╌>

Laser light experiment shows which types of face masks work best

Category:  News & Politics

Via:  perrie-halpern  •  4 years ago  •  106 comments

By:   By Kevin Byrne, AccuWeather staff writer

Laser light experiment shows which types of face masks work best
Researchers found without a mask, sneezes and coughs can travel over 8 feet. With a mask, distance is dramatically reduced, with some to just a few inches.

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Please go to this link for the video.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/health-wellness/laser-light-experiment-shows-which-types-of-face-masks-work-best/769051

Glow-in-the-dark coughs and sneezes? In   the coronavirus era , this is what it takes for scientists to figure out which masks work best at stopping aerosol droplets from spreading after a cough or a sneeze.

Researchers from Florida Atlantic University turned to laser light and glycerine to demonstrate the best type of homemade cloth masks people can use to prevent the spread of COVID-19,  according to UPI .

For people who have been donning a bandana, they have some bad news. But first, some details on how the experiment worked.

The scientists were looking to determine the distance droplets can move with cloth-based coverings used to obstruct those droplets and   the study was published   on Tuesday in   the journal Physics of Fluids . "Such masks have been recommended for public use by various agencies, but there are no clear guidelines on the best material or construction technique that should be used," Siddhartha Verma, lead author and an assistant professor at Florida Atlantic told UPI.

The researchers sprayed a solution of distilled water and glycerin through the mouth of a mannequin to create the glow-in-the-dark droplets similar to those produced by coughs or sneezes, UPI reported. Earlier this year, an aerosols expert explained to AccuWeather how aerosol droplets move throughout the air. As an easy way of visualizing, she advised   imagining how second-hand smoke behaves   in different air currents to get a sense of how droplets move through the air.

Amid all of the recent commotion about mask-wearing, the scientists' findings are eye-opening, to say the least. The results of the study were also   captured on video , which paints a compelling picture of what wearing a mask can do to prevent the spread of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The footage of what happens when someone coughs or sneezes without having a mask on is equally as compelling.

Screen-Shot-2020-07-02-at-2.05.59-PM.png?w=632

(a) A face mask constructed using a folded handkerchief. Images were taken at (b) 0.5 seconds, (c) 2.27 seconds, and (d) 5.55 seconds after the initiation of a simulated cough. (Florida Atlantic University College of Engineering and Computer Science)

"Without a mask, droplets traveled more than 8 feet," the researchers reported. In some cases, they traveled farther. Here's a look at how some of the other mask types performed in the experiment.

Bad news for bandana wearers : With a bandana, droplets made it through the fabric and traveled 3 feet, 7 inches. It's still worth noting that this is much more effective than wearing no mask at all.

Get the handkerchief out of your pocket and over your face : With a folded cotton handkerchief, the droplets traveled 1 foot, 3 inches.

And the winner is: Quilted cotton!   According to the scientists' findings, a stitched quilted cotton mask proved most effective as droplets only traveled 2.5 inches through the material .   According to the video, this seemed to perform even better than what the researchers described as a "professional-grade face mask," which allowed the droplets to travel about 8 inches.

With beaches closing and some state and local governments rolling back reopenings and, in many cases, making mask-wearing mandatory in public outdoor places, masking up in the hot weather might seem like an unappealing idea. But there are   some tips people can follow to wear masks while staying cool in the summer heat . Below, watch the full video of the Florida Atlantic University researchers' experiment.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.    4 years ago

I thought that seeing is believing and seeing the difference that a mask makes in protecting others from the virus, is really important. Watch the two videos.

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    4 years ago

No amount of videos and proof will get the selfish self entitled  aholes to wear one.  I doubt they will even if they bring it home and someone they love dies from it.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.1  Nowhere Man  replied to  Paula Bartholomew @1.1    4 years ago

I haven't worn one yet... I don't go to places that force you to wear one...

I guess that makes me an self-entitled asshole....

Surgical masks are used to prevent you from giving what you got to others, they do not stop you from getting infected that's why they don't give the patient one in the operating room... Even Fausti, the current resident media anointed foremost national infectious disease expert testified to congress on this exact same fact....

So I guess he is a self entitled asshole also correct?

You can spread your fears any way you want, you can even use your fear to call other vile names. still doesn't make you any less fearful...

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.2  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.1    4 years ago
Surgical masks are used to prevent you from giving what you got to others,

That's why I wear one. I don't want to infect others if I haven't and don't know it

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.3  Trout Giggles  replied to  Trout Giggles @1.1.2    4 years ago

My damn edit button isn't working

I meant to say "if I have it and don't know it"

Trout Giggles
Professor Principal
1.1.4  Trout Giggles  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.1    4 years ago
they don't give the patient one in the operating room..

Mostly because they may have to intubate the patient. It also makes it a lot easier to pass gas to the patient when s/he is not wearing a surgical mask and keep oxygen flowing

Paula Bartholomew
Professor Participates
1.1.5  Paula Bartholomew  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.1    4 years ago

No, it doesn't.  If you don't go places that do not require it, then you have a hail marry.  I am referring to the countless people who do these pool parties, rallys, and other events where mass amounts of people gather.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.6  Sparty On  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.1    4 years ago
I haven't worn one yet.

Yes but you see, it's been proven with "lasers" that masks work.

If "lasers" won't convince you i suppose nothing will.

I mean, c'mon man .... it's "lasers."

"Lasers!"

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.7  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.1    4 years ago
I haven't worn one yet... I don't go to places that force you to wear one...

I would never go into a place that didn't enforce that. I have to take care of 3 seniors and I don't need what someone else has.

Surgical masks are used to prevent you from giving what you got to others

Exactly.

You can spread your fears any way you want,

I'm not afraid. I am informed. I go out all the time, with my mask and only to places that enforce mask-wearing. I also social distance from people. I do my part not to spread the disease.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.8  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.6    4 years ago

Wow.....

So you don't believe in science? Or is it that you don't believe that laser technology is real or reliable? 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
1.1.9  Tacos!  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.1    4 years ago
Surgical masks are used to prevent you from giving what you got to others, they do not stop you from getting infected

Doesn't that seem to defy common sense just a little? Apparently, we are supposed to believe that the virus is blocked going one way through a mask but flows freely in the other direction. Why would that be true?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.10  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @1.1.9    4 years ago

It blocks the bulk of our droplets from our lungs as we breathe out, talk or cough, which contains the virus. But if you walk into a cloud of virus, it will not stop the virus from getting in. Hence why we also have social distancing, which btw, the new video is now showing needs to be further away, and over 40 medical centers worldwide are now presenting to the WHO. 

Ender
Professor Principal
1.1.11  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.7    4 years ago

Me too. I wear one. I don't in the car or walking by myself, but as soon as I walk up to a store or place, I put it on.

I had to go to a store today and was happy to see more people than usual wearing one.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.1.12  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Ender @1.1.11    4 years ago

In NY it's the law, so really there is no question about it. 

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
1.1.13  sandy-2021492  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.12    4 years ago

It's law in Virginia, too, for all the good that does.  Enforcement is left up to businesses.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
1.1.14  Freewill  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.12    4 years ago
In NY it's the law, so really there is no question about it.

California June 18 guidance on it HERE .  Some call it a "law", the Governor calls it an "order".  Hard to say how it will be enforced.  Most people are pretty good about it and businesses for the most part seem willing to help enforce it (the last thing they want is to be shut down via reports of non-compliance or worse via contact tracing).  I have heard of a few people being arrested for refusing to wear one in various indoor public spaces.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.1.15  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.1    4 years ago
You can spread your fears any way you want, you can even use your fear to call other vile names. still doesn't make you any less fearful...

This hasn't been a picnic for anyone, NWM.  Wearing a mask adds a layer of protection for the wearer and those around the wearer.  Are they foolproof?  Of course not. What is? 

Now forgive me if I sound like your mother, but you should really be wearing a mask every time you leave your home.  When a mask is used in combination with other precautions, we are all a little safer.  In our current predicament, erring on the side of caution is a virtue.

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.16  Nowhere Man  replied to  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom @1.1.15    4 years ago

Aw Sis, I would NEVER call you Mother Mary....   {snicker}

Nowhere Man
Junior Guide
1.1.17  Nowhere Man  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.7    4 years ago

I don't have it, so I'm not spreading it... and yeah the guv gave an order, realized that it's unenforceable, then gave another making the businesses responsible for enforcing it..... guess what, there are exceptions to his order as well..... some people do not have to wear them.....

that's kinda the way it's going around here... the leadership is a joke...  a serious failing to function in reality...

but then that's to be expected when one party rule has been in place for 30 years...

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.18  Gordy327  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.1    4 years ago
I guess that makes me an self-entitled asshole...

Only if you go into a store or location without a mask when one is required. 

Surgical masks are used to prevent you from giving what you got to others, they do not stop you from getting infected 

Yes, that is common knowledge. That's also why it's important that people wear masks.

Even Fausti, the current resident media anointed foremost national infectious disease expert testified to congress on this exact same fact....

Yes, and?

So I guess he is a self entitled asshole also correct?

He was relaying important information. 

What does that have to do with wearing a mask or trying to prevent the spread of infection? It's not about fear. It's about being smart. And wearing a mask is smart. Not to mention considerate of others.

I don't have it, so I'm not spreading it..

How do you know? Have you been tested? People can carry covid and be infectious to others for a week or more before symptoms develop.

that's kinda the way it's going around here... the leadership is a joke...  a serious failing to function in reality...

That much is certain.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.19  Gordy327  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.6    4 years ago
Yes but you see, it's been proven with "lasers" that masks work.

Yeah, pretty much. It's an effective demonstration too.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.1.21  Gordy327  replied to  Freewill @1.1.20    4 years ago

Now all we need are some sharks to mount the "lasers." jrSmiley_18_smiley_image.gif

Freewill
Junior Quiet
1.1.22  Freewill  replied to  Gordy327 @1.1.21    4 years ago
some sharks to mount the "lasers".

I believe the precise phrase was, "... You know I have one simple request, and that is to have sharks with fricken laser beams attached to their heads !jrSmiley_4_smiley_image.png

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.23  CB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1.1.10    4 years ago
it will not stop the virus from getting in.

Because of a lack of obturation (closure) on the four sides of the surgical mask. We breathe through all the sides, because it is not sealed. Or words to this effect. It is why the N-95 is better with its sealing (though nothing is perfect).

I am actually glass to see this discussion taking place. It is a 'desert' out there with this administration's antics taking center stage. But enough about that.

Eight feet now. I saw this 10 feet version of social distancing occur with Joe Biden a while back and have been taking it more or less to heart when it seems feasible. (One lady took it personal that I was so far back. I had to explain my reasoning to her: "News story, Lady.")

One of my reasons for being so methodical and a meticulous about this is I have figured out that we simply are being given too much conflicting information either unintentionally lack of communication skills or as discombobulation (confusion). As a consequence, I read everything I can get my hands (and mind around) on the subject of mask. Right now I have a Prime trial that is "all mask reading books-all the time.) Hey that may be in my Scribd reading books too! Hey, it a free and extended trial, so. . . .

Nice article. I love this kind of reading material. And I 'ran' to it when I came across it.

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.24  Sparty On  replied to  Freewill @1.1.20    4 years ago

Someone finally got it.

Good job Freewill ..... that's a good chit for you.

jrSmiley_12_smiley_image.gif

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.25  Krishna  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.1    4 years ago
I guess that makes me an self-entitled asshole....

Well I really don't know you-- but if you yourself say you are...well, I can't help but wonder if you're being entirely honest with us?

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.26  Krishna  replied to  Sparty On @1.1.6    4 years ago

I mean, c'mon man .... it's "lasers."

"Lasers!"

Good point!

In fact, IIRC, didn't Donald Trump say that lasers were a hoax?

(Or maybe it was Hannity? Laura Ingraham?)

Krishna
Professor Expert
1.1.27  Krishna  replied to  Nowhere Man @1.1.1    4 years ago
I guess that makes me an self-entitled asshole.... Surgical masks are used to prevent you from giving what you got to others, they do not stop you from getting infected that's why they don't give the patient one in the operating room... Even Fausti, the current resident media anointed foremost national infectious disease expert testified to congress on this exact same fact....

One of the things I find so fascinating about Trump supporters...is you can easily identify them within the first few minutes of them opening their mouth...

Sparty On
Professor Principal
1.1.29  Sparty On  replied to  Krishna @1.1.26    4 years ago

Sheesh .... reaching back a week?  

And for a comment that was clearly intended to be a joke?

Nice!

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.1.30  cjcold  replied to  CB @1.1.23    4 years ago

Have 5 different types of masks already and ordered another fairly expensive one from Amazon last night. Looking for one that doesn't fog up my reading and sunglasses and is as comfortable as possible for extended wear. Hoping my new one with the activated charcoal filters and vents will fit the bill for two-way protection.

Cut my beard off a couple of weeks ago so as to create a better face seal and it does make a difference. My lady likes it better shaved anyway. Told her she had to return the favor. Finally something positive out of this pandemic.

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.31  CB  replied to  cjcold @1.1.30    4 years ago

I wear my Kn95's all the time when out and I guess that I have worn them enough that I have 'mastered' the no-fog event. It simply does not happen to me anymore (or less often). About the mask versus facial hair fit styles:

facial-hair-w-mask-1024x681-1024x681.jpg

A little disorienting to read at first. Look for the green check marks and note that hair does not break the mask seal. The red x are no-no styles!

CB
Professor Principal
1.1.32  CB  replied to  cjcold @1.1.30    4 years ago

This is rather apropos today on Yahoo:

Handy hacks to stop your glasses steaming up when you wear a face mask

“Wearing a facemask or face covering is becoming the new normal, but one of the minor problems of the COVID-19 pandemic is fogged-up eyewear,” explains Ceri Smith-Jaynes from the Association of Optometrists.

“This happens when warm breath escapes from the top of the mask and lands on the cooler surface of the lens.”

Ensure the mask is well-fitted

Smith-Jaynes suggests taking a little time to shape the nose wire on your face mask, so it closely follows the contours of your nose and cheeks and secure the top strap well. “If your mask has no wire, you can insert a twist tie or pipe cleaner into the top edge of the mask,” she adds. “You could secure the top edge with micro-pore tape, if necessary. Alternatively, fold a tissue until it forms a strip and place it along the top edge of the mask before you put it on.”

There is more here on the article. . . .

Gordy327
Professor Expert
1.2  Gordy327  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @1    4 years ago

Thank you for that Perrie. I was trying to find that video too, as I think it was on the news a while back explaining the importance of masks.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
1.2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Gordy327 @1.2    4 years ago

My pleasure Gordy. Nothing beats a visual! 

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2  Split Personality    4 years ago

Just got my Phila Eagles face masks after 3 months and they have a pocket for the replaceable charcoal filter packs

(not included by FOCO ) that add 5 layers including a bit of charcoal?

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
2.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Split Personality @2    4 years ago

I have the ones with charcoal. They absorb the moisture better both in and out. Good call. 

Ender
Professor Principal
2.1.1  Ender  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @2.1    4 years ago

Mine are just those regular looking blue ones. The charcoal seems like it would be a better bet.

CB
Professor Principal
2.2  CB  replied to  Split Personality @2    4 years ago

Help with acronyms, please! I love (and act on) links to the 'quality' stuff that works. So share a link, if you can and don't mind.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.1  Split Personality  replied to  CB @2.2    4 years ago

It's the actual name of the Distributor, but probably stands for something.  FOCO.com

They are a division of Tom Beans, LLC.

of course made in China, but we both needed a magnifying glass to find that.

Way to go, NFL.

I'll take a pic of the packaging.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.2.2  Split Personality  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.1    4 years ago

This image is 150% of the original and it's still difficult to find the "Made in China" disclosure...

CB
Professor Principal
2.2.3  CB  replied to  Split Personality @2.2.2    4 years ago

Thank you for sharing! You're a team player, pun intended. (Chuckles.)

evilone
Professor Guide
2.3  evilone  replied to  Split Personality @2    4 years ago
Just got my Phila Eagles face masks

I got the Vikings 3 pack. I don't know what insert my gf put in for me, but I have it here at the office and when someone comes in - on it goes.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
2.3.1  Freewill  replied to  evilone @2.3    4 years ago
I got the Vikings 3 pack. 

Did you guys get yours from Fanatics ?  I noticed they don't say Made in USA, just says "imported".  Otherwise I'd have my Raiders 3 pack by now.  jrSmiley_51_smiley_image.gif

evilone
Professor Guide
2.3.2  evilone  replied to  Freewill @2.3.1    4 years ago
Did you guys get yours from Fanatics ?

I got mine from foco.com. I doubt they are made in the USA. My gf scoured the interwebs looking for people making their own masks and found many of them were just reselling masks from China.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
2.4  cjcold  replied to  Split Personality @2    4 years ago

It only took a week to get my Patrick Mahomes/Chiefs mask but it shipped locally.

This mask collecting thingy is kind of fun. 

Spent 15 years as a paramedic and only wore a mask and face shield when things looked infectious or messy but always kept one with spare gloves in a pocket even off duty. 

P.S. am now wearing wrap around protective shooting sunglasses with interchangeable clear, smoke and amber lenses. Haven't seen any definitive research as of yet on catching it through the eyes but why take the chance? After all, mucosa is mucosa.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
2.4.1  Split Personality  replied to  cjcold @2.4    4 years ago

jrSmiley_100_smiley_image.jpg jrSmiley_9_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4  Tacos!    4 years ago
a stitched quilted cotton mask proved most effective

I am only a simple cave man. Your ways are strange to me. What the heck is "quilted cotton?" and does somebody make masks like this? Or must I both quilt my cotton and construct the mask myself?

Honestly, I just want one that won't steam up my glasses or sunglasses.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @4    4 years ago

Tacos,

When you really are interested in a discussion, please come back. Right now you are not. If you are going to go on this line of discussion, do not comment any further. 

Raven Wing
Professor Guide
4.1.1  Raven Wing  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    4 years ago
If you are going to go on this line of discussion, do not comment any further. 

jrSmiley_13_smiley_image.gif

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.2  Tacos!  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    4 years ago
When you really are interested in a discussion, please come back. Right now you are not. If you are going to go on this line of discussion, do not comment any further. 

Um, excuse the fuck out of me then! You are WAY out of line!

I asked legitimate questions and made an honest comment about my experience with masks and glasses. Why are you being an ass? I don't fucking know what quilted cotton is and I don't fucking know how to tell where to get a mask made of what sounds like very specific materials.

So I asked the questions and you give me shit for it. [Removed]

[And removed] discipline me however you want if you want to bully me. I'm not going to tolerate you just accusing me of whatever the hell it is you are accusing me of and just not answer back. 

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
4.1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.2    4 years ago
Um, excuse the fuck out of me then! You are WAY out of line!

No I am not. Please read the CoC.

I asked legitimate questions and made an honest comment about my experience with masks and glasses.

You call this a legitimate question:

I am only a simple cave man. Your ways are strange to me. What the heck is "quilted cotton?" and does somebody make masks like this? Or must I both quilt my cottonandconstruct the mask myself?
And fucking discipline me however you want if you want to bully me.

First of all, don't you ever talk to me like that again. Second, the author has the right to decide what is and is not on topic. That is not bullying. And what am I accusing you of? Trying to making a joke of my article and I am not going to tolerate that either. 

Any further comment from you will be deleted. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.4  Tacos!  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1.3    4 years ago
First of all, don't you ever talk to me like that again.

Same to you. I asked legitimate, honest questions. You. judged me for it and you bullied me. Now you are doing it again.

You call this a legitimate question: I am only a simple cave man. Your ways are strange to me. What the heck is "quilted cotton?" and does somebody make masks like this? Or must I both quilt my cottonandconstruct the mask myself?

Yes, as a matter of fact, I do. Frankly, you owe me an apology.

Trying to making a joke of my article 

The only thing I joked about was my own ignorance about what constitutes "quilted cotton." I literally do not know what that means. I didn't say shit about you or your article that was jokey or insulting.

Second, the author has the right to decide what is and is not on topic.

I asked about the construction of face masks, which is literally the topic of the article. Is the standard of "off-topic" now "anything posted by Tacos!?" 

Any further comment from you will be deleted. 

Delete away! You're the boss after all and I have no recourse, do I. Flex your muscle however you like, but it's pretty ridiculous. 

MonsterMash
Sophomore Quiet
4.1.5  MonsterMash  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @4.1    4 years ago
Tacos, When you really are interested in a discussion, please come back. Right now you are not. If you are going to go on this line of discussion, do not comment any further. 

Wow, Tacos ask a question and you blow a gasket. you're out of line Perrie. Do the right thing, apologize to Tacos.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
4.1.6  Freewill  replied to  MonsterMash @4.1.5    4 years ago

Tacos and Monster - No more on this please.  Sometimes people interpret things much differently than others from time to time.  Trust me on this, I know from a great deal of experience in forums like this..  But in any case there is no reason for swearing at someone, especially Perrie.  None of us would have this forum without her.  When things like this come up please cool off before responding and politely reply that you were asking a legit question as you explained in your later comment.  Perrie would have understood that and perhaps reconsidered her original interpretation of what you were asking if you respond with calmness and reason.

Just my advice, not tying to lecture.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.7  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.4    4 years ago
The only thing I joked about was my own ignorance about what constitutes "quilted cotton." I literally do not know what that means.

Both quilting cotton and apparel cotton are 100% cotton and often plain weaves. Quilting cotton is a sturdy medium weight fabric meant to go through lots of washes. Think of a handmade quilt that can be washed often.

Quilting cotton is a very beginner friendly fabric, and it’s easier to use than apparel cotton. 

Tacos!
Professor Guide
4.1.8  Tacos!  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.7    4 years ago

THANK YOU! That wasn't so hard. I'm still not sure if I understand it, but it's a start, and I appreciate the effort. 

Think of a handmade quilt that can be washed often.

Interesting. It sounds stuffy, when you put it that way. I wonder what it's like trying to breathe through it.

sandy-2021492
Professor Expert
4.1.9  sandy-2021492  replied to  Split Personality @4.1.7    4 years ago

Also, quilting is sewing several layers together, often with a decorative stitch, so that the layers don't shift.  The quilts you might have on your bed probably have a layer of polyester fiberfill between the layers of cotton.  Quilting helps keep all that from bunching up together at one end of the quilt.

A quilted mask would have several layers sewn together to increase filtration.  And yes, it probably will feel a bit stifling.  All masks will fog up your glasses.  It's a matter of learning to breathe through them.  Try shallow breaths, through your nose, with slow exhalations.  It's a trick you learn when you wear masks for years for work.

Split Personality
Professor Guide
4.1.11  Split Personality  replied to  Tacos! @4.1.8    4 years ago
I wonder what it's like trying to breathe through it.

Have you ever scuba dived?

It's not that hard, you just have to learn how to adjust a wee bit.

Or suffer the consequences.

cjcold
Professor Quiet
4.1.12  cjcold  replied to  MonsterMash @4.1.5    4 years ago

[removed]

Gazoo
Junior Silent
5  Gazoo    4 years ago

I’m wondering what the difference is between a bandana and a handkerchief? The article mentions a folded handkerchief but i’ve never seen anyone wear an unfolded bandana.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Gazoo @5    4 years ago

Here is a video on what it is:

Gazoo
Junior Silent
5.1.1  Gazoo  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1    4 years ago

It looks like the difference is in how it’s folded, good to know. Thanks.

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.2  CB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1    4 years ago

I see people with the 'long' single ply material 'look' a lot. I just smile behind my mask? Because what can you do? It's just too many people to 'connect' with supportive information. I'd (may be you) will be overwhelmed. I will tell you I am so proud of my fellow Americans in the thousands around here and in the millions around the country that are participants in this grand exercise of trying to save our lives!

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.3  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  CB @5.1.2    4 years ago
I will tell you I am so proud of my fellow Americans in the thousands around here and in the millions around the country that are participants in this grand exercise of trying to save our lives!

I totally agree!

CB
Professor Principal
5.1.4  CB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1    4 years ago

Practical and fun. Two things:  1. I had forgotten about that last 'insert' of material into its opposite side from the Surgeon General's earlier video. 2. Love the 'entertainment' song - love the ladies fingernails ending in a full frontal by a—man! (Smile).

Gordy327
Professor Expert
5.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @5.1.3    4 years ago

The video is also a practical demonstration to those who claim wearing masks does nothing or might be misinformed about why masks are worn.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
5.1.6  Freewill  replied to  Gazoo @5.1.1    4 years ago
It looks like the difference is in how it’s folded

And also how it appears.  The one on the left makes one look like a 19th century bank robber, while the one on the right makes one look like a surgeon from the 1920's.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
5.1.7  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Freewill @5.1.6    4 years ago

I guess you can call it COVID style. 

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
6  Account Deleted    4 years ago

Where I live, "Sort of N-95" and surgical masks are now back  on the shelves at the big hardware / lumber yards and Sam's. Better than anything I can make.  In March, I gave my good N-95's to a local fire department. They couldn't figure out why I brought them in.

Afraid? Me? Damn right I'm afraid - but not the " nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance " type of fear. Just the fear of dying stupidly for not taking simple precautions.

At my age, if I get it, it would be like Russian Roulette with a .22 nine shot. Heck - I haven't finished the " The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire " yet. OK - I haven't started it yet - but still - I might read it.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
6.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  Account Deleted @6    4 years ago

Adam,

I hear ya. None of us know how this disease will play out and I would like to go to Australia before the big dirt nap. 

Btw I hear the Fall of the Roman Empire ending is a bit predictable, ;)

cjcold
Professor Quiet
6.1.1  cjcold  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @6.1    4 years ago

Dad and I were making plans for a New Zealand trip and then he took the big dirt nap just weeks before we were to set sail on a container ship (nice big cabins actually).

CB
Professor Principal
6.2  CB  replied to  Account Deleted @6    4 years ago

Sam's got sort of (3M?) N-95s. Okay!

True story (Sunday-again). Adam and Perrie! I am at Home Depot with my safety glasses adorned, my Kn95, and my gloves on. I finish my checkout and as I am leaving: A white man in a wheelchair is coming near the side entrance towards me. Friendly guy that I am I make eye contact and say, "Hello." He replies the same. Then he asks me, "Can you help me? Can you push me down to the end of the corner wall (of the storefront) towards Gardening?

Okay! I think. I look. He is clearly homeless for he has his 'bags' loaded on the wheelchair in respectable disarray. Lightning fast, the story of the Good Samaritan jumps into my otherwise questioning mind. Mind you, I am very careful and meticulous about the virus in general. I say, "Sure."  Now I am pushing his wheelchair using the handle bars. He is not talking so that is good I think to myself. He kinda reeks of sweat and pee, though. How am I breathing this (through my mask)? I push a bit faster. Then I caught myself going to fast. It is an 'easy push' for me in this wheelchair. What I realized is that if I go too fast and spill him onto the grinder—I would delay, in order to pick him up and that would be an additional expenditure of time and conversation.

I slow down. We make it to the end of the storefront. He asks me to go around the long side and down towards the back. This time I balk. (We had been a good strong wind on the 'walk' down). I did not continue on.

My point for bringing this up is not the human mercy involved. But, the "readiness" factor. Later as I went back over my mental checklist. I realized that I was prepared to help someone else in need while out, even though my preparations were really "all about me"!  (I went back inside the store/washed my hands/sanitized them/and threw away the gloves.)

We have to be "ready freddy" out there as best we can. I guess!

Thanks for 'listening' y'all!

CB
Professor Principal
7  CB    4 years ago

This will go to what I am often writing about conflicting messages from many influential sources. This AM on MSNBC (Craig Melvin) had Dr. Gupta who is answering a question from the public about who and when can we all be wearing (3M) N-95 masks to protect ourselves from aerosolized virus particles. (This specific question is near and dear to my view of n95 masks!)

Dr. Gupta replies (paraphrase):

'I hate the use of the word, "aerosolize" for the public, because coughs and sneezes produce big droplets. Aerosolized droplets (small droplets) are what we see in the intubation rooms where we experience lung secretions during the process. We should leave the [3M] n95 masks for those professionals.'

What is confusing about that reply is this.

When we take look at the laser video displays on this article above, we are looking at aerosolized particles spreading out during a cough (large and small droplets). Why would an emergency room doctor when asked directly by a "consumer" seeking a full-if not comprehensive answer-stumble through the response like that? Admittedly, it is a paraphrase but it is the gist of his answer.

Freewill
Junior Quiet
7.1  Freewill  replied to  CB @7    4 years ago
Why would an emergency room doctor when asked directly by a "consumer" seeking a full-if not comprehensive answer-stumble through the response like that? Admittedly, it is a paraphrase but it is the gist of his answer.

Indeed, and this is one reason I think that there is so much confusion about the effectiveness of masks, depending on which expert one listens to. Still no excuse to write masks off as completely useless as some tend to do.  The more I read (as many experts who have weighed in on this as possible) and the more studies like the one Perrie presents here, the more confident I am becoming that masks can indeed help.  Still, they really need to be coupled with distancing and hand washing to be most effective.  The info in this article on the most effective types of masks is awesome.  Does anybody here know where quilted cotton type masks might be commercially available?   I'm not confident in my ability to make a good one at home.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.1  CB  replied to  Freewill @7.1    4 years ago

It is why we need a "central authority" and for that reason I am frankly finding the CDC weak. I have gone to there website and been unimpressed with all the technical language, as if they are unaware that the public needs clear and unambiguous information in layman's terms. A lot of people are getting caught in the 'net' of this virus, simply because we have not been definitively and explicitly how to get out of the way of it! What a 'fumble' by those (all those) in charge.

Speak it in plain language, not medical jargon!

You know what pisses me off about this? It's the slick commercials with the models making fashion statements with 'fake' safe masks. "Copper-infused" this or "Metal-infused" that, "Non-medical grade." "Handsomely made to cover your cough and sneezes!' Et ceteras. It's all capitalism per se. As the small print disclaimers make it clear these masks can not protect against VIRUSES or specific viruses (coronavirus) - but they will help against bacteria spread and such.

People buy them up! People don't have time or inclination to read the small print. People are left with false security and high expectations. Moreover, people don't properly don the coverings or properly clean them as needed.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.2  Gordy327  replied to  CB @7.1.1    4 years ago
as if they are unaware that the public needs clear and unambiguous information in layman's terms. A lot of people are getting caught in the 'net' of this virus, simply because we have not been definitively and explicitly how to get out of the way of it! What a 'fumble' by those (all those) in charge.

Part of the problem is, politicians say one thing, medical experts say another, and confusion and mistrust ensues for everyone in between.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.4  CB  replied to  Gordy327 @7.1.2    4 years ago

It's so frustrating Gordy, the amount of 'labor' and energy (time-intensive) that it takes to try to stay on the up and up with this coronavirus. They say it is a 'dumb' virus, and it is. So why is it cleaning our clocks? People running to and fro, left and right, only to learn that two weeks in the past, we were all left rather exposed needlessly.  Sometimes I know it can not be helped, but sometimes it can be if people would just. . . help. (Sigh.)

This is one time in my, our, life when we need specific "politician/s" to shut up with the 'noise!' This virus likely could not strike our nation politically as a more vulnerable time.

Gordy327
Professor Expert
7.1.5  Gordy327  replied to  CB @7.1.4    4 years ago
It's so frustrating Gordy,

Tell me about it. 

the amount of 'labor' and energy (time-intensive) that it takes to try to stay on the up and up with this coronavirus.

We've been trying to keep up with it since it hit. We have not yet been able to get ahead of it. That's due to poor planning and response, especially by the government.

They say it is a 'dumb' virus, and it is.

What's a "smart" virus?

So why is it cleaning our clocks?

Because some people are misinformed, dumb, selfish, inconsiderate of others, delusional, take your pick.

Sometimes I know it can not be helped, but sometimes it can be if people would just

The sad part is, yes, it can be and could have been helped. 

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
7.1.6  Account Deleted  replied to  Freewill @7.1    4 years ago

There are now all sorts of masks available online from say Amazon or Wal-mart. Available for pickup at Walmart, Sam's, big hardware stores, Walgreens. Disposable and fancy $40 ones with replaceable filters.  There is no shortage - just like there is now plenty of toilet paper.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
7.1.7  Account Deleted  replied to  CB @7.1.4    4 years ago

Pretty much what you are doing is about all you can do.

Try to minimize trips to stores. Shop at slow times. Some grocery stores have curbside pickup that works pretty well. Order the stuff online - of course you don't get to walk past the day old discount cakes and cookies. Wipe off groceries when practical with alcohol. Change and shower after shopping. Stop going to swinger's parties, indoor church, mass protests and political rallies.

When you've done all you can, relax, you are not in control. Good time to learn oboe, programming in Excel, obscure card games, brush up on chess - stuff like that.

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.8  CB  replied to  Account Deleted @7.1.7    4 years ago

You're waay to practical. (Smile.) (Good tip: Off to the shower! Usually just throw shirt ('top') in dryer; but, I like your suggestion. A 'quickie' wash for the cause it is!) I can refresh my Excel programming (VBA) too!

CB
Professor Principal
7.1.9  CB  replied to  Gordy327 @7.1.5    4 years ago
The sad part is, yes, it can be and could have been helped.

See @8, please.

CB
Professor Principal
8  CB    4 years ago

Has this Administration outsmarted itself? Is this administration taken the 'long-track' look at the coronavirus 'effect' on our country?

In 'herding' the citizens of this country into the 'buzz saw' of this coronavirus looking to purge and 'grant' millions upon millions immunity, has the Trump Administration placed a future congress and new administration in the difficult position of having to formulate policies to care for millions upon millions of new and younger chronic social disabilities?

Science is discovering that coronavirus survivors have a battery of long-lasting internal maladies and physical conditions. Our leaders may come to regret deliberately sickening the citizens of our country! When the 'bill' comes due.

Perrie Halpern R.A.
Professor Principal
8.1  seeder  Perrie Halpern R.A.  replied to  CB @8    4 years ago
Science is discovering that coronavirus survivors have a battery of long-lasting internal maladies and physical conditions. Our leaders may come to regret deliberately sickening the citizens of our country! When the 'bill' comes due.

I've been saying this all along. It does this in cats. Now we are seeing that it does this to people. Who knows what is down the pike. 

CB
Professor Principal
8.1.1  CB  replied to  Perrie Halpern R.A. @8.1    4 years ago

They find that for a period (or longer?) the virus affects (attacks) the brain. That could spell 'Game Over' for a high number of survivors.

Nerm_L
Professor Expert
9  Nerm_L    4 years ago

People are supposed use a handkerchief whenever they cough or sneeze, at all times.  The pandemic hasn't changed that.  The coronavirus hasn't suddenly created a need to cover coughs and sneezes.

It's okay to use a handkerchief with a face mask, too.  Using a handkerchief to cover the face mask for a cough or sneeze will increase the effectiveness of the mask.  And it's okay to cough into the elbow while wearing a face mask, too.  The face mask is more convenient but doesn't eliminate the need to use a handkerchief.

Basic hygiene used to be taught as part of elementary health education.  When I went through elementary school, long ago and far away, all the kids were provided a handkerchief, soap, and toothbrushes as part of health education.  

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
10  Mark in Wyoming     4 years ago

256 256 256 256

These are my 4 mask options  a basic sanding mask for quick in and outs from the hardware store, fits a little better than a surgical mask

The one with the cage has a replacable filter and has an N-99 rating  even if it makes me look like Baine , or darth vader.

the grey one is a single layer  folds easily and fits in a pocket for  if needed  and is home sewn by yours  truly, I used my MC face shield as a pattern and it fits closer and tighter  than a surgical mask. basically tailored to my face

The tiger striped one is basically the same as the grey one , but is double layered to form a pocket on the inside that can accept a filter material if desired .

I carry one of the sanding mask types in my vehicle for quick stops and a mask is required , and carry one of my home made ones in case I forget the one in the vehicle.

CB
Professor Principal
10.1  CB  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @10    4 years ago

So you're Mark 'the model'! I love it.  Props on wearing masks! 3 CHEERS!  I highly recommend you wear the "Baine!" "Darth Vader!" or "Tiger!"  styles in public. You never know when any store aisle has been defiled my some mask-less bandit!

CB
Professor Principal
11  CB    4 years ago

Ah-ha! I caught the dastardly double-post bandit in action!  Mark! You're right masks are going to save us, the wearers, that is! I'm hearing it more and more. So glad you are one of us, wearers!

Mark in Wyoming
Professor Silent
11.1  Mark in Wyoming   replied to  CB @11    4 years ago

before you go giving kudos , those are the ones I have available to me , I already posted about wearing them else where so I will C&P here.

It is ultimately me who makes the choice to wear or not to wear a mask , I live in a state and an area where there is no mandatory mask order .
times I will wear a mask? in situations where I am in a crowd and social distancing is impossible to maintain, if in a crowd and distancing can be maintained , I will have it on hand on my person , it takes mere seconds to put on .again it is I who will evaluate the risks and make the choice . I will also wear it if a store or business mandated it for entry.
Times I wont wear a mask? it is again situation based , if im working in my own yard or garden and I am alone  no need for a mask , If I am driving in a vehicle alone  and unless im on my motorcycle no mask needed the mask while on the bike actually isn't a bad idea to keep the bugs out of ones teeth.
Because I live in a mainly rural area  that is sparkly  populated social distancing is not hard to maintain.
So if you see me or someone else without a mask on , take a good look at the situation , is it actually needed for what the person is doing ? a little common sense goes a long way. 

* post script , the baine/ vader mask though rated a n-99  is a valved system , it protects ME on inhalation , does nothing to stop anything from getting out on exhalation , I used it when welding and to protect from the noxious/ toxic fumes  and to protect from silicosis.

CB
Professor Principal
11.1.1  CB  replied to  Mark in Wyoming @11.1    4 years ago
* post script , the baine/ vader mask though rated a n-99  is a valved system , it protects ME on inhalation , does nothing to stop anything from getting out on exhalation, I used it when welding and to protect from the noxious/ toxic fumes  and to protect from silicosis.

Thank you for this clarification. That makes it good for you, and bad for the rest of us. How COULD you? We would be 'ruined' by your breath and never know what 'hit' us! (Gasp!) No, "baine/vader" mask can not have have my seal of approval (any longer)!

So if you see me or someone else without a mask on , take a good look at the situation , is it actually needed for what the person is doing ? a little common sense goes a long way. 

I see folks all the time without mask on and I keep silent about it. No need exacerbating their circumstances, peculiarities, or situations. Got a quick story for you:

Long about 3 weeks ago this Friday, I was out and about doing my runs and I made a pit stop at the area CVS store. Dashed in the store and dashed out no sweat. As I exited the automatic stores, this young white man yelled in my direction as he was passing the door from the parking lot:

"Hey, you got that 20 dollars you owe me?!"

Immediately I realized that I was being played with, because he soon broke into a smile and I was fully aware I had never seen this man in my life!

So I mumbled something passable and we both kept on our way with a smile on our faces.

Down by my parked car. Now there on the store front paved was sitting another older white man with greying temples on a 'seat-walker.' One of those "do-hickies" medical walker devices. As I approached him (none the wiser) he spoke up to say of the young white passerby, "He asked me to pay up his 20 dollars! And, I told him to come take it." (I'm smiling inside my mask and have an upbeat speech pattern as I listen to the recounting and still in-motion to my car.) Now I'm sizing him up: Sitting on walker, 'Vet' cap on (Respect!); and talking fhit.

The seated man continued: "I had something waiting for him, if he did." Still jovial, I said, "Oh?" He replied, "Yeah, I'm packing."

We exchanged a few more irrelevant words and I got in my car to leave the store and parking lot. He, for his part, got up to leave too. When he stood up, in his loosely fitted lounge pants, left possible as he turned to navigate his seat and himself away I could see it: the black butt of his gun was touching the 'lip' of his pants pocket.

I am thinking now: "Wow! This guy with the Vet hat is for real! Most vets you see on the street are not packing, even when homeless! This man did not look homeless to me. So I am not suggesting that! He looked like somebody 'therapeutically' out walking. (And taking care to take care of his own safety.)

I don't think I will ever forget this meeting, because that imagery of the "peek a boo" gun carries for me the moral to its story: Don't disturb people with distracting remarks about things (and masks) doing this period. Some of them are readying to 'blow off.'

Well, that encounter gave me much to think about. Why did I read this narrative up? It's a stark reminder not to bug people about their reasons for not having any mask on. Just wear my own 'damn' mask and enhance it besides!

Some people may not be in a good head space right now after so many months of this pandemic and what we are warned we are to look forward to coming!

Postscript: And for the expressed reason above, I would never criticize your mask choices in public! Cheers!