╌>

Image of Thomas Jefferson alongside Black descendant holds 'a mirror' to America

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  13 comments

By:   Shamar Walters and Maia Davis

Image of Thomas Jefferson alongside Black descendant holds 'a mirror' to America
An image of Founding Father Thomas Jefferson alongside one of his Black descendants, Shannon LaNier, is from a Smithsonian Magazine piece, "American Descendants," that LaNier says holds a mirror to the U.S.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Shannon LaNier, a ninth-generation descendant of Founding Father Thomas Jefferson and his slave, Sally Hemings, wore the same sort of outfit as his famous ancestor for a Smithsonian Magazine piece, "American Descendants."

But LaNier, who is Black, said in the article in the magazine's July issue that he chose not to wear a wig for his likeness of his great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather.

"I didn't want to become Jefferson," LaNier said. "My ancestor had his dreams — and now it's up to all of us living in America today to make sure no one is excluded from the promise of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

LaNier, a TV host in Houston who co-authored a book about his family, "Jefferson's Children: The Story of One American Family," also said of the third U.S. president, "He was a brilliant man who preached equality, but he didn't practice it. He owned people. And now I'm here because of it."

The Smithsonian article features pictures by British photographer Drew Gardner who about 15 years ago started tracking down descendants of famous Europeans such as Napoleon and Charles Dickens to see if they would "pose as their famous forebears in portraits he was recreating," the article said.

Then Gardner thought of the U.S.

"For all its travails, America is the most brilliant idea," the photographer is quoted as saying. Gardner "especially wanted to challenge the idea that history is 'white and male,'" the article said.

Other famous Americans featured alongside their descendants in the piece are Frederick Douglass and Elizabeth Cady Stanton.

LaNier posted the photos of himself and Jefferson on Instagram, saying the magazine article "is helping hold a mirror" to America,.

The side-by-side images show that Jefferson "not only took part in creating this country but also it's people... black, white, brown, yellow & red!" LaNier wrote.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Kavika
Professor Principal
1  Kavika     4 years ago

.. I say it with a sad sense of the disparity between us. I am not included within the pale of this glorious anniversary! Your high independence only reveals the immeasurable distance between us.

Fredrick Douglas

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
2  Nerm_L    4 years ago

So, why has Shannon LaNier chosen to celebrate his legacy of slavery?  Why does Shannon LaNier want to be seen as a slave-American?

Not all Black people in the United States are descendants of slaves in the United States.  Attempting to make Black-American the equivalent of slave-American would be a dishonest rewriting of the history of the United States.  The heritage that Shannon LaNier chooses to celebrate is not shared by all Black people in the United States.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1  Dulay  replied to  Nerm_L @2    4 years ago

Nothing in your comment is implied in the seed in any way. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
2.1.1  Nerm_L  replied to  Dulay @2.1    4 years ago
Nothing in your comment is implied in the seed in any way. 

In the article Shannon LaNier is saying that he is here today because Thomas Jefferson owned people. 

Note that Drew Gardner is not Shannon LaNier.  The article is presenting two viewpoints.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
2.1.2  sandy-2021492  replied to  Nerm_L @2.1.1    4 years ago

He stated the fact that he's here because Jefferson owned people. Stating a fact is not celebrating that fact.

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.3  Dulay  replied to  Nerm_L @2.1.1    4 years ago
In the article Shannon LaNier is saying that he is here today because Thomas Jefferson owned people. 

Why yes, YES he did Nerm. Yet he didn't choose 'to celebrate his legacy of slavery' nor is there any indication that he wanted 'to be seen as a slave-American'. 

Note that Drew Gardner is not Shannon LaNier.  The article is presenting two viewpoints.

Yet with two viewpoints to choose to from, you chose neither and fabricated one to blather about. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
2.1.4  Nerm_L  replied to  Dulay @2.1.3    4 years ago
Why yes, YES he did Nerm. Yet he didn't chose 'to celebrate his legacy of slavery' nor is there any indication that he wanted 'to be seen as a slave-American'. 

Didn't read the seeded article, did you?  Or are you only seeing what you want to see?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.5  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Nerm_L @2.1.4    4 years ago

Nerm,

I posted this article because I thought it celebrated the American dream. Did you miss this quote?

LaNier said. "My ancestor had his dreams — and now it's up to all of us living in America today to make sure no one is excluded from the promise of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness."

We have come to a point in history where he can realize what his 9 time great grandfather vision he wrote about in our Declaration. Isn't that a sweet victory?

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.6  Dulay  replied to  Nerm_L @2.1.4    4 years ago
Didn't read the seeded article, did you? 

Yes I did. I also read your comment and called out it's inaccuracy.  

Or are you only seeing what you want to see?

Not at all. 

Oh and I'm not the one that had to fabricate a non-existant false narrative. 

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.7  Dulay  replied to  Nerm_L @2.1.4    4 years ago

I also note that as with all too many conservatives here on NT, you've devolved from addressing my comments to expressing your negative opinion of ME. Bravo. 

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
2.1.8  Nerm_L  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1.5    4 years ago
We have come to a point in history where he can realize what his 9 time great grandfather vision he wrote about in our Declaration. Isn't that a sweet victory?

As I pointed out, Shannon LaNier is celebrating a romanticized narrative of unfilled promise.  But is the promise of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness a promise of equal circumstance and equal outcome?

Is the promise of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness really a promise of equality?

Dulay
Professor Expert
2.1.9  Dulay  replied to  Nerm_L @2.1.8    4 years ago
As I pointed out, Shannon LaNier is celebrating a romanticized narrative of unfilled promise. 

Actually Nerm, you never mentioned that until now. I suppose you're deflecting because you can't support your prior posts. 

But is the promise of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness a promise of equal circumstance and equal outcome?

Your question is irrelevant to this topic but I'll answer it anyway. No. 

Is the promise of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness really a promise of equality?

Again, irrelevant to this topic and NO. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1.10  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Nerm_L @2.1.8    4 years ago

You tell me Nerm. These are the words from Declaration of Independence written by his 9X great grandfather:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.