╌>

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott needs your help to beat the coronavirus: Wear a mask

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  sister-mary-agnes-ample-bottom  •  4 years ago  •  136 comments

By:   MSN

As the COVID-19 pandemic rages in Texas and much of the nation, President Donald Trump says he hopes the virus will simply vanish. That would be ideal for Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, who's faced with mitigating the increase of coronavirus cases as more residents are going back to work, eating at restaurants, shopping at stores and congregating for leisure activities. The rate of positive test ...

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

As the COVID-19 pandemic rages in Texas and much of the nation, President Donald Trump says he hopes the virus will simply vanish.

That would be ideal for Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, who's faced with mitigating the increase of coronavirus cases as more residents are going back to work, eating at restaurants, shopping at stores and congregating for leisure activities.

The rate of positive test cases in Texas is nearing 15%. In May, after much of the state had stayed at home to avoid being exposed to the virus, the rate of positive tests was under 5%.

Last week for the first time, Dallas County recorded over 1,000 cases in one day. And statewide cases have seen extraordinary increases, making much of Texas a national hot spot for COVID-19.

Abbott reopened the economy, and for a little while the pandemic seemed under control. But after the Memorial Day holiday and a decision to move from phase one with seemingly warp speed, the coronavirus reared with a vengeance.

Abbott is up against it.

He's mindful of the people who are off work or lost their jobs. In his view, the economic pain is as devastating has the health concerns brought by the virus.

That's why the governor won't shut down the economy for a second time. He's also resisting giving local governments the power to send residents back to shelter.

But last week Abbott reversed course and mandated people over age 10 wear face coverings inside businesses and other buildings or spaces open to the public.

His order, which took effect Friday, also requires masks outside in public spaces when it's not feasible to stay 6 feet apart from others. There are some exceptions, including for people who are eating, drinking, exercising, voting or worshipping. The requirements apply in counties with 20 or more positive COVID-19 cases.

"Wearing a face covering in public is proven to be one of the most effective ways we have to slow the spread of COVID-19," Abbott said. "We have the ability to keep businesses open and move our economy forward so that Texans can continue to earn a paycheck, but it requires each of us to do our part to protect one another— and that means wearing a face covering in public spaces."

Abbott has flip-flopped on the face covering mandate.

In April, he blocked local officials from penalizing people who don't wear masks, a move that undermined the efforts of local officials to require face coverings in public. Now those who don't follow Abbott's latest order first face a warning and then fines of up to $250 for any additional offense.

"Texans are still getting sick. Families are still suffering.," said Abhi Rahman, a spokesman for the Texas Democratic Party. "Texans still don't know how they are going to put food on the table. All of this could have been prevented if Gov. Abbott had listened to experts and medical professionals in the first place."

Abbott's new order is evidence that you can't trust some folks to do the right thing or act in the best interest of the general public.

When he reopened the economy, including allowing for indoor seating at restaurants and bars, Abbott underestimated the ability of residents to ignore the practices that initially halted the spread of the virus.

Younger residents, libertarians and others are not wearing masks. Others, like a misguided woman at a Fort Worth convenience store who spit on the counter after an employee urged her to wear a mask, are dangerous deniers of the threat we all face.

While it's reasonable to believe that Abbott misjudged circumstances in the way he reopened the economy, Texans have a role to play in defeating the coronavirus.

Unfortunately, wearing a face mask has become a political issue and Trump hasn't helped in getting the nation behind the practice. He doesn't cover his face in public.

But by now all Americans should know what the best practices are for mitigating the spread of this awful disease.

Our elected and appointed leaders have major roles to play ending the pandemic, and they should be held accountable for the decisions they make.

But it's going to take us all to get rid of this virus.

Do you want to see the Dallas Cowboys this fall? How about going to a concert at some point?

It can happen sooner rather than later if we all do the right thing.

It's up to you, Texans.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

I wish Gov. Abbott would stop wasting time and just shut it down for 2 weeks.  I know he is going to do it.  Everyone knows he is going to do it.  So just do it now and get it out of the way.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1    4 years ago

the way it's going where I'm at, there won't be any texans left over the age of 65 by the end of summer. it's like trump and his pals are trying to kill off their base. wtf?

Professor Guide
1.1.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @1.1    4 years ago
it's like trump and his pals are trying to kill off their base. wtf?

Abbott mentioned the possibility of another shut down last week.  Even though he said it would be a last option, I was shocked that he said it.  Every time Trump wants something, the Governor's balls always seem to be in the shop or at the cleaners or on a playdate with Dan Patrick's balls or whatever.

Could he possibly be giving a shit about we, the people?

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.2  devangelical  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.1    4 years ago

pretty sure he got religion last month during a presser on TV at some thumper mega madrasa

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Texan1211  replied to  devangelical @1.1    4 years ago
the way it's going where I'm at, there won't be any texans left over the age of 65 by the end of summer. it's like trump and his pals aretryingto kill off their base. wtf?

That is an asinine statement.

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
1.1.4  Raven Wing  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.1    4 years ago
Could he possibly be giving a shit about we, the people?

Seems to me Abbott is waiting for Costello before taking any real action. jrSmiley_74_smiley_image.gif

Texan1211
Professor Principal
1.1.5  Texan1211  replied to  Raven Wing @1.1.4    4 years ago

Or maybe he is following Cuomo's lead. New York has such outstanding numbers regarding Covid, after all, right?

MrFrost
Professor Expert
1.1.6  MrFrost  replied to  Texan1211 @1.1.5    4 years ago
Or maybe he is following Cuomo's lead.

Why would he do that? Abbott sounds like a weak leader to me. 

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
1.1.7  Account Deleted  replied to  devangelical @1.1    4 years ago
it's like trump and his pals are trying to kill off their base.

Sort of a slow motion version of Jonestown where the older followers have a 1 in 10 chance of getting the spiked Flavor-Aid - to prove that they are willing to die for their leader.

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1.8  devangelical  replied to  Account Deleted @1.1.7    4 years ago

abbott's lt. governor basically stated as much...

Professor Guide
1.1.9  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  devangelical @1.1.8    4 years ago
abbott's lt. governor basically stated as much...

I forgot about that!  I had no idea who he was until he offered himself up as a human sacrifice .  

jrSmiley_88_smiley_image.gif

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
2  JohnRussell    4 years ago
Now those who don't follow Abbott's latest order first face a warning and then fines of up to $250 for any additional offense.

Not enforceable on individuals. You could fine businesses though. 

If the country had all shut down properly for a month or two from the very beginning things might have been much different. But too many people wanted to cry that their "rights" were being violated because they werent allowed to go to Home Depot and pick out new counter tops. 

It's too late now. No one will re-shut unless their ICU bed capacity is over run and there are literally no beds for people who need to be hospitalized. 

I think we are going to have covid infections like we have now for at least the next six months. If NFL players keep getting sick there may be no football this fall either.  

Ender
Professor Principal
2.2  Ender  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 years ago

I have read gyms can be a breeding ground. Particles flying around in the air for hours on end and all that huffing and puffing.

I'm gonna pump you up! ... with a virus.

Professor Guide
2.2.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Ender @2.2    4 years ago
I have read gyms can be a breeding ground.

Then I should have been embarrassingly safe, however...

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
2.3  Buzz of the Orient  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 years ago
"If the country had all shut down properly for a month or two from the very beginning things might have been much different."

That is absolutely correct, and in Chongqing (32 million population city-state) where I live that is what happened, with the people complying voluntarily and unanimously and even without penalties being required is why things are now back to normal - schools are opened, stores and restaurants are busy, and life is almost exactly like it was a year ago. 

Unfortunately the problem in the USA was and is two-fold.  Number one problem was Trump's ignoring warnings, trivializing the virus, negligently mishandling it, and focusing more on his reelection than on dealing with the pandemic by deflecting, pointing fingers and blaming elsewhere.  America's leader should be the primary person to set an example, and he set a damaging one by NOT wearing a mask and by saying that the virus would miraculously disappear, like magic - so why should anyone take it seriously?  Unfortunately, the second problem for Americans is that for far too many of them, notwithstanding ANY valid reason whatsoever, they refuse to alter or reduce the unwavering requirement of maintaining 100% of their individual rights and freedoms, even if it means killing off the elderly and those with underlying medical problems, even the freedom warrior's own grandparents, even when circumstances abslutely require it - but, as Alfred E Newman coined "What, me worry?"

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
2.4  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  JohnRussell @2    4 years ago

It is enforceable on individuals in the form of fines.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
3  Trout Giggles    4 years ago

I heard on the news this morning that hospitals in San Antonio and Houston are at capacity

devangelical
Professor Principal
3.1  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @3    4 years ago

I'm down on the coast and they're running the local infected and dead statistics on the news every night. it's f'n surreal...

Ender
Professor Principal
3.1.1  Ender  replied to  devangelical @3.1    4 years ago

Our state surpassed 30k infected with over 1100 deaths.

Our governor had the nerve to blame protests when there were not any large ones in the state..

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4  JohnRussell    4 years ago

NBC News reporting the infection rate in Houston is 25% . That means the virus is spreading rapidly. 

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell @4    4 years ago

Yes, and when it reaches 55% herd immunity will start taking over...

There's that little pesky thing called mother nature the politicians are ignoring

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.1  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1    4 years ago

The science is not guaranteeing immunity if you get it. People have been re-infected.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.2  Nowhere Man  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    4 years ago

Hi Trout!

Yep the same as the common cold does every year......

It kills so many cause it is a brand new disease..... once it has passed, it will be no more serious than the common cold...

One must remember why they went into lockdown, not to stop the spread cause that is impossible, it was to prevent the overloading of medical services....

A perfect opportunity to test out how many "Emergency" absolutist powers they can get away with.... and for political groups to use to advance their agendas through fear.......

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.3  Split Personality  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.1    4 years ago

hence the powers that be are now banning COVID19 survivors from joining the military

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/05/06/coronavirus-survivors-banned-from-joining-the-military/?fbclid=IwAR3v-mMumzj4Efi1nU2CLXb8KoURCE1AQNrfh4N-5UASmLazrR24euQSPzQ

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.2    4 years ago

But there are numerous viruses that cause the common cold, both rhino and corona. It's my understanding that if you get a common cold virus you get an immunity from it (I could be wrong).

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1    4 years ago
Yes, and when it reaches 55% herd immunity will start taking over...

Herd immunity is usually effective when 80-95% of the population is immune. Some diseases can be staved off with a lower degree of herd immunity. It's estimated that a 70% herd immunity is necessary to protect against covid.

There's that little pesky thing called mother nature the politicians are ignoring

Since when have politicians cared about mother nature?

It kills so many cause it is a brand new disease..... once it has passed, it will be no more serious than the common cold..

You base that claim on what exactly? There's still much we don't know about covid. It's already infected & killed more people in the several months it has been here than the flu has all last year. Of course, that might change once  a vaccine is developed.

One must remember why they went into lockdown, not to stop the spread cause that is impossible, it was to prevent the overloading of medical services....

Locking down was to prevent social gatherings or too many people grouping together, which helps decrease the transmission and infection of the virus.

A perfect opportunity to test out how many "Emergency" absolutist powers they can get away with.... and for political groups to use to advance their agendas through fear.......

Now that's sounding like conspiracy theory nonsense.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.6  Nowhere Man  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.4    4 years ago

yep very true, and that's not counting the ones that mutate every year.... The thing is with each new revelation about this virus we are learning more and more that it acts just like the common cold.....

There is no vaccine for the common cold.... I doubt that there is going to be a successful vaccination for this either... especially since persons that were infected and recovered have re-caught it.... and recovered again...

Face it, it will run it's course and when we come out the other side it will be no big threat....

But then critical thinking is being left behind in the seeking and obtaining of money and power.....

WE are our own worst enemy's....

I don't fear it, but what I do fear is those who do.....

Ever notice the irony? those who are most supportive of the mother nature is good in everything, and is never wrong, are the most fearful of what mother nature is demonstrating in this situation..... they are also the one's trying to do the most to control others in their fear of mother nature....

A real lack of critical thinking skills there...

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.7  Nowhere Man  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.5    4 years ago

Did I say anything about Herd Immunity being effective? no, I said when it starts doing it's thing.....

I brought it up cause Fausti was asked that exact same question before congress, his answer was similar to yours, it starts being effective at 75% infection rate.

Nice way to sidestep and minimize what was actually said... and in Fausti's case, actually asked...

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.8  Gordy327  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.7    4 years ago
Did I say anything about Herd Immunity being effective? no, I said when it starts doing it's thing.....

What "thing" does herd immunity do? Protect against infection, right? But to be effective in preventing infection, enough percentage of the population needs to be immune. 

I brought it up cause Fausti was asked that exact same question before congress, his answer was similar to yours, it starts being effective at 75% infection rate

I said it was estimated. How accurate that estimation is, we'll have to wait and see.

Nice way to sidestep and minimize what was actually said.

You said herd immunity will start taking over at 55% infection rate. I'm not sure where you get that number from.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.9  Nowhere Man  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.8    4 years ago

I got the number from junior high school human biology class 57 years ago.. remember, back when they actually taught useful things so we didn't have to live, (or be manipulated) in fear...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.10  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.9    4 years ago

A lot has changed in 57 years....

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.11  Gordy327  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.9    4 years ago
I got the number from junior high school human biology class 57 years ago..

Yeah, it might be better to research more current information. Just saying. That was before the development of the MMR vaccine.

devangelical
Professor Principal
4.1.12  devangelical  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.10    4 years ago

... not in the conservative mindset.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.13  Nowhere Man  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.10    4 years ago

"A lot has changed in 57 years...."

Like what? basic human biology? {chuckle}

I'll tell you what has changed, real science co-habiting with politics and the power of money... that is what has changed...

Science uses politics to get money, Politics uses science to justify most of it myriad whacko schemes and pays the scientists for their "Expertise" in supporting their political agendas... more "New" science more money....

It's as simple as that....

But for it to work you have to have either a very stupid society or a very brainwashed one... we have both...

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.14  Nowhere Man  replied to  devangelical @4.1.12    4 years ago

Neither conservative nor liberal both sides are power hungry agenda driven freaks...

just intelligent and educated.... Without a political agenda...

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.15  Nowhere Man  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.11    4 years ago
MMR vaccine

Measles, Mumps and Rubella are biologicals not viruses...

You analogy fails right there... Like I said, lack of knowledge leads to fears from lack of understanding...

Equating biologicals to viruses is the epitome of lack of understanding...

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.16  Gordy327  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.15    4 years ago
Measles, Mumps and Rubella are biologicals not viruses..

You might want to expand your own knowledge of science. Measles, Mumps and Rubella are viruses and biological agents. 

Like I said, lack of knowledge leads to fears from lack of understanding...

See first statement.

That fact that you do not know biological agents include viruses or that MMR are viruses shows your lack of understanding.

Like what? basic human biology? {chuckle}

Like medicine itself. Virology, epidemiology, microbiology, immunology, ect.. Including our understanding of basic human biology.

I'll tell you what has changed, real science co-habiting with politics and the power of money... that is what has changed...

I blame politics more for that.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.18  JohnRussell  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.7    4 years ago

Who is Fausti? 

MrFrost
Professor Expert
4.1.19  MrFrost  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.13    4 years ago
"A lot has changed in 57 years...." Like what? basic human biology? {chuckle}

The study and understanding of how a virus works has changed by leaps and bounds over the last 57 years. 

Your arguments seem to not include the fact that a virus changes over time. That's why the flu vaccine changes every single year. That's why there is no cure for the flu, AIDS and the corona virus. There are vaccines and anti-virals that can mitigate the damage, but no cure. But I wouldn't worry, it's totally under control and will be gone by April anyway. 

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.20  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.18    4 years ago

[deleted]

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.21  Raven Wing  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.19    4 years ago
But I wouldn't worry, it's totally under control and will be gone by April anyway.

Nah....like the flu...it will continue to mutate into new versions and once a vaccine is found, like the flu vaccine it will have to be updated with each new version. At least that will be what the public will be told so that the Pharma Bros can keep making more money each year like they do off the ever changing flu vaccines. Some my be legit, but, some are just to keep people living in fear so that they will spend the extra money to keep healthy. 

JMOO

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.22  Nowhere Man  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.16    4 years ago

Gordy, no matter what you call them, you propose them as proof that the scientific solution has been found.....

Yes they cured Polio and SmallPox as well.... 

But the point I"m making is that even such, they have been searching for that vaccine for the common cold ever since... and have failed to find it...

Most have given up trying to find it and categorize it as impossible, never going to happen...

Then we have the flu vaccines, real successful those are as well, seeing as they have to keep making new ones every year....

The two things that the common cold and the flu have that the rest don't?

You can be a carrier and not show any signs you have the disease, and

You can contract it, recover from it, and re-contract it... the body evidently does not set up permanent immunity to it... But it does remember it as a disease...

Guess what, Corona Virus ID 19 has those same traits... you can be a carrier and not show signs and catch it recover and re-catch it...

They aren't going to find a successful vaccine, that is a pipe dream we are spending billions for... we can cure it, there are several drugs that kill it but thats all they do... they don't offer immunity.... but as long as they keep holding out hope to the fearful they will keep getting their billions of dollars for producing nothing...

That's the way it works today.... promise everything playing on peoples hopes and fears but deliver nothing...

AS long as people choose to live in fear and be reactionary, they will always be abused by others... (and I count government as one of those others)

I choose not to live in fear...

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.23  Nowhere Man  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.18    4 years ago
Who is Fausti?

So I spelled it wrong..

FAUCI! 

I never expected you to be that dense John.... Wait a sec you are JohnRussell correct... sorry I forgot... you can be that dense when you want to be...

Hi John how ya been, you miss me? {chuckle}

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.24  sandy-2021492  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.22    4 years ago

No, they haven't.  We have vaccines for them, but not cures.  Very few viral diseases have cures - hepatitis C is pretty much the only one that comes to mind.

Then we have the flu vaccines, real successful those are as well, seeing as they have to keep making new ones every year....

That's because different strains of the flu are more prevalent from one year to another.  It's not a failure of the vaccine; it's just reality.

we can cure it

No, we can't as yet cure Covid-19.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.25  JohnRussell  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.23    4 years ago

You spell the man's name wrong multiple times on the forum, and I'm dense?  Is that how it works for you? lol. 

I thought maybe you were doing a play on words thing involving the Faust character from literature, but since you have admitted you spelled it wrong  just now, there it is. 

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.26  Trout Giggles  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.24    4 years ago
No, they haven't.  We have vaccines for them, but not cures. 

I was going to say that we've eradicated small pox and polio. Babies still get polio vaccines but I don't believe anybody has been inoculated against small pox since the very early 70's. I got one in 1968 before I started first grade but I know people not much younger than me that don't have that tell tale scar.

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.27  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.25    4 years ago
I thought maybe you were doing a play on words thing involving the Faust character from literature, but since you have admitted you spelled it wrong  just now, there it is. 

Really? Really??

THAT'S the thought that popped up in your head when you read his post--which is dealing with Covid?

JBB
Professor Principal
4.1.28  JBB  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.27    4 years ago

It is a literary reference. So, you wouldn't get it...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.30  sandy-2021492  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.26    4 years ago

Yup, smallpox vaccine is no longer routinely administered, and there hasn't been a case since the 70s.  Polio is still a routine vaccination, and there are still outbreaks in undeveloped nations, I believe.  Not one the US, though.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.31  Nowhere Man  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.24    4 years ago
No, they haven't.  We have vaccines for them, but not cures.  Very few viral diseases have cures - hepatitis C is pretty much the only one that comes to mind.

That's because different strains of the flu are more prevalent from one year to another.  It's not a failure of the vaccine; it's just reality.

we can cure it

Wow, Ignore the very valid point I make to argue semantics.....

Been gone a year Nothin's changed around here.... (but of course I didn't expect it to) I guess the absolute need to be right and expose others who aren't rather than have any serious point back and forth is still the reality here...

Same old arguing minor BS back and forth and ignoring the reality of the world around us...

So they haven't cured anything I guess is the line now...

ok... I'll remind the next person that contracts small pox or polio....

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.32  Gordy327  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.22    4 years ago
Gordy, no matter what you call them, you propose them as proof that the scientific solution has been found.....

I never said about scientific solutions. I said they are viruses, which is a fact. You claimed that are not viruses, which is demonstrably false. The MMR vaccine offers herd immunity when enough of the population is immunized. That's how vaccines work.

But the point I"m making is that even such, they have been searching for that vaccine for the common cold ever since... and have failed to find it...

I thought your point was about herd immunity? 

You can be a carrier and not show any signs you have the disease, and
You can contract it, recover from it, and re-contract it...

Yes, some people are carriers and can not be affected by viral infections. Your point again?

the body evidently does not set up permanent immunity to it... But it does remember it as a disease...

That's because the memory B cells of the immune system "remember" a particular viral infection and can cause an immune response much faster than the initial infection.

Guess what, Corona Virus ID 19 has those same traits... you can be a carrier and not show signs and catch it recover and re-catch it..

Yes, and?

They aren't going to find a successful vaccine, that is a pipe dream we are spending billions for... we can cure it, there are several drugs that kill it but thats all they do... they don't offer immunity....

Your pessimism aside, there is no cure for covid. Certain drugs might treat symptoms of infection or affect the immune response. A vaccine is the only thing that can offer immunity to a particular strain/s of covid.

AS long as people choose to live in fear and be reactionary, they will always be abused by others... (and I count government as one of those others)

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything?

Ignore the very valid point I make to argue semantics..

What is your point exactly?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.33  Nowhere Man  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.24    4 years ago
we can cure it

And taking things out of context to make it appear someone is saying the opposite of what they did say..... Very juvenile... I thought you were better than that...

Oh, the full context?

"They aren't going to find a successful vaccine, that is a pipe dream we are spending billions for... we can cure it, there are several drugs that kill it but thats all they do... they don't offer immunity.... but as long as they keep holding out hope to the fearful they will keep getting their billions of dollars for producing nothing..."

[deleted]

Also the whole point is to deflect away from any serous discussion... But then it doesn't matter you play judge, jury and executioner every day.....

I'm just fodder to you...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.34  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.31    4 years ago

Nowhere, we argue semantics because it's important to understand the difference between a "cure", "vaccine" and "eradication".

Diseases that people used to die from now have cures. Scarlett fever comes to mind. I contracted it in the early 70's. If I had contracted it at the turn of the century I probably would have died.

Penicillin came along somewhere after WWII. It was deemed a miracle drug because it could cure all kinds of bacterial infections. Nowadays, we have better antibiotics.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.35  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.33    4 years ago

You're reading into things and possibly overanalying people's intent. Nobody is trying to score points off of you

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.36  Gordy327  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.33    4 years ago
"They aren't going to find a successful vaccine, that is a pipe dream we are spending billions for...

That's merely conjecture.

we can cure it,

Says who? If we can "cure" it, there wouldn't be so many infected or deaths.

Also the whole point is to deflect away from any serous discussion... But then it doesn't matter you play judge, jury and executioner every day.....

How about addressing points made rather than getting personal?

And taking things out of context to make it appear someone is saying the opposite of what they did say.

Like you saying I "propose them as proof that the scientific solution has been found," when I proposed no such thing.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.37  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.33    4 years ago

I have a question for you. Name me one virus that can be cured, except for Hep C.

Even the flu is "treated" with certain antivirals, but it doesn't cure it. Flu takes time, rest, and fluids to eliminate it from the body

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.38  Gordy327  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.37    4 years ago
Even the flu is "treated" with certain antivirals, but it doesn't cure it. Flu takes time, rest, and fluids to eliminate it from the body

And that is just about symptom management until the body can develop an immune response to the flu.

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.39  Trout Giggles  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.38    4 years ago

Exactly. And that's all they can do with COVID-19 for now

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.40  TᵢG  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.22    4 years ago
They aren't going to find a successful vaccine, that is a pipe dream we are spending billions for... we can cure it, there are several drugs that kill it but thats all they do... they don't offer immunity.... but as long as they keep holding out hope to the fearful they will keep getting their billions of dollars for producing nothing...

It is certainly possible that we never find a successful vaccine, but that is not the indication we are getting.   Rather, there is an expectation of an effective vaccine by the end of this year or early 2021.   This is based on progress made worldwide from aggressive research in India (albeit overly optimistic) and work at home with initiatives such as Operation Warp Speed (expecting a vaccine by 1st quarter 2021).   The fact that worldwide research organizations are speaking of time frames (short-term even) suggests that they are convinced they can produce a vaccine.

They could all be wrong, certainly, but I interpret this news as a vaccine being more likely than not.   Why are you so confident that Coronavirus will perpetually elude a vaccine when Ebola, Smallpox, Polio, etc. illustrate viruses that did not?

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.41  Nowhere Man  replied to  TᵢG @4.1.40    4 years ago
The fact that worldwide research organizations are speaking of time frames (short-term even) suggests that they are convinced they can produce a vaccine.

I'm sure they are, just as confident when they created the polio vaccine and claimed that within a year they would have one for the common cold...

It turns out, mother nature had a better way... I don't know and if they did they would say so... the hope for a vaccine is widespread but the way this virus acts doesn't say much... I guess if they come up with something like the flu vaccines that need to be updated every year is better than nothing..

We must remember, the point of all these lockdown orders are to not overwhelm the medical services which would make this a real disaster.

They have already admitted to not being able to stop it, so the response is to slow it down..... The thinking that all viruses act the same is belied by the common cold....

What proof is there that this one doesn't act the same as the common cold when all the published evidence says it does.... Congress is asking these same questions to Fauci right now, and listening to his answers they don't know....

I think this is only gonna end when it has run it's natural course... herd immunity (what a misnomer!) takes over and it becomes another version of the common cold... which is where this is headed it looks like to me.....

In the meantime we destroy our society chasing a pipe dream of a cure....

You tell me what is rational my friend...

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.42  Texan1211  replied to  JBB @4.1.28    4 years ago

Not a question of me getting it, JR--I was specifically commenting on that being what popped up in YOUR mind when you read his post--which I daresay 95% of the people who come on here would have recognized INSTANTLY as a typo, especially given what the conversation was about.

Trust me, you have never, ever, ever posted anything that has been too deep for me to understand, and I don't think you ever, ever will.

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.43  JohnRussell  replied to  Texan1211 @4.1.42    4 years ago

When you do it once it is a typo, when you do it 4 or 5 times you are spelling it wrong. 

JohnRussell
Professor Principal
4.1.44  JohnRussell  replied to  MrFrost @4.1.19    4 years ago
But I wouldn't worry, it's totally under control and will be gone by April anyway. 

Either that or when the warm weather comes. jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.45  Texan1211  replied to  JohnRussell @4.1.43    4 years ago

[deleted]

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
4.1.46  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.41    4 years ago

Is the pipe dream the cure or the vaccine?

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.48  Gordy327  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.41    4 years ago
but the way this virus acts doesn't say much

There's still a lot about the virus which we do not understand. A vaccine is possible, but the question remains as to the efficacy of it.

We must remember, the point of all these lockdown orders are to not overwhelm the medical services which would make this a real disaster.

It was also to prevent people from gathering in groups or areas which would allow the virus to spread faster and infect more people.

They have already admitted to not being able to stop it, so the response is to slow it down..... The thinking that all viruses act the same is belied by the common cold....

I don't know anyone who's compared covid to the common cold. But the precautions are the same: self quarantine, masks, social distancing, ect.. Slowing it down is the first step to stopping it. And that's what all the precautions do.

What proof is there that this one doesn't act the same as the common cold when all the published evidence says it does....

What evidence? Covid is spread much the same way as the cold: droplets.

Congress is asking these same questions to Fauci right now, and listening to his answers they don't know....

See first statement. We're discovering things about the virus as we go along.

I think this is only gonna end when it has run it's natural course... herd immunity (what a misnomer!) takes over and it becomes another version of the common cold... which is where this is headed it looks like to me.....

Herd immunity is quite effective as long as most or all people are immunized.

In the meantime we destroy our society chasing a pipe dream of a cure..

What a pessimistic outlook.

You tell me what is rational my friend

Are you suggesting not trying to develop a vaccine to a virus is rational? That we should do nothing?

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.49  Ender  replied to  Trout Giggles @4.1.26    4 years ago
don't have that tell tale scar

I don't. Never got it. I think the cutoff time was the year or the year before I was suppose to get it.

Ender
Professor Principal
4.1.50  Ender  replied to  Gordy327 @4.1.48    4 years ago

Reading this it seems like he is saying there is nothing really that can/could be done and we all just have to learn to live with it.

I could be wrong but that is what it sounds like.

That we will now have this always, just like cold and flu season every year.

I was/am of the mind frame that if the virus could be slowed by taking precautions, then there was a possibility to maybe stop it in its tracks by denying it any new hosts. Let it die out so to speak.

That possibility seems long gone here in the states though. 

I myself wonder why some people seem to have mild symptoms while others get attack relentlessly. 

TᵢG
Professor Principal
4.1.51  TᵢG  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.41    4 years ago
In the meantime we destroy our society chasing a pipe dream of a cure.... You tell me what is rational my friend...

In my opinion, a rational course of action given a worldwide pandemic is to devote extraordinary resources to finding a vaccine.   It is clear that if our only weapons to fight this spread are social distancing, masks, cleaning, etc. our world will substantially change due to our inability to conduct our affairs in an normal effective manner.   Economies can take a short-term quiescence, but long-term sans better protection, this virus would dramatically change our lives.

Outside of that, I am confident that with modern resources (which are quite impressive) we will develop tools that can keep this virus in check and allow the world to operate effectively (albeit it will be a new normal).

Texan1211
Professor Principal
4.1.52  Texan1211  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.47    4 years ago
Like when some asswipes on these threads spell Trump tRump?  Or how about the ones who continually spell but, butt. Are you claiming your followers have no idea how to spell properly?

Kind of wondering why he hasn't commented on the error in the article:

In his view, the economic pain is as devastating has the health concerns brought by the virus.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.53  Gordy327  replied to  Ender @4.1.50    4 years ago
Reading this it seems like he is saying there is nothing really that can/could be done and we all just have to learn to live with it.

I'm reminded of an old Simpsons episode: [Homer to Bart] "Son, you tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is, never try!" Lol

I was/am of the mind frame that if the virus could be slowed by taking precautions, then there was a possibility to maybe stop it in its tracks by denying it any new hosts. Let it die out so to speak.

Precautions will help the virus die out. But that becomes complicated when people selfishly and/or stupidly do not practice proper precautions or downplay the severity of the virus.

That possibility seems long gone here in the states though. 

That can largely be attributed to inept leadership.

I myself wonder why some people seem to have mild symptoms while others get attack relentlessly. 

There are a multitude of factors: individual susceptibility and immune response to the virus, overall health status, viral exposure and load, prevalence of infection, ect..

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.54  sandy-2021492  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.33    4 years ago

I'm not sure why you're making this personal.

Very few viral diseases have been cured by medicine.  In fact, only one that I know of, and that's hep C.  We have little reason to believe that Covid-19 is any more amenable to a medical cure than any other viral disease.  Like most viral diseases, we have a few potential treatments, but results are mixed (as they are for antivirals in general).

OTOH, vaccines for viral diseases are fairly common.

The smart money would be on a vaccine as opposed to a cure.

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.55  Tessylo  replied to  XDm9mm @4.1.47    4 years ago

"Like when some asswipes on these threads spell tRump tRump?" 

tRUMP is the proper spelling Reggin.  

Or fucking moron is another way to spell its' name.  

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
4.1.56  Nowhere Man  replied to  sandy-2021492 @4.1.54    4 years ago
I'm not sure why you're making this personal.

Very few viral diseases have been cured by medicine.  In fact, only one that I know of, and that's hep C.  We have little reason to believe that Covid-19 is any more amenable to a medical cure than any other viral disease.  Like most viral diseases, we have a few potential treatments, but results are mixed (as they are for antivirals in general).

OTOH, vaccines for viral diseases are fairly common.

The smart money would be on a vaccine as opposed to a cure.

I'm not making it personal, I'm wondering why your side seems to be though...

Seems to me that everyone wants to claim that there is only one way, their way.....

But then that is normal on this fora......Of course there is the commentary hints that lean towards personal derogation.. but most have tried to not go there...

Which I'm thankful for...

There are other ideals. It seems we can't even discuss them here, we can't discuss how we get to point B from where we are at now as any deviation from the politically acceptable course is ridiculed... and the commenter insulted...

Almost everything on this forum quickly devolves into left and right insulting one another...which leaves no room for serious discussion... But then we come full circle, there is no serious discussion to be had unless it is sympathetic to the base position of the loudest mouths..

Been gone a year and it hasn't changed one iota has it...

Was probably wishful thinking that it might...

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.57  sandy-2021492  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.56    4 years ago
I'm not making it personal, I'm wondering why your side seems to be though...

"My side" hasn't devolved into derogatory personal comments.  You did that in your very first reply to me, when my comments were entirely factual.  "My side" has stuck to the facts, with which you seem to have a great deal of difficulty.  For example:

Measles, Mumps and Rubella are biologicals not viruses...

You analogy fails right there... Like I said, lack of knowledge leads to fears from lack of understanding...

Whoopsy.  You erred while simultaneously deriding the knowledge of those who have very easily shown that they know more about this subject than you do.  Then, when "my side" (since when did microbiology have "sides", anyway?) pointed out that you were dead wrong, you tried to gloss over it.

Then, you goofed again.

Nope.

we can cure it

Again, nope.

BTW, the percentage of the population required for herd immunity is dependent on the disease in question.  The more infectious a disease is, the larger the percentage of the population must be immune in order to protect the non-immune.  There is no single percentage for all infectious diseases at which we reach herd immunity.  It certainly isn't 55% for measles.

A key question is how much immunity is needed before we get herd immunity?  It varies per disease, depending on how transmissible it is.  For a highly transmissible disease, like measles, on average one person might infect up 20 others, and herd immunity kicks in at 95% immune – and so, the target coverage for MMR vaccine is 95%.  For flu, on average one person infects just 1.3 others; in this case herd immunity kicks in at about 25% immune or less; and so the target coverage for flu vaccine is much less than it is for measles (three quarters of over 65s).

Frankly, in the face of the condescension displayed in your comments, "my side" has been remarkably restrained in not making fun of the inaccurate information you've put forth with such an unwarranted degree of confidence.

Almost everything on this forum quickly devolves into left and right insulting one another...

You reap what you sow.  In this discussion, most of us have limited ourselves to correcting incorrect information.  You have chosen to take those corrections as insults, and respond in an insulting manner.  If you don't want conversations to devolve into insults, maybe you should try not leading with insults.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
4.1.58  Gordy327  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.56    4 years ago
But then we come full circle, there is no serious discussion to be had unless it is sympathetic to the base position of the loudest mouths.

If you want to have a serious discussion, then address some of the points made, like those showing your previous erroneous declarations about herd immunity or that MMR are not viruses. What we see is that you seemed to have ignored those and other points entirely. You have also gone personal in some of your comments as well. So if you're complaining about having a serious discussion, then don't be part of the problem. Instead, go ahead and discuss. 

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.59  Tessylo  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1.56    4 years ago
"Been gone a year and it hasn't changed one iota has it..."

You and your attitude and you're making things personal sure hasn't changed one iota - has it?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
4.1.60  Tessylo  replied to  Nowhere Man @4.1    4 years ago
"Yes, and when it reaches 55% herd immunity will start taking over... There's that little pesky thing called mother nature the politicians are ignoring"

What the huh?

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
5  Nerm_L    4 years ago

The indicators were that Texas was ready to reopen.  The spread of the virus may not have been perfectly controlled but, nevertheless, was well under control.

But Bubba Beerbelly is so exquisitely stupid that a drunk hookup was worth dying for.  Government can't protect idiots from their own idiocy.  Darwin is in charge.  The pandemic is making the country smarter because the idiots are sacrificing themselves for one last good time.  Way to go, PeeWee.  

There has been much ado about Trump not wearing a mask.  President Joe has certainly pointed out that Trump is not setting an example.  President Joe removes his mask so we can read his lips; now that's real leadership by example.  Dandy Andy Cuomo didn't wear a mask to deliver his daily ego rush, either.  And the reporters on the street warning of the zombie apocalypse typically have a mask dangling somewhere below their chin.

There isn't an app for the pandemic.  Wear a face covering.  Tie a bandanna over your pie hole.  Better yet, do us all a favor and stuff that bandanna in your pie hole so we don't have to listen to the whining.  The situation is bad enough.  We don't need more idiots making the situation worse. 

Professor Guide
5.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Nerm_L @5    4 years ago
But Bubba Beerbelly is so exquisitely stupid that a drunk hookup was worth dying for.  Government can't protect idiots from their own idiocy.

Just because Bubba Beerbelly is our state mascot, doesn't mean that every state doesn't have their fair share of Bubba Beerbellies.

Tacos!
Professor Guide
6  Tacos!    4 years ago

There are a lot of people all over the country in denial. It isn't even just coronavirus. We do it for all sorts of things. We do what we want and imagine that the consequences will never happen.

Kavika
Professor Principal
7  Kavika     4 years ago

Reality tells us that Texas, Arizona, and Florida are real hot spots currently for COVID19. No matter how one looks at it, it's not good at all and probably will get worse. 

Currently, in Florida we are setting records on almost a daily basis much like Texas and Arizona. 

Sticking our heads in the sand isn't going to make the virus disappear, it's will take a concentrated effort at a national, state, county, and city levels. Currently, IMO we are not seeing that. 

Masks damn sure help, it's not all that hard, just wear a damn mask. 

Professor Guide
7.1  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Kavika @7    4 years ago
Sticking our heads in the sand isn't going to make the virus disappear, it's will take a concentrated effort at a national, state, county, and city levels. Currently, IMO we are not seeing that. 

Masks damn sure help, it's not all that hard, just wear a damn mask. 

Too right!  Everyone should do what they can to keep their funk to themselves.  Texas just reached their highest daily total for positive C-tests:  10,000.

Dulay
Professor Expert
7.1.1  Dulay  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @7.1    4 years ago

With almost 10,000 hospitalized. 

Buzz of the Orient
Professor Expert
8  Buzz of the Orient    4 years ago

Just a little note from a person who loves movies....

I guess if things keep getting worse while Christmas is approaching, and A Christmas Carol will be shown as it has been annually, Ebeneezer Scrooge's remark about reducing the excess population will take on a more current and scary meaning. 

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
8.1  Account Deleted  replied to  Buzz of the Orient @8    4 years ago

Yep - sets things up for Dickens' rebuke of Malthus.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
8.1.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Account Deleted @8.1    4 years ago
Yep - sets things up for Dickens' rebuke of Malthus.

Thomas R Malthus.... “The great question now at issue, is whether man shall henceforth start forwards with accelerated velocity towards illimitable improvement, or be condemned to a perpetual oscillation between happiness and misery.” 

Yeah, Dicken's position was that no one is unsalvageable, even the most Malthusian amongst us....

So if we believe Dickens, there is still hope for us all.... (yes even democrats and socialists)

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
8.1.2  Account Deleted  replied to  Nowhere Man @8.1.1    4 years ago

Guess I should be very careful not to ask for "more " of anything...

Professor Guide
10  seeder  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom    4 years ago

They cancelled the Texas State Fair.  Where else can one find fried butter on a stick?  But seriously, the last time the Fair was cancelled was during WWII.