak in Mexico already caused a massive outbreak in Imperial Valley in California, it's a little too late. 

But by all means, let's keep the border shut. Mexico City has been hit as hard as New York. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
2.1  Krishna  replied to  Sean Treacy @2    4 years ago
Mexico City has been hit as hard as New York. 

Two facts that you are missing:

1. Mexico city is no where nearn the border

2. While new cases in most U.S. states are in creasing every day-- case in New Have been dereasing ...for some time now!

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

Canada's borders are closed to Americans as well.  And so are Europe's.  And I'll bet that even China doesn't exactly welcome Americans these days  How does it feel to be so unwanted?

charger 383
Professor Silent
3.1  charger 383  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    4 years ago

Not bad at all

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.1.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  charger 383 @3.1    4 years ago

LOL.  Okay.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.2  Texan1211  replied to  charger 383 @3.1    4 years ago

Perhaps they think we should feel bad about it?

Hell, I say keep the borders closed until the whole thing is all over, and then some more.

Let people wishing to immigrate do so legally.

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.1.3  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @3.1.2    4 years ago
I say keep the borders closed until the whole thing is all over,

Well apparently the entire EU feels that way-- because that's exactly what they're doing!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.1.4  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @3.1.3    4 years ago

great

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3  It Is ME  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    4 years ago
How does it feel to be so unwanted?

Doing AOK !

Do they REALLY not want us ?

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.1  Texan1211  replied to  It Is ME @3.3    4 years ago

Maybe.

But the world damn sure wants US dollars.

It Is ME
Masters Guide
3.3.2  It Is ME  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.1    4 years ago

That's a given. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.3.3  Krishna  replied to  It Is ME @3.3    4 years ago

Do they REALLY not want us ?

An excellent question. It is You!

But strange as it may seem-- no one actually knows!

European Union bars travelers from U.S.

The move is a sign of how the U.S. is seen by Europe and elsewhere as a global coronavirus hotbed

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.3.4  Krishna  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.1    4 years ago
But the world damn sure wants US dollars

And yet, strangely-- the U.S. (and especially the Trump Administration) does not want any money from other countries!

In fact the administration hopes not  to benefit financially from any trade deals!!!

Why? jrSmiley_26_smiley_image.gif

(Curious minds want to know!!!)

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.5  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.1    4 years ago

You must have missed the huge sigh of relief after China bought 3 new shipments of soybeans from the US.  

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.6  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @3.3.5    4 years ago

so the Chinese bought something.

stop the presses!

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.7  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @3.3.4    4 years ago

let's see how the world does next time there is a crisis. let's let them handle it all

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.8  Texan1211  replied to  Krishna @3.3.4    4 years ago

that is completely ridiculous

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.9  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.6    4 years ago

Whoosh, right over your head. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.10  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @3.3.9    4 years ago

lmao. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.11  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @3.3.9    4 years ago

Please, jot down any links you have to support the completely asinine theory that the Administration hopes to not  to benefit financially from any trade deals.

Should I wait, or will it never come?

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.12  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.11    4 years ago

Why are you asking me to support an 'asinine theory' I never stated Tex? 

I have no obligation to support your fabrications. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.13  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @3.3.12    4 years ago

Because you made the snide comment that it 'went over my head". So, since it isn't over your precious head, YOU explain what the fuck you really meant by that comment.

or not. I really don't care.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.14  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @3.3.12    4 years ago
I have no obligation to support your fabrications. 

And now you call my posts a lie. Point out the lie instead of just bleating on and on about nothing.

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.15  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.13    4 years ago
Because you made the snide comment that it 'went over my head".

Thanks for admitting that. 

So, since it isn't over your precious head, YOU explain what the fuck you really meant by that comment. or not. I really don't care.

Which comment would you like me to explain to you Tex? 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.16  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.14    4 years ago
And now you call my posts a lie. Point out the lie instead of just bleating on and on about nothing.

I pointed out your fabrication and you admitted that you asked me to support an 'asinine theory' that I never posited merely because you took umbrage. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.17  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @3.3.15    4 years ago
Thanks for admitting that. 

[Deleted] I admitted nothing, [Deleted]

Which comment would you like me to explain to your Tex? 

Already did. Not my fault it 'went over your head".

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.18  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @3.3.16    4 years ago
I pointed out your fabrication

[Deleted]

Shocking!

you admitted that you asked me to support an 'asinine theory' that I never posited merely because you took umbrage. 

[Deleted]

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.19  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.17    4 years ago
removed for context

Since your comment only needs 'rudimentary comprehension skills' to understand, no worries. 

I admitted nothing, removed for context

Really? Let's review:

I asked:

You replied:

Because you made the snide comment that it 'went over my head".

I'll put it to other members to decide who 'lied'. 

Already did. Not my fault it 'went over your head".

Actually, no you didn't but your petulance is noted. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.20  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.18    4 years ago

jrSmiley_84_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
3.3.21  Texan1211  replied to  Dulay @3.3.19    4 years ago

And baaaack to ignore you go!

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.3.22  Dulay  replied to  Texan1211 @3.3.21    4 years ago

Don't tease me. 

Krishna
Professor Expert
3.4  Krishna  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3    4 years ago
Canada's borders are closed to Americans as well.  And so are Europe's.  And I'll bet that even China doesn't exactly welcome Americans these days  How does it feel to be so unwanted?

Not as bad as one might think. (Most of us used to the world having a pretty negative impression of the U.S. since "Dear Leader" assumed office :-(

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.1  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Krishna @3.4    4 years ago

It goes back further than that.  I can recall that back in college days when American backpackers were touring Europe they would sew Canadian flags on their backpacks so as not to be identified as Americans.  When did the expression, or titile, The Ugly American get penned?

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.4.2  Sean Treacy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.1    4 years ago

Not surprising, bigots can be violent  and Europe has its share. As you've said, Americans in China have to pretend to be Canadian to escape being attacked by Chinese bigots. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.4.2    4 years ago

One not need to be a bigot to retaliate against those whose intent is to harm you. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.4.4  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.4.2    4 years ago
As you've said, Americans in China have to pretend to be Canadian to escape being attacked by Chinese bigots. 

Buzz never said that Sean. Why make shit up? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.4.5  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dulay @3.4.4    4 years ago

Yes, he did. Why gaslight the forum? In fact, he seemed to find it amusing.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.4.6  Sean Treacy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.3    4 years ago

If you think someone is out to harm you solely because of their nationality, yeah, you are a bigot.  

Americans can avoid harassment  by pretending to be Canadian, but pity the poor blacks in China  who have no such option.   

"Across African capitals, Chinese ambassadors are being hauled over by foreign ministries to explain horrid scenes that have gone viral on social media platforms of African migrants being evicted from apartments and refused entry into hotels.

"The videos have enraged governments and citizens back home."

The really scary part is they are exporting their racism:

RUIRU, Kenya — Before last year, Richard Ochieng’, 26, could not recall experiencing racism firsthand.

Not while growing up as an orphan in his village near Lake Victoria where everybody was, like him, black. Not while studying at a university in another part of Kenya. Not until his job search led him to Ruiru, a fast-growing settlement at the edge of the capital, Nairobi, where Mr. Ochieng’ found work at a Chinese motorcycle company that had just expanded to Kenya.

But then his new boss, a Chinese man his own age, started calling him a monkey.

It happened when the two were on a sales trip and spotted a troop of baboons on the roadside, he said.

“‘Your brothers,’” he said his boss exclaimed, urging Mr. Ochieng’ to share some bananas with the primates.

And it happened again, he said, with his boss referring to all Kenyans as primates.

Humiliated and outraged, Mr. Ochieng’ decided to record one of his boss’s rants, catching him declaring that Kenyans were “like a monkey people.”

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.7  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.4.5    4 years ago

1.  I spoke of EUROPE, not China, and the comment I made about backpackers was about a time generations ago.

2.  I also spoke about the present EU travel ban against Americans, and said I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF CHINA BANNED AMERICANS AS WELL, and IMO Trump has given them more cause to do so than just America's failure to contain the explosion of the virus there and the American disdain for doing what is necessary to contain it.  I did NOT say bigots would harass them. 

3.  At one time previously I did say that when I went out I would wear something to identify myself as Canadian so as to not be mistaken for an American, because Canadians were more welcome than Americans - but I did not say they would be harassed, harmed or detained.  These days, due to Canada's arrest of the Huawei CFO I think I might be better off pretending to be a Russian (which, believe it or not DOES happen to be my ancestry). 

I'M REALLY GETTING SICK OF THE TRUMPSTERS ON THIS SITE PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH THAT I DID NOT SAY.  But then, maybe it's all that they have to fall back on, knowing that their demi-god is about to be unseated, although in my opinion it would be more suitable to tar and feather him and run out on a rail.

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.4.8  Sean Treacy  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.7    4 years ago
spoke of EUROPE, not China, and the comment I made about backpackers was about a time generations ago.

You spoke about that happening in China a few months ago. I'm sure you won't make that mistake again.   

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.4.9  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.4.5    4 years ago
Yes, he did. Why gaslight the forum? In fact, he seemed to find it amusing.

That is a lie Sean. Just stop. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3.4.11  Trout Giggles  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.4.8    4 years ago

Is it too much to ask that you stick with what Buzz is presently discussing? IMO, bringing up something somebody said a few months ago borders on being severely off-topic

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.4.13  Dulay  replied to  XDm9mm @3.4.12    4 years ago
Relevance.  It does have much to do with what is being discussed.

Then shouldn't what was ACTUALLY said be what's relevant XD? Sean misrepresented Buzz's comment. PERIOD, full stop. Why encourage that bullshit? 

Sean Treacy
Professor Principal
3.4.14  Sean Treacy  replied to  Dulay @3.4.13    4 years ago
Sean misrepresented Buzz's comment.

No I didn't. Please stop gas lighting the forum. He can try walking it back all he wants, but he said it. 

He just admitted, again, the the Chinese treat Canadians better then Americans, just because of their nationality. Bigots gonna bigot. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
3.4.16  Dulay  replied to  Sean Treacy @3.4.14    4 years ago
No I didn't.

Yes you did.

Please stop gas lighting the forum.

Please stop misusing the term 'gaslighting'. 

He can try walking it back all he wants, but he said it.

First of all, Buzz did NOT say anything like that in THIS seed and bringing up shit from other seeds OUT OF CONTEXT is BAD FORM. 

Secondly, based on what Buzz said in THIS seed, NO HE DIDN"T. I have every reason to believe Buzz's characterization over your misrepresentation. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.17  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Release The Kraken @3.4.10    4 years ago

Have you ever considered writing fantasy and science fiction stories?  You're good at it.  Since you know my comment history so well, you will know that I have in fact been critical of the CCP, and also that I have pointed out why there is no way that the people, who are now quite content, already becoming if not already prosperous, have any complaint about their way of life, (save that millions DID complain about the silencing of the whistleblowing doctor, and contrary to your beliefs, they were not detained or even criticized for doing so). 

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
3.4.18  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @3.4.1    4 years ago

The Ugly American is a 1958 political novel by Eugene Burdick and William Lederer that depicts the failures of the US diplomatic corps in Southeast Asia.

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
3.4.19  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @3.4.18    4 years ago

Unfortunately for them, Trump and his diplomatic corps (especially Pompeo) are repeating it. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5  Tacos!    4 years ago

So it can be done and Mexico does have some control over it. That is, when they aren't trying to dump their (or other countries') unwanted citizens on the United States.

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1  Krishna  replied to  Tacos! @5    4 years ago
when they aren't trying to dump their (or other countries') unwanted citizens on the United States.

Actually at this point, given the YUGE daily spikes in new daily cases in Corona virus in the U,S.-- as well as spikes in the ever-increasing U.S. death toll-- I think a better question to ask might be:

when isn't the U.S.  trying to dump our infected citizens on the rest of the world?

By any chance are you aware of thing like this?

Coronavirus world map: which countries have the most Covid-19 cases and deaths?

Hint: The country with both the highest number of both cases as well as deaths is not Mexico!

Krishna
Professor Expert
5.1.1  Krishna  replied to  Krishna @5.1    4 years ago

when isn't the U.S.  trying to dump our infected citizens on the rest of the world?

By any chance are you aware of things like this?

Coronavirus world map: which countries have the most Covid-19 cases and deaths?

Hint: The country with both the highest number of both cases as well as deaths is not Mexico!

Can you guess which country it is?

Tacos!
Professor Guide
5.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  Krishna @5.1    4 years ago

Uh, wtf are you talking about?

The country with both the highest number of both cases as well as deaths is not Mexico!

So? Your observation is irrelevant to my comment. The whole country could be infected, but we aren't trying to dump them on anyone. Mexico, on the other hand, has a long history of encouraging its less productive people to go America, even if it means sneaking into the country.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
6  Nerm_L    4 years ago

Illegal immigrants do not respect the border.  And illegal immigrants travel in both directions.

When the flow of migrants back to Mexico carries money then the Mexican government turns a blind eye.  But now that the flow of migrants is carrying disease into Mexico the government tries to secure the border.  But don't ignore that the United States has been harmed in both cases.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
7  Ed-NavDoc    4 years ago

People did not read the 3rd paragraph of the seeded article. The Sonoran border between Mexico and the United States is not fully closed like the article implies. There is still pedestrian and vehicular traffic as well as commercial traffic passing through. The only criteria is tourist and non essential traffic proceeding on through to the interior of Mexico. I live on the AZ/Mexico border in Douglas, AZ. I see cars and pedestrians crossing all the time through the port of entry to Agua Prieta, Sonora. Many residents of Agua Prieta work in the U.S. and commute daily. There is a WalMart Super Center five blocks from the border for whom a large portion of it's customer base is from Mexico.

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8  Ed-NavDoc    4 years ago

Just in case nobody noticed, the photo of the U.S. Customs vehicle with the seeded article is not on the AZ/Mexico border. Look closely at the highway road signs in the background and you will see the names Syracuse and Waterford. Those are in upstate New York on the Canadian border..

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
8.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @8    4 years ago

Correction to above. Waterford is in Southern New York state.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9  MrFrost    4 years ago

My tweet from this morning...

V4LiMbde_bigger.jpg
Mr Frost
Under Kennedy we went to the moon, under trump we can't even go to Europe.
7:45 AM · Jul 5, 2020 · Twitter Web App
View Tweet activity

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
9.1  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  MrFrost @9    4 years ago

Hello Frosty! Have not heard from you in a while. Hope all is well with you and yours and that you had a happy 4th of July.

Pretty sure that is only a temporary setback until Covid-19 situation settles down. Our space program is still on track for the manned Orion launches to and from the ISS and beyond. A good evening to you Sir.

MrFrost
Professor Expert
9.1.1  MrFrost  replied to  Ed-NavDoc @9.1    4 years ago

Had a good holiday. Worked on the property, cleaned and went to bed by 8pm. Hope you are doing well.

The point I was trying to make, (more of a play on words, to be fair), was that we used to be able to venture out of the country for vacations, work, etc. Now? We can't go to Europe, Mexico or Canada, (looks like I got that trip to Italy done just in time). Is it all trump's fault? No. It isn't. But the response to Covid in the USA was absolutely on him. I'll leave it at that.

I spend most of my free time on Twitter. Never much cared for it when I first created an account, but it does grow on ya. Have made some really good friends on there as well, some local, some very not local. 

I guess I posted that tweet here a little bit early, I didn't think it would amount to much, was more of a tongue-n-cheek tweet than anything else. I went to bed with it just sneaking past 40,000 likes, woke up this morning to 98,000 likes, (and still getting ~2-3 thousand every 30 mins or so).. The analytics say it was seen 1,715,000 times with 175,000 interactions. Not trying to brag, I am frankly shocked myself. Somehow I managed to end up with a little over 8,200 followers as well. 

I still say that Twitter is the ultimate place for people with huge ego's who want nothing more than for people to pay attention to them. I'm not a big ego kinda guy so I rarely pay attention to likes, but gotta admit, I did slap myself on the back for that one. 

Just in the time it took me to type this out, it has crept it's way past 100,000 likes. 

Stay safe my friend. All my best to you and yours.  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
9.1.2  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  MrFrost @9.1.1    4 years ago

And to you as well. Semper Fi good Sir.