╌>

Charlie Daniels, Country Music Hall of Famer known for 'Devil Went Down to Georgia,' dies at 83

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  xdm9mm  •  4 years ago  •  8 comments

By:   MSN

Charlie Daniels, Country Music Hall of Famer known for 'Devil Went Down to Georgia,' dies at 83
Charlie Daniels, a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame best known for "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," has died at age 83.

Another great leaves this earth.

Rest in peace Charlie!

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

BBNvr6N.img?h=24&w=24&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f&f=png Charlie Daniels, Country Music Hall of Famer known for 'Devil Went Down to Georgia,' dies at 83

Charlie Daniels, a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame best known for "The Devil Went Down to Georgia," died Monday morning after suffering a hemorrhagic stroke. He was 83.

Daniels' death was confirmed by his publicist, Don Murry Grubbs, to The Tennessean, part of the USA TODAY Network. He is survived by his wife, Hazel, and son Charlie Daniels, Jr.

By the time the Charlie Daniels Band topped the charts with "Devil" in 1979, the instrumentalist, singer and songwriter had long established a remarkable, multifaceted career in Music City. As a session musician, he played on three of Bob Dylan's albums — including the revolutionary "Nashville Skyline" — as well as recordings for Ringo Starr, Leonard Cohen, Tammy Wynette and other luminaries.

From there he built his own career as Grammy-winning singer, entertainer, songwriter and fiddle virtuoso. He's migrated from an earlier countercultural stance epitomized on "Long Haired Country Boy" to become an advocate for patriotism and the military.

On his 2016 album "Night Hawk", Daniels honored an often neglected branch in country's family tree. "I'd wanted to do an album of cowboy songs for a decade or longer," he told USA TODAY at the time. "But I didn't want to get involved with the cowboy as portrayed in the movies. I wanted to get involved in the working cowboy's life… To me, that was kind of our Knights of the Round Table era.

"But even now, if you went to a foreign country and asked them 'What is your prototype of American history?' They'd probably think of the cowboy, the guy with the big hat, the spurs and the big boots."

In other words, a guy pretty much like Daniels.

In 1974, he launched the first "Volunteer Jam," an all-star concert that has continued for nearly 50 years. With The Journey Home Project, he helped raise money for veteran assistance including donating $50,000 to the Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center to help U.S. military veterans battling cancer.

Daniels joined the Grand Ole Opry in 2008, and was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2016.

Bob Doerschuk, Cindy Watts

This article originally appeared on Nashville Tennessean: Charlie Daniels, Country Music Hall of Famer known for 'Devil Went Down to Georgia,' dies at 83

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3  Ed-NavDoc    4 years ago

Another legend passes! One of the greatest fiddle players ever. RIP Sir!

charger 383
Professor Silent
4  charger 383    4 years ago

Many years ago, I was an Auxiliary Deputy Sheriff and I did his security when he appeared at our county fair.  He seemed very nice and put on a great show 

TTGA
Professor Silent
4.1  TTGA  replied to  charger 383 @4    4 years ago

Charger, I was one of the Deputies assigned to guard Louise Mandrell when she did a concert up here.  Amazing how she had about 20 cops clustered around "guarding" her while her husband had to settle for the two guys that the Sergeant didn't like.