Via:  tessylo  •  4 years ago  •  61 comments

By:   Ed Mazza, Huffpost

Trump's Old Attack On Obama Looks Really Awkward In Light Of New Allegations

S E E D E D   C O N T E N T

Politics

Trump's Old Attack On Obama Looks Really Awkward In Light Of New Allegations

Ed Mazza

huffpost_Light.png July 8, 2020, 3:29 AM EDT

President   Donald Trump ’s academic history is coming under scrutiny as a new book alleges he cheated his way into college.

Those accusations are more than a little ironic given his frequent and unsubstantiated claims that former President   Barack Obama   was a “terrible student.”

Mary Trump , the president’s niece, reportedly writes in   Too Much And Never Enough   that Trump paid someone to take the SAT to get a high score on his behalf,   according to The New York Times .

The White House told Business Insider that the allegations were “ completely false .” But the accusations that Trump cheated his way into school paint his own past allegations against Obama in a new light.

“I heard he was a terrible student, terrible. How does a bad student go to Columbia and then to Harvard?” Trump   told The Associated Press   in 2011. “I’m thinking about it, I’m certainly looking into it. Let him show his records.”

Obama   graduated   from Columbia with a BA in political science in 1983 and magna cum laude from Harvard Law School in 1991. While at Harvard, he was the first Black president of Harvard Law Review.

Back in 2012, Trump also repeatedly demanded that Obama release his school transcripts. But Trump has refused to release his own academic records and even had his attorney threaten anyone who might reveal them.

Michael Cohen, Trump’s longtime personal lawyer who ultimately turned on him,   admitted in Congressional testimony   that he was ordered by Trump “to threaten his high school, his colleges and the College Board to never release his grades or SAT scores.”

Love HuffPost? Become a founding member of HuffPost Plus today.

This article originally appeared on   HuffPost   and has been updated.

Tags

jrDiscussion - desc
[]

Tessylo
Professor Principal
1  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

President   Donald Trump ’s academic history is coming under scrutiny as a new book alleges he cheated his way into college.

Those accusations are more than a little ironic given his frequent and unsubstantiated claims that former President   Barack Obama   was a “terrible student.”

Mary Trump , the president’s niece, reportedly writes in   Too Much And Never Enough   that Trump paid someone to take the SAT to get a high score on his behalf,   according to The New York Times .

The White House told Business Insider that the allegations were “ completely false .” But the accusations that Trump cheated his way into school paint his own past allegations against Obama in a new light.

“I heard he was a terrible student, terrible. How does a bad student go to Columbia and then to Harvard?” Trump   told The Associated Press   in 2011. “I’m thinking about it, I’m certainly looking into it. Let him show his records.”

devangelical
Professor Principal
1.1  devangelical  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

another piece of the puzzle falls into place.

Account Deleted
Freshman Silent
1.2  Account Deleted  replied to  Tessylo @1    4 years ago

"Trump cheated his way into school..." 

Ahhhh Say, Ahhhhh Say, I'm shocked, shocked Ahhhhh say! (Best Foghorn Leghorn imitation.)

Show of hands - how many are actually surprised at this revelation?

cjcold
Professor Quiet
1.2.1  cjcold  replied to  Account Deleted @1.2    4 years ago

Curious as to who Trump paid to do his homework and take his tests.

Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom
Professor Guide
1.2.2  Sister Mary Agnes Ample Bottom  replied to  cjcold @1.2.1    4 years ago
Curious as to who Trump paid to do his homework and take his tests

Wouldn't it be awesome if they were still around and willing to blab?

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3  seeder  Tessylo    4 years ago

ngcb7
ngcb7

Did One of Trump’s College Professors Call Him ‘the Dumbest Goddamn Student I Ever Had’?

Fact Checks, Viral Content / By Arturo Garcia / January 21, 2020

Claim

William T. Kelley, one of Donald Trump's college professors, called the future United States president "the dumbest goddamn student I ever had."

Rating

Decontextualized

Reporting

An often-circulated quote from a University of Pennsylvania faculty member attacking United States President Donald Trump was posthumously spread second-hand.

The purported remark attributed to Wharton School of Business professor William T. Kelley — “Donald Trump was the dumbest goddamn student I ever had” — has been spread several times on Twitter, and was recirculated on Facebook by the liberal group “Occupy Democrats”:

ngcb7

The remark was first brought to light by attorney Frank DiPrima in an op-ed for the left-leaning site Daily Kos in October 2017:

Dr. Kelley taught marketing management to both undergraduate and graduate students at Wharton. Dr. Bill was one of my closest friends for 47 years when we lost him at 94 about six years ago. Bill would have been 100 this year.

Donald J. Trump was an undergraduate student at Wharton for the latter two of his college years, having been graduated in 1968.

Professor Kelley told me 100 times over three decades that “Donald Trump was the dumbest goddam student I ever had.” I remember his emphasis and inflection — it went like this — “Donald Trump was the dumbest goddam student I ever had.” Dr. Kelley told me this after Trump had become a celebrity but long before he was considered a political figure. Dr. Kelley often referred to Trump’s arrogance when he told of this — that Trump came to Wharton thinking he already knew everything.

DiPrima maintained his account when interviewed by Philadelphia Inquirer magazine for a September 2019 story on the questions surrounding Trump’s time studying at Wharton:

It’s rare for a professor to disparage the intelligence of a student, but according to attorney Frank DiPrima, who was close friends with professor William T. Kelley for 47 years, the prof made an exception for Donald Trump, at least in private. “He must have told me that 100 times over the course of 30 years,” says DiPrima, who has been practicing law since 1963 and has served as in-house counsel for entities including the Federal Trade Commission and Playboy Enterprises. “I remember the inflection of his voice when he said it: ‘Donald Trump was the dumbest goddamn student I ever had!'” He would say that [Trump] came to Wharton thinking he already knew everything, that he was arrogant and he wasn’t there to learn.” Kelley, who passed away in 2011 at age 94, taught marketing at Wharton for 31 years, retiring in 1982.

The magazine also reported that, contrary to Trump’s boast that Penn was “one of the hardest schools to get into in the country,” the admissions officer who interviewed him (a friend of Trump’s father Fred, James A. Nolan) said that the school was taking 40 percent of all applicants. Nolan also described him as “definitely not a super genius.”

“I wish I hadn’t interviewed him,” Nolan also said. “In retrospect, I wish I hadn’t done that.”

Greg Jones
Professor Participates
3.2  Greg Jones  replied to  Tessylo @3    4 years ago

An often-circulated quote from a University of Pennsylvania faculty member attacking United States President Donald Trump was posthumously spread second-hand .

has been   spread   several times on   Twitter,   and was   recirculated   on Facebook by the liberal group “Occupy Democrats”:

Kinda tells us all we need to know

Tessylo
Professor Principal
3.2.1  seeder  Tessylo  replied to  Greg Jones @3.2    4 years ago

It's true and your comments to the contrary, mean squat.  

Ed-NavDoc
Professor Quiet
3.3  Ed-NavDoc  replied to  Tessylo @3    4 years ago

Well, I have to give you credit for citing something dead center on the bias fact check cites for a change.